Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

21 hours ago, Guest Faye Wrong said:

She said there isn't institutionalized homophobia in singapore. I will like to know which rock she is living under! She doesn't support pink dot as she said 377A applies only to gay males and not transgender, I supposed that's the main reason; there's no need to go so far as to proclaim the rest of what she justifies as pinkdot redundancy as fact. She is just trying to act like a stupid contrarian with her vain writings full of self praises.

She might be making a comparison to other countries where there are rules against gays. Like Malaysia, Indonesia, parts of US.

I think in Singapore there is more subtle openness to a gay employee or colleague. No one will be denied a job for their orientation, as long as they can conduct themselves professionally. Some professions are still in the gray area though, like teachers. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Faye Wrong sings govt tune
10 minutes ago, tomcat said:

She might be making a comparison to other countries where there are rules against gays. Like Malaysia, Indonesia, parts of US.

I think in Singapore there is more subtle openness to a gay employee or colleague. No one will be denied a job for their orientation, as long as they can conduct themselves professionally. Some professions are still in the gray area though, like teachers. 

She named dropped Indonesia for dramatic effect, it's obvious from her train of thoughts she was cherry picking facts and nuggets in an obscenely liberal way for her own usage.

One just needs to tell her to read up on the actual meaning of institutionalized homophobia and Google up on Lawrence Wee of Robinsons. She really does sounded quite dumb from her failure to grasp those well documented concepts and simply glossed over grim social realities with her eyes stuck in a tunnel vision on the much embellished "official" narratives.

Here are my thoughts on Pink Dot, looking at its beginnings to now:

It is a much needed platform, no doubt, but it does not serve the community equally.

At best, it is for younger gays or those who have not yet found the courage to live in the open.

But for many other gays, those who are out as far back as 80s, 90s, the whole spectacle seems superfluous and unnecessary.

This is because nobody had to give them permission or freedom, they had to be brave and live their lives openly and honestly, because this is the right thing to do. To not have to hide. 

And from speaking with a few that are long-term partners, Pink Dot is not even scratching the surface of oppression and neglect - primarily laws that affect gay life partners: assets, medical decisions, housing, next of kin etc.

Is it still important to have freedom, if you still can't buy a house with your partner, or be there to uphold his/her death wishes?

The reality is that many older generation gays and gay couples have suffered, but they have come out regardless.

This new generation that is seeking so much approval and acceptance is still waiting for their power to be given.

The old generation lived their lives knowing that they already had the power, and have been fighting all these while.

I think it sums up very plainly the two factions, those that support PD and those that feel it is just an attention-seeking event, that does not really solve any of the problems our community has faced for a very long time.

"What's next for the gay community after the last confetti has been thrown?"

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Light years away
12 minutes ago, tomcat said:

It is a much needed platform, no doubt, but it does not serve the community equally.

At best, it is for younger gays or those who have not yet found the courage to live in the open.

But for many other gays, those who are out as far back as 80s, 90s, the whole spectacle seems superfluous and unnecessary.

This is because nobody had to give them permission or freedom, they had to be brave and live their lives openly and honestly, because this is the right thing to do. To not have to hide. 

And from speaking with a few that are long-term partners, Pink Dot is not even scratching the surface of oppression and neglect - primarily laws that affect gay life partners: assets, medical decisions, housing, next of kin etc.

Is it still important to have freedom, if you still can't buy a house with your partner, or be there to uphold his/her death wishes?

The reality is that many older generation gays and gay couples have suffered, but they have come out regardless.

This new generation that is seeking so much approval and acceptance is still waiting for their power to be given.

The old generation lived their lives knowing that they already had the power, and have been fighting all these while.

I think it sums up very plainly the two factions, those that support PD and those that feel it is just an attention-seeking event, that does not really solve any of the problems our community has faced for a very long time.

Gay marriage is a Pandora's box pink dot organizers are actively steering away from opening, or even touching. If they do broach the subject, backlash will be unleashed from all quarters of society. It is not their fault. Majority of singaporeans are really very backwards and narrow-minded. The self-righteous and morality - whether religious or not - culture here is strong, perhaps - i won't even be barely surprised - among the top threes in the world right now.

Guest South East Asia Problems
11 minutes ago, Guest Light years away said:

Gay marriage is a Pandora's box pink dot organizers are actively steering away from opening, or even touching. If they do broach the subject, backlash will be unleashed from all quarters of society. It is not their fault. Majority of singaporeans are really very backwards and narrow-minded. The self-righteous and morality - whether religious or not - culture here is strong, perhaps - i won't even be barely surprised - among the top threes in the world right now.

The Singaporean brand nowadays is very much infiltrated and diluted by South East Asian prudish and militant intolerance. Just look at our neighbors, then our population composition now. Our LGBT tolerance track records are now steering towards THEIRS. Smh, sigh!

On 27/06/2017 at 5:49 PM, Guest Hard knocks said:

I disagree with you there.

I come from a tough neighbourhood where bullies look for the weak to bully. Those of us who dare to stand against them may get bumped but the bullies know that they better leave us alone.

Then there are those who hope that being passive and quiet the bullies will not notice them and leave them alone. These are exactly the ones who the bullies are looking for. They get bullied yet they are still afraid to fight back. 

Then there are those who say we should help them. But we can only help them if they even try to help themselves. How can we speak out for them if they themselves run away? 

The terrorists don't appreciate that the gv are suppressing the gays. They see that the gv is cowardly and have no guts so it's good to attack this type of cowardly gv.

Singapore is not conservative. The press make it seems so for their agenda, might I suggest the Christian terrorists have majority shares to push their agenda. They parade those few conservative minorities like they are the majority. Same here in this forum where people think the there are plenty of obnoxious guests but actually it's a very small minority with too much time on their hands.

If you side them on this cowardly policy, then we all deserve the gv we get. So don't cry when you get bullied because you deserve it. Tell that to the refugees from Iraq, I don't pity them when millions of them don't know how to organise against the few terrorists and go crying to the Europeans for human rights refugee status. GROW UP AND GROW SOME BALLS. THE BLOODY WORLD DON'T OWE YOU A DAMN THING. 

Let's just agree to disagree. But for the sake of argument? Are you foreign by any chance? Cause I don't really know of any so called 'tough' neighborhood in SG. Then again it's easier to voice out when you're out there looking in.

8 hours ago, tomcat said:

It's probably off to another party venue for the youngins.

Today our chinese news paper has published an article on pint dot event, and the report is very positive towards our community.Hope the English newspaper can do the same too.

Guest Gas 2
2 hours ago, Guest Gas said:

Today our chinese news paper has published an article on pint dot event, and the report is very positive towards our community.Hope the English newspaper can do the same too.

Which paper? Online?

• 3 months later...

Meet Leon Markcus, the Singapore pop star taking a stand for LGBTI youth

'It is a cold world here for for these youths'

Meet Leon Markcus, the Singapore pop star taking a stand for LGBTI youth
Supplied
performs at Pink Dot Hong Kong
26 October 2017

Singapore singer Leon Markcus has opened up with his own struggles of self-harm and eating disorders to help young people.

The bisexual 21-year-old is making waves in Asia as he champions around issues such as, mental health, eating disorders and LGBTI youth.

Markcus’ latest single, Alive, raced up the charts in Singapore. He hopes it will be an inspiration to all young people across the continent.

Based on his life of ‘unfortunate events’, Marckus tapped into his own struggles to come up with the song.

‘Alive was inspired by my personal struggle with self harm,’ he told Gay Star News.

‘I guess my life was basically made up of a series of unfortunate events. I grew up in a really traditional household and with that came a ton of expectations to live up to.

‘My family was pretty much dysfunctional, thus, I hardly interacted with my parents. They weren’t on very good terms then as well.’

At school the singer was often bullied for ‘acting gay’ and he had no one to turn to for support. His school’s solution for all his problems was to simply ignore his bullies.

‘I became really toxic to myself and that’s when I began the path of self harm,’ he said.

Eating disorders

Markus believes he can help raise awareness of issues through his music. But he can also send a message to young people that they’re not alone.

He is especially passionate about teaching the world that eating disorders also affect men and has bravely spoke about his own challenges.

‘I am currently battling with anorexia nervosa. It’s a pretty important topic… it is a challenge that both men and women might face and equal emphasis should be placed for both,’ he said.

‘I am also very open about my struggles with my eating disorder because I don’t want to be ashamed of it.’

Musical community

Markcus has many fans across Asia and not just because of his catchy pop tunes. He often sings about taboo topics which strike a chord with young people.

As a result his music has brought together people from across the region who love his music and also have shared experiences they’ve bonded over.

‘I hope that my music would also create a community of people who would be there to support one another through their tough times,’ Markcus said.

‘I’ve seen so many of my listeners become really good friends and that’s really heartwarming. To let them know that they are not alone in whatever challenges they might have in life.

‘But on a bigger scale, I’ve seen what music positive energies music can bring to its listeners and I hope I could do the same.

‘I mean, I don’t want a kid to feel what I felt many years back. Abandoned and forgotten by the systems in place.’

LGBTI singer

The singer just wrapped a month of touring with a moving performance at Hong Kong’s massive Pink Dot festival. Pink Dot celebrates Hong Kong’s vibrant LGBTI community.

For Markcus it was the perfect way to end his tour. For him, the LGBTI community ‘has always held a special place in my heart’.

That could be because he is bisexual or because he has a lot of friends who are still in the closet.

‘I truly believe that they deserve to have the freedom to appreciate and love their partners in the light instead of hiding in the shadows. It is a cold world here for for these youths,’ he said.

‘And I though, I love my home, I also want my friends to be able feel at ease as well as to appreciate a place that accepts them for who they are without being denying their basic rights to love.

‘Everyone deserves equal opportunities for happiness. No one, should ever be made to feel like they don’t belong or they are undeserving of the life they are given.’

Alive

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/meet-leon-markcus-the-pop-star-taking-a-stand-for-lgbti-youth-in-asia/#gs.XSjSF10

Edited by gsky

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event (2007 to 2017) (compiled)
  • 1 month later...

The ambassador and campaign video launch event of Pink Dot 10 (Pink Dot's tenth edition) was held at 7:30pm on Tuesday, 22 May 2018, at 72-13, the home of TheatreWorks, along Mohamed Sultan Road.
During the event, representative ambassadors from all nine previous editions, since the inaugural Pink Dot held at Speakers' Corner, Hong Lim Park on Saturday, 16 May 2009, were present to make speeches describing their experiences during their particular year of service.
The official ambassador video, as well as three campaign videos, were unveiled to the audience who was urged to share them widely on social media.

Edited by groyn88

First Pink Dot 10 campaign video: Woke in Progress

Remember the petition to lower the rating of Love, Simon that went viral? Meet Thasha, the teenager who got the ball rolling when an innocuous coming-of-age rom-com that she and her friends were looking forward to catch was rated R21.

Edited by groyn88

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event (2009 to present) (compiled)
  • Guest unlocked this topic
  • Guest locked and locked this topic
  • 9 months later...

Pink Dot 11 on 29th June! Doors open at 4pm so come by and ‘chope’ your spot! Community groups will be doing their outreach at the community tent from 5pm onwards and the concert will start at 7pm! Due to RSAF airspace restrictions, our drone take-off and formation light-up timing will be at 8:45pm this year.

Only Singaporeans and Permanent Residents may participate at Hong Lim Park due to government regulations imposed since October 2016.

65265471_10157509356478304_4114843067754

2 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Pink Dot coming again, so fast.

Time flies.

:P

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest guest
7 minutes ago, StockBottom said:

Are they going to squeeze everybody together in the heat, then let the ambassadors take their own sweet time to talk again?

Thought it is the same for every year pink dot? Haha. And now after they have barricade the area, i even don't really feel like going to pink dot.

Say already might as well dun say hor?

http://theindependent.sg/catholic-church-in-singapore-calls-for-acceptance-of-lgbtq-community-and-expresses-support-for-pink-dot/

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Singapore has expressed support for Pink Dot and urged Singaporeans to accept the LGBTQ community, in an Instagram post published on Wednesday (26 June).

Tagging the post with the hashtags #pinkdot, #pinkdotsg, #pinkdot11, #lgbt, #lgbtq and #pride, the church wrote: “The Catechism of the Catholic Church is clear that persons who experience same-sex attractions “must be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided.” (CCC 2358)”

The church wrote that while the Catholic faith does not condone homosexual acts, its followers are “asked to see the other, no matter his/her situation in life, as a beloved child of God.”

It continued: “We are not to shun anyone with same-sex attraction or gender dysphoria, but to “accompany with mercy”: to walk with him/her in friendship and prayer, patiently witnessing to them of God’s love.

“It does not mean endorsing choices that contradict our Faith. But neither does it mean imposing our agenda upon that person or condemning them when s/he does not do as we wish.”

The church added that “understanding and appreciating God’s beautiful plan for human sexuality will help us accompany our same-sex attracted friends and relatives with compassion and mercy, always true and faithful to the teachings of the Church.”

The Instagram post has received nearly 2,000 likes and the majority of netizens have praised the church’s stance on the issue.

In April this year, Pope Francis said that homosexual tendencies “are not a sin,” as he encouraged parents who see “rare things” in their children to “please, consult, and go to a professional,” because “it could be that he [or she] is not homosexual.”

When asked about his famous soundbite “Who am I to judge?”, the pope said: “Tendencies are not sin. If you have a tendency to anger, it’s not a sin. Now, if you are angry and hurt people, the sin is there. Sin is acting, of thought, word and deed, with freedom.”

Edited by StockBottom

IMPORTANT #PinkDot11 event day (29th June) info:
Formation light-up will be at 8:45pm this year (due to RSAF airspace restrictions, our drone can’t take off until then).

• Gates open 4pm, Community tent starts at 5pm, Concert starts at 7pm, LIGHT UP AT 8.45pm, DJ KiDG spinning after till 10pm!
• Bring FOOD and DRINKS, you wouldn’t want to be a hungry torch bearer. It is highly-recommended to hydrate with water instead of alcohol.
• General public entrance at Gate 4.
• Priority queues for wheelchair users, elderly and mums-to-be at Gate 4.
• Accessibility zone is located at the community tent, and deaf-friendly zone is at the left of stage.
• Singaporeans and PRs, bring Photo ID for entry. Due to Government Regulations imposed on Hong Lim Park since Oct’2016, foreigners (EP holders, foreign students) cannot attend Pink Dot.
• No SHARPS. Knives, screwdrivers, corkscrews etc will be confiscated (corkscrews provided at the venue).
• There will be security checks.
• Bring your own torchlight. We’ll be giving out pink cellophane paper so get ready to turn the park pink!

65386740_10157514852768304_4346569910722232320_n.jpg

65391608_10157514852738304_1163261754336083968_n.jpg

65386793_10157514852708304_8523847298856255488_n.jpg

65394024_10157514852793304_517835818807590912_n.jpg

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot 11 - 29th June 2019 (Sat)
Guest Finally

To show that lhl should act by what he preached about inclusivity. Pinkdot has invited him to attend the event. If lhl fail to turn up, he will lost his integrity and his words about embracing our community in all his future statements and his action will become a living proof of discrimination.

6 hours ago, G_M said:

• Singaporeans and PRs, bring Photo ID for entry. Due to Government Regulations imposed on Hong Lim Park since Oct’2016, foreigners (EP holders, foreign students) cannot attend Pink Dot.

How can your government impose this absurd dictate that foreigners cannot attend a public gathering, and not deserve being called a totalitarian government?

We just had a "Pride Parade" in my city, where city officials from the Mayor down attended it with pride and drew the enthusiasm of the crowd...  imagine if foreigners would have been excluded!!  Nobody needed to check the ID of the thousands who participated.   I don't know any free country where places open to the public exclude foreigners.

Edited by Steve5380

7 hours ago, StockBottom said:

Say already might as well dun say hor?

http://theindependent.sg/catholic-church-in-singapore-calls-for-acceptance-of-lgbtq-community-and-expresses-support-for-pink-dot/

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Singapore has expressed support for Pink Dot and urged Singaporeans to accept the LGBTQ community, in an Instagram post published on Wednesday (26 June).

The Catholic Church thinks that it can get away with a political compromise to save face.  It calls for "acceptance of LGBTQs but not their personal intimate acts that should be nobody's business but their own".  This is like "we accept all Hispanics but it is sinful for them to speak Spanish".

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

How can your government impose this absurd dictate that foreigners cannot attend a public gathering, and not deserve being called a totalitarian government?

We just had a "Pride Parade" in my city, where city officials from the Mayor down attended it with pride and drew the enthusiasm of the crowd...  imagine if foreigners would have been excluded!!  Nobody needed to check the ID of the thousands who participated.   I don't know any free country where places open to the public exclude foreigners.

We are happy with what we have now. Compared to other countries, where haters come in with machine gun at clubs and start shooting.....

Count the blessings....

2 hours ago, kidster said:

I'm bringing my overseas friend to watch pinkdot. As you know, foreigners are not allowed to enter.

Is there a place where we can watch the lighting from a high ground? Or any other creative ideas/hacks? 

Just stand outside the barriers, along the walkways which are not barricade. Can still see the stage when you stand near the exit of Clarke Quay MRT linking to Hong Lim Park. 

28 minutes ago, benedict5856 said:

We are happy with what we have now. Compared to other countries, where haters come in with machine gun at clubs and start shooting.....

Count the blessings....

Good for you that to be happy and count your blessings you only need to think of cases where people have it worse.

If so,  you have no right to ever be unhappy.   Not even when people climb up your stall to peep at you pissing.

7 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Good for you that to be happy and count your blessings you only need to think of cases where people have it worse.

If so,  you have no right to ever be unhappy.   Not even when people climb up your stall to peep at you pissing.

keep the peeping topic to the thread i created, instead of others ppl chat. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, benedict5856 said:

keep the peeping topic to the thread i created, instead of others ppl chat. Thanks.

Please stay totally happy,  and please post in other threads any references to people in clubs being killed by haters with machine guns , even if you need such references to feel happy.

Edited by Steve5380

Just now, Steve5380 said:

Please stay totally happy,  because instead of having restrictions to your Pink Dot,  in other countries they want to stone the gays.  Thanks.

Singapore is not other countries where they stone gays.

U rarely see robbery, raped, kidnapped or even shooting.

Even shoplifting is rare in singapore.

Restrictions or not, honestly speaking, its our singaporean issues. We deal with ours, u deal with your own country issues.

Why our government wanna place restrictions, that's our country issues.

Perhaps they do not want it to be internationally filled with gays. 

Every year the numbers is growing. If this is not controlled, the numbers will be too many to handle.

our Hong Lim Park is only a small park.

19 minutes ago, benedict5856 said:

Singapore is not other countries where they stone gays.

U rarely see robbery, raped, kidnapped or even shooting.

Even shoplifting is rare in singapore.

Restrictions or not, honestly speaking, its our singaporean issues. We deal with ours, u deal with your own country issues.

Why our government wanna place restrictions, that's our country issues.

Perhaps they do not want it to be internationally filled with gays. 

Every year the numbers is growing. If this is not controlled, the numbers will be too many to handle.

our Hong Lim Park is only a small park.

1 hour ago, benedict5856 said:

Count the blessings....

After I criticized the exclusion of foreigners from an event in a public park, you came up with haters in other countries shooting with machine guns.  So you immediately veered OFF TOPIC severely bashing other countries.  You should have stayed with YOUR country's issues.  Maybe, why not?,  explaining WHY foreigners should be excluded from Pink Dot. 

But let's not fight over this.  God bless you,  and if you want to do something good,  explain to this foreigner why he should be excluded from Pink Dot.  And please don't come up with this "internationally filled with gays".  All the other countries in your part of the world,  who feel so blessed and profit so well with the Pink Dollar,  will laugh in your face  :lol:

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

After I criticized the exclusion of foreigners from an event in a public park, you came up with haters in other countries shooting with machine guns.  So you immediately veered OFF TOPIC severely bashing other countries.  You should have stayed with YOUR country's issues.  Maybe, why not?,  explaining WHY foreigners should be excluded from Pink Dot. 

But let's not fight over this.  God bless you,  and if you want to do something good,  explain to this foreigner why he should be excluded from Pink Dot.  And please don't come up with this "internationally filled with gays".  All the other countries in your part of the world,  who feel so blessed and profit so well with the Pink Dollar,  will laugh in your face  :lol:

This is an event held in Singapore. Any public event needs a permit/approval, else its considered illegal gatherings. 

Even if u hold a white piece of paper, with some words written on it, standing in front of the Supreme court, u will be arrested immediately and faces charges.

Thats singapore.

Singapore has all the laws and rules. 

Here, we do not have the freedom of speech. 

Said wrong things, go to jail.

Share wrong things in facebook, expect to face charges.

Be obedient, u can live happily here.

We can't question. And even if we did, it will not be answered. Not only that, if we said things without evidence, expect to be charged. Even if there is evidence, we will still be charged.

Thats our country. 

Foreigners not happy, don't come.

I don''t see the need to explain. Foreigners living in Asia, will roughly know how our government system work.

Foreigners not happy, can stand outside Hong Lim park and make noise. See what police will do after that. 

Confirmed be arrested for public nuisance.

Edited by benedict5856

Guest Tony Chen
5 hours ago, benedict5856 said:

This is an event held in Singapore. Any public event needs a permit/approval, else its considered illegal gatherings. 

Even if u hold a white piece of paper, with some words written on it, standing in front of the Supreme court, u will be arrested immediately and faces charges.

Thats singapore.

Singapore has all the laws and rules. 

Here, we do not have the freedom of speech. 

Said wrong things, go to jail.

Share wrong things in facebook, expect to face charges.

Be obedient, u can live happily here.

We can't question. And even if we did, it will not be answered. Not only that, if we said things without evidence, expect to be charged. Even if there is evidence, we will still be charged.

Thats our country. 

Foreigners not happy, don't come.

I don''t see the need to explain. Foreigners living in Asia, will roughly know how our government system work.

Foreigners not happy, can stand outside Hong Lim park and make noise. See what police will do after that. 

Confirmed be arrested for public nuisance.

I agree with you. Every country has their own pace towards legalization. Change takes time, especially for Asian countries. It’s easy to say for Americans, who have a hundred times more serious and crucial problems dogging them, and as history has shown, they love to shove their opinion down other nation’s throats via aggression, sometimes extreme ones that lead to horrible consequences. Leave other countries to sort out their own problems. And lastly , it’s my opinion that it’s no use showing off Pride parades how gay and chirpy and flamboyant you can be / want to be to show off your “freedom” when you have gay related hate crimes (shoots, extreme bullying etc) happening (and being reported) so often (and you still can’t decide whether people have a “right” to bully each other with respect to “gay equality”) - that’s not great freedom anyway. As with all things human, we hope that education and more education can tame the evil beast, but all this takes time- if you want to balance it with harmony in society, which is priority in the government’s list. The above my opinion. 

Guest guest

Has anyone ever considered their safety and think carefully b4 being swept along to go and be there ?

I am perfectly safe staying at home in my warm bed , catching up on sleep.

Do you think Channel News Asia will be providing air time on its news channel rhis year?

13 minutes ago, Guest Tony Chen said:

I agree with you. Every country has their own pace towards legalization. Change takes time, especially for Asian countries. It’s easy to say for Americans, who have a hundred times more serious and crucial problems dogging them, and as history has shown, they love to shove their opinion down other nation’s throats via aggression, sometimes extreme ones that lead to horrible consequences. Leave other countries to sort out their own problems. And lastly , it’s my opinion that it’s no use showing off Pride parades how gay and chirpy and flamboyant you can be / want to be to show off your “freedom” when you have gay related hate crimes (shoots, extreme bullying etc) happening (and being reported) so often (and you still can’t decide whether people have a “right” to bully each other with respect to “gay equality”) - that’s not great freedom anyway. As with all things human, we hope that education and more education can tame the evil beast, but all this takes time- if you want to balance it with harmony in society, which is priority in the government’s list. The above my opinion. 

You definitely find consolation trying to find that the grapes in other countries are sour...  I was at the Pride Parade in my city and everyone was gay (happy).  No gay related crimes were reported.  The police, government, firefighters, showed their full support for the gay community, and there was plenty of security...  but not to arrest gays!

We are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the gay riots at the Stonewall Inn in New York.  Those courageous American gays laid the foundation of the gay liberation movement that spread worldwide, and WE ALL owe a lot to them.  They didn't wait to "balance it with harmony in society".  

I hope you don't find my opinion "showed down your throat via aggression, some extreme one that lead to horrible consequences"  :)

1 minute ago, Steve5380 said:

You definitely find consolation trying to find that the grapes in other countries are sour...  I was at the Pride Parade in my city and everyone was gay (happy).  No gay related crimes were reported.  The police, government, firefighters, showed their full support for the gay community, and there was plenty of security...  but not to arrest gays!

We are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the gay riots at the Stonewall Inn in New York.  Those courageous American gays laid the foundation of the gay liberation movement that spread worldwide, and WE ALL owe a lot to them.  They didn't wait to "balance it with harmony in society".  

I hope you don't find my opinion "showed down your throat via aggression, some extreme one that lead to horrible consequences"  :)

And look at how corporatised Pink Dot/Pride has been in recent years. Serving more as an avenue for capitalist businesses to pink-wash their products and services to get business through acting as if they truly care about diversity or LGBT rights.  And funny thing about how LGBT people get a day a year for a big parade as a big middle finger "fuck you we exist" to heterosexual society, ostensibly to commemorate the history of LGBT repression and Pride today in being who we are, when the LGBT community at large is still facing serious issues of racist discrimination within its ranks (just take a look on how gay dating apps like Grindr still allow "no rice, no curry" overtly racist exclusions as criteria for ppl to put on their profiles). 

That's why I will never support Pink Dot/Pride events, not to mention some other personal traumatic reasons as well. Pride and Pink Dot as we know it today is just a Western invention, following Western lines and values whilst stupidly thinking you can just transplant that into any non-Western society without facing blowback or compatibility issues. 

39 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Has anyone ever considered their safety and think carefully b4 being swept along to go and be there ?

I am perfectly safe staying at home in my warm bed , catching up on sleep.

Do you think Channel News Asia will be providing air time on its news channel rhis year?

I thought something similar last Saturday, if I should risk going to the gay parade in my city with thousands of people and catch some flu or have some other inconvenience.  It turned out that I had no problem whatsoever but enjoyed the feeling of community and the opportunity to greet the passers by and shout my lungs out.  I find that our fears can be justified but usually don't materialize.

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.