Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/call-by-pink-dot-to-light-up-homes-to-support-lgbtq-community-does-not-flout-law-msf

Call by Pink Dot to light up homes to support LGBTQ community does not flout law: MSF

Rei Kurohi

SINGAPORE - A call by organisers of the annual Pink Dot SG rally for people to light up their homes in pink during a livestream event to support the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community does not contravene any laws or regulations, the authorities said on Wednesday (June 24).

The Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) said the Government has nonetheless "engaged the organisers of Pink Dot and urged them to exercise restraint and be sensitive to the views of others in the community, the majority of whom wish to maintain the traditional family unit as the social norm".

"Our laws and policies reflect these norms," the MSF added.

The MSF's statement comes after two petitions on campaigning site Change.org, both started by a user named WS Lin, called on the Government to assign the livestream event a "restricted" rating to prevent children from watching it and to keep the event "out of homes and workplaces".

The petitions were started over the weekend and have received at least 25,000 signatures combined.

The Pink Dot SG event has been held every year since 2009 at Speaker's Corner in Hong Lim Park. It was livestreamed in past years but this year's event on Saturday will be held only online due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the organisers said last month.

The MSF also acknowledged in its statement to the media on Wednesday that this year is not the first time the Pink Dot event will be livestreamed, although the ministry did not directly address the petitions.

"The traditional family unit remains the bedrock of our society. At the same time, we recognise that LGBT individuals are part of our society, and they are free to lead their private lives and welcome to contribute fully to our society," the ministry's statement said.

"We urge all parties to be respectful and civil to each other, and avoid stridently pushing their priorities and boundaries, especially now when we need, more than ever, to maintain unity and harmony in society."

Pink Dot SG organisers said in response to queries that the livestream event is focused on "supporting the more vulnerable in the LGBTQ community who are experiencing mental and emotional stress brought about by isolation".

They noted that many members of the LGBTQ community, especially younger ones, were cut off from their support networks during the two-month circuit breaker period in which people were advised to stay at home to stem the spread of Covid-19 here.

The organisers said they hoped the LGBTQ community can feel "seen, heard and loved during these tough times" through the livestream.

40 minutes ago, StockBottom said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/call-by-pink-dot-to-light-up-homes-to-support-lgbtq-community-does-not-flout-law-msf

Call by Pink Dot to light up homes to support LGBTQ community does not flout law: MSF

Rei Kurohi

SINGAPORE - A call by organisers of the annual Pink Dot SG rally for people to light up their homes in pink during a livestream event to support the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community does not contravene any laws or regulations, the authorities said on Wednesday (June 24).

The Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) said the Government has nonetheless "engaged the organisers of Pink Dot and urged them to exercise restraint and be sensitive to the views of others in the community, the majority of whom wish to maintain the traditional family unit as the social norm".

"Our laws and policies reflect these norms," the MSF added.

The MSF's statement comes after two petitions on campaigning site Change.org, both started by a user named WS Lin, called on the Government to assign the livestream event a "restricted" rating to prevent children from watching it and to keep the event "out of homes and workplaces".

The petitions were started over the weekend and have received at least 25,000 signatures combined.

The Pink Dot SG event has been held every year since 2009 at Speaker's Corner in Hong Lim Park. It was livestreamed in past years but this year's event on Saturday will be held only online due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the organisers said last month.

The MSF also acknowledged in its statement to the media on Wednesday that this year is not the first time the Pink Dot event will be livestreamed, although the ministry did not directly address the petitions.

"The traditional family unit remains the bedrock of our society. At the same time, we recognise that LGBT individuals are part of our society, and they are free to lead their private lives and welcome to contribute fully to our society," the ministry's statement said.

"We urge all parties to be respectful and civil to each other, and avoid stridently pushing their priorities and boundaries, especially now when we need, more than ever, to maintain unity and harmony in society."

Pink Dot SG organisers said in response to queries that the livestream event is focused on "supporting the more vulnerable in the LGBTQ community who are experiencing mental and emotional stress brought about by isolation".

They noted that many members of the LGBTQ community, especially younger ones, were cut off from their support networks during the two-month circuit breaker period in which people were advised to stay at home to stem the spread of Covid-19 here.

The organisers said they hoped the LGBTQ community can feel "seen, heard and loved during these tough times" through the livestream.

Utter rubbish.

Guest Rubbishing
On 6/25/2020 at 1:57 PM, practease said:

Utter rubbish.

Exactly utter rubbish.

Singles are not allowed to buy matured estate BTO directly from HDB.   Single who bought 2-room BTO are required to pay extra $15,000 above the HDB price.  Singles cannot buy cheap 3-room from HDB directly and forced to pay through their nose at HDB resale market.  Singles cannot enjoy equal status with the married couple and if you are Singaporeans single and the married couple are foreigners, you are not special in the eyes of the govt. Singaporeans LGBT are discriminated as such, there is no denying of such FACT!

• HendryTan changed the title to Pink Dot 2020 (27 June 8 pm)
Guest Guest
12 hours ago, Guest Rubbishing said:

Exactly utter rubbish.

Singles are not allowed to buy matured estate BTO directly from HDB.   Single who bought 2-room BTO are required to pay extra $15,000 above the HDB price.  Singles cannot buy cheap 3-room from HDB directly and forced to pay through their nose at HDB resale market.  Singles cannot enjoy equal status with the married couple and if you are Singaporeans single and the married couple are foreigners, you are not special in the eyes of the govt. Singaporeans LGBT are discriminated as such, there is no denying of such FACT!

That’s where you and others have to make LGBT lives matter here ....

Guest Guest
13 hours ago, Guest Rubbishing said:

Exactly utter rubbish.

Not forgetting it is easier for singles to rent out rooms or flats , whereas couples and families ain’t easier ......most tenants  would prefer  renting from owner without family living in  

Me too.

The drag queen in hougang is pretty.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

I watched the entire live stream. It was inspiring and entertaining. However, we are still facing a lot of challenges in Singapore. Appreciate all the works and energy that put into the LGBTQ+ movement in Singapore.

Edited by riznoir

• 11 months later...
  • G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event (2009 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
1 minute ago, yuquidam said:

Can someone kindly answer this question? Never attended before so don't know what the question is about.

Light up your house in pink lah, bro

Guest Guest

There is a live stream at 8pm. 
Virtual pink dot just feels totally different than the physical event.

But then, they still bother to hold the event so I will support by watching.

14 hours ago, Zealouslogue said:

Light up your house in pink lah, bro

Oh...dumb dumb me.

Thank you, bro. 

My house already all light up in red because it's in Geylang area ar.

14 hours ago, Guest Cookie said:

Can each person light up more than once?

But what is meant by "light up MORE THAN ONCE.." ar? Kennot meh?

Edited by yuquidam

2 minutes ago, yuquidam said:

Oh...dumb dumb me.

Thank you, bro. 

My house already all light up in red because it's in Geylang area ar.

Oh! Red light district! 🤣

8 minutes ago, Zealouslogue said:

Please. Why is there so much hate on here? Ca't we all just get along? Sian siak. 😥

Soon this thread will become a war zone with missiles and rockets flying. I better siam to Hong Hong Lim park tonight for some peace and quiet while I watch pink dot online there...keke 

13 minutes ago, yuquidam said:

Soon this thread will become a war zone with missiles and rockets flying. I better siam to Hong Hong Lim park tonight for some peace and quiet while I watch pink dot online there...keke 

In a few minutes, this thread will explode into an action movie, lol. 🤣. Keyboard warriors facing off. 

2 minutes ago, Zealouslogue said:

In a few minutes, this thread will explode into an action movie, lol. 🤣. Keyboard warriors facing off. 

I hope not. Pink Dot Day is about celebrating LOVE.  Please throw roses at each other, not war cries 😆

Edited by yuquidam

1 minute ago, MNH said:

Pink dot or not people should just chill. It's just another Saturday. This aint no pride parade with club music. Speaking of which, I miss the nightlife in CLARKE QUAY. Twerking to R&B music yasssssss.

Twerk, twerk. Show off that ass. 🤣

7 minutes ago, MNH said:

Pink dot or not people should just chill. It's just another Saturday. This aint no pride parade with club music. Speaking of which, I miss the nightlife in CLARKE QUAY. Twerking to R&B music yasssssss.

4 minutes ago, Zealouslogue said:

Twerk, twerk. Show off that ass. 🤣

Oooops this is main forum. Sori!

Edited by yuquidam

1 minute ago, yuquidam said:

Ok. My fav too. Let's go twerk twerk after attending next year's Pink Dot?

Not sure if situatuon will permit liao

Guest Guest

hopefully after the pandemic we can have physical pink dot events again.

in the 2010s, the turnout was getting bigger and bigger year after year, remember there used to be ambassadors like Adrian Pang, Sharon Au, Michelle Chia etc and even corporate sponsors such as Google, Visa, Facebook, Apple, Twitter, JP Morgan, Barclays etc etc.

6 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

hopefully after the pandemic we can have physical pink dot events again.

in the 2010s, the turnout was getting bigger and bigger year after year, remember there used to be ambassadors like Adrian Pang, Sharon Au, Michelle Chia etc and even corporate sponsors such as Google, Visa, Facebook, Apple, Twitter, JP Morgan, Barclays etc etc.

Indeed

1 minute ago, kys0n said:

Marketing for this event was not done very well this year. Nevertheless, do show your support and tune in to the live show now or at least sign the digital dot!

Sign digital dot? Where?

1 minute ago, kys0n said:

https://loveliveshere.pinkdot.sg/

That's why I said this year's marketing for the event isn't done well. This kind of basic stuff also most people don't know and how/where.

Thank you, darling.😘 

Guest Guest
34 minutes ago, kys0n said:

Marketing for this event was not done very well this year. Nevertheless, do show your support and tune in to the live show now or at least sign the digital dot!

yea not much publicity this year.

i guess the announcement of phase 2 heightened alert disrupted some of their original plans and they have to make adjustment.

but still glad that they did not scrap this event during covid.

46 minutes ago, kys0n said:

https://loveliveshere.pinkdot.sg/

That's why I said this year's marketing for the event isn't done well. This kind of basic stuff also most people don't know and how/where.

yeah...I didn't even know Pink Dot is today...in the past, there would be introductory videos that leads up to the event. This year, it's so quiet...

But it was really good though, the entire production. The songs were all so amazing! And our drag queens are LIT!

18 minutes ago, practease said:

yeah...I didn't even know Pink Dot is today...in the past, there would be introductory videos that leads up to the event. This year, it's so quiet...

But it was really good though, the entire production. The songs were all so amazing! And our drag queens are LIT!

Awesome! 

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.