Male HQ

The Case Of A & B (Money Matter)

cock brand

Both A and B are my friends for many years.

B was going to Bangkok for holiday during CNY and A asked him to buy him back some stuff and also duty free goods.

A gave B $500.

B came back with nothing and said he got pickpocket in BKK on the way to buy those stuff and he lost his own money too.

A asked me should he insist on getting his money back, afterall B should be responsible for it once money is in his hands

B asked me why should he pay back; he was only doing a favour and it will be double whammy for him to pay back;

also if don't kaypoh won't get pickpocket.

Actually, I think B should pay back but didn't want to say anything now when the situation is still so tense.

I even thought of suggesting paying back half the amount.

So how when they ask again?

Don't want to make anyone feel bad.

Edited by cock brand

"A was going to Bangkok ..." type-po error? :)

"if don't kaypoh won't get pickpocket.." what was the story behind this statement?

Presumingly, both are "Can-do" friends for years & if I am in either both A & B position:

If I m B, I will return the $$$ in full amount to A.

If I m A, I will "rest the case"

Hary

Same as Hary...but my reason is mainly based on the insight of

- karma : if B tells a lie, he has to answer to his own karma

- attachment : if I am A, just let go and treat as bad luck. I am not going to suffer from this loss and life goes on

Once bitten, twice shy? The challenge will be whether A still trusts B in future?

z

- attachment : if I am A, just let go and treat as bad luck. I am not going to suffer from this loss and life goes on

Once bitten, twice shy? The challenge will be whether A still trusts B in future?

Hey Comrade, welcome back ....:) plus the usual philosophic thoughts of yours ..

We are still pretty much in-sync :) after so-long-no-see :)

Hary

if i am B, i would pay the $500 back. If I had offered to help, I should be responsible for bringing the stuff, if not, the money back.

I don't want people to malign me and question my integrity for pocketing that $500 with an excuse. Anyway, since someone entrusted me with his valuables, i should have taken reasonable care on the stash. If it is lost, means i've have been negligent and i should be responsible.

If you bought a book through Amazon and the next day they claimed "Wrath of God", tidal waves sunk one of their shipments and won't be delivering your book (and no refund) anymore. Should they honor the sale and send you another copy? Or refund the amount you initially paid?

But, B is not me.

I know i'm not helping here. And B probably feels victimized since he needs to indemnify your friend's losses (on top of his own loss). But A is a victim too. And honestly, you can potentially be a victim too if you lose both A and B as friends, sandwiched in between them!

There won't be a win-win situation. Go figure:

B pay half: A unhappy (receive half amount), B unhappy (need to fork out 250 on top of losses)

B pay A in full: A Happy, B VERY unhappy

B don't pay at all: B Happy, A VERY unhappy.

<_<

Guest Friends

Best way is to put yourself in their position,

If I am in B position, I would return the amount in full to A. Just count myself unlucky kena pickpocket.

If I am in A position, I would probably sympathize B situation and only accept half the amount. Don't think A can do anything if B refuse to return the money, the relationship probably turned sour from there.

B was going to Bangkok for holiday during CNY and A asked him to buy him back some stuff and also duty free goods.

A gave B $500.

B came back with nothing and said he got pickpocket in BKK on the way to buy those stuff and he lost his own money too.

A asked me should he insist on getting his money back, afterall B should be responsible for it once money is in his hands

B asked me why should he pay back; he was only doing a favour and it will be double whammy for him to pay back;

Actually, I think B should pay back but didn't want to say anything now when the situation is still so tense.

u are putting urself in a difficult position now.

your left is ur best fren, same goes to ur right.

why not let them handle the problem themselves and find their way out of this matter.

Edited by x33ck

"A was going to Bangkok ..." type-po error? :)

"if don't kaypoh won't get pickpocket.." what was the story behind this statement?

Presumingly, both are "Can-do" friends for years & if I am in either both A & B position:

If I m B, I will return the $$$ in full amount to A.

If I m A, I will "rest the case"

Hary

Oops, yeap typo error, corrected liao, thanks.

$500 wor! its a large amount of money.

One tak shiok, losing the money for nothing.

One tak shiok, help people and got into trouble.

Guest Friends

sorry didn't read your question properly, just a suggestion. See if you thing it might work?

If both A and B are your very good friends.

Explain to A and B what you would do if you were in their position, suggest B to pay A in full. On the other hand suggest to A only to accept half! kind double headed-snake but in a good way. Ultimate both A and B have to agrre what you suggest if best for both parties.

Hary

What he meant was if he had not agree to be a busybody to help, he would not get pickpocket cos he has to make a trip there.

And at the same time also lost his own money!

So in essence its help people also "kena sai".

And I trust that B really lost the money.

Edited by cock brand

Heh, long time no hear my birdie friend.

How have you been?

Trust is not the question here.

Both A and myself trust that the money was stolen.

Guest Empathy

The word that came to mind is 'Trust'. If, and when, we can 'trust' with the pickpocket story, then empathy will come into play. Perhaps, A is not fully convinced with the story. Perhaps, B is just making it up. Guess, only you would know how to make the judgement about each of their character to come to a mid-point.

You are right to say "One tak shiok, losing the money for nothing. One tak shiok, help people and got into trouble." Each of your friends felt shortchanged; a violation of trust.

Empathy will provide an answer when A and B come to terms.

if i were you, i will ask them to think themselve,

what if their position change,

ask them do they cherish & trust each other?

compare the lost sum of money & friendship, which they treasure more?

they should have the answer, i won't advice or give them any solution.

$500 no doubt is worth to tell what type the person is

Edited by snowball

Heh, long time no hear my birdie friend.

How have you been?

Trust is not the question here.

Both A and myself trust that the money was stolen.

I am fine, Cock,

If trust is not an issue here, it will be easy for me to solve as in the answer provided by Hary....:

- B is 'steady' to return the money out as a responsible friend and A is magnanimous to close the case as an unfortunate incident and if both parties are having such spirits, the friendship will be as strong as before

z

I do have my compassion for A’s predicament.

I'm trying my best not to be cynical about things here but since B had entrusted a sum of money to A, then it is A’s prerogative to “safeguard” the amount, regardless of the circumstances. Yes, he was nicked but that does not mean he can be bailed himself off.

As a regular traveller, I have always declined to do favours for friends and family. I am unsure what B wants to buy but don’t you think $500 is a lot of money….. Cash, especially, to carry around. What happened to credit cards etc?

If A treasures the friendship with B, then perhaps they should sit down and settle the score amiably. If $500 is not that much of a sum, then try to repay B (perhaps, in instalments?)

B can offered to pay back A in kind.

A can take the offer and assume that he just paid for a $500 fxxk.

Assuming if B= Bottom, A = Aggressive Top,

Both will feel shiok and live happily everafter.

Case closed.

it depends whether A and B are close friends in the first place.

If they were close friends, then they would have talked it out among themselves already, and you won't have to be involved. but if they are not close or can't sort out themselves, no matter what you say, someone will definitely be not happy. if i were you, i'll not get involved.

谈钱伤感情

that's why for me, if someone asked me to buy something, I'll offer to pay first, then get the money when i pass him the stuff.

What he meant was if he had not agree to be a busybody to help, he would not get pickpocket cos he has to make a trip there.

And at the same time also lost his own money!

So in essence its help people also "kena sai".

And I trust that B really lost the money.

I think the word "Busy body/Kaypoh" was inappropriate to use just becos' of an unforeseen event. The "favor" was a "promise" or at least in agreed by B in the 1st place :) *Money lost is besides the point

Anyway, what happens happened. Why not You loo-gi abit :) and go buy both of them some beers & knock them out and same time, sing them the song "Let It Be" :)

Make today's incident a story to be LOL by 3 good buddies, 10 or more years down the road whenever u guys chill-out.

Hary

Edited by harylok

I am fine, Cock,

If trust is not an issue here, it will be easy for me to solve as in the answer provided by Hary....:

- B is 'steady' to return the money out as a responsible friend and A is magnanimous to close the case as an unfortunate incident and if both parties are having such spirits, the friendship will be as strong as before

aiyo so messy. why in the first place never buy travel insurance?that will solve all problem.

B should return the money to A. It was not his money, it was A's money and he lost the money while it was in his custody. The cause of the loss is irrelevant. It is A's prerogative whether he wants to accept the money in full if B returns it. It is not for you to advise A.

Putting all the bickerings, noisy speculations, and all the blar blar blar...aside

Can Mr B produce and show Mr A and you, the POLICE REPORT he has to make in BKK?

The report must show all the pick pocketed contents and ALL THE AMOUNT OF CASH IN ALL CURRENCIES he lost in the event.

If reports reflects or states - SGP CASH AMT LOST less than $500 - just do some simple calculation and you will know who is the culprit, if there is one.

Period.

Edited by TheVistors

This is worse than watching Korean Dramas.

Very true :lol: Many years later, A & B meet again and they fall in love. Much later they found that they are actually brothers (or sisters?). In shock, B runs out of the house and has an accident. In hospital bed, B returns A his $500. A with tears in his eye insist that B shall also pay the composite interest after keeping the $500 for so many years. Should B pay A interest? and how much? :lol: and the story goes on ..... to be continued in Episode 169

Very true :lol: Many years later, A & B meet again and they fall in love. Much later they found that they are actually brothers (or sisters?). In shock, B runs out of the house and has an accident. In hospital bed, B returns A his $500. A with tears in his eye insist that B shall also pay the composite interest after keeping the $500 for so many years. Should B pay A interest? and how much? :lol: and the story goes on ..... to be continued in Episode 169

story longer than taiwansese serial I ASK HEAVEN esp 169? singapore style I ASK HEAVEN.any cute actor involve? where can get dvd?

Guest Enemies

I think you should give them both a good scolding! :-)

Tell them they ought to be mature enough to settle such a simple dispute instead of getting you involved!

Putting all the bickerings, noisy speculations, and all the blar blar blar...aside

Can Mr B produce and show Mr A and you, the POLICE REPORT he has to make in BKK?

The report must show all the pick pocketed contents and ALL THE AMOUNT OF CASH IN ALL CURRENCIES he lost in the event.

If reports reflects or states - SGP CASH AMT LOST less than $500 - just do some simple calculation and you will know who is the culprit, if there is one.

Period.

If there was any evidence (i.e. 'AMT LOST Less than S$500 etc) against B's words, would B produce the report to make him the dumbest cheater ever ?

Not so 'Simple calculation' afterall

Hary

... Infidelity always go along with a 'blar blar blar ...'

Guest Thinker

That's the main reason why I discourage my colleagues to "tumpang" me when I pay for credit card. I have to reimburse them when the money is robbed half way from point 1 to the Bank.

In the banking premises, A is responsible for the money in his pocket when there is a bank robbery. But once the money is deposited to the Cashier (B) , then the bank is responsible to reimburse the money to the customer (A).

Applying these 2 eg to your situation, B should be responsible to reimburse A.... perhaps by way of instalment basis if B does not have enough cash. Then only we leave it up to A to decide whether the bear the loss etc.

In my personal situation, my friend parked his motobike at my house. The next morning, it was stolen. I reimburse him the full cost. Eventually he settled for half of it. Since then, we became "couple" for the past 12 years!!!

If there was any evidence (i.e. 'AMT LOST Less than S$500 etc) against B's words, would B produce the report to make him the dumbest cheater ever ?

Not so 'Simple calculation' afterall

Hary

... Infidelity always go along with a 'blar blar blar ...'

Don't understand whay you mean by "Infidelity always go along with a blar blar blar "

Please clarify your sweeping statement.

By the way, I am going advice to Cockbrand, not to you.

Simple.

When you are robbed , and make a police report, esp in a foreign land, you will be so naturally frustrated, angry and shocked. There will be nothing in your mind, unless you are an opportunist and with something up your sleeves.

B holds $500 which belongs to A, in hand when he was pickpocket.

Logically you will have a make a police report to make certain claims, or even need it to replace some other important documents.

If reports states ; lost SGP $600 in total, simple, the 500 belongs to A, 100 belongs to B.

Means B lost A's 500.

But you don't carry only carry A's cash around, you also carry your own, which should be more than 500.

If reports states lost SGP $500 or less, now may i ask, what really happened to A's 500, assuming the less than 500 amt, is really B's money.

What really happened to A's $500, before the event?

Is the less than 500amt, was actually A's actual 500?

He can claim that the less than 500 is his own money.

If he does that, he is the biggest dumb ass.

But it should be more than 500, and not less.

If everything is in THB, simple, just use the exchange rate back then to do your conversion, back to SGP value.

He say you say everyone say, but where are the evidences?

If B doesn't make a police report to cover his own ass, not only does he not respect his property, he also does not repsect A's property. Thus he doesn't even respect A as a person. Let alone as a friend.

Bro, friendship is friendship, money is money. All this talking is of no use.

We need Black and White.

Just produce the police report, it will shade some light to the matter. Let them conclude the matter themselves.

Its not your or my money anyway.

Edited by TheVistors

Guest Tak Shiok

Morale of the story:

The 'A' people should not take for granted that every of their friends who are going for holidays should be a shopper courier on their behalf. Too bad if such products are not easily available locally; just learn to accept to live without them.

The 'B' people should, even half willing, not to take cash advances. There is always no guarantee that they will be able to get the things - there could be cases of 'out of stock', or 'short of time', etc.

If must-must must get the things, be prepared for unforeseen circumstances.

I am just wondering, what if the items purchased are slightly less than $500? Say, they only cost $450, will A expect the change?

.. And so the drama goes on :B)

I think if i were you, i will stay out of this... Knowing that being in a middleman in such situation will do you more harm then good...

Say if u support A, B not happy

If you support B, A not happy...

Why not just let both of them settle it among themselves? This will be the best option already...

Jurong West

*When there is love, There is HOPE...*

If A trust B that he is really pick-pocketed even without a police report to prove, then A should not ask back the amount. Taking this account as a tragedy, A and B as victims.

There is no transaction between A and B, B is not profiting over A for the help. Thus it is different from money lost in a bank, where the bank should be responsible. So B has no responsibility to return the money as he is also a victim.

If A insist that B returns the money. Then he is accusing B of lying (Which might be true).

PS: I think a police report would not do much too... as I can say I lost any believable amount in the report. It is all about trust here.

Edited by Mandrake

It is what it is, it needn't be defined. It is absolute.

I believed the thread starter has mentioned that trust is not an issue here. Both A and himself trusted that B had been pick pocketed.

This is more of a friendship scenario. Whether A is willing to let go of the money or B is willing to compensate. Both have valid cases, A entrusted the money to B while B is merely doing a favor for A.

It is interesting to see that there is no right or wrong decision, to me it is more of how much $500 is worth to A and to B. Assuming one is more financially better off than the other. So A is better off than B, then let the matter rest. Vice versa, B should return the $500.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

I believed the thread starter has mentioned that trust is not an issue here. Both A and himself trusted that B had been pick pocketed.

This is more of a friendship scenario. Whether A is willing to let go of the money or B is willing to compensate. Both have valid cases, A entrusted the money to B while B is merely doing a favor for A.

It is interesting to see that there is no right or wrong decision, to me it is more of how much $500 is worth to A and to B. Assuming one is more financially better off than the other. So A is better off than B, then let the matter rest. Vice versa, B should return the $500.

But Sir, It is obvious that they both do not wish to part with the $500. We often meet with people who are extremely financially well off, but no where near generous. Furthermore, can we just tell the more financially better off one to bite the bullet? It is like, I have to pay for everybody's meal just because I am rich? That is why, analysis by objective views comes to place.

A is at a loosing position in argument. His only stand left is that B could have been careless and lost their money to the pickpocket. But in fairness, A entrusted the money to B knowing fully well the character of B. If he deemed B was a careless person, he shouldn't have entrusted the money in the first place. If B wasn't a careless person, A should view this incident as an accident and absorb the lost. If it is accepted that B's account about the pickpocket is true. Picture this: Burglars set my house on fire and turned everything to ashes, wouldn't it be cruel to come demand me to compensate the Nike shoes you left in my house for your convenience. In my view, there is no argument here unless B is lying.

Dear Gachi, I know how people are easily taken in by documents. If dishonesty is there in the first place... I think it serves little purpose. A police report of such a case doesn't prove that the incident actually happened. It can be fake reporting, producing a fake report. Making an extra effort can also be interpreted as having intention to cheat. But you do have a point if the pickpocket is caught and goods return. Pardon me for being skeptical, but it sounds like striking 4D. Most people wouldn't go make the report as they don't believe that the police can actually catch the pickpocket. Alright, social responsibility to warn others to be careful in that area maybe, I got it. =)

Edited by Mandrake

It is what it is, it needn't be defined. It is absolute.

Guest kaypoh bigtime

Actually, I think B should pay back ..

Hi cock brand,

No, I am not trying to stir anything here. Based on what you wrote [just the above], it seems a fixated idea ["Actually, I think .. "] has already been instilled.

Yes, it is not pleasant, and an easy situation, to be in the middle between friends.

If it is not too much to share, what made you feel that B should pay?

Guest Please Forgive Me

While it is sensible to make a police report and particularly so for travelers with travel insurance [for claims], many of us tend to avoid such hassle. Street muggings are common and there is no guarantee that monies can be recovered. The process is just too troublesome.

Perhaps, B felt like the-many-of-us. He felt there was no necessity to make such a police report knowing that A can trust him. Hoping that A can accept his tragedy. Afterall, as mentioned, both of them have been friends for many years [and so I assume]. Obviously, B is preoccupied and bank on credibility and seeks sympathy and understanding.

There must be a reason why A is insisting to get his money back. I would take A's stand should B had traveled with insurance. The doubt arises when he didn't make any police report and not concerned with the theft.

Personally, I would rather let the case rests. While it can be painful to part $500 without getting tangible things in return, A should accept his own follies; for his acts to bother and to trust.

Meanwhile, B just have to live with his conscience.

No, I am not trying to stir anything here. Based on what you wrote [just the above], it seems a fixated idea ["Actually, I think .. "] has already been instilled.

Yes, it is not pleasant, and an easy situation, to be in the middle between friends.

If it is not too much to share, what made you feel that B should pay?

Initially, I thought that B should pay back the money based on a simple principle - when the something is entrusted to you and you accepted it, it became your responsibility. So you lost it, you pay back!

But on second thought, B was only doing a kind favour, he did not gain any profit for doing this and was also a victim himself.

And he lost the money on the way to make the purchase and that place is not "along the way", it was in Yaowarat and its was an on purpose trip.

Thats why I also thought that maybe he should only need to pay back half only.

And for those who asked did he report to the police?

He did try but due to language problem it became an ordeal.

In BKK, a foreigner cannot just walk into any police station to make a report, firstly they can't speak English; you are supposed to go to certain tourist centre provost post.

B got stuck in the local station for 2 hrs trying to understand what they are saying - they didn't send him away but made him wait and he was not allowed to leave.

B told me he was so afraid that they might lock him up instead because suddenly they want to see what he was carring in his bag???

Guest Empathy

With a clearer picture, I empathise B. Going through such an ordeal is hell, especially so in a foreign country. While he does not ask for emotional compensation, regard the $500 a goodwill for making him to travel to a place that is not even within his original itinerary.

Between friends it should be a WIN-WIN situation especially close friends.

In this case I would think splitting the lost equally the best solution!

u sure A will give $500 to B just to shop at BBK? or is it 500 baht?$500 can buy many branded things in BBk. 500 baht can buy only thai snacks.

I saw a similar story in other forum.

A needs to go to Airport then travel oversea for few months and asks B to drive him there with a promise that B can use his car during that time A travels.

Few days later, A receives a call from B saying that on the way back from airport, he got an accident and car totally damaged.

B agrees to pay some money ... but A thinks it is not enough because B should be responsible for what he does ... (remember insuarance is not claimed or sth like that).

For CB's case, I think, as mature man, B should pay back A total 500 S$ even he lost his money while helping A. When you promise or agree to help someone, then it is your responsibility already. This is lesson's fee for B even he wants it or not.

If A totally believes what B said is true, after B paid 500 S$, then he can give back B some.

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

A gave B $500.

My views are slightly different. If I give a friend some money to buy stuff then I am entrusting the money to the friend completely. For example, if the friend bought me something that I did not like or that was wrong then I will live with it as I made the decision to trust the friend and his decisions. In this case, B did not asked to be robbed, he got robbed. It is no different from A being there and being robbed too. If B wants, he can make a gesture of goodwill and give A some money but if he does so, it is purely a matter of goodwill, not something that A should expect him to do. A should also remember that B was kind enough to say ok to buying stuff for A.

My views are slightly different. If I give a friend some money to buy stuff then I am entrusting the money to the friend completely. For example, if the friend bought me something that I did not like or that was wrong then I will live with it as I made the decision to trust the friend and his decisions. In this case, B did not asked to be robbed, he got robbed. It is no different from A being there and being robbed too. If B wants, he can make a gesture of goodwill and give A some money but if he does so, it is purely a matter of goodwill, not something that A should expect him to do. A should also remember that B was kind enough to say ok to buying stuff for A.

y so complicated?just grap anything from yr wardrobe which is still new to B as a gift will do.thats wat my friend do when i gave him $100 to Hk and he spend the money at double o instead.

The story started as A gave B $500 to buy something back, but B claimed the money was stolen after the holiday.

In my opinion, the person who is real screw-up is B. If I were B, I will not take the money, but instead I will help A to buy the thing as request if opportunity available & claim the money back after the holiday with presentation of receipt.

A is also equally screw-up, when he handed over the $500 to B, indicating an unwritten commitment imposed on B, as friend he shan't do such thing, he can request but not demand.

So now B accepted the money, then it is his responsibility to deliver the commitment or return the money.

I totally do not agree with you.

When I request friends to buy something for me, I always give them the money first, unless is something really cheap.

This is to show your sincerity.

If its an expensive item, your friend may not be able to fork out the money first so more the reason that you should pay first.

And I never demand friends to run any errand, its always a request and something not too troublesome and only after they agree to do so.

Demand : do this for me!

Request : is it OK to do this for me?

And its up to your friend whether to carry the cash physically with him overseas knowing he can purchase with cards.

I believe my friends mentioned here would behave similarly.

• Guest locked this topic