Male HQ

Singapore Gay Club & Disco of yesteryear

GachiMuchi

• 1 year later...
Guest Guess

During the mid 90s...

My fren brought me to THE GATE. Entrance creepy. Like gates of hell.

Then another time to one club at East Coast Rd or Katong. Although they were playing Bananarama's Love in the first degree, the gargoyle statutes perched on the top of the walls, looking down on the dance floor in a rather menacing manner.  Anyone know of this club?

59 minutes ago, Guest Guess said:

During the mid 90s...

My fren brought me to THE GATE. Entrance creepy. Like gates of hell.

Then another time to one club at East Coast Rd or Katong. Although they were playing Bananarama's Love in the first degree, the gargoyle statutes perched on the top of the walls, looking down on the dance floor in a rather menacing manner.  Anyone know of this club?

Oh yes, I still remember THE GATE disco at Orchard Hotel where you got to go down a flight of steps to enter the disco.. Gay nights on Sunday nights.

🌈🌈🌈🌈😁😁😁

And the other one at Katong Shopping Centre also on Sunday nights for gays, is the Music World disco.

On Sunday, 30 May 1993 (I was there on that very fateful night) - Rascal disco was raided by several plainclothes police officers.. I still clearly remember all the bright lights were switched on & music stopped.. & the police officers were shouting very loudly at every patron!!.. Patrons without their identity cards were detained and brought to the police station, something which the police had no legal right to do.

After the closure of Rascals, Sunday gay parties organised by the Shadow management moved to other disco popular in the early 1990s such as Heartthrob (at Melia at Scotts), The Gate (at Orchard Hotel), Music World (in Katong) and Studebaker which later morphed into Venom (at Pacific Plaza).

It is interesting to note that men's night parties held since Studebaker were no longer run by the "Shadow Management".

The last Sunday night disco for me was`at Zirca at Clarke Quay.. Was there almost every Sunday nights with my kakis 😄😄😄😄.. & with their resident DJ George Leong.

That was back in 2012.. Honestly, I really enjoyed those years back then!.. Memories, memories. 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Edited by FunLoving

i remember going to this place in boat quay side, called Rev (i may be mistaken). Went with a mixed group including some girls after drinks at boat quay. First time seeing guys topless on the dance floor and i kissed a long haired topless malay guy hahaha

Guest Guess
9 hours ago, FunLoving said:

Oh yes, I still remember THE GATE disco at Orchard Hotel where you got to go down a flight of steps to enter the disco.. Gay nights on Sunday nights.

🌈🌈🌈🌈😁😁😁

And the other one at Katong Shopping Centre also on Sunday nights for gays, is the Music World disco.

On Sunday, 30 May 1993 (I was there on that very fateful night) - Rascal disco was raided by several plainclothes police officers.. I still clearly remember all the bright lights were switched on & music stopped.. & the police officers were shouting very loudly at every patron!!.. Patrons without their identity cards were detained and brought to the police station, something which the police had no legal right to do.

After the closure of Rascals, Sunday gay parties organised by the Shadow management moved to other disco popular in the early 1990s such as Heartthrob (at Melia at Scotts), The Gate (at Orchard Hotel), Music World (in Katong) and Studebaker which later morphed into Venom (at Pacific Plaza).

It is interesting to note that men's night parties held since Studebaker were no longer run by the "Shadow Management".

The last Sunday night disco for me was`at Zirca at Clarke Quay.. Was there almost every Sunday nights with my kakis 😄😄😄😄.. & with their resident DJ George Leong.

That was back in 2012.. Honestly, I really enjoyed those years back then!.. Memories, memories. 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Thanks for naming that club! Music World it is! 😄😄😄

Got police raid? You must have been terrified! 😱

There were some reports on some mega parties end of 2003. Guys were opening giving BJs during the event!🤭😆

Centro Sundays, get your friends to line up, call them and ask where they are in the queue and cab down just in time.

Centro was located at 1 Fullerton....last song memories were the best, remember making out on the dance floor.

Happy on Saturdays, a very happy place for me and with Mox on top, super convinient.

I think Sundays with the many different clubs, raids by the authorities were fun haha.

Yup those were the days of hedonism, old as I am, I remember going to Nation party in Sentosa where anything goes and we knew it would be shot down soon enough.

The scene now is very safe I would say. I spent more of the 1990s and early 2000s, so it was nice to see how much evolution there was to the scene but I have long retired from the scene.

Guest Curious
3 hours ago, Guest Guess said:

Thanks for naming that club! Music World it is! 😄😄😄

Got police raid? You must have been terrified! 😱

There were some reports on some mega parties end of 2003. Guys were opening giving BJs during the event!🤭😆

Yup. I was there that night. I distinctly recalled the frenetic dancing to Ace of Base I Saw The Sign. The uncanny thing was the lights were all switched on right at the very moment after the lyrics "I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes..."

It sure was an eye opener, and all of us got to see everything and everyone in his true glory, muscles, makeup and all... And if course, the men in blue.

Not a big deal. Our nric no. was taken down, and 45 min late, the lights went back off, the disco music came on, and we danced the night away with the groovy guys we eyed flirtatiously while waiting for our turn to give our nric no.

Guest Guess
4 hours ago, fitcubsg said:

Centro Sundays, get your friends to line up, call them and ask where they are in the queue and cab down just in time.

Centro was located at 1 Fullerton....last song memories were the best, remember making out on the dance floor.

Happy on Saturdays, a very happy place for me and with Mox on top, super convinient.

I think Sundays with the many different clubs, raids by the authorities were fun haha.

Yup those were the days of hedonism, old as I am, I remember going to Nation party in Sentosa where anything goes and we knew it would be shot down soon enough.

The scene now is very safe I would say. I spent more of the 1990s and early 2000s, so it was nice to see how much evolution there was to the scene but I have long retired from the scene.

You mean regression?🤣

3 hours ago, Guest Curious said:

Yup. I was there that night. I distinctly recalled the frenetic dancing to Ace of Base I Saw The Sign. The uncanny thing was the lights were all switched on right at the very moment after the lyrics "I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes..."

It sure was an eye opener, and all of us got to see everything and everyone in his true glory, muscles, makeup and all... And if course, the men in blue.

Not a big deal. Our nric no. was taken down, and 45 min late, the lights went back off, the disco music came on, and we danced the night away with the groovy guys we eyed flirtatiously while waiting for our turn to give our nric no.

What a relief it must have been! 💪👏 🙏

Guest Guess

Anyone who was an 80s teen and been to RUMOURS for their tea dance?

Boogie to:

Rick Astley's Together Forever

Pet Shop Boys' Always On My Mind

Bananarama's I heard A Rumour Miami Mix WOOOOH

Debbie Gibson's Shake Your Love. Changed to Shake Your Cock by teenage boys.

:lol: 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.