Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

Thread Started By: metalmickey

Posted: February 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Any fans of Indie or Underground Pop music here? Indie pop is alternative or underground music from artistes/bands that are on independent record labels, as opposed to the usual mainstream pop (like Gwen Stefani, Pussycat Dolls, Nelly Furtado, Timbaland, Timberlake, etc) on major labels. Modern indie music is the latter-day "descendant" of the punk and new wave or post-punk movements of the late 1970s to early 1980s.

Some of the contemporary indie artistes/ bands I like include Belle & Sebastian, Death Cab for Cutie, John Vanderslice, Nada Surf, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, and a few others. Some of my favourite "veteran" or classic indie artistes/bands include The Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Magazine, Gary Numan, Gang of Four, The Cure, Joy Division, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, Television, The Ramones, Blondie, The Clash, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Public Image Limited, The Smiths, The Jesus & Mary Chain, New Order (they used to be Joy Division, but changed their name after their lead singer-songwriter Ian Curtis committed suicide), Nirvana, Mudhoney, Husker Du, Sugar, The Primitives, etc. As you can see, I'm a very big fan of the punk and post-punk scene of the late 70s to early 80s.

Any body else with similar or different taste in music? Please share what you think are the merits of the artistes/bands you like and why you like or don't like certain artistes/bands. Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment 01: bigtommyboysg

Posted: February 25, 2008 12:21 pm

i dig the stuff u liked metalmickey. but thats just the tip of the iceberg.

one band missing though - no Sonic Youth? they make beautiful and challenging stuff. as Juno mentioned in the movie - they just make noise. but what great noise.... heh..

btw is ur nick derived from the Suede song?

wink.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment 02: metalmickey

Posted: February 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Ah yes! Sonic Youth! How could I forget to mention them! I dig them too. But not so much these days. I tend to go for more mellow or laid-back music these days from the likes of Belle & Sebastian and Death Cab for Cutie.

If you like Sonic Youth, how about My Bloody Valentine? I really loved it when some of its music was featured in Lost in Translation, which IMHO has got to be a "future classic cult" film. Really loved the closing scene with Bob's cab ride to the airport fading out to "Just Like Honey" by The Jesus & Mary Chain. Such a f@#king perfect, absolutely unforgettable ending ... smile.gif

I like some stuff by Suede, but I was never really into them, 'cos they really remind too much of David Bowie's glam years. Bowie is one of my all-time fave artistes, too. As for my nick, you'd be interested to know that Suede got if off a once popular British kids' sit-com of the same name. Here's a link to a site for the show: http://www.itv.com/BestofITV/kids/MetalMickey/default.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment 03: bigtommyboysg

Posted: February 25, 2008 01:13 pm

heh - ya i knew the existence of that children tv show. tongue.gif

you wouldnt believe my excitement when i heard MBV is touring again. which hopefully would translate them to work a bit more harder on that THIRD album. my neck's been stiff from craning to see when it will be dropping....

oh and speaking of the third album syndrome, me all time fav PORTISHEAD is also on tour and will be releasing their third album this coming APRIL. sweet. cool.gif

im more influenced by British music - even though the veterans of American independent music are a mainstay on me ipod as well.

mellow stuff eh? hows about Kings of Convenience? their concert here in singapore blew my mind. biggrin.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment 04: metalmickey

Posted: February 26, 2008 10:52 am

I've heard some stuff by Kings of Convenience (KoC), and they're pretty good. But I'm not really a fan of theirs ... well at least not yet. They sound a lot like Simon & Garfunkel at times, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I'm a Simon & Garfunkel fan, myself! biggrin.gif

I don't know if anyone else knows this, but the best place to hear indie music on local free-to-air radio right now is actually 938LIVE! In between their news reports and special feature programmes, they always play some really good indie tunes. I've heard stuff on 938LIVe by the likes of KoC, Belle & Sebastian, Death Cab for Cutie (DCfC), The Postal Service (side project of Ben Gibbard of DCfC), The Raveonettes, The Innocence Mission, The Decemberists, The Trashcan Sinatras, The Wedding Present, Cinerama (these last two are bands led by brilliant Brit singer-songwriter David Gedge), The Primitives, BMX Bandits, Yo La Tengo, and classic stuff by Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, The Cure, The Smiths, Morrissey, Wire, and The Cocteau Twins. They also occasionally play stuff by local indie bands like The Oddfellows, Serenaide, The Observatory and even some regional bands like Mocca from Indonesia. The type of music played on 938Live is mainly of the laidback, mellow mid-tempo variety and more often falls under the category of "twee pop." I believe station director Eugene Low is responsible for the programming of the playlist. If so, I must say he really does have excellent taste in music. I only wish they would revamp/renew their playlist more often, as I've been hearing the same set of songs being played over and over again throughout the past five months or so.

Even so, the music programming on 938LIVE makes for a welcome breath of fresh air amidst the predictable Top-40 saturated airwaves in Singapore.

Comment: jayy

Posted: February 27, 2008 01:02 am

I am into Arctic Monkeys, Franz and Kaisers too. Klaxons, KT Tunstall, 30 Seconds To Mars, Mew? Not sure if they're indie per se.

These days though, I'm really into Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails. I love bands that have heavy synth/keyboard influences (Depeche Mode- my fav!).

Comment: TopChinese

Posted: February 27, 2008 11:27 am

Is Mika and Scissors Sisters considered alternative?

I'm still doing step machines to Filthy/Gorgeous

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: gruffman

Posted: February 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Mosaic's kicking off at Esplanade on 7 Mar. Last year they had Yo La Tengo, Rickie Lee Jones, Album Leaf... this year, they're bringing in Broken Social Scene, the bird and the bee, Soil and Pimp, George Clinton among many other happening acts... in fact, Harry Connick Jr is opening the festival... cool tongue.gif

Comment: jayy

Posted: February 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Mika is just plain annoying, makes me want to bash up the radio or tv whever he's on bw2/swear.gif

This year's Mosaic does have a pretty interesting lineup... I'm going for the Mum concert. Just discovered them last year, interesting mix of electronica wink.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: bigtommyboysg

Posted: February 27, 2008 11:54 pm

me attending Broken Social Scene, Mum and Sondre Lerche... bw2/thumb.gif

still deciding on The Roots though - cannot bugger my friends to join me. bah...

Mika is almost like a one-man Scissors Sisters - and i agree with jayy, he kinda borders on annoying.

metalmickey: any local bands that you have caught on recently. i highly recommend B-Quartet and I Am David Sparkle. quite top-notched in my books. but i still yearned for those good old days when BigO is still a printed magazine. it introduced me to alot of local groups that are doing their own stuff.

Comment: Starfury

Posted: February 28, 2008 12:36 am

Hmm..I wonder where will the likes of Delerium & Frou Frou be...

Can't say i identify with Artic Monkeys - but i guess some tracks from this genre grows on you the more you listen to them.

Comment: maturemedium

Posted: February 28, 2008 01:58 am

Sevendust

The Berzerker

HorrorPops

Kill The Romance

My Chemical Romance

Hunab Ku

Albums.jpg

List goes on...

Comment: sutgua

Posted: February 28, 2008 03:02 am

black kids is a group i like. maybe you'll enjoy their songs too. they are free for download

http://www.myspace.com/blackkidsrock

Comment: metalmickey

Posted: February 28, 2008 12:25 pm

(gruffman @ February 27, 2008 10:24 pm)

Mosaic's kicking off at Esplanade on 7 Mar. Last year they had Yo La Tengo, Rickie Lee Jones, Album Leaf... this year, they're bringing in Broken Social Scene ...

I'm going for the Broken Social Scene gig at Mosaic. Haven't really heard much of their stuff, but from the little I heard at their MySpace page, they really ROCK! I expect theirs will be a good gig. Will be looking out for you there, Big Tommy Boy, hehe! biggrin.gif

As for Mika, he's not really indie, but Scissor Sisters is a special case of a used-to-be indie band that has gained crossover success in Top 40 radio-land. Hope that answers your question, TC. biggrin.gif

Posted: February 28, 2008 12:41 pm

(maturemedium @ February 28, 2008 01:58 am)

Sevendust

The Berzerker

HorrorPops

Kill The Romance

My Chemical Romance

Hunab Ku

List goes on...

Wow, maturemedium, I see you mainly dig the horrorpunk/metal goth type groups. Not really my cup of tea, but I really dig The Misfits, the ORIGINAL horrorpunk band led by Glen Danzig.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Comment: SunDevil

Posted: March 02, 2008 05:46 pm

If you guys dig Sonic Youth, you should check out Silversun Pickups.

Other indie bands that I am currently into are Rilo Kiley, Trustcompany, Story of the Year, and Taking Back Sunday.

These are really music that I listen to when I grow tired of the crap churning out from the radio. smile.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: Panda_9791

Posted: March 03, 2008 12:49 am

oooh... Sonic Youth... i recently rediscovered them from the Juno soundtrack... biggrin.gif And also Cat Power...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment: bigtommyboysg

Posted: March 03, 2008 01:11 pm

(Panda_9791 @ March 03, 2008 12:49 am)

oooh... Sonic Youth... i recently rediscovered them from the Juno soundtrack... biggrin.gif And also Cat Power...

the Sonic Youth track on the Juno soundtrack is a cover of the Carpenters' Superstar, originally found on this tribute album called "If I Were a Carpenter". you should grabbed a copy of it if you can come across it - it features a bunch of alternative groups covering the hits of Richard and Karen Carpenter - pretty top notched. oh btw, Superstar is as melodic as Sonic Youth can get tongue.gif but im a huge fan of theirs..

yeah Panda: Cat Power a good choice too.... i hope more people will discovered her via the ost for My Blueberry Nights - "The Greatest" is the tour-de-force , IMHO...

biggrin.gif

Comment: Panda_9791

Posted: March 03, 2008 02:17 pm

hey Bro bigtommyboysg, thanks for your recommendation! I hope i can find those 2 albums at HMV later when i go orchard... Yup, i saw a clip of Cat Power performing The Greatest live, Awesome!

Posted: March 03, 2008 02:24 pm

For those going to the Broken Social Scene gig on 10th March, do you want to meet up and say "hi" before the show? Please PM me if you're keen to meet up. Cheers! cool.gif

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Hey Fellow Music Connosseurs,

Chance upon this thread by chance and its heartening to see guys on here digging non mainstream gems. As you can see from my nick, I grew up in the good old Smiths, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Echo & The Bunnymen, Cure, Joy Division, Japan era. Music that I still turned to to brighten up my day. Any fans of HK indie here? Especially My Little Airport, I can never get enough of them!!! Hope that Esplanade's really bringing them in for Baybeats. :) Any guys on here going for Mum's gig at Mosaic next week?

Welcome to the Indie Pop thread, blissgun1971! I'm always happy to meet a fellow indie fan! I happen to be a fan of ALL the bands you've mentioned! The one I revere the most is Joy Division. Ian Curtis is truly one of the last great poets of the late 20th Century. I'll be going for the Broken Social Scene gig this coming Sunday night. Anybody else going, look out for a bespectacled, salt 'n' pepper haired guy wearing either A Clockwork Orange tee or ... well I haven't decided yet! Hahaha! Hope to see meet some of guys there! Cheers! :B)

"I look upon those who would deny others the right to urge and argue their position, however irksome and pernicious they may seem, as intellectual and moral cowards."

-- William E. Borah

• 3 years later...

I love mainstream music just like the next person, but I'm wondering who else here appreciate cutting-edge musicians that push music to a different level? Who's your favorite?

Let's kick-off the discussion with some of my personal favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iof1fd_orUc

Radiohead - 2 + 2 = 5

Widely revered among critics as the best band alive right now. I'm not sure if I want to agree, but their 1997's OK Computer certainly belongs to my all-time Top 10 Album list; with their terrific electronica (Kid A) and art-grunge (The Bends) works bubbling under.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_VeGtPpCI

Bjork - Venus As A Boy

This is my quirky Icelandic infatuation. She's fearless, unpredictable, and lovely in her own bizarre way. If Lady Gaga were actually nuts instead of trying to be one, she'd be making music like this. Probably in terms of fashion too, Gaga's habit to show up at award shows in wacko clothes had a direct precedent:

rexfeatures_404157b.jpg

Edited by derryfawne

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUB9EPNTgZI

Tori Amos - Pretty Good Year

Her works are very personal and honest (albeit with loads of beautiful imageries and metaphors to unravel), covering themes like first-hand experience in miscarriages and almost getting raped at knifepoint. I have chosen to use 'Pretty Good Year' here to demonstrate both the silky beauty of her early piano works and her creative mid-period knack at pulling unexpected twists in her songs.

Nice seeing a response from you.

Extreme metal like what? The caricaturish grotesque themes of Cannibal Corpse? The lightning speed of Slayer? The avant-garde melting pot of Mr. Bungle?

I enjoy heavy music too, but more on the hard rock variety (e.g. Blue Cheer, Wolfmother). Especially if they have orgasmic guitar works (e.g. Eric Clapton and co.). I even dig cocky hair metal... Alicia Silverstone-period Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, 'I Remember You'.

Nobody knew that the actress/model Milla Jovovich released ab albumn called The Divine Comedy in 1994.

The songs are written and sung by her. That was another side of her talent very few knew about.

Many critics did say that she was inspired and influenced by Tori Amos. Not only in terms of the strange music upbeat and arrangement, but similar themes where both touched upon the true and shame of prostitution, war, human rights and agendas on

the human psychology.

Due to its albumn cover, (as you can see) the Church protested against it as a disrespect to the Bible, thus what I heard, the company had to limit its production and its out of print.

I still have a copy for myself.

The Gentlemen who Fell - made it to the Europe chart for a few weeks but bavk then, the MTV had to be removed due to its disturbing content . Its a song which mocks at the pretentious politicians.

Ruby Lane - its about prostitute who speaks her plight to a passer-by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKdV9FJrLtE&feature=related

Thanks for sharing, that's certainly a new music discovery for me. :)

I think Milla has a nice folksy vibe with a subtle hint of Celtic music. Not too sure why she didn't hit it big in the music scene. Maybe people are generally skeptical about crossover artists? Unless you are Hannah Montana.

Ha in luck.

Someone at last posted this favourite song of mine from Tori Amos- Frog on My Toe,

I have it in my collection.

Tori has the Red Indian Blood from her father's side. She was very closed with her Red indian Grandad- her Papa,

who taught her the natural ways of the Red Indian world....the medicine wheel, the stones, the herbal medicine, the forces of nature, the stars and this vast interconnectedness being Heaven, Earth, and men.

She dedicated this song to her late Papa, whom she used to sit on his lap and listened to him telling her stories of the wild west indians.

This tune is very personal to me. When I was very down sometime back, this tune and song, sort of like took me to a ride, to an unknown world, teaching me to see light from the darkness of things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2VCUbfaTU

what does alternative music even mean? it is just a meaningless marketing term to conveniently lump together artistes and bands of extremely different genres that only share the common trait of not being in the radar of the masses. but even then, the lines of "not being in the radar" are even blurred and undefined in this internet age where an indie band can achieve enormous success quickly with little or no marketing budget.

having said that, currently listening to these on heavy rotation nowadays:

maximum balloon - solo project of radio on the tv frontman featuring cameos from my queen, karen o.

isolee - love love love his new album, because i am a big big big fan of minimalist electronica.

kings of convenience / whitest boy alive - at their recent gig, heard some of WBA's new tracks in their upcoming album. it's GOOD.

crystal castles - punky dance music has never been so beautifully sad.

the radio dept, broadcast, cocteau twins - i can never get enough of melacholic shoegazing. too bad 2 of 3 of my favourite acts are disbanded.

destroyer - relaxed contemplative pop. if you like blue nile, give them a try.

apples in stereo - so irresistibly whimsical and cheerful! should let them tour with flaming lips.

anna calvi and warpaint - sometimes their stuff comes up when i put my ipod on random, and i thought it's pj harvey with better songwriting.

empire of the sun - it's the whiny voice singer from the sleepy jacksons! i first heard their single in a melbourne shop. i ran to the salesgirl at the counter to ask who it is.

neon indian, olaf arnalds, styrofoam, cinnamon chasers, black moth super rainbow, caribou, delorean, - dont know who they are. read about them somewhere, tried them out, thought they're pretty good.

kid a is one of my perennial favorite albums, but i think thom yorke 走火入魔 liao with his avant garde shit. kings of limb is such a snorefest!

I would term alternative as anything that isn't mainstream....you know hasn't hit the big time yet. So the music of extremely famous (even legendary) or popular artistes don't apply. I've been listening to Saint Etienne, Portishead, Texas, Belle & Sebastian, Goldfrapp, Tori Amos, Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack, Peace Orchestra, Silent Poets, Mazzy Star etc etc for years and years now. Never tire of it, always amazing!!! But recently it's getting harder and harder to find any good alternative music (new or otherwise) to listen now. Sigh...

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

what does alternative music even mean? it is just a meaningless marketing term to conveniently lump together artistes and bands of extremely different genres that only share the common trait of not being in the radar of the masses. but even then, the lines of "not being in the radar" are even blurred and undefined in this internet age where an indie band can achieve enormous success quickly with little or no marketing budget.

having said that, currently listening to these on heavy rotation nowadays:

maximum balloon - solo project of radio on the tv frontman featuring cameos from my queen, karen o.

isolee - love love love his new album, because i am a big big big fan of minimalist electronica.

kings of convenience / whitest boy alive - at their recent gig, heard some of WBA's new tracks in their upcoming album. it's GOOD.

crystal castles - punky dance music has never been so beautifully sad.

the radio dept, broadcast, cocteau twins - i can never get enough of melacholic shoegazing. too bad 2 of 3 of my favourite acts are disbanded.

destroyer - relaxed contemplative pop. if you like blue nile, give them a try.

apples in stereo - so irresistibly whimsical and cheerful! should let them tour with flaming lips.

anna calvi and warpaint - sometimes their stuff comes up when i put my ipod on random, and i thought it's pj harvey with better songwriting.

empire of the sun - it's the whiny voice singer from the sleepy jacksons! i first heard their single in a melbourne shop. i ran to the salesgirl at the counter to ask who it is.

neon indian, olaf arnalds, styrofoam, cinnamon chasers, black moth super rainbow, caribou, delorean, - dont know who they are. read about them somewhere, tried them out, thought they're pretty good.

kid a is one of my perennial favorite albums, but i think thom yorke 走火入魔 liao with his avant garde shit. kings of limb is such a snorefest!

Nice list you got here!!! :)

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

what does alternative music even mean? it is just a meaningless marketing term to conveniently lump together artistes and bands of extremely different genres that only share the common trait of not being in the radar of the masses.

Haha, I agree. That's exactly the point of this thread though, to conveniently find out what you people are also listening to aside from the usual suspects of LGBT-friendly pop icons like Gaga/Britney/Mariah. :)

PS. I think alternative refers more to the genres that aren't of mass trend or mainstream popularity, instead of the artists themselves; which will make a giant like Radiohead remain as 'alternative' while someone like, uhmm... pop princess Brie Larson is not 'alternative' in whatsoever way even though she's barely under the radar.

Thanks for your list of recommendation. Anna Calvi is PJ Harvey with better songwriting? Wow, will check that out. I have Apples in Stereo in my computer, but hasn't really given them a try.

And In Rainbows is the snorefest.

I would term alternative as anything that isn't mainstream....you know hasn't hit the big time yet. So the music of extremely famous (even legendary) or popular artistes don't apply. I've been listening to Saint Etienne, Portishead, Texas, Belle & Sebastian, Goldfrapp, Tori Amos, Cocteau Twins, Massive Attack, Peace Orchestra, Silent Poets, Mazzy Star etc etc for years and years now. Never tire of it, always amazing!!! But recently it's getting harder and harder to find any good alternative music (new or otherwise) to listen now. Sigh...

I enjoy most of the stuffs you listed.

There's a lot of nice alternative music to look for, still. Math-rocker Battles' upcoming album just got leaked and I just finished listening to it. 'Ice Cream' is my favorite track.

i get my updates of worthy new acts to try out by reading Juice magazine and word of mouth from friends. do they still shrink wrap Q magazine in bookstores? :P

like you, avecinfuser, i find it increasingly harder to be interested in new music coming out, even from artistes i loved. (can't forgive bjork for medulla) for myself i attribute it more to age and general jadedness, what's your beef?

i get my updates of worthy new acts to try out by reading Juice magazine and word of mouth from friends. do they still shrink wrap Q magazine in bookstores? :P

like you, avecinfuser, i find it increasingly harder to be interested in new music coming out, even from artistes i loved. (can't forgive bjork for medulla) for myself i attribute it more to age and general jadedness, what's your beef?

I blame it on the digital age...I used to browse CD shops here, in the US and UK for hours and hours looking for alternative CDs. You'd be amazed at how I'd get lost in them...my friends almost gave up on me. Every time I walked past a CD place, must check it out....looking for that EBTG, Mojave 3, Tosca, Dimitri from Paris, Pizzicato 5 etc etc albums or rare singles, was such a joy. I don't even know how to describe it. But now with just a click of a button, I can find what I want on the web and download it FOC...bummer! Big time sux! Why I bother or anyone for that matter to go all the way down to HMV and look for CDs? The selection is shrinking and everyone is either selling out or closing down. Now I hardly buy more than 10 CDs a year.

I think people just don't invest in music anymore.

When I first started buying music, and they had more racks for cassettes than CDs, those were the days when I would actually have to sit down with a lyric sheet in my hand and absorb every single second. And even if I don't feel like doing so, at least I would still let the whole thing plays while I'm doing something and let the less immediate (but no less excellent) songs grow on you. The CD age made time investment less relevant; fast-forwarding to that smash single is just one click away.

Then comes the Internet downloads. There goes money investment, and along with it, any reason for us to somehow make the best worth out of our purchase (or lack thereof). A song that doesn't appeal fast enough goes straight to the recycling bin. (Business models like iTunes are viable, but they are so reductive it feels like 1950s all over again; each individual song supports itself, singles are more important than albums, and the unpromoted tracks are obscurities for hardcore fans to dig.)

The temptation to multi-task is also particularly high in the Internet age. Music is reduced to become a background muzak while you are browsing and chatting, which is not so prospective for the 'alternative' business; a business that begs to be taken seriously. To absorb the complexity of 'alternative' music when they get the 'background muzak' treatment is not as easy as Just anyhow Dance to Gaga.

Let's not be so pessimistic. :)

Since most of you like Bjork, I think this other Icelandic named Emiliana Torrini might appeal to you. Her quirky playfulness in Jungle Drum reminds me of Oh So Quiet. And it's been long since an artist can so effectively express the feeling of falling in love in simple words and still come across fresh.

Just downloaded Crystal Castles and The Apples in stereo....see what I mean? I dun even need to step out of my room!!! But cool stuff by the way, thanks for the intro. As for Bjork...what can I say? She sold out big time (Hollywood & the Grammys???) and so I've ditched her. 'Nuff said!!!

I think people just don't invest in music anymore.

When I first started buying music, and they had more racks for cassettes than CDs, those were the days when I would actually have to sit down with a lyric sheet in my hand and absorb every single second. And even if I don't feel like doing so, at least I would still let the whole thing plays while I'm doing something and let the less immediate (but no less excellent) songs grow on you. The CD age made time investment less relevant; fast-forwarding to that smash single is just one click away.

Then comes the Internet downloads. There goes money investment, and along with it, any reason for us to somehow make the best worth out of our purchase (or lack thereof). A song that doesn't appeal fast enough goes straight to the recycling bin. (Business models like iTunes are viable, but they are so reductive it feels like 1950s all over again; each individual song supports itself, singles are more important than albums, and the unpromoted tracks are obscurities for hardcore fans to dig.)

The temptation to multi-task is also particularly high in the Internet age. Music is reduced to become a background muzak while you are browsing and chatting, which is not so prospective for the 'alternative' business; a business that begs to be taken seriously. To absorb the complexity of 'alternative' music when they get the 'background muzak' treatment is not as easy as Just anyhow Dance to Gaga.

HOW VERY VERY TRUE! YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!

that reminds me. Scandinavian singer stina nordenstam used to be compared to bjork too, with her warbling singing style. her most famous track is "little star" in the romeo+juliet soundtrack, which got me interested to find out more about her. to my pleasant surprise, her darker materials are even more compelling.

agree wholeheartedly with you guys - overwhelming availability, in the long term, has indeed diluted my interest as well. but it is churlish for me to complain if free internet downloads has allowed me the opportunity to discover so many wonderful acts that i would otherwise not come across. i guess you win some, you lose some.

pessimistic meh? it's just the way it is :)

i share here a quote by David Bowie from a 2002 interview with the new york times.

'The a bsolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it. I see absolutely no point in pretending that it's not going to happen. I'm fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10 years, and authorship and intellectual property is in for such a bashing.''

''Music itself is going to become like running water or electricity,'' he added. ''So it's like, just take advantage of these last few years because none of this is ever going to happen again. You'd better be prepared for doing a lot of touring because that's really the only unique situation that's going to be left.

(“David Bowie, 21st-Century Entrepreneur” New York Times -JON PARELES - Published: June 9, 2002. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B03E1DA113AF93AA35755C0A9649C8B63)

i am sorry for being ageist here, derryfawne, but at age 20, aren't you a tad young to be commenting on the cassette-CD evolution?

that reminds me. Scandinavian singer stina nordenstam used to be compared to bjork too, with her warbling singing style. her most famous track is "little star" in the romeo+juliet soundtrack, which got me interested to find out more about her. to my pleasant surprise, her darker materials are even more compelling.

agree wholeheartedly with you guys - overwhelming availability, in the long term, has indeed diluted my interest as well. but it is churlish for me to complain if free internet downloads has allowed me the opportunity to discover so many wonderful acts that i would otherwise not come across. i guess you win some, you lose some.

pessimistic meh? it's just the way it is :)

i share here a quote by David Bowie from a 2002 interview with the new york times.

i am sorry for being ageist here, derryfawne, but at age 20, aren't you a tad young to be commenting on the cassette-CD evolution?

I dun think it's his real age lah!!! STINA NORDENSTAM I ♡ YOU!!!

another way i have been sourcing out new acts to try is to sniff out similar acts from the same record company.

kompakt records

type: light german minimalist techno/dance.

usual suspects: michael mayer, gui boratto, wolfgang voigt

http://youtu.be/LQWuNTlY6_M

人山人海 aka peoplemountainpeoplesea

type: Hong Kong indie electronica, considered edgy in the cantopop/mandopop standards, sincere and well-written/produced.

names to note: anthony wong, at17, pixeltoy, jason choi, square fruit.

see the "立秋" second half

kitsune

type: assorted, ranging from twee pop to harder dance stuff. but do they have a midas touch or what! (see crystal castles, digitalism, autokratz)

next big things: the drums, french horn rebellion, two door cinema club

international dj gigolo

type: electronica with 80s influence

big shots: dj hell, miss kitten, the hacker, fischerspooner, tiga, vitalic

I think cassette goes out of the Singapore market earlier. But from where I come from, I was right on the brink of cassette's decline and CD's emergence. My early musical experience clearly forced me to compare and make a choice between the two medium.

And besides, at that age, I had one more good reason than those of higher-employability age to 'know where to look for' the cheaper medium (even if they're almost gone), no?

As for Bjork...what can I say? She sold out big time (Hollywood & the Grammys???) and so I've ditched her. 'Nuff said!!!

Really? I think it's the other way around... she doesn't make pop music like Debut or Post anymore. In fact, she's not even making music anymore. She's Art or some sh!t like that.

Edited by derryfawne

hahaha i'm gonna agree with derry here. check out "ancestors" in the medulla album. that is not music. that is asthmatic panting!

sometimes i will pull out debut/post/homogenic (even telegram!) for a listen and rue over how spine-tinglingly good she used to be. but that is no more.

I dun think it's his real age lah!!!

No. I'm not some ah pek scavenging for young blood by pretending to be 20. :P

check out "ancestors" in the medulla album. that is not music. that is asthmatic panting!

Eh. I agree it's not music, but I find that (and especially Oll Birtan) intriguing.

But Medulla was my first Bjork album, so take my two cents with a pinch of salt.

As a vocalist, Bloem de Ligny sounds peculiarly like Bjork too; but her music doesn't intrigue me that much.

Then there's also that Arcade Fire chick. When I heard the song below, I honestly thought Bjork was a guest vocalist and had to Google to confirm it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3OK8mdzSck

i agree but radiohead is still one of the acts i really wanna watch live

check out david lynch's ep... yes its the same director who screwed around with your mind with stuff like lost highway... surprisingly gd

Surprisingly no one mentioned of Alanis Morissette. I think she is one of the most famous alternative rock artist. My favorite artists are Alanis and Tori Amos, but I think Tori's genre is more alternative, it's not really alternative rock.

Best song from Alanis Morissette? Well, must be Not As We. Best song from Tori Amos, imo, is Winter. I think anyone will love winter as soon as he listens to it.

Winter Video

Edited by BeYourself

No. I'm not some ah pek scavenging for young blood by pretending to be 20. :P

Eh. I agree it's not music, but I find that (and especially Oll Birtan) intriguing.

But Medulla was my first Bjork album, so take my two cents with a pinch of salt.

As a vocalist, Bloem de Ligny sounds peculiarly like Bjork too; but her music doesn't intrigue me that much.

Then there's also that Arcade Fire chick. When I heard the song below, I honestly thought Bjork was a guest vocalist and had to Google to confirm it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3OK8mdzSck

Oh wow! It is very Bjork sounding!!! Creepy!!!

another way i have been sourcing out new acts to try is to sniff out similar acts from the same record company.

kompakt records

type: light german minimalist techno/dance.

usual suspects: michael mayer, gui boratto, wolfgang voigt

http://youtu.be/LQWuNTlY6_M

人山人海 aka peoplemountainpeoplesea

type: Hong Kong indie electronica, considered edgy in the cantopop/mandopop standards, sincere and well-written/produced.

names to note: anthony wong, at17, pixeltoy, jason choi, square fruit.

see the "立秋" second half

kitsune

type: assorted, ranging from twee pop to harder dance stuff. but do they have a midas touch or what! (see crystal castles, digitalism, autokratz)

next big things: the drums, french horn rebellion, two door cinema club

international dj gigolo

type: electronica with 80s influence

big shots: dj hell, miss kitten, the hacker, fischerspooner, tiga, vitalic

I totally agree....record labels are a good source of alternative music when they scour the face of the planet for new and interesting acts, so if you like music from this genre, the same record company may have more of the same to offer, for example like iK7, Matador Records or producers like Funkstorung.

I was introduced to metal and its death sibling by a metal head friend a few years ago.

I occasionally go back to some awesome hits and grunt. But I still enjoy rock a lot more. Perhaps because the lyrics are more audible?

I'm just wondering, what kind of gratifications do metalheads look for when listening to metal music (esp. the death variety)?

Shock value? Venting their aggression? Pure admiration of their technical musicianship?

Surprisingly no one mentioned of Alanis Morissette. I think she is one of the most famous alternative rock artist. My favorite artists are Alanis and Tori Amos, but I think Tori's genre is more alternative, it's not really alternative rock.

Best song from Alanis Morissette? Well, must be Not As We. Best song from Tori Amos, imo, is Winter. I think anyone will love winter as soon as he listens to it.

Winter Video

Yes. Winter is my all-time favorite Tori song.

Alanis is great too. Very catchy and really really bold words, but I find her recent works to be more lackluster.

I totally agree....record labels are a good source of alternative music when they scour the face of the planet for new and interesting acts, so if you like music from this genre, the same record company may have more of the same to offer, for example like iK7, Matador Records or producers like Funkstorung.

I don't really explore record labels. I go through webzines and other online portals.

TrouserPress (http://www.trouserpress.com/) is pretty good. Comprehensive coverage, concise content.

Guest Asperger

tori is alternative?! never saw it that way. i love her and have all the albums; even flew alone to perth 2 years back to watch her life - a real religious experience for me!! i always considered her vagina music: music by women with powerful vocals and bare instrumentation, with kick ass lyrics emoting angst ... :-) my favorite by her is her classic "silent all these years" - my fav tune to listen to when i m down (not the lame ass version by stefanie sun, NO WAY!!). another great song of hers is "1000 oceans" (amongst many others).

tori is alternative?! never saw it that way. i love her and have all the albums; even flew alone to perth 2 years back to watch her life - a real religious experience for me!! i always considered her vagina music: music by women with powerful vocals and bare instrumentation, with kick ass lyrics emoting angst ... :-) my favorite by her is her classic "silent all these years" - my fav tune to listen to when i m down (not the lame ass version by stefanie sun, NO WAY!!). another great song of hers is "1000 oceans" (amongst many others).

I agree! People like Miss Amos, Miss Bjork and Miss Morrisette are hardly alternative....the discussion forum should steer away from them otherwise.

Hmm… I don't know if their / her music is considered alternative but I simply love Cocteau Twins or their lead singer, Elizabeth Fraser!

I ♡ ♡ ♡ Elizabeth Fraser too!!! I have her solo album. Also ♡ ♡ ♡ Sarah Cracknell from Saint Etienne!!! I also have her solo albums.

Guest jayy

Wow I see some elitists/pretentious folk here. So you'll stop listening to someone who started out independently, and then made it big just because he/she/they are no longer obscure enough?

Anyway, thought I'd throw a couple of my favourite songs out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Pg-2LP76g

Skin of the Night, by M83

Last Day of Magic, The Kills

Wow I see some elitists/pretentious folk here. So you'll stop listening to someone who started out independently, and then made it big just because he/she/they are no longer obscure enough?

I would like to think that there are high-brow and low-brow music. We are discussing alternative music here. There are no pretension or elitism here, just personal opinions. I still listen to Bjork, Tori and Alanis but it is a well-known fact that once artistes hit the big time, they sell out and they are pressured to produce for the masses. There is no denying that the quality of their works diminishes once they feed into the popular phenom. There are a lot of unknown alternative music out there still under the radar and 'undiscovered', sticking to their principles and guns, playing to their own crowds and still producing great stuff. Why can't these once obscure/underground/alternative artistes maintain and do the same??

Some years ago I did chanced upon Tori Amos's concert when I was in London .

She did a two nights concert in the London Albert Hall, and I snapped up up two nights of front row seat. She was just about 15 ft from I was sitting down.

Unfortunately they didnt allow any cameras to snap her. The flashes sort of may affect and distract her performance. There was once she literally stopped in the mid of a song and told this guy in the crowd to stop flashing at her.

Even you dont even know who she is, there is this very strong presence about her I cannot describe. Its something out of this world, like a spaceship has just landed on planet earth.

The moment she walked out onto the stage in her blood red leather jeans, there is this underlying current that oozes out from her, like concentric ripples out from her being.

Two nights with Tori was indeed a very religious experience. Even in between the notes, there is a space that echoes deeply into your subconscious, inviting and bringing you to a level of a trance, in which she and you are just old friends, having a converstaion with each other's soul.

Its into another world which we talk about the TRUTH, and nothing else.

I hung around hoping perhaps, to have a chat with her. Infact, it is one of my biggest dream is to sit down with her and have hours of chat, like Alice and the Mad hatter, talking about stuff beyond the levels of the very ordinary mind.

What she went through , I could understand because I went through it, esp her views on religion, Christianity, religious persecution, and I was too, sexually raped/abused three times in my life.

I am a pianist myself but playing her music scores are not easy, because it is naturally created by her, where both hands, the bass and the treble are speaking and arguing at the same time. Its almost like drawing the circle and the square simulanteously and its very hard to control, and predict whats coming next in her phrase.

This is her version of Alice Cooper's - Only Women Bleed - extracted from his most famous album - Welcome to My Nightmares- which is an alternative rock to rock fans out there. At four, that albumn hits me real deep bedsides growing up with Suzi Quatro.

Only Women Bleed is a tribute against the domestic violence women faced everyday.

A friend who used in a CD shop passed me this albumn because he knows my taste in music . I think its like 18 years ago.

This is from the group - This Mortal Coil. I have two of their cds. I think they are a Brit group

I was simply hooked on this piece by them - Mr SomeWhere - where through a tale of someone's ordinary life, we somehow , could feel a common sentiments of something missing piece in each of us, that we are seems to be perpetually search, and looking for.

A mixed feeling of both depression and surrealism.

You and Your Sister is Simple Love Song.....kind of dreamy,a kind of simplicity,a kind of innocence we seems to long for

Edited by TheVisitors

A friend who used in a CD shop passed me this albumn because I knows my taste in music . I think its like 18 years ago.

This is from the group - This Mortal Coil. I have two of their cds. I think they are a Brit group

I was simply hooked on this piece by them - Mr SomeWhere - where through a tale of someone's ordinary life, we somehow , could feel a common sentiments of something missing piece in each of us, that we are seems to be perpetually search, and looking for.

A mixed feeling of both depression and surrealism.

You and Your Song is Simple Love Song.....kind of dreamy,a kind of simplicity,a kind of innocence we seems to long for

I HAVE!! I HAVE!! :thumb: :thumb:

I'm glad that this thread is alive and kicking.

Anyway, thought I'd throw a couple of my favourite songs out here:

Skin of the Night, by M83

Last Day of Magic, The Kills

You just made me download the full catalog of two bands.

I would like to think that there are high-brow and low-brow music. We are discussing alternative music here. There are no pretension or elitism here, just personal opinions. I still listen to Bjork, Tori and Alanis but it is a well-known fact that once artistes hit the big time, they sell out and they are pressured to produce for the masses. There is no denying that the quality of their works diminishes once they feed into the popular phenom. There are a lot of unknown alternative music out there still under the radar and 'undiscovered', sticking to their principles and guns, playing to their own crowds and still producing great stuff. Why can't these once obscure/underground/alternative artistes maintain and do the same??

I don't think I will want to adopt that philosophy, because otherwise The Beatles would be the biggest corporate sellout of all-time.

Popularity may, but will not necessarily, lead to the growth of ego tumor; and eventually, selling out. Bjork herself is a counter-example, gradually becoming less and less accessible with each subsequent album. Tori and Alanis, on the other hand, are obviously out of ideas; much like how an anti-mainstream artist a la Ani DiFranco can sh!t on the evil music industry all she wants, but could no more write a single decent tune nowadays.

Some years ago I did chanced upon Tori Amos's concert when I was in London .

She did a two nights concert in the London Albert Hall, and I snapped up up two nights of front row seat. She was just about 15 ft from I was sitting down.

Unfortunately they didnt allow any cameras to snap her. The flashes sort of may affect and distract her performance. There was once she literally stopped in the mid of a song and told this guy in the crowd to stop flashing at her.

Even you dont even know who she is, there is this very strong presence about her I cannot describe. Its something out of this world, like a spaceship has just landed on planet earth.

The moment she walked out onto the stage in her blood red leather jeans, there is this underlying current that oozes out from her, like concentric ripples out from her being.

Two nights with Tori was indeed a very religious experience. Even in between the notes, there is a space that echoes deeply into your subconscious, inviting and bringing you to a level of a trance, in which she and you are just old friends, having a converstaion with each other's soul.

Its into another world which we talk about the TRUTH, and nothing else.

I hung around hoping perhaps, to have a chat with her. Infact, it is one of my biggest dream is to sit down with her and have hours of chat, like Alice and the Mad hatter, talking about stuff beyond the levels of the very ordinary mind.

What she went through , I could understand because I went through it, esp her views on religion, Christianity, religious persecution, and I was too, sexually raped/abused three times in my life.

I am a pianist myself but playing her music scores are not easy, because it is naturally created by her, where both hands, the bass and the treble are speaking and arguing at the same time. Its almost like drawing the circle and the square simulanteously and its very hard to control, and predict whats coming next in her phrase.

This is her version of Alice Cooper's - Only Women Bleed - extracted from his most famous album - Welcome to My Nightmares- which is an alternative rock to rock fans out there. At four, that albumn hits me real deep bedsides growing up with Suzi Quatro.

Only Women Bleed is a tribute against the domestic violence women faced everyday.

Father Lucifer, you never looked so sane.

And btw, while we're still at Tori, I feel obligated to lead this to an inevitable discussion about:

Buy a copy of The Dreaming now if you haven't had one.

You just made me download the full catalog of two bands.

I don't think I will want to adopt that philosophy, because otherwise The Beatles would be the biggest corporate sellout of all-time.

Popularity may, but will not necessarily, lead to the growth of ego tumor; and eventually, selling out. Bjork herself is a counter-example, gradually becoming less and less accessible with each subsequent album. Tori and Alanis, on the other hand, are obviously out of ideas; much like how an anti-mainstream artist a la Ani DiFranco can sh!t on the evil music industry all she wants, but could no more write a single decent tune nowadays.

Father Lucifer, you never looked so sane.

And btw, while we're still at Tori, I feel obligated to lead this to an inevitable discussion about:

derryfawne I was just wondering when Kate Bush was going to pop up...hehe

Well here's my recommendation...and it's not Kate Bush related :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYg96ElUeQ&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Avecinfuser

Speaking of Kate Bush,
"Deeper Understanding" will be re-released on 5th April 2011 and will be available from all digital retailers.
It is the first release from Kate's new label: "Fish People" and is the first single from the forth coming album Director's Cut.

Director's Cut will be available for pre-order on iTunes from 5th April 2011 and will be released worldwide on 16th May 2011

Edited by steppenwolf

Tori had being compared to Kate Bush endlessly by the media, as thought Tori stole the idea of being Kate, then modified it be her success... but I still can't see any smiliarity here between the two big artists, except the former admited being a pageant while the latter said she is sort form of white witch.

This was Tori in her own band...Y Kant Tori Read...before she went solo.Because the media's preview serverely critized her first albumn as " an equate work of a bimboo" the albumn flopped that the recording company didnt want to sign her up anymore.

That made her depressed for awhile, before she revamped herself, and through relentless persuasion, did the recording company did gave her a second chance..thats where Little Earthquake came in

Listen to this for yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzTNhdO0elM

Edited by TheVisitors

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.