Male HQ

Movie Recommendations / Reviews (Str8, Non-Pxxn) (Compiled)

Guest IslandMan

Guest IslandMan

Greetings People.

Royston Tan's Latest Film '4:30' Opens In Cinemas June 29th!!

4.jpg

Singapore's most promising young filmmaker & Singapore's latest filmmaking icon, Royston Tan promises yet another unforgettable film in only his 2nd feature film, '4:30'. If its 1 movie you have to catch, this must be it.

Leave Hollywood aside for a moment, we have a gem of a good movie in '4:30'.

Come On Singaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapore!

www.zhaowei.com/430

Its a must watch from the maker of the highly acclaimed '15 The Movie'.

http://www.zhaowei.com/15synopsis.html

*Spread the news. Catch 4:30. You'll be blown away.

Bring tissues. You might tear.

Royston Tan (in brief):

Collected over 40 international & local awards for documentaries, short films & feature films.

Asean Director of the Year 2001

Young Artist of the Year 2002 - Singapore National Arts Council

Asia Most Promising Talents 2003 - Netpac Jury

Conferred the title "TOP 20 ASIAN HEROES" - TIME Magazine for being bold, brave & remarkable in his field.

*Royston Tan's willingness to push the creative envelope has made him a hero to the city's independent artist.

Royston Tan's '15':

(selected achievements)

Winner of the Netpac Fipresci World Critic Award at the 16th Singapore International Film Festival

-broke festival's record for the fastest selling local film in the history of the festival.

First ever Singapore film to be invited into competiton for the Venice Lion of the Future Award.

Winner of the Deauville Asian Film Festival - Special Jury Award.

Winner of the Buenos Aires VI Festival Internacional de Cine Independiente - Best Director.

*drop me something for any form of queries. i'd be happy to entertain them.

& do repost it up in as many places as you can. thank u!

Love & Cheers

|slandman%7Boption%7D

Guest HottieLover

Greetings Booooys!

Royston Tan's New Feature "4:30"

Opens In Cinemas June 29th. (Thursday)

Shaw Theatres.

http://www.royston-tan.blogspot.com

"4:30" stars Korean hottie, Kim Young Jun, in bathroom scenes & at most times half-naked. watch & rate him yourself.

here's the previews:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/furzt/174682965/

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g163/gaffur/4.jpg

I hereby urge for all in Singapore to catch our very own national hero's

new movie, "4:30", opening this thursday!

A great chance to show the world what we in Singapore can achieve!

"4:30 is quiet and reflective. A big hit at the recent Singapore Film Festival, it has served to cement Tan's position as a leading young director with an acute ability to observe the world and translate those observations into captivating cinema. - CNN "
"With an intelligent mixture of gorgeous art direction and complex psychological perspectives, Royston Tan has probably created the most mature and accomplished Singapore feature production to date. ..with his latest bow, you owe it to yourselves to witness more from arguably Singapore's most talented auteur. - Justin Deimen of moviexclusive"

Singapore's most promising young filmmaker & Singapore's latest filmmaking icon, Royston Tan promises yet another

unforgettable film in only his 2nd feature film, "4:30". If its 1 movie you have to catch, this must be it.

Leave Hollywood aside, we have a gem of a great movie in "4:30".

Come On Singaaaaapore!

Spread the news. Catch "4:30". You'll be blown away.

Bring tissues. You might tear.

For 4:30's Trailer, Further Information & Much More On National Hero Royston Tan:

Royston Tan

Love & Cheers

|slandMan.

agreed that we should support him, saw his "15" (short film version) and "CUT", both original, creative and not to mention provocative.

Definitely a change from the other now "famous" director, whom constantly on the lips of our politicans and specialize in slapstick humor...

read 4:30 movie review in today ST life.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

• 7 months later...
Guest boy2man

Came across this Chinese New Year movie by Jack Neo opening this coming Thursday (15 Feb)... Just Follow Law... starring Fann Wong and Gurmit Singh.

About office politics and civil servant mindsets. Fann and Gurmit have breakthrough roles. Looks interesting. :thumb:

watched the trailer, err... would just wait for TCS to show his movie on TV or worst still for TCS to hire him to produce a 20 episodes drama.

it would be fun to poke into gahmen agencies

or

it is fun to do a male-female switching role

but to handle 2 topics together in one time is an overkill...

Guest Rapt Guest

I watched this film at a press conference for reporters. Jack Neo dishes out the usual slapstick satire, only this time in relation to government officials. Don't want to reveal too much, but you'll see the film cover the James Gomez saga. Nothing really subversive or political, just storytelling that is very paced and very Jack Neo.

Of the cast, Fann Wong stood out for her portrayal as an uncouth man - very natural with comic timing too. It's definitely her most impressive (and funny) performance so far. Gurmit was also funny, but in an awkward way after the soul-swap. His portrayal was more subdued than Fann's (but maybe that's because he's playing a woman while Fann's playing a man).

The only thing I didn't quite like was the product placement. Jack Neo and Fann's adverts were strategically placed in the film. Nevertheless, this is a small grouse. I highly recommend everyone to watch this film, if nothing else, to see Fann's performance as a man. She was perhaps competent enough in the past but this role really makes her acting stand out. :clap:

This movie has good review from the new paper. The reviewer even said "If there is one reason to watch this movie, its Fann". Hmmm.... the reviewer is never a fan of Fann but she said this role of hers make her sit up and take notice.

So boring. This year like got not many good films to watch. I think I will give this film a miss. If I want to hear people complaining about the inefficiency of the garmen, I'd rather meet my friends at the coffeeshop and listen to them rant on and on about the civil servants. Free somemore.

If I must see a film during CNY, it must be a feel-good nonsense movie. So it's either Epic Movie (which got dismal reviews) or Nobbit with Eddie Murphy (even worst reviews). Hmmm.... tough choice.

Guest boy2man

Watched this film just this evening...

Good points:

(1) Fann Wong. All the hype about her playing the uncouth man well is really true, to the point where it was quite shocking and unbelievable she would actually do those things. Critics of her acting should watch this film to see just how impressive she is here. Finally, she has a "dai biao zuo" after Return of the Condor Heroes and Shanghai Knights.

(2) Gurmit Singh. Finally, a proper starring role after Phua Chu Kang. This could be his next "dai biao zuo" as well...

(3) The emotional scenes between Gurmit and daughter, Fann and her mother. This movie made me reflect on the little relationships we tend to take for granted. I actually felt a little empty towards the end...

Not so good points:

(1) Cheap-looking sets and props (especially the stage show towards the end). I wish Jack Neo had more budget, seriously. What to do, this is not financed by Raintree Pictures...

(2) Choppy editing - Jack Neo's still weak in this area despite this being his 10th film. The film needs proper transitions. He should sack the editor.

(3) Lack of a political satire. Wish there were more of those, and wished Jack Neo hadn't self-censored himself...

from a fren who has watched this:

the point is Jack Neo never dare to step too much into the taboo region, so bascaily scratched the surface and leave a sloppy ending.

jack neo has to balance betw a comedy and social drama

if only roystan tan is taking charge, maybe the movie will be more truthful and in depth

Guest boy2man

I think Jack Neo should not have created unrealistic expectations. From the press releases and all that, one would have thought Jack Neo would poke some serious fun at the government. Instead, the most he got to doing that was the 'James Gomez' scene involving Fann's mother.

What Neo improved on - and was not reported in the press - was characterisation. He created characters that were as real as those kids in I Not Stupid, without either being stereotypical or maudlin (like the kids in Homerun). The two lead characters were also lifted up by the impressive performances of Fann and Gurmit. Fann was so good that if this role doesn't shut anyone's mouth up regarding her versatility and repertoire, nothing else will. Gurmit's career, prior to this film, was solely defined by PCK. This film should reasonably give his career (and that of Fann's) a fillip.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Many people agree with me, no matter how many films Neo make basing on the bad side of our society. Nothing can be changed what have decided by the elite fews. Neo has often being used for window dressing.

I have shun Neo films because the hypocrisy indeed making him a lots of money, if you and me go to see our frustration being enacted in cinema. nothing is going to be different after the show end.

You mean when you step out of the show, sometime must change?

Are you suggesting that if we see those injustice on the show, we should go and find MP to highlight those injustice and make them take action? :unsure:

or do you really believe that a man and woman can switch soul?

You seow or not? It is just a show. It should be seen only for it's entertainment value and nothing more.

It should be seen only for it's entertainment value and nothing more.

I totally agree.

The film started fairly well, and was a bit funny but the last third of the movie was so bad and stupid the only reason I stayed back was because I was watching it with a new friend (was it a date? I dunno, because there was a friend of his sitting a few rows back) and I get to rub my knees against his thunder thighs. :P And he enjoyed eating my homemade (made at home by my female cousin) chocalate almonds cookies which I had to smuggle into the cineplex under my sweater. :D

If your IQ is above 100, don't go and watch this stinker. You will 100% regret it. The sets and special effects are so bad, I am sure the final year students at the Nanyang Poly film school can do better. For long stretches during the movie, I was very thrilled - not with the movie, but at the subtle touches of our thighs and arms rubbing against each other. :P

I enjoyed myself very much but not with the movie. It sucks! Just wish my date will too but...nothing happened. :( Oh well....

Guest Guest

The film already made 2 million locally and Jack Neo said he quite happy and wished for more. So greedy. But you have to give it to him- he's the only one in Spore who can guarantee box office result no matter how bad the film is. He said his next film will be about gangster. How 'original'! I think gangster film has been done to death.

If any director in Singapore want to be original, how about making a movie about a Blangladeshi worker going to Lorong 12 for a quickie, met a Chinese prostitute and promptly fell in love with her.

Show them going through the trial and tribulations of falling in love and trying to get married in Singapore!!! Fat chance. Imagine the face of the officer at Registry of marriage when this couple go there to try to register their marriage. :lol:

Expose the hypocrisy of the unjust local mindset against such relationships.

Use ONLY real foreign workers - Blanglas, Filipinas, Indonesians maids, mainland Chinese hookers, Thais workers etc. No professional actors or actresses.

MM LKY said he wants Singapore to be a truly first world nation in ten to twenty years time. I would like to see if in twenty years time, whether maids are allowed, like in the West, to go out and have a social life after they finished work for the day. Currently I think if any family found out their maids have a boyfriend outside and are having sex, I think the maid will be sacked on the spot.

Singapore directors want to be original??? Then dare to be REALLY ORIGINAL!!

Guest boy2man
The film already made 2 million locally and Jack Neo said he quite happy and wished for more. So greedy. But you have to give it to him- he's the only one in Spore who can guarantee box office result no matter how bad the film is. He said his next film will be about gangster. How 'original'! I think gangster film has been done to death.

This movie was stoned to death; the only positive comments were on Fann Wong's breakthrough performance. I think most of the credit for the film's box office results this time should go to Fann rather than Jack.

I'm sure you have seen the pre-launched poster of the latest film. 300, which features the masculine, six or eight-pack abs and rock-hard chest of the fighter warrior at the cinema lobby. This new film, a bit like The Gladiator, should be seen for the men physique at their finest. According to The New Paper review (which gave 4 stars) the reviewer has 'never seen so many rock-hard ads, bulging biceps and sculpted torsos sharing the same screen at the same time'. Sounds like my kind of movie. :D

I first saw the trailer in June last year and my first reaction was...

HOLY SHYT!! That's some incredible film making!

I'm more attracted to the visual aesthetics than anything else (I mean the visual graphics, not the men).

Another movie with a very interesting style of film making is A Scanner Darkly. You should check that out.

June last year? That early? Supposely most of the film is shot in blue and green screen and superimposed later with the latest CGI. The aesthetics or style of this film is compared to Sin City, another visually stunning film-making. For me the best stunt in the film should be the body of these hunks. Hmmm...

ED, not most of the scene, ALL of the scene were filmed in front of the blue screen, same as Sin City.

btw the original (should read it, quite cool) all the spartans warriors were naked except for the cape. i am sure that makes a good p--n material :)

another bod to look out for is the Persian king, according to report, he wore a tight gold color shorts that, ahem, enhanced his "assets"

Guest Guest

Will be watching it next week. The other film I really like to watch is Mr Bean Goes Europe. Saw the trailer and really laugh out loud. Kind of missed the funny man.

Half nude? They wear skin tight briefs/speedos. I'd call that 89% nude already.

By the way, yes, teaser trailers can be released as early as ten months in advance. The Transformers teaser I first saw around September... and it's only releasing this year in July.

Not to mention the highly hyped Spider-Man 3. Venom is not really revealed in the teaser nor the official trailer, but if you search youtube hard enough, there is but ONE video that shows a slight snippet of Venom. He claims that it's leaked from Sony Pictures website.

And if you search Resident Evil: Extinction, the teaser has been around since December, but it's official release date is September 2007... so... never too early for a teaser. Just that the wait is annoyingly long.

I have been waiting for Transformers since they first announced shooting in 2005. Almost there...

The New York Times said 300 is ” is about as violent as “Apocalypto” and twice as stupid. Adapted from a graphic novel by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley, it offers up a bombastic spectacle of honor and betrayal, rendered in images that might have been airbrushed onto a customized van sometime in the late 1970s. Devotees of the pectoral, deltoid and other fine muscle groups will find much to savor ...".

Exactly. Tons of muscle boys. Watched it last night and felt an urge to hit the gym at 11:48pm. Lots of sexy chests. Every warrior had a 6 pack washboard abs. And I was drooling over Gerard Butler's thighs. Wish I had my head between his hunky legs. Yummmmmmm. Got me so horny that I must have pumped a hole in my friend's butt. Am sure we were both thinking of all the hunky guys in the film!

It was a very pretty film. Great effects and lovely mise-en-scene. The story is quite ok. It IS based on historical events. These things did happen. I don't think Xerses is that gay tho.

Guest TopChineseFan
Got me so horny that I must have pumped a whole in my friend's butt.

hi TopChinese,

Your sex drive is very high!

Do you have sex at least twice a week?

300 is not based on historical events. It's fiction, just that Frank Miller used characters, nations and tribes from actual history. I doubt there would be such a 'God-King' like Xerxes. And I don't think 300 Spartans could take out that many soldiers.

*Spoiler Alert*

Do not read beyond here if you haven't watched it.

I wish they would make a sequel for this, because I would love to see the war scene.

*Spoiler End*

One thing I liked about the movie was the aesthetics, definitely. Although I'm not into guys like that (aka Incredible Hulk-ish), I can really admire their physique. But I hope everyone knows that most of it is edited and airbrushed. The power of CGI and Macs.

To me it's not THAT violent because most of it is CGI anyways. It kinda reminded me of Quentin Tarantino's first Kill Bill instalment... the scene where the Bride starts slashing those Yakuzas into half. At first it's very nauseating, but after about 10 minutes into the entire bloodbath, I started laughing at how corny and cheesy it was.

Maybe that's the effect that Tarantino wants, i.e. very campy and ridiculous, but 300 reminded me alot of that. Honestly, I started laughing when Xerxes made his appearance.

He reminds me ALOT of Kumar... and most of my friends agree.

yes the battle was real where 300 spartans fight to the death against the invading persians, the outcome was the unification of Greek various states against persians.

of coz frank miller and Hollywood gloried the battle with enough sex appeal. i am sure many bottoms would love to be jabbed by the spartans' "spears" :P

Guest Guest

It was revealed that nude wrestling was a form of popular sport during that period. And if the men got married early they were not allowed to see their wives often and had to stay in camp with their mates for training. No wonder gay culture was so prevalent in those days.

Well, all the muscular guys in the movies are so nude, even the king is totally nude :P:P:P (easy for hot sex for 1 after the other if he got 2 or 3 'wifes'?) haha(that remind u ? Topchinese?)

:P:P

Anyway, it is a nice movie and worth watching with ur love 1...

(Why huh? there is no HIV disease? hmmm don know how is their sex life at there.....)

258yvky.jpg

There's this movie called Titus based on Shakepeare's play, Titus Andronicus.

There's a scene where there was a mass orgy going on in the main hall of the palace and there was even man on man action. I guess sexuality didn't really matter back then.

And I assumed that it was during almost the same era as 300.

• HendryTan changed the title to Movie Recommendations / Reviews (Str8, Non-Pxxn) (Compiled)
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked, unlocked and unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.