Male HQ

How To Exercise & Lose Weight / Slim Down & Get Rid Of Love Handle Aka Spare Tyre? (Compiled)

worldangel

i recommend, low carbo diet follow by daily run of at least 5KM.....after run in the evening, dont eat any rice and noodle, just plain miso soup with beancurd or salad or protein shake w milk and sleep off.

seriously, with the excess fats, how to tell ur body to use it? By some sort of being hungry but not starving mode...it will force ur body to use ur storage fats as fuel.

meanwhile for the next few mths, u may feel light headed as ur body is adjusting itself.

if u have the motivation and determination, few mths later and up to 1 yr, u see a new u.

Can anyone help me or train together with me ?

and since u need help or need someone to train together, it means u r not self motivated. u will fail at your attempt.

no one owes u their time to train you to achieve ur goal..remember, its for urself.

I think something that helps a lot is cutting down on sugary food and drinks.

Soft drinks are full of sugar, I think most people know this.

But, read the labels on the groceries you buy, some may contain a lot of sugar. For example, some breakfast cereal may seem healthy (wholegrain), but some varieties have sugar listed as the SECOND ingredient, meaning by volume it is the 2nd most copious ingredient.

Fruit juice drinks might contain added sugar.

Lots of food in the supermarket actually contain lots of sugar, including my favourite Kettle Honey Djon chips!

Also look out for ingredients like fructose, sucrose, molasses, corn syrup etc. All these are simply different forms of sugar.

Read the nutrition information on groceries.

Try to eat less white bread, beehoon, biscuits etc. as these refined starches get converted into simple sugars in your body. Eat wholemeal bread, brown/red rice. Go for dark chocolate instead of milk/white.

I think the occasional treat is still okay. Myself, I managed to cut out soft drinks and only have it a couple of times a month when I'm having fast food outside. But I love cake too much to give it up (Oh man I LOVE the cakey!)

• 4 weeks later...

After running 700 km plus strict food regimen over 5 months, he cut down weight from 240 kg to 78 kg, BMI from 33.2 to 21.6

I think you made a mistake, the article says he was 120 kg and dropped to 78 kg. The article says he saw a 240 "jin" self in the mirror, which means he was about 110 kg.

240 kg would mean he is extremely obese to the point of disability.

It's not some elusive secret guys.

Drink water, eat more meals in smaller portions, swap out white rice/bread for low GI alternatives and go for the healthier option (e.g skinless chicken breast as opposed to chicken thigh)

Allow yourself to indulge for about 10% of your meals (of course don't overdo it).

Exercise regularly. Start slow then work your way up. Good balance of weights and cardio. The internet is your friend.

Speaking from personal experience. Was almost 100kg in June this year.

is it normal to feel a bit hungry all the time when u take smaller meals thruout the day?

thats how i feel. like half-full feeling and later feel guilty like i keep wanting to eat.

I think something that helps a lot is cutting down on sugary food and drinks.

Soft drinks are full of sugar, I think most people know this.

But, read the labels on the groceries you buy, some may contain a lot of sugar. For example, some breakfast cereal may seem healthy (wholegrain), but some varieties have sugar listed as the SECOND ingredient, meaning by volume it is the 2nd most copious ingredient.

Fruit juice drinks might contain added sugar.

Lots of food in the supermarket actually contain lots of sugar, including my favourite Kettle Honey Djon chips!

Also look out for ingredients like fructose, sucrose, molasses, corn syrup etc. All these are simply different forms of sugar.

Read the nutrition information on groceries.

Try to eat less white bread, beehoon, biscuits etc. as these refined starches get converted into simple sugars in your body. Eat wholemeal bread, brown/red rice. Go for dark chocolate instead of milk/white.

I think the occasional treat is still okay. Myself, I managed to cut out soft drinks and only have it a couple of times a month when I'm having fast food outside. But I love cake too much to give it up (Oh man I LOVE the cakey!)

I support the idea of cutting down sugar in our diet not only to slim down but also to stay healthy (reducing risk of getting diabetes and heart disease). However for most of us, what is considered as high in added sugar?

Basically, the recommendation is that added sugar to make up less than 10% of our energy intake, which is effectively less than 50g of added sugar if a male eats normally (http://www.nrv.gov.au/disease/macronutrient.htm).

Just some figures below to illustrate some of the added sugar contents in our groceries:

Weetbix/Cornflakes = 1g to 2g per serve

Typical cereals = 6g to 10g per serve

Fruit juice = 12g to 16g per serve

Soft drink = 20g per serve

I think one of the obstacles in cutting added sugar down is whether or not we know how to interpret the nutrition information panel on our groceries.

Anyway, another point to make is that regardless of the sugar/carbohydrate ones eat (refined or unrefined), it will still be converted to glucose (the sugar used in our body for fuel) and contribute to energy intake. I speculate that the reason for why low GI food can aid in slimming down is it may contain more fibre, which can easily make one's stomach fuller, and thus result in one becoming satiated easier.

Lastly, it is important to enjoy your food and eat foods in moderation. Don't hate or avoid any food that you previously liked because it is fattening! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been hitting the gym thrice a week and doing supersets for more than one year. I heard that superset is supposed to help burning fats. Muscles have been developing slowly but  my belly fat hasn't decreased at all. I used to weighed 50 kg( I m 175cm) that time though I was slim I couldn't see six packs, but a layer of fat also. Now I increased to almost 70kg and waist size is 32.I am eating much less compare to others my weight and height ( I even eat less than girls/autie ) but still the fat is there. Any advices? Thanks in advance!

Edited by boy20s

There are a few factors in contributing the accumulation of fats: 

Age - As you grow old, your metabolism decreases, and therefore it is more difficult to remove layer of fats. 

Nature of work - Most people have a sedentary lifestyle when it comes to work since we are living in Singapore, where most of our jobs are desk-bound.

Eating lifestyle - From the sound of it, you have been either skipping meals or decreasing your meal intake. When you face hunger, your body counters this by decreasing your metabolism rate in order to "survive". It is in our gene that we have this mechanism to counteract against hunger, which was prevalent before the modern age. Your body won't understand this and therefore constantly activate this reaction.

Exercise activities - From the sound of it you have been just concentrating on building muscles and nothing else. It is true that muscles will require more energy to maintain them, but I believe the other 3 factors have a bigger weight against just this one factor alone. Ideally you should also be accompanying your muscle- building session with cardio increases your heart rate, which is actually more beneficial during fat-loss regime. 

I have been hitting the gym thrice a week and doing supersets for more than one year. I heard that superset is supposed to help burning fats. Muscles have been developing slowly but  my belly fat hasn't decreased at all. I used to weighed 50 kg( I m 175cm) that time though I was slim I couldn't see six packs, but a layer of fat also. Now I increased to almost 70kg and waist size is 32.I am eating much less compare to others my weight and height ( I even eat less than girls/autie ) but still the fat is there. Any advices? Thanks in advance!

Eating less is not necessarily bad for your metabolism as long as you space your meals out. You just need a constant supply of calories throughout the day. But yes skipping meals is not advisable.

Try incorporating a 30 minute cardio activity in the gym before you do weights. My reading suggests that intervals (periods of rest and burst) are better than a consistent cardio activity.

I also agree with @happymonster. Count your calories and make sure you don't go hungry.

I've always been quite confused about this. I've been doing HIIT post-weights for the past 2 months and I've definitely seen results. But some people recommend it before, some people recommend doing a set before and a set after weights, etc.

I never know how to count calories. How would I know my wholemeal bread is xcal while his white bread is ycal?!

It's not that difficult. Just write them down in a book or document.

I used to count my calories like mad, but I've kinda relaxed once I hit my target weight. Living off 1200 calories a day is enough to drive someone crazy.

I never know how to count calories. How would I know my wholemeal bread is xcal while his white bread is ycal?!

Actually I feel you don't have to be very mathematically specific in the count. Just do a general count. What is maybe more important is that the output is more than the input. There are some food that fill you up for a longer time so that you don't have to keep consuming food and hence increasing your calorie count.

There are guides on calorie count for various food items online.

Eating less is not necessarily bad for your metabolism as long as you space your meals out. You just need a constant supply of calories throughout the day. But yes skipping meals is not advisable.

I've always been quite confused about this. I've been doing HIIT post-weights for the past 2 months and I've definitely seen results. But some people recommend it before, some people recommend doing a set before and a set after weights, etc.

It's not that difficult. Just write them down in a book or document.

I used to count my calories like mad, but I've kinda relaxed once I hit my target weight. Living off 1200 calories a day is enough to drive someone crazy.

My personal take is that there seems to be no hard science to when to do HIT. I prefer doing it before weights though so that I can give in my all during the high intensity periods. :-)

• 1 month later...

u wake up w empty stomach in the morning. u need food but instead, u fast till 2pm , forcing ur body to burn storage fats as fuel.

why not wake up w empty stomach, go out for a run and then eat a sensible breakfast. at least u wont be so miserable and running will build ur stamina gradually.

u wake up w empty stomach in the morning. u need food but instead, u fast till 2pm , forcing ur body to burn storage fats as fuel.

why not wake up w empty stomach, go out for a run and then eat a sensible breakfast. at least u wont be so miserable and running will build ur stamina gradually.

Ya, excercising is the best way to slim down. :)

And instead of skipping breakdast, which is the most impt meal of the day, why not skip dinner?

I read an online article before, it is better to have an unhealthy breakfast than to have no breakfast.

I am usually not hungry during meal times but I still eat because some says must eat regularly else will get gastric. Because the stomach will secrete gastric acid at regular meal times that will burn our stomach if we don't have enough food for the acid to digest. 

Is that true?

Hanging out with fat people will get even fatter cause fat people will always buy food in excess and give you some when they cant eat finish. Hanging out with thin people and you can guess makes you thin cause they eat lesser so you have lesser view of food thus lesser cravings.

As a post script to my last posting about the guy who jogged 700 km, I would advise overly overweight people (110 kg & above but not tall) against frequent running.  This is because of the immense body weight straining the knee caps, leading to faster wear & tear.  Swimming is the best alternative as buoyancy in water will very much reduce knee stress...  Hence, I would advise highly overweight guys to jog only after their weight has been significantly reduced.  Swimming is still better.

if jogging must be done, than a better option is to jog in stadium with padded tracks or on a treadmill in gym. If like me, stadium is inconvience and not a gym bunny than invest in a good jogging shoe that have good support. This advice was given to me by my therapist for injured knees. Used to jog on pavement around my estate and used the free army jogging shoes.

Hanging out with fat people will get even fatter cause fat people will always buy food in excess and give you some when they cant eat finish. Hanging out with thin people and you can guess makes you thin cause they eat lesser so you have lesser view of food thus lesser cravings.

i think it's a misconception. I used to be skinny but ate quite a fair bit of tidbits. Also had a few rather skinny friends who can eat buffet like they haven't eaten in a long while. Lol

I'm thinking the opposite: the fat friends will finished all the food with little left for you. Therefore, you'll soon become skim. On the other hands, thin friends cannot eat much and offer you to help finishing the food --> you become fat. Lol

Agreed. Dated a chub. He will always order large quantity and then give me his leftover. Which i became fat too

Dunno why. Is already his greedy habit to have many in his plate. Then he is not stupid to put in his belly, but insist give to u

hey guys, is there a way to get the body to use/burn the stored fat?? instead of carbs?? im quite active in terms of regular exercise and swim but there is still 'fat' stored in parts of the body.. especially the back! any idea how id go about burning these? :o

From what i read, you should limit your daily carb intake so that when you exercise it burns fats instead of carbs.

From what i read, you should limit your daily carb intake so that when you exercise it burns fats instead of carbs.

supplement what Ratedg82 has mentioned

while you manipulate your macros and reduce your carb intake( while maintain intake of fruits and vege) increase your intake of healthy fats and protein. It is a bit like ketogenic diet,where u will get the body to burn fat as fuel instead of carb. If losing weight,is your goal, you,need to retain calorie diet deficit.

the downside of this diet I have experienced is that you get annoyed and moody easily. body become heaty. Remedy - drinks lots of water, occasionally consume some fresh lemon juice. after a week of that diet, do carb cycling IE carb day meal to retain some sanity into your system.

apart from diet , I would suggest you intensified your back exercise. some variety to shock and stimulate new muscle growth for your back. New muscle growth help burn the fat. Instead wide grip try do close grip. Body row , slamming hammer on to tyre, or dragging sandbag are some examples.different exercise as shown in fitness book/mag that you never try before is another suggestion.

if you hv not include compound movement into your weight lifting regime, then do consider to include it into your regime.the reason is quite explanatory if you check out in the net. If your body is an endomorph, include cardio after your weight lifting session. If you are ecto or meso no need to as it over stress the body.

Edited by Jekyll@hyde

Oh yes ive been reading about the keto diet aswell.. Infact ive actually started with intensive work out, reduced carb and separating my meals in five portions a day.. but true that i get moody and tired easily, due to work aswell. anyways hope to achieve my goal.. soon.. thanks @RatedG2 & @Jekyll  ^_^

I will share based on my own experience for the past 2-3years and something that I learnt recently.

I am a endomorph body type. Over the last 2-3years, I have learnt that it is important to know your body type and then apply what works for it. Such as HIIT as what many suggest and proposed that it is good for losing weights. It does. But somehow it does not work well for me or maybe not what I wanted.

When I was doing crossfit for met-con and lots of HIIT, I lose a fair bit of weight... I was 81kg...but I noticed something. I was getting smaller in built. After monitoring sometime on my body analysis I realized I was losing fats and muscles but more on muscles. From an initial lean muscle 39kg I was down to 33kg and body fats from 23kg to 22kg only. I did some research and realized both met-con and HIIT training will get your heart rate into anabolic zone (80-90% of your max heart rate) but at that zone, you body will burn your muscle as fuel instead of fats.

So I read up more and realized as endomorph, to lose fats we should concentrate more cardio on aerobic heart rate (50-70% of your max heart rate) and diet is very important. So I tried with this principle incorporate HIIT in my cardio workout (always keeping my heart rate @ aerobic heart rate zone and keeping my calories count, I lost 2kg of fats in over 1.5weeks while maintaining my lean muscle mass.

2-3yrs ago I was 105kg with a waistline of 39. Now 87kg with a waistline of 33 (and if I want to I can squeeze into a 32inch jeans or pants) with a body fats % of 21%. The 87kg is made up of 39.9kg of lean muscle mass, 18.5kg of fats and remaining are water, minerals and etc. If to aim for healthy bf% of 15%, I just need to lose another 6.5kg of fats. So even losing that 6.5kg of fats, I will still be about 80kg. Seems heavy for someone with 173cm. But I know I would be in my best shape ever as a 43yo guy with a possible 32inch waistline.

As what my PT says, I am like a body builder, who needs to go into cutting phase to see all the muscles that I already have.

So don't just look at how heavy you weigh. It does not says everything about what you are made of. Find out more and find the right action plans for your body. What works for others may not necessarily works for you.

So read up more, research more and best of all try them out. It is a lot of trial and error but if u are serious enough to be in the best shape or be fit or to lose weight (fats to be exact), you will find THE way that works for you and your body.

Hope my little sharing helps and inspired some of you.

Am here for sincere friends... 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.