Male HQ

Advice On Male Skin Care - Acne Product / Body Lotion / Moisturizer / Face Wash (Compiled)

look for this book called Skin Type Solution to answer a survey and find out what kind of products u need to get; they come up with a range, suitable for u, from cleanser to toner to moisturiser and sunscreen. and the products listed can be found in local pharmacies or u can go online to free shipping sites like acmamall.com to buy them. the products range from cheap to the expensive ones - so u can pick depending on ur budget. each person's skin type is different so u shldnt be seeking advice on products/procedures based on other people's results. not all doctors are good either, so perhaps u can get a recommendation on a doctor who can give different prescriptions and advice for different people...

on another note - has anyone done FRAXEL at sloan clinic?

I suffered from acne for 8 years. Extremely severe cystic acne! I tried almost every OTC products..from bezoyl peroxide, tea tree oil, face washes, acne cream, aloe vera gel to antibiotics like clyndamicin, doxycyline, erythromycin...i also tried to take supplements like zinc, vit c, liver tonic, fish oil, CLA coz i did lot of research : they are proved to reduce outbreak. However, NONE OF THOSE WORK!! Not even improvingmy skin condition and yet they are not cheap. Acne really affected my social life and it made me feel depressed most of the time, it killed my self confidence. I dont want to look great, i just want to look normal and just presentable. But no matter how much effort i put into it, it never worked. So i stopped everything and learnt to live with those big cystic acne and it was sad to think that maybe i would have acne forever. Only the severe acne sufferers will understand my feeling....But it was the past. Recently, i did lot of research on vit B coz b complex can help with depression ( yess acne and stress from study). I found quite a lot of positive feedbacks on the use of vitamin b5 for severe acne. I was skeptical at first coz of bad experience on the use of supplements. After thorough research, i decided to give it a try. I took 10 g of vitamin b5 ( pantothenic acid) divided to 4 doses/day. I bought it from Iherb. i know other websites like vitacost also have cheap supplements. DO NOT buy it here coz the price of vit b5 in singapore is bloody expensive. Until now, after 3weeks of taking it, all my cystic acne with blood and pus are completely gone. COMPLETELY! All of them were dry and just flaked away. It also helps with the extremely oily skin and prevent future outbreak. All the red marks and acne scars are fading fast too but it may need more time. Do not buy all the so-called and expensive acne supplements that i tried everything myself b4 and they never work except for making your urine yellow. and please dont listen to your dermatologist to take accutane coz the list of dangerous side effects keeps updated. I hope all the desperate acne sufferers could see this!

Update: oh and if anyone is taking garlic capsule for acne, it wont help unless your acne is caused by yeast infection (candida). After seeing many dermatologists, i dont really trust them anymore. They keep testing their products on my skin and if one doesn't work, they change to another. And long term taking antibiotics can increase yeast in the body which later causes acne!!! Antibiotics also kill all the good and friendly bacteria in the colon.

In the market, there is 500 mg capsule vit b5 available. U need take at least 8 gram ( 16 capsules) up to 12 gram ( 24 capsules) to see visible effects. Your acne may purge in the first few days but after about 10 days, u will start seeing the results. :)

Edited by Little Mikey

Guest brian87

Glad that b5 helped you. For those who're thinking of trying the vitamin B5 method, do start up from small doses. I'd suggest taking 500mg of b5 & 500mg of L-carnitine morning and night instead. These 2 actually work hand-in-hand.

Do beware of hair loss. If it becomes too severe, cut back on the dosage. Also, remember to take a balanced B vitamin complex since you might deplete your store of other B vitamins and B vitamin work in synergy.The bright(not dirty) yellow-ish urine that you get when you take B complex is due to excess vitamin B2 being carried out of the body.It's normal, so fret not.

It's good to take a good multivitamin/minerals tablet! Zinc, chromium, omega 3,probiotics are some stuff you might want to consider, and stop masturbating too much. Once a week is still pretty al'right.If not, you'll deplete your store of zinc and also cause your body to produce more testosterone , which then turns into the potent DHT and might be responsible for some people's acne/hair loss problem.

and yep, buy it from overseas! be it iherb or vitacost or other websites that I'm not aware of, it's way cheaper! Seek help from doctor/ derm early if possible too.They'll prescribe you some of these stuff:antibiotics, isotretinoin, exfoliant creams to use in adjunct with vit A derivative creams,anti-bacterial facial forms etc all depending on your condition.Start early so that there'll be less scarring! Don't regret later on in your life. There's nothing to be ashamed of having it:)

Jiayou there and sorry for the long post!Hope this helps people. Feel free to PM me if you need any help:)

• 1 month later...

REally Envy those who have smooth face. I thought of going for laser but very EXP.

CHemcial Peel is much more cheaper, but is it really effective? Raffles HoSpital 100+ per session...

Btw my skin is dull and with white / black heads with many small little holes!

Any One tO sharE expeRienceS???

REally Envy those who have smooth face. I thought of going for laser but very EXP.

CHemcial Peel is much more cheaper, but is it really effective? Raffles HoSpital 100+ per session...

Btw my skin is dull and with white / black heads with many small little holes!

Any One tO sharE expeRienceS???

You need to see a dermatologist who will be able to decide for you what procedure is good for you. Save up some money for an appropriate procedure than trying different procedures which may not help you and eventually, you would incur more costs :(

• 4 weeks later...

u can try the white bottled version of nivea moisturisers (can't remember the name) but it's not the blue one that reads "rich nourishing moisture" etc. it's the lighter version that absorbs quickly (within minutes) and you don't feel anything after a while. kate middleton uses nivea. that should say enough, right? haha

I use vaseline previously, fast absorbed,non greasy

Niveas was too greasy and the smell too strong

Now using st'ives collagen body lotion,smells good fast absorbed non greasy skin feel really soft and smooth: )

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

Body moisturizers come in 2 different types and it depends which one you prefer.

Body Oil tends to recreate your skin's natural lipid barrier and help retain the water in your skin from evaporating. These are suitable for all types of skin and are completely natural. The best nourishing ones include grape seed extracts, jojoba oil and coconut oil. I personally extract coconut oil myself in the kitchen to get myself extra virgin. This has been the best type of moisturizer for me.

Body Emulsions tend to get absorbed by the skin and nourish it from inside out. They break down into three further types.

Body lotion for light coverage - suitable for oily to oilier skin.

Body cream for medium coverage - suitable for normal skin

Body butter for heavy coverage - most suitable for dry to drier skin

These are harder to make at home by yourself so I suggest just going out and getting one yourself. I do strongly recommend that you do your best to get the one with most natural ingredients and least chemical ones. However, that might just be me being too over naturale.

Hope this helps!

Instagram | @sodamnsonni

Twitter | @sosonni

For normal skin/oily skin it reco Vaseline men (closest place to get is JB). Absorbs fast and doesn't feel sticky later in the day. Fragrance is not so strong

If JB too much of a hassle the Vasaline Green bottle (think its the cucumber one)

If dry skin try jergens (think there's one that's the cucumber also) the cream is quiet light - use this if your priority is fast absorption otherwise suggest the extra dry skin version if you have very dry skin

Nivea men or women - way too oily

i use Kathy Family lotion. Its organic, absorb fast and i reapply many times on my sun tan skin also not sticky oily residue.

brought from That Health Shop at Roxy Sq.

Many of those commericalised brands are quite 'oily' on skin even for their lotion.

Guest dslickfactory

Hey I 've got reaaaally oily skin w a few acne. What face wash should I use? Cos I tried many from garnier, loreal, oxy, babaria, and many others and they still leave my skin oily. I'm using nivea volcanic mud men face foam now. Thanks on advance!

true. I tried all sorts of antibiotics that NSC offers but all come to no avail.. My acne kept coming and its very embarrassing and causes scarring.. I decided to approach prvt clinic and the doc gave me isotretinoin and the persistent severe acne stopped and remains under control now. Just regret that I didn't seek help earlier, now there's scars and all, even though acne is more or less gone, the scars are terrible and still decreases my confidence level.

however, that medication have several side effects and may affect your liver, therefore blood tests must be done everytime the doc prescribe a new dose of medication to check for your liver function

try scaring ampoules and Palmer's lotion with aloe and vitamin e

Edited by zwei

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

I am using the Vaseline whitening lotion. Quite sticky, and it does not really whiten my skin. >.<

Any recommendation? lotion that is good for skin whitening and doesn't have the sticky feel.

I've never used a skin whitening lotion before but if you want cheaper alternatives, you can ask the people working in wattsons or guardian for help. Oh. And if you don't mind, putting foundation on your face makes your skin white too. Although it's just a tempo fix, you can still try it if you do not mind!

Hey I 've got reaaaally oily skin w a few acne. What face wash should I use? Cos I tried many from garnier, loreal, oxy, babaria, and many others and they still leave my skin oily. I'm using nivea volcanic mud men face foam now. Thanks on advance!

Yours is combination skin or just oily skin? does your face feel a bit tight or dry after you washed your face?

I've never used a skin whitening lotion before but if you want cheaper alternatives, you can ask the people working in wattsons or guardian for help. Oh. And if you don't mind, putting foundation on your face makes your skin white too. Although it's just a tempo fix, you can still try it if you do not mind!

lol, Thanks. I use those Korean BB cream. My skin looks great with it, but after clearing it, my skin become dull....

Guest JUSTrand

Currently using Skin Inc-active+ cleanser. Quite clean.

The only reason I stop changing cleanser is because I'm too lazy to try anymore.

Previously I will keep on trying new products. Below are some products that I have tried on my face with positive results or at least keep my condition a little better and prevent it from worsening. By the way I have sensitive skin, combination with oily T-zone.

Skin Inc - men active+ cleanser(soso but I like it)

Kiehls-rare earth cleanser(really good for oily face, but hate the residue)

Hada labo-aha/bha cleanser(good, but leave my face a little bit dry)

The rest not worth mentioning.

Moisturizer:

NONE

I'm still finding the perfect moisturizer for my face.

Serum:

Estee lauder-advance night repair (this is the BEST, I even use it during the day. When I'm ran out of moisturizer I'll use it without any moisturizer)

The below products are some that I'm gonna try next:

Gatzmen-regeneration cream

Philosophy-hope in a jar(oil free moisturizer)

La mer-oil free moisturizer(will be the last to try, cos extremely expensive)

Origins-starting over(oil free moisturizer)

Ceutical-caviar serum, 24k gold serum, blackhead ampoule.

Guest dslickfactory

Yours is combination skin or just oily skin? does your face feel a bit tight or dry after you washed your face?

Hey, I think it's combination skin. Yea, it feels right fret washing. And this nivea volcanic thingy is not helping any. I'm actually having small pimples. =[

Hey, I think it's combination skin. Yea, it feels right fret washing. And this nivea volcanic thingy is not helping any. I'm actually having small pimples. =[

Is your skin sensitive one? Like sometimes after you washed your face, Will it be red or itchy? If the nivea volcanic thing is not helping AT ALL, then stop using it.Try to wipe the oil on your face before you wash your face. Then just wash your face with tap water for the time being. Do you use any pimple cream for the small pimples? You can try oxy pimple cream. I'm using it to tackle my pimples.

Guest dslickfactory

Is your skin sensitive one? Like sometimes after you washed your face, Will it be red or itchy? If the nivea volcanic thing is not helping AT ALL, then stop using it.Try to wipe the oil on your face before you wash your face. Then just wash your face with tap water for the time being. Do you use any pimple cream for the small pimples? You can try oxy pimple cream. I'm using it to tackle my pimples.

ohh. what face wash shud i use then? and i cant afford to buy ex ex products. yea i using oxy too! hahaha thanks a bunch. ey not red and itchy ey? so i dont think it's sensitive.

ohh. what face wash shud i use then? and i cant afford to buy ex ex products. yea i using oxy too! hahaha thanks a bunch. ey not red and itchy ey? so i dont think it's sensitive.

This are some of the useful info i found in the net :

Combination skin is the most common skin type among men. Like its name suggests, combination skin is a combination of skin types, usually an oily/dry skin combo. If your t-zone – nose and forehead – is oily and the rest of your face seems dry, you have combination skin.

They did not recommend any specific cleansers to use but they did give an insight of what kind of cleansers to use for combination skin:

Start with a gentle cleanser:

•Always wash your face with a gentle, water-soluble cleanser to prevent irritation and dryness. If you have oily and dry combination skin, a gel-based or mild foaming cleanser will be perfect.

The best way is to go down to a shop like wattsons or guardians and check with the person for combination skin cleanser. Furthermore, you can also go down to the lab series at ion for a skin consultation. They use something like a device to check your skin. Just take note and remember what the person says on what kind of products you should use.

Guest JUSTrand

I am using the Vaseline whitening lotion. Quite sticky, and it does not really whiten my skin. >.<

Any recommendation? lotion that is good for skin whitening and doesn't have the sticky feel.

Personally I find that nivea got a really good range of body lotion. But the only lotion I've tried from Nivea is their intense whitening night lotion.

At that time when I use it I don't find it effective. But while comparing it now, it is quite effective. With nightly usage, my skin actually really became fairer and sun tanning result faded much faster.

I swam regularly back then, during my school days (3yrs ago), I was considered as really black (totally doesn't look like a chinese), but after using it for 3mths I actually managed to whitenned up and maybe became fairer than usual when I don't swim for many months.

Edited by JUSTrand

Guest dslickfactory

This are some of the useful info i found in the net :

Combination skin is the most common skin type among men. Like its name suggests, combination skin is a combination of skin types, usually an oily/dry skin combo. If your t-zone – nose and forehead – is oily and the rest of your face seems dry, you have combination skin.

They did not recommend any specific cleansers to use but they did give an insight of what kind of cleansers to use for combination skin:

Start with a gentle cleanser:

•Always wash your face with a gentle, water-soluble cleanser to prevent irritation and dryness. If you have oily and dry combination skin, a gel-based or mild foaming cleanser will be perfect.

The best way is to go down to a shop like wattsons or guardians and check with the person for combination skin cleanser. Furthermore, you can also go down to the lab series at ion for a skin consultation. They use something like a device to check your skin. Just take note and remember what the person says on what kind of products you should use.

Ok thanks eh! =) and I kinda dislike facial wash that brightens? It's makes me look like very fair and whiteeeee

I have really small pimples on my forehead, but it's usually covered by my hair. Until now, I've been using Garnier Men's Icy Cool Scrub. But yesterday I bought Simple Witch Hazel Moisturising Scrub to try. Can tell me what types of scrubs manage to clear pimples out fast?

I have really small pimples on my forehead, but it's usually covered by my hair. Until now, I've been using Garnier Men's Icy Cool Scrub. But yesterday I bought Simple Witch Hazel Moisturising Scrub to try. Can tell me what types of scrubs manage to clear pimples out fast?

from what i understand, if you've got pimples, you dont scrub your face. it'll irritate the pimples more and make it worse.

Hmmm, if scrubs aren't good for my pimples, then can anyone recommend me a facial foam that's moisturising, and an exfoliant for my pimples? Thanks :)

Actually u can try using oatmeal to cleanse your face. And oatmeal can be use as a facial scrub which is gentle to your pimple yet it is a natural ingredient :D I have tried it and it is quite good

Guest JUSTrand

Hmmm, if scrubs aren't good for my pimples, then can anyone recommend me a facial foam that's moisturising, and an exfoliant for my pimples? Thanks :)

Try menscience cleanser, it contains aha and bha good for exfoliating and aloe vera + urea for moisturizing.

have you check your skin type?

pimples really boils down to many factors,

food you eat,

sleeping timing and hours

number of times you wash your face (with water) in a day

using of good facial wash is not enough,

you must eat lesser of heaty food, drink more plain water, sleep early and have 7 hrs of sleep.

the you should never touch your face with your hands unless you are washing your face.

other than using facial wash in the morning and evening, you also need to wash your face throughout the day with plain water.

no using of those oil absorbent sheets as it will promote pimple growth.

for oily skin/ combination skin,

our face produces oil as it's too dry, so it becomes oily and hence pimple grows.

you need to use toner and moisturizer, find one that suits you, for me, I am using kield's.

as for exfioliating, i'm am still trying to find a good one.

Use to use St Ives which can be bought from Watson, but it's really rough and you should only use when your face is clear of those "big" pimples.

As for facial foam that is moisturizing.. there maybe some really good brands, but sadly, i've tried quite a lot of brands in our local Guardian and Watson, you can try Catephil which is quite good, if there's a budget constraint.

however, the real thing comes from what i've stated above and toner + moisturizer regime, this is what stops my pimple from growing.

hope it helps

• 6 months later...
Guest Guest

Does Body Shop's tea tree help? It says suitable for blemished skin.

the tea tree oil is not too bad, can try. works on me and my sis.