Male HQ

Average Salary To Live Comfortably In Singapore

Guest QQ

2 hours ago, Guest Kopitiam Uncle said:

Take it from me. Earning less than 2k but living simply and happily. What's up with you people?!?

You know many people who died unhappily might just have lived happily once before too,  right? But that's usually before reality smack them hard on their faces. 

• 5 months later...
Guest For banks
4 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Anyone know how much should a HR executive average salary should be, if the person is in 40s with a degree?

HR Executive as in senior HR position? HR Head of a country of business division around $250k. Regional Head more like above $350k. If with Investment Bank or Private Bank.... name a figure!

• 4 months later...
Guest Example

I will not reveal my salary here but I can share my monthly expenses.

$320 - HDB loan (cash portion, the monthly CPF portion is $950)

$385 - Renovation loan (I took $20k, BF took $30k, his is a separate loan, so $385 is my portion)

$500 - Give to mum

$550 - food

$150 - transport

$250 - 2 internet and 3 mobile lines (1 internet and 1 phone is for mum)

$85 - own house utilities

$47 - conservancy charges for my house (round up for future increase)

$120 - once a week house cleaning (shared with BF, so total is $240 per month, meaning $60 per week, for 4 hours)

$300 - private hospitalisation rider insurance + critical illness insurance + accident insurance

$50 - movies

So my total monthly expenditure is $2757, not counting in other possible entertainment expenses yet as those are not fixed and may not happen, these are the permanent fixed expenses. 

I will compare with other monthly expenses.

$0     - HDB loan transfer bonus and fixed deposit to clear the big debt of 2.5% interest rate.

$0     - Personal loan pay by installment clear

$500 - Give to parent

$200 - food from hawker abf skip lunch and dinner only

$30   - transport on weekend, walk to work as exercise

$26   - $6 internet from mum senior privelge and $20 mysim20  mobile lines 

$85  - own house utilities

$0   - once a week house cleaning own self do and force lover to do

$0    - private hospitalisation rider insurance + critical illness insurance + accident insurance

$10  -  2 movies per mth

My aim to reduce debt, let parent stay with me to cut down living expense to half and volunteer fund.

Guest Guest
On 14 February 2017 at 10:47 AM, Guest For banks said:

HR Executive as in senior HR position? HR Head of a country of business division around $250k. Regional Head more like above $350k. If with Investment Bank or Private Bank.... name a figure!

Normal HR executive in a company.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, Guest Example said:

I will not reveal my salary here but I can share my monthly expenses.

$320 - HDB loan (cash portion, the monthly CPF portion is $950)

$385 - Renovation loan (I took $20k, BF took $30k, his is a separate loan, so $385 is my portion)

$500 - Give to mum

$550 - food

$150 - transport

$250 - 2 internet and 3 mobile lines (1 internet and 1 phone is for mum)

$85 - own house utilities

$120 - once a week house cleaning (shared with BF, so total is $240 per month, meaning $60 per week, for 4 hours)

$300 - private hospitalisation rider insurance + critical illness insurance + accident insurance

$50 - movies

So my total monthly expenditure is $2757, not counting in other possible entertainment expenses yet as those are not fixed and may not happen, these are the permanent fixed expenses. 

good to see someone so filial

• 1 year later...

I think before we ask what is the IDEAL average amount to live comfortably in Singapore, the right thing to do is FIRST DEFINE what is considered LIVING COMFORTABLY in general. No use getting ahead of ourselves when we have not lay down the standards first before thinking of a figure in our head.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest ghiirleelo
4 hours ago, Guest Neil said:

I’m getting an average of 2400 sgd a month and I can say that I live a comfortable life.

Do you live in A home that no one pays bank loan. you live with parents or someone who outright owns their home ?

Guest High expectations

For gay men if you don't earn at least $4k per month (not gross salary) by 30 you are classified a failure. At least double that amount by 40 to live comfortably for retirement.

• 2 months later...
Guest Well Balanced
On 9/8/2018 at 11:16 AM, Guest - J - said:

Getting about 12K a month. Have about everything I need, but no partner because I am an introvert.

Fair enough, look ugly (highly suspect because no bf), but high pay. Very well compensated.

On 9/8/2018 at 11:16 AM, Guest - J - said:

Getting about 12K a month. Have about everything I need, but no partner because I am an introvert.

my friend who earns that amount has reached the peak if his earnings and finds that he cant climb furtherup .

so he moves horizontally picking up new skills and challenges.

also at that earnings level and you are mid management. cannibalism happens and you are ripe for the big R If u move into mid forties.

10 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

So it means most people in sg salary is $4400 now?

the other half is still lower than that

the upper half is higher than that (but we dont know their citizenship status eg new Sporean?, their years of experience , type of jobscope etc)
How many are earning 20K per mth? easily can assume though, most are easily below that

it is not professional to compare apples  w oranges

5 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

the other half is still lower than that

the upper half is higher than that (but we dont know their citizenship status eg new Sporean?, their years of experience , type of jobscope etc)
How many are earning 20K per mth? easily can assume though, most are easily below that

it is not professional to compare apples  w oranges

You mean if your salary is more than $4400 means you are consider high earner?

But this $4400 also never say what is the age of the person. Example if a person less than 30 year old earned $4400 consider high earner but if a person is already 40 year old and more earned $4400 might be consider quite low salary.

I know of one job, where you can earn close to $12,000 a month , just by lying down and opening the legs wide, and moan like an academy award winning actress,  to earn that amount you must have some prequisites, 

First, you must have fair ,tofu like skin, you must not smoke and have fox like body odor, 

You must have marathon and sprinters stamina to run at any BMW, JAGUAR, BENZ S300,S500,S600 , PORSCHE, VOLVO, LEXUS, BENTLEY, MASERATI  that goes cruising in Geylang, 

You must have a portable office and place of business that you carry with you all the time which is the body, the office is open 24 hours, minus 1 hour to sleep , eat, and body fuctions and cleansing, 

You must have an oyster that can swallow and shoot ping pong balls, some say skillful enough to swallow razor blades and spit it out without drawing blood, 

You also must work on weekends and public holidays , its the busiest periods for you, 

Usually , you get fed by the clients at expensive restaurants before clients commence the horizontal cha cha and tango.

And best of all, your income is tax free, 100%.

But you may need to pay some protection money.

SO , do you have a golden oyster,  like  Sandra Ng in HONGKONG GOLDEN CHICKEN.

Neither , some situation we dont use mean 
And age is Never a consideration (an Uncle or granny born in the 60s may be uneducated , very old NOW, just by doing a waiter or maid role)
We have to look at jobscope
My friends and i have been facing a paycut (& we are not talking a few hundreds, there is nothing to cry for a few hundreds) - few thousands......so the survey has again nothing to do w age (no such thing as 4K is too low for a 40yo and above, u looked at the JD and the scope)
It is mentioned 

i agree w globe , it is not as simple as what some of u seemed (in all surveys, in all statistics there bound to be outliers)
THe article i have attached clearly mentioned "incld employer contribution" https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/average-salary-2018-singapore-median-income-employment-10979844?cid=fbcna&fbclid=IwAR0TVBNgWbOgL66mRuwTNYXZmUqLC2k2YPFm06VBVAE5aRHVHvTsZKPX9Jw
but Repressed , it doesnt incld benefits, some benefits are hard to quantify, cos not all will claim dental, not all will have holiday benefits
Of course OT are added, OT are wages
so the salary is about S$3700-3800 + employer contribution = Median Salary

Even if u deduct away the Employee's contribution from the 3700-3800, u r getting close to S$3K-2900 (disposable income and btw, usu lower income dont get much tax esp u bring in all the concession and tax rebates)
(not 2k, 2k is way tOO out)  If our median disposable salary is 2K-2100, we are a very poor NATION!!! 2k in this era is useless esp in a high cost of living Sg

which is why they are implementing something for the lowest 20th percentile

& i specifically mentioned  nearly half of it is below that median wage mah, half is a lot! 

To me time is definitely money, after adding all the time spent at the custom, travelling all the way to JB (agreeing w Fairprice abv)
some peak period timing is not feasible to working adults , even if u r VERY available running to JB for those massage, that doesnt mean your friends and family are able too
ended up i rem i paid for more than RM $18 for a ticket @ jb
and every tues , even at nite, GV mbrs paid for just S$6.50 per cinema ticket , so long u get to plan it out an after-work timing

2 hours ago, repressednerd said:

Some people said that median salary is inclusive of employer’s CPF contribution and monetary equivalent of general employee benefits. So probably the true disposable salary might just be a 2.

Those jobs like "fed by the clients at expensive restaurants before clients commence the ...." are Not tracked by the survey
All figures not tracked by IRAS or CPF contributed  are not included

For those who wish to know more about the employment statistics
if u r a Robot, recruitment opportunities wil be much better
Why the departure of Uber has no impact on unemployment? is not cos Grab has took over them 

but more of such drivers have their own business too or sidelines

THey are NOT exactly full time drivers! eg my relatives and friends sell other products or do project-based assignments besides working for Grab/uber/taxis
so if Uber go bkrupt, the drivers might not

13 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Nope, 1 ceo 20k and 1 cleaner 1k, can we say average salary is 10.5k?

This is the mean, not the median. I think we can still take 4.4k as the average earning people are getting.

10 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

Neither , some situation we dont use mean 
And age is Never a consideration (an Uncle or granny born in the 60s may be uneducated , very old NOW, just by doing a waiter or maid role)
We have to look at jobscope
My friends and i have been facing a paycut (& we are not talking a few hundreds, there is nothing to cry for a few hundreds) - few thousands......so the survey has again nothing to do w age (no such thing as 4K is too low for a 40yo and above, u looked at the JD and the scope)
It is mentioned 

i agree w globe , it is not as simple as what some of u seemed (in all surveys, in all statistics there bound to be outliers)
THe article i have attached clearly mentioned "incld employer contribution" https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/average-salary-2018-singapore-median-income-employment-10979844?cid=fbcna&fbclid=IwAR0TVBNgWbOgL66mRuwTNYXZmUqLC2k2YPFm06VBVAE5aRHVHvTsZKPX9Jw
but Repressed , it doesnt incld benefits, some benefits are hard to quantify, cos not all will claim dental, not all will have holiday benefits
Of course OT are added, OT are wages
so the salary is about S$3700-3800 + employer contribution = Median Salary

Even if u deduct away the Employee's contribution from the 3700-3800, u r getting close to S$3K-2900 (disposable income and btw, usu lower income dont get much tax esp u bring in all the concession and tax rebates)
(not 2k, 2k is way tOO out)  If our median disposable salary is 2K-2100, we are a very poor NATION!!! 2k in this era is useless esp in a high cost of living Sg

which is why they are implementing something for the lowest 20th percentile

& i specifically mentioned  nearly half of it is below that median wage mah, half is a lot! 

To me time is definitely money, after adding all the time spent at the custom, travelling all the way to JB (agreeing w Fairprice abv)
some peak period timing is not feasible to working adults , even if u r VERY available running to JB for those massage, that doesnt mean your friends and family are able too
ended up i rem i paid for more than RM $18 for a ticket @ jb
and every tues , even at nite, GV mbrs paid for just S$6.50 per cinema ticket , so long u get to plan it out an after-work timing

Those jobs like "fed by the clients at expensive restaurants before clients commence the ...." are Not tracked by the survey
All figures not tracked by IRAS or CPF contributed  are not included

So given what -Ignored- mentioned , it means that 4.4k is overall per month, 3.7-3.8k is the gross pay and the net pay should 2.9-3k, which is much likely true...

10 hours ago, jackie said:

This is the mean, not the median. I think we can still take 4.4k as the average earning people are getting.

So given what -Ignored- mentioned , it means that 4.4k is overall per month, 3.7-3.8k is the gross pay and the net pay should 2.9-3k, which is much likely true...

I don't think most people now are earning around 3.7-3.8k gross pay. Look at how most people are spending, all seems to earn quite a high salary. All at least like what the median suggest 4.4k.

8 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

i dont think the ANS is MOST ...... (really have to read into the definition of Median)

The median of the salary is not accurate and reflect what most people are earning.

The whole issue is not just abt median, as near to 50% are below that figure 

Why the MOST powerful agent cannot help? yet spend so much time talking about asking citizens not to highlight Elitism ??
https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2018/11/30/former-gic-chief-economist-questions-chan-chun-sings-apparent-downplaying-of-govts-actual-role-in-alleviating-socioeconomic-inequality/?fbclid=IwAR39U6QFTfkYvBn6FnHwjy86uQDR-zgLoa22ufClxu26idK2-RvPOoRfXLM
this article raised many interesting facts esp one has headed NTUC and .... 
MSF....
The title of this thread is whether can we live reasonably , i seriously dont think so for those retrenched and those in the bottom

We know the "other half" is above the median
Many are rich till selling even before it is fully constructed:
it is not 1 such sellers out of the whole apartment/condo, u know that
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/sub-sale-what-property-sellers-and-buyers-need-to-know-99-co-10981008?cid=fbcna&fbclid=IwAR3M22iDHWC3ieFVq2FdcVQG1WuCneiHk5mFVo44JVY00lec-AHRsklXMh8

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2016 at 11:08 AM, Guest Kopitiam Uncle said:

Take it from me. Earning less than 2k but living simply and happily. What's up with you people?!?

If u can be happily with less than 2k, what happen when your love one fall sick?

What happen when your love one fall sick and last for several years?

What happen when your love one fall sick and they suffer because u don't have enough to sustain treatment or to save them? You have to watch them suffer. 

When that happens, r u that still happy with 2k?

My dad gotten cancer 7 years ago, I spend $200,000 saving his life. I bought happiness as he has recovered and in remission and we spend each moment preciously. 

Money can actually buy happiness, it depends what u buy. 

When u made a statement saying that u can be happy with less than 2k, you are only looking for yourself. U did not factor in  the love ones beside you. This is self centered. 

Edited by lohwpr

Guest Big nose
11 hours ago, lohwpr said:

If u can be happily with less than 2k, what happen when your love one fall sick?

What happen when your love one fall sick and last for several years?

What happen when your love one fall sick and they suffer because u don't have enough to sustain treatment or to save them? You have to watch them suffer. 

When that happens, r u that still happy with 2k?

My dad gotten cancer 7 years ago, I spend $200,000 saving his life. I bought happiness as he has recovered and in remission and we spend each moment preciously. 

Money can actually buy happiness, it depends what u buy. 

When u made a statement saying that u can be happy with less than 2k, you are only looking for yourself. U did not factor in  the love ones beside you. This is self centered. 

in  the past, people just die naturally after a long sickness, 

its the natural way of things, 

at least there is still pain relieving meds,

growing old, falling sick , and struggling to live ang get better is inevitable,

Tibetan book of death teaches sentient beings to always prepare for death,

avoiding death creates fear, accepting death will calm you down.

there is always self determination.

In australia , old folks who have had enough of life and pain , decides to go to mexico on a sunny hoilday , and never go back standing to oz, they go back in a wooden box , 

and some Make sure they max out their credit cards before they say bye bye.

remember that US lady that jumped from the Raffles city ...

Lol

• 2 months later...

My mom’s annual hospitalization insurance is already nearly $10K & mine is around $6K. Plus  other expenses listed above by the other members (allowance to mom, housing loan, other insurance, own expenses etc), I cannot imagine how much one has to earn will be  considered as enough & when can one ever not be at the mercy of his employer.  Only way out is either strike lottery, doing own business or investment.

Savings from employment is definitely not the answer! 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.