Male HQ

Discussion About Single & Hdb Flat Ownership + Hdb Loan (Compiled)

worldangel

5 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

I do not find buying the 2 room new BTO as a single worth it. I would rather go buy a resale 3 room first, then wait until i am 55 and buy the 2 room flex new BTO. I even can even buy a 2 room in a mature estate.

no money no talk simple

not everyone of use cash rich for resale flat

Guest guest
On 8/6/2023 at 4:56 PM, Guest Guest said:

Anyone silly enough to accept the single housing grant to buy resale HDB are depriving himself of future profit that range from $200k-$350k if he makes another tactical move with the 2 room flexi BTO (99 years) scheme which are reserved for Singapore citizen. Anyone enjoyed any benefit or grant earlier can apply for 2 Room flexi BTO (launched 2013) on maximum 30 years lease.

Apparently someone got stuck in the system and he wrote to the Straits Times's forum page and appealed to HDB to allow him to return the Single Housing Grant received to enable him to apply for the 99 years lease type. 

I still do not understand why HDB penalise and don't allow single to apply for a brand new 2 rm BTO if he/she has taken the single housing grant previously. HDB can just mandate the single to pay back the grant taken if want to apply for a new 2 rm BTO, rather than do not allow the single to apply completely. 

7 hours ago, Guest HDB said:

Fyi, according to the guy who solely runs Eyenet, it will be best to call to fix an appointment as he might be away to run errands or for makan breaks.

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

PSF $$ go up is good only if i selling the flat. Anyway, i have no one to pass down, so no matter how good and popular the location is also doesn't benefit me if i plan to live in that flat until i die.

It's just another option available if you ever need to monetize your flat, that's why some people even when rich buy insurance.

12 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

I still do not understand why HDB penalise and don't allow single to apply for a brand new 2 rm BTO if he/she has taken the single housing grant previously. HDB can just mandate the single to pay back the grant taken if want to apply for a new 2 rm BTO, rather than do not allow the single to apply completely. 

Then it can go into a cycle mah. I buy BTO at 100k, I sell after MOP for 150k, i return grant 20k, profit 30k, I buy another BTO at 100k, the keep profit every 5-10 years. So cannot loh. Buy after 35 2-rm BTO, then 55 got another chance senior 2-rm BTO mature estate.

Never changed, HDB is and has always been for MARRIED STRAIGHT COUPLES.

An interesting bit of news: 

"Singapore will have to adjust its public housing schemes to keep them inclusive, as well as ensure that flats remain accessible and affordable, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in his National Day message on Tuesday (Aug 8). 

Older workers who have not built up enough Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings for retirement could also do with “extra help”, Mr Lee said, adding that he will speak about these issues at the National Day Rally on Aug 20."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/pm-lee-hsien-loong-national-day-message-hdb-housing-schemes-cpf-older-workers-3684956

A licensed gay realtor

15 minutes ago, sayfirst said:

"Singapore will have to adjust its public housing schemes to keep them inclusive, as well as ensure that flats remain accessible and affordable, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in his National Day message on Tuesday (Aug 8). 

Older workers who have not built up enough Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings for retirement could also do with “extra help”, Mr Lee said, adding that he will speak about these issues at the National Day Rally on Aug 20."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/pm-lee-hsien-loong-national-day-message-hdb-housing-schemes-cpf-older-workers-3684956

First paragraph refer to married couple and second paragraph refer to old workers in their 50 and 60. 

Therefore it would still be nothing for single from 35 - 49.

Just hope i m wrong.

22 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Expanding the second-timer subsidy to singles would drive up application rates for new 2-room flats, which already saw a 6.4 application rate by singles in the Feb 2023 BTO exercise.

With greater demand for a 2-room flat, 2-room flats would become more scarce and possibly benefit only people lucky enough to get a successful ballot and patient enough to wait 4 years for the flat to be built.

The onus falls on the buyer to weigh the pros and cons of taking either the new/resale HDB route, and understand how the govt thinks. Allow more demand for 2-room flats which mainly appeal to singles and seniors, or set aside second-timer subsidy for couples to promote marriage and parenthood? It’s their call.

Edited by sayfirst
clarity

A licensed gay realtor

43 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

First paragraph refer to married couple and second paragraph refer to old workers in their 50 and 60. 

Therefore it would still be nothing for single from 35 - 49.

Just hope i m wrong.

Yeah I’m not holding my breath either. I think they call this “cautiously optimistic” nowadays.

A licensed gay realtor

This old uncle living in the same floor keeps looking inside home. Window is along the corridor and, despite me using phone to try record him, to scare him from looking inside home, he still purposely look inside. Dont have ventilation if window is closed. 

Can anyone advise what can be done about this? I dont know why its not common sense to not look inside other peoples home, but this uncle been doing this many times already.

4 hours ago, Guest Ben said:

This old uncle living in the same floor keeps looking inside home. Window is along the corridor and, despite me using phone to try record him, to scare him from looking inside home, he still purposely look inside. Dont have ventilation if window is closed. 

Can anyone advise what can be done about this? I dont know why its not common sense to not look inside other peoples home, but this uncle been doing this many times already.

You can install frosted or one-way mirror window films for privacy, though the windows would then need to be closed for them to work.

If you want to have the windows open for ventilation and your privacy at the same time, you can consider installing venetian blinds that you can adjust to your preference to let some air in. 

Edited by sayfirst
clarity

A licensed gay realtor

8 hours ago, Guest Ben said:

Perhaps you may lodge a police report to seek assistance: https://eservices.police.gov.sg/content/policehubhome/homepage/police-report.html

I used to leave my main door open and only found out in early-2023 that my next-door neighbour's son habitually come over to my front gate & peek into house (after installing a security camera). I spoke to him about it but to no avail. As such, I sought the police assistance to speak to him and now he is no longer doing it.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:33 PM, lonelyglobe said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/hdb-private-property-prices-peaked-resale-market-stabilising-3682596#

Not so good news for seller but definitely a welcome news for buyer 😊

Though sellers need to factor in property replacement costs, their price expectations should be realistic. 

A licensed gay realtor

On 8/7/2023 at 10:29 PM, Guest guest said:

Do you expect no restrictions, no terms and conditions attached after receiving big help from the government?

Guest Cruisy Corridor
On 8/9/2023 at 2:54 AM, Guest Ben said:

The living room of my friend BTO is immediately across from the living room of the neighboring block. He is unable to go around in his underpants or while unclothed because the neighbors on the other side frequently stop to smoke or peek inside one another's homes.  occurred frequently.  Some people can vouch how close the BTO blocks are to each other and even in the kitchen area.

As for corridor window,  you have tonnes of options to maintain airy indoor and still protect your personal privacy. 

windowsss.jpg

windows.jpg

For seclusion, you can leave the upper window open all day and night while covering the lower window.  Beware: your furniture will whirl around if your house faces northeast windy throughout the year unobstructed, and if your upper pane window is opened throughout the day.

You can see outside through some tinted film, but nobody can see you inside.  Once, while I was sleeping and the lights were completely off.  Outside, I overheard a conversation.  Without realizing I could see what they did, an auntie of one of my neighbors and her bf groped and kissed outside my window.  I stayed up late watching the entire activities through my window, hehe. It happened occassionally and I can see the man having hard-on while that Auntie groped his private area.   The benefit of staying in a corridor is the opportunity for such unforeseen adventures. 

Another incidence was a tall guy who attempted to jump and tried to peep through my upper pane open window, but he was unable to do so and gave up.  I observed the entire event and refrained from giggling... hahahaha.  

The most stunning sight was when the Burmese painters chose to take a lunch break and slept outside my long and broad corridor, because it was windy and quiet on the top floor, during their HDB painting maintenance.  I was inside my home, drooling as I admired them and they didn't notice because my window tinted film was black from the outside, but crystal clear from the inside....lol...    I love looking at my neighbour handsome daddy when he walked pass the corridor.

Want more corridor stories...plenty!!! hehehehe....

On 8/8/2023 at 8:21 PM, sayfirst said:

Wonder what will they adjust to the public housing schemes? How it will affect the pricing for resale and new BTO.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:07 PM, sayfirst said:

Expanding the second-timer subsidy to singles would drive up application rates for new 2-room flats, which already saw a 6.4 application rate by singles in the Feb 2023 BTO exercise.

With greater demand for a 2-room flat, 2-room flats would become more scarce and possibly benefit only people lucky enough to get a successful ballot and patient enough to wait 4 years for the flat to be built.

The onus falls on the buyer to weigh the pros and cons of taking either the new/resale HDB route, and understand how the govt thinks. Allow more demand for 2-room flats which mainly appeal to singles and seniors, or set aside second-timer subsidy for couples to promote marriage and parenthood? It’s their call.

Surprisingly until now the demand for 2 rm new BTO still so high. I remember when 2 rm BTO launched in 2013 for single to apply, i have tried applying for many rounds of BTO until i gave up cause not able to get a queue number at all.0

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Do you expect no restrictions, no terms and conditions attached after receiving big help from the government?

Think for couples who got grant from HDB, they are still able to apply for new BTO.

Is this uncle suddenly come look inside your house? How long have you and this uncle staying there? Maybe you can talk to him why he do this and ask him not to do it again.

To protect personal privacy, best is still staying corner unit where there are no windows along the corridor. When buy flat, must insist only buy corner unit to avoid such problem.

25 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Surprisingly until now the demand for 2 rm new BTO still so high. I remember when 2 rm BTO launched in 2013 for single to apply, i have tried applying for many rounds of BTO until i gave up cause not able to get a queue number at all.0

Yes, I was only successful after applying for 12 times.

38 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Demand is one thing,  supply will be the other. How many flat are allocated for single? Priority will always be given to married couple so that they got a place to have sex and reproduce. 

45 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

To protect personal privacy, best is still staying corner unit where there are no windows along the corridor. When buy flat, must insist only buy corner unit to avoid such problem.

Mine is a corner unit with no direct opposite unit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11SRIYKUZn1t5n-DNJx00h4yhHXw25kRI/view?usp=sharing

However, it's also inescapable if you have a troublemaker like my next-door neighbour.

Guest Priority is key
1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Buy one with good neighbours and not haunted. The rest is secondary. 

Guest Answered
1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Because no one is planning to get married and also cheaper to buy 2 room flat.

4 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Think for couples who got grant from HDB, they are still able to apply for new BTO.

I think the couple will be subjected to resale levy ranging from $15k to $55k.

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I think the couple will be subjected to resale levy ranging from $15k to $55k.

Thats why they should do the same for single and not just simply say not eligible to buy. Only then can build a society based on justice and equality, regardless of race, language or religion, oh... but they never say regardless of marital status.

This is interesting, so Punggol actually had plans for further expansion (i wonder if it's on reclaimed land), then now instead of LRT line become additional MRT line instead. Nobody wanted to live on Coney Island or Coastline? Or is it too many complains about Eye of Sauron then stop the build.

Guest Confession

Guys...Guys....I have a confession to make about buying a HDB that is emotionally time test.

I was born in a certain matured town.  I grew up since childhood, familiar with the places inside out. when the government requested that my family move, we stayed close to where our former house was.  I looked about Singapore with my agent once I reached the age at which I was eligible to purchase a HDB.  Searching in all directions with the hopes of finding the ideal location at the ideal cost.  No matter how wonderful or ugly the apartment looked, I felt lost everywhere I went.  Not literally lost, but rather emotionally lost.  I felt emotionally that the location was too far away from where I had spent my entire life.  Even the trees, hallways, lampposts, and paint of the buildings appear strange and distant. The air in the new town reminded me of a faraway planet rather than the earth where I was raised.    I believed I would lose my family and my youth.  I was afraid to sign any possible sale contract.  I delayed my motion... procrastinated.  I keep running North East and West towns with my agents - like a zombie without being upfront to my agent. I can't figure out what I wanted, deep inside I was afraid.

Then a new opening appeared close to the town where I was born. Very uncommon due to the limited size of the old town.   I sprinted over to look around.  A malay family owned the poorly maintained, heavily "overused" home.  I felt let down.  My agent also resisted.  I then said goodbye to everyone in the group and headed home on foot after dark.The smell of the blossoming trees was inviting, the nearby neighborhoods were places I was familiar with as a child, some people looked very familiar in my daily life, the church that rang once a month looked tall and comforting where I witnessed its construction in my younger years, and the coffee shop that continued to serve my favorite Kway Chup dish in the evening made me want to go there.. then an answer came in an instant, from the deep of the heart of my long unawered fear.  

I called up the agent and signed the contract - my agent was surprised. So am I IIIIIII

I removed everything that would be visually off-putting and made a few modest renovations, including a fresh coat of paint and some of my favorite finishing touches.  It appears to be new.  When the Malay family arrived to pick up their old letter, they hardly recognized their house.  I was relieved to finally own a home and, more importantly, to be able to appreciate the community where I was born and where I could see all of my childhood footprints. 

The feeling of being isolated and lost persisted even many years later when I occasionally rode the public transportation through the unfamiliar areas I had once explored while looking for a home. It wasn't until the bus arrived in my hometown that I started to feel secure and at home.  

Years go by, and I have no regrets.  There are now parks, rivers, amenities, and more lights in my old town.  The entire HDB was upgraded, the roads were extended and completely replaced, the value increased significantly, and mediacorp frequently used images of it to depict a model town.

I'm pleased I bought the house with feelings in mind rather than for financial gain or immaculate circumstances because those motivations are still valid today.  Even if everyone you knew has passed on, you can be confident that you will never feel psychologically or emotionally alone, in your town you had spend your entire life.   Even if I finally downgrade, I'll still want to live close by.  

On 8/10/2023 at 11:30 PM, Guest Priority is key said:

Buy one with good neighbours and not haunted. The rest is secondary. 

You don't how your neighbours will be like until you move in and stay.

On 8/11/2023 at 11:14 AM, lonelyglobe said:

Thats why they should do the same for single and not just simply say not eligible to buy. Only then can build a society based on justice and equality, regardless of race, language or religion, oh... but they never say regardless of marital status.

Agreed, they should also allow resale levy for singles if they choose to buy a brand new BTO. This is really unfair.

On 8/11/2023 at 1:09 PM, Guest Guest said:

Single that purchased his resale HDB with grant and after disposing of the unit can apply for 2 room flexi BTO with 30 years lease.

Yes, only can wait until 55 year old then can apply for new 2 rm BTO under short lease if taken a grant previosuly.

2 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Yes, only can wait until 55 year old then can apply for new 2 rm BTO under short lease if taken a grant previosuly.

For non-mature also wait till 55?

I think those who stayed in private housing while renting out his whole HDB will be hit this August 20. The highest resale levy, at $55K only, will also be adjusted upward to reflect current red hot prices to discourage flipping is another of my prediction.

More subsidies, higher income ceiling? Analysts weigh in on possible tweaks to public housing

Were the BTOs located in housing estates that you wanted to live in?

To me one drawback of going the BTO route is inability to choose the location, due to 2-room flats being set aside for singles in non-mature estates only.

And another drawback is the one you just mentioned above. 

Edited by sayfirst
clarity

A licensed gay realtor

Wonder what will they adjust to the public housing schemes? How it will affect the pricing for resale and new BTO.

The govt has been taking steps to stabilise the housing market on both the supply and demand side, so in my opinion they probably would not introduce something that drastically affects housing prices. 

The classification of housing estates as ‘mature’ and ’non-mature’ is up for review though.

A licensed gay realtor

Were the BTOs located in housing estates that you wanted to live in?

To me one drawback of going the BTO route is inability to choose the location, due to 2-room flats being set aside for singles in non-mature estates only.

And the other drawback is the one you just mentioned above. 

Not the housing estates that i wanted to live in but no choice since singles only can apply in non-mature estate. I prefer to stay in mature estate.

I think those who stayed in private housing while renting out his whole HDB will be hit this August 20. The highest resale levy, at $55K only, will also be adjusted upward to reflect current red hot prices to discourage flipping is another of my prediction.

More subsidies, higher income ceiling? Analysts weigh in on possible tweaks to public housing

They should not allow those people who stay in private and yet still able to keep their HDB and then rent out the whole unit. I always think HDB is subsidies housing, not for people to use it to generate rental income. If people want to generate rental income, they can only use private and not HDB if want to rent out the whole unit. Too bad govt until now still did not do anything on this. 

They should not allow those people who stay in private and yet still able to keep their HDB and then rent out the whole unit. I always think HDB is subsidies housing, not for people to use it to generate rental income. If people want to generate rental income, they can only use private and not HDB if want to rent out the whole unit. Too bad govt until now still did not do anything on this. 

The opposition party had questioned MND Desmond at length on this matter. Let’s see on 20 August. 

The opposition party had questioned MND Desmond at length on this matter. Let’s see on 20 August. 

Although it is legal to live in your HDB while renting out out your private condo, I have observed many wealthy individuals doing the exact opposite - rent out HDB and live in private condo. The latter group's HDB should be seized. 

Although it is legal to live in your HDB while renting out out your private condo, I have observed many wealthy individuals doing the exact opposite - rent out HDB and live in private condo. The latter group's HDB should be seized. 

They might able to legally do it with loop holes.

Maybe the HDB property under husband name only and private property under wife name only. So can rent the HDB out and live in private property. 

They might able to legally do it with loop holes.

Maybe the HDB property under husband name only and private property under wife name only. So can rent the HDB out and live in private property. 

Agreed, the HDB flat should be seized for those people who stay in private and rent out HDB.

It is the job of govt to pluck this loophole and should not allow such thing to happen. To allow couples to buy private under wife or children name and HDB can be registered under husband name.

Like i said, HDB is not meant to use to generate rental income when the person is staying in private. Since the person bought the HDB in a subsidies rate and grant. I really don't understand why HDB is sleeping all these years on this matter.

When anyone buys a new Housing Board flat, they already enjoy subsidies that have already been factored into the flat's price. But, this subsidy is meant to benefit a couple, or at least two occupants, said the HDB.

Without the $15,000 premium, some might ask why singles who live alone should enjoy the same subsidies as two or more occupants. So, when single Singaporeans book a flat under the Single Singapore Citizen Scheme, the price difference accounts for the fact that they are the sole beneficiaries of the subsidies. Said a HDB spokesman: "All new HDB flats are sold at a subsidised price with the subsidies intended to benefit a couple."

The spokesman also explained that singles who subsequently marry another citizen or a Singapore permanent resident can apply for the CPF Housing Top-Up Grant after marriage and enjoy the same subsidy as a family. This means that single homebuyers who get married later will be able to get back the $15,000, which will be credited back to their CPF Ordinary Accounts.

The rationale also applies to the difference in housing grants between singles and couples, such as the Additional CPF Housing Grant (AHG) and the Special CPF Housing Grant (SHG). Said the spokesman: "When buying a flat from HDB, eligible first-timer singles can enjoy an AHG and SHG of up to $40,000, half of the quantum for eligible first-timer families." The scheme to allow eligible singles aged 35 and above to buy new HDB flats only kicked in from July 2013. They may only buy new 2-room Flexi flats in non-mature estates on a full 99-year lease. Before then, singles could only buy from the resale market with grants that were also half that for couples.

Guest D3an70

I am deeply troubled by the persistent toilet seepage issue in my HDB flat on the 7th floor. For the past six months, I have been grappling with the spreading seepage dilemma that has extended to the branch pipes from the stack pipes. This has caused significant inconvenience and disruption in my daily life.

The origin of this ordeal dates back to February 4, 2023, when the first signs of seepage emerged in my master bedroom toilet, characterized by water droplets descending from the ceiling around the stack pipe and the stack pipe. Swiftly, I reached out to HDB, prompting the dispatch of a private contractor from the 8th floor to address the situation. They responded that the issue falls under the jurisdiction of the town council. Coordination was initiated with HDB to involve the town council in resolving the matter. A town council plumber subsequently verified the stack pipe's integrity, attributing the seepage to the toilet in the apartment directly above mine on the 8th floor.

HDB promptly engaged private contractors from the 8th floor to rectify the matter upon identifying the misconnections in the level 8 pipes. Despite conducting three separate water ponding tests, seepage persisted. Level 8 private contractors contested the findings.

They proposed alternate explanations, such as structural issues or the involvement of a neighbouring unit on a higher level.

A dry test was conducted, which revealed no seepage as the neighbour on the 8th floor refrained from using the master bedroom toilet.

On July 29, 2023, a Zonal Engineer from HDB personally observed the latest water ponding test following the dry test. This test conclusively confirmed the seepage's source to be the toilet in the flat on the 8th floor. This was affirmed by the HDB zonal engineer based on the test outcomes.

After enduring this seepage predicament for half a year, I am exasperated, grappling with its implications. Water stains have marred the ceiling of my master bedroom toilet and permeated into the wall fixture, compounding the damage. Moreover, I am deeply concerned about the potential health hazards of a consistently damp environment.

I implore #HDB to take decisive action and compel level 8 private contractors to rectify this ongoing issue. As a responsible and law-abiding citizen, I meet my #HDB Service and Conservancy fee obligations. I am entitled to an environment free from moisture and mould-related concerns.

I am confident that #HDB will promptly address this matter and create a secure and wholesome living space for me. I greatly appreciate your consideration of my appeal.

I am deeply troubled by the persistent toilet seepage issue in my HDB flat on the 7th floor. For the past six months, I have been grappling with the spreading seepage dilemma that has extended to the branch pipes from the stack pipes. This has caused significant inconvenience and disruption in my daily life.

The origin of this ordeal dates back to February 4, 2023, when the first signs of seepage emerged in my master bedroom toilet, characterized by water droplets descending from the ceiling around the stack pipe and the stack pipe. Swiftly, I reached out to HDB, prompting the dispatch of a private contractor from the 8th floor to address the situation. They responded that the issue falls under the jurisdiction of the town council. Coordination was initiated with HDB to involve the town council in resolving the matter. A town council plumber subsequently verified the stack pipe's integrity, attributing the seepage to the toilet in the apartment directly above mine on the 8th floor.

HDB promptly engaged private contractors from the 8th floor to rectify the matter upon identifying the misconnections in the level 8 pipes. Despite conducting three separate water ponding tests, seepage persisted. Level 8 private contractors contested the findings.

They proposed alternate explanations, such as structural issues or the involvement of a neighbouring unit on a higher level.

A dry test was conducted, which revealed no seepage as the neighbour on the 8th floor refrained from using the master bedroom toilet.

On July 29, 2023, a Zonal Engineer from HDB personally observed the latest water ponding test following the dry test. This test conclusively confirmed the seepage's source to be the toilet in the flat on the 8th floor. This was affirmed by the HDB zonal engineer based on the test outcomes.

After enduring this seepage predicament for half a year, I am exasperated, grappling with its implications. Water stains have marred the ceiling of my master bedroom toilet and permeated into the wall fixture, compounding the damage. Moreover, I am deeply concerned about the potential health hazards of a consistently damp environment.

I implore #HDB to take decisive action and compel level 8 private contractors to rectify this ongoing issue. As a responsible and law-abiding citizen, I meet my #HDB Service and Conservancy fee obligations. I am entitled to an environment free from moisture and mould-related concerns.

I am confident that #HDB will promptly address this matter and create a secure and wholesome living space for me. I greatly appreciate your consideration of my appeal.

That is the reason why buying on the highest floor of the block was 1 of my 3 non-negotiable criteria when I pick up my unit years ago.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.