Male HQ

Nature Walk In Singapore

abang

The walk from MacRitchie to Bt TImah Nature Reserve totaling about 11km is a bit challenging but rewarding.

Did the trails a long time ago, thought of doing it again.

The hike can be fun and great for building health and fitness too.

Quite a challenging walk from bt timah to macritchie vs. Saw the sign stated abt 11km but i never try the walk. Maybe scare along the route encounter snakes, haha.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

2 entrances?... hmmm...

yes, correct, the big open grass patch was the pivotal point haha... this calls for drastic measures then, i will jio that fren there again and this time will take photographic evidence of the entrance haha!

Ya, 2 entrances. First one is nearer to the rifle range rd side, n the path from tis entrance will lead back to the visitor carpark area. The other entrance is further down the grass patch, somewhere in the middle which hide behind some trees. No sign at tis entrance, but the path will lead to cave path back into the main rd path inside bt timah nature.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Lets organised one Nature Walk soon ~~~ 

"Success has nothing to do with what you Gain or Accomplish for Yourself.
It's What You have Done for Others."
"Development of a country has nothing to do with High Economic Growth Rates,

Its about to what extent have Human Life in the country been Enriched."

By Myself ~~~

Guest dark_jedi

The Kent Ride to HarbourFront nature walk sounds interesting.

I will take a nice slow walk by myself soon.  ;)

hello fellow cancerian, can i stalk you at the kent ride? hehehe ;p i nvr been along that route before oso...

The Kent Ride to HarbourFront nature walk sounds interesting.

I will take a nice slow walk by myself soon.  ;)

I suggest you might want to do a brisk walk instead. My estimate is you might take about an hour to walk from Kent Ridge through Hort Park, up Alexandra Arch (almost an hour) and Forest Walk to Henderson Wave (1/2 hr), Henderson Wave thru Mount Faber than down to Habour Front (almost an hour).

I wanna go but too humid in SG...maybe late nites

Indeed a good idea as there isn't much over head shelter from too hot sun or sudden rain but day and night view are world apart. If you time it close to dusk time, than by the time you reach Harbour Front, you may go over to St James Power House if you legs are still up for it or stroll over to Keppel Bay for a more quiet evening.

I suggest you might want to do a brisk walk instead. My estimate is you might take about an hour to walk from Kent Ridge through Hort Park, up Alexandra Arch (almost an hour) and Forest Walk to Henderson Wave (1/2 hr), Henderson Wave thru Mount Faber than down to Habour Front (almost an hour).

Indeed a good idea as there isn't much over head shelter from too hot sun or sudden rain but day and night view are world apart. If you time it close to dusk time, than by the time you reach Harbour Front, you may go over to St James Power House if you legs are still up for it or stroll over to Keppel Bay for a more quiet evening.

Seems like total number of hrs from kent ridge to harbour front is 2.5hrs!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Seems like total number of hrs from kent ridge to harbour front is 2.5hrs!

Just a rough estimate on my part but i do take time to stop and 'smell the roses'. If the intension is to walk the distance than maybe a much shorter time is needed. I didn't time myself the last time i walk so roughly guessing here to give those going a little guide so at least you can make plans for the end of journey. Be it to go home or a simple makan session. It is definitely not a short trip you can finish in an hour.

Guest dark_jedi

you guys are not going to believe what happened today - came across a "skeleton" of a simian young/pre-juvenile (?) just next to the dirtbike track at bukit timah... most likely planted there by someone who is too free lol...

(can't attach the image because clicking the "Image" and "My Media" not able to open directly from my lappie folder)

you guys are not going to believe what happened today - came across a "skeleton" of a simian young/pre-juvenile (?) just next to the dirtbike track at bukit timah... most likely planted there by someone who is too free lol...

(can't attach the image because clicking the "Image" and "My Media" not able to open directly from my lappie folder)

U didnt call police?!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will have to hit the trails in November and December (either run or hike) to train for upcoming trail events.

Likely MacRitchie and Bukit Timah reserves.

Looking forward :)

Macritchie seems like more suitable for running than bt timah reserves. Bt timah reserves better for hiking.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

• 2 months later...

Have been doing hiking for quite sometime n notice tht majority pple who hike at bt timah are mostly uncles n aunties, wonder how come it is not popular with youngsters?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Have been doing hiking for quite sometime n notice tht majority pple who hike at bt timah are mostly uncles n aunties, wonder how come it is not popular with youngsters?

most elderly who do walking/hiking do to prevent stiff joints or age-related ailments since jogging/running would be more stressful for them. Whereas youngsters this days prefer gyms or jogging around work area/estate more pleasant. Hiking in nature parks seems like an alienated task. To enjoy the tranquility and beauty of nature are kind of strange and 'forbidden' and only suited for more senior of age. Infact our island are full of greenery but how many of us take the time to appreciate? Most would rather take a bus even if it is a one to two stops away.

most elderly who do walking/hiking do to prevent stiff joints or age-related ailments since jogging/running would be more stressful for them. Whereas youngsters this days prefer gyms or jogging around work area/estate more pleasant. Hiking in nature parks seems like an alienated task. To enjoy the tranquility and beauty of nature are kind of strange and 'forbidden' and only suited for more senior of age. Infact our island are full of greenery but how many of us take the time to appreciate? Most would rather take a bus even if it is a one to two stops away.

Haha, no wonder when i tell my friends tht i now active in nature walking, they said why i do old pple exercise? Actually besides nature walk, i also got do running n gym lor, just add in more variety in exercise. After started natue walk, now i do enjoy the tranquility n beauty of nature. :P

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

After started natue walk, now i do enjoy the tranquility n beauty of nature. :P

walking alone gives great satisfaction and sometimes rather haunting and scary. The breaking sound of twigs. Cricket sound that appear out of nowhere. The rustling sound of birds movement. Expecting the unexpected. I had on some occasion had baby snake drop down in my line of track. Creepiest feeling I had was along Mandai reservoir after a rain and still having cool light drizzle. As I walk alone on the quiet road, monkeys of all ages, shapes and sizes were just out in the open. As I try to make my way pass them, they seems to be looking at my every move. At some point, it gave me a chill up my spine, I just wanted to run for dear life... So afraid they attack me. Lol

Agreed, walking alone indeed quite scary at some times, although the feeling more satisfaction, cos u can manage ur own speed n pace. As if u walk with someone, if the other person fitness level is not on par with u, u find u will have problem catching up or he has problem following ur speed n pace.

Many times walking alone along the trails really must prepared for the unexpected situation for animals to appear in ur track. I also encountered snake "strolling" infront of my track n many monkeys at the trails! Haha.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

I actually like the unexpected. It makes the walk more memorable. I much prefer the lone walk. If with friend/s than it better not be a case of who not catching up with who. Than what is the whole point of the walk. Suppose to enjoy the walk not have a race to finish line...lol

Strangely at times I walk with earphones and jump when I got caught by surprise since I couldn't hear the surrounding...

Guest wldsbtm

There was a snake in a tree last weekend just next to the path, suddenly all the photographers appeared out of nowehere, so funny

Edited by wldsbtm

There was a snake in a tree last weekend just next to the path, suddenly all the photographers appeared out of nowehere, so funny

Maybe those pple seldom go nature walk, thts y when they see reptile or animals appeared, they find it very exciting. Last weekend while walking my nature walk, saw one baby snake 'walked' across my path tht i was walking!

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

• 1 month later...

I just came back from taidung (台东)recently and  I really miss the mountain stay. I would like to plan a trekking event to explore the bukit timah reserves. My friends spotted some mouse deer and a sambal deer around upper seletar reservoir area. Is there any one keen in exploring the area to spot some wild lives ? Maybe can shot some photos as well.

sleepy

I just came back from taidung (台东)recently and  I really miss the mountain stay. I would like to plan a trekking event to explore the bukit timah reserves. My friends spotted some mouse deer and a sambal deer around upper seletar reservoir area. Is there any one keen in exploring the area to spot some wild lives ? Maybe can shot some photos as well.

Hey bluemarlin, i'm interested in this. Keep me posted please.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

It's a healthy activity and i am more then happy to go if my schedule allows. :)

Edited by Longpath

Sometimes I find myself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, I found myself.

Memory of David - http://www.blowingwi...showtopic=37397

Last Page - http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=52355

I have been thinking of going around sg to see different historical sites, places and old buildings.

Sg too fast paced for urban developement, must see it before they are conpletely gone.

Yes, before everything gone. Poof!!! Replaced by tall erected architecture... Pulau Ubin is still the best, I can see the sky, nature and kampong at one place.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my hiking partner are avid hikers and we both love the outdoors. We feel our free time is better spent in the outdoors and in the forest. We both like to run (though not competitively) and hiking was a natural extension for us.

We're planning to do the moderate-difficult Woodcutter Trail next month. It'll probably be on a Saturday from morning to afternoon. From the reviews by other hikers, it seems scary/daunting but we're adventurous and we're up to the challenge. It doesn't mean though that we're stupid so we're doing all the research we can get online before doing the trail. Will keep all the interested guys posted on the details as soon as we finalized it.

Woodcutter trail review (2013): http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/75823/Old-Upper-Thomson-Road-Upper-Seletar-5

Woodcutter trail map: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2128811

We need:

- guys/girls who have done this trail before so you can be our guide

- people who know how to use/read/understand GPS positioning (if we can't find someone who has done this trail before)

We welcome:

- Serious/ enthusiast/ amateur hikers

- Guys/girls. We're also straight-friendly.  ^_^

- Anyone who can stand the heat, sweat, mosquitoes, get soaked by river water or rain (if ever we encounter it)

- Positive and friendly. People who like to complain defeats the purpose of this hike.

IMPORTANT: There will be NO sex/fun during the hike. Join other BW hiking groups for that.

Me and my hiking partner are amateurs and we hiked several trails including the very muddy old SIN-MAL railway from Kranji to Buona Vista, the creepy night hike through MacRitchie Reservoir and the raining-soaking-wet-with-no-shelter Mandai to Bukit Panjang forest hike.

Everyone is welcome!  :thumb:

Edited by radialhead

Did that trail some years ago during active NS days... started from Mandai, ending at Old Thomson Road... nice route... vegetation can be quite dense at certain stretch, so GPS be of limited use.

Also, that's the first and only time I actually encounter a small tree snake in our nature reserve or outfield environment.

Standby basic compass and waterproofed paper map.

Me and my hiking partner are avid hikers and we both love the outdoors. We feel our free time is better spent in the outdoors and in the forest. We both like to run (though not competitively) and hiking was a natural extension for us.

We're planning to do the moderate-difficult Woodcutter Trail next month. It'll probably be on a Saturday from morning to afternoon. From the reviews by other hikers, it seems scary/daunting but we're adventurous and we're up to the challenge. It doesn't mean though that we're stupid so we're doing all the research we can get online before doing the trail. Will keep all the interested guys posted on the details as soon as we finalized it.

woodcutter's trail is not opened to the public. if you go in, it's considered trespassing.  i read that it's $200 fine if the rangers caught you.

do it at your own risk.