Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

My main problem with Oasis is that all their songs sound the same. And while they are melodic, there's nothing about their music that hasn't been done to death before. Their music is also so overproduced to that loudness point whereby your ears are too exhausted to discern what notes the guitars and strings are playing. the drum beats are all swallowed up too. I do like Wonderwall, though.

wonderwall brings back memories of me in perth in the late nineties.

along with champagne supernova

Guest Asperger

I know this is an alternative music thread, but I'll have to bring all four Avril Lavigne records. :oops:

i m going to abuse the annonymity of the internet and say . . . ME TOO!! this is not something someone more than . . . eh . . . twenty-eight should confess to without blushing (damn your youth, derry :P) . . .

Guest Black_Hat

As you sit within the cool confines of the air-conditioned car, this song slowly emerges from the stereo as it passes through streetlamps, trees and starry skies in the effulgent night. Bringing forth a wistful yearning in your heart and soothing your tired soul, as you lay at the back seat wondering about tomorrow's eccentricities. Her lush, sorrowful vocals permeate through your skin cells with soft, atmospheric exuberance. Than a tear falls from your left eye as the car continues to drive into the wonderless night.

Edited by Black_Hat

Yay, we have more and more contributors. :thumb:

i m going to abuse the annonymity of the internet and say . . . ME TOO!! this is not something someone more than . . . eh . . . twenty-eight should confess to without blushing (damn your youth, derry :P) . . .

I love you. :P

============================================================

Let's try something different, what about some psychedelic-influenced folk music?

I love Donovan's warm bassy vocal tone, which sounds like a cello to me.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Remember this piece?

Wonderful Life by Black?

It was considered as an alternative music movement in the late 80s. Apparently I heard when it first came out, the music industry didnt know how to categorize it.

Sounds like a "sad piece of sexual" music. A little repressed but a will to search for the wonderful meaning of life.

Edited by TheVisitors

Somewhat under the radar. "None of dem", Robyn featuring Royksopp.

Wow very nice, never knew Royksopp was this good. But then again Robyn kinda elevated the song to a whole new level. Good recommendation! Me like!!!

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Let's try something different, what about some psychedelic-influenced folk music?

How about some psychedelic dance music courtesy of Fantastic Plastic Machine? Groovy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GANp8q7RFyQ

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Wow very nice, never knew Royksopp was this good. But then again Robyn kinda elevated the song to a whole new level. Good recommendation! Me like!!!

I like Roykshopp, but I never really understand the appeal of Robyn. Can someone enlighten me? :huh:

How about some psychedelic dance music courtesy of Fantastic Plastic Machine? Groovy!!!

They sound cute. :)

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Dunno if what I wanna post is alternative... but I guess it's different enough. Please forgive me if I'm wrong!

"The two of us are living in the same era, believing in the same future

Yesterday’s tears and today’s smiles will stay true

We’ve experienced the same pain, we’ve gathered the same kindness

And we’ll turn them into the strength to live on tomorrow"

progress - ayumi hamasaki

I like Roykshopp, but I never really understand the appeal of Robyn. Can someone enlighten me? :huh:

To me Robyn is like the quirky 2000 version of Miss Lauper, she is androgynous, has eccentric styles in clothes and other than that hit With Every Heartbeat, I think she is very underrated. Her so called comeback album last year didn't generate much success even though it's critically lauded. I for one also don't really see the appeal of Robyn, never really got into her music. If it's 90's influenced pop-synth music, I'd rather listen to La Roux.

I do that sometimes. Do you?

"To be honest I really don't care..."

OMG!!! Dancer In The Dark!!! A truly most disturbing film....powerful, moving, epic and awesome!!! Changed my life forever after watching it.

To me Robyn is like the quirky 2000 version of Miss Lauper, she is androgynous, has eccentric styles in clothes and other than that hit With Every Heartbeat, I think she is very underrated. Her so called comeback album last year didn't generate much success even though it's critically lauded. I for one also don't really see the appeal of Robyn, never really got into her music. If it's 90's influenced pop-synth music, I'd rather listen to La Roux.

Not familiar with La Roux, but tried sampling some of their songs and I already prefer them to Robyn.

Cyndi Lauper, hmmm... if Robyn is really derivative of her, then that explains why 'coz I'm not even that BIG a Cyndi Lauper fan to begin with. Cyndi Lauper at least has that cool raspy tone and her vocal range is crazy wide, Robyn appears slightly less versatile in comparison (sorry, Robyn fans). This is not alternative, but I really love her gay anthem 'True Colors', such an empowering song for PLU to take courage and show their true colors, sort of 'Beautiful' for the pre-Aguilera generation.

Any favorite gay anthem from alternative/non-alternative artists?

Edited by derryfawne

More psychedelic genius, this time from the funk scene:

If you like early soul music, this is your food. Addictive grooves, and crazy low notes!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=YEi7GPkxfsE

Anyone wants to chill dance along

With

Me to this

Song?

Oooh, Fleetwood Mac! I haven't really went deep into their catalog but I love their hits.

Some of you may cringe, but I like The Corrs' rendition of this song (and I like The Corrs too!).

Sure, I'll chill along with you on this song. :hat:

Guest Black_Hat

More psychedelic genius, this time from the funk scene:

If you like early soul music, this is your food. Addictive grooves, and crazy low notes!

Oooh, Fleetwood Mac! I haven't really went deep into their catalog but I love their hits.

Some of you may cringe, but I like The Corrs' rendition of this song (and I like The Corrs too!).

Sure, I'll chill along with you on this song. :hat:

You are making me blush like a tomato derryfawne.

Meanwhile, i shall prepped myself up with this song before my ultimate duel with my nemesis.

bYE!

Looking at the Kill Bill Nippon-influenced video clip, I can't help but bring up the Japanese quirky style of alternative music, mainly those that I know of are the sounds of Yoshinori Sunahara and Yukihiro Fukutomi, the co-producer of Pizzicato Five.

This is our lesbian du jour k.d. lang...I love her neo-country sound, she is the chanteuse of my gay forming years. My favourite album is her 2000 album Invincible Summer. I'm not sure if she has been mentioned here. But just in case she wasn't, I must give her due mention. She is one of those rare gem of a voice that poke around sophisticated pop and had that breakthrough hit Constant Craving. But one thing I like about her is that when she hit the big time and won accolades and became successful, she quickly slipped into obscurity again and consistently came up with non-mainstream sounds and albums that made her....well, invincible! Enjoy Summerfling....she looked so cool, dashing and handsome in this vid.

Not familiar with La Roux, but tried sampling some of their songs and I already prefer them to Robyn.

Cyndi Lauper, hmmm... if Robyn is really derivative of her, then that explains why 'coz I'm not even that BIG a Cyndi Lauper fan to begin with. Cyndi Lauper at least has that cool raspy tone and her vocal range is crazy wide, Robyn appears slightly less versatile in comparison (sorry, Robyn fans). This is not alternative, but I really love her gay anthem 'True Colors', such an empowering song for PLU to take courage and show their true colors, sort of 'Beautiful' for the pre-Aguilera generation.

Any favorite gay anthem from alternative/non-alternative artists?

Sorry to correct you on this. True colour was not written for gay freedom and acceptance.

Years ago in Vox, there was an interview with her regarding this song.

Lauper did not have a colourful childhood. She was plagued by child abuse, a dysfunctional family, and poverty. In addition she was an outcast in her school days, and was often bullied by the school kids.

There were moments she escaped from all her troubles, by running to the beach, and played with paper dolls , cut from the newpapers, simply because she couldn't afford any toys.

True colours was written in celebration of her own freedom, which she finally discovered, her birth right to feel love, to be loved , also celebrating her success , in struggling with her demons, converting all her self pity, self hate, into self love and compassion.

It was written , as a hope for those who are still struggling to discover their happiness , and in hope , that they will join her, in that journey, seeking their own self worth, against all odds.

This is our lesbian du jour k.d. lang...I love her neo-country sound, she is the chanteuse of my gay forming years. My favourite album is her 2000 album Invincible Summer. I'm not sure if she has been mentioned here. But just in case she wasn't, I must give her due mention. She is one of those rare gem of a voice that poke around sophisticated pop and had that breakthrough hit Constant Craving. But one thing I like about her is that when she hit the big time and won accolades and became successful, she quickly slipped into obscurity again and consistently came up with non-mainstream sounds and albums that made her....well, invincible! Enjoy Summerfling....she looked so cool, dashing and handsome in this vid.

I never thought much of Kd Lang. Not because I have anything against Lesbians. In fact some of my close friends, are lesbians.

Some one recently did change my mind about her , with this song - Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. I have heard this song before, but I have to admit, after listening to her, her's is invariably one of the best versions.

Basically, besides biblical quotes, it was written about people who practice their religion, blindly, without truly questioning and understanding the real teachings of their founders.

It is times like these, you would stop, to realize, the world is in such a mess, due to religious intolerance, leading to crusades, wars and terrorism, from people who distorted the original pure teachings and virtues, manipulating the masses with such distortions, for their own selfish political gains and agendas.

Spend one morning in London's Speaker's Corner near Mable Arch , and you can experience the views of religious fanatics.

It can be very disturbing, and frightening.

Listen carefully to how Lang sings the word Hallelujah - you can feel the hopelessness, the disappointment, and the cynicism.

Sorry to correct you on this. True colour was not written for gay freedom and acceptance.

I can see where you're coming from.

However, most gay anthems do not come about by being written to be one, but rather adopted by the gay community due to its strong empowering message. A song is about as good as its interpretation; 'True Colors' is widely-known as a gay anthem. Her annual LGBT-friendly True Colors Tour clearly shows that Cyndi Lauper herself is aware of this and has approved this interpretation.

However, most gay anthems do not come about by being written to be one, but rather adopted by the gay community due to its strong empowering message. A song is about as good as its interpretation; 'True Colors' is widely-known as a gay anthem. Her annual LGBT-friendly True Colors Tour clearly shows that Cyndi Lauper herself is aware of this and has approved this interpretation.

It was written, originally meant for the search and discovery of one's self worth and inner beauty, and not for the gays.

It was the gays, who later interpreted the song according to their situation, taking the song as their anthem.

Lauper was aware that the song, universally embraces people of the same similar parallel sentimental plight, allowed the gays to take the song to be their personal tempo.

Interestingly enough, that song was used for some commercial some years ago.

Selling insurance I think.

I don't know should I drop this song here or in the other thread.

This is Alternatively Abba.

Surprisingly, many Abba fans don't even know this piece of song existed, was written and performed, in their album, Arrival.

Amazingly written, and sung.

One piece not to be missed hearing.

Cyndi Lauper is a great supporter of the HIV/Aids cause in the US, raising awareness and funds for the LGBT community.

I never thought much of Kd Lang. Not because I have anything against Lesbians. In fact some of my close friends, are lesbians.

Some one recently did change my mind about her , with this song - Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. I have heard this song before, but I have to admit, after listening to her, her's is invariably one of the best versions.

Basically, besides biblical quotes, it was written about people who practice their religion, blindly, without truly questioning and understanding the real teachings of their founders.

It is times like these, you would stop, to realize, the world is in such a mess, due to religious intolerance, leading to crusades, wars and terrorism, from people who distorted the original pure teachings and virtues, manipulating the masses with such distortions, for their own selfish political gains and agendas.

Spend one morning in London's Speaker's Corner near Mable Arch , and you can experience the views of religious fanatics.

It can be very disturbing, and frightening.

Listen carefully to how Lang sings the word Hallelujah - you can feel the hopelessness, the disappointment, and the cynicism.

Interestingly, Hallelujah came from KD Lang's 2004 album "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" that is neither religious or biblical. It is an album of cover versions of her favourite Canadian songwriters which other than Leonard Cohen include people like Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Jane Siberry, Bruce Cockburn and Ron Sexsmith.

sweetest kill by broken social scene

aptly kinda diggin this track for zoning out the afternoon.

paradise circus by massive attack

currently this on the loop.

Just some tracks to share on a lazy Wednesday afternoon. :lol:

oh well the devil makes us sin but we like it when we're spinning, in his grin.

aptly kinda diggin this track for zoning out the afternoon.

currently this on the loop.

Just some tracks to share on a lazy Wednesday afternoon. :lol:

Good recommendations ziddyzid, 2 very lovely, lovely, lovely tracks! I especially dig the Massive Attack's Paradise Circus from their Heligoland album.

beautiful set by sufjan stevens

the whole album by Beirut is just made for walking on Le Marais in spritely endeavours of Spring/

:B)

OMG!!! 2 very dishy, hot, great sounding guys. I mean who is Sufjan Stevens? He looks and sounds like an adorable version of Erlend Øye. I'm downloading him right now :)

OMG!!! 2 very dishy, hot, great sounding guys. I mean who is Sufjan Stevens? He looks and sounds like an adorable version of Erlend Øye. I'm downloading him right now :)

I had too much time "nua-ing" to this playlist while i am having a frustrating tussle with InDesign the whole afternoon. Thus, i just had to share them around. Afterall, good things are best scattered and shared.

He was part of the folk re-insurgency in indie genre along with counterpart like beirut, kings of convenience or peter, bjorn and john. Sufjan sSevens were part of my love affair of summer 2006 wafting through the walls of design school. Reminiscence put in a song.

He flowed into the scene in 2005 but only got on recognition bandwagon early 2006. Sufjan Stevens has that dorky quirk laidback appeal which I find incredibly attractive. Quiet but very much infectious.

They're just too good in your Ipod while idling the afternoon away with sun rays seeping through the glass windows.

There's definitely more in my junk of songs but i'll save that for another time. I'm glad you like the recommendations. :lol:

Guest Asperger

Cyndi Lauper is a great supporter of the HIV/Aids cause in the US, raising awareness and funds for the LGBT community.

My all-time favourite Cyndi song . . . I have never met another human being in the 21st century who has heard this song before I told them about it:

wow u guys have a mad sense of music.. unlike me, only like pop.. J/K-pop at that

"The two of us are living in the same era, believing in the same future

Yesterday’s tears and today’s smiles will stay true

We’ve experienced the same pain, we’ve gathered the same kindness

And we’ll turn them into the strength to live on tomorrow"

progress - ayumi hamasaki

Guest Asperger

Interestingly, Hallelujah came from KD Lang's 2004 album "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" that is neither religious or biblical. It is an album of cover versions of her favourite Canadian songwriters which other than Leonard Cohen include people like Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Jane Siberry, Bruce Cockburn and Ron Sexsmith.

k d lang did a new version of the song in her greatest hits album, "Recollection". Not available on youtube though.

Guest Asperger

anyone remembers Shakespears Sister? They were famous for the hit single "Stay". But they really had a number of other equally great off-beat songs with quirky lyrics:

Guest Asperger

this one is interesting: a duet by two of my favourite singers: Tori and Cyndi! It was from a David Bryne (Talking Heads) and Fatboy Slim concept album on Imelda Marcos, called "Here Lies Love". Do note that the apparent neediness and silliness of the song is because it needs to be listened as part of the whole album :-) no video is available, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Nt4AdfvQE

Guest Black_Hat

RAPPPPTUUUURRREEEE !!! And that silly rap about men from mars eating cars. Makes me want to dance in the dancehall in rapture.

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand ! No promises, no demands. LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD!

I wanna dance so bad . Into the break of dawn on the city streets.

80s rock/pop/whatever is so rad.

Edited by Black_Hat

anyone remembers Shakespears Sister? They were famous for the hit single "Stay". But they really had a number of other equally great off-beat songs with quirky lyrics:

Thanks for bringing them up. The unforgettable Shakespeare's Sister is one part Bananarama's Siobhan Fahey and one part Marcella Detroit. Love their amazing voices, though after that hit song and becoming successful like winning some Brit Award, they kinda split up and Shakespeare's Sister became just Fahey. How about some French alternative music?? In the likes of Bertrand Burgalat and Benjamin Biolay.

Listened to BSS before, but not very familiar with their works except that Canadian songwriter Feist participated at some point in time. Beautiful music, beautiful singing, try it:

Heligoland is definitely on my Top 15 favorite album from the 2010.

One of my favourites... Cocorosie's Lemonade

The phrasing is Bjork-ian. Interesting.

beautiful set by sufjan stevens

the whole album by Beirut is just made for walking on Le Marais in spritely endeavours of Spring/

I remember the first time I heard Beirut. My friend plugged an iPod into my ears and I was like, "This sounds like Sufjan Stevens."

Anyone else with me on their stylistic similarity?

My all-time favourite Cyndi song . . . I have never met another human being in the 21st century who has heard this song before I told them about it:

Add your count to 1. :)

I never really paid much attention to this song before, though, and I guess you're right. Now I'm loving this song.

Uh, I like I like. So quirky and fun.

this one is interesting: a duet by two of my favourite singers: Tori and Cyndi! It was from a David Bryne (Talking Heads) and Fatboy Slim concept album on Imelda Marcos, called "Here Lies Love". Do note that the apparent neediness and silliness of the song is because it needs to be listened as part of the whole album :-) no video is available, though.

That's interesting. Never realized that they did a duet together. This reminds me of a fan-made Kate Bush-Tori Amos duet, which I find pretty good.

RAPPPPTUUUURRREEEE !!! And that silly rap about men from mars eating cars. Makes me want to dance in the dancehall in rapture.

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand ! No promises, no demands. LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD!

Love both artists. I have the whole Blondie catalog in my computer. :lol: Their hits are marvelous.

You can say both Beirut and Sufjan stevens have the same leaning in their structure of music arrangement (orchestrated in sound). I felt it too.

However, Sufjan's sounds are based on the idea of folkloric singing clashing with polished orchestra with religious american gospel slant.

Beirut relies more on accordion in most of their tracks that it becomes kinda of their signature. Plus, you can hear the tune of Eastern European and Balkan Folk influence which makes the music more World genre.

These two bands are very similar and not very different in direction but difference is in the sound detail. Well, that is if you micro-screening the music like me. Don't mind me ;) Hahaha. Afterall, good music is still good music and let's not complicate it. Just breathe and enjoy!

Oh, yes Heligoland is one of my top recommended albums for now.

On a lighter note, here's Friendly Fires (Aeroplane Remix feat. Au Revoir Simone). Just ignore the gold Paris Hilton. My most repeated track while doing vacuuming the flat. Haha

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.