Male HQ

HCI Discrimination of LGBTQ News Discussion

On 7/21/2022 at 7:03 PM, sgmaven said:

According to a Straits Times report, Focus on the Family's Relationship Workshop, the one at the centre of the controversy in 2014, had been attended by some 14,000 students across 13 schools. So HCI was definitely NOT the only school that contracted Focus on the Family to run that workshop.

And only one girl at HCI voiced out the problem???

That is a real disaster. 14,000 students and only one voiced out.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, Spugnatura said:

And only one girl at HCI voiced out the problem???

That is a real disaster. 14,000 students and only one voiced out.

The tragedy is that it took a 17 yo girl to blow the whistle. If you bother to read about the incident, after her Facebook post about the "workshop", it started an online protest that was signed by hundreds of alumni and then-students of HCI

Слава Україні!

On 7/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, singalion said:

Your post alleges that there had been similar happenings in the past.

Be careful with your wording, if not I predict trouble sooner or later...

Exactly! That is why I said his posts were libelous!

Слава Україні!

On 7/21/2022 at 8:10 PM, singalion said:

Your post alleges that there had been similar happenings in the past.

Be careful with your wording, if not I predict trouble sooner or later...

This is not the first time sexuality education in HCI failed so miserably. It is a fact the school had failed their students more than once. If they dare to sue me and successfully so means they are damn sure the judge will find nothing wrong with the content.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:24 PM, sgmaven said:

Two incidences in a span of 8 years breeds notoriety? What's more, they were under different principals! Then NUS is far more notorious for peeping toms and underwear thieves!

It is twice too many!

Maybe it was just students in other schools were were all uncritical and unreflective or simply not at all paying any attention to the talks.

I hope is the latter!

notorious
/nə(ʊ)ˈtɔːrɪəs/

adjective

1. famous or well known, typically for some bad quality or deed.

While I agree that the 2 instances shouldn't have happened, it by no means makes HCI notorious for poor sex ed! Go ask anyone on the streets about their views on HCI, and most will not even mention sex ed!

Слава Україні!

Guest Guest

https://mothership.sg/2022/07/hwa-chong-anti-lgbt-police/

Anti-LGBT talk at Hwa Chong Institution under police investigation

It is not known who lodged a police report or how many were made.

An incident at Hwa Chong Institution (HCI) has come under police investigation.

This was after a school counsellor allegedly gave a sex education talk on July 13 using content that discriminated against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT+) people.

According to The Straits Times, reports were lodged with the police regarding this incident, but no details were given as to who made them or if any law has been broken.

What presentation touched on

The counsellor gave the presentation to Secondary 4 students, who were told a large proportion of homosexuals are paedophiles and a majority of them have problems with intestinal worms, among other unsubstantiated claims.

Information from the presentation slides were then circulated online.

Following the news that HCI held such a talk, it was reported that the counsellor was reprimanded and suspended from conducting lessons on sexuality.

The school did not approve the content of the presentation.

LGBT+ people afforded protections under the law

ST also reported that Minister for Home Affairs and Law K. Shanmugam had reiterated in Parliament in March that there were protections for LGBT+ people in Singapore under the law.

Amendments to the Maintenance of Religious Harmony Act (MRHA) included making any attack on any member of the LGBT+ community because of his or her identity, or on LGBT+ groups, an offence.

The targeted group can also include foreign workers or new citizens.

The amendments to the act were passed in October 2019, but they have yet to come into force, ST also reported.

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) told ST that the delay was due to the ministry training officers on how the law, when operationalised, would work, and developing and testing reporting systems.

MHA is also informing all the religious organisations of the obligations before bringing it into force, the ministry added, explaining the delay.

At the moment, acts involving hurt or incitement of violence are already criminalised in the Penal Code, as well as the Protection from Harassment Act (POHA), to protect individuals from harassment and abuse, MHA told ST.

An example of a potential offence in this HCI incident that could be investigated is causing harassment, alarm or distress to a person under Section 4 of the POHA, as an LGBT+ person might have been in the audience when the presentation was given, Singapore Management University (SMU) law professor Eugene Tan said.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see that the School's Board is involved in the investigation. I doubt that with all the media coverage, the counsellor will survive with his job in place. That said, I think some schools would "gladly" take him, considering that they know his views on this topic...

Слава Україні!

Hwa Chong counsellor who delivered anti-LGBTQ content suspended from all duties

hwachong%28ZB%293.jpg?VersionId=MXJWWEK0

Hwa Chong has been watching out for students who may have been affected by the counsellor's presentation. ZAOBAO FILE PHOTO

PUBLISHED

AUG 2, 2022, 11:06 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - The Hwa Chong Institution (HCI) counsellor who made a presentation containing discriminatory content has been suspended from all duties pending further investigation by the school board.

The school has been watching out for students who may be affected after the HCI employee had included content discriminating against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) people in his presentation to the school's Secondary 4 cohort on July 13.

Teachers have been vigilant in monitoring their students' well-being, and students who have concerns or require support have been encouraged to approach school leaders or a trusted adult in school, said Education Minister Chan Chun Sing in a written reply to questions in Parliament on Tuesday (Aug 2).

The counsellor had earlier been suspended from conducting sexuality education lessons after the incident, with HCI saying the presentation content was not approved by the school.

Non-Constituency MP Hazel Poa had asked what duties the counsellor is continuing and whether safeguards will be put in place against a recurrence of the incident.

Mr Xie Yao Quan (Jurong GRC) had asked if the Ministry of Education (MOE) is aware of any student seeking help, and when MOE expects to complete any investigations into the incident.

According to images of the presentation that were shared on social media, the presentation slides contained unsubstantiated claims such as how a majority of homosexuals have problems with intestinal worms and how a high proportion of them are paedophiles.

The slides also associated homosexuality with problems such as alcoholism and sexual assault.

Mr Chan said parents and students have been given the assurance that the views expressed by the counsellor do not reflect those of HCI.

He added: "The school has also emphasised the importance of respect and care for everyone in the school community."

The school is reviewing its processes to ensure alignment with MOE's curriculum and guidelines, he said.

Edited by GachiMuchi

On 8/3/2022 at 2:04 PM, StockBottom said:

He should be fired and jailed.

If he did the same thing wrt to race or religion, he would already be arrested and charged.

There are double standards for different communities.

What to do?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

It is the power in numbers... I am sure slander against a religion with very few adherents wouldn't get much backlash. Any group of people who can rally together to form a voting bloc of significance cannot be trifled with by the government. That is why the government has been trying to "appease" the LGBTQ+ in Singapore, in hopes that it doesn't rally together to really be as significant as a religious group...

By "appease", I mean saying the "right words" to make it seem that we are treated equally, etc.

Edited by sgmaven

Слава Україні!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.