Male HQ

Gaydar - How Good Are You at telling if someone is Gay? + How To Develop It? + What Are The Signals? (Compiled)

Friends for 6 yrs and best friend somemore and yet u cld not detect or suspect tht he is gay???? Either ur gaydar is spoilt or ur best friend is oscar winner, and can act until no one suspect or even gay also cannot detect tht he is gay!!!

So did ur best friend know tht u r gay also? Or did u tell him u r also gay after he told u?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

is your bestfriend hot? just take him already 青梅竹马 ya know~

lol he is not hot. if he is hot, i think we wouldnt be purely friends for 6 years alrdy.

And i don't know if you guys do this, but i tend to be really cold to very good looking guys or guys i like (haha, counterproductive i know) i guess it's sorta like a protective mechanism to prevent people from thinking im attracted to them, and i guess this indifference may be a sign too.

Imo, it's better not to be able to tell if a person is gay, than to mistaken a straight guy as gay. haha, i hate false hope ):

yeah! so freakin true for both parts...

thats true... the way i see it, u had shared alot with him in the past 6 years, this is something else u could share with him.

I would be more concern as to how i'd responded to his confession, if i were you. After you'd abruptly stopped that conversation, he must be worried sick now.

hahaha, we havent talk about it since that moment. i think just remain silent better. if not i will feel awkward again.... :wacko:

Friends for 6 yrs and best friend somemore and yet u cld not detect or suspect tht he is gay???? Either ur gaydar is spoilt or ur best friend is oscar winner, and can act until no one suspect or even gay also cannot detect tht he is gay!!!

So did ur best friend know tht u r gay also? Or did u tell him u r also gay after he told u?

actually he is damn feminine. lots of mutual friends told me he is gay and stuffs. i kept telling them that he is straight. yes, gaydar spoilt. im not sure whether he knows that im a faggot. and i still not planning to tell him yet.

Tot usually feminine guys wld associate or let pple suspect and think tht he is gay? Although not 100% true lar, but u didnt suspect abt it? Lol.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

he doesnt know you're aj? :x maybe he knows hence he told you about himself ...

not sure leh..... maybe he knows. cos he used to ask me why i dont have gf yet.

Lol my gaydar is superb, almost nvr wrong b4.

Its oso true for me that I act cold towards goodlooking guys. But prolly bcuz I dun want them to think I like them n lower my self value lolll

REALLY MEH??? okay then, which member of one direction is gay? hahahha :D

Tot usually feminine guys wld associate or let pple suspect and think tht he is gay? Although not 100% true lar, but u didnt suspect abt it? Lol.

i totally didnt suspect at all. now thinking back, i recalled him having an erection when my guy friend took off his pants... and i totally thought it is a normal thing. lol

Edited by gongtang

• 10 months later...

It takes years of training to be able to have strong gaydar. (Gay Radar for Spotting Gays)

1. You must have all the gay apps, like grindr, Jack'd, etc. and religiously go through all the pic and meeting those ppl in person.

2. You must be frequent sauna goer or gay club goer.

3. You must be in tuned with all the latest gay fashion designers or hair stylists, etc.

4. You must be at least a gym members in those popular gym where many gay men go.

5. You must be up to date with the latest mediacock gossips & happenings and be able to bitch like those guests that can fight non-stop about their favorite artists.

6. You must also be one of those who are internet savvy that can go read post on all those gay blogs or gay Tumblr or even BW post by those Out-there gay men.

7. Join in those gay events, and meet and all those gay men who are out and about and not forgetting on those whom you have had sex with.

8. Or you must at least work in some gay environment, e.g. gay pub, gay sauna, gay own restaurants, etc.

9. Increase your number of gay friends.

Then and only then, when you start to realised that your head suddenly grow 2 invisible horns and slowly but surely, you gaydar will slowly take shape and walah! you can tell who is gay and who is not gay.

Edited by GachiMuchi

My gaydar is very strong and always correct.

I have also perfected the art of not letting those who have strong gaydar suspect im gay but yet at the same time i can pick up that they are gay. :P

I beg to differ. Having a good gaydar is useful and would probably be the catalyst of possible relationships and friendships. A good friend of mine, whom I liked, confessed to me that he's gay and he liked me. I was so surprised and speechless. We both liked each other for so many mths without having an inkling of our attraction towards each other because we both thought the other party was straight.

so would u think that having a good gaydar will have help spark something better? It seems to be that fate got you two together since you both thought each other was str8.

also curious to say that u said yes to his confession i suppose?

personally i think my gaydar is not totally hopeless but not great i suppose. 

i think having the charm is more impt that the gaydar because if one is charming, then perhaps the ajs will be attracted to u instead of u spotting painfully? haha..

My gaydar is okay and ordinarily normal.

I can only detect the obvious ones and those who look at me for much too long. I am both flattered and worried if someone look at me for too long. Does it mean I'm obvious?

There are some occasions where men even followed me. I could sense that but tells myself that maybe I think too much.

Out of curiosity, one time I stopped at a quiet corner and waited. He turned the corner and was surprised to see me waiting there. He immediately groped me and I let him. As there maybe people walking by any moment, I tried to stop him. He refused to stop and even managed to pull down my pants to suck me. The thrills of the danger and the flattery of his attention, I shot my load within minutes.

But after releasing my load, my rational mind returned and I rushed away even though he chased after me to get my number.

I really wonder how gaydar works. Will you guys feel that a reasonably fashionable and good looking guy, whom you caught looking at you or having eye contact with, has a high chance of being a homosexual or at least bicurious? it depends on how attractive u are also right.. for me i don't think i m good looking nor fashionable, just tall and abit geeky.. haha.

Smtimes double-checking with gay apps serves as a feedback to check if u're right. And i'm surprised there're so many jack'd users in SG.. seems like gay population is not that small afterall :P

Mine is not so good either, most of the time could not tell, especially those in executive outfit, looking smart and kinda fashionable. Straight guys nowadays can be trendy and good looking too, confused my gaydar (:

Of course some are too obvious that you don’t even need any radar to detech, but too bad not my type anyway...

And then, another problem with me is that, being as closeted as I am, I had always missed the signal. My face had been trained to remain super cold to all kinds the  eye contact in public, and in some cases, only when the moment has passed that I came to regret it :P Maybe this is why I never had any encounter chance via gaydar before :P (its ok though)

Edited by mamoi86

• 1 month later...

It's true lor. I noticed some straight/bi guys glancing but very, very fast(like nanosecond)

They are staring with curiosity, not with disgust.

2 Chinese new years ago, I was at Taka's Cold Storage. One guy, with his girlfriend or wife, kept following and smiling at me.

The girlfriend, with her gaydar alerted,  was also looking towards me to find out what her guy was staring.

She was really puzzled and pissed.

BTW, his girlfriend was tall like a model but with a bitchy look.

Gaydar Located - It's In The Eyes
http://www.science20.com/news_articles/gaydar_located_its_eyes-92785

Does gaydar exist?  If so, it's in the eyes.

Sexual orientation can be revealed by pupil dilation to attractive people, say researchers who used a specialized infrared lens to measure pupillary changes of participants watching erotic videos. Pupils were pretty accurate: they widened most to videos of people who participants found attractive, thereby revealing where they were on the sexual spectrum from heterosexual to homosexual.

Previous studies also tried to measure sexual orientation, but surveys are obviously useless and taking physiological measurements, like assessing genital arousal, have obvious problems. The authors say the new work adds considerably more to the field of sexuality research than a new measure. As expected, heterosexual men showed strong pupillary responses to sexual videos of women, and little to men; heterosexual women, however, showed pupillary responses to both sexes. This result confirms previous research suggesting that women have a very different type of sexuality than men. 

The study weighs in on the debate of male bisexuality too. Some claims were that bisexual men do not base their sexual identity on their physiological sexual arousal but on romantic and identity issues. Contrary to this claim, bisexual men in the new study showed substantial pupil dilations to sexual videos of both men and women.

Pupil%20dilation%20to%20the%20same%20sex
Pupil dilation to the same sex and the other sex. Panel A shows men’s responses and Panel B shows women’s’ responses. Y Axes reflect z-scores within participants: positive numbers indicate dilation to the same sex, and negative numbers indicate dilation to the other sex. X Axes reflect self-reported sexual orientation: 0 represents an exclusive heterosexual orientation, 3 an even bisexual orientation, and 6 an exclusive homosexual orientation. Triple lines represent regression coefficients with 95% confidence intervals. Dots represent participants’ average scores. β’s are standardized coefficients for linear effects. Credit: doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0040256.g001

"We wanted to find an alternative measure that would be an automatic indication of sexual orientation, but without being as invasive as previous measures. Pupillary responses are exactly that," says Gerulf Rieger, lead author of the new study and research fellow at Cornell. "With this new technology we are able to explore sexual orientation of people who would never participate in a study on genital arousal, such as people from traditional cultures. This will give us a much better understanding how sexuality is expressed across the planet."

"We can now finally argue that a flexible sexual desire is not simply restricted to women – some men have it, too, and it is reflected in their pupils," says Ritch C. Savin-Williams, co-author and professor in Human Development at Cornell. "In fact, not even a division into 'straight,' 'bi,' and 'gay' tells the full story. Men who identity as 'mostly straight' really exist both in their identity and their pupil response; they are more aroused to males than straight men, but much less so than both bisexual and gay men," Savin-Williams notes.

Like autism, sexuality may soon get a whole spectrum of labels that apply to the bulk of society.

Rieger G, Savin-Williams RC (2012) The Eyes Have It: Sex and Sexual Orientation Differences in Pupil Dilation Patterns. PLoS ONE 7(8):e40256. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0040256

It's true lor. I noticed some straight/bi guys glancing but very, very fast(like nanosecond)

They are staring with curiosity, not with disgust.

2 Chinese new years ago, I was at Taka's Cold Storage. One guy, with his girlfriend or wife, kept following and smiling at me.

The girlfriend, with her gaydar alerted, was also looking towards me to find out what her guy was staring.

She was really puzzled and pissed.

BTW, his girlfriend was tall like a model but with a bitchy look.

You must be prettier than the gf :D

• 1 month later...

I use a statistic approach. Determine a few hypotheses, put a weight and sum them up

for example, u can hv the following

1. Wedding band 50%

2. Dress sense/ grooming 10%

3. Mannerism 20 %

4. Muscular bod 10%

U score them according to the criteria, the higher the score the higher confidence level you got.

U improve your accuracy over time, as u learn and fine tune your hypotheses.

Are they accurate? I have some girl-friends told me guys who walk n shake their butt r gay?!

Edited by alien

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Women use gaydar to detect their competitors.

One of my lady colleague looks like Ms Piggy and she like good looking guys.

But when they refused to reciprocate, she would gang up with other colleagues to label those good looking guys as gays.

Now she is with a guy that looks like those CMIs in some Chinatown saunas.

• G_M changed the title to Gaydar - How Good Are You at telling if someone is Gay? + How To Develop It? + What Are The Signals? (Compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
  • Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M unlocked and unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.