Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

You've got the facts wrong , that's why you think it's a stupid event .

Some of the bw members did meet up last year , probably gonna have one this year also . Come join us , it'll be fun !

What is pink dot? The freedom to love.

Why to love needs freedom?

Bcas we are despised by society, by family members and friends.

I grew up in the 1970s. For a guy to wear earrings, its shameful. Not to mention holdings hands or kissings.

Being found out by our parents, mostly mean we will be chased out from our family, a disgrace. Parents will disown us. Shameful to our relatives.

Its like eternal condemnation. Kena called Chao ah gua. Bapok.all these names.

30 years later, we are slowly being accepted in the society but many still despise us. Whether in work or friends or classmates.

So what is pink dot? U tell me.

I grew up in the 1970s. For a guy to wear earrings, its shameful. Not to mention holdings hands or kissings.

Being found out by our parents, mostly mean we will be chased out from our family, a disgrace. Parents will disown us. Shameful to our relatives.

30 years later, we are slowly being accepted in the society but many still despise us. Whether in work or friends or classmates.

It's raising awareness, advocating equal rights, promoting tolerance.

It's called progress.

And if you can't even acknowledge that as a society progress has been made, then there's no point in debating the meaningfulness of Pink Dot with you.

I will admit, though, that I belong to the group of discreets who do not take part in this event.  I know that there are many heterosexual folks attending the event as well, but I'm guessing most of them are clearly perceived as heterosexuals to begin with.  For some of us, although very straight-acting and don't frequent the scene, we've still been, at one time or another, subjected to "possibly gays" talks due to the absence of having girlfriends, so going to such events would only raise greater "suspicions'.  Does that make me a coward, probably.  But then that's not the point of the topic.  The point is that, while people like me don't attend due to "selfish" reasons, it's certainly not for a lack of appreciation of the event.  In fact, i thank those who go out to take a stand and make a point.  And it's exactly with them helping to shift societal opinions, that one day I may actually feel "free" to attend...or better yet, there may no longer be a need to have Pink Dot.

:)

And so why is it wrong to spread love in our society . It isn't an event to tell people to support gay rights , it isn't an event to tell people that LGBTs require any special needs . It's literally an event to promote the equality to love .

So you're saying what happened in your time back then is acceptable and 'normal' and you'd rather see the world in that light ? I'm sorry to burst your bubble but the world is evolving and people are getting smarter and wiser . You might think you're happy but there are so many younger generations of LGBT youths and face such things even as we speak , and events like LGBT help shed light that they can be who they are without feeling shame .

Everything takes time . There were so many examples before this , so I don't see your point there . And even if these so called 'friends' and classmates hate us , why do you need to bother with how they feel ? Why are you so concern with how other people feel about you .

We here have so much more love , acceptance and compassion . All you've been doing is contradicting yourself and see this in a negative light . You can be closeted , you can hate yourself for being gay , you can despise the way you are - but it doesn't mean the whole world has to live by your standards . Some people are actually proud of their sexuality , some people don't actually wish they were straight , some people actually love helping other people feel safe .

Pink Dot 2014..

I met some female students of mine on the way to the park.

They are definitely your typical A-Lian type with Ah-Bengs boyfriend.

It was quite a "revealing" moment but at least, I know from the faces and behaviour after the event, they didn't "look down" at me.

In fact, they were showing off the pink torch in class!

Really, we don't force others to accept us..they will if they see the "good" about us.

Do your part to let our loved ones love us...

Slowly but surely, we can overcome the social prejudice ..

Guest Guest

Must be prepared to "out" yourself if happen to or accidentally meet colleagues, friends and old classmates etc. at the PD event? Am sure people are also taking chance to look for bf/life partners rite?

If they are using Pink Dot to look for love, go for it.

Must be prepared to "out" yourself if happen to or accidentally meet colleagues, friends and old classmates etc. at the PD event? Am sure people are also taking chance to look for bf/life partners rite?

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

So an event that shuns prejudice and promotes tolerance in your own community is stupid because fuck logic, right?

What is Pink Dot? It's an event meant for people like you bordering on bigotry to see past your own narrow mind to accept people for who they are, instead of whom they love. Unlike yourself, there are people volunteering their time and effort to do good for their own community, and the least you could do is to not condescend their sacrifice with your inane logic.

I mean, it is ironic how you went on a tirade on the yesteryears, ranting about how you faced intolerance, citing the need for freedom to love, and then attack Pink Dot for being "stupid". No offense, but it makes you look especially retarded.

We have come a long way. Our youths today see greater tolerance and possess no fear coming out to their peers due in no small part to the work of many striving for LGBT freedom; striving for our freedom. The work of today is the history of tomorrow, and we are its makers.

Why am I attending Pink Dot? Because I support the freedom to love, and I take it up upon myself to effect a better future for the generation of tomorrow. Next time, at least think of this before you decide to act in contumelious disregard, yes?

Thanks Bern.

Instagram | @sodamnsonni

Twitter | @sosonni

• 4 weeks later...

I read on the official webpage that foreigner who isn't PR can't join the dot formation at pinkdot?

And my friends and I are worried would we get fined or heavy penalty for participating in a 'demonstration' ?

Because some of us are very pale.... I meant white.

Help! Any clarification would be awesome

Guest 72%dark

The whole Pink Dot event has a few items on the program: in past years the formation of the dot is preceded by performances and speeches (then after the dot is formed there may be a bit of a 'party' but many people leave quite soon after the dot is formed). Non-Singaporeans are allowed and welcome to attend all of the portions of the program except for the formation of the dot. The emcees guide the crowd so you won't be caught unawares when the time comes. If you're a foreigner you'll be prompted at the appropriate time to just step out into the surrounding area outside Hong Lim Park where you can still observe.

I don't think an individual needs to fear being 'caught' or fined or whatever – for one it's impractical to 'check' individuals in such a large crowd. I think the bigger concern is simply that organizers and supporters would want the event to be as lawful as possible and seen as such (among other reasons because "assemblies" are still a touchy issue in Singapore).

Foreigners can join the initial Carnival and Festive Shows initially. But at the moment of forming the PinkDot, they have to step aside. Let me quote from the Pinkdot website :http://pinkdot.sg/about-pink-dot/faq-for-foreign-participation/

About foreign participation

Q: I have read online that only Singapore citizens and Permanent Residents are allowed to participate, is that true?

A: Hong Lim Park is an area that has been designated by the Singapore government to be the venue for the Speakers Corner, the only venue in Singapore in which people can demonstrate, hold exhibitions and speak freely on most topics. The Speakers Corner, however, is still governed by a set of rules and regulations.

Under the administrative categories listed within the terms and conditions of usage for the Speakers Corner, the formation of the human pink dot is classified as a ‘demonstration’. As such, venue rules stipulate:

“Only citizens and permanent residents of Singapore take part in the demonstration and the organiser must not allow any person who is neither a citizen nor a permanent resident of Singapore to take part in the demonstration”.

As such, organisers of PinkDot are unable to allow non-Singaporeans and non-Permanent Residents to be within the dot formation when time comes for it. They are, however, invited to watch the formation from a designated observation area. Nonetheless, as Hong Lim Park is a public space, everyone including foreigners are free to come for a picnic and enjoy the concert.

Q: But it doesn’t seem like foreigners were just “watching and observing” based on what I have seen from the YouTube videos and pictures last year. Why is that so?

A: Citizenship and permanent residency can transcend race, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation. We would like to think that Singapore is truly a multi-racial and multi-cultural society – including its own fair share of other racial groups. Let us not try to make local-versus-foreigner assumptions simply based on appearances.

Q: Can the organisers try to ask for allowance from the park so that foreigners are able to participate just for a few minutes? The freedom to love should be extended to foreigners living in Singapore too!

A: We would very much like to do that because we do think it’s a really great idea. However, we also appreciate that a situation like this is very complex, and many factors will have to be taken into account.

That said, we are continuing to work with relevant authorities to work out a viable solution – however, as with many social movements past and present, it may take a while for our efforts to bear fruit. Nonetheless, we take this very seriously and value all your support. To give a little background to our current situation, you may wish to read these insightful pieces:

1. A Pink Dot in a Sea of Rights Abuses

2. Freedom of Assembly and Pink Dot

In addition, while we welcome efforts to champion the freedom of public assembly, PinkDot sees its contribution to Singapore primarily as a movement focused on championing the cause of inclusiveness and diversity through celebrating the freedom to love, regardless of sexual orientation.

We hope that our foreign supporters understand our position on this, and continue to support us in other ways in order to further spread our message of equality and inclusivity to their own communities.

Guest Glyph

pinkdot2015_13Jun.jpg

We're less than a week away to Pink Dot, and like the previous year, we're having a BW get-together. Is it your first time there? Or are you contemplating because you can't find someone to go with? Join us! You could make new friends, and who knows, you may even meet that special one.

RSVP now on the calendar. If we hit ≥ 15, we're all set to go!

http:///forum/index.php?/calendar/event/-bw-gathering-pink-dot-2015/

Psst, if you want to remain anonymous (not revealing your BW ID), drop me a PM / email me at ouro.boros@hotmail.com

If you're coming down to Pink Dot on Saturday afternoon, do remember to drop by our Oogachaga booth at the Community Tent & pick up some FREE tissue packs for you & your friends!

7095_896283827088664_6814264273264240345

OogachagaCARE is an online counselling service by Oogachaga for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ+) community. You can also reach us at:

However, if you need to talk to someone urgently because you're in emotional crisis, feeling suicidal or affected by suicide, please consider:

Samaritans of Singapore (SOS) 24hr suicide prevention hotline: 1-767 (1-SOS)

Oogachaga is a community-based, non-profit professional organization working with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ+) individuals, couples and families in Singapore since 1999. Visit us on www.oogachaga.LGBT / www.congregaytion.com

Guest Glyph

I'm thinking of going but it's my first time and I don't know anyone XP

It's not my first time at Pink Dot, but it's going to be my first time meeting those who are attending this gathering too! Should be okay one bah..

To those who have decided to join us, please RSVP at the calendar so I can coordinate the meeting point!

Contact Glyph please..I m currently hospitalised for .......might take some time to recover...

Nothing serious though ...

Wah Do take care yah! :D 

Cooking is my passion. Music is my life. Reading is my sanity. 

Bitching about you keeps me happy. 

"People fear because of a lack of understanding, and a lack of understanding comes from a lack of proper communication on both parties, so to resolve fear we need to first resolve communication"

Wish I could be able to join y'all but I'll be on duty there! Hope to bump into all of you! :D

Guest Glyph

Contact Glyph please..I m currently hospitalised for .......might take some time to recover...

Nothing serious though ...

!!! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Whats there to do at pinkdot?

Just a day out with family a/o friends, spending some time catching up. And of course, to give our support as part of the LGBT community. (I think you can expect quite a few eye candies along the way... just saying)

This is the first time I will be going to pink dot with a friend. Just got dumped a few days ago and thankfully there is pink dot to feel some love once again. Hoping to meet more people but I am not sure is the atmosphere there friendly for meeting people or are we as hostile as like usual times?

This is the first time I will be going to pink dot with a friend. Just got dumped a few days ago and thankfully there is pink dot to feel some love once again. Hoping to meet more people but I am not sure is the atmosphere there friendly for meeting people or are we as hostile as like usual times?

For people going for the first time, you can contact Glyph who is leading the gathering for BW members - http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=64433

Join the official BW Telegram Group Chat: https://bit.ly/frmbw

I hope you're feeling better . The atmosphere and vibe at Pink Dot is always so fun and inviting and filled with smiles ; so be open and have fun , enjoy yourself and just relax yeah ? (:

1. Thanks Glyph for organising this PinkDot outing tomorrow (13 June 2015).

This small outing is for BW readers who :

• alone and needs company to go with
  • virgin trip to PinkDot and prefer going with some "old bird" to show you the ropes
2. We do NOT expect the group to be big, so there should be ample time to make conversation and mix.

3. Click on "I'm Attending" at http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&section=view&do=showevent&event_id=177

or send Glyph an Email/PM.

4. For BW readers who are going in your own groups, do watch out for them at HongLimPark tomorrow and go up to say Hello !

Have fun and Support the Freedom to Love !

pinkdot2015.png

1. There are a few prominent folks in the BW group.

Look up for them. Or send Glyph a PM so he can contact you that day on the grounds.

2. I am sure they will update their location in the status at BW in REAL-TIME

Check the website that day.

3. For members and Guests who are are hesitating or alone and need company to go PinkDot tomorrow, sign up and go with the BW group, http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&section=view&do=showevent&event_id=177

Cheers !

PS: We do NOT having any signage

Guest Glyph

I've sent out the details for tomorrow's gathering via PM to all who have RSVP-ed on the calendar or have contacted me directly. If you did not receive it (just in case), please drop me a PM. For those who are still deciding, just let me know through PM if you'd like to join us.

Sent Glyph direct email. He has yet to reply. Any alternative person that i can email?

My apologies. I've sent you the details. Please check your PM inbox.

See you guys at Pink Dot tomorrow! +)

Guest Thinking

I am quite puzzling realising there is no news about pink dot 2015 at all at yahoo!!

Yahoo.sg has been the one covering most of gay news around the world and now it mutes completely on the biggest local gay scene.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

Guest Glyph

We're situated at the left side of the stage, near the number 4 pink balloon. For those who didn't manage to catch us at the meeting point, please navi your way here!

To the rest, drop by and say hi whenever! +)

Guest Thinking

That 1 news is there but it seems not linked to yahoo main page. So how you suppose to read it unless you search in google?

See later if yahoo will provide the updates or not.

Guest bigotted

Not only Yahoo. A certain radio station did a coverage on baby show at expo, some churches have their own outings and picnics and certain mosques and muslim community groups have prayers and gatherings for the upcoming fasting month...

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.