Male HQ

NEWS: Joseph Schooling wins 100M Butterfly Olympics GOLD !

HendryTan

Let's all be nice for this special win, shall we? Congratulations to Joseph on his win for our country, we should be proud of this achievement!

Edited by sphere

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Guest Olympiak
1 hour ago, D Nines said:

Sadly, now NS awaits him. It's a lost to sg in the sporting arena during his missing for 2 years.

Pse, u think they won't make special concession for a champion Olympian? Probably make him coach soldiers to swim and/or continue training as part of his national service.

Guest Swimmer

Joseph u r awesomely an inspiration to many and we are proud of you ..a true blue Singaporean sportsman.

Shame on you ..Grace Fu!!!!

Just don't show your face beside him when he comes back ! So fake!

7 hours ago, HendryTan said:

Joseph Schooling wins 100M Butterfly GOLD ! 

Olympic Record of 50:39 

If our locally bred Singaporean can win and give us glory, do we still need to hire FTs esp from PRCs to represent us anymore?

After all, they don't have loyalty for this land, and will eventually return to their homes with OUR MONEY

Its one way of looking how we can use our tax payers' funds wisely

Just a thought when I heard he won

From wiki :

Lloyd Oscar Valberg (14 April 1922 – 26 March 1997) was the first ever representative from Singapore to compete at the Olympics when he went to the 1948 Summer Olympic Games held in London, United Kingdom.

He took up the high jump when he was 17, and in 1947 he broke the Singapore record with a jump of 1.87m. He qualified for the high jump final at the 1948 Summer Olympics where he finally finished 14th.

Representing Malaya, he finished seventh in the 1950 British Empire Games 120 yards hurdles and eleventh in the high jump.

He finished third in the 110 metres hurdles at the 1951 Asian Games, while representing Singapore.

He is also Grand-Uncle to Singapore's first Olympic Gold medallist Joseph Schooling who beat Michael Phelps in the 100m Butterfly in the 2016 Rio Olympics. It was Lloyd who inspired Joseph Schooling to compete in the Olympics.

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/history/events/98db39fe-8238-4e69-aca7-21eeda58dc59

4 hours ago, Guest Dun geddit said:

Joseph schooling is ang mor leh..... Or half ang mor...

new citizen nia. Not 3rd of 4th gen living here all these while...

happie for fuck? Like your own family member won so happy lidat...

Well, Joseph Schooling is a 3rd -generation Singaporean.He is an  Eurasian His mum May is a singaporean Pr, a Chinese Malaysian; while his dad Colin, was born in Singapore and educated at Raffles Institution. Colin Schooling's grandfather was a British military officer who married a localPortuguese-Eurasian in Singapore.

Of cos he is singaporean.

Why do people keep sidelining Eurasians?

I actually well up with tears watching the race when he tap first and won.. I felt so much pride the he a true blue Singaporean won!! This is one victory that was well earned and by a Singaporean in more better ways then a PAID FOR PRC.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

A lot of people went to school with Schooling or looked up to him in school, as juniors.

Eurasians are also Singaporeans! No longer are Eurasians classified as Others, and they shdnt have been in the first place!

Im happy he wrote a new record for Sg as a true blue Sg and helped to register the fact tt Eurasians are as Sgn as any one of rhe chinese, Malays or indiansl

27 minutes ago, upshot said:

I actually well up my tears watching the racing when he won with pride. This is one victory that was well earned and by a Singaporean in more better ways then a PAID FOR PRC.

LOL

In a way, those PRCs FTs are no better than their PRCs MB counterparts

Its just that they operate on a much larger legitimate scale, but both have mercenary intentions

1 hour ago, FluteGuan said:

A lot of people went to school with Schooling or looked up to him in school, as juniors.

Eurasians are also Singaporeans! No longer are Eurasians classified as Others, and they shdnt have been in the first place!

Im happy he wrote a new record for Sg as a true blue Sg and helped to register the fact tt Eurasians are as Sgn as any one of rhe chinese, Malays or indiansl

Just for the record, other than his angmo name, he's actually 3/4 ethnic Chinese.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

matter of a "commercial negotiation".  giving-the-finger-smiley-emoticon.gif

Because the cost of screening Olympics year after year is higher and higher and higher, like cost of living. Broadcaster is not someone we can control, and maybe they asked for more than expected and keep raising the price because they know Singapore got money to spend. That's why commercial negotiation lor probably.

But thank gdness we got the live broadcast in the end!

Guest Neh Neh
2 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Imagine we have no live telecast this morning and he has won a GOLD medal w an Olympic record and we know hours later. It's like so DUH lor. :frustrated:

So Heng, we could watch it live and cheered and shouted out loud like watching World Cup. :P

Thanks to our ministers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/sports/olympics/michael-phelps-joseph-schooling-200-butterfly-gold.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Somebody (His Name’s Joseph
Schooling) Finally Beats Michael Phelps

By KAREN CROUSEAUG. 12, 2016

Photo
13SWIM-69-superJumbo-v3.jpg

CreditJames Hill for The New York Times

RIO DE JANEIRO — What the vault is to the United States gymnast Simone Biles, the 100-meter butterfly is to the five-time Olympian Michael Phelps. The shortest individual race in Phelps’s Olympic program has always been his toughest. His three consecutive victories, starting at the 2004 Games in Athens, came by a total margin of 28-hundredths of a second.

In his previous three finals, Phelps had never been better than fifth after the first 50. In Friday night’s final, he turned sixth, more than a half-second behind the leader, Joseph Schooling of Singapore, a rising junior and all-American swimmer at Texas.

Phelps chased Schooling in the last 50, but Schooling could not be caught. He clocked a 50.39, faster than Phelps swam in any of his Olympic victories.

Continue reading the main story

Photo
13SWIM-65-superJumbo-v2.jpg

“As a kid I wanted to be like him,” said Schooling, who got his photograph taken with Phelps before his eight-gold-medal performance at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. “It’s crazy to think of what happens in eight years,” Schooling said, adding: “A lot of this is because of Michael. He’s the reason I wanted to be a better swimmer.”

Phelps tied for second with Laszlo Cseh and Chad le Clos in 51.14. How fitting. Phelps has been racing against the 30-year-old Cseh for over a decade. His rivalry with le Clos, while shorter in duration, has been more intense. Le Clos handed Phelps his first butterfly defeat at the Olympics in the 200 in 2012.

Photo
13PHELPSUNDER-superJumbo.jpg

Michael Phelps. CreditDoug Mills/The New York Times

At le Clos’s suggestion, the silver medalists interlocked hands and raised their arms like relay members as they stepped to the medals podium. “I think it was a great thing because we are good friends and we have a long history together,” Cseh said. “It was right to do that.”

The degree of difficulty for Phelps, 31, as he tried to win a fourth consecutive Olympic title was compounded by the cumulative fatigue from his gold medal turns this week in two relays, the 200 butterfly and the 200 individual medley. His legs felt leaden, but his heart was light. After two years of hard labor in the pool and harder self-reflective work out of it, Phelps said, “I’m enjoying the sport like I did when I was an 18-year-old.”

Photo
13SWIM-1934-superJumbo-v3.jpg

CreditDoug Mills/The New York Times
Photo
13schooling2-master1050.jpg

CreditFrancois-Xavier Marit/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images. Continue reading the main story

Photo
13schooling1-superJumbo.jpg

CreditAthit Perawongmetha/Reuters

He brought to the two-lap race, his 62nd swim in Olympic competition and his last in an individual event, an appetite for the fight and an acceptance of whatever outcome was in the stars. Phelps took comfort in knowing he had put in the work and prepared well, in contrast with his haphazard, halfhearted approach to the 2012 London Games, where he relied on guile and guts to win six medals, including four golds.

“I’ve been able to stand on the block and say I’ve done everything I could to prepare myself, and that’s all that matters,” Phelps said.

Replay: How Joseph Schooling Won the 100-Meter Butterfly

Schooling won Singapore's first swimming medal, while Michael Phelps tied two other swimmers for second.

Sadovnikov
Phelps
Li
Schooling
le Clos
Cseh
Shields
Metella

+1.45
+0.75 sec.
+0.87
+0.75 sec.
+0.75 sec.
+1.34
+1.19

↺ REPLAY RACE
Race shown at 4x speed. Animations show freestyle stroke for clarity.
By MILES PEYTON and DEREK WATKINS
Length 1 of 2

At the postrace news conference, Phelps sat next to Schooling. After answering several questions directed at him, Phelps playfully protested. “Joe should be getting most of the questions,” he said. “He just won a gold medal.”

Phelps said he was proud of Schooling. Seeing his time gave Phelps permission to retire. The next generation is all right. “Being able to close the door on the sport the way I wanted to, that’s why I’m happy right now,” he said.

After his 200 I.M. final/100 butterfly semifinal Thursday, Phelps said: “I kind of knew when I first started coming back that it wasn’t going to be an easy process. I was going to have to force myself to go through pain that maybe I really didn’t want to do. I was at a point in my life where I was ready to do that, and willing to do that.”

Photo
13phelpsschooling-superJumbo-v2.jpg

With 26 Olympic medals, including 22 golds, Phelps stepped on the blocks knowing that win or lose, he had achieved more than would have seemed possible in 2000, when he was a lantern-jawed 15-year-old finishing fifth in his first Olympic final.

“I think the biggest thing for me is I’ve kind of been able to finish the way I wanted to,” he said. “I’ve been able to come back, and I’ve been able to accomplish things that I just dreamt of.”

The appreciative crowd at Olympic Aquatics Stadium, which greeted him with sustained applause, included Phelps’s fiancée, Nicole Johnson, and the couple’s 3-month-old, Boomer, who was somehow able to sleep despite the din.

A household name now.  Ong Peng Xiong, Fadi Ahmad and all the Table Tennis PRCs can step aside.  So young and now a millionaire. What an achievement for him and his family.  I hope he will not be used as political card for the govt.

6 minutes ago, Guest Brand said:

A household name now.  Ong Peng Xiong, Fadi Ahmad and all the Table Tennis PRCs can step aside.  So young and now a millionaire. What an achievement for him and his family.  I hope he will not be used as political card for the govt

shld be Ang Peng Siong and Fandi Ahmad 

Guest National Anthem

I am sorry. But he cannot even lip sync our National Anthem. I do not feel proud at all. He is after all AMDK. If only Quah wins.

SINGAPORE: Newly crowned Olympic champion Joseph Schooling will arrive in Singapore on Monday morning (Aug 15).

According to officials from the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC), Schooling will be travelling via Singapore Airlines and is set to touch down at about 5.30am.

The 21-year-old Singaporean clinched gold in the 100m butterfly event after touching the wall in 50.39s, nearly one second ahead of an extraordinary joint-silver finish of 51.14s shared by American great Michael Phelps, South Africa's Chad le Clos and Hungarian Laszlo Cseh.

This is the first time at Rio 2016 that Phelps, who won the 100m butterfly at the past three Olympics, has been beaten.

Guest Sheeple

Schooling will get more than a sick taste of the fawning and obsequious ass kissing once he gets back. He will get so sick he needs therapy. :smokin::lol:

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fit-to-post-sports/swimming-singapore-already-doing-national-joseph-schooling-mum-034630603.html

Joseph Schooling IS a Sgn. 

And I am happy tt his parents have brought him up well.

Aunty May is the typical Sgn mum

If he ever speaks a foul word, she will slap him! ☺  lol

And UNCLE Colin's comment after his son's win proves they are proud Sgns,

And Phleps is also a gentleman. Although he lpst, he was really nice to Schooling, all the way from the pool to the interview conference, twlling the media to focus on our Golden Boy.

Edited by FluteGuan

Guest Xiao Mei
28 minutes ago, Guest Sheeple said:

Schooling will get more than a sick taste of the fawning and obsequious ass kissing once he gets back. He will get so sick he needs therapy. :smokin::lol:

I forsee the following happening:

He arrived at Changi, the ministers will be there to take photo

He will have tea with LHL at the Istana

He will be put on open-roof bus and parade around orchard area to wave to the people

He will be the talking point in this upcoming National Day Rally

Sunday Times will have his photos run for pages, showing him shaking hands with President, PM and ministers

Mediacorp will have a special talk programmes about him in the near  future.

There will be intermitten talk about him, via main stream media, until year end.

He will be interviewed by different entertainment hosts on any programmes (TV or Radio), not just sports programmes

He will be hailed as the greatest achiever in Singapore when this country consolidate the local events during year-end

He will be waving to the people during chingay parade

Jack Neo may ponder about making him into a movie

He continues to make wave in other swimming competitions and will remain the talking point

He may be invited for advertisments.

1 hour ago, Guest National Anthem said:

I am sorry. But he cannot even lip sync our National Anthem. I do not feel proud at all. He is after all AMDK. If only Quah wins.

I can't even sing our National anthem and I forgot all the words of our country pledge. Yes, I have served NS full cycle too.

I am proud of him.

3 hours ago, Guest Brand said:

So young and now a millionaire. What an achievement for him and his family.  I hope he will not be used as political card for the govt.

Um, apparently the $1 million award is cut to less because 20% has to be given to the swimming association? So, sadly, he is not a millionaire...yet.  :frustrated:

1 minute ago, snowball said:

第一次,我为新加坡的运动的荣耀而感到无比的骄傲 :) 

绝对同意!

这份荣耀是约瑟林多年努力训练的成绩,也使我国一个小红点顿时成为国际焦点喔!

( 你们是否对他太苛刻了点呢?)

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

1 hour ago, Guest Rick said:

What about Grace Fu? Please explain when this hate to him did start?

Didn't you know that she took a superbly high-handed stance to nearly deny the entire nation of watching this momentous event live on TV, by claiming that it was a "commercial" matter that Mediacorpse did not want to get the rights to live video footage, and instead tried to sell us the notion that we can watch the event TEN HOURS LATER??

23 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I just watched the live broadcast of Joseph Schooling on the podium with the gold medal and all three Silver medallists, including Michael Phelps, next to him. Wah... made me so proud.

Not that I want to politicize this, but I really wonder what does Grace Fu have to say for now after this? http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/olympics-minister-fu-says-decision-to-not-telecast-live-action-from-rio-is-commercial-one As the Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, she couldn't even be bothered to fight for the rights to have this broadcast live in Singapore at the beginning. She instead took the fxxking easy way out to say "it's a commercial negotiation." And now, we managed to watch Joseph Schooling take the OLYMPICS GOLD MEDAL live on stage which made the entire nation proud, I really wonder what she has to say now?

I only wish none of those MIW go to Changi Airport to pose for picture with Schooling when he returns, just to pretend as if they did something big for him to make him the pride of our nation, when they didn't even want to step in to let the entire nation watch Schooling win the Gold medal live at the beginning.

Guest Singaporean
8 hours ago, massage_fan said:

Congrats Schooling !! You make Singapore proud of you !

Yeah, Schooling make Singaporeans proud too!

Joseph won Singapore's 1st Olympic gold. Job well done!

Now after he had won, suddenly everyone wants a piece of him. Simply disgusting! The media is after him, pictures of politicians smiling for him, SIA giving him a presentation, even PM inviting him to parliament! When he us back in SG, he will be hounded by the media and sure will kena paraded!

Hello everyone! Can we leave the poor boy alone! 

I am worried for his health. He strained so much and was in so much pressure. Win gold and everyone still cannot leave him alone.

I can see he is just a man who want to get things done and move on. He is not after riches or spotlight. Leave schooling alone!

Cannot stand media going after him i..ediately after that swim! After that press conference! Why cant they do the press conference the next day?

Media, please do not hound this man. Leave schooling alone!

What Joseph has done for Singapore at the Olympics is National Service in itself, his total training time since young far exceeds the 2 years NSF + 10 years ICT cycle. Not to mention his efforts put in also far exceeds any other NSF/reservist. He has brought far more pride to the nation than any other NSFs had. I hope the authorities can realise this and let him serve the nation in the swimming arena in his own way, rather than put him in army camp for 2 years and waste away this talent.

Edited by SuperSentai

皆々様には、御機嫌麗しゅう、恐悦至極に存じ奉ります。

2 hours ago, G_M said:

Get back to the topic!

Any out of topic post will be removed.

Hahaha the Feng Tianwei and PAP-cocksucking moderator is back again to abuse her authority and censor without reason.

Guest Meimei
29 minutes ago, SuperSentai said:

What Joseph has done for Singapore at the Olympics is National Service in itself, his total training time since young far exceeds the 2 years NSF + 10 years ICT cycle. Not to mention his efforts put in also far exceeds any other NSF/reservist. He has brought far more pride to the nation than any other NSFs had. I hope the authorities can realise this and let him serve the nation in the swimming arena in his own way, rather than put him in army camp for 2 years and waste away this talent.

Like how you leepuiscented sg ghey community in taiwan pride in that WAH! TIGHT FITTING iron man get up! You should be exempted, retired from attending all future pink dot right!!!! Eh eh! :wub:

Guest Mod FT
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Hahaha the Feng Tianwei and PAP-cocksucking moderator is back again to abuse her authority and censor without reason.

wow...BW also have FT Mod.....

14 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Um, apparently the $1 million award is cut to less because 20% has to be given to the swimming association? So, sadly, he is not a millionaire...yet.  :frustrated:

Ooops minus taxes only 650k...

• Guest locked this topic