Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

Guest Guest

such events are waste of time, going there to stand n pose and wait  n wait for???

more like trying to see who n who there, look at guys n hope to find a fuk

what can this event justify?? no one cares...only ppl who are into such things care.

my frens texted me happy pink dot day...i m like ??? whats so happy w it? u guys self wank self orgasm ok lor.

such events are waste of time, going there to stand n pose and wait n wait for???

what can this event justify?? no one cares...only ppl who are into such things care.

my frens texted me happy pink dot day...i m like ??? whats so happy w it? u guys self wank self orgasm ok lor.

This is called raising awareness. Hoping for changes to take place for a better acceptance for the LGBT community, for equal rights and things like that.

If you didn't realize, you don't have the same rights as straight people. If everybody thought like you, we would be all still living in our tiny closets and not being able to be ourselves in public.

Yes there are people who don't care. Oh well, we don't care about them either.

We don't gather just for the fun of forming a giant pink dot, hang out with friends and family. There is a message behind this. And yes, a lot were not listening to the speeches but at least they were there to support the movement.

The crowd is completely different from the usual gay parties, club or bar scenes. Lots of families, straight couples, older uncles and aunties, kids, etc.

Guest Guest

such events are waste of time, going there to stand n pose and wait  n wait for???

You sound like a bittergourd with a cucumber ass plug every night, day time no one to love, night time no one to fuck you... sad.

Guest Guest

You sound like a bittergourd with a cucumber ass plug every night, day time no one to love, night time no one to fuck you... sad.

if i need love, i will attend such events to get attention.

A great event n i am glad tht i am part of the pink dot formation. But one thing note is pls do not arrange speech during the formation, cos nearly die of lack of air when squeeze inside the formation waiting! The speeches were way too long and lengthy?! Shld arrange speeches before the formation.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

Guest Guest

A great event n i am glad tht i am part of the pink dot formation. But one thing note is pls do not arrange speech during the formation, cos nearly die of lack of air when squeeze inside the formation waiting! The speeches were way too long and lengthy?! Shld arrange speeches before the formation.

the squeezing part is for you to fondle each other mah.....oops just kidding lah.

the squeezing part is for you to fondle each other mah.....oops just kidding lah.

Haha, not desperate until like tis! Aiya, inside too hot n stuffy liao, nearly "fainted"!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Guest alienlover

better than you right......face computer screen or hp screen and complain.....still waiting for true love?

Guest Guest

Whatever agenda one has, at least they (we) were there to support the movement physically.

And whats wrong with making more aj friends there or even trying to meet someone? Its a healthy event rather than ur usual gay clubs and saunas..

Whatever agenda one has, at least they (we) were there to support the movement physically.

And whats wrong with making more aj friends there or even trying to meet someone? Its a healthy event rather than ur usual gay clubs and saunas..

Agreed, no matter wht, going there to support is something at least we can do for our community.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Some musings on my first Pink Dot:

1. It was hot and the formation of the dot was very delayed
  2. Agreed with alien that the ambassadors' speeches were too long-winded
  3. Could not hear a word of the speech anyway as speakers were only placed near the stage. This also meant that we couldn't hear instructions clearly
  4. The event is getting too popular and Hong Lim Park is getting too small. Organisers will need to find a bigger venue, if the authorities allow.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed myself thoroughly but it certainly was an eye-opener. I'll make a mental note to come 45 minutes after the scheduled time for the dot formation to be on time for the event itself next year.

Edited by bearlover

Guest Guest

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/record-breaking-attendance-at-pink-dot-2013-122827640.html

(read the comment section too)

Pink_Dot_at_the_start.jpg

Record-breaking attendance at Pink Dot 2013

An estimated record-high of 21,000 people turned up at Hong Lim Park on Saturday evening for this year's Pink Dot rally, forming a sea of pink at the Speaker's Corner.

Straight and gay, young and old, they were there to show their support for Singapore's LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual) community and to campaign for equal rights regardless of sexual orientation.

This year's Pink Dot ambassadors were actress and television host Michelle Chia, sportscaster Mark Richmond and well-known thespian Ivan Heng.

The issue of gay rights have been in the news recently. Earlier in April this year, a petition by two gay men to the Singapore High Court asking for Section 377a to be repealed was rejected. They are in the process of appealing again.

For years, activists such as Maruah, a local human rights non-governmental organisation, have been calling for the Singapore government to repeal the section because it is a “critical first step” towards eliminating discrimination against homosexuals.

This year’s Pink Dot turnout of 21,000 is a marked increase from 2012's 15,000. In its first year, 2,500 people attended Pink Dot. This number grew to 4,000 in 2010 and 10,000 in 2011.

The event wasn't too bad.

I mean sponsors have a limit to what they can do so we can't expect an unlimited supply of free food,drinks and souvenirs ma.

The entertainment wasn't too bad. Too much emphasis on the Singaporean spirit though.

Even though that was prolly what they were aiming for.

Many couldn't attend because of work. Ah well.

I have always been a supporter of Pink Dot (in my own small way). Personally, it is an opportunity for me and my close friends/loved ones to have a day out and participate in raising awareness for LGBT community, We are no activists but I guess by turning up, it does help to show that we care. My group of friends also prepared light bites for the picnic, and truly, we had fun preparing the food. Today was really hot (we were perspiring non-stop), but we made it really enjoyable in our own little ways. Lots of camwhoring, of cos! And it was good to see some other friends and a good chance to catch up.

One of my chat mates actually passed some cynical remarks when he heard that I went to Pink Dot, citing that the gay activists are pushing the wrong agenda. That being gay is a self preference and not a national agenda. I didn't want to go on a debate on this issue but I do respect his views since everyone is entitled to have his/her own believes.

Anyhow, I really like what Enelym1978 mentioned in an earlier posting:

"This is called raising awareness. Hoping for changes to take place for a better acceptance for the LGBT community, for equal rights and things like that.

If you didn't realize, you don't have the same rights as straight people. If everybody thought like you, we would be all still living in our tiny closets and not being able to be ourselves in public."

It is never easy to organize a successful event, especially when Pink Dot is growing. There will always be room for improvement and imperfections... it is also up to us (as participants) how best we want to make the evening enjoyable for ourselves. 

I still want to applaud the organiser for doing a decent job! Looking forward to Pink Dot 2014! :)

Guest found

In all honesty, i can appreciate life better as a gay.

When i was straight before, i kept on worrying worrying worrying about my future livelihood.

Now i found life even though my future is still uncertain.

When i was straight before, i kept on worrying worrying worrying about my future livelihood.

Now i found life even though my future is still uncertain.

Everyone should know exact what we really want.  Once chosen, no regret.

Guest Guest

Everything went as planned.. just like a school concert// BORING to the max..

No humour, no touching stories.. just one singing item after another.

Worst, the ending was terrible...

21000 people waited impatiently for 15 mins in the heat and/or haze.. just to let the 3 ambassadors talked talked and talked non-stop... next time, inject the speeches during the concert...

It is more like a carnival...

One good thing: I met a current NMP there.. she was with her son.

We waited for 15 mins and was told that there was no more ice-cream..

What a disappointment!

be constructive ...

u should then volunteer to be part of the organising team next year :)

Guest Guest

the comments from the straight community are quite bad.

many anti-gay comments but if u read carefully, all the same old senseless, illogical arguments and loads of ignorance and scare-mongering, such as society will be destroyed, children will be hurt, HIV and AIDS increase, gays are sickos and perverts ... just go and refute them with facts and logic.  

This is called raising awareness. Hoping for changes to take place for a better acceptance for the LGBT community, for equal rights and things like that.

If you didn't realize, you don't have the same rights as straight people. If everybody thought like you, we would be all still living in our tiny closets and not being able to be ourselves in public.

I have always been a supporter of Pink Dot (in my own small way). Personally, it is an opportunity for me and my close friends/loved ones to have a day out and participate in raising awareness for LGBT community, We are no activists but I guess by turning up, it does help to show that we care. My group of friends also prepared light bites for the picnic, and truly, we had fun preparing the food. Today was really hot (we were perspiring non-stop), but we made it really enjoyable in our own little ways. Lots of camwhoring, of cos! And it was good to see some other friends and a good chance to catch up.

One of my chat mates actually passed some cynical remarks when he heard that I went to Pink Dot, citing that the gay activists are pushing the wrong agenda. That being gay is a self preference and not a national agenda. I didn't want to go on a debate on this issue but I do respect his views since everyone is entitled to have his/her own believes.

Great comments from Enelym1978 and happydude.

Pink Dot is about visibility. You cannot start a dialogue much less overturn entrenched discrimination without first bringing the issue to light. Many of us hope that one day sexual orientation and gender identity would be a non-issue, but we will not get there by being silent.

Many have been calling this just another gay networking opportunity. Not only do such comments belittle the very commendable efforts of the organizing committee plus other volunteers, they are also disrespectful to our allies and advocates who make the effort to support and speak for us. Sure, there will be people going there hoping to meet future partners (relationship, sex or business or whatever), and why should that be viewed negatively? That is what straight people have been doing at various events for eternity and suddenly it becomes a shameful thing when LGBTQ do it?

This was my first Pink Dot event and I'm glad I made it. The entertainment and freebies are good enough. They kept the atmosphere upbeat. They are perhaps also more a service to people who are attending for the first time and maybe attending alone. While it wasn't really my thing and functioned more as a background to me, I appreciate the work that was put in. Plus it was offered for free. I think most of the people attending the event would have attended anyway.

Certainly, the part at the end where people had to endure the being packed like hot sardines while listening to 3 speeches was not ideal. Perhaps the organizers could think about putting two speeches before the dot formation and the final one (just one) when the dot has been formed.

Guest Guest
From the comments..

1. The parents who so called protecting their children from bad influence of lgbt culture, didnt realize that they r the ones contributing to the discrimination and hatred towards the minority. No one can decide if their children will be gay, but they hv the power to create more accepting society if their children turn out to be one.

On a higher perspective, it is about discrimination, lgbt might be fully accepted in the next generation. But discrimination towards another group of minority might appear. And their children could become the minority. We had inequality towards race, slavery, and gender in the past generations.

2. When they comment about the 'dirty' sex gay ppl r having, they didtn realize that it is their mind that is dirty. No one perform any sex act in front of them, it is their mind imagining thinggs that make them feel uncomfortable or perhaps slightly aroused but feel judgmental towards their own feeling.

3. For those who claimed so confidently it is a choice to be gay, the only reason is that they have made the choice - suppressing their nature to choose to be straight.

Guest Guest

Now i found life even though my future is still uncertain.

I would rather be straight if i can, than be gay. Gay life is one damn hard life to lead :(

Guest Guest

I would rather be straight if i can, than be gay. Gay life is one damn hard life to lead :(

but apparently some ignorant folks think people "choose" to be gay.

on a side note, 

anyone noticed the expressions on the public's faces when people in pink flooded places nearby, i.e maxwell food court?

raising awareness as an agenda aside, i personally think we really did shock some people. especially with the horde of people in pink and those who, no offence, cross-dressed and chirping away loudly. people were wondering what exactly just happened. heard a couple asking if "there was an ahgua show nearby".

---

Dignity is a facade we wear to hide our ignorance.

on a side note, 

anyone noticed the expressions on the public's faces when people in pink flooded places nearby, i.e maxwell food court?

raising awareness as an agenda aside, i personally think we really did shock some people. especially with the horde of people in pink and those who, no offence, cross-dressed and chirping away loudly. people were wondering what exactly just happened. heard a couple asking if "there was an ahgua show nearby".

MRT stations as well. 

Instagram: vodkabaker

Guest tyahoo
Record-breaking attendance at Pink Dot 2013ynewslogo-071424_075919.pngYahoo! Newsroom – 21 hours ago
Pink_Dot_at_the_start.jpgAn estimated 21,000 people attended Pink Dot 2013 this year. (Yahoo! Newsroom)

An estimated record-high of 21,000 people turned up at Hong Lim Park on Saturday evening for this year's Pink Dot rally, forming a sea of pink at the Speaker's Corner.

Straight and gay, young and old, they were there to show their support for Singapore's LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual) community and to campaign for equal rights regardless of sexual orientation.

[See pictures of the event in our slideshow here]

This year's Pink Dot ambassadors were actress and television host Michelle Chia, sportscaster Mark Richmond and well-known thespian Ivan Heng.

Speaking to Yahoo! Singapore on his appointment as ambassador, Heng, who is gay, said, “I had no role models as a young man.”

“So I felt it was important for me to stand up and in some way dispel the fear, the ignorance, the prejudice,” he added.

d7311219-6072-4c2e-957e-390dd77a4a71_916Gary Lim and his partner Kenneth Chee are challenging a provision in the penal code known as Section 377A that …

Higher acceptance rates?

The issue of gay rights have been in the news recently. Earlier in April this year, a petition by two gay men to the Singapore High Court asking for Section 377a to be repealed was rejected. They are in the process of appealing again.

For years, activists such as Maruah, a local human rights non-governmental organisation, have been calling for the Singapore government to repeal the section because it is a “critical first step” towards eliminating discrimination against homosexuals.

This year’s Pink Dot turnout of 21,000 is a marked increase from 2012's 15,000. In its first year, 2,500 people attended Pink Dot. This number grew to 4,000 in 2010 and 10,000 in 2011

According to Pink Dot spokesperson Alan Seah, the importance of such statistics cannot be downplayed. 

“We’ve always thought the size of the dot would be a signifier of how open Singapore is, in terms of accepting its LGBT citizens,” he said.

Singapore Democratic Party politician Vincent Wijeysingha, who was spotted at the event, agreed.

“The growing number of attendees suggests to me that the more people hear about the issue of homosexuality, the more straight people understand issues around it, the less it becomes stigmatised,” he said. “And it can only bode well for everyone in Singapore, not just gay people.” 

When asked to comment on his “official” coming out as a gay man a day before Pink Dot, Wijeysingha replied that he has “never been anything but open about (his) sexuality”.

“I wanted to say to young people that it’s okay, you can come out, you can attend events like this, you can start living the person that you are,” he said.

Squid Wan, a 28-year-old producer who has attended the event four times now, took her girlfriend Elle to her first Pink Dot experience. 

“Every year I come back and it gets bigger and bigger, with better sponsors, better coverage,” said Wan. “It’s really amazing where we’re heading towards.”

Her optimism was echoed by Jau, 33. “I hope that one day, we don’t actually need Pink Dot anymore, because it’s just the normal thing to do (sic),” said the architect.

a706b3ed-8a46-478d-8aab-088c607ca9d9_916The 21,000-strong crowd forming the dot and simultaneously lighting up in pink. (Pink Dot SG Photo)

More still to be done

But there were some who were left disappointed by their Pink Dot experience.

“The event is not as inclusive as it should be,” said 23-year-old Low Yim Kuan. “It could have had more representation from groups like female-to-male transsexuals.”

The Nanyang Technological University student felt that Pink Dot should have addressed topics like Section 377a. “With the mainstream success and critical mass that it has achieved, it should be more radical,” commented Low.

Mark Sheng, 32, told Yahoo! Singapore that he was “ambivalent” about the entire event, if only because its predominantly feel-good factor might have glossed over deeper issues concerning gay people.

“Focusing on love is unsatisfactory, to me,” said the artist. “It’s so family-friendly that it almost feels like we have to beg for approval from the straight community.”

But Sheng ultimately conceded that “it’s better to have this event than not to, or else gay people will just stay invisible."

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/record-breaking-attendance-at-pink-dot-2013-122827640.html

Guest Reuters

Singapore's 'Pink Dot' rally shows growing pressure for gay rights

By Eveline Danubrata

SINGAPORE | Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:02am BST

(Reuters) - Singapore is seeing a groundswell of support for same-sex rights, reflected in a record 21,000-strong "Pink Dot" rally in the city-state, only months after its High Court rejected a petition to repeal a law which criminalizes sex between men.

"There is more awareness, especially with the rise of social media. I think with greater awareness, there is greater support as well," said Kierin Galistan, a secretary and one of the participants at the "Pink Dot" rally on Saturday.

"Everyone deserves to love and be loved, regardless of sexual orientation," said Galistan.

In Singapore, sex between men carries a maximum penalty of two years' jail, but the law is seldom enforced.

Organizers said the "Pink Dot" rally in Hong Lim Park was the biggest since its inception in 2009, with an estimated 21,000 people. "It's a strong signal that Singapore is not as conservative as some think," said rally spokesman Paerin Choa.

The Singapore High Court in April rejected a petition by graphic designers Gary Lim and Kenneth Chee to repeal the gay sex law and few believe Singapore will soon change what critics say is an archaic and discriminatory law.

"It seems that the Singapore government thinks it's not time to change the law yet, as they have the perception that the majority of the people in Singapore are still conservative," Lynette Chua, an assistant professor of law at National University of Singapore, said on Sunday.

Chua said pro-gay rights people are likely to wait for the outcome of Lim and Chee's appeal to understand the court's thinking before challenging the law again.

The U.S. Supreme Court delivered a landmark victory for gay rights on Wednesday by forcing the federal government to recognize same-sex marriages in states where it is legal and paving the way for it in California.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/30/us-singapore-gays-idUKBRE95T03M20130630

Guest Guest

Heard alot of straights attend cos

1) they are kaypo and wanna see what is it + its a weekend

2) theres free gifts

3) they are 'forced' by their gay friends to support so go and show face.

;) ;)

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.