Male HQ

shrimps / prawns lover (aquatic - not for cuisine)

lovehandle

kekekeke
I m not so easily wet , hence I enjoy watching shrimps than "bird-watching"

I just don't understand why many get excited with birds (down there)

maybe a piece of undie may get me wet instead (but cannot derail from this topic)

Ok , some infor for all of u to read instead of fantasizing or visiting some places, kekekekeke

How to set up aquarium for crabs (click left and right), the vampire crabs mentioned
GC's fb has all sort of weird looking snails that Shirtless might like

GC said: Crabs don't really like water and can't climb vertical. So the water level will be adjust after some testing with some crabs in it

https://www.facebook.com/greenchaptershop/photos/ms.c.eJxF0NkNBCEMA9COVpnc6b~_xHTmY~_ePJgVjMTLdNmmWm1W~;Wr95T2drlgTNujnkX5rq50yZipnPe86fhVtoxH9exedCF3OdYd78zV8V8NZ1r7tdCP8lj277Cvg7HfMb9YF~;Hf0Rf777oP6RePx4~-.bps.a.999883880033312.1073742003.142538952434480/999883963366637/?type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/greenchaptershop/videos/vb.142538952434480/1012106662144367/?type=2&theater

Do shrimps really eat the leaves?
http://www.shrimpcorner.co.uk/blog/post/7-freshwater-shrimp-foods

Sexing
http://www.shrimpcorner.co.uk/blog/post/14-sexing-freshwater-shrimps

I like this blog cos it mentioned: and I tried collecting too though it didn't seemed popular w my shrimps

A good alternative to expensive shrimp foods is dried leaf litter
 There are lots of different leaves to try, many are available commercially or you can even collect and dry your own leaves, but whichever you chose to use make sure that they are from a clean, reputable source and are not contaminated in any way by atmospheric pollutants or pesticides.

http://www.shrimpcorner.co.uk/blog/post/7-freshwater-shrimp-foods : click on its other contents too

3 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

Hi cycle25, your substrate doesn't look like one that should be used for planted tank? The challenge with planted tank lies with setting it up correctly with the right type of substrate used. It is especially tough if you choose aquatic grasses as ground covers. The fact that your ground covers keep floating up suggests that root establishment is poor and this is likely due to your substrate. The initial set up of a planted tank is crucial and introduction of live stock should only be done after the plants have established and not the other way round. 

I see. Thanks for the help!

Shall see if I get a chance to do something different in time to come. My guppy tank needed a change as something affected the water parameters drastically causing rapid algal bloom. At least I have a better understanding of how to go about a planted tank now. Nonetheless, how do I anchor the grass into the substrate?

Also, are there any other options for the ground cover instead of the grassy type?

17 minutes ago, cycle25 said:

I see. Thanks for the help!

Shall see if I get a chance to do something different in time to come. My guppy tank needed a change as something affected the water parameters drastically causing rapid algal bloom. At least I have a better understanding of how to go about a planted tank now. Nonetheless, how do I anchor the grass into the substrate?

Also, are there any other options for the ground cover instead of the grassy type?

There will certainly be a wide range of alternative ground covers to serve your needs but can I take the liberty to suggest using mosses as ground cover as it works for me and so you might want to consider? 

Right now, I am using the moss, "Fissidens Moss" or some places called it "Phoenix moss" as ground cover. Ok, facts about this moss. It's very slow growing and thus might seem to be unsuitable to be used. It takes patience to have them cover your tank bottom but trust me, it's worth the effort. 

This moss is sometimes sold tied to rectangular metal strips. Thus, installation is made simple. Just need to bury the entire metal strips slightly below the substrate level. For a start, you can try to prevent the metal strip from floating by using heavy object like stones on both ends of the strips. When the mosses establish, the stones can be removed. There is no need to add fertiliser as mosses require little nutrients to grow. This is an advantage as adding fertiliser can sometimes cause algae bloom as excess nutrients go to the algae. 

Let me know if you eventually decide to use this as ground cover then we can discuss further on how to get you started :)

Be cool, like a breeze...

9 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

There will certainly be a wide range of alternative ground covers to serve your needs but can I take the liberty to suggest using mosses as ground cover as it works for me and so you might want to consider? 

Right now, I am using the moss, "Fissidens Moss" or some places called it "Phoenix moss" as ground cover. Ok, facts about this moss. It's very slow growing and thus might seem to be unsuitable to be used. It takes patience to have them cover your tank bottom but trust me, it's worth the effort. 

This moss is sometimes sold tied to rectangular metal strips. Thus, installation is made simple. Just need to bury the entire metal strips slightly below the substrate level. For a start, you can try to prevent the metal strip from floating by using heavy object like stones on both ends of the strips. When the mosses establish, the stones can be removed. There is no need to add fertiliser as mosses require little nutrients to grow. This is an advantage as adding fertiliser can sometimes cause algae bloom as excess nutrients go to the algae. 

Let me know if you eventually decide to use this as ground cover then we can discuss further on how to get you started :)

Yeah, I've seen some moss used as ground cover before but not sure how to go about it. I guess I also liked the delicate look, heh.

Thanks so much for your tips. Let me see if I can do anything for my goldfish tank as it may need some sprucing up soon. :)

56 minutes ago, guest_jeff said:

For the wondershrimp tanks, does everyone stick strictly to the pellet diet?  Just curious.

From my understanding, you don't even need to feed anything to the shrimps. However, I was told that I can feed a few pellets of "vitamins" to boost their growth. So sometimes I will add the pellets once a week and sometimes once a fortnight. I haven't tried not adding anything so far as i just can't bear not to feed anything lol. 

7 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

From my understanding, you don't even need to feed anything to the shrimps. However, I was told that I can feed a few pellets of "vitamins" to boost their growth. So sometimes I will add the pellets once a week and sometimes once a fortnight. I haven't tried not adding anything so far as i just can't bear not to feed anything lol. 

Thanks.  I know what you mean about not bearing to not feed anything.  They are really so cute.

I m glad Dr. Shrimp aka Coolbriz is around to answer most of your qns

As you know some aq shop staff or blogs/websites will tend to over exagg their sharings eg many told me for shrimps , good to have soil as substrate, but I don't have one and my friend's friend (aka mult-breeded of 4 dozen of babies over a 4mth+ period) also don't have soil
and some said copper no gd for shrimps (still a controversial topic)

I think practical experience is still more impt, afterall
Some readings on go-ez practical experience:
http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

some frens use direct tap water as mentioned in:
Some wanna aged it for 3-7days, some like me aged 1 day+ those liquids like nutrifin
Actually tap water is ok for the shrimps (but nt ok for fish)as small traces of chlorine will not harm us or humans, just tt it will kill off the beneficial bacteria that break down waste and toxins in your tank
http://www.shirakura-shop.de/en/usage.htm

14 hours ago, guest_jeff said:

For the wondershrimp tanks, does everyone stick strictly to the pellet diet?  Just curious.

Are you referring to the pellets provided by CRS Haven ?

From what I know about them, they are not fussy eaters.

They can be fed any other shrimp food that can be found in LFS or even fish pellets.

You might want to explore the option of giving them pure spirulina powder.

Edited by deathblade88

18 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

WondershrimpS u can totally skip feeding them right?

Yes, if your system is doing fine, feeding is always optional.

Over-feeding them will cause water quality issue and the list continues.............................

1 hour ago, deathblade88 said:

Are you referring to the pellets provided by CRS Haven ?

From what I know about them, they are not fussy eaters.

They can be fed any other shrimp food that can be found in LFS or even fish pellets.

You might want to explore the option of giving them pure spirulina powder.

That is good to know.  Do you feed yours with other shrimp food?  Sounds like you give yours spirulina powder.

Also, if you give them other kinds of shrimp food, how much do you give them (per shrimp)?

6 minutes ago, guest_jeff said:

That is good to know.  Do you feed yours with other shrimp food?  Sounds like you give yours spirulina powder.

Also, if you give them other kinds of shrimp food, how much do you give them (per shrimp)?

Nope. The given pellets is good enough for me.

Always do feeding as per instructions on the label.

Do not over-feed is the key.

5 hours ago, deathblade88 said:

Nope. The given pellets is good enough for me.

Always do feeding as per instructions on the label.

Do not over-feed is the key.

Sure thing.  I will adhere strictly to the feeding guidelines.  I got a similar LED light as the one you sent the link for, minus the battery pack because I have one already.  Thanks for the recommendation.  It is looking great now.

20 minutes ago, guest_jeff said:

Sure thing.  I will adhere strictly to the feeding guidelines.  I got a similar LED light as the one you sent the link for, minus the battery pack because I have one already.  Thanks for the recommendation.  It is looking great now.

Nice !!! Enjoy your wondershrimp set. :D

Everyone is working today on the first working day of 2016 right? busy

I hope my Dr. Shrimp is around!! Help help!!

I noticed that there is a long worm in the water and another one hiding in the mossball... so do i just scoop it up and? what can i do to prevent this again?

Are these really caused by residues? but there is no way, I can totally clear the dirt on the floorbed using siphon and experts said no gd to fully clear the dirts too...

Sorry that I cannot attach the video on the moving worm!!!!* limited size attachmt

worm on rt.jpg

Edited by lovehandle

Sorry shirtless to have made u feel gross

Live stocks as in live plant yes!

There are some teardrop plants on the surface of the waters (they luv to nibble on them) but I thought it s safe to do so and the next living plant is the mossball, but it is an algae to be accurate

Other than that no meat etc are allowed in the tank

only from last tues, I started changing their meals to : pellets by hikari (but I doubt this is the issue rt?) - v small size but VERY EXPENSIVE! (a small pack 10g costs close to sgd9), I have a hard time getting them to eat the pellets and eventually they relented

http://www.hikariusa.com/diets/crustaceans/shrimpcuisine/
http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-54519.html
https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/posts/hikari-shrimp-cuisine-a-review
(but after eating 1-2 shrimps successfully did moulting last nite)

and the fren who fed her shrimps w direct tap water always have the worm issue, too! She said it should be the residues of shrimps discharge and leftover foods...and the tendency of mossball to induce worms( I saw the worms wriggling on the surface of the balls)
Help help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot lah, shirtless...my shrimps will be gone by then and they are still @ baby stage!

Anyway,

the shop that I made most of my purchases replied:
"all these come straight from the farm where they keep their plants , like snails and pest that come from the environment... Best is to wash first before you drop into tank"

guess what? I totally didn't wash it when I dropped the balls in!!!!!!!!!!
--

don't like that lah... by the way, I love to use "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

v lousy bw, cannot attach a lot of files, I kept deleting

Yes it s slim whitish or beige coloured worms that can swim around, but not small, v long, and ultra flexible : they will pretend to stop swimming or become still, so that u cannot detect them
but if they started swimming, then they move v fast!!!! really curse and swear
some say it s a norm to always have worms, still they killed them to prevent后患

Edited by lovehandle

Oh lovehandle, keep forgetting to mention, I use app like "Youdoodle+" to resize my images. So each image I posted is only less than 100kb or at most 150kb. So that will allow you to post more images. If you notice, my images all super low res one. 

Hopefully it will not purify my shrimps away, lol...will take note, Deathblade when I visit a shop soon

Coolbriz, tks for the app, I usu use my laptop to resize, but I just don't like the bw new system, it s wierd

no need wait for mass order: join the closed grp of Singapore shrimp club to get:
Crystal Red Shrimp on sale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/174654122585332/permalink/1017098088340927/
Bring your own container. Price from $1.5/pc for banded, $2.5/pc for hino and $5/pc for mosura crown!!!!!!!!!!!!
As seller (not shop seller) need to offload their overloaded CRS tank.

or

Fire red shrimps -SGD10 for 10 shrimps

2 minutes ago, guest_jeff said:

Hello all.  As an update, my wondershrimps are still alive at day 2.  LOL.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know what species the tiny eco snail CRS haven sells are?

Cheers.

I had the horned nerite snail for both of my sets.

The so called 'eco-snail', heard it will breed like wild fire, even just one of them.

1 minute ago, deathblade88 said:

I had the horned nerite snail for both of my sets.

The so called 'eco-snail', heard it will breed like wild fire, even just one of them.

Oh, I got the eco snails.  Two of them.  Really tiny ones.  But I don't know what species they are exactly.  Maybe I should have gone with yours...

congrats jeff, I don't think they die so easily

but do take note of overcrowding esp the wondershrimp tank is not big....less is MORE

To know their species, pls fb them, they r the shop sellers cum expert too
if u cannot find on their fb or web: http://www.gcshop-sg.com/livestore_list.php?pg=0&cata=20&scate=-1&cate=327

28 minutes ago, guest_jeff said:

Oh, I got the eco snails.  Two of them.  Really tiny ones.  But I don't know what species they are exactly.  Maybe I should have gone with yours...

This would be a good example of the 'eco-snail' infestation. 

Source: CRS Haven FB page

11011257_10206301227748232_5040048419816788768_n.jpg

11011257_10206301227748232_5040048419816

Shirtless (photo is v distracting) luv all sorts of weirdo pets rt? ugly frogs ok ? http://www.hikariusa.com/diets/pac-attack/
when I was much younger, I tried keeping tiny frogs

Deathblade: I always assumed that your attached photo is your tank or jars until  I saw the CRS haven credit!
Wow, realy a large tank with so many snails ! snails> shrimps!!!!
also, why is there a plastic bag in the tank?

Anyone feed their shrimps with crab food?http://www.hikariusa.com/diets/crustaceans/crabcuisine/
or algae wafer/biscuit?

Those "Eco snails" are indeed very potent. I bought 1 for my wonder shrimp tank and after only a few weeks I got 3 inside! But they are super efficient in cleaning my tank. 

I do have another snail infestation earlier on when I introduced the ramshorn snail into my bigger shrimp tank. That's when nightmare begins.. They breed like crazy and very soon my tank is full of them! They look pretty in the beginning when I only bought a pair. But ever since they became a pest, I got no choice but to remove all of them from the tank -.-"

11 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

Can Dr Shrimp aka Coolbriz tell me how did one become 3? it impregnant itself??

also do note , overcleaning means no algae for the shrimps

Simple.

Cos snail are asexual creatures.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2578

http://animals.mom.me/asexual-reproduction-snails-6517.html

Do provide an artificial light source(maybe brighter also) and longer exposure to the tank.

I am sure you will have an algae boom in no time.

26 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

Those "Eco snails" are indeed very potent. I bought 1 for my wonder shrimp tank and after only a few weeks I got 3 inside! But they are super efficient in cleaning my tank. 

I do have another snail infestation earlier on when I introduced the ramshorn snail into my bigger shrimp tank. That's when nightmare begins.. They breed like crazy and very soon my tank is full of them! They look pretty in the beginning when I only bought a pair. But ever since they became a pest, I got no choice but to remove all of them from the tank -.-"

How do you clear the infestation ?

tsk, so rude.... I m just an administrator

Deathblade,
Just remove them by hand/net right?
Tks for the link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recalled the term Asexual or hermaphrodite now

Edited by lovehandle

Though a bit side-tracked, I think many gays would pref to be asexual cos some of us pref to have kids (not by adoption pls) but............

also all the snails seen here are like the seafood : zuk zuk

no1 has apple snails etc?
the same website mentioned using bait to get rid of snails or hands: http://animals.mom.me/natural-ways-rid-snails-fish-tanks-4469.html

I shd have done this to my mossball earlier to avoid the worms  :
 eliminate them by cleaning new plants that you plan on introducing to the tank. Soak the plants in saltwater for 15 minutes, then give them a good rinse in fresh water before introducing them to the aquarium. This should destroy eggs that are hanging on without doing harm to the plants

Edited by lovehandle

44 minutes ago, Coolbriz said:

The eco snails are the tiny ones that they sell right? Not the big $5 one?