Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

I think the key is to acknowledge that deadlifts and squats are different types of movement for different purpose. Form is important, and most people who are not able to perform either exercises safely can perform a regressed movement or practice getting the form right with lighter weights. Instead of a barbell back squat, one can perform a goblet squat, likewise if a person cannot do a deadlift, try practicing with the romanian deadlift, if not, perform multiple reps of hip hinges just to get the movement right. If the 20 kg barbell is too heavy, try getting the form right with a pole. The last resort is to change equipment. The idea is to train the body to get the form right, and changing equipment might not be viable over long term. Its good for beginners, but its all about progressing correctly. The more often you put your body through training, the better it becomes. 

• 1 month later...

hello, would like to seek expert advise here

while trying to develop chest muscles, my left chest don't quite develop at e same rate as the right (slightly smaller in comparison), even though same weights were used on both sides

so do i increase e weight a little on e left while maintaining e same weight for e right side, so that e muscles could even out eventually? thanks

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

hello, would like to seek expert advise here

while trying to develop chest muscles, my left chest don't quite develop at e same rate as the right (slightly smaller in comparison), even though same weights were used on both sides

so do i increase e weight a little on e left while maintaining e same weight for e right side, so that e muscles could even out eventually? thanks

Yes you could. But ultimately, do have a look at your form. You could approach someone to help video your movement down. The root cause might be due to improper form. Apart from this, you could also use machines to try and balance things out at the end of your routine.

12 hours ago, xydboy said:

Yes you could. But ultimately, do have a look at your form. You could approach someone to help video your movement down. The root cause might be due to improper form. Apart from this, you could also use machines to try and balance things out at the end of your routine.

thank you very much, will try out as suggested   👍

8 hours ago, freed said:

Hi, want to seek some advice on losing fat around the waist and belly region. Been reading articles and many say that cardio is the best way, but then some people say running doesn't burn as much calories, so I am abit confused here. 

You need consistent activity. Regardless of strength training or cardio, as long as it is something you can do it regularly, you will burn calories and lose weight eventually. Fat accumulation happens in that region because you are not expanding those calories. Watch your diet, have caloric deficit, workout out regularly and you should be fine.

Guest Another guest

@xydboy, if I jog on <LifeFitness> treadmill for 30mins, 2-3 times/week at 8.5 speed (heart rate > 160) - does this help in losing weight or some fats?

Then would higher frequency like 5-6 times/week, jog as above, see better results?

9 hours ago, Guest Another guest said:

@xydboy, if I jog on <LifeFitness> treadmill for 30mins, 2-3 times/week at 8.5 speed (heart rate > 160) - does this help in losing weight or some fats?

Then would higher frequency like 5-6 times/week, jog as above, see better results?

These are my calculations based on the assumption that its a US machine, and its in mph for speed.

8.5 mph x 26.8 = 227.8 m/min

(0.2 x 227.8) + 3.5 = 49.06 ml/kg/min [relative VO2]

Assuming you have a weight of 60 kg

[49.06 ml'kg/min x 60]/1000 = 2.94 L/min [absolute VO2]

2.94 L/min x 5 = 14.72 kcal/min

Given you are running for 30 min

14.72 kcal/min x 30 min = 441.6 kcal [calories burnt for 1 run]

441.6 kcal x 3 times/week = 1324.8 kcal -> this would be insufficient because you need a deficit of 3500 kcal a week to lose 1-2 pounds (~0.5-1 kg)

441.6 kcal x 5 times/week = 2208 kcal -> still not sufficient based on the line above

What I can suggest:

1) watch your calories consumption: do a food log and monitor how much you eat. If you have a deficit in food intake, coupled with the current running of 5 times a week, you would be able to hit the required caloric deficit

2) perform substantial amount of weight training 2-3 times a week, involving major muscle groups. Perhaps start with working on your legs, do leg presses, squats, deadlifts, glut bridges and lunges. Could even add in some isolated movements. adding muscle mass will help to increase resting metabolic rate in long term, and this could contribute to increasing caloric expenditure at rest.

3) Increase your non-exercise activities, such as stair climbing instead of taking lift. Walk more, etc...all these would help as well

Always remember its all about consistency and patience. You are not going to get your result in 1 month, you might see drastic changes after a few months. It takes time, but its the process of behaviour change that counts. People give up just because they don't see results in a week or 2, but that's not how the body works. Body composition changes is a "marathon", not a "sprint".

Guest Another guest
11 hours ago, xydboy said:

-

-

-

Always remember its all about consistency and patience. You are not going to get your result in 1 month, you might see drastic changes after a few months. It takes time, but its the process of behaviour change that counts. People give up just because they don't see results in a week or 2, but that's not how the body works. Body composition changes is a "marathon", not a "sprint".

Wow, that's great advice and information, really appreciate you taking time to reply.

Am doing some bits of point 2) and 3) you mentioned. Now will retook into my routine again. Thank you so much!

On 11/30/2019 at 6:40 AM, Guest Ljs said:

I like how so many people are giving advice here when irl your bodies probably look bad and you can’t lift for nuts lol seen so many idiots who claim to be “bodybuilders”

This is not true.

Most of the advice giving in this thread is excellent,  and xydboy's advice is some of the best. 

There is zero evidence that any posts by experts here are not written with the best intentions.  

Those of us who have worked out all our life recognize that much information in this thread is first class.

This does not mean that everyone takes advantage of it, but this is another story.

Edited by Steve5380

i am currently doing this (1 hour on treadmill), 5 days per week

duration (min)     speed on treadmill

5                                             8.0

5                                             8.2

5                                             8.4

5                                             8.6

5                                             8.8

5                                             9.0

3                                            10.0

3                                            8.0          

3                                             8.0

3                                              8.0

3                                           10.0

can this be considered as HIIT?

is this good to lose weight without compromising muscle gain?

thanks!

4 hours ago, blowmenow said:

i am currently doing this (1 hour on treadmill), 5 days per week

duration (min)     speed on treadmill

5                                             8.0

5                                             8.2

5                                             8.4

5                                             8.6

5                                             8.8

5                                             9.0

3                                             8.0

can this be considered as HIIT?

is this good to lose weight without compromising muscle gain?

thanks!

Probably its more of intervals, but not high intensity intervals. if it were to be high intensity, you probably would not be able to hit such duration. If you can hit that duration, you are probably not hitting that high enough intensity. Would it be good to lose weight, definitely! as long as you do it consistently. As for compromising muscle gain, it depends a lot on what you do for weight training, how often you do, when you do it, and what have you been eating for your diet that determines the extend of muscle growth.

PS. For HIIT, i usually do not recommend to do running on treadmill for safety purpose. Head out to the carpark or park for a HIIT would be more ideal.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:40 PM, Guest Ljs said:

I like how so many people are giving advice here when irl your bodies probably look bad and you can’t lift for nuts lol seen so many idiots who claim to be “bodybuilders”

Finally someone said it hahahaha

20 hours ago, a1beng said:

Is it normal to gain weight after gym workout for almost a year? 

TIA. 

Which type of weight? Muscle mass or body fat? Muscles heather than fat. So do you feel fitter or fatter? 

Dumbells, kettle bells weights. Abit fitter but concern the tummy area and love handles. 

15 hours ago, Kimochi said:

Which type of weight? Muscle mass or body fat? Muscles heather than fat. So do you feel fitter or fatter? 

10 hours ago, a1beng said:

Dumbells, kettle bells weights. Abit fitter but concern the tummy area and love handles. 

Means you likely gain muscles. Keep it up! 

On 12/6/2019 at 7:16 AM, a1beng said:

As long as you're getting stronger, there should be some muscle gains.

hello! i've left the site a long while back as i'm in a monogamous relationship.

thank you for contributing to this thread, and let's keep motivating one another 💪

Hi Gym and Trainer

I am deaf person who cannot talk and cannot. I need your advise before I plan to gym

Long time ago I go gym and already forgot gym method. My shoulder spain and pain til already heal.. I wonder I can gym or not because I scared my shoulder may paralysed 

Regards 

DANIEL 

22 minutes ago, Tanbw said:

guys, any recommendations for guys (beginner) to workout.

any good website to learn?

What you looking at? To burn fat and become fit? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 12:26 AM, xydboy said:

Can we avoid by doing barbell bench press instead?

Hi @xydboy and the rest here, just wanna know if it's advisable to drink whey protein after 48 hours of workout, since most of the online sites mentioned that body builds muscle within the 48hour window? As firstly I do not want my kidneys to overwork from protein input...

Thanks in advance for your advice :) 

Edited by sum1outhere_03

Will you be my valentine's? :D

2 hours ago, sum1outhere_03 said:

Hi @xydboy and the rest here, just wanna know if it's advisable to drink whey protein after 48 hours of workout, since most of the online sites mentioned that body builds muscle within the 48hour window? As firstly I do not want my kidneys to overwork from protein input...

Thanks in advance for your advice :) 

I think you might have misread, it is unlikely to mention 48 hours because if it was, then your food that you eat would have been more of a concern than the protein shake itself. Anything you eat within that supposed window would have provided you with the protein requirement. Anyway there isn't anything legit about the "window of opportunity". Anything counts and in fact, muscle protein synthesis occurs over the 24 hours, with no narrow window in existence.

Oh, that was protein synthesis. So it is different from muscle building.

By the way thought there are other foods other than whey after workout :) 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eat-after-workout

Edited by sum1outhere_03

15 hours ago, sum1outhere_03 said:

Oh, that was protein synthesis. So it is different from muscle building.

By the way thought there are other foods other than whey after workout :) 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/eat-after-workout

Muscle protein synthesis is the underlying mechanism behind muscle building in simple terms. And also, over-consumption of protein do not have an impact on kidney. Those old-wives tale needs to be put to rest.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, VeryQuietGuy97 said:

I'm underweight . Is there any healthy calories dense food that you all recommend?

One whole egg with many egg whites. (Yolk removed to prevent high cholesterol )

57 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

Coming from one idiot who looks equally skinny and small.

11 hours ago, VeryQuietGuy97 said:

I'm underweight . Is there any healthy calories dense food that you all recommend?

bro to get weight you just gotta make sure your calories what what you need. 2-3 whole eggs a day is not gonna affect your cholesterol if you’re active and all, your body possess much more cholesterol than in that 2 egg yolks. Other than that, have some nuts which provide you good fat and good amount and calories. If not, fish with good fatty acids like salmon or cod are good too. Oat/almond milk are easy to consume calorie food. And once in a while get some fried chicken or pizza in, it won’t affect your health much, but it gives you some calories and also reset your mental state. Trust that skinny fella or trust a fitness professional, up to you lol

20 minutes ago, Guest Lollll said:

Coming from one idiot who looks equally skinny and small.

bro to get weight you just gotta make sure your calories what what you need. 2-3 whole eggs a day is not gonna affect your cholesterol if you’re active and all, your body possess much more cholesterol than in that 2 egg yolks. Other than that, have some nuts which provide you good fat and good amount and calories. If not, fish with good fatty acids like salmon or cod are good too. Oat/almond milk are easy to consume calorie food. And once in a while get some fried chicken or pizza in, it won’t affect your health much, but it gives you some calories and also reset your mental state. Trust that skinny fella or trust a fitness professional, up to you lol

Trust a guest? And BTW not everybody likes too big a body.  Its always proportion FTW. You sure you professional? 

And BTW I'm not skinny. And I do not know whats your definition of skinny though. You need to get your eyes checked. 

You failed miserably at that I must say. 

Edited by Kimochi

On 2/28/2020 at 10:33 AM, Kimochi said:

Knidly refer to https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/will-it-raise-my-cholesterol-level-and-other-questions-about-eating-eggs before jumping the gun on eggs and impact on cholesterol level.

I think for the individual who is underweight and is concerned about healthy calorie dense food, its more important to look at the bigger picture. Ask yourself what kind of diet can you tolerate and from there, increase the portion size of the food. We can go on and on about the chicken breast, brocoli, etc, but the most impactful diet is one which you can sustain for life. Have a look at my healthy plate from HPB (https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/55/my-healthy-plate) to check out the examples of nutrient dense food. Its not just important to eat more,but to eat well. A rule of thumb is to increase caloric intake by 500 kcal, or 20-25% of total caloric intake level, depending on your comfort level. That should help to push the surplus higher to pack on weight. 

As mentioned, it is important to look at the bigger picture. Packing up surplus and not working out is just going to pack on more fat mass. Indeed, it is easier to gain more fat during this phase, hence resistance exercise and aerobic training is important. Based on the P ratio, its usually around 55-65% of fat mass and 35-45% of muscle mass. And as you gain more weight, this percentage tends to sway more in favour of fat mass. So don't just look at diet without looking at exercise programming. Add in 2-3 days of strength training workouts and 4-5 days of moderate intensity cardio to keep the health markers and body composition in check. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, this thread has been a little quiet so I thought I'd spice things abit.

I've started weight training since last year (progressively from once a week) to currently 3x a week (albeit mostly on upper body muscle groups at the moment - waitig for my mat to come in so I can train my abs soon, hopefully).

The question is - should I even worry about abs at the moment? The current situation is that although my chest and arms are slowly and steadily getting its form, it seems like my belly seems to be obviously round especially when I stand (even my mom mentioned my tummy lol). To be clearer, should I also be doing abs since I am still trying to do weight gain?

My current composure (based on xiaomi's weighing scale, regardless if it's accurate):

Current weight: 58.95kg [gained about 6kg since I started, yay :P] (Goal: 67.5kg per xiaomi)

Body fats: 11.x% (already looking "bloated?! lol)

Kind advise appreciated! :) 

Edited by sum1outhere_03

5 hours ago, sum1outhere_03 said:

Hi guys, this thread has been a little quiet so I thought I'd spice things abit.

I've started weight training since last year (progressively from once a week) to currently 3x a week (albeit mostly on upper body muscle groups at the moment - waitig for my mat to come in so I can train my abs soon, hopefully).

The question is - should I even worry about abs at the moment? The current situation is that although my chest and arms are slowly and steadily getting its form, it seems like my belly seems to be obviously round especially when I stand (even my mom mentioned my tummy lol). To be clearer, should I also be doing abs since I am still trying to do weight gain?

My current composure (based on xiaomi's weighing scale, regardless if it's accurate):

Current weight: 58.95kg [gained about 6kg since I started, yay :P] (Goal: 67.5kg per xiaomi)

Body fats: 11.x% (already looking "bloated?! lol)

Kind advise appreciated! :) 

I don't think the scale is that accurate in predicting body composition. I might not be relying on it as an indicator. If you are trying to gain mass, then you need to workout more, and not just upper body muscle group. The mass you can packed and gain, would be more from the lower limbs. Include lunges, squats, deadlifts for greater mass gain. Honestly, this period, without hitting the gym, it is going to be challenging to build up muscles. Also, it is important to hit the protein requirement in a day if you want to pack some mass. Nutrition and exercise goes hand in hand, but i would believe you need to work on adding more legs or lower limbs exercises first.

8 hours ago, xydboy said:

I don't think the scale is that accurate in predicting body composition. I might not be relying on it as an indicator. If you are trying to gain mass, then you need to workout more, and not just upper body muscle group. The mass you can packed and gain, would be more from the lower limbs. Include lunges, squats, deadlifts for greater mass gain. Honestly, this period, without hitting the gym, it is going to be challenging to build up muscles. Also, it is important to hit the protein requirement in a day if you want to pack some mass. Nutrition and exercise goes hand in hand, but i would believe you need to work on adding more legs or lower limbs exercises first.

I have 1 dumbbell at home hence I'd use that for my upper body training. I usually do 100 reps of push ups (5 sets of 10, body exercise, then another 5 sets of 10) on alternate days so that won't be over exerting my muscles too much.

But then again, wrt the protein intake requirement, referring to this link and this link, if they are following the concept of:

"The daily minimum recommended by the National Institutes of Health is 0.36 grams per pound for a sedentary person."

Does it mean I have to force down about 100g to 200g per day (of course, this is rough estimate based on other weight composition; mine says about 163g daily) in order to gain decent amount of muscle? I have been drinking about 24g (1 scoup) of protein a day (even when not exercising) and some other protein sources (meat etc), but probably not a decent amt. 

Btw, not sure if anyone also feels drinking whey makes you feel "heaty"? 😃

Edited by sum1outhere_03

On 5/5/2020 at 2:53 PM, begleitung said:

Why legs and limbs?

Because it belongs to a major muscle group and it has the capacity to pack a lot more muscle mass as compared to the upper limbs. Compare your thighs and your upper limbs, I think its rather apparent.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, sum1outhere_03 said:

I have 1 dumbbell at home hence I'd use that for my upper body training. I usually do 100 reps of push ups (5 sets of 10, body exercise, then another 5 sets of 10) on alternate days so that won't be over exerting my muscles too much.

But then again, wrt the protein intake requirement, referring to this link and this link, if they are following the concept of:

"The daily minimum recommended by the National Institutes of Health is 0.36 grams per pound for a sedentary person."

Does it mean I have to force down about 100g to 200g per day (of course, this is rough estimate based on other weight composition; mine says about 163g daily) in order to gain decent amount of muscle? I have been drinking about 24g (1 scoup) of protein a day (even when not exercising) and some other protein sources (meat etc), but probably not a decent amt. 

Btw, not sure if anyone also feels drinking whey makes you feel "heaty"? 😃

1. Push ups alone would not be sufficient. I would recommend packing more variations. You can try out this workout (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GlotKr6zU) and use your dumbbell. Same goes for the lower limbs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApDLpHt9rAg&t=79s)

2. I don't usually follow the calculator that is on the website. I don't think its difficult to multiply it yourself with the conversion factor. If we were to follow what you have mentioned, 0.36 g per pound, converting it to kg, that's 0.8 g per kg. If you have a weight of 59, that would be 47.2 kg. But lets say if you want to adhere to the typical recommendations of 1.2 to 1.8 g per kg for a physically active individual. A mid-point of 1.5 g/kg would give you 88.5 g of daily requirement. Hence, I don't use the calculator because of the conversion factor. You could see that you don't need to consume 100 to 200 g per day. If you were to split it to 3 meals, that would approximate 30 g of protein a meal. 100 g of chicken breast would give you that amount of protein. You could obtain protein sources from beans, milk, fish, red meat, etc. You don't need to consume them via protein shake. Yes, a shake would give you 24-25 g of protein, and that could shave it off your daily protein requirement, but a balanced diet could do the same.

3. I take the whey and I don't seem to get anything heaty. From the western school of thought, we don't really follow that "heaty" principle anyway. Haha, as long as you consume lots of fluid and exercise regularly, I think it should be fine.And no, drinking lots of protein shake or taking too much protein will not give you kidney problems. That's a myth that needs to die off with time.

19 hours ago, begleitung said:

So protein supplements/ powder is not necessary?

Yes and no.

An average person requires around 0.8-1.2g of protein per kg bodyweight which is around 48g - 72g if you're 60kg. It is feasable to hit those numbers with foods and making protein supplements seems unnecessary.

However, if you're very active in sports or heavily involved in weightlifting, protein requirements were higher to aid recovery of muscles.

For some, this can't be solely done by foods/diet as it requires huge quantities of protein sources (meat,chicken,fish) to hit it. As an example, a 75-kg weightlifter needs around 150g of protein (2.0g protein/kg) which is equivalent to 500g of chicken breast per day. Realistically, not everyone could eat that much in a day. Besides that, there's also food timing and the athlete's gut health that need to be considered as well.

This is where protein powder comes in as it acts like a supplement your diet to hit your recommended protein intake. Do not treat them as meal replacements as there's other nutrients that your body needs which you could only get from real foods.

TLDR: It's not necessary. Depending on one's protein requirement, protein powder supplements daily food that one consume daily, not replacing it altogether.

Edited by vicerean

14 hours ago, vicerean said:

Yes and no.

An average person requires around 0.8-1.2g of protein per kg bodyweight which is around 48g - 72g if you're 60kg. It is feasable to hit those numbers with foods and making protein supplements seems unnecessary.

However, if you're very active in sports or heavily involved in weightlifting, protein requirements were higher to aid recovery of muscles.

For some, this can't be solely done by foods/diet as it requires huge quantities of protein sources (meat,chicken,fish) to hit it. As an example, a 75-kg weightlifter needs around 150g of protein (2.0g protein/kg) which is equivalent to 500g of chicken breast per day. Realistically, not everyone could eat that much in a day. Besides that, there's also food timing and the athlete's gut health that need to be considered as well.

This is where protein powder comes in as it acts like a supplement your diet to hit your recommended protein intake. Do not treat them as meal replacements as there's other nutrients that your body needs which you could only get from real foods.

TLDR: It's not necessary. Depending on one's protein requirement, protein powder supplements daily food that one consume daily, not replacing it altogether.

Actually if one were to take the higher end of the spectrum as you mentioned, indeed the person would need to consume quite a huge portion of food. But that is in one seating. It is recommended to space up the intake to smaller doses approximately 3 to 4 hours apart, which is typical of a main meal. For someone who is a 75 kg individual, that portion is technically not a huge amount once its broke up into 3 meals. But yes, the main gist is till the unnecessary need for supplementation as long as the main diet is well taken care of. Those who insist on taking them are free to do so, but the main driver of a lifestyle is still the main diet. Like i've always said before, a poor diet supplemented, is still a poor diet after all.

Based on my research, it looks like there are a few factors why i'm having that belly 😅

In essence, my workout is not making myself training enough? 😅

PS: This is just one of those whom I saw, the other youtubers seems to say the same thing :P 

Edited by sum1outhere_03

3 hours ago, sum1outhere_03 said:

Based on my research, it looks like there are a few factors why i'm having that belly 😅

In essence, my workout is not making myself training enough? 😅

PS: This is just one of those whom I saw, the other youtubers seems to say the same thing :P 

Pretty much sums up what I've mentioned as well. Current circuit breaker ain't going to help much. You might want to consider adding in some cardio to shed the excess calories for now.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.