Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

Then can we talk about alternative soundtrack that no one knows but invokes a deep certain sense of emotion?

I heard this piece of short music when I was very young, which left a very deep impression. Its was like a sad funeral wake music. It was years later I found out that it came from the 1976 movie, Carrie, the sad much bullied social outcast who possessed amazing, very powerful telekinesis mind power.

This music speaks and relates to me alot, but I can't tell you why, yet.

The music came into the kitchen scene, when Carrie, using her mind power, threw flying knives at her mother who was about to stab her.

And you would remember the scene where the mother was killed, being stabbed and nailed to the door by the knives...

Someone perfomed this piece on a church organ, and it was brilliantly done...

I find this pece of music, invokes a sense of self realization for deep redemption, from a deep remorse, when one wilfully or unintentionally, leashes out an unseen inner power, that can hurt or kill someone in that process.

It is a deep remorse, which seems to seek for a forgiveness...

There are damages that we have done, are irreversible...

Well here's my recommendation...and it's not Kate Bush related :)

Not my cup of tea, but nicey, thanks.

It is the first release from Kate's new label: "Fish People" and is the first single from the forth coming album Director's Cut.

Fish People? She's really a weirdo.

Tori had being compared to Kate Bush endlessly by the media, as thought Tori stole the idea of being Kate, then modified it be her success... but I still can't see any smiliarity here between the two big artists

I think Tori (esp. circa her Myra Ellen Amos days) sounds closer to Laura Nyro.

(Go listen to the original studio version too. I have chosen the live version simply because she sounds more like Tori here.)

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMAGwMAXTpU

Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky

One of the band's more commercial-oriented records, but the songwriting is all-time high too.

Alt-R&B:

"Sincerely, Jane", Janelle Monae

If you like Janelle, you should try Erykah Badu too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HStSKy2Ck9k

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Let's keep this thread alive!!! I'm posting one of my all time favourite Rickie Lee Jones. She has a new album out, well not very new I think called Balm in Gilead. Good for a lonely rainy afternoon. She's my soul sister walking in heaven's light, on a different calibre altogether.

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Heard about Rickie Lee Jones before, but haven't really given her works a chance. Nice recommendation, she sounds like the missing link between Joni Mitchell and all those Lilith Fair artists.

California by Joni Mitchell

In Liverpool by Suzanne Vega, a frequent Lilith Fair headliner

Thanks for the vote of confidence and nod of approval. Suzanne Vega rocks big time!! I love her too!! Thanks for bringing her up. Now I gotta go back into my CD collection and dig her up to relive her music .

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

As early as 5 I simply love Pink Floyd...

The darkness in their music is somehow sexual, revolutionary, powerfully anti government, anti-establishments message, all which are the common traits found in the 60s hippie woodstock music movement, spilled over into the 70s' rock.

One of my fav...Wish You Were Here...

And this also.....if you really hate school and all the educational rules. In the 80s, most of Pink Floyd's MTV were banned or restricted to be broadcasted, because of their very sensitive and suggestive contents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l1-QbsU5gA&feature=related

Thanks for the vote of confidence and nod of approval. Suzanne Vega rocks big time!! I love her too!! Thanks for bringing her up. Now I gotta go back into my CD collection and dig her up to relive her music .

Interestingly, her new project, a play, has just opened in Broadway...

carson-header.jpg

As early as 5 I simply love Pink Floyd...

I was waiting for Pink Floyd to pop out, since we've basically discussed David Gilmour's personal protege (Kate Bush), the engineer of Pink Floyd's most critically-acclaimed album (Alan Parsons), and their torch-bearing successor (Radiohead).

Surprised to see Pink Floyd coming into your world at age 5. That's really young.

I was waiting for Pink Floyd to pop out, since we've basically discussed David Gilmour's personal protege (Kate Bush), the engineer of Pink Floyd's most critically-acclaimed album (Alan Parsons), and their torch-bearing successor (Radiohead).

Surprised to see Pink Floyd coming into your world at age 5. That's really young.

I grew up with a family where I was exposed to a huge range of music at a very young age. Particularly from my uncle and later my brother, who was a DJ.

Not only Pink Floyd.....one of my darkest liking , was Alice Cooper's 1975 albumn...Welcome to Nightmare....

I seriously believe that when they played it non stopped, and allowing the music to slowly eats into me, it was conjuring up the dark side in me at a very age. My warpness included !

Years Ago and Steven is actually a continuated narration, of the mind adventures of a pyscho ...

Two songs that epitomize the beauty and celebrate the nature of a pyscho, and a very painful depression. There seems to be pleasure, coming out of this pain. Its is such duality and dichotomy, that I find it very....fascinating and intriging

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwAHScQ6n5I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZPI39w6jlU&feature=related

Edited by TheVisitors

Director's Cut will be available for pre-order on iTunes from 5th April 2011 and will be released worldwide on 16th May 2011

Just listened to Director's Cut.

Interesting new angle at her songs from The Sensual World and The Red Shoes. And she sings using her lower register. Not exactly among her best but is certainly interesting.

Have anyone heard of this female singer called Diamanda Galas?

I have two or three Cds whaich were given by my friend's ex white American bf, before he left the country and just after they split up.

One of her cd pic was her eating a microphone, and her face all covered with blood.

It bit demonic, yet creative, she does sounds and create her style of music like the female version of Alice Cooper.

I find her music abit too hard to handle, hard to digest and abit painful to the ears and brains.

Maybe some of you out there may like her.

Have anyone heard of this female singer called Diamanda Galas?

I have two or three Cds whaich were given by my friend's ex white American bf, before he left the country and just after they split up.

One of her cd pic was her eating a microphone, and her face all covered with blood.

It bit demonic, yet creative, she does sounds and create her style of music like the female version of Alice Cooper.

I find her music abit too hard to handle, hard to digest and abit painful to the ears and brains.

Maybe some of you out there may like her.

I have 7 of her albums on my computer. Found her to be too 'out there' too.

Esp. her earlier works like Litanies of Satan, which almost literally sounded like exorcism chants.

Anyone rememember this group called The Cure?

One of my fav group. But I later heard they were all gay.

This is two of my fav from their collection.

The lullaby . Pretty sexual. The thought of being slowly eaten and devoured by a spider, is like being defeated and sexually devoured by a group of hot guys !

Some time back, when I opted to do the 200metres bundgy dive jump in NZ, I remembered the excitement of death ringing in my head, its like...wow what if I did die if I dont survive this jump this time. But I will die doing something I always wanted to do, except that I will die hanging upside down.

AS I stared at the deep river valley, standed at the very edgy before I jumped, and as the cold wind blew against my face,and the temperature up there in the hills were abit freezing....I dont know why, this song entered into my head, moments just before I made my dive.

This video is well creatively done.

Anyone rememember this group called The Cure?

One of my fav group. But I later heard they were all gay.

Heard The Cure before, enjoyed them too.

They were all gay? Didn't know about that. Any link?

Since we're veering towards goth-oriented music, I think some of you might enjoy Nick Cave's music.

First is from his early post-punk band, The Birthday Party. When Nick went WOOF WOOF on the refrain it almost seemed that he recorded the thing right on an asylum. Crazy. Smart.

Another one is his haunting duet with Kylie Minogue, a haunting tale of the protagonist killing a girl he likes to preserve the memory of her beauty. I always get goosebumps on the line: "They call me the Wild Rose, but my name was Elisa Day." Epic.

Edited by derryfawne

I have 7 of her albums on my computer. Found her to be too 'out there' too.

Esp. her earlier works like Litanies of Satan, which almost literally sounded like exorcism chants.

So why do you have 7 of her album? Satanic music...like the kind you play backwards and you hear a message?? PASS!!!!

So why do you have 7 of her album? Satanic music...like the kind you play backwards and you hear a message?? PASS!!!!

There was a period of time in my life when I was discovering the limit of music and listened to various experimental music (or rather, non-music).

On the pro side, Diamanda Galas has a remarkably versatile vocal ability; not on the Mariah Carey sense of the word, but more like Mike Patton-lite stuff (who fronted bands like Faith No More and Mr. Bungle; he also guested on Bjork's Medulla). I don't think her music has backwards Satanic messages. I see her as a post-modern performance art answer to Siouxsie and the Banshees; theatrically exaggerrated, but should be taken as seriously as your average creepy horror movies.

More recommendations... some synth-goth from Depeche Mode. Not so scary, but the choice of melodies is downright haunting:

And then there's some industrial-rock from Nine Inch Nails. This video is a work of freaking art:

Edited by derryfawne

There was a period of time in my life when I was discovering the limit of music and listened to various experimental music (or rather, non-music).

On the pro side, Diamanda Galas has a remarkably versatile vocal ability; not on the Mariah Carey sense of the word, but more like Mike Patton-lite stuff (who fronted bands like Faith No More and Mr. Bungle; he also guested on Bjork's Medulla). I don't think her music has backwards Satanic messages. I see her as a post-modern performance art answer to Siouxsie and the Banshees; theatrically exaggerrated, but should be taken as seriously as your average creepy horror movies.

More recommendations... some synth-goth from Depeche Mode. Not so scary, but the choice of melodies is downright haunting:

And then there's some industrial-rock from Nine Inch Nails. This video is a work of freaking art:

And you are only 20? Your musical tastes far exceed your age :)))

And you are only 20? Your musical tastes far exceed your age :)))

Haha, thanks. :) I do enjoy music from the yesteryears up to the 1950s, but the 1990s remain as my main playing ground.

What's your favorite decade?

Haha, thanks. :) I do enjoy music from the yesteryears up to the 1950s, but the 1990s remain as my main playing ground.

What's your favorite decade?

Mine kind of truly blossomed in the early years of 2000 and onwards with the surge of the indie underground movement.

There is another Female singer whose categorized with Tori Amos...

Have you guys totally forgot to mention...Fiona Apple...???

Fiona Apple is awesomenezz. My favorite from her is Paper Bag, Not About Love, Fast As You Can, Extraordinary Machine, a lot really. Her lyrics are ALWAYS interesting to read through too.

And while we're still at Tori Amos comparison:

Regina Spektor - Samson (a generic pick, I know... but this works best as introduction)

Imogen Heap - Come Here Boy (her classic moments definitely lie on her electro tunes, but man does she rock the piano too?)

Love Erykah Badu, DM, NIN, The Cure... pretty much everything listed so far.

Anyone into Meshell Ndegeocello? Talk about the perfect music for lovemaking..

Also:

Ruby Blue by Roisin Murphy.

I love both your recommendations. Meshell sounds like Sade crossed with Portishead, if that makes sense. Roisin Murphy is just unique, I don't even know how to describe it... electro-noise-soul? It sounds as if a non-belting Adele has given Bjork's Declare Independence one too many listen and decided to record her own version.

Mine kind of truly blossomed in the early years of 2000 and onwards with the surge of the indie underground movement.

I see. The early 2000s was great, I agree.

I think the decade kinda lost steam halfway though, esp. when Pitchfork began to hype mediocre bands (that have an interesting idea or two, but nothing else to offer).

For me, the Alternative Artist "not named Radiohead" of the Decade is the White Stripes. You've probably been overexposed to "Seven Nation Army" (even MTV played it nonstop), so here's something else:

Most certainly the White Stripes rocks big time! But like most acts that started out as obscure alternative bands that made it big, it just killed the White Stripes for me....and I blame MTV!!!

Anyway, Massive Attackers!!! Remember these classics???? Teardrop....featuring gorgeous Liz Fraser vocals. I Want You featuring Maddie vocals. GORGEOUS!!!

Anyone fancies some straight-up catchy punk? Gifted with melodic hooks, too bad The Yo-Yo's never found much success:

And if you like garage/punk/grunge/or the aesthetic of aggression in general, here's your big big big grandparent. Definitely the 'most ear-splitting' band of the 1960s, throat-shredding The Sonics mostly remain as obscurity nowadays, but their music is an undeniable classic:

Most certainly the White Stripes rocks big time! But like most acts that started out as obscure alternative bands that made it big, it just killed the White Stripes for me....and I blame MTV!!!

Anyway, Massive Attackers!!! Remember these classics???? Teardrop....featuring gorgeous Liz Fraser vocals. I Want You featuring Maddie vocals. GORGEOUS!!!

Love Massive Attack too. My favorite is Safe from Harm.

no one plays this game anymore nowadays, but... what are your desert island discs?

I know this is an alternative music thread, but I'll have to bring all four Avril Lavigne records. :oops:

If there's still room for one more album, it's a dead heat fight between Tori's Little Earthquakes (perfection from start to end) and Radiohead's OK Computer (some weak tracks, but the five tracks that span from Paranoid Android to Karma Police is beyond perfection... just about the best thing ever put on tape).

no one plays this game anymore nowadays, but... what are your desert island discs?

Aaargghhh!!!! I hate this game!!! Cannot choose!!! Can I bring all my 2000 CDs collection?? PLEEZE? :):):)

Funny how no one brought up our Mando-pop alternative queen....Faye Wong x Cocteau Twins = Serpentskirt. Another classic!!!!

Edited by Avecinfuser

:thumb:

Yeah, it's freaking digital age. Can just bring one laptop to the desert island and... ta-dah! You have your whole music collection. :thumb:

Hey Regina Specktor whom you recommended is really awesome...!! :thumb:

Ever heard of Mazzy Star?

I was packing my cds and my room this afternoon that I found a Mazzy Star cd. That cd was given to me by my ex Japanese bf as a gift (that was his fav cd) before he left here. He was retrenched and left for NYC.

When he was here, he formed a Japanese rock band , and played the drums and guitar.

A very tempermental and eccentric but romantic character, he used to play this piece over and over again, when he was smoking.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WsePN-Lmyo

:thumb:

Hey Regina Specktor whom you recommended is really awesome...!! :thumb:

Ever heard of Mazzy Star?

I was packing my cds and my room this afternoon that I found a Mazzy Star cd. That cd was given to me by my ex Japanese bf as a gift (that was his fav cd) before he left here. He was retrenched and left for NYC.

When he was here, he formed a Japanese rock band , and played the drums and guitar.

A very tempermental and eccentric but romantic character, he used to play this piece over and over again, when he was smoking.......

OMG!!! Mazzy Star!!! Hope Sandoval I LOVE YOU!!! Her solo albums with another band The Warm Inventions are awesome too. If you like Mazzy Star, check out Mojave 3....similar kinda music.

There was a Jane Siberry which not many people could remember. There was this hit - Temple - under her albumn - When I was a Boy - which I thought it was quite erotic.

She was did a duet with KD Lang - Calling All Angels - which was on the chart for a short period.

Edited by TheVisitors

There was a Jane Siberry which not many people could remember. There was this hit - Temple - under her albumn - When I was a Boy - which I thought it was quite erotic.

She was did a duet with KD Lang - Calling All Angels - which was on the chart for a short period.

It seems that we have a lot of similar tastes :) I love Jane Siberry too and I think I have her Maria album. Now must go dig up the CD again to listen.

Ha you are like 15mins walk from my house !

Well there is no specific mention of your location in your profile, so I'll just have to take your word for it....or just play your alternative music loud loud and I will follow it :)

Very surprised that no one even mentioned Sinead O'connor

Ah, the Pope-ripper. My favorite tracks mostly come from her earlier works: Jerusalem, Mandika, and of course Nothing Compares 2 U.

I'm totally digging Red Hot Chili Peppers recently. Their music blends funk with rock (and to an extent, rap) so neatly. And I think Anthony Kiedis (the lead singer) has one of the warmest vocal timbre in the alternative rock scene.

Very surprised that no one even mentioned Sinead O'connor

This is one track I like from the albumn The Universal Mother..

Aarrgghh!! Once again I must go dig up my CD collection for her. She's been so quiet of late that I've buried her deep inside the recesses of my storage waiting for the light of day. Thank you for reminding that such a beautiful soul like hers still exists in this world. Sinead....Pope-hating or not....you are always my girl.

Ah, the Pope-ripper. My favorite tracks mostly come from her earlier works: Jerusalem, Mandika, and of course Nothing Compares 2 U.

I'm totally digging Red Hot Chili Peppers recently. Their music blends funk with rock (and to an extent, rap) so neatly. And I think Anthony Kiedis (the lead singer) has one of the warmest vocal timbre in the alternative rock scene.

It's about time male vocalists be given the equal thumbs-up! smile.gif

Sinead O'Connor also reminded me of Terry Hall,
who in turned reminded me of Dave A Steward (one-half of Terry Hall's project, Vegas);
and Ian Broudie of The Lightning Seeds fame, whose single SENSE was co-written by Terry Hall too.

I missed The Lightning Seeds, and my all time favourite from them is...

Edited by steppenwolf

It's about time male vocalists be given the equal thumbs-up! :)

Sinead O'Connor also reminded me of Terry Hall,

who in turned reminded me of Dave A Steward (one-half of Terry Hall's project, Vegas);

and Ian Broudie of The Lightning Seeds fame, whose single SENSE was co-written by Terry Hall too.

I missed The Lightning Seeds, and my all time favourite from them is...

OMG!!! The Lightning Seeds I love them. Have their albums Jollification and Dizzy Heights, really good stuff. Here's a trip down memory lane for Dubstar lovers. Both tracks Stars and Not So Manic Now are $!^*| gem classics. My growing up anthems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCW53mSd0hs

Guest Ironrod

Hehehe looks like some of you really old school but I would like to share my favorite Chinese alternative group

如果看見地獄,我就不怕魔鬼

My Favorite song :D even sing a lot of time in KTV lol

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.