Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

Cool vid. Reminds me of Tori Amos Fairytale vid.

Is that Adrien Brody??? Thanks for the vid, I've never seen it. In fact, I never knew she had a vid for this song which I love so much!!! From her Scarlet's Walk album way back in 2002 which I love love love so much too!!!!

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

I like Antony too. His 'yawning operatic' voice is just surreal. I first heard about him from this song:

It's hard enough to match Bjork's individualistic and chameleon voice that any good singer will pale in comparison, but guess what, Antony exceeded my expectation in every respect. Bjork definitely picked the right vocalist for her first duet.

Ok who is this Antony fella who sounded so hot with Bjork? I've never heard of this duet before, thanks for the introduction. Indeed a very beautiful pairing!

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Ok Drawing Restraint 9 isn't exactly one of her finer moments, in fact it was her more arty-farty collaboration with artist Matthew Barney. So yeah I do think sometimes her stuff needs a period for sinking in. By the way so glad you brought up that movie, have you seen it? It was jaw-droppingly amazing, I became enamored with Barney after seeing his video with her music. If you haven't really check it out, you should. This is just the trailer....the whole movie was pure cinematic orgasm.

Oh I haven't. Should watch it sometimes. :)

But I did watch Dancer in the Dark, which I definitely love love love.

Ok who is this Antony fella who sounded so hot with Bjork? I've never heard of this duet before, thanks for the introduction. Indeed a very beautiful pairing!

He is some sort of sexually ambiguous indie queen with theatrical voice-and-piano works. Wikipedia calls him 'chamber pop' and 'dark cabaret'; pretty apt, I think. He's someone who I theoretically love, a one-of-its-kind voice with stripped-down and confessional arrangement, but somehow his materials never quite fulfills his full potential. Still a good artist whose career is worth to be followed, though.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Talking about dark cabaret, I love love love The Dresden Dolls. Creativity, playfulness, and wit rolled into one. In the song below, for example, lead vocalist Amanda Palmer laments about wanting a Coin-Operated Boy who will do what a girl wants straight and to the point.

She also went solo and released music that are very Regina Spektor-lite. Melodic sunshine pop that are not grossly commercialized, wonder why this kind of style is close to extinction nowadays (either you have to be 'depressing and deep' or 'cheerful and braindead party-jamming', whatever happens to the combination of 'cheerful and creative').

Edited by derryfawne

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Is that Adrien Brody??? Thanks for the vid, I've never seen it. In fact, I never knew she had a vid for this song which I love so much!!! From her Scarlet's Walk album way back in 2002 which I love love love so much too!!!!

Yes it's him...and he looked so vulnerable in the video...

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Talking about dark cabaret, I love love love The Dresden Dolls. Creativity, playfulness, and wit rolled into one. In the song below, for example, lead vocalist Amanda Palmer laments about wanting a Coin-Operated Boy who will do what a girl wants straight and to the point.

She also went solo and released music that are very Regina Spektor-lite. Melodic sunshine pop that are not grossly commercialized, wonder why this kind of style is close to extinction nowadays (either you have to be 'depressing and deep' or 'cheerful and braindead party-jamming', whatever happens to the combination of 'cheerful and creative').

:lol: :lol: :lol:

very enjoyable song and video. tks for sharing.

Anybody here likes Strawberry Switchblade? Fun, poppy songs with not to fun and poppy lyrics.

I mean, was told that their Since Yesterday is about suicide. Nice!

From Tori's Scarlet's Walk album, I really like Dont make me come to vegas.

YES! Heard their song Since Yesterday before..very 80s. and the big hair.

Didn't know it's about suicide. Interesting.

Guest Black_Hat

The lyrics are brutally resonating, because it is so hard to change your life.

Quirky but still sweet nonetheless. *Strum strum strum*

Listen to the lyrics again. It's bizarre. Heheh! You listen to Voice of the Beehive also? I like gloomy music. At the same time, I like jangly/appy songs. Ha!

ya, listening to it again...

'Looking for a reason to go on...'

Voice of the Beehive - only heard their I think I love you. they seem a happy bunch. They remind me a little of Transvision Vamp and B-52s

ya, listening to it again...

'Looking for a reason to go on...'

Voice of the Beehive - only heard their I think I love you. they seem a happy bunch. They remind me a little of Transvision Vamp and B-52s

I like you already. Listen to Monsters and Angels, Adonis Blue and Dont call me baby. So syrupy sweet, you will die of diabetes. But the tunes are soooo catchy.

And Transvision Vamp! Love the 1st two albums: Pop Art (Tell that girl to shut up! Revolution baby! Andy warhol's dead!)and Velveteen (landslide of love! baby i dont care! born to be sold! ). The third ablbum Little Magnets vs The Bubble of Babble is so-so tho. Then Wendy James made a debut album called Now aint the time for yr tears. Wasnt a big hit though the single, London's Brilliant was quite good.

And the b-52s are noiiiceee...Roam and the deadbeat club are my two favourite songs from Cosmic Thing.

And have you listened to this German band: Bell,Book and Candle? LIsten to Rescue Me- he has a Dolores R from the Cranberries kind of voice.

And if you like jangly happy songs, try Lucy's Eyes by Papermoon and this other German group called Somersault. Dunno if the latter has any songs on YouTube tho.

Edited by PaterTenebrarum

my current songs off the top of my mind, part 1:

Sunday - Hurts

My Alcoholic Friends - The Dresden Dolls

getting some great recommendations off this thread. sweet.

"Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?"

The lyrics are brutally resonating, because it is so hard to change your life.

Quirky but still sweet nonetheless. *Strum strum strum*

You like the Moldy Peaches, eh?

Btw, has anyone noticed that they dont make movie soundtracks like they used to?

I remember i the 90s when movie soundtracks were excellent. Among others:

1. That Dumb and Dumber soundtrack is a classic. Hate the movie but the soundtrack was excellent. It introduced me to the Primitives' Crash.

2. The Pillow Book one (The movie director, Peter Greenaway was at his best here, imo movie was excellent) the soundtrack was niicee. Has Guesch Patti's Blonde and La Marquise. Btw, go watch her videos and another one for "Etienne" and see who copies her down to a T. *coughladygagacough*

3. and that one for Atom Egoyan's Exotica. My friends say, the main song sounds like something they play in a leather club. But the soundtrack also has Leonard Cohens's Everybody Knows. Excellent soundtrack.

4. And my one of my favourite soundtracks is the one from Dario Argento's Suspiria. Especially the Suspiria theme by Goblins. Halloween music on acid.

Edited by PaterTenebrarum

on the way to hipsterdom but the detailed murmurs and synths behind are just sex

Crystal Castles feat Robert Smith (the Cure) - more of their subtler outings honestly. more tuned compared to the previous "noise" element in the previous album.

oh well the devil makes us sin but we like it when we're spinning, in his grin.

And the b-52s are noiiiceee...Roam and the deadbeat club are my two favourite songs from Cosmic Thing.

And have you listened to this German band: Bell,Book and Candle? LIsten to Rescue Me- he has a Dolores R from the Cranberries kind of voice.

And if you like jangly happy songs, try Lucy's Eyes by Papermoon and this other German group called Somersault. Dunno if the latter has any songs on YouTube tho.

B-52s...Roam and Deadbeat Club are nice. It's very B-52s. I also like Love shack and my favourite go-crazy Lobster song. :lol:

Hmm...the others that you mentioned...I've not heard of them.

Just listened to BBC's Rescue Me and Papermoon...think you may like this song by 2 german sisters

Edited by glowingember

Listen to Monsters and Angels, Adonis Blue and Dont call me baby. So syrupy sweet, you will die of diabetes. But the tunes are soooo catchy.

And Transvision Vamp! Love the 1st two albums: Pop Art (Tell that girl to shut up! Revolution baby! Andy warhol's dead!)and Velveteen (landslide of love! baby i dont care! born to be sold! ). The third ablbum Little Magnets vs The Bubble of Babble is so-so tho. Then Wendy James made a debut album called Now aint the time for yr tears. Wasnt a big hit though the single, London's Brilliant was quite good.

Voice of the Beehive- you're right...highly sweet.

Transvision Vamp - Wendy James is so naughtily sexy. I always find Baby I don't care's first few lines sound awfully similar to Bangles' Manic Monday.

Btw, has anyone noticed that they dont make movie soundtracks like they used to?

I remember i the 90s when movie soundtracks were excellent. Among others:

1. That Dumb and Dumber soundtrack is a classic. Hate the movie but the soundtrack was excellent. It introduced me to the Primitives' Crash.

2. The Pillow Book one (The movie director, Peter Greenaway was at his best here, imo movie was excellent) the soundtrack was niicee. Has Guesch Patti's Blonde and La Marquise. Btw, go watch her videos and another one for "Etienne" and see who copies her down to a T. *coughladygagacough*

3. and that one for Atom Egoyan's Exotica. My friends say, the main song sounds like something they play in a leather club. But the soundtrack also has Leonard Cohens's Everybody Knows. Excellent soundtrack.

4. And my one of my favourite soundtracks is the one from Dario Argento's Suspiria. Especially the Suspiria theme by Goblins. Halloween music on acid.

All soundtracks by Craig Armstrong, Ennio Morricone, Eric Serra....their music are so beautiful....par excellence!!!

And oh the Lost In Translation, Virgin Suicides and Brokeback Mountain soundtracks....WOW!!!

on the way to hipsterdom but the detailed murmurs and synths behind are just sex

Crystal Castles feat Robert Smith (the Cure) - more of their subtler outings honestly. more tuned compared to the previous "noise" element in the previous album.

I like the beautiful sound of The XX....thanks for the recommendation....nice stuff. I have one album of Crystal Castles which I find quite good, a lot different sounding than your run-of-the-mill music....but with the added vocals from The Cure??? Wow!!! Elevated it to a whole new level of enjoyment. I love The Cure!! I'm surprised no one brought them up yet. Nevertheless, good one from Crystal Castles....thanks thanks :)

Guest Black_Hat

I am a fan of Juno and I happened to like how the song was used in the context of the film.

Speaking of Movie Soundtracks.

1)Moulin Rouge

2)Kill Bill

3)The Piano

4)On Golden Pond

5)Terms Of Endearment

6)Dirty Dancing ??

Like all these and some more.

The Piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Su8LXNS16A&feature=related

On Golden Pond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUd3CRE7dvo

In terms of film composing, I love Dave Grusin, the late John Barry, Hans Zimmer and Joe Hisaishi.

Has anyone watched Terms Of Endearment before btw?

Haha ziddyzid i must say i like your choice of music. Loved the xx for their haunting/gloomy vibe and crystal castles for their electronic elements.

Haven't seen any James Blake or Cut Copy around here, so thought i'd share.

Edited by altonate

Haha ziddyzid i must say i like your choice of music. Loved the xx for their haunting/gloomy vibe and crystal castles for their electronic elements.

Haven't seen any James Blake or Cut Copy around here, so thought i'd share.

You're getting me all flustered, altonate. Haha. Cut Copy's Hearts on Fire was the repeated wafting track of my tertiary years. Many whom may know, the video of Cut Copy's Hearts on Fire was directed and conceptualized by the multi-talented Nagi Noda, a visual pop artist, who sadly passed away due to surgical complications.

dark desires courtesy of Salem's King Night if you like crystal castles w/o the vocals

and the lovely ladyhawke!

@glowingember: you seems to know wot kinds of vocals/songs I like, eh? And yup. I like Heather Nova and Liz Phair too. Was an avid reader of Big O magazine - was saddened when it published its final copy. It was every Singaporean dude's alternative music bible cos these were the pre-internet days.

That mag introduced me to Matthew Sweet, Velocity Girl, Lush and the REd House Painters, among others.

@avecinfuser: Yea...wotever happened to great soundtracks?

I have this album!!! Fear Of Pop featuring Ben Folds (gasp) and William Shatner (gasp gasp). Also here is The High Llamas....all for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Avecinfuser

Darthvader: " Luke! Luke ! I am your Father...Come over to the Darkside !

Luke: " No ! No ! It cannot be . Because you are one hell of a fxxking ugly dickless spermless Andriod !"

DV...........Pause

Blink

Pause

Blink

Blink

Pause

Pause

DV: " I impregnate your mother but using The Force ! "

Luke: " Hello dude, mom's name ain't Mary, and I don't even have half your fxxking ugly face which breaths out

Very Loud Bad Breath !"

This is Alternative Disco version of Star Was.

It was released in the '78s as a piece for the disco dance floor. My brother had a copy but I did distinguishly remembered the original version was 20 minutes or so.

The entire 15/20 min summaries the entire story of the first movie. From the capture of Princess Leia, to the Destruction of the Death Star.

Sadly, he lost the cassette. Years later a friend did had a copy , under collector's limited edition which he bought it from States, but could not burn a copy for me, due to the imputed patent copy rights to duplicate in the CD.

But so glad that someone managed to post it here.

Edited by TheVisitors

You're getting me all flustered, altonate. Haha. Cut Copy's Hearts on Fire was the repeated wafting track of my tertiary years. Many whom may know, the video of Cut Copy's Hearts on Fire was directed and conceptualized by the multi-talented Nagi Noda, a visual pop artist, who sadly passed away due to surgical complications.

dark desires courtesy of Salem's King Night if you like crystal castles w/o the vocals

and the lovely ladyhawke!

I have no idea about the video, haha more interested in their music lol.

I caught ladyhawke at laneway festival this year! Best indie mix for a festival in Sg.

Yes she's pretty good, but no where near my favs though. Haha.

2 of my preferred acts at laneway. Warpaint and Foals!

And you'll need good ear/headphones for this one.

As a visual artist, i can't help but to look at it as whole package. Haha.

that particular track in Foals latest album is just the exemplary of restrained lushness in the sound. Kudos to the recommendation of a headphones. It just brings out the distilled chaos vs calm build up in the later parts.

new track from Metronomy after adding new setup to the band.

and Chester French - they just have this ability to make my head bob while listening to this.

enjoy. :)

@PaterTenebrarum: Haha suddenly got a lot of videos to watch :) OMG! Siouxsie and the Banshees is DA BOMB!

@ziddyzid: nice, nice....Chester French looks so adorable and Metronomy has that smart English band sound...and I personally love all the British exports!!! I think they are way better than American bands.

Edited by Avecinfuser

Whatever happened to Tricky? You know the wunderkind of the UK trip-hop movement? I was looking at my CD collection (again) and realised that I have 6 of his albums....boy I must be really into him back then. But seriously, he was real good once. Take a listen to his debut gem album Maxinquaye and the track Aftermath with vocals by Martina Topley-Bird.

And Excess from his Blowback album with vocals by Alanis Morissette.

yeah, avecinfuser, you can say that. especially with their accents inclusive!

if you fancy Foals, you might like Albatross by Wild Beast. Not comparable but along the lines.

collateral damage: PJ Harvey + Bjork = Satisfaction. Pardon the sucky sound quality. This is the best i could get

yeah, avecinfuser, you can say that. especially with their accents inclusive!

if you fancy Foals, you might like Albatross by Wild Beast. Not comparable but along the lines.

Thanks heaps!!! I just downloaded Foals' and Wild Beasts' latest album. Love love love Spanish Sahara and Albatross :) :thumb:

I ♡♡♡ Brit bands....here is an old one for your aural enjoyment. This is Blueboy that is now defunct, but back then they had a wonderful album called Unisex which I absolutely adore. This is River which I think is about River Phoenix. And Marco Polo from their last album The Bank of England in 1998. They split and formed the bands Arabesque and Beaumont. Sadly lead vocalist Keith Girdler passed away from cancer and that's the end of his most distinct and beautiful voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gdg1FbyWeQ&feature=related

Guest Iloveindie21

I am a very big fan of indie and rock music and I came upon this blog. I am very surprised that peeps here appreciate and know the kind of albums and artists I listen to. Like the XX, got their album when it first came out. Fantastic debut record. I haven't seen any posts of LCD Soundsystem, The National or even Bon Iver here. He just released a superb album. Following up a more superb debut. I have more to share. Those are just the firsts..

P.S. Hearts on Fire is brilliant. Love that song..

I am a very big fan of indie and rock music and I came upon this blog. I am very surprised that peeps here appreciate and know the kind of albums and artists I listen to. Like the XX, got their album when it first came out. Fantastic debut record. I haven't seen any posts of LCD Soundsystem, The National or even Bon Iver here. He just released a superb album. Following up a more superb debut. I have more to share. Those are just the firsts..

P.S. Hearts on Fire is brilliant. Love that song..

Ah i do enjoy LCD once in awhile, and Bon Iver just creates beautiful music. His new album's awesome as usual, but i noticed that some tracks sound totally Sufjan-like now. (Eg. Perth's theatrical sound near the end)

For those who enjoy tracks with electronic elements, here's Hey Champ and the weeknd.

Guest Iloveindie21

I consider Sufjan's latest sound having a more operatic feel.. But I agree on a lot of orchetraic sound from his latest album most notably on Perth. Doesn't make it sound less good though. And the Weeknd album rocks. Their RnB album has a nostalgic feel that I got addicted to. Been on my playlist for months now.

yeah its a multi- genre exchange of alternative music.

the thread is a playlist's worth of songs already. haha

something to fade and return to the night. wind it down.

Fade and Return - William Fitzsimmons

mood instrumental.

Explosion in the Sky - Last Known Surroundings

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.