Male HQ

Bangkok ( Thailand ) Covid-19 Discussion

gpfun

The government will block all travel to Thailand, including by Thais, for half a month to prepare "state quarantine" facilities after more local patients have been linked to imported cases.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government needs time to properly prepare for state quarantine.

"Related agencies will in the meantime prepare the places and coordinate with Thai embassies to ensure all Thais returning home will be quarantined and get proper medical checks," he said.     

even Thai cannot go back!!!

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK — The Prime Minister may impose a total lockdown order if the number of those infected and killed by the coronavirus do not drop within a week, a government spokeswoman said, even as four more people died of the virus.

Spokedwoman Naruemon Pinyosinwat said PM Prayut Chan-o-cha is “seriously considering” the drastic measure, which would bar anyone from leaving their home at all time, and his decision will be based on the pandemic numbers in the next seven days.

The news came as the figure of those infected increased by 103 to 1,978 and the number of those killed by the coronavirus and related health complications rose by four to 19 on Friday.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:14 PM, bishandude said:

i do, since its just nextdoor, haha

That's super convenient and an advantage but still think you need to go out as least frequently as poss.

Don't forget that in your once in two or three days there will be other people in the supermarket with you  so you are exposed then.

Talking of which, there are swimming pools in nearly every condo in BKK.

Just thinking aloud, I assume that people no longer swim, use the gym or the sauna.

8 hours ago, Guest Gast said:

That's super convenient and an advantage but still think you need to go out as least frequently as poss.

Don't forget that in your once in two or three days there will be other people in the supermarket with you  so you are exposed then.

Talking of which, there are swimming pools in nearly every condo in BKK.

Just thinking aloud, I assume that people no longer swim, use the gym or the sauna.

Condo gym n pool closed 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/coronavirus-scared-but-desperate-thai-sex-workers-forced-to-the-street

This is very sad.

BANGKOK (AFP) - A shutdown to contain the coronavirus has killed Thailand's party scene and forced sex workers like Pim out of bars and onto desolate streets. She's scared but desperately needs customers to pay her rent.

Red-light districts from Bangkok to Pattaya have gone quiet, with night clubs and massage parlours closed and tourists blocked from entering the country.

That has left an estimated 300,000 sex workers out of a job, pressing some onto the streets, where the risks are sharpened by the pandemic.

"I'm afraid of the virus but I need to find customers so I can pay for my room and food," Pim, a 32-year-old transgender sex worker, told Agence France-Presse in an area of Bangkok where previously bawdy neon-lit bars and brothels have gone dark.

Since Friday (April 3), Thais have been under a 10pm to 4am curfew. Bars and eat-in restaurants closed several days earlier.

Many of Bangkok's sex workers had jobs in the relative safety of bars, working for tips and willing to go home with customers.

When their workplaces suddenly closed, most returned home to wait out the crisis.

Others like Pim went to work the streets.

The government says it is ready to enforce a 24-hour curfew if necessary to control a virus that has infected more than 2,000 people and killed 23, according to official figures.

Thailand reported 102 new coronavirus cases and three more deaths, the country’s public health ministry said on Sunday (April 5).  

Pim is paying a heavy price for the movement restrictions - she has not had a customer for 10 days and the bills are stacking up.

Her friend Alice, another transgender sex worker, has also been forced to move from a go-go bar to the roadside. "I used to make decent money sometimes US$300 to US$600 (S$431 to S$862) a week," Alice says.

"But when businesses shut down, my income stopped too. We are doing this because we're poor. If we can't pay our hotel they will kick us out."

The occasional tourist loiters near clusters of sex workers, before a furtive negotiation and a quick march to a nearby hotel, one of the few still open on Bangkok's main tourist drag.

The already high risks of sex work have rocketed as the virus spreads.

Sex workers have flocked back to homes across the country in anticipation of several weeks of virtual lockdown before Thailand's night economy comes back to life.

There are fears that the malaise could last for months, yanking billions of tourist dollars from the economy and leaving those working in the informal sector destitute.

They include sex workers - an illegal but widely accepted part of Thailand's nightlife.

There are concerns that a Thai government emergency scheme to give 5,000 baht (S$217) to millions of newly jobless over the next three months will exclude sex workers because they cannot prove formal employment.

The Empower Foundation, an advocacy group for the kingdom's sex workers, says entertainment venues make around US$6.4 billion a year, many of them selling sex in some form.

Women are suffering the most from the virus measures, it says. Many are mothers and their family's main income earner, forced into sex work by lack of opportunities or low graduate salaries.

The group has written an open letter to the government urging it to "find a way to provide assistance to all workers who have lost their earnings".

As the 10pm curfew looms, Pim and Alice prepare for a final forlorn patrol for customers.

"I think the government has been really slow. They don't care about people like us who work in the sex industry," Alice said.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:33 PM, Since u r here said:

Is it only for bkk?? Saw the other thailand hotels not in bkk r operating as per normal

Other chain hotels closed down too. Le Méridien on Surawong road closed. I had a room booked there for SK. It was booked on points so I got those back. No issues. My hotel in Chiang Mai also closed. But it was a small one. 

Had to cancel all my flights as well. Thai and Bangkok Airways were easy. The money was quickly credited back to my credit card. Now struggling with Swiss and Singapore Airlines. They already canceled the flights but try to give me vouchers rather than the money back. To be continued... So much fun. 

2 hours ago, thickhead79 said:

The government reported 38 confirmed new coronavirus cases and one additional death in a briefing on Tuesday morning.

The total of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Thailand now stands at 2,258, and the cumulative death toll at 27.

thanks for the daily  updates. They just show rising bad numbers, but the also rising good numbers become increasingly important IMO.

Today we had 38 new cases, yes, but also 31 newly recovered cases to a total of 824, so the net increase to active cases was only 7 to 1407. That number has been rather stable for several days already, which is good news

image.png.699bf717b5943eedca0190bed956b32b.png

chart source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/thailand/

Edited by bkkuser

Thailand’s government confirmed on Wednesday 111 new coronavirus infections bringing the total number of infections to 2,369. It is a return to three-figure increases after two days of lower numbers.

The government said that 3 more persons, an American, a Russian and an Indian national, have died from the disease bringing the death toll to 30.

64 more people have recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recovered patients to 888.

Guest InBangkok
On 4/4/2020 at 10:55 PM, thickhead79 said:

Condo gym n pool closed 

Not sure about other condos but mine has 50 units of which perhaps 45 are occupied. Only about 5 residents use the pool and rarely is more than one person there at any one time. I can understand the need to close large pools, but surely it is possible to institute a booking system for condos. 30 minutes for peak periods and an hour for off peak. Provided hand sanitiser is used before entry and immediately on departure, I cannot see why this would not work. Am I missing something?

Thailand’s government said on Thursday that it had discovered 54 more coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours bringing the total number of cases to 2423.

The government said that 2 more people have died from the disease bringing the death toll to 32 including a French national.

Authorities in Bangkok have banned alcohol sales for 10 days to help prevent social gatherings that could spread the virus that causes Covid-19.

The ban wiill be in effect from April 10 to April 20 and is the metropolitan region’s latest effort to contain a surge in infections since early March. 

Alcohol is now proscribed for about 16 million people, as several others among the nation’s 77 provinces have already imposed curbs. Thailand as a whole is under a state of emergency and partial lockdown through April.

Thailand’s total number of Covid-19 patients rose to 2,518 with 45 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, and two more deaths, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Saturday (April 11). This compares with 54 new cases on Thursday and 50 on Friday.

Of the total, 1,135 patients have fully recovered and returned to their homes.

Thailand’s government confirmed on Sunday that it had discovered 33 new coronavirus infections bringing the total number of infected to 2,551.

It is the lowest number of new cases in a 24 hour period in the past three weeks.

“I am very encouraged by the news,” said government spokesman Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin. “But if we look at the countries around us and how bad the situation is getting, it is very worrying.”

There were 3 new fatalities bringing the death toll to 38.

83 more patients have recovered from the virus bringing the total number of discharged patients to 1,218.

Thailand’s total number of Covid-19 patients rose to 2,518 with 45 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, and two more deaths, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said on Saturday (April 11). This compares with 54 new cases on Thursday and 50 on Friday.

Of the total, 1,135 patients have fully recovered and returned to their homes.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:33 AM, Guest InBangkok said:

Not sure about other condos but mine has 50 units of which perhaps 45 are occupied. Only about 5 residents use the pool and rarely is more than one person there at any one time. I can understand the need to close large pools, but surely it is possible to institute a booking system for condos. 30 minutes for peak periods and an hour for off peak. Provided hand sanitiser is used before entry and immediately on departure, I cannot see why this would not work. Am I missing something?

I agree with that, I really don't see why private condo pools need to be closed. The adjoining changing and bathrooms maybe, but the pool itself? How is one going to to catch or spread the virus? Even if using the pool at the same time. I don't believe a virus could survive in chlorinated water, or can it?

My pool is also NEVER ever crowded, despite the condo having 500 units. 

1 minute ago, bkkuser said:

I agree with that, I really don't see why private condo pools need to be closed. The adjoining changing and bathrooms maybe, but the pool itself? How is one going to to catch or spread the virus? Even if using the pool at the same time. I don't believe a virus could survive in chlorinated water, or can it?

My pool is also NEVER ever crowded, despite the condo having 500 units. 

IF spore condo pool close why not Bangkok condo pool close as well?

Thailand’s government said on Wednesday that it had discovered 30 new coronavirus infections bringing the total number of infected to 2,643.

It continues a lowering trend of new infections with no increase of three digits in over a week.

There was 2 new fatality bringing the death toll to 43.

92 more patients have recovered from the virus bringing the total number of discharged patients to 1,497.

“Now is the time for us to pull together so that we can stop further infections,” said government spokesman Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin.

Guest InBangkok
On 4/12/2020 at 10:25 PM, thickhead79 said:

IF spore condo pool close why not Bangkok condo pool close as well?

I totally fail to see any logic in that. What Thailand has done/is doing to combat the virus is not necessarily what Singapore does. How do you pass on the virus if

1. there is only ever one person in the pool at any one time.

2. individuals using the pool must use hand sanitiser both before entering the pool and on leaving.

3. Only the pool can be used - not changing rooms, showers etc.

The US CDC has this guideline for pools - 

There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools, hot tubs or spas, or water playgrounds.

The government on Thursday reported 29 new local cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), lifting the total to 2,672, and three new deaths, increasing the toll to 46.

The number of recovered cases is now 1,593. 

The highest daily toll to date was the 188 recorded on March 22. Because testing has so far been limited, the actual number of cases may be higher.

7 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

I totally fail to see any logic in that. What Thailand has done/is doing to combat the virus is not necessarily what Singapore does. How do you pass on the virus if

1. there is only ever one person in the pool at any one time.

2. individuals using the pool must use hand sanitiser both before entering the pool and on leaving.

3. Only the pool can be used - not changing rooms, showers etc.

The US CDC has this guideline for pools - 

Yes, agree that it makes no sense.

If I was looking after the pools tho, I would close them. Cos I can (meaning no big backlash) and cos that's one thing less to manage (clean, wash down, etc).

That's probably the gist of it.

But lets play devils advocate.

1. some idiots will break the rule - there are so many pools in Thailand

2. what about coming down in the lift, etc? sanitizing is done just in the pool area? also, one is encouraging/allowing for more physical movement?

3. not all of us are civic minded. no changing room means water can/will be tracked back into the lift lobby, into the lift and this then requires someone to be around, to wipe up, etc.

Guest InBangkok
19 hours ago, Guest Gast said:

But lets play devils advocate.

1. some idiots will break the rule - there are so many pools in Thailand

2. what about coming down in the lift, etc? sanitizing is done just in the pool area? also, one is encouraging/allowing for more physical movement?

3. not all of us are civic minded. no changing room means water can/will be tracked back into the lift lobby, into the lift and this then requires someone to be around, to wipe up, etc.

I agree with you in respect of general public pools.. But I have been talking about private pools in apartment complexes. Access is very easily controlled and can be very strictly controlled. There is no need for changing rooms when those using the pools can change in their own apartments. Sanitisation of the lifts in my condo is easy. They are sanitised every hour and there are bottles of sanitiser at every level.

The rate of new coronavirus infections continued to slow, the government reported on Friday, but there was one new death.

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration reported 28 new local cases of Covid-19 infection, raising the total to 2,700, with the death of an elderly Thai woman increasing the toll to 47.

There were 30 new cases reported on Thursday and 29 on Wednesday.

3 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

I agree with you in respect of general public pools.. But I have been talking about private pools in apartment complexes. Access is very easily controlled and can be very strictly controlled. There is no need for changing rooms when those using the pools can change in their own apartments. Sanitisation of the lifts in my condo is easy. They are sanitised every hour and there are bottles of sanitiser at every level.

Wow, very good condo management. Good to know that some places are doing the right thing. Stay safe.

The Thai government said on Saturday that it had discovered 33 new coronavirus infections and now new fatalities.

The new confirmed cases bring the total number of cases to 2,733.

It is the first time in weeks that there have been no fatalities from the virus with the death toll remaining at 47 dead.

98 more people have recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recovered patients to 1,787.

Thailand’s government said on Sunday that it had discovered 32 new coronavirus infections bringing the total number of infected to 2,765.

It continues a lowering trend of new infections with no increase of three digits in over a week.

There were 0 new fatalities keeping the death toll at 47. It is the second day where no one has died from the virus.

141 more patients have recovered from the virus bringing the total number of discharged patients to 1,928. It is the largest number of recovered patients in a single day since the outbreak began.

“We are on the right track and we have to continue helping each other keep the number down,” said government spokesman Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin.

Edited by thickhead79
delete

Health officials reported 27 more cases of novel coronavirus but no additional deaths across Thailand on Monday.

Monday's figure was five lower than the 32 cases reported on Sunday, and took the total to 2,792. The accumulated death toll from Covid-19 remains at 47.

An additional 71 people were recorded as recovered from the disease on Monday, for a total of 1,999. A total of 746 remain hospitalised.

For the third day in a row, no new Covid-19 infections were reported in Phuket on Monday, the provincial communicable disease committee announced.

Thailand’s government said on Tuesday that it had discovered 19 new coronavirus infections bringing the total number of infected to 2,811.

The 19 new cases are the lowest number in over a month.

There was 1 new fatality with the death toll 48.

109 more patients have recovered from the virus bringing the total number of discharged patients to 2,108.

The government said that it would decide this week whether to restart the economy based on current infection numbers and recovery numbers.

If the government does decide to ease restrictions, it will do so first in the 32 provinces that have not reported any new infections in the past two weeks.

The government is also seeking proposals from the private sector on the reopening of businesses

Guest InBangkok
21 hours ago, Since u r here said:

water(in any) form and droplets wont that help spread covid? which is why all pools are all off

Not true. It is not the water that is the problem. It is the proximity of people in changing rooms, showers, sunbathing areas etc.

There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools, hot tubs or spas, or water playgrounds. Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g., with chlorine and bromine) of pools, hot tubs or spas, and water playgrounds should inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/water.html

Thailand’s government said on Wednesday that it had discovered 15 new coronavirus infections bringing the total number of infected to 2,826.

The 15 new cases are the lowest number of increased infections since the outbreak began.

There was 1 new fatality with the death toll at 49.

244 more patients have recovered from the virus bringing the total number of discharged patients to 2,352.

It is the most number of discharged patients since the government have revealed such statistics.

“Almost every fatality we have seen have been people with pre-existing conditions, therefore we must continue to be vigilant and protect the people we care about,” said government spokesman Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin.

Dr Thaweesin also encouraged members of the public who were showing symptoms of illness or high temperatures to get checked.

“Some people are saying our numbers are low because we do not test,” he said. “Well, now we have the infrastructure and new mass-produced test kits so if you have a fever or high temperatures please come in to get checked and it will be free of charge.

On 4/21/2020 at 10:38 AM, Since u r here said:

water(in any) form and droplets wont that help spread covid? which is why all pools are all off
places that are fun and attract crowd -> which is why all pools are off too

15 hours ago, Guest InBangkok said:

Not true. It is not the water that is the problem. It is the proximity of people in changing rooms, showers, sunbathing areas etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/water.html

exactly, it's proximity of people. Private condo pools (I'm speaking of such pools in BKK), by contrast, are not "fun places" and do not attract crowds. Often, people using a condo pool for swimming (or sunbathing) have it to themselves. "Busy" times may be 3 people. Plenty of space for distance, which unrelated people do anyway in that setting. The only real "crowds" gathering at a private condo pool are families with their kids, but they live together anyway so don't count.

And besides, the water is heavily chlorinated, so that would kill any viruses and bacteria (which it the very reason to chlorinate in the first place).

So I continue to fail to understand the rationale for closing these pools. But I know complaining about it won't help, so I'll just have to live with it.

Thailand’s government said on Thursday that it had discovered 13 new coronavirus infections bringing the total number of infected to 2,839.

The 13 new cases are the lowest number of increased infections since the outbreak began. The government is now seriously considering a partial re-opening of the country in May, Thai Enquirer understands.

There was 1 new fatality with the death toll now at 50.

78 more patients have recovered from the virus bringing the total number of discharged patients to 2,430.

“That we only have 13 new cases when the high was 188 in infections but the fight is still long, this disease could take as much as a year to keep under control,” said Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin.

Thaweesin said that hospitals around the country are increasing the number of tests and the country would transition into ‘active case’ finding to combat criticisms that the low numbers were due to the lack of testing.

16 hours ago, Since u r here said:

I supposed stop using our own thinking and more of scientific thinking pls and while i dont mind resting at the pool i will still go for a dip 

that's what I'm trying to do, scientific or logic thinking.

Here is another example that doesn't make sense: they closed the tennis court at a friend's condo. No playing tennis? Hello? More social distance is hardly possible.... 

At a private pool (not speaking of public ones where people have to use changing rooms etc) applying scientific thinking I fail to see any virus spreading risk. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.