Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

#chestday
1. Chest press 6sets 20R
2. Incline bench press 5sets 15~12
3. Flat DB press + Under hand cable fly 4sets 12R
4. Incline DB press 5sets 12R (DBs attached)

======================================================================================================================

#chestday
1. Chest press 6sets 20~12R
2. Incline DB press + Incline DB attached press 7sets12R each
3. Pec deck(butterfly M) 7sets 15R

#legday #squat
1. Leg extension 5sets 20R
2. Smith M. Squat 5sets 15~12R (Narrow stance/band added)
3. Smith Split squat 5sets 15R (On the step box)
4. Wide stance leg press + Walking lunge 4sets 20R each
5. DB stiff leg deadlift 4sets 20R (Deep down and half up ROM)

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 

#legday
1. Leg extension 6sets 20R
2. Barbell squat 5sets 15~8R (Super narrow stance)
3. Power leg press 6sets 20 ~ 15R (Band added/negative)
4. Walking lunge + Leg extension + Inner thigh + Hip abduction 4sets 20R each
5. Stiff leg deadlift 4sets 20R

#biceps #triceps
1. Seated DB curl + Kickback 8sets 20~15R
2. Seated Rope curl + Incline triceps press 6sets 15R

#arms #biceps #triceps
1. Incline DB curl + Cable push down 8sets 15R
2. Cable curl + Cable skull crusher 8sets 12R

#biceps #triceps
1. Barbell curl + Rope push down 5sets 15R
2. Smith spider curl + DB skull crusher 4sets 15~12R
3. Cable preacher curl + V-bar push down 4sets 12R
4. Incline DB curl + Kickback 4sets 12R

Edited by heliumduck

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2018 at 2:48 AM, kidster said:

I notice my abs are not aligned which means one side is higher than the other.

I always do the same no. of reps for both sides.

What could the reasons? How should I correct it?

You can try to "align" it but it pretty much is genetic. Have seen many bodybuilders or physique athletes with asymmetrical abs.

15 hours ago, xydboy said:

You can try to "align" it but it pretty much is genetic. Have seen many bodybuilders or physique athletes with asymmetrical abs.

I thought it's because I'm dependent on one side of the abs more than the other when coming up. That's why it becomes misaligned over time. 

8 hours ago, kidster said:

I thought it's because I'm dependent on one side of the abs more than the other when coming up. That's why it becomes misaligned over time. 

It might be, but I doubt that's the case. Taking a cross-sectional study that compared people who train vs people who use their dominant side often (i.e. soccer players), looking at the dominant to non-dominant asymmetry, they don't really show a very significant difference. Even within groups itself, comparing the muscle volume between the dominant and non-dominant leg in either those who trained often vs those who do not exercise, the total amount of muscle volume remains pretty similar. In fact, instead of causing more asymmetry, the opposite happens. By becoming more active in such asymmetrical sport (soccer), the dominant to non-dominant asymmetry is attenuated/reduced due to certain pattern of muscle change. Furthermore, suggesting that the usage of a dominant side often would not induce a greater percentage of asymmetry in muscle volume. However, with that being said, we won't know if the pattern of muscle growth induced from asymmetrical sports would be detrimental to health or a root cause fo issues like back pain. That remains to be studied.  (source:https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0019022

15 hours ago, xydboy said:

It might be, but I doubt that's the case. Taking a cross-sectional study that compared people who train vs people who use their dominant side often (i.e. soccer players), looking at the dominant to non-dominant asymmetry, they don't really show a very significant difference. Even within groups itself, comparing the muscle volume between the dominant and non-dominant leg in either those who trained often vs those who do not exercise, the total amount of muscle volume remains pretty similar. In fact, instead of causing more asymmetry, the opposite happens. By becoming more active in such asymmetrical sport (soccer), the dominant to non-dominant asymmetry is attenuated/reduced due to certain pattern of muscle change. Furthermore, suggesting that the usage of a dominant side often would not induce a greater percentage of asymmetry in muscle volume. However, with that being said, we won't know if the pattern of muscle growth induced from asymmetrical sports would be detrimental to health or a root cause fo issues like back pain. That remains to be studied.  (source:https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0019022

Woah! Thanks. I guess having a misaligned abs is better than not having abs at all. haha

Hi all! I'm looking for advice on how to gain weight. I've been skinny all my life probably due to my high metabolism, but after enlisting I managed to gain around 3-4kg so I guess that's a start. I'm looking to hit the gym soon, what are some exercises I should be doing for someone who has never gym-ed before? Also what kind of diet would help me gain weight more quickly? Is protein powder,etc necessary?  My stats are 20 169 49 if they matter. Thanks!

On 12/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, curiousboy4411 said:

Hi all! I'm looking for advice on how to gain weight. I've been skinny all my life probably due to my high metabolism, but after enlisting I managed to gain around 3-4kg so I guess that's a start. I'm looking to hit the gym soon, what are some exercises I should be doing for someone who has never gym-ed before? Also what kind of diet would help me gain weight more quickly? Is protein powder,etc necessary?  My stats are 20 169 49 if they matter. Thanks!

Your stat is quite similar to mine. I am seeing progress for myself but still very slow (but hey better than none). What I have learned so far is try to do less cardio and more weightlifting. Increase intake of calories first (protein is not the main focus for now). After seeing a constant gain in weight then you can shift your focus back to some cardio and protein intake.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, curiousboy4411 said:

Hi, 

I would say eat a lot, train a lot, rest a lot. Need to think through and learn from website like here..bodybuilding.com etc

Gain muscles -  protein - be it chicken, or protein powder.  ( I also stockpiled during sale of 1 of every type -https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/top50.htm)

Gain fats- anything will do. 

After about 2 mths of cardio, eating and more serious weightlifting. 

Start slow and once you have build up enough muscles, I think you will feel easier.

Should be easier for you since you are younger as I find building up easier when I was your age. .

Cheers,

Edited by Garyl

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all muscle & mass gainers out there, I would like more information before I decide whether it's worth the time, effort and money to do so, may have lots of questions (and some rantings) so pls be patient with me.

I'm born an ectomorph (or so I thought). As far as my memory works, I remembered that I felt like I have "stopped" growing since Secondary school days, even though I could eat a lot.

Now fast-forward till now, I am (honestly speaking) 50ish kg (not the weight I put in my profile, sorry :(). Just some thoughts that especially those successful cases of muscle gainers could help, although I always thought I might be passing with flying colours in terms of "theory" but failed badly in "practicals"...

Eating:

• What is the most practical way, especially for working adults? What are some of the foods you bring to office for your input loading?
  • Protein shakes & mass gainers - should one really drink this daily even in non-workout days? 
  • Is it a truth or myth that you can overload your kidneys if you over intake proteins? 
  • How do you guys overcome the "grow in the belly" syndrome? I noticed that if I just eat (and exercise less), most of my excess stores in that area, which looks like skinny with beer belly :( 

Exercising, gymming:

• How much of exercise is really enough, is there really a standard answer? I have seen people who exercise daily + rest 1 or 2 days, or 3x a week, which was what was recommended by my gym instructor. But my main concern is, since I'm underweight by not eating enough, would exercise 3x weekly too much? 
  • Again, this is by my own experiences when I gym previously - 
    (1) After "warm up" (e.g. running in thread mill for 10mins), I find that I am already depleting 40% of my body energy. Almost toward 70% of exercise time, I could feel my body keeps shouting to stop. Is this just my psychological limitation? I always fear of over exercising, which had happened to me once.
  • How do you guys know what exercises you do, do you actually track what body parts to do for the day? I remember, I always ended up training the same parts of my body for every session of my own...

Sleeping:

• Theoretically, I know that one is supposed to "sleep like a pig" and a min 7 hours, is that right? From my information gathering, it also seems like gym is only but a small part of the equation; the kitchen and the bed are also the important parts of muscle gaining. Will it still work if I have my good sleep but it's just 5-6 hours? Is it a standard formula? I could only be able to sleep in during weekends :/

Thanks in advance for any kind soul who's able to help :) 

Edited by sum1outhere_03

Will you be my valentine's? :D

On 1/24/2019 at 10:27 PM, sum1outhere_03 said:

Hey all muscle & mass gainers out there, I would like more information before I decide whether it's worth the time, effort and money to do so, may have lots of questions (and some rantings) so pls be patient with me.

I'm born an ectomorph (or so I thought). As far as my memory works, I remembered that I felt like I have "stopped" growing since Secondary school days, even though I could eat a lot.

Now fast-forward till now, I am (honestly speaking) 50ish kg (not the weight I put in my profile, sorry :(). Just some thoughts that especially those successful cases of muscle gainers could help, although I always thought I might be passing with flying colours in terms of "theory" but failed badly in "practicals"...

Eating:

• What is the most practical way, especially for working adults? What are some of the foods you bring to office for your input loading? (I usually have my good O' chicken breast together with my broccoli, carrots and sweet potato. I did my calculations and weigh the items accordingly. Maybe you might want to consider doing that as a mean to determine if what you've been eating is truly enough. Many people tend to underestimate what they eat.)
  • Protein shakes & mass gainers - should one really drink this daily even in non-workout days? (Depends on your caloric intake. Back to the previous answer on the importance of recording daily caloric intake)
  • Is it a truth or myth that you can overload your kidneys if you over intake proteins? (Not true at all)
  • How do you guys overcome the "grow in the belly" syndrome? I noticed that if I just eat (and exercise less), most of my excess stores in that area, which looks like skinny with beer belly :(  (Then start exercising more. For males, the fats tend to accumulate in central region, so its quite normal. To prevent this, start working out more frequently)

Exercising, gymming:

• How much of exercise is really enough, is there really a standard answer? I have seen people who exercise daily + rest 1 or 2 days, or 3x a week, which was what was recommended by my gym instructor. But my main concern is, since I'm underweight by not eating enough, would exercise 3x weekly too much? (Based on exercise recommendations from authorities, we are looking at resistance exercise of 2-3x per week, and cardio around 3-5x per week depending on intensity)
  • Again, this is by my own experiences when I gym previously - 
    (1) After "warm up" (e.g. running in thread mill for 10mins), I find that I am already depleting 40% of my body energy. Almost toward 70% of exercise time, I could feel my body keeps shouting to stop. Is this just my psychological limitation? I always fear of over exercising, which had happened to me once. (Your warm up is too intense. The intensity of a warm up should be something which cause light sweat, and if you are running, it should be a pace where you can talk comfortably. Yes, you will get tired at the start, but with time, your body will adapt)
  • How do you guys know what exercises you do, do you actually track what body parts to do for the day? I remember, I always ended up training the same parts of my body for every session of my own... (You can do a google search. There are plenty of exercise programs available out there. Its not about what you do, but how often can you do those exercises and keep up with it)

Sleeping:

• Theoretically, I know that one is supposed to "sleep like a pig" and a min 7 hours, is that right? From my information gathering, it also seems like gym is only but a small part of the equation; the kitchen and the bed are also the important parts of muscle gaining. Will it still work if I have my good sleep but it's just 5-6 hours? Is it a standard formula? I could only be able to sleep in during weekends :/ (Start heading to bed early on weekdays. I also get around 5-6 hours of rest at times, but it still work not too badly. Ideally try and hit as much hours of sleep as possible. Everything is important, not about which is more important than the other.)

Thanks in advance for any kind soul who's able to help :) 

I have inserted my response to the questions raised. End of the day, its about getting into habit of exercising. If you find working out in the gym intimidating, then start of with body weight exercises at the park or at home. You eventually will build good enough stamina to do the higher intensity workouts at the gym.

• 1 month later...

There is no end to learning.  Today I learned about a bodybuilder I had never heard of:  Dave Draper.

He was at his peak in the 1960s,  at the same level as Arnold Schwarzenegger. 

What amazes me the most is that now,  in his 70s,  he is still a model of bodybuilding and not a physical ruin.  Here is a video about him:

I have found a role model!  I am about as old as he is, also in my 70s,  and my experience is exactly like his:  working out consistently through adult life, following a plan of traditional  exercises,  no drugs, no supplements, no nothing  (although he took and maybe takes some minor stuff).  Healthy and in good spirits still strong and functional. 

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Bodysize

Hi all,

im in the process of losing weight but I just wonder how do guys know which body size is suitable for them ?

some guys look great in lean fit, some guys look good in not overwhelming muscular form . 

I’m lost whether to lose more weight and train up to become lean fit or lose lesser weight and become muscular 

the thing is I don’t know which body siE best fit me 

6 hours ago, Guest Bodysize said:

Hi all,

im in the process of losing weight but I just wonder how do guys know which body size is suitable for them ?

some guys look great in lean fit, some guys look good in not overwhelming muscular form . 

I’m lost whether to lose more weight and train up to become lean fit or lose lesser weight and become muscular 

the thing is I don’t know which body siE best fit me 

Look into the mirror to find out. Anything that makes you happy would be the answer you are looking for. Its hard for people to answer such question for you because its like asking someone what your favourite food is.

Hi all, 

I'm currently looking at a good way to build my lower body muscle; any gym-er or bodybuilder don't mind to share some tips here? 

I've been building my muscle for 2years since I start reporting to the gym, currently have an average built upper body (arms, chest, packs). but looking at to build my leg and (especially) my butt... 

hearing from you, you and you soon :):):)

Thank you 

Guest Little Bear Uncle
On 3/15/2019 at 8:13 PM, Guest Guest jack said:

Steve, He is on steriods ... you need to be aware of whats going on man..

There's this gym on JB which is very cheap to join. But after I went for a few times, someone approached me to sell stuff. He guaranteed me that I can be as big and strong as I want, looking like him. It's more than a thousand ringgit for one month supply. No wonder the gym is so cheap and still can survive so long.

That's right, from the comments below, no wonder the whole video don't show what's he look like now.

Jesse higdon

I know Dave personally he lives down the road from me. He had four heart attacks since the thumbnail picture. He just had a quadruple bypass last year. He's constantly talking about the side effects of steroids. He was like a grandfather to me. I was at his world gym in Santa Cruz when it opened i was 12. He bought Arnold his first bed in America and helped him get his fist car witch was a Volkswagen. Ive heard so many stories from the golds gym era. But he looks nothing like what he did in these old pictures from the late 90s that you're showing. Infact he's in a wheelchair and doesn't leave his house. He sold his gym years ago. He's not doing to good its actually sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I’m a 40 year old guy and finding it hard to get an eating plan that I can stick to. Anyone have any ideas of meal plans to help me shift around 10 kilos? I run 3-4 times a week and light weights as I’ve a back issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:30 AM, Flipper said:

Hi, I’m a 40 year old guy and finding it hard to get an eating plan that I can stick to. Anyone have any ideas of meal plans to help me shift around 10 kilos? I run 3-4 times a week and light weights as I’ve a back issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated 

Sometimes if u felt those workout doesnt work for u, it means it s nt on a effective track

u r doing wts to gain muscle???

there is no eating plans: just cut dwn on items u shd b cutting dwn on

u shd knw your body best

to me, i m never on any ex regimens or plans, since young i hve been eating like that

i dont touch bb tea although i have a sweet tooth

Guest Fit Uncle
16 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

Are u??? 

I'm seriously not sure.

Some people say I'm beefy, some say I'm stocky, some say I'm fit.

I think I'm fit and not beefy enough.  I eat more protein to bulk up and exercise everyday, sometimes twice. I'm afraid that all that protein I eat will turn to fat if I don't work harder to build them into muscles. I get muscle aches most of the time but I'm afraid to slow down because I don't want to lose the muscles that took years to build. 

I feel very anxious when I don't exercise because I've tried laying off for just one week and suddenly I felt very much weaker and take a few weeks to get back my strength. Even when I feel the muscle aches when I sleep, it feels good and reassuring. When I don't get it, I feel like I'm lazy and slacking off.

I don't know if it's insecurity but it felt really good when I compare my body with those contemporaries around my age group. I like showing off naked and see the envy in their eyes. I know I'm vain when people woof at me online. Gays are superficial and I know it's my body that gets me attention. It makes me work hard so I can body tease these admirers. It feels so worth it, but also makes me afraid to lose it.

No pain no gain. 

Liked your keywd abt gays- superficial + muscles

i believed in natural intake/consumption eg we have proteins consumed based on the meat we ate in the afternn

nt thru pills/vitamins or in any other forms

of cos basic form of exercise is gd for health, nt ref to beefing muscles

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there...

I have finally started workout as have signed up for the activesg membership (with the $100 initial paid by gahment :P), and also bought several protein powders. 

However I do have some questions on bulking (still), thanks in advance to whomever is willing to answer my queries:

1. Although based on many youtubers, the growth rate is about 0.9kg to 1.8kg per month... So, if I do not experience any growth after a certain period of time, does it mean that either of the aspects (not enough calories/sleep/ protein) are the cause (though have been exercising)?
  2. How much exactly do we need to consume protein on daily basis to see muscle growth? Does it mean we have to intake about 56g of protein per day? If that's the case, it looks like almost every meal there must be some protein intake :')
  3. For exercise - how does one differentiate muscle soreness and muscle injury, and does injury affect growth?

Many thanks in advance :) 

Will you be my valentine's? :D

5 hours ago, sum1outhere_03 said:

Hi there...

I have finally started workout as have signed up for the activesg membership (with the $100 initial paid by gahment :P), and also bought several protein powders. 

However I do have some questions on bulking (still), thanks in advance to whomever is willing to answer my queries:

1. Although based on many youtubers, the growth rate is about 0.9kg to 1.8kg per month... So, if I do not experience any growth after a certain period of time, does it mean that either of the aspects (not enough calories/sleep/ protein) are the cause (though have been exercising)?
  2. How much exactly do we need to consume protein on daily basis to see muscle growth? Does it mean we have to intake about 56g of protein per day? If that's the case, it looks like almost every meal there must be some protein intake :')
  3. For exercise - how does one differentiate muscle soreness and muscle injury, and does injury affect growth?

Many thanks in advance :) 

I work on the simple formula of 2g of protein for every 1kg of body mass

On 3/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, Guest Little Bear Uncle said:

That's right, from the comments below, no wonder the whole video don't show what's he look like now.

Jesse higdon

I know Dave personally he lives down the road from me. He had four heart attacks since the thumbnail picture. He just had a quadruple bypass last year. He's constantly talking about the side effects of steroids. He was like a grandfather to me. I was at his world gym in Santa Cruz when it opened i was 12. He bought Arnold his first bed in America and helped him get his fist car witch was a Volkswagen. Ive heard so many stories from the golds gym era. But he looks nothing like what he did in these old pictures from the late 90s that you're showing. Infact he's in a wheelchair and doesn't leave his house. He sold his gym years ago. He's not doing to good its actually sad.

I also read the above comment on youtube, which is disputed.  

Dave Draper was born in April 1942 and is now 77 years old.   The video was published 1 1/2 years ago, so it is believable that he was 75 at the time.  And  HE LOOKS that age, if not a bit older.  So the pictures were not from the late 90s. 

Regardless, if at 75 he looked like in the video, it is remarkable!  Even if in the 2 years since a grand piano would have fallen on his head and he is a paraplegic. His example is  VERY BELIEVABLE.  I am nearly his age and I have lost some but not too much strength since my younger days. 

On 3/15/2019 at 7:13 AM, Guest Guest jack said:

Steve, He is on steriods ... you need to be aware of whats going on man..

Steroids?  What is that?  I have never heard of "steroids".... is that going on man?  :lol:

Steroids are not necessary at all to be old and in great shape.  And in perfect health.  It's enough to train consistently.

6 hours ago, blowmenow said:

i am having the issue of wanting to remove my abdominal fat for abs and eating well to bulk up muscles.

I try to cut down food intake to control body mass but at risk of not eating enough for muscle bulking

pls advise

Can I advise?  

What if you forget about muscle bulking and concentrate on losing abdominal fat?  Then when you are as ripped as you want to be,  return to muscle building but much more knowledgeable about the kind of foods you should eat. The world today is full of recommendations about optimum nutrition.  And concentrate on the core muscles, working out the abdominal muscles like crazy.  Did you know that Madonna used to do 1000 crunches in one set?   But you want to be bulkier than her... and you can add some weight to build a six-pack.

On 5/25/2019 at 1:39 AM, sum1outhere_03 said:
  1. For exercise - how does one differentiate muscle soreness and muscle injury, and does injury affect growth?

Muscle soreness, also called "delayed onset muscle soreness" is a pain that sets in one or two days after exercising a muscle in a way it is not used to.  It should disappear in about a week. Rather than a negative, it gives a clue that the muscle is going to grow, but needs time.

Muscle injury causes pain right away.  This deserves a recovery period that can last a long time, during which the muscle should not be stressed.  In this sense, injury affects grow, or at best delays it.  Most of the time muscles recover from injuries by themselves given the time to heal, although scar tissue can develop forming "adhesions" that makes them stiffer but can be removed with some techniques.

Edited by Steve5380

21 hours ago, blowmenow said:

i am having the issue of wanting to remove my abdominal fat for abs and eating well to bulk up muscles.

I try to cut down food intake to control body mass but at risk of not eating enough for muscle bulking

pls advise

I think its better to know what you have been doing before comments can be given. There are many facets to your issue and insufficient information is given. Not sure what exercises have been done and how often do you train. Diet is important, but also, the type of exercises that you do matter.

After learning about Dave Draper, now I found bodybuilder Frank Zane.  An even better role model!

Today at 76 he is not in a wheel chair, he hasn't had quadruple bypass and serious medical problems.  Except for his face, he is in really good shape.  He must not be gay, otherwise he would have taken care of his face and would look at least 10 years younger,  hahaha.

He reached his peak in his 20s and 30s.  Once at his peak, it's hard to improve thereafter.

It seems that the best is to work out in moderation when young, and work out harder in old age.

If we wait until 40 to give more attention to the physical body,  we can only progress from there.

And we avoid the abuses of the body and injuries that can come in the eagerness of youth to "be the best we can". 

And we reach the 70s with hardly any degradation, to enjoy the best times in life :)

On 5/26/2019 at 7:06 AM, Steve5380 said:

Can I advise?  

What if you forget about muscle bulking and concentrate on losing abdominal fat?  Then when you are as ripped as you want to be,  return to muscle building but much more knowledgeable about the kind of foods you should eat. The world today is full of recommendations about optimum nutrition.  And concentrate on the core muscles, working out the abdominal muscles like crazy.  Did you know that Madonna used to do 1000 crunches in one set?   But you want to be bulkier than her... and you can add some weight to build a six-pack.

Thank you very much, Steve

Really appreciate your input

On 5/26/2019 at 10:19 PM, xydboy said:

I think its better to know what you have been doing before comments can be given. There are many facets to your issue and insufficient information is given. Not sure what exercises have been done and how often do you train. Diet is important, but also, the type of exercises that you do matter.

i go to a small gym about 3 times a week on average

usually start with treadmill for 20-30 minutes  after which i do workout with dumbell (max weight available is only 10 kg)

i also do home workout (weight-free)

i go hiking once a week

i watch my diet.. avoid fried and oily food.. take generous amount of eggs and fruits whenever possible (so its not regimented or consistent actually)

i do feel my metabolic rate dropping and feel tired easily

thanks for your insight

21 hours ago, blowmenow said:

i go to a small gym about 3 times a week on average

usually start with treadmill for 20-30 minutes  after which i do workout with dumbell (max weight available is only 10 kg)

i also do home workout (weight-free)

i go hiking once a week

i watch my diet.. avoid fried and oily food.. take generous amount of eggs and fruits whenever possible (so its not regimented or consistent actually)

i do feel my metabolic rate dropping and feel tired easily

thanks for your insight

Based on the inputs you have given, it will be difficult to achieve both losing your abdominal fat, and also bulking.

It is difficult to bulk because your body is not receiving enough stimulus for the muscles to grow. 10 kg weights are not sufficient loading for the major muscle groups. I am assuming you must be working out at a home-gym facility, hence the small amount of equipment and weights. The inconsistency in diet is also another reason. For the body to grow, you need constant nutrients. In terms of hypertrophy, you need to ensure that your daily intake of diet consist of 1.8g/kg of protein. Given your weight, you should be consuming at least 121 g of protein a day. If we were to space it out evenly, its around 40 g of protein for each meal. Sources include chicken, eggs, beans, fish, and also diary products. The lack of muscle growth and also the age might also explain the reduction in metabolic rate. Usually its calculated and hardly observable due to biases, so I'm unsure how you come to that conclusion.

It is difficult to cut because of the amount of physical activity you are doing. Working out on average 3 times a week with treadmill of 20-30 min each week and hiking, that would usually amount to barely hitting the weekly requirement of 150 min/week of moderate intensity exercise. If you want to lose weight, you need to ramp up the amount of time spent doing physical activity. This explains the increase in fat mass in abdominal region, and might not necessarily be an outcome of the drop in metabolic rate.

What you are currently doing well includes being mindful of your food and also physical activity. What you can improve further is to work on increasing energy expenditure and perhaps a proper food log might be useful to increase the mindfulness of eating. Try keeping a 1 week worth of food log and you will be able to see a trend and also the quality of food that you consume. And also, if possible, try to invest in a gym membership. Even activeSG gym is also as good. Don't need to be heading to super expensive gyms. 

Edited by xydboy

On 5/28/2019 at 10:47 PM, xydboy said:

Based on the inputs you have given, it will be difficult to achieve both losing your abdominal fat, and also bulking.

It is difficult to bulk because your body is not receiving enough stimulus for the muscles to grow. 10 kg weights are not sufficient loading for the major muscle groups. I am assuming you must be working out at a home-gym facility, hence the small amount of equipment and weights. The inconsistency in diet is also another reason. For the body to grow, you need constant nutrients. In terms of hypertrophy, you need to ensure that your daily intake of diet consist of 1.8g/kg of protein. Given your weight, you should be consuming at least 121 g of protein a day. If we were to space it out evenly, its around 40 g of protein for each meal. Sources include chicken, eggs, beans, fish, and also diary products. The lack of muscle growth and also the age might also explain the reduction in metabolic rate. Usually its calculated and hardly observable due to biases, so I'm unsure how you come to that conclusion.

It is difficult to cut because of the amount of physical activity you are doing. Working out on average 3 times a week with treadmill of 20-30 min each week and hiking, that would usually amount to barely hitting the weekly requirement of 150 min/week of moderate intensity exercise. If you want to lose weight, you need to ramp up the amount of time spent doing physical activity. This explains the increase in fat mass in abdominal region, and might not necessarily be an outcome of the drop in metabolic rate.

What you are currently doing well includes being mindful of your food and also physical activity. What you can improve further is to work on increasing energy expenditure and perhaps a proper food log might be useful to increase the mindfulness of eating. Try keeping a 1 week worth of food log and you will be able to see a trend and also the quality of food that you consume. And also, if possible, try to invest in a gym membership. Even activeSG gym is also as good. Don't need to be heading to super expensive gyms. 

wow! this is really excellent feedback!

thank you so much really!

i am taking ur advise seriously. really really appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone here have experience with buying lifting belts?

I lift for fun and am thinking of getting a durable and affordable belt.

The suggested guidelines for the belts specs are 10cm width, 10mm thickness unpadded single prong leather belt.

My question is what other specs should I beware of?

Take for example of the below belt which matches the above guidelines.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/justliftz-powerlifting-and-weightlifting-belt-with-lever-buckle-10mm-233435127/?ref=search&ref_sort_by=&ref_query=lifting belt&ref_collection_id=1725&ref_cc_id=395&ref_referrer=%2Fsearch%2Fproducts%2F%3Fsort_by%3D%26query%3Dlifting%20belt%26collection_id%3D1725%26cc_id%3D395&ref_reqId=m5uVFqiGp0wTdw82bqsJxPxn0N3KcXKC

• 1 month later...
Guest btmguy
On 6/18/2019 at 7:45 PM, Perception said:

I lift for fun and am thinking of getting a durable and affordable belt.

If you are lifting for fun and not going to go heavy then I don't think you need to get a lifting belt

Hi guys!

Been meaning to start gyming for the longest time but I still can't find the courage to do so.

Wish I had a friend to go gym with but I know that I should be my own motivation...  I guess  I'm just so insecure of my skinny body....

Anywho.... are there any promos available? Kinda missed the AF promo during the GSS period. Thinking of signing for a membership if it isn't too expensive...

29 minutes ago, fallmerees said:

Hi guys!

Been meaning to start gyming for the longest time but I still can't find the courage to do so.

Wish I had a friend to go gym with but I know that I should be my own motivation...  I guess  I'm just so insecure of my skinny body....

Anywho.... are there any promos available? Kinda missed the AF promo during the GSS period. Thinking of signing for a membership if it isn't too expensive...

Go do proper homework about gyms and their facilities and membership price,as well as accessibility. Don't forget to calculate your budget as well. 

Then once you made your decision to sign , make sure you plan your time well. 

On 8/10/2019 at 10:53 PM, fallmerees said:

Hi guys!

Look for any upcoming AF opening near you so that you can take advantage of the launch membership fee.

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, fallmerees said:

Hi guys!

Insecure of your skinny body?  You should instead feel that being skinny you are the right person to be working out in the gym.  And contrary to those muscular strong bodies that inspire envy,  you should find a friendlier reception including people who would be glad to advise and even partner with you.

But if insecurity and cost are obstacles,  you can do some good workout at home too.

On 10/2/2019 at 3:24 AM, Behrhunter said:

Good tips, deadlifts are one of my greatest fears :P

Yes, these tips are good indeed.  But deadlifts are not superior to squats,  and these can be done safely too.  If one puts safety first, something that is not a bad idea for seniors like me,  to squat in a Smith rack is not as bad as some elitist wants to paint it but is nearly as effective (unless one has the weird idea of becoming a champion bodybuilder)

The deadlifts that are really excellent are the stiff-legged ones,  so effective for the lower back.  But they need the same precautions as the regular ones in maintaining the back straight, something easy to do if one tries to keep looking forwards as much as possible when going down,  and one does not mind sticking out the ass as much as possible. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.