Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

12 hours ago, Jay89 said:

True that, but what I realised is that diff bodies respond in diff ways so what might work for one may not work for the other. That’s why I thought if there’s someone who is a pro at this can at least guide me.

well there's always try and error
the hard part is not workout at gym... it's the diet

for diet part... it's best to get a nutritionist.

Edited by ThePineapple

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

On 9/8/2018 at 7:13 PM, Jay89 said:

Hey,

Is there anyone who is well versed in gym training? I need help as I am newbie in the gym.

I go to Anytime Fitness at Nex, probably can help guide but not an expert

https://www.bodybuilding.com/author/hany-rambod

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156718762179025&set=a.10150116993989025&type=3&theater

Only sugar, carbs and fast food causes obesity

Caloric balance is the major determinant of weight loss or fat gain. It is possible to gain weight, on any diet, if the diet leads to a calorie surplus. You can gain weight on a paleo diet, a low carb diet, the bulletproof diet, a raw food diet, The Atkins Diet, The South Beach Diet, The Zone diet, The Mediterranean Diet or
a “Organic” food diet.

And you can achieve weight loss while eating fast food, sugar, and you can enjoy a coca cola with your burger. It’s about the dose - not a single macronutrient, food group or a specific popular diet fad.

If we are putting the blame on any single macronutrient, or food group - We are in my opinion only showing our own ignorance to the data and research, and doing
a injustice to the individuals we work with.

We are doing this when we are simultaneously putting the blame on sugar, carbs and fast food, while still recommending other high caloric density foods, like raw food ice cream (with dates), Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, or high quality “organic” foods with a
high calorie density.

Some of
my my highly esteemed colleagues views on this:

“The point is to show that if you reduce calories below expenditure, you’ll lose weight regardless of (and despite) the nutritional components. I’ll also add the most important aspect of any diet is adherence. Sure, it’s nice to speak of
ideals
. But what good is giving someone a “healthy” nutritional approach if they don’t follow it?” Dr. Brad Schoenfeld, PhD

"Studies consistently show that weight loss is primarily determined by caloric intake, not diet composition" Jamie Hale

References:

"Individual dietary macronutrients have each been theorized to be the prime culprit for population obesity, but these explanations are unlikely. Rather, obesity probably resulted from changes in the caloric quantity and quality of the food supply in concert with an industrialized food system that produced and marketed convenient, highly processed foods from cheap agricultural inputs.

Such foods often contain high amounts of salt, sugar, fat, and flavor additives and are engineered to have supernormal appetitive properties driving increased consumption. Ubiquitous access to convenient and inexpensive food also changed normative eating behavior, with more people snacking, eating in restaurants, and spending less time preparing meals at home.

While such changes in the food environment provide a likely explanation of the obesity epidemic, definitive scientific demonstration is hindered by the difficulty in experimentally isolating and manipulating important variables at the population level."

Ref.:
Obesity (Silver Spring). 2018 Jan;26(1):11-13. doi: 10.1002/oby.22073. Did the Food Environment Cause the Obesity Epidemic? Hall KD.

“Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.”

Ref.:
N Engl J Med. 2009 Feb 26;360(9):859-73. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa0804748.Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates.Sacks FM1, Bray GA, Carey VJ, Smith SR, Ryan DH, Anton SD, McManus K, Champagne CM, Bishop LM, Laranjo N, Leboff MS, Rood JC, de Jonge L, Greenway FL, Loria CM, Obarzanek E, Williamson DA.

“Caloric balance is the major determinant of weight loss. Diets that reduce caloric intake result in weight loss. In the absence of physical activity, the optimal diet for weight loss contains 1400 to 1500 kcal/d, regardless of macronutrient composition.”

Ref.:
Obes Res. 2001 Mar;9 Suppl 1:1S-40S. Popular diets: a scientific review. Freedman MR1, King J, Kennedy E.

“Trials show weight loss in the short-term irrespective of whether the diet is low CHO or balanced. There is probably little or no difference in weight loss and changes in cardiovascular risk factors up to two years of follow-up when overweight and obese adults, with or without type 2 diabetes, are randomised to low CHO diets and isoenergetic balanced weight loss diets.”

Ref.:
PLoS One. 2014 Jul 9;9(7):e100652. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0100652. eCollection 2014.Low carbohydrate versus isoenergetic balanced diets for reducing weight and cardiovascular risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Naude CE1, Schoonees A1, Senekal M2, Young T3, Garner P4, Volmink J3.

“In conclusion, our results emphasize that substantial weight loss can occur when subjects consume low-energy diets as inpatients, and that this effect, as shown by Alford et al (12), is independent of the relative proportion of dietary fat and carbohydrate.”

Ref.:
Am J Clin Nutr. 1996 Feb;63(2):174-8.Similar weight loss with low- or high-carbohydrate diets.Golay A1, Allaz AF, Morel Y, de Tonnac N, Tankova S, Reaven G.

“In an additional analysis from the POUNDS LOST study,5 no differences were reported among the 4 diet groups when examining other longer-term outcomes (such as food cravings or mood changes). Despite some short-term differences by the 2-year end point, regardless of their macronutrient composition, weight loss was associated with significant reductions in cravings for fats, sweets, and starches while cravings for fruits and vegetables increased.”

Ref:.
JAMA. 2014 Sep 3;312(9):900-1. doi: 10.1001/jama.2014.10837. A diet by any other name is still about energy.Van Horn L.

"We conclude that a calorie is a calorie. From a purely thermodynamic point of view, this is clear because the human body or, indeed, any living organism cannot create or destroy energy but can only convert energy from one form to another. In comparing energy balance between dietary treatments, however, it must be remembered that the units of dietary energy are metabolizable energy and not gross energy. This is perhaps unfortunate because metabolizable energy is much more difficult to determine than isgross energy, because the Atwater factors used in calculating metabolizable energy are not exact. As such, our food tables are not perfect, and small errors are associated with their use.

In addition, we concede that the substitution of one macronutrient for another has been shown in some studies to have a statistically significant effect on the expenditure half of the energy balance equation. This has been observed most often for high-protein diets. Evidence indicates, however, that the difference in energy expenditure is small and can potentially account for less than one-third of the differences in weight loss that have been reported between high-protein or low-carbohydrate diets and high carbohydrate or low-fat diets. As such, a calorie is a calorie."

Ref.:
Buchholz AC, Schoeller DA. Is a calorie a calorie? Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 May;79(5):899S-906S.

Edited by heliumduck

FbTtiDD.png

Yes, that's right! Our Warehouse Sales is back and it's happening over 2 weekends on 6,7,13,14 October 2018 from 10am to 9pm.
The sale is exclusively at 9 Kaki Bukit Rd 2, Gordon Warehouse, 02-23, Singapore 417842.
We'll have apparels, supplements
and accessories from All Brands on Sale up to 90% OFF!
See you there!

On 10/1/2018 at 11:00 PM, heliumduck said:

FbTtiDD.png

Yes, that's right! Our Warehouse Sales is back and it's happening over 2 weekends on 6,7,13,14 October 2018 from 10am to 9pm.
The sale is exclusively at 9 Kaki Bukit Rd 2, Gordon Warehouse, 02-23, Singapore 417842.
We'll have apparels, supplements
and accessories from All Brands on Sale up to 90% OFF!
See you there!

Just in time to get my supps

Any of you have trouble with your calves? My calves are extremely skinny and i really hate it.

I have leg days twice a week, with calves being the first thing and centre of my attention on one of the days.

But im from cf and idk why but they have no damned calf machine. Any advice?

15 hours ago, iwannac said:

Any of you have trouble with your calves? My calves are extremely skinny and i really hate it.

I have leg days twice a week, with calves being the first thing and centre of my attention on one of the days.

But im from cf and idk why but they have no damned calf machine. Any advice?

do you utilize the full range of motion ?

https://gymefit.tw/rex教練/2671/【內部教育訓練】對於非健力流派,傳統硬舉與六/

是要選擇傳統硬舉(Conventional deadlifts)呢?
還是六角槓硬舉(Hexagonal deadlifts;Trap bar deadlifts)?
又或者是相撲硬舉(Sumo deadlifts)呢?

結論

.若非以健力為取向則六角槓硬舉對於下肢肌力及下背安全性較佳。
.若傳統硬舉無法從地面拉起時,可以嘗試六角槓硬舉增加起槓的速度和爆發力。
.但傳統硬舉若是卡在接近僵持點(脛骨至膝蓋)失敗的話,六角槓的效益就不大。
.六角槓硬舉與相撲硬舉的僵持點都在於離地瞬間。
.傳統硬舉對於髖關節及豎脊肌群需求較大。
.總之兩者都練才是王道。

TLDR

train both traditional and hexagon bar deadlifts

other sources quoted -
Effect of a Hexagonal Barbell on the Mechanical Demand of Deadlift Performance
https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/5/4/82

Kinematic analysis of the powerlifting style squat and the conventional deadlift during competition: is there a cross-over effect between lifts?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19910816

A biomechanical analysis of straight and hexagonal barbell deadlifts using submaximal loads.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659894

Edited by heliumduck

4 hours ago, kevinGZ said:

Required advice , If I wish to build up some chest muscle (lean type) , I do more more chest workout &  Drink protein. Do I need to control my diet as well.

you could eat more protein meat first before drinking them unless you are unable to eat well

diet always should come first, most working people drink protein in office cause/if they are unable to cook their own

you work out your chest so much, need to work out your back to balance it

if not the chest will pull your shoulder forward then your shoulder problems might set it

but thats also dependent on your current posture + how much stretching you already ARE DOING with your current chest focused workout

#shoulderday

1. Lateral raise 4sets 20R
2. Standing military press 4sets 12R
3. Standing DB press 4sets 12R
4. BB rear delt row + DB reverse fly 8sets 15R
5. Front raise + Seated cable shrug 4sets 12R

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#delts
1. Lateral raise 6sets 20R
2. DB reverse fly 4sets 20R
3. One arm reverse fly 3sets 15R (Smith M. Supported)
4. Shoulder press M. 5sets 20R
5. Wide grip face pull + Reverse butterfly 4sets 15R

#backday
1. Long pull 6sets 15R
2. Barbell row 4sets 15~12R
3. Chest supported DB row 6sets15
4. Seated cable row 6sets 15~12R (Band added)
5. Lat pull down 4sets 12R

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpEfXYrHwcK/?taken-by=haram.o

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#backday
1. Stading cable rope row 5sets 15R
2. Barbell row 6sets 15~12R
3. Bench prone row 4sets 15~12R
4. Seated cable rope pull down 4sets 15~12R
5. Bent over straight arm pull down (Rope) 4sets 12R

Edited by heliumduck

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.