Male HQ

Hot/Cute Guys Reactivated (images ONLY) + Yahoo's #Fitspo series - TikTok & Twitter are not allowed! (Please read the first post for instructions)

sphere

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Royce Lee: 'Fitness is not like a phase to me. It is more like a lifestyle' (29 Apr 2024)

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Royce Lee is a host and content creator. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Royce Lee is a host and content creator. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Name: Royce Lee (@theroycelee)

Height: 1.68m

Weight: 60kg

Food: I follow a high protein diet, but it’s so hard to avoid carbs. I still love my noodles, pasta and bread. I usually drink no sugar added soya bean after I work out. If it’s bubble tea, I have no milk, no sugar, no pearls. I love the taste of nothing!

Exercise: I try to exercise five to six times a week if my schedule allows. If my schedule gets busier in the week, I’ll increase the intensity on the other days when I can make it. I will focus on weights training and for cardio, I’ll do inclined walk. My formula would be 15 incline, 4.0 speed and 30 minutes.

Q: When you were younger, were you active in sports?

A: When I was in primary and secondary school, I was in drama club – no surprise. Then I competed in swimming for two years in junior college, and I represented the school team for nationals. In university, I went back to the arts. That was actually when I first started hosting, as a freshman. It’s been 12 years since I started.

Royce's passion for fitness grew during the COVID-19 circuit-breaker period.
Royce's passion for fitness grew during the COVID-19 circuit-breaker period. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

What made you decide to engage a personal trainer (PT)?

During the pandemic, my good friend Hazelle recommended me her PT, Lucas from FITLUC, and we started with home-based online PT sessions. I think my love for fitness grew when we all couldn’t go out during the COVID-19 circuit-breaker period. Everyone’s into some sort of HIIT (high-intensity interval training) from YouTube because there’s simply nothing you can do.

Then during the heightened alert, I started to hike. I know MacRitchie and Bukit Timah very well now. I think having the support from your group of friends is very important. When everyone has the common interest of keeping fit, you will remind one another it’s time for the next workout.

What made you decide to commit to a physical transformation?

I started working out, but of course diet is 70 per cent, exercise 30 per cent. It took a while for me to realise this. I was skinny fat for a while, because I didn’t control what I eat. I would eat and drink whatever I want – thinking metabolism is still on my side.

Then one day I realised I could see my belly bulge from my shirt in one of my street interview videos because of the wind blowing in the opposite direction. That’s when I decided, you know what, I’m going to commit to a diet that is sustainable and see where this fitness regime takes me.

I tried the ketogenic diet for two weeks and I felt so light-headed after that, I had to stop. It’s not for everyone. Find a diet that suits you and in my case it’s a high protein diet. I didn’t notice the difference at first but it was my friends around me who asked me if I lost weight and that my arms looked more defined that I realised maybe the physical transformation is really happening.

What were some of the biggest challenges during this transformation?

The biggest challenge for me was really the diet. It was so hard for me to reduce the carbs. Sugar was quite easy for me to cut out cause I don’t really have a sweet tooth. I only eat desserts during gatherings or if I really had a long day at work.

Royce finds reducing carbs in his diet to be the biggest challenge.
Royce finds reducing carbs in his diet to be the biggest challenge. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

But once you get used to less carbs and no sugar, it will be much easier. You will start to take note of what food options you can eat near your workplace.

What kind of comments did you receive as a result of this transformation?

Most people commented about how I look a lot skinnier. I mean, omg how fat was I before?! But thank you. Many asked for my tips and fitness regime, to which I will tell them to do weights training and inclined walk. I stopped running for a while because it was quite bad for my knee caps.

What's next now that you've achieved this goal?

My PT always encourages me to bulk up by eating more. Many people might think this is easy it’s eating more clean food, not eating more junk food. I too hope I can slowly achieve this goal of gaining a bit more mass, then start to cut again.

Being in the media industry, is there any pressure to look a certain way?

There’s definitely pressure because we always get random comments in the comment section about the way we look even when it’s like, a food video. Hello, I’m not a model. But in a way, because I’m a video content creator I always want to look my best on camera. At the end of the day, there’s only so much you can do to change your appearance. As long as you are happy with the way you look, it’s good enough.

Your line of work involves a lot of travel and food tastings, so how do you maintain your physique, diet and training?

It depends on where I go. Certain areas may not have access to gyms so I try to do bodyweight exercises in my hotel room. As with food tastings nowadays, I am more selective because I’m also more mindful of what I consume. Make every food count.

Royce also has his own F&B outlet which sells customised healthy wraps and bowls.
Royce also has his own F&B outlet which sells customised healthy wraps and bowls. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

But when I’m not working and have an option to eat more healthily, I will. Also, I’m based at my new F&B place that I’m a co-founder of (@momshug.sg), more often nowadays so I just eat there. We sell customised healthy wraps and bowls.

When you were younger, did you experience any incidents that made you feel insecure about yourself?

Generally, I think I am okay with self-esteem as I tend to brush off negative comments quite easily. When I first started out as a content creator and received my first few comments about how I looked, it stung me more. But I got over it in a few days. Now, I’m like, “Thank you for watching the video!”

I think looking at the glass half full is good. And remember, keyboard warriors will always be keyboard warriors.

Did you ever struggle with your body?

I think because of my love for the stage since young, I’ve been trying to maintain some sort of physique to look my best. It was only when I wanted to transform my body, then I realised how hard it was to unlock the next level. Really kudos to all the gym junkies.

Are you satisfied with your body now?

It always can be better. Fitness is not like a phase to me. It is more like a lifestyle to keep up. Thus, come up with a fitness routine that is sustainable for you, even if it’s just a short 30-minute workout a day.

If you could change anything about yourself, would you?

I would try to be even more disciplined with my diet. Apparently a cheat meal is like, one meal per week, but sometimes I have cheat days (not meals) in a week haha.

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Royce Lee (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)
Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Royce Lee (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Lucas Lim: 'It is important to not attach my self-worth to how I look' (6 May 2024)

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Lucas Lim is an actor/stunt performer.

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Lucas Lim is an actor/stunt performer. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Name: Lucas Lim (@lucasisyourtype)

Height: 1.72m

Weight: 62kg

Food: I avoid eating out and try to meal prep as much as I can. Fortunately, I am not really a foodie and can eat more or less the same thing – rice, chicken thigh and stir-fried vegetables.

Exercise: My first love would be running and I run almost daily and try to clock at least 70km a week in the off-season. I also do various martial arts, and try to include various sessions of boxing and taekwondo three times a week.

For strength, I do enjoy a mix of calisthenics and traditional weights training and try to clock in three to four sessions per week. Between these sessions, I try to work various skills and love outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking and obstacle courses. When I am resting at home, I work on mobility exercises and stretching to increase recovery efficiency.

Lucas took part in cross-country running and floorball during his secondary school days.
Lucas took part in cross-country running and floorball during his secondary school days. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Q: Were you active in sports when you were younger?

A: I was actually quite an overweight kid and it was my older cousins that walked me through my first workout when I visited them overseas at the age of 11. After that month-long trip, I was hooked. I started jogging with my father and he brought me to the gym and at 12, I got my first gold for the National Physical Fitness Award (NAPFA).

In secondary school, I was in both the school's cross-country and floorball team while dancing competitively. I also enjoyed outdoor adventure activities, climbing mountains in Nepal, kayaking, and camping during the school holidays.

What did you get into as you got older?

For a long time, I was dancing four to five times a week and I had to slot my training sessions between rehearsals and classes. However, during national service, I wanted to achieve a perfect score for the Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT) and my training sessions evolved from maintenance to daily runs and multiple strength training sessions per week.

Slowly, it became more than just doing a fast 2.4km. I wanted to break all my personal bests, so I went down the line from 5km all the way to finishing my first full marathon at last year's Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon. I also do taekwondo, muay thai and a bit of gymnastics for both my job and to work towards a holistic fitness programme. My day usually involves two to three workouts due to the multidisciplinary nature of my regime.

How did you become an actor?

I started dancing at a young age so I knew I enjoyed performing. While doing my Mass Communications Diploma in Ngee Ann Polytechnic I took an acting elective. What was meant to be an easy pass became an A and opened my eyes to acting as possibly being a career. After I graduated from polytechnic, I was roped in for a few commercials that needed dancers and that allowed me to better understand the audition and casting process in Singapore, which led to my career today.

Lucas started in the entertainment industry via dancing jobs for commercials, and eventually securing some acting jobs.
Lucas started in the entertainment industry via dancing jobs for commercials, and eventually securing some acting jobs. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

You also specialise in being a stunt performer.

In 2019, I was cast as an antagonist on the Channel 5 long-form drama KIN. I played a scammer and my character's three episode arc climaxed with a fight scene. Peps Goh, the founder of Sandbox Training Ground and Dilon Ho, the founder of tricking group The Hype Tribe, played my henchmen. I had a great time on set and was looking for a way to do more stunts for film. My opportunity came when Peps decided to open a training space and I went for the interview to join the first batch of students.

What are some of the challenges in being an actor?

The biggest one would be the irregular schedule. It makes it difficult to plan training programmes and workouts with training partners. It also affects recovery and nutrition plans as I can't always decide when to eat or sleep. However as a freelancer, I do have the luxury of training during office hours when I am not on set!

Do you feel any pressure to maintain your physique because of your career?

Yes, definitely, but it is part of the job. I am required to portray a character and in order to do so convincingly, I need to look like the character. Plus, being on the stunt side of things, these characters are usually in uniform or have a militant background. However, I have always been more fitness-oriented than looks-focused when it comes to training, the physique is just one of the many rewards of hard training.

Have you experienced any incidents that made you feel insecure about yourself?

Definitely. I have always been performing and I knew that would mean that I was being seen more often than not. There were numerous instances where I had to be in costumes that showed more skin when I felt I wasn't ready or paired with other performers that had bodies of Greek gods.

Lucas came to the realisation that crash diets are not good for his health in the long run.
Lucas came to the realisation that crash diets are not good for his health in the long run. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

I used to crash diet before shows and could go as extreme as a seven-day liquid diet. However, these diets were super unhealthy especially at the intensity I was training at. Over time, I realised that it's not worth risking health for such short-term gains and used these moments as motivation and inspiration to do and be better.

With this pressure I am made to break out of my comfort zone and dial in my numbers such as calorie intake or recovery time, things I usually neglect, to achieve better results.

Did you ever struggle with your body?

Yes, I don't think anyone in our line of work doesn't struggle. It is either a struggle to get bigger, leaner, stronger, faster, or the other way, to get even smaller. I personally struggle with staying lean. As a bigger kid, my metabolic rate is just not what it should be and I am still scrambling to maintain my desired body fat percentage despite running 70km per week. But I personally do enjoy a challenge and honestly, if it wasn't difficult, is it worth doing?

Are you satisfied with your body now?

I don't think that that is the goal. I think the goal is to be in the best shape I can be and not the shape I want to be. I think how I stay so disciplined is to never be satisfied with whatever shape I am in. It drives me to be faster, stronger, more explosive, or whatever I need to be in that season.

However, it is important to not attach my self-worth to how I look. It is a tall order but I realise that when I can focus on the various character traits chasing a better body has given me, such as discipline, determination, follow-through, and resilience and define myself through these things, I am a more confident version of myself.

Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Lucas Lim.
Singapore #Fitspo of the Week Lucas Lim. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)

Edited by sphere