Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

• 2 weeks later...

No gas drink....

Cayenne pepper extract - boost your metabolism etc.. (pls consult your physician/doctor if you can consume this) 

Exercise regularly - run, walk, hike and basic fitness corner sit up etc...if you go gym use free weights instead of machine...

Does digestive medication or drink help with mass gaining?

I want to gain some more mass and have been stagnant for quite some time.

I naturally do not have a large appetite so was wondering if eating digestive medication after meals help digest the food and make me hungrier for more meals effective.

does anyone have any tips on losing visceral fat? I did a body analysis and found that my visceral fat amount is unconscionably high :P

is it true that visceral fat is harder to lose than subcutaneous fat? (just fyi if dk, visceral is fat around organs, subcutaneous is fat that is right below the skin)

On 4/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, XanderS said:

does anyone have any tips on losing visceral fat? I did a body analysis and found that my visceral fat amount is unconscionably high :P

is it true that visceral fat is harder to lose than subcutaneous fat? (just fyi if dk, visceral is fat around organs, subcutaneous is fat that is right below the skin)

Edited by Slowmo

On 4/20/2021 at 8:29 PM, Jungleman said:

Does digestive medication or drink help with mass gaining?

I want to gain some more mass and have been stagnant for quite some time.

I naturally do not have a large appetite so was wondering if eating digestive medication after meals help digest the food and make me hungrier for more meals effective.

Generally you do not need digestive medication/drinks if your digestive system is working well (i.e. good and healthy bowel movement). 

Yes, you need to eat more (possibly a lot more) for mass gaining. One way is to increase your metabolic rate (thru weight training esp. on bigger muscle groups), to increase your appetite. Don’t you feel super hungry after a gym workout (almost like after a swim)?

Mass gaining would require quite a big caloric surplus. Sometimes even if you are hungry, it may not be so easy to consume so many calories (may slightly overwork your digestive system too). That’s where you can consider consuming those mass gainer powders (or make your own blended stuff).

I am assuming you just want to gain mass. But if you want to do so while also cutting body fat (or maintaining existing low body fat), that would be even more difficult (not impossible of course).

Hii

How do you guys create your calorie deficits? I am on a mission to get my belly flat and it’s something I really want to achieve. 

Everyone says calorie deficit which I equate to more exercise and body movement than my calorie intake. I think I am trying but I just want some tips and advice as well. If anyone can share :) 

Thanks 

5 hours ago, grocksdlostboy said:

Hii

How do you guys create your calorie deficits? I am on a mission to get my belly flat and it’s something I really want to achieve. 

Everyone says calorie deficit which I equate to more exercise and body movement than my calorie intake. I think I am trying but I just want some tips and advice as well. If anyone can share :) 

Thanks 

To achieve a calorie deficit properly, you need to count calories, something I find a bit time consuming to bother about so far.

You can google for tips about how to count calories for what you eat, and then you need to know the calorie expenditure of your exercises/workout, and include your BMR (which can be estimated) too.

A somewhat easier way: Well, suppose your weight has been stable for the past few months, and you eat normally and you exercise normally. That means you are calorie-wise neutral, on average. Then to get calorie deficit, you either have to eat less or exercise more, or do a bit of both. Take care not to suddenly do too much cardio as that would make you hungry and eat more. Instead do more resistance training.

You can also consider intermittent fasting, which I tried before, and it is fairly easy to lose 2-3kg within a few weeks (obviously this would vary with individuals). 

Try something and see if it works. Avoid regimes that make you miserable - that won’t be sustainable.

Good luck!

Hi! 

I was ~95kg last year during CB and started gyming (with PT) in August, averaging 3 times a week. I managed to cut down to ~75kg after CNY. 

I would like to seek advice if I should increase strength (gym) training frequency or use those non-gym days to do cardio or simply use those as rest days. My weekends are busy so my training days are limited to weekdays at the moment. Thanks!

On 5/7/2021 at 1:07 AM, Ggzx08 said:

Hi! 

I was ~95kg last year during CB and started gyming (with PT) in August, averaging 3 times a week. I managed to cut down to ~75kg after CNY. 

I would like to seek advice if I should increase strength (gym) training frequency or use those non-gym days to do cardio or simply use those as rest days. My weekends are busy so my training days are limited to weekdays at the moment. Thanks!

It depends on how hard have you been training. If you have been limited to weekdays training, try to get as much intensity in (regardless of cardio or weights) and leave the weekends as full rest days. 

On 5/9/2021 at 11:26 AM, JKY said:

Usually a combination of diet (calorie deficit) and weights. I think'

I can only speak from my own experience, and not through science or for others. I did it through caloric deficit and very very very strict dieting and regular running. I ate a lot less through intermitent fasting and one meal a day. I used eat whatever i want, how much i want, when i want. I assumed as long as i gym, i won't be fat. But the abs never came. It never was easy. There never is a short cut. Not everyone can achieve this without being strong- mentally.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 8:50 PM, zzzzzzzz said:

I was 63 then gain 3kg in 3 months through eating and going to gym. I cut my cardio from 3 times to once a week, 20 mins swim or 1 hour hot yoga. Muscle mass has gained but body fats also went up. Any tips on how to maintain body fats while gaining mass?

I read that it's normal to gain some body fat when putting on muscle mass, that's why there's a need for bulking and cutting phases. I also read that for newbies (i.e. less than 2 years' workout experience), body recomposition is possible. Body recomposition means cutting fat while gaining muscle mass at the same time. In order to do so, your food intake needs to be only a few hundred calories above your daily requirement. 

Just sharing what I read, hope it helps!

Hi guys, I bought bench, barbells and dumbbells for home workout.
I am not totally new or beginner to weight lifting but never do properly previously (like never follow pattern or rest a few days in between 😅) .

I am kinda like skinny fat body type I guess.. current stats is 39 172 72 

What do guys think of following routine

Day one - Chest x 3 variations, Back x 2 variations and Shoulder x 2 variations 

Day two - rest (will do 15-20 mins abs)

Day three - bicep x 2 variations, tricep x 2

variations, forearm x 1 variations, legs x 2 variations, calf x 1 variation 

Day four - rest (will do 15-20 mins abs)

Then, repeat that rotation. 

Is it good enough? 

Thanks!!

11 hours ago, RyanZ said:

Hi guys, I bought bench, barbells and dumbbells for home workout.
I am not totally new or beginner to weight lifting but never do properly previously (like never follow pattern or rest a few days in between 😅) .

I am kinda like skinny fat body type I guess.. current stats is 39 172 72 

What do guys think of following routine

Day one - Chest x 3 variations, Back x 2 variations and Shoulder x 2 variations 

Day two - rest (will do 15-20 mins abs)

Day three - bicep x 2 variations, tricep x 2

variations, forearm x 1 variations, legs x 2 variations, calf x 1 variation 

Day four - rest (will do 15-20 mins abs)

Then, repeat that rotation. 

Is it good enough? 

Thanks!!

Hi

As newbies, our muscles don't need much stimulus to grow, so frequency of training is probably more important than doing many sets and variations. You might want to try full body split for the first year or so. Focus on compound exercises that involve multiple muscles. Aim for 6 to 9 sets for each muscle group: 2-3 sets each session, 3 sessions per week. 

If you have the energy, you can consider adding a session or two of cardiovascular workouts on the other days to help with fat loss. Walking is a good choice as it doesn't interfere with recovery. But like they always say, fat loss is primarily about the diet. so focus on nutrition.

16 minutes ago, Derren said:

Hi

As newbies, our muscles don't need much stimulus to grow, so frequency of training is probably more important than doing many sets and variations. You might want to try full body split for the first year or so. Focus on compound exercises that involve multiple muscles. Aim for 6 to 9 sets for each muscle group: 2-3 sets each session, 3 sessions per week. 

If you have the energy, you can consider adding a session or two of cardiovascular workouts on the other days to help with fat loss. Walking is a good choice as it doesn't interfere with recovery. But like they always say, fat loss is primarily about the diet. so focus on nutrition.

Thank you so much for the advice.

I can definitely add walking during rest day!

Could you give me example of full body split with compound exercise per session? 

Each session - Squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, lunge? I don’t have pull up bar or dip machine at home. What should I replace those with? 

Just now, RyanZ said:

Thank you so much for the advice.

I can definitely add walking during rest day!

Could you give me example of full body split with compound exercise per session? 

Each session - Squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, lunge? I don’t have pull up bar or dip machine at home. What should I replace those with? 

No worries, just sharing what I have been reading.

The big 5 compound lifts are:

1. Deadlift

2. Squats

3. Bench Press

4. Shoulder Press

5. Row or Pull-up

You can invest in a pull-up bar at home, go to the fitness corner nearby or you can do rows. 

7 minutes ago, Derren said:

No worries, just sharing what I have been reading.

The big 5 compound lifts are:

1. Deadlift

2. Squats

3. Bench Press

4. Shoulder Press

5. Row or Pull-up

You can invest in a pull-up bar at home, go to the fitness corner nearby or you can do rows. 

Thank you so much!! I read online and watch YouTube too.. just way too many information and not sure which one should I follow..

1 minute ago, RyanZ said:

Thank you so much!! I read online and watch YouTube too.. just way too many information and not sure which one should I follow..

I know what you mean. Information overload.

We don't need to understand everything perfectly before we start. Jump in, learn and adjust along the way. I think it's good  to start with something simple, easy to follow and focus on the essentials. For example, focus on proper form for the basic few exercises rather than worry about the different variations etc.

I read a couple of websites, often need to do minimum 10 sets per week to gain muscle mass… 6-8 sets maintain.

thinking that it might be quite true cos I usually do 4 sets of exercise, about 10-12 reps, twice a week. Muscle growth very slow. Looks like need to up to 6 sets per session

any thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Ggzx08 said:

Hi everyone, may I know what’s the usual rate for an experienced PT? Is $150 per hr (including use of gym/facilities) considered expensive or “OK”? Thanks!

i think that's value for money coz in my previous post a P.T. from Core Collective at Dempsey quoted me $175 per hour...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 9:51 PM, Ggzx08 said:

Hi everyone, may I know what’s the usual rate for an experienced PT? Is $150 per hr (including use of gym/facilities) considered expensive or “OK”? Thanks!

I have another question 😅 

What would you do if most of the time, the sessions last for 45+mins (i.e. all exercises completed ahead of time) instead of 1 hr?

50 minutes ago, Ggzx08 said:

What would you do if most of the time, the sessions last for 45+mins (i.e. all exercises completed ahead of time) instead of 1 hr?

I believe the PT will still charge the same rate. A PT usually will try to plan their workout to last about 45 minutes or so, because they need to account the time for form correction, exercise demonstration, cool down etc. 

Finishing fast doesn’t mean they will charge lesser, similarly if the timing overshoots by 15 minutes, I don’t think the PT will charge more either, it’s just poor planning on his part. 

47 minutes ago, Jungleman said:

I believe the PT will still charge the same rate. A PT usually will try to plan their workout to last about 45 minutes or so, because they need to account the time for form correction, exercise demonstration, cool down etc. 

Finishing fast doesn’t mean they will charge lesser, similarly if the timing overshoots by 15 minutes, I don’t think the PT will charge more either, it’s just poor planning on his part. 

Thanks for the enlightenment. So it's me being too "petty/calculative" then. 😅I was wondering if it's "bo-hua" to be paying for something shorter than the supposed duration.  

11 hours ago, Ggzx08 said:

$150 for 45 minutes is expensive tbh. You should shop around and also try and find a trainer who you are comfortable to ask questions from (like session duration, nutrition, overall plan, etc.) 

2 hours ago, Guest Wtf said:

$150 for 45 minutes is expensive tbh. You should shop around and also try and find a trainer who you are comfortable to ask questions from (like session duration, nutrition, overall plan, etc.) 

Thanks. How long do you suggest the try out to be? One concern I have is if I were to give other PT a try, then it will be quite awkward to "go back" to previous PT if I decide to. 😰

44 minutes ago, Ggzx08 said:

Thanks. How long do you suggest the try out to be? One concern I have is if I were to give other PT a try, then it will be quite awkward to "go back" to previous PT if I decide to. 😰

your PT rate is really expensive - more expensive than PT offers in gym clubs. Just browse on insta or even grindr you can find cheap offers with legit results.

16 minutes ago, Credge said:

your PT rate is really expensive - more expensive than PT offers in gym clubs. Just browse on insta or even grindr you can find cheap offers with legit results.

Thanks Credge 😨 need advise what’s the avg/reasonable cost per session incl. gym usuage/membership. Appreciate it! 🙏🏼

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.