Male HQ

Open Club  ·  137 members

Gardening

Gardening Enthusiasts

Clickclock

How difficult it is to grow/ take care of sunflower plant?

Does the plant react well to evening sun?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Based on my experience in growing them, germination is easy, all you need is just good soil, humidity and water. Its the rest of the growing that is the problem. Sunflowers obviously require lots of sun for them to have a full bloom and healthy growth. I grew mine in a semi bright corner and hence it had a partial petal growth and the older leaves turned brown and fell off really easily. sad.

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

So it was more of putting weak pesticide to remove the pest for the infestation ?  so what sort of compost put to supplement the soil and give the nutrients it need ??

This i'm not so sure as I have not done it before. Based on my experience with other plants like basil and roses, I used chicken manure and it does wonders. Not too much though, as it is organic, it is mild and slow releasing as compared to the extreme manmade ones in a packet. Its easy to overdose on those.

"Did you mix your own neem oil or did you purchase the ready mixed one? Well mixed neem oil shouldn't burn the leaves of the plants, unless you've used it in a hot afternoon or a hot day. (It's always best to use pesticides, no matter what sort, at night.) For infestations, isolate the plant that is infested and discard any infested leaves far away from the plant, make sure you spray the neem oil all around the plant, including the bottom of the leaves. 

Watermelon generally prefers sandy loam soil that has a slightly better drainage, keep the soil moist but make sure you don't over water (which causes the soil to be water logged), and oh yeah, watermelon requires a fertilizer that is high in nitrogen, be sure to use one that has a higher nitrogen base. Make sure your watermelon plant gets full exposure to sunlight, they need loads of sunlight! 

"

Nope, i mixed the solution myself. I bought a bottle of pure neem oil you see. And yea, I did use it on the afternoon which is why it burned the leaves, just couldnt stand a mass of aphids on the leaves, i had to kill them off. I have already one what you have mentioned ald, in the removal of the infected leaves and isolating it. Its just that the infestation went far too much that the main leaves are all infected and that the remainder are turning yellowish brown. I had to put it out of its misery.

Thanks for the watermelon tips too! I'm currently lacking of space in my garden so it will be sometime till i try growing watermelons again.

Edited by Clickclock

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

• 2 weeks later...

paiseh...did not check in for some time...i see there is some interest in my platycerium collection. I can give away pups as soon as they are large enough to be separated. All my platyceriums are purchased from overseas, mainly Thailand. The local ones are huge - eg. P. coronarium and mainly of the bifurcatum variety.

pm me if you are keen.

growing conditions - bright shade (some direct in early morning/late afternoon is ok), keep growing substrate moist

advantages - very few pests (P ridleyi is prone to mealy bugs), fungal infestation if too damp

A friend gave me 2 varieties of neoregelias (related to bromeliads - the pineapple family) which is grown more for their beautiful leaves than flowers. They have grown and produced off shoots that are now what you see in the pics. I have 1-2 off shoots that can be given away. please pm me.

This one has leaf tips that turn maroon when exposed to strong sun

[/20140102_164110_zps0ecec595.jpg

This one has leaf tips turning pink under strong sun

20140102_164133_zps996977cd.jpg

Advantages - little care needed, just keep core filled with some water, hardly affected by pests/fungus

Disadvantages - attracts mosquitoes breeding (just add some insecticide/pesticide to the water), leaves have spikes at the edges (be careful when handling)

Edited by sukothai

nice... any pictures to show wat u have haha

Tanhua1_zpsa3e00312.jpg

Tanhua2_zps34232943.jpg

Above are broad-leaf epiphyllum at my balcony, otherwise known as 昙花一现. The flowers bloom only for one night but are large and ethereal in appearance, with musky fragrance. These flowers can be consumed for TCM healing...delicious! ;)

Edited by Cube3

Guest mrbotanyboey

A friend gave me 2 varieties of neoregelias (related to bromeliads - the pineapple family) which is grown more for their beautiful leaves than flowers. They have grown and produced off shoots that are now what you see in the pics. I have 1-2 off shoots that can be given away. please pm me.

">http://20140102_164110_zps0ecec595.jpg

this one has leaf tips that turn maroon when exposed to strong sun

">http://20140102_164133_zps996977cd.jpg

this one has leaf tips turning pink under strong sun

Advantages - little care needed, just keep core filled with some water, hardly affected by pests/fungus

Disadvantages - attracts mosquitoes breeding (just add some insecticide/pesticide to the water), leaves have spikes at the edges (be careful when handling)

Hey! Broms! I would love to get some Broms :D

I have Neoregelia cruenta x FireBall & Neoregelia Bossa Nova for now hahah.

Would love to have the offshoot :D

• 5 weeks later...
Guest dark_jedi

Above are broad-leaf epiphyllum at my balcony, otherwise known as 昙花一现. The flowers bloom only for one night but are large and ethereal in appearance, with musky fragrance. These flowers can be consumed for TCM healing...delicious! ;)

hi cube3, are these available in nurseries then? what is the common english name to identify it to the florist?

hi cube3, are these available in nurseries then? what is the common english name to identify it to the florist?

Honestly, I haven't seen these in the nurseries (possibly because their flowers are so transient, it's not very impressive to display lol!) Most species I've seen are slightly smaller and slender, not big like mine, which is epiphyllum oxypetalum (but the smaller ones flower more frequently).

Here are a few links to more info, including more common names - broad-leaf epiphyllum is already a common name. Apparently the Mexican version is called Cacti Orchid and can bloom in many other colours! :thumb:

Medicinal Plant Images Database

http://libproject.hkbu.edu.hk/was40/detail?lang=en&channelid=1288&searchword=herb_id=D00768

Northern Gardeners Almanac

http://www.northerngardenersalmanac.com/2010/01/how-to-grow-epiphyllum-orchid-cacti-as.html

If florists/nurseries don't stock, can PM me for cuttings...for BW members/LGBTs only lol! ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, it's me again!

just letting you guys know that I'm planning to visit Song Orchids tmr! anyone interested to tag along? 
there's a really good selection of exotic orchids there and the people there are really friendly.

highly reccomended!

Edited by Clickclock

Hey Clickclock,

I can't make it tomorrow but could help me keep a lookout for any unique dendrobiums? Thanks :D

Its okay, and yea! they have

Den. frosty dawn

Den. dawn maree

Den. hibiki especially. 

they have tons of really exotic ones.

• 4 months later...
Guest mrbotanyboey

I bought a bag of soil + fertiliser from NTUC gardening section. Put it into my plant. Sad to say few days later a lot if the leaves turn yellow. Sigh.

Did I add too much fertiliser? Not enough water? Any gurus who can advise?

You can read it here: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/plant-leaves-turn-yellow.htm

Anyway What plant is that? 

I bought a bag of soil + fertiliser from NTUC gardening section. Put it into my plant. Sad to say few days later a lot if the leaves turn yellow. Sigh.

Did I add too much fertiliser? Not enough water? Any gurus who can advise?

Do not put fertiliser where the stem is, it must be away! If you think you have added too much, try digging out the fertiliser now and water it more often so that they can drain out all the excess. Hope this help! Cheers

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest hello.pseudo

Very much into gardening too! Got a variety of cacti. Anyone knows if it is safe to change the soil of a cactus once the roots start coming out from the bottom of its pot? I tried doing that once but the cactus died in three days :/

Very much into gardening too! Got a variety of cacti. Anyone knows if it is safe to change the soil of a cactus once the roots start coming out from the bottom of its pot? I tried doing that once but the cactus died in three days :/

Usually just need to be gentle, try not to damage the roots. Might it be that the soil in the new pot was too clayey and moisture-retentive...? Cacti need loose, fine sand, so that water will flow thru and not get retained...

Guest hello.pseudo

Usually just need to be gentle, try not to damage the roots. Might it be that the soil in the new pot was too clayey and moisture-retentive...? Cacti need loose, fine sand, so that water will flow thru and not get retained...

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I think it could have been that the soil was watered way too much. Should have gave it some sun to dry it out. Just bought a new one. Hopefully I don't kill this one too!

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I think it could have been that the soil was watered way too much. Should have gave it some sun to dry it out. Just bought a new one. Hopefully I don't kill this one too!

My first plants were aloe vera, which I killed, lol! - If not confident about watering (too much/too little), try placing a saucer under the pot. Pour water onto saucer instead of into pot, then let the plant soak up its water...as much as it needs. Another trick might be to just use a spray to spurt/mist the cacti...this way, only a little moisture is fed each time! ;)

Guest hello.pseudo

My first plants were aloe vera, which I killed, lol! - If not confident about watering (too much/too little), try placing a saucer under the pot. Pour water onto saucer instead of into pot, then let the plant soak up its water...as much as it needs. Another trick might be to just use a spray to spurt/mist the cacti...this way, only a little moisture is fed each time! ;)

I've actually been using a saucer all the while. My cacti are kept on my office desk so saucers are a must. Right now, I've scheduled days to water my plants, usually with a few drops of water to suffice. They growing well but I'm still afraid of transferring them to a bigger pot. Lol.

I've actually been using a saucer all the while. My cacti are kept on my office desk so saucers are a must. Right now, I've scheduled days to water my plants, usually with a few drops of water to suffice. They growing well but I'm still afraid of transferring them to a bigger pot. Lol.

Here are some tips...this is a BIG cactus!

• 9 months later...

Hey everyone! how's everybody's plants doing? Just figured I should ressurect this thread from the ashes

here are some blooms of mine! enjoy!

1506868_10153465244874728_52842966210869

Pink rose, smells like bandung

11202108_10153886777569728_3695203364792

Muskmallow plant, Abelmoschus Moschutus

11745360_10153632084159728_8306081627202

Arabian Nights Jasmine

12036833_10153779053834728_1986926317036

Dendrobium Sanguiletum(i think)

12308521_10153920008729728_7521728284268

Papillioanda Mimi Palmer

12391985_10153959821584728_7540012965253

Pinguilca in flower!

1506868_10153465244874728_52842966210869

11202108_10153886777569728_3695203364792

11745360_10153632084159728_8306081627202

12036833_10153779053834728_1986926317036

12308521_10153920008729728_7521728284268

12391985_10153959821584728_7540012965253

Edited by Clickclock

Anyone into keeping Carnivorous or Predator Plants here?

Mind share share experience? 

"Success has nothing to do with what you Gain or Accomplish for Yourself.
It's What You have Done for Others."
"Development of a country has nothing to do with High Economic Growth Rates,

Its about to what extent have Human Life in the country been Enriched."

By Myself ~~~

On 1/5/2016 at 3:39 AM, heianedenwood said:

ooooo.... I haven't visited this forum in a while. Thanks clickclock for reviving this thread. XD

@Sylvan What do you want to know about carnivorous plants?

Is it easy to keep them? Does they really need to be fed with insects to stay alive or just normal fertilizer will do? 

By Myself ~~~

1. They are easy with the right conditions.

a) High humidity: You can achieve this by putting them in an area that has a lot of water (e.g. toilet) or by putting many pots of plants together

b) High ambient light: Very very bright area with lots of indirect sunlight

2. They can catch their own food (unless you are in a sterile environment). Don't worry about feeding them. Just water regularly and keep the medium moist always.

3. NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER fertilise carnivorous plants.

I create. Therefore, I am.

20 hours ago, heianedenwood said:

a) High humidity: You can achieve this by putting them in an area that has a lot of water (e.g. toilet) or by putting many pots of plants together

2. They can catch their own food (unless you are in a sterile environment). Don't worry about feeding them. Just water regularly and keep the medium moist always.

I second that, just fertilized my plants last week and oops, accidentally poured some into my pitcher plant now its growing big ass leaves and the pitchers are not really forming.

12523092_10154008136499728_3560812153811wa4q5t.jpg

oh! anyway, my cattleyas just bloomed! so happy, that's really really good fragrance!

12523092_10154008136499728_3560812153811

Edited by Clickclock

On 1/11/2016 at 4:27 AM, heianedenwood said:

Thanks so much for the tips... However I just understand why we should not fertilise carnivorous plants?

By Myself ~~~

4 hours ago, Sylvan said:

Thanks so much for the tips... However I just understand why we should not fertilise carnivorous plants?

If you fertilize the CP, the plant no longer sees the need to create large pitchers to catch insects to gather their nutrients, it will simply grow like a vegetable with bigger leaves are hardly develop any more large pitchers.

15 hours ago, Clickclock said:

If you fertilize the CP, the plant no longer sees the need to create large pitchers to catch insects to gather their nutrients, it will simply grow like a vegetable with bigger leaves are hardly develop any more large pitchers.

Thanks so much for the tips !!!!! hugs

By Myself ~~~

9 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

So...any secrets to getting tillandsias to flower? Mine are 2 years old and they've never flowered :(

Oh erm, did you get this particular species (Tillandsia ionantha)? It's one of the easiest to grow and maintain. There is no secret here. They seem happy to be hung near the window with plenty of sunlight and air circulation. Give them a thorough mist (water) till dripping wet few times a week. Mine flower once or twice a year. Coincidentally, they flower close to cny period :)

Be cool, like a breeze...

Oh ya one more thing. I understand that each plant only flowers once. Usually after flowering, budding occurs and you will see new baby plants emerging from the base of the mother plant. It's the new baby plants that will take turn to flower. 

Hey Coolbriz, tks for the info! Yah...mine probably still baby not ready to flower...? I keep them in a miniature garden outside in the corridor balcony...was wondering whether it needs fertiliser in the spray or something!?

2 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Hey Coolbriz, tks for the info! Yah...mine probably still baby not ready to flower...? I keep them in a miniature garden outside in the corridor balcony...was wondering whether it needs fertiliser in the spray or something!?

No worries, I'm just sharing my experience with these cute little plants :D. They do not really need fertilizer. Just the 3 impt things: wet mist (spray), good air circulation and plenty of light (not necessarily direct sunlight)