Male HQ

Open Club  ·  137 members

Gardening

Gardening Enthusiasts

Clickclock

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, 4evaboring said:

Any recommendation on where can i get air plant to be place on office desk? and what is their pricing? I saw online the pricing range can be very huge so not sure what to get.

Best-value would be to grab when holidaying in BKK. Pop by Chatuchak on weekday morning and there'd be a wonderful variety, starting from as low as 10 baht! Below $10 you can put together a really lovely airplant garden on office desk ^_^

On 26/05/2013 at 10:23 PM, Clickclock said:

Hi everyone! with regards to my sexuality, it is a meh, it does not make a significant part of me, it's simply my orientation and nothing more, what defines me is my mind and my personality and I would say that I am a Gardening enthusiast!

Just figured that I should create a thread for all Gardening enthusiasts here to share their pictures of their beloved plants! I really adore the act of nurturing a life from its very small and tiny beginnings, to its glorious bountiful future.

Here are some of my plants at my garden!

xo4ifq.jpg
307rt4k.jpg

My watermelons! grew these from seed and pollinated the flowers all by myself =)

xx17m.jpg

Strawberries started from seed!

a58dc6.jpg

Cotton!

33kbrzb.jpg

Cucumber!

Besides the plants mentioned above, I have Vanilla, passion fruit, rosemary, mint, pineapple mint, lavender, zinnias, pineapples, aloe veras and more! Would be great if there are any gardening enthusiasts here. =)

@ClickclockI am growing passion fruit plant too. That's explain why I need a trellis. 

11 hours ago, jospore said:

Hi Guys,

My partner and I with a few other tiong bahru residents are just starting a community garden, though its meant for residents we do welcome friends of tiong bahru.

Our garden is currently under construction but check our FB "Community Garden at Tiong Bahru". for recent events.

595c82763d3d1_CGTBposterjuly17.thumb.jpg.07a437c7014ca96b9228c3aa79cff229.jpg

Be diligent with the angle from which sunlight reaches the plot.  We are simply too close to the equator.  

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, lookseelooksee said:

Hi, I would like to share a way in which all gardening enthusiasts can greatly boost the plants in your neighbourhood without spending a single cent.

Get a few large, clean, empty plastic bottles e.g. 1.5 litre mineral water bottle. Pee into the bottle instead of the toilet bowl (you can save water and money by not having to flush). Store your pee in the bottle. When you have stored up a few bottles of urine, look for an opportunity at night (after midnight and before dawn) to bring your bottles of urine to fertilise the plants in your neighbourhood. Just pour the urine at the base of any plant that looks like it could do with some fertiliser. Actually all plants require fertilisation but you could start with the ones whose leaves are thin and yellow. You can also wear a pair of gloves (recommended brand 3M) and use a pair of plant cutters (recommended brand Gardena or Tiger) to do some pruning in which case you need to bring along a large black trash bag with you.

I call the above "'midnight gardening". I've been doing it in my estate for the last 2 years and the plants look great! You can "adopt" a few plants and spend more time fertilising and pruning and even weeding the area around the plants you have "adopted" i.e. your favourite plants.

As far as I know, I'm the only one in Singapore doing this. Hopefully this will inspire more of you to join me in caring for the flora in your neighbourhood, wherever you are in Singapore.

Just as there are animal lovers feeding the stray cats in the neighbourhood, there should also be gardening enthusiasts like us feeding the surrounding plants with our urine which doesn't cost a single cent to produce. Urine is rich in nitrogen, and contains elements, minerals and trace elements vital for healthy plant growth.

This is my plant tumblr by the way, do enjoy: https://singapore-gardener.tumblr.com/

Great! I love gardening too..! I had checked your tumblr. May I know what is the name of the heart-shaped vines?

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:20 PM, lookseelooksee said:

Hi, I would like to share a way in which all gardening enthusiasts can greatly boost the plants in your neighbourhood without spending a single cent.

Get a few large, clean, empty plastic bottles e.g. 1.5 litre mineral water bottle. Pee into the bottle instead of the toilet bowl (you can save water and money by not having to flush). Store your pee in the bottle. When you have stored up a few bottles of urine, look for an opportunity at night (after midnight and before dawn) to bring your bottles of urine to fertilise the plants in your neighbourhood. Just pour the urine at the base of any plant that looks like it could do with some fertiliser. Actually all plants require fertilisation but you could start with the ones whose leaves are thin and yellow. You can also wear a pair of gloves (recommended brand 3M) and use a pair of plant cutters (recommended brand Gardena or Tiger) to do some pruning in which case you need to bring along a large black trash bag with you.

I call the above "'midnight gardening". I've been doing it in my estate for the last 2 years and the plants look great! You can "adopt" a few plants and spend more time fertilising and pruning and even weeding the area around the plants you have "adopted" i.e. your favourite plants.

As far as I know, I'm the only one in Singapore doing this. Hopefully this will inspire more of you to join me in caring for the flora in your neighbourhood, wherever you are in Singapore.

Just as there are animal lovers feeding the stray cats in the neighbourhood, there should also be gardening enthusiasts like us feeding the surrounding plants with our urine which doesn't cost a single cent to produce. Urine is rich in nitrogen, and contains elements, minerals and trace elements vital for healthy plant growth.

Looksee, u don't just looksee woh

u really can grow! based on your tumbler , u even grow star fruit and brinjal?

wat is the name of this? https://singapore-gardener.tumblr.com/post/167694667159 and how about this? https://singapore-gardener.tumblr.com/post/156486797674

(next time if u put in Chinese terms, I think u will have more pp coming to your tumbler too)

u r incharge of a residential area garden?

U r just like clickclock, but I m not sure why he bcame so quiet nowadays?

I m for sure against animal feeding

I was so appalled when  u mentioned about the midnite gardening method, I start to worry that this plant seller has something to do w u, or his plants are all grown by using your method(though u claimed  u r the one and only using that method)

https://www.facebook.com/midnightgarden001/

in case anyone knew why are  these called living stones?

and what r these exactly?

as well as some of the latest trends in planting

4 minutes ago, blowmenow said:

I am newbie to gardening

just bought 2 pots of orchid

the next day, one of the leaf turned yellowish

wat did I do wrong? or din do right? 

anyone can help?

thanks!

Blowme

Orchid is very tough to breed and maintain, it takes a lot of patience and to the extent once it is deflower, u just chuck it oneside (sharing by other tai tais living in houses w garden when we are doing purchasing for flowers and plants) too much water too little water it doesn't like it, too much this or too little that It cant take it too

even the florist told us to dump it once the flower is down

but if your pot of orchid turned yellowish in 1 day time is too fast!!!!
Yours is charcoal or soil-based???
I don't wish to assume and there are so many experts in this forum , but did u  put it under direct sunlight?

@bluerunner, gd try! but nt ez

some may not like short cuts or kits , nevertheless I find this so amazing

there are also schs procured this as a form of science proj for students to take home to monitor the growth

maybe gd for those w/o green fingers? http://www.shrooms.sg/our_product/grow_kit
I find it so convenient, when the parents kids and my frens will harvest them after 6 days for mushrm soup!!! so fascinating and rewarding (u don't have to wait and be disappointed by  something turn out to b infertile)

11 hours ago, blowmenow said:

I am newbie to gardening

just bought 2 pots of orchid

the next day, one of the leaf turned yellowish

wat did I do wrong? or din do right? 

anyone can help?

thanks!

More or less, all plants sustain damage being transported or transplanted.

Not to mention nowadays, hybrids and durians hormone induced to flower and bear fruits.

Ask yourself first how much you are willing to pay for the growing environment, including artificial sun-light first.

@-Ignored-

its charcoal based... it was transported in a bus for 5 hour journey before reaching home

I left it at a corner which I thought to be safe from direct sunlight

but when I came home after work, I noticed that it was hit buy direct sunlight at certain angle.

so I quickly shift it again

so its caused by direct sunlight?

my poor baby...

Edited by blowmenow

7 hours ago, wilfgene said:

More or less, all plants sustain damage being transported or transplanted.

Not to mention nowadays, hybrids and durians hormone induced to flower and bear fruits.

Ask yourself first how much you are willing to pay for the growing environment, including artificial sun-light first.

orchid need artificial sun light?

43 minutes ago, blowmenow said:

@-Ignored-

its charcoal based... it was transported in a bus for 5 hour journey before reaching home

I left it at a corner which I thought to be safe from direct sunlight

but when I came home after work, I noticed that it was hit buy direct sunlight at certain angle.

so I quickly shift it again

so its caused by direct sunlight?

my poor baby...

Aiyo, poor thing
u must have travelled all the way either to JB or one of the far-away-land farms in sg (we shd all know where)??? next time don't bother....

when u said in that corner, I hope it is not total darkness, I always placed it somewhat near window (1m or 1.5m away)  but not direct sunlight

I saw neighbours placed them outside  ie corridor, bound to have sunlight

Phalaenopsis or dendrobium type?

if it is Pha (suitable for beginners like u and me) : then more suitable for indoor as the needed Light: Phalaenopsis will flourish indoors under normal lighting conditions, with indirect sunlight being the most advantageous. (or half day filtered kind )Caution should be used when placing a Phalaenopsis in direct sunlight due to the fact that its leaves burn easily from too much exposure to the sun.

Water: Water often enough to keep continuous moisture just below the surface of the medium, but be cautious of over-watering. Watering once a week is normally sufficient to keep your plant healthy and happy.

Feeding: Good results may be obtained by using a high-nitrogen fertilizer year-round at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Feed your plant once a month. In this instance, less is more. So be sure not to overdo it. hence goat manure will be good enugh

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/goat-manure-fertilizer.htm

As mentioned earlier, florist said don't bother about reblooming and even if u wish to try, chuck it oneside but again not under direct sunlight

From your description, likely due to the direct sunlight, but do take some photos of the orchid and show us

don't spend time blowing, talk to the plant instead

blowmenow, have u been doing all these plantings or is it very recently then u start cultivating this hobby?

Regd to one of the response above:

so long there are some form of lighting inside your house even at the void deck/corridor of a HDB flat, there should be some form of lighting right?

I don't think artificial light is an issue at all

basic type of orchids: the real expert in flowers shd comment, I m just summarizing from my research:

Phalaenopsis : big leaves at only bottom, and larger petals

Dendrobium : a lot of leaves grow along its stems, though mostly tend to b small petals

pls note that they can be hybrid too

v small petals , r usu the yellow: Tropical Orchids - Oncidium

for those into new hybrid, and some keep going to the gardens by the bay as family outing, not sure why though

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/new-orchid-blooms-in-warm-cool-climates

"Orchids take a very long time to grow. That's why they say that when you start breeding them, you have to be young," Ms Lim quipped that it was good that Dendrobium orchids takes"only" two to three years, compared with some hybrids from the Vanda or Aranda groups, which can take up to seven years to mature and flower.

17 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

Phalaenopsis or dendrobium type?

if it is Pha (suitable for beginners like u and me) : then more suitable for indoor as the needed Light: Phalaenopsis will flourish indoors under normal lighting conditions, with indirect sunlight being the most advantageous. (or half day filtered kind )Caution should be used when placing a Phalaenopsis in direct sunlight due to the fact that its leaves burn easily from too much exposure to the sun.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/goat-manure-fertilizer.htm

As mentioned earlier, florist said don't bother about reblooming and even if u wish to try, chuck it oneside but again not under direct sunlight

From your description, likely due to the direct sunlight, but do take some photos of the orchid and show us

don't spend time blowing, talk to the plant instead

blowmenow, have u been doing all these plantings or is it very recently then u start cultivating this hobby?

thanks @-Ignored-

very helpful tips

its dendrobium hybrid

I just started this as hobby recently

so far the poor plants dun do well under my care

I guess I shd reli spend more time with them.. lol

goat manure dun smell?

orchid.png

orchid2.png

@blowmenow, I can see the conditions of leaves, but why no flowers/petal in the pic at all??

but it is really pitiful, i m sorry to see that the leaves turned such colour and one is even bent/curled? and  w black dots?(your case is like Heidi's , do follow her heard secret formula!! it works! http://heidiinthegarden.blogspot.sg/2016/07/convincing-orchid-to-rebloom.html which is why i said must listen to those tai tais and aunties like them, but it took 3 yrs har)

how do u even know it is a hybrid dendro? wow!!!

goat manure don't smell, i provided a link right?

Pha/Phalaenopsis (aka MOTH)-also my fav (also fav activities with kids/nephews) is the most ez esp i m not sure do u have green fingers?

fertilised once a week (after u water it 1 day later) : this video is by an expert in the only rainforest in America
black pot for pha cos it needs more moisture

as u know some supermarket and wet markets do sell cut orchids or potted (non charcoal) orchid too, but I usu pref soil-based on my table top if not freshly cut , can have a variety mah

#1: Place them in a cool environment.

#2: Spray water mist on the leaves and a little on the potting media when the potting media feels dry to the touch. Avoid drenching the potting media with water.

they said don't pour water from top, don't spray on the flowers woh

only when u need it to bloom then need direct sunlight(few hours only), if not a cool env is preferred

& orchids are AIR plant

Enjoy!

and sometimes the farm will go to hortpark to sell or display, no need to travel all the way up pls

http://www.tohgarden.com/others/gardens-day-nov-2017/
U do know that during festive seasons like CNY, the farms will go to areas like orchards or the malls to sell (of course they sell other festive plants and not just orchard)
doesn't come cheap but save u the 5hrs travelling to and fro!!!

5 hours ago, lookseelooksee said:

I'm bad with plant names so I can't answer your questions as to the names of the plants in my tumblr https://singapore-gardener.tumblr.com/. I can speak and write Chinese reasonably well, but being English-educated, if I don't know the names in English, I lagi don't know the names in Chinese.

The plants are my personal plants as I live in a condo with a large rooftop garden.

No, I am not the chap in the Facebook page you have indicated, neither do I know him or her.

q funny!! but good to learn that so many urban farmers NOW

but your condo management let u guys grow on that rooftop? who control and do the maintence????????

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, bluerunner said:

Did anyone here grow Gerbera from seeds and have good results?

i sowed the seeds (a full packet of ~40seeds?) about 1month back and until now, I only have 3 very minute leaves showing up. I do not see much growth after that. 

:mellow:

Some tips from : https://www.thespruce.com/plants-with-daisy-like-flowers-2539985 (Gerberas prefer full sun spaces with loose soil that drains well)

also to learn how to differentiate daisies, Gerbera from sunflowers, I noticed some don't know how to distinguish

Consult the urban farmer group, anyway in it,

Seah Teng Teng " Too much water cannot!.Mine put near to the balcony with direct sunlight about 2-3 hours. I water it once every 2- 3 days" (but she didn't grow them from Seedlings)

Yours have very tiny leaves is better w nothing, be patient

This will inspired the rest: using his planted fruits onto his cakes, from grapes to berries to pumpkin , strawberries (the 2nd case is a lady from novice to someone who doesn't even like gardening

http://www.channel8news.sg/news8/ca/morningexpress/episodes/ca20171122-sgsurprise/3890812.html#.WhZaswT4Fpk.facebook

Edited by lovehandle

Learning from u mah

ya everyone will b asking what s that for????

so long it s abt the topics i liked i will tend to reply fast

and so u cooked and eat those fruits and vege you planted(even herbs could b used for soup and healing purposes too)??!

are they planted organically or just normal?

1 minute ago, bluerunner said:

I may have to re-plan my Gerbera. 

Oh well... let’s see. 

Great to hear! Blue

looksee 

then plant for wat??? Extra oxygen, u r nt at home all the time and reason why pp r now into planting is cos we wanna do a sustainable env/resource

even natural fertilizer has certain component , u shd knw so.... b it those food u purchased or u ate outside r all from...........

1 minute ago, lookseelooksee said:

No, I don't eat anything that I grow.

The only fertiliser I use is urine.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, lookseelooksee said:

Thanks for following my plant blog https://singapore-gardener.tumblr.com/.

Don't over-water your orchids. Over-watering where the roots don't have a chance to dry out results in root rot and perhaps leaf rot as well.

You need to fertilise your orchids. The rule for orchids is "weakly, weekly". In other words, fertilise with a weak fertiliser once a week. I would advise you to use urine mixed with water in the ratio 1:1. Store your urine in a bottle. Mix it with an equal part of water and use that to fertilise your orchids.

Last of all, make sure your orchids get enough sun. I would advise three-quarters sun i.e. somewhere between semi-sun and full-sun. If there is not enough sun, the orchids won't flower. If there is too much sun, the leaves will burn.

thanks for sharing! I will definitely try weekly urine fertilising

everywhere should have goat manure, even NTUC if your outlet sells plant too

the goat manure is for the orchids, if not I would not have mentioned it for u too

eeeee blowmenow don't urine lah,  I just realised u r in Penang? (no wonder u seemed to have issue finding those but isn't msia having more of such bigger farms of such) it should have cooler weather if u nearer to the hillside
and u didn't even clarify about your 5hours , u were totally quiet abt it when I mentioned those sg areas

Now I start to pict everything, pls explicitly state your area so that I can comment accordingly, i pref pp who point it out to me

21 minutes ago, blowmenow said:

@-Ignored-

thanks! I will try the weekly 20-min water immersion

ya I just read the advantage of using goat manure

I wonder it works for orchids too?

by the way, the question is where to get it...

6 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

everywhere should have goat manure, even NTUC if your outlet sells plant too

the goat manure is for the orchids, if not I would not have mentioned it for u too

eeeee blowmenow don't urine lah,  I just realised u r in Penang? (no wonder u seemed to have issue finding those but isn't msia having more of such bigger farms of such) it should have cooler weather if u nearer to the hillside
and u didn't even clarify about your 5hours , u were totally quiet abt it when I mentioned those sg areas

Now I start to pict everything, pls explicitly state your area so that I can comment accordingly, i pref pp who point it out to me

Sorry @-Ignored-

I was not hiding anything

I bought the orchids when I was visiting Kuala Lumpur, transported them back to penang on a bus

I din clarify those places u mentioned because I am not sure of those places myself

My apologies for the confusion

In fact its ok to tell me about wat u have in Sg, I love to know more

3 minutes ago, blowmenow said:

Sorry @-Ignored-

I was not hiding anything

I bought the orchids when I was visiting Kuala Lumpur, transported them back to penang on a bus

I din clarify those places u mentioned because I am not sure of those places myself

My apologies for the confusion

In fact its ok to tell me about wat u have in Sg, I love to know more

it is cos when I mentioned NTUC, u must be puzzling what? a trade Union has to do with planting ?

Penang don't have orchids?

Could u show  us the conditions of the petals now?

1 minute ago, -Ignored- said:

it is cos when I mentioned NTUC, u must be puzzling what? a trade Union has to do with planting ?

Penang don't have orchids?

Could u show  us the conditions of the petals now?

I happened to see these orchids in KL at very cheap price, so I bought

of course penang got sell orchids too

hmmm... probably shd not have bought in KL and bring all the way to penang, silly me

I bought the one without flowers

the stem and leaves look very big and healthy, dats why I bought

another small plant is with flower buds but not flowering yet

In case that all of u dont know how vegies r grown b it in china or since the days where sg has alot of farmland (chicken manure comes free cos many reared chicken toi)

Nearly Everything is grown by animal/human manure

china(rural area in the 80s) even collected what is “deposited” at the toilet and then channel them out thru a “slide”

attached is a famous fb grp on urban farmers who grow all sort of veggies, fruits, chillies and plants (human intelligent)

the fb posting suggested “fish water” ie used fish tank of freshwater fish(nt seawater type) joined this fb grp, it s hitting 20k soon

https://m.facebook.com/groups/100603456759210

this website talks abt rabbit manure etc n it s on the topic of top organic fertilisers

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/tips-recipes-for-homemade-organic-fertilizer/

we shd spend time learning where our fd come from too!!!! Eg fd chain.... nt just on sex!!! Muahahahahaha

DBC5206F-EEF2-422F-A643-A109E2AD2707.jpeg

7 hours ago, blowmenow said:

I happened to see these orchids in KL at very cheap price, so I bought

of course penang got sell orchids too

hmmm... probably shd not have bought in KL and bring all the way to penang, silly me

I bought the one without flowers

the stem and leaves look very big and healthy, dats why I bought

another small plant is with flower buds but not flowering yet

Bought the one w buds is gd so that u can see them flower soon

but nt sure why do u get the one w/o??

And usu big leaves shd b Phalaenopsis

looking at your photo, as u claimed, it s indeed dendrobium! But Phalae shd hve much bigger leaf.....

u do know orchid is nt ez to reflower right?

anyway something christmasy for xmas!!!

- https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/permalink/931524393667108/

need to join before u could view

8 hours ago, lookseelooksee said:

I have tried eating the edible plants that I grow e.g. starfruit, but most of the time they taste horrible. I suppose my hot rooftop does not provide ideal growing conditions for potted plants.

True, those who tasted said they trial and error several rounds before they got the taste rt

incld the chinese video link i posted abv, so b it starfruit or grapes, they hve to keep doing.....

but in sg, many incld some hotels also do it at rooftop cos space a constraint!

did u try providing a shade for them? Better....

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:11 AM, -Ignored- said:

Bought the one w buds is gd so that u can see them flower soon

but nt sure why do u get the one w/o??

And usu big leaves shd b Phalaenopsis

looking at your photo, as u claimed, it s indeed dendrobium! But Phalae shd hve much bigger leaf.....

u do know orchid is nt ez to reflower right?

anyway something christmasy for xmas!!!

- https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/permalink/931524393667108/

need to join before u could view

I like the thrill of waiting for the vegetative part toform flower buds... haha...

ya I know they dun reflower easily

thanks for all the tips!  :)

I wish I have your patience

once my petals/flowers whither , I dumped it immed

I wish u r around,can donate them to u!

but do share their photos when they flowered again , k? follow this thread

I don't know the exact Chinese wordings: but “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”Chinese Proverb

for those thinking of startg gardening as a hobby or to improve on your green fingers

and 'To see things in the seed, that is genius'

sadly just only the few of us communicating, the real expert in this forum has gone quiet!!!

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

so boring, no1 discussing

anyone of u into carnivorous plants?

Find them intriguing, but they need moist, shady habitats with food i.e. insects! ...Would need to water regularly...troublesome, no?