Male HQ

Pm Say We Can Afford Six Million Population In Sg

Guest GUEST

Population in all societies must increase. If the population decreases, the consequence is severe. Don't forget abt the aged will will drastically increase in 20 years. If the population stays stagnant n % of aged increases significantly, don't even think anyone can compete for jobs as there will be few. Don't forget that we are Singapore, not Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia or Philippines. We don't have land, or grow anything. Once we lose the edge of being no1 in ASEAN, we are doomed. It's very ez for any company to move 50km to Malaysia.

I think what I read was that right now the pop is around 5.2m (?) and the extra 0.8m is actually FT and not home-grown Singaporeans thus increasing the already serious xenophobia situation in Singapore.

https://merlinsfolio.wordpress.com/

https://medium.com/@merlincheng
"On the Internet, no one knows you are a cat."

6m won't happen overnight. Look at Japan. It suffered from stagnant population growth n it's economy shrunk. Japan was a powerhouse buying America 20yeats ago. Now, america grew by leaps while Japan stayed the same for 10 years. Now it's losing it's influence n it's economy is crawling. We will be worst than Japan if similar situation happens here as our population can't feed our economy n our expectations. I hope the givt will tackle housing b transport before it reaches 6 m.

Less job opportunities? Let's try letting all foreigner go on leave for 1 month. Love to see the outcome. So happy many jobs oppening for Singaporean.

Don't look at me, I am not 9GAG SG.

https://merlinsfolio.wordpress.com/

https://medium.com/@merlincheng
"On the Internet, no one knows you are a cat."

I say it will be really suffocating by then. I have already felt something was wrongly different with Singapore when I started working there in 2008 compared to when I went there for a trip some 3 to 5 years before that.

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

I am a born and bred Singaporean and I am proud of it.

I just returned from a short trip to Hong Kong, Macau, Zhu Hai and GuangZhou.

The trip makes me re-evaluates what I have here.

LKY may have being very hard-fisted but if there is one thing that he did right, it was his housing policy.

Yes one may argue that HDB flats looks like pigeon-holes, we dont own it etc..

but compare to our counterparts in HK, we are so much better off.

Dont forget that our forefathers were also poor immigrants.

Instead of complaining about FT, ask ourselves, what can/must we do to upgrade?

We can accommodate them... if we open our hearts and minds...

6m won't happen overnight. Look at Japan. It suffered from stagnant population growth n it's economy shrunk. Japan was a powerhouse buying America 20yeats ago. Now, america grew by leaps while Japan stayed the same for 10 years. Now it's losing it's influence n it's economy is crawling. We will be worst than Japan if similar situation happens here as our population can't feed our economy n our expectations. I hope the givt will tackle housing b transport before it reaches 6 m.

This is a flawed perception. There must be a time when the population growth has to stop. Now that we have hit the 5.2 million from the previous 3 million, what is there to stop PAP from telling us to continue to grow to 10 million when we hit this 6 million. Even though populations in all societies must grow, are we growing the correct way? If you feel that you need cash tto support your personal household, do you rent your rooms out to any Tom, Dick and Harry that you can grab out from the streets? Even though Japan is an aging economy, it is still by far one of the richest in the world and the government is still protecting its own citizens, and the government is still pushing for their own brand names such as Toyota, Honda etc etc. It is true that the Japanese have their own issues, but they are tackling them with their own citizens' beneifts in mind. What can our government really do except to bring in the foreign trash?

I am a born and bred Singaporean and I am proud of it.

I just returned from a short trip to Hong Kong, Macau, Zhu Hai and GuangZhou.

The trip makes me re-evaluates what I have here.

LKY may have being very hard-fisted but if there is one thing that he did right, it was his housing policy.

Yes one may argue that HDB flats looks like pigeon-holes, we dont own it etc..

but compare to our counterparts in HK, we are so much better off.

Dont forget that our forefathers were also poor immigrants.

Instead of complaining about FT, ask ourselves, what can/must we do to upgrade?

We can accommodate them... if we open our hearts and minds...

The above reasoning is really so flawed. What kind of salary are the HongKongers getting in comparison to us? Two different persons doing the same job in HongKong and Singapore may have a difference in salary of up to a few thousand Singapore dollars! Furthermore, even if our forefathers may be poor immigrants, but that was DECADES ago! Imagine if the Americans keeps telling their children that they were all Bristish descendents, and the Australians keep telling their children that they were descendents of PRISONERS, what would be their status today? It is true that we can accomodate them, but they should do their part in promoting the employment of Singaporeans on our own land first, respecting Singaporeans on our own land first, and helping Singaporeans on our own land first, before we even think of accomodating them!

Japan is clearly loosing its influence in the world stage. It's aging population and it's protectionist attitude is several factors that Japan is loosing its clout. Also note that in just a generation ago, Japan was on the verge of surpassing the Americans as the biggest economy in the world, and I am sure u know that Japanese economy stayed stagnant and countries esp china grew by the leaps. Japan has a population if 300million? Sg?5? Won't u agree that sg is in a much more delicate situation as compared to Japan? At least Japan can grow its own food. Hk has a big brother behind her, china will not let hk fail. Who do we have? It's very easy for large companies to shift base overnight if they find sg too restrictive. I will want a gradual increase over time. Of cos not an overnight increase of an additional 800k ppl. Population to remain stagnant? Is that possible? Practice $!^*| protectionism? Is that possible?

Japan is clearly loosing its influence in the world stage. It's aging population and it's protectionist attitude is several factors that Japan is loosing its clout. Also note that in just a generation ago, Japan was on the verge of surpassing the Americans as the biggest economy in the world, and I am sure u know that Japanese economy stayed stagnant and countries esp china grew by the leaps. Japan has a population if 300million? Sg?5? Won't u agree that sg is in a much more delicate situation as compared to Japan? At least Japan can grow its own food. Hk has a big brother behind her, china will not let hk fail. Who do we have? It's very easy for large companies to shift base overnight if they find sg too restrictive. I will want a gradual increase over time. Of cos not an overnight increase of an additional 800k ppl. Population to remain stagnant? Is that possible? Practice $!^*| protectionism? Is that possible?

Yes, Singapore is indeed in a delicate position. So is us being in a "delicate position" a good enough reason to sell off our own citizens? Like what was mentioned in a blog which went viral, when we say that humans is the only resource that Singapore has now, are we some kind of "Trees"? Are we some kind of "Oil"? Are we some kind of "Minerals"? Are we Singaporeans supposed to be sold off "cheap" so that we can compete with even cheaper resources like that found in China and Indonesia? And when we do not have enough "people" to sell off, are we supposed to bring in more foreign trash to sell?

If this is the best solution that our Ministers, whom we actually paids millions of dollars each year, can come up with, then I think the next better players should replace them soon.

Thank you for the comment. If u want the answer yes, we are the " oil" in the country. N we are not "cheap" oil. 50 km in any direction n u can get their "oils" at 1/3 or 1/8 of our the price of our "oil".

You're really a quarrelsome bitch, gstc82, derailing each thread with your mindless drivel.

Simple logic. we are in the world of people earn people, people play people. If you have watched the movie "Motel', you will know what I am talking about. I am now in Dubai, 90% of population is from oversea. There are big shopping malls everywhere but who are in shopping mall... foreigner. who earn the money .. the owner of the shopping mall. Who is the biggest earner .. government who provide the land for the shopping malls. So simple, the higher the population, the higher the money government have. Forget about the old ages, housing policy, etc. There are just story telling. Why must we have HDB like condo and pay so high cost ? Can't we have HDB like in 1980, cheap and simple. Again, back to the same question. Who earn the money ? We are just workers for someone and we are happy with the basic need we have.

Thank you for the comment. If u want the answer yes, we are the " oil" in the country. N we are not "cheap" oil. 50 km in any direction n u can get their "oils" at 1/3 or 1/8 of our the price of our "oil". :)

Really? We may not be "cheap" oil in the past, but now our government has diluted this oil with the "cheap" oil you can get at 50km away for 1/3 or 1/8 of the price of our own "oil". And by the way, we are not "oil", we are humans. We are not for trading purposes.

Really? We may not be "cheap" oil in the past, but now our government has diluted this oil with the "cheap" oil you can get at 50km away for 1/3 or 1/8 of the price of our own "oil". And by the way, we are not "oil", we are humans. We are not for trading purposes.

I shall use a singaporean phrase to reply you , ORH.

Guest Blaidd_drwg

Politics aside, we must first ask objectively:

"Why is 6 million people the critical mass for a city state like Singapore? What are the underlying assumptions?"

This idea of "critical mass" has been in rhetoric since Lee Kuan Yew's 1980s. It may be true that a Singapore of the 80s needed 6 million people in its future. But he forgot that besides labour as an input, there is technological capital.

So even I as a foreigner cannot see any sensible reason as to why Singapore should grow to 6 million. If you have more machineries to do the work of labourers, why not? If productivity is such a central issue, Singapore should not be increasing its population to such an extent.

Politics aside, we must first ask objectively:

"Why is 6 million people the critical mass for a city state like Singapore? What are the underlying assumptions?"

This idea of "critical mass" has been in rhetoric since Lee Kuan Yew's 1980s. It may be true that a Singapore of the 80s needed 6 million people in its future. But he forgot that besides labour as an input, there is technological capital.

So even I as a foreigner cannot see any sensible reason as to why Singapore should grow to 6 million. If you have more machineries to do the work of labourers, why not? If productivity is such a central issue, Singapore should not be increasing its population to such an extent.

Isn't it clear that the aim is to overrun Singapore and to boost the electoral registry with these instant citizens so as to perpetuate the political hegemony of the incumbent?

A post by "guest" "dissapeared" mods must explain it's stand why was that entry deleted, I read and countered that "guest" as he said the govt shd not expect "civility" n " grace" from the public, which I read as that "guest" is asking for social unrest in sg which is very dangerous.

Dont blame the foreigners for coming and taking over our jobs... the jobs that most of us had forsaken/ignored..

They are here to support us.. look at the many sales and services staff..

We should instead UPGRADE

This is indeed an extremely myopic statement. We are referring to the Foreign "Talents" under Employment Pass here, and not those on Work Permit. We do need foreign workers to do jobs that we do not want, such as those involving cleaning floors etc. Nobody "took away" those jobs when we willingly gave them up. We need foreign workers to do those lower level jobs just so that Singaporeans can be freed up to do the better paying jobs. You really should look into the offices and see how many foreign "talents" (or rather, trash) are sitting inside the office space instead of us Singaporeans. Those are the jobs that the foreign trash "took away" from us. It is also really myopic to even think that upgrading will solve our problems. How far should we "upgrade" to get a job, which may then be given to another one simply because the foreigner is CHEAPER? Are you aware of how many taxi drivers are holding on to degrees now??

This is indeed an extremely myopic statement. We are referring to the Foreign "Talents" under Employment Pass here, and not those on Work Permit. We do need foreign workers to do jobs that we do not want, such as those involving cleaning floors etc. Nobody "took away" those jobs when we willingly gave them up. We need foreign workers to do those lower level jobs just so that Singaporeans can be freed up to do the better paying jobs. You really should look into the offices and see how many foreign "talents" (or rather, trash) are sitting inside the office space instead of us Singaporeans. Those are the jobs that the foreign trash "took away" from us. It is also really myopic to even think that upgrading will solve our problems. How far should we "upgrade" to get a job, which may then be given to another one simply because the foreigner is CHEAPER? Are you aware of how many taxi drivers are holding on to degrees now??

make up your mind. 1st against foreigners, now u say u want foreigners to clean your hdb, build your house n do the "crappy" work. Hey btw, who open these "offices" which u claim is filled with "foreign trash"? Was it opened with foreign money or local money? No I don't know how many taxi drivers have degrees, do u know? I know my domestic helper had one.

make up your mind. 1st against foreigners, now u say u want foreigners to clean your hdb, build your house n do the "crappy" work. Hey btw, who open these "offices" which u claim is filled with "foreign trash"? Was it opened with foreign money or local money? No I don't know how many taxi drivers have degrees, do u know? I know my domestic helper had one.

We have already made up our mind. It is you who are perpetually confused all the time. I bet even the foreign MDs won't want anyone to mix them together with the foreign construction workers. Why are you so confused over everything?

So "guests" welcome foreign companies to set up offices in sg, but only want them to employ locals? Can meh? Like what phua chu kang says "use your----"

Yes, we want foreigners to set up offices in Sg. I don't expect them to employ ONLY locals, but I do expect them to employ a MAJORITY, eg 80%, locals. This is the same concept that Most countries has already practiced, and it is known as a QUOTA system! If these companies cannot survive by employing more locals, then it is best that these companies stay out of Sg and keep to wherever they come from. We don't need more of them cramping their asses into our MRT, living in our HDB, and hiring only the foreign trash. This is simple logic. You aren't very smart, are you?

I have to disagree with the increasement to 6m, I mean, look at the economy now, alto SG is ranked amongst the tops of being the world's richest cities, Yea Cities and not countries. However, as SG doesn't have any prescence of raw materials, it's alr a severe disadvantage to our rising economy, Whatsmore,with the recent ban on land sand from our neighbouring country Indonesia, SG is currently unable to expand its territory, or shld i say land area, thus the govt shld at least come up with a plan to maximise land use to accomodate the growing pop. Many SG's are homeless, This is unknown to many, But a horrifying 12.3% of Sg'reans are homeless. How terrible is that? Furthermore, Foreign talents from Mainland China are "Invited" to join us in Sg, Of coz it'll be good if they're "Foreign talents" Instead of "Untalented Foreign Talents". Please don't flame me abt this, but majority of these "FT'S" are in the lower band, whereas they are mostly in the lower category of the working sector. Just my 2cents aft being a humans tcher for years.

I'm happy because I learnt to be contented. Black & White life with surprising rainbows sometimes. ;) 
Your Friendly Gay "Cher"

I think it is possible; my fren tour me around northern and eastern part of Singapore, there are still large area of undeveloped plots. And I had visited the City Gallery on the 2nd floor of URA, with its many upcoming residential projects and new rail lines. It is pretty evidential that the govt is actively trying to ease out the traffic from public transportation.

I believe (and it is a fact) that in late 1980s to late 1990s MRT stations are built not by the demand of Singaporeans but by economists forecasted rate of the birth rate of Singaporeans. The problem is that they never factor in the sharp increase in foreigners during the early 2000s to 2011, resulting in serious crowd and human traffic. Now, glancing at the multi-colored lines running around Singapore 2035 made me headache @-@

Guest Sick of some people

Frankly, I don't enjoy reading some of the above motherhood posts. I think I am smart enough to know the meaning of being squeezed left, right and center. I am not complaining, but I love space and freedom, a place where I can run wild without fearing of knocking down someone, a place where I can walk freely without worrying about obstructing other people path, a place where I can breath in nature and not some strangers' armpits blocking my nose, a place where I can reach home on time after work, eat peacefully at hawker without worrying no seat and also where I can still have a place to seat or lie down when I am old without worrying hefty medical cost and fully booked appointments. There are 1001 reasons why an island has its limit. Don't believe, gag your baby with 10 hamburgers and hope he survive thereafter. I am no guru, just a human trying hard to blend in with nature. The world has too many humans, and they are the cause of all problems in this planet, I want less of that in Singapore.

Talk so much, u also agree that you "guest" and all your alter egos want foreigners. I rest my case against you. N pls, I do not claim to speak for everyone, you self proclaim that u speak for all Singaporeans is pure fantasy.lol. U took your medication today?

You really aren't the brightest bulb on this forum, are you? LOL! Just because I used the term "we" is no indication that I am claiming to speak for ALL Singaporeans. And I only sign in as "Guest", so how did you come to the conclusion I have some alter egos beyond that? You have no case against anyone at all, so what case are you exactly trying to "rest"?? LOL! Did your mother give you a brain when she gave birth to you? Or perhaps you need medication to sustain those pathetic few brain cells of yours! LOL!

You really aren't the brightest bulb on this forum, are you? LOL! Just because I used the term "we" is no indication that I am claiming to speak for ALL Singaporeans. And I only sign in as "Guest", so how did you come to the conclusion I have some alter egos beyond that? You have no case against anyone at all, so what case are you exactly trying to "rest"?? LOL! Did your mother give you a brain when she gave birth to you? Or perhaps you need medication to sustain those pathetic few brain cells of yours! LOL!

:clap: :thumb: :twisted:

wel of cos I m not the brightest bulb in bw nor I claim to be. There are two threads in the flaming room created to flame me, u could cont the gstc82 bashing there? Btw, are u claiming to be the brightest one in bw( or any of your other identities.)?

i think what Singaporeans dun wan is for us to become a Dubai or Abu Dhabi! look at them 90% foreigners? come on!

we are now only 60% of our population, but already everytime i go onto the train, i hear the filipino language or chinese accents! It is not they are not welcomed, rather there are jus too many of them and so many of them refuse to assimilate into our culture. I was at value shop in Toa payoh center, since most of staffs are pinoy, they were communicating to each other in filipino. i was like WTF.

it is obvious that we need immigration for the country to grow, but seriously, how long did we take to grow from 3 million to 5.2 million? is there a need for us to grow THAT fast? how can the PM expect these FT to fit in so fast? how can he expect us to fit these FT in that fast?

wel of cos I m not the brightest bulb in bw nor I claim to be. There are two threads in the flaming room created to flame me, u could cont the gstc82 bashing there? Btw, are u claiming to be the brightest one in bw( or any of your other identities.)?

Is that really the best retort your last few surviving brain cells can come up with? Yawnz....... What a bore....

A post by "guest" "dissapeared" mods must explain it's stand why was that entry deleted, I read and countered that "guest" as he said the govt shd not expect "civility" n " grace" from the public, which I read as that "guest" is asking for social unrest in sg which is very dangerous.

Shut up, bitch!

I was asking for a moderation of the foreign talent policy which has caused an influx of 2 million foreigners in 5 years, an increase of 65% of Singapore's 2006 population.

Which part of my post was asking for social unrest?

we are now only 60% of our population, but already everytime i go onto the train, i hear the filipino language or chinese accents! It is not they are not welcomed, rather there are jus too many of them and so many of them refuse to assimilate into our culture.

AVB11.jpg

Some people sure know how to twist figures, a simple google n u can see sg population was 4.4m in 2006, not 3.2 or 3m in 2006. Very "selective" aiming to "win" their argument. Figures are available in gov websites. Best is to research as sg total population did not grow 65% in 5 years. It was in 1992 when sg population was 3.2m, 20 years ago.

Edited by gstc82

Some people sure know how to twist figures, a simple google n u can see sg population was 4.4m in 2006, not 3.2 or 3m in 2006. Very "selective" aiming to "win" their argument. Figures are available in gov websites. Best is to research as sg total population did not grow 65% in 5 years. It was in 1992 when sg population was 3.2m, 20 years ago.

The lapdog lackey speaks again...

• Guest locked this topic