Male HQ

Singapore Gay Men Known As Prawn?

Guest DK

Guest imseeker

李敖大师曾经评论说:"新加坡人人种不好,很差"

= Taiwan writer/politician Li Ao once said: "Singaporeans are of ill stock and are stupid".

(What has this got to do with the topic, I really don't know. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I googled and found this link:

"Li Ao claimed that because Singapore has “perfectly” practiced the Chinese legalist school politics ideal, this therefore creates a Singaporean society that subscribes to the “collective creation achievement”, which he argues, does not permit anyone to “stands out” in character. He goes futher to explain how the social system has conditioned Singaporeans to “toe the line”, and dare never go beyond to think “out of the box”. This in essence is why he perceives that the so-called “ideal Singaporean” is actually amounting to “stupidity”."

李敖大师曾经评论说:"新加坡人人种不好,很差"

= Taiwan writer/politician Li Ao once said: "Singaporeans are of ill stock and are stupid".

(What has this got to do with the topic, I really don't know. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I googled and found this link:

"Li Ao claimed that because Singapore has “perfectly” practiced the Chinese legalist school politics ideal, this therefore creates a Singaporean society that subscribes to the “collective creation achievement”, which he argues, does not permit anyone to “stands out” in character. He goes futher to explain how the social system has conditioned Singaporeans to “toe the line”, and dare never go beyond to think “out of the box”. This in essence is why he perceives that the so-called “ideal Singaporean” is actually amounting to “stupidity”."

Should we care? Should we allow the comment of one politician/writer bother us? I think not. He is free to air his own views. Do his comments make us any stupider/uglier? I think the answer for all these questions are : No.

So, why should we care? You see, sometimes, there are writers who just want to stir shit. They WANT a reaction. Do not give them the pleasure in giving them wot they want. Just shrug, laugh it off and move on.

Be practical about it, you can rant, rave, and whinge till the cows come home. But it will solve/address nothing. The best thing to do is just ignore.

Edited by PaterTenebrarum

everyone seems to have their own reality, reality of what they think, believe and should be.

before criticizing others, how many people did really have a look at their appearance, body etc?

petty-minded people cant see & never realized their own ignorance, but proud of it.

Guest guest

I am always curious why those people who are the first to condemn other people's looks never dare to show their real faces on their profiles.

I think the operative noun for such people is "hypocrite".

Hmmm...conversely, are u saying that those who dare show their faces and profile can then earn the right to condemn?

Hmmm...conversely, are u saying that those who dare show their faces and profile can then earn the right to condemn?

As any intelligent reader of my original statements should be able to tell, I said nothing about the right to condemn anyone. I was wondering why those who didn't have the guts to show their faces always condemned others so freely, and wondering if that particular operative word applied to them.

As a former English teacher in Singapore, I try my best to say exactly what I mean. I don't always succeed because occasionally, I know I can tax limited cerebral capacities overmuch, but I try.

Edited by xiandarkthorne

Old and experienced but always ready for naughty fun! 

Guest david

It's so easy to criticise n condemn others, what better a whole nation.

These people need to put others down to make themselves look better!!

We dun need to see the pictures of these people. From the negativity they are sending out, we all know that they are very insecure.

The things they say,only reflects their bad personality n character.

So no matter how these people look does not matter at all.

They have already proven how UGLY they are from the inside.

It's so easy to criticise n condemn others, what better a whole nation.

These people need to put others down to make themselves look better!!

We dun need to see the pictures of these people. From the negativity they are sending out, we all know that they are very insecure.

The things they say,only reflects their bad personality n character.

So no matter how these people look does not matter at all.

They have already proven how UGLY they are from the inside.

I agree 100%

Old and experienced but always ready for naughty fun! 

Guest Guest

Spirituality? Im an atheist. So what does that make me? Ugly as sin or a gorgeous adonis? :D

I'm sure you guys are mature enuff to know that this stupid "prawn" notion is totally unfounded. They are just sweeping generalisations. I shall repeat the old cliche, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Come on, men, I think we know better than to let such idiocy to get to us.

If you think people from other countries spout off such things, let them. They can say what they want, we cant stop them.

But I think we should know better than to get all worked up over this tiny tempest in a thimble.

I guess there's some misunderstanding. I should have put it this way - 'The Face is Born of The Heart'.

I am a Sporean but I tend to agree with that Taiwanese are better looking than us.

I did some observations over the wknd and I saw a lot of 'prawns'. It's sad but true :(

Guest Frolic

I guess there's some misunderstanding. I should have put it this way - 'The Face is Born of The Heart'.

I am a Sporean but I tend to agree with that Taiwanese are better looking than us.

I did some observations over the wknd and I saw a lot of 'prawns'. It's sad but true :(

Singaporeans are not only not as goodlooking, but also selfish and selfcntered.

Its how Singaporeans are being brought up. No culture, no values. Only money faced.

Guest dudewhostolemycart!

We should all know by now that popular cliche suggests that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It really is true. I find that there are plenty of good looking Singaporean men no matter where I am; on the bus in the morning to work, at the pool, in the pubs, strolling by the beach, cycling, peeing in the loo...the list goes on and on just as my heart does! So many drop dead gorgeous men in executive wear, casuals, sports gear per millisecond appearing in my line of sight. I am standing up for Singapore (Men) everyday! Precum inclusive!

Guest sushibomb

We should all know by now that popular cliche suggests that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It really is true. I find that there are plenty of good looking Singaporean men no matter where I am; on the bus in the morning to work, at the pool, in the pubs, strolling by the beach, cycling, peeing in the loo...the list goes on and on just as my heart does! So many drop dead gorgeous men in executive wear, casuals, sports gear per millisecond appearing in my line of sight. I am standing up for Singapore (Men) everyday! Precum inclusive!

May be there is good looking somewhere but not "plenty(!).

That's overestimated and a little embarrassing.

Guest Guest

May be there is good looking somewhere but not "plenty(!).

That's overestimated and a little embarrassing.

True. Was in chinastown yesterday. The cute ones r from china & korea. On the way, saw a cute man with his gal, also from china.

Just came back from NTUC, saw one tall handsome bear, also not local(from his accent).

Where have all the glking spore men gone to? :(

Guest be a happier prawn

True. Was in chinastown yesterday. The cute ones r from china & korea. On the way, saw a cute man with his gal, also from china.

Just came back from NTUC, saw one tall handsome bear, also not local(from his accent).

Where have all the glking spore men gone to? :(

They go nowhere because of the lack of existance of the gooklooking ones in SG!

Guest Guest

They go nowhere because of the lack of existance of the gooklooking ones in SG!

I hope the garment would allow us to use Medisave for Plastic Surgery. hehe....

Guest SGCrab

I am Singaporean, I also think there are many good looking Singpaorean around.

I think the proportion of goodlooking Singaporean is comparable to many chinese majority country.

To say that Singpaore are selfish, self centred, I have many selfish and self centred foreign colleague as well, and they have to learn more about humility and respect people of different culture.

Guest Guest

I am Singaporean, I also think there are many good looking Singpaorean around.

I think the proportion of goodlooking Singaporean is comparable to many chinese majority country.

To say that Singpaore are selfish, self centred, I have many selfish and self centred foreign colleague as well, and they have to learn more about humility and respect people of different culture.

Where? Pls share.

I alo think the definition of 'goodlooking Singaporean' differs from ppl to ppl.

My friends & I do have different standards. I think stocky mature bear are manly & sexy. He thinks they are over-the-hill.

He prefers young twinks with slim body, fair skin & cute face . I think they are a bit too femme.

I have a friend who is handsome. He also get complimented by the locals as well as the foreigners(Aussie, Americans, Japs, Korean, Chinese, Indians, Malays, etc). I think this is the standard I am talking about.

Guest SGCrab

Where? Pls share.

I alo think the definition of 'goodlooking Singaporean' differs from ppl to ppl.

My friends & I do have different standards. I think stocky mature bear are manly & sexy. He thinks they are over-the-hill.

He prefers young twinks with slim body, fair skin & cute face . I think they are a bit too femme.

I have a friend who is handsome. He also get complimented by the locals as well as the foreigners(Aussie, Americans, Japs, Korean, Chinese, Indians, Malays, etc). I think this is the standard I am talking about.

Where? I think they are everywhere, especially the younger generation.

Indeed, definition of "goodlooking" varies from ppl to ppl.

Now that we are talking about prawn, which means you cannot find handsome or goodlooking Singaporean guy, lets just focus on the face.

I think mediacorp is partly to be blamed for creating the impression that there are no goodlooking singaporean guy.

Somehow, Singapore is a strange place. The goodlooking ones seldom join beauty peageant.

Guest Commenter

southeast asians be it Chinese Malays Indians Indonesians Thais Burmese Vietnamese laotians; I have seen below, avg and good looking breeds. Let's be fair, I have seen ugly and hot Taiwanese, fit, slim, fat, etc.

Have you ever since the Typical Korean males, those native looking, pre-surgery features of theirs? They have melon seed eyes (not those Kwon sang woo nor jang hyuk types), flat nose etc. I personally felt that they rank the last few in asia. No offence

Guest SGCrab

southeast asians be it Chinese Malays Indians Indonesians Thais Burmese Vietnamese laotians; I have seen below, avg and good looking breeds. Let's be fair, I have seen ugly and hot Taiwanese, fit, slim, fat, etc.

Have you ever since the Typical Korean males, those native looking, pre-surgery features of theirs? They have melon seed eyes (not those Kwon sang woo nor jang hyuk types), flat nose etc. I personally felt that they rank the last few in asia. No offence

Well said .... wonder why this thread suddenly become so quiet.

Guest Guest

I do agree with commenter. It's fair to talk about the different levels of looks. And I think it's all about our cup of tea. I have Taiwan frens, they are very average looking.next to my company there's this Korean firm, their Korean men working there are rather not visually appealing and worse of all they have no sense of hygiene. Happen to see them always after their big or small business they don't wash their hands and just open the door and walkout. Don't even dare to touch the toilet's door knob after they grabbed it....

• 4 months later...

整體的素質還可以的,但個體的素質還有待改進。

Back to the discussion of Spore men being prawns, the topic itself is controversial, but since it is accepted as a thread for discussion, forumers should accept the diversity of views and exchanges. Of course, that should not be equated to calling names, insinuating profanities and making personal remarks. Yes, I am referring to the crustacean that uses the F word.

是呀,個體的素質還有待改進,因為有你这种下等貨,滚吧,臭要饭的

Guest curious

It's true. Walk around Catuchak market in BKK, and compare that with walking around IKEA/GIANT/QUEENSWAY all at one go, and I can find 5x more good looking thai vendors than I can local ones. It's pathetic in Singapore.

i've been misunderstood to be from China or Taiwan while I'm at Shanghai... China due to my looks and Taiwan mainly due to the way I speak Mandarin.. i mean whatever those mean, at least they don't think i'm a prawn LOL just kidding but um, really, who cares what other people think of you.

anigif_enhanced-5397-1408658439-1.gif

It's true. Walk around Catuchak market in BKK, and compare that with walking around IKEA/GIANT/QUEENSWAY all at one go, and I can find 5x more good looking thai vendors than I can local ones. It's pathetic in Singapore.

I did that 2 in BKK. My eyes are all over. very HOT walking inside & even hotter with all these eye candies to enjoy!

YUMMY. In Singapore, very few. The better looking ones are those from China & the region(pinoy). Last Sunday, met cute ang moh at Tiong Bahru asking for direction. Too bad, he's with his white gal ;(

How come our country very few goodlooking ones ha? Is it the food, or just our karma?

OK. I am gonna say something here.

Well guys, there is the good news, and the bad news.

The bad news is, yes, we are mocked and labelled as Prawns.

But the good news this? This name calling mockery did not originated from the Taiwanese. It started by the guys in Hong Kong.

I confirmed with some of my Taiwanese friends and two of my Singaporean friends who are working in Taipei, of who started this name calling.

Hope this will extinguish the heat here, or if not, clarify some misunderstandings.

But if I were you guys, I will least be bothered by such idiotic generalization

Guest seafood

I am reading the latest 8Days magazine this morning and saw the winners of the "8Days Shirtless Guy" contest. Phew --- got to confirm one thing - they are PRAWNS !

Guest shenderz

Physical beauty, like intelligence and wealth, obey the bell curve.

In other words, you can take any trait and use it to rank everyone. It will turn out that most people are just average looking and few people are good looking and 0.01% are gorgeous and 0.0000001% are those supermodels and celebs.

By virtue of the fact that Singapore has a small population, it will have the smaller gay population and thus fewer good looking gays.

Guest Passingthru
How come our country very few goodlooking ones ha? Is it the food, or just our karma?

Theoretical reasons:

- Original stock. The "dregs of society" who couldn't make it back in China or other migratory origins landed in S'pore for the fighting chance it gave them to start afresh. This concentration of society's "rejects" makes it a numbers game, ie, the general demographics. But "dregs" doesn't mean ugly, right? True, but as a general rule, outward manifestations are nature's way of reflecting what may lie inside. The resulting rejection by another party is part of natural selection and a means to isolate poor genes thereby preventing their propagation. Engineered society, however, has other ideas....which brings us to the next point.......

- Engineering. Humans have overcome natural barriers to a point whereby one could practically do anything and have anything one desires. As such, humans who normally should never have survived, not only did but went on to breed. Some survived due to good genetics despite how they looked outwardly but most did simply because modern contrivances enable and keep enabling more and better. Speaking of contrivances........

- Arranged marriages. Unnatural alliances are formed due to the drive to survive, preserve and prosper. Hence, "ugly" people who have the financial means get to breed. Clan and societal ties are maintained by arranged marriages. Worse still, in-breeding - cousins marrying so as to contain their wealth within the family. Thus, poor genetics is further exacerbated with this deliberate shrinking of the gene pool.

- Wellness......in terms of the right physical requirements( nutrition, exercise, environment and early intervention/corrections ) were, for various reasons, not implemented.

So is there hope? Of course! With enlightenment, each progressive generation is producing better looking members. It just takes time to clear out the "ugly" ones. The progress is further hampered by an engineered society like S'pore whereby people are still getting married for all the wrong reasons.....mainly practical ones.

With enlightenment, each progressive generation is producing better looking members. It just takes time to clear out the "ugly" ones. The progress is further hampered by an engineered society like S'pore whereby people are still getting married for all the wrong reasons.....mainly practical ones.

So eventually the "prawns" in Singapore will be eradicated leaving the good looking ones behind? :(

Physical beauty, like intelligence and wealth, obey the bell curve.

In other words, you can take any trait and use it to rank everyone. It will turn out that most people are just average looking and few people are good looking and 0.01% are gorgeous and 0.0000001% are those supermodels and celebs.

By virtue of the fact that Singapore has a small population, it will have the smaller gay population and thus fewer good looking gays.

interesting point. by that theory, it's also of little wonder why the Singapore gay community is so "limited"; as in comparing to bigger countries, you don't get as many twinks, as many bears, as many -whatevers-, simply because the "sample size" is way smaller... this is a sign for me to migrate hahahahaa kiddding

anigif_enhanced-5397-1408658439-1.gif

Guest shenderz

interesting point. by that theory, it's also of little wonder why the Singapore gay community is so "limited"; as in comparing to bigger countries, you don't get as many twinks, as many bears, as many -whatevers-, simply because the "sample size" is way smaller... this is a sign for me to migrate hahahahaa kiddding

This is not just a theory but also fact of life.

If 1% of men are gay, it means that the Chinese gay population is about that of Singapore's entire population.

Sweeping statement Number 1 -- Most Singaporeans in saunas are hunting and very objective. they know who they want and no time to say hi to any other. It's all business...

Sweeping Statement Number 2 -- Those who think they look good are looking for those who can in their eyes be equal or better... they also do not have time for lesser brings in there... and to them, all others are leapers and they RECOIL at the slightest touch by lesser bodies... in case they get affected and look as bad as the person who touched them...

Sweeping Statement Number 3 -- Those who are very horny and very very deprived will see a target, and leech on no matter what, and does not know when a friendly tap on them to signal NO... it means NO i don't want to play with YOU... until they are punched in the face...

Sweeping Statement Number 4 -- most Singaporeans and some foreigners know nothing about social etiquette, and do not understand the notion of 'NO' in their face when expressed vocally.. face it - in the dark, we cannot see your telepathic eyes la... especially if they moved to the top of your head in the sauna... and are just downright RUDE by ignoring you, fliching like you are a leaper touching them, or shamelessly leech on and insist to play when being pushed away gently, tapped gently to go away and finally only getting the message when slapped and shoved hard or in some cases, PUNCHED in the face or ELBOWED violently... :)

of course there are exceptions which make the experience so memorable and fun... but got to endure a lot of aloof and 'shy' (bullshit - go sauna shy) and other types... simple "no thanks' in english and mandarin and hokkien should work in most cases... open golden mouth to say la... no one will shove a dick to surprise you la...

And the saddest part to it is we eventually become accustomed to the ugliness, and recalibrate our standards, so that what we might term as gorgeous here in Singapore,we'd probably not even give a second look in Bangkok. Just go to their major shopping complexes like Siam Paragon or Siam Discovery. I swear that every floor has got either a shopper or sales assistant who is deserving to take over any of our A & F models (based on the concept of beauty in our magazines and ads)!

And take a look at their variety show hosts - they make our Mediacorp actors look like they're c-grade actors in the looks department. No wonder Bangkok is such a favoured destination for Singapore gays!

Guest shenderz

One comforting thought or a disgusting one, depending on how you look at it, is that everyone, no matter how gorgeous or ugly, will grow old. When one grows old, no one cares how good looking you were before.

Guest sushibomb

One comforting thought or a disgusting one, depending on how you look at it, is that everyone, no matter how gorgeous or ugly, will grow old. When one grows old, no one cares how good looking you were before.

No matter how old you are, you still can have a good look or charm which still attract people around you.

And the saddest part to it is we eventually become accustomed to the ugliness, and recalibrate our standards, so that what we might term as gorgeous here in Singapore,we'd probably not even give a second look in Bangkok. Just go to their major shopping complexes like Siam Paragon or Siam Discovery. I swear that every floor has got either a shopper or sales assistant who is deserving to take over any of our A & F models (based on the concept of beauty in our magazines and ads)!

And take a look at their variety show hosts - they make our Mediacorp actors look like they're c-grade actors in the looks department. No wonder Bangkok is such a favoured destination for Singapore gays!

Yup, that;'s true. Not forgetting the cute Pinoys on Cable TV.So Delectable!

I think it's time for Singaporean to work on social grace & etiquette, read & travel widely, develop good fashion sense, etc.

Perhaps these may help make us more charming & interesting.

Guest Nobodyz

I have been to Taiwan early this year and wow.. there are lots of good looking men there.. That being said, Singapore does have good looking men too.. just lower quantity..

I thought most Singaporeans r boyish looking? I seldom see prawns except e matured ones. Maybe e young prawns hide themselves in gym or sauna I dunno

The 'prawn' idea is never mentioned in HK. Because those Cantonese guys are so handsome. It takes your breath away to walk around HK and see those beautiful male faces. 'Finely-chiselled features' and creamy-golden complexion. Get on the Star Ferry and sit down. There will be a Cantonese guy sitting near you who makes your heart miss beat. If he is chatting to a companion you will fall in love just watching his bright, animated face. Ten minutes later you will get off the Ferry together - slip behind him to see how he walks from behind, admire his beautiful straight shoulders and cute ass - then you will never see him again. So sad! :-(

The 'prawn' idea is never mentioned in HK. Because those Cantonese guys are so handsome. It takes your breath away to walk around HK and see those beautiful male faces. 'Finely-chiselled features' and creamy-golden complexion. Get on the Star Ferry and sit down. There will be a Cantonese guy sitting near you who makes your heart miss beat. If he is chatting to a companion you will fall in love just watching his bright, animated face. Ten minutes later you will get off the Ferry together - slip behind him to see how he walks from behind, admire his beautiful straight shoulders and cute ass - then you will never see him again. So sad! :-(

Try doing that in Spore, go on the bus, sit in the train, go to the mall. Very difficult to get your heart beat faster :(

Even the straight, married men also quite disappointing.

Hong Kong & Taiwan have the cuttest men in the region. Some are fair & rosy, with thick eyebrows and handsome features. Others are rugged, tanned & manly. In Spore, difficult to find such breed :((

Like what some of the forumers posted, I believe it's the sampling rate. Being in a nation with lesser population, proportionately, we will definitely have lesser good looking people.

By having 'prawns' in our society is better than having 'jellyfish', IMO.

"Well, I didn't know it would come to this but that's what happens when you're on your own."

Try doing that in Spore, go on the bus, sit in the train, go to the mall. Very difficult to get your heart beat faster :( Even the straight, married men also quite disappointing. Hong Kong & Taiwan have the cuttest men in the region. Some are fair & rosy, with thick eyebrows and handsome features. Others are rugged, tanned & manly. In Spore, difficult to find such breed :((

So do we need foreign talents from Taiwan and HK to improve the quality of guys in Singapore? :(

I hv been to the gay clubs in Kl. So many handsome chinese guys there n they r all locals. Only their bodies not up to standard but who cares with faces like that.

The ya ya papaya ones with nice bodies r sporeans. U can tell they r sporeans from their ugly 'hard' faces.

I hv been to the gay clubs in Kl. So many handsome chinese guys there n they r all locals. Only their bodies not up to standard but who cares with faces like that.

The ya ya papaya ones with nice bodies r sporeans. U can tell they r sporeans from their ugly 'hard' faces.

That reminds me of a trip to kl 15 yrs ago. Went to this BlueBoy bar early at 10pm on a sat, was cornered by 3 guys - 1 handsome chinese, 1 stocky indian & 1cute malay. Wow, how to choose! But I like M'sian for their unpretentiousness, simple & nice. Yes, most do not have a gym-toned body. But I am very comfortable just being with them.