Male HQ

1980S. The Best Years To Be Born!

sum1outhere_03

We've got 1990s, we've got 1970s, now I shall start the 1980s clan! Haha!

Anyone else here who're born in the 1980s? ^_^

Well, the only thing I can say is that we're lucky to be born in the era where we moved from Industrial Age to Information Age... Some of us were moving from kampongs to our hdb flats, some of us still have memories of five stones and marbles, before we moved to DOS/ Win 95/ 98, where we had our pac-man, Super Mario, etc. Computers were super expensive back then, those of us who were poorer couldn't afford till the early 2000s (I think?)

MRTs back then stopped at Choa Chu Kang.

SBS buses were 10-20 cents per trip.

Can't get off in front cos the bus driver will scold...

Edited by sum1outhere_03

Will you be my valentine's? :D

We've got 1990s, we've got 1970s, now I shall start the 1980s clan! Haha!

Anyone else here who're born in the 1980s? ^_^

Well, the only thing I can say is that we're lucky to be born in the era where we moved from Industrial Age to Information Age... Some of us were moving from kampongs to our hdb flats, some of us still have memories of five stones and marbles, before we moved to DOS/ Win 95/ 98, where we had our pac-man, Super Mario, etc. Computers were super expensive back then, those of us who were poorer couldn't afford till the early 2000s (I think?)

MRTs back then stopped at Choa Chu Kang.

SBS buses were 10-20 cents per trip.

Can't get off in front cos the bus driver will scold...

I never got to take the brown branch line to Choa Chu Kang before the link from it to Yishun was completed. :yuk:

I did see the end of the line when I was on a field trip to the Yackult factory in Yishun back in kindergarten.

As for buses, those were the days when there was only one pathetic bus route to the MRT station, stayed in Tampines then.

I had to go to Bedok to do any serious shopping. :blink:

Edited by darkflame

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

1981 here!!

seen many changes like in the education system going to EM1, EM2 and EM3 system. P3 streaming then P4 streaming again. Also got many syllabus changes.

seen the MRT from one line to now so many lines. i havent even been on the circle line at all before.

Cartoons from hand drawn to now 3D CG in HD.

Internet from dial-ups to now wireless on the mobile phone.

Pager to smart phones.

From SBC to TCS to MCS. Used to have SPH also but then kena makan.

LKY to GCT to LHL. (But then my MP never change until this year. although the constituency changed quite often)

but then have to say my year quite lucky. 98 economic crisis study in poly so no worry and school fees didn't increase. 2001 crisis in NS, sheltered again. 2003/04 crash again in uni. until grad time economy go up so can get better job.

Wow.. Memories... My first computer in the 90s... In dos and had to type win or win.exe to launch win 3.1 (you miss this out)... The nintendo games attached to the CRT tv set... First subscription to dial up Internet 1996.. Where the modem goes incredibly noisy to connect and we had to remember to disconnect cos it goes at $3 per hour..

Listening to Xu mei jing's cassette tape before going to sleep... Watching rental movies on LD (child's play series 1-3) and VCR tapes.. Ye zi mei's softpxxn was also popular in that era...

Ah yes pagers and callzone phones... From using normal number only pagers to message pagers.. Had to call the operator to leave message..

SBC... my fav actress was Chen xiu huan back then...

Oh my God! Chen Xiu Huan was chio that time hahaha..

I'd prefer Zhu Le Ling, the lady who acted in the show "Mystery".

Gay stuff weren't very "hot" then, am I right? I mean, in the early 90s.

Transformers, Power Rangers and Doraemon was used to call Xiao Ding Dang instead of the Duo-la-a-mon (So direct).

(Oh, the girly stuff I watched then was 美少女战士 Mei Shao Nv Zhan Shi (Pretty Young Girl Soldiers). )

Will you be my valentine's? :D

1981 here. Hello all. :thumb:

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo F. Buscaglia

Born 1985. I'm Malaysian, but as i'm a Johorean too, i get to watch Singapore TV. Kinda amusing for many houses in Johor to have really long TV antennas on top of the roofs, even the houses in the north of Johor (except Segamat and probably Mersing) juz to get the Singapore TV signal. Those 9pm drama series had fabulous storylines back then. Most of today's drama series storyline getting really more mundane, that i no longer bother to catch 9pm drama anymore, imho.

My favourite Chinese drama series: 不老的传说 (cool immortal vampire story ;))、双天至尊、东游记、和平的代价、豆腐街 etc. Their theme songs were memorable.

Comedy sitcoms such as 敢敢做个开心人、播音人、Under One Roof were hilarious. And oh those so-catchy named characters, CityBeat's Miss Tan, Miss AiYoYo. Sharon Au, to me, was really a good prog hostess. My mum also used to watch a lot of Yan Can Cook. :lol:

Thr was this matchmaking variety prog, 金童玉女一线牵, though i nvr really recounted much of it. Star Search was also a must-watch then. I remembered Ivy Lee cried when she clinched her prize. :P

Edited by qedcwc

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

Yes yes - Under One Roof. Dont think youngsters these days appreciates such sitcoms now that they have reality programmes. :x

Also, using Discman and Walkman. I used to buy CD's or burn them just to listen 20 odd songs again and again.. HAHA. Now i feel so old.

im nice. :)

1982 here.. :thumb:

The years we spend growing up with songs from 林志穎, like 不是每個戀曲都有美好回憶... The Petshop boys with 'Go West'

The most original version of 'Journey to the west' air-ed during late afternoons on weekends?

A good and cheap journey of 15cent on the feeder services.. Some single deck SBS buses with the huge big engine at the entrance, where you have to be extremely careful not to touch it... and how these buses seem like they gonna fall apart as it travels at slightly higher speed..

----- why cant life be bigger than facing constraints and making decisions -----

Gay stuff weren't very "hot" then, am I right? I mean, in the early 90

(Oh, the girly stuff I watched then was 美少女战士 Mei Shao Nv Zhan Shi (Pretty Young Girl Soldiers). )

Yea... Not much gay stuff.. I only remembered menonthenet... And when was sgboy.com now trevvy started? I think late 90s...

That's why the 199x thread is more popular... Now in their 3rd page... Most of the younger pple are more open now abt their sexuality and more resources for them to explore..

Is that cartoon sailor moon? Punish u on behalf of the moon? Haha I love that too...

Also, using Discman and Walkman. I used to buy CD's or burn them just to listen 20 odd songs again and again.. HAHA. Now i feel so old.

Ah discman... Those days buring our own audio cd to get the 20 songs that we like to play on the go with discman... Unlike now iPod iPhone iPad what have you...

And not to forget the time spent on irc and icq ( oh oh)... Download mp3 on irc and the short spanned napster... Irc scripts and bots (who played those things ?)

Guest IamPineapple

1986 here ! :)

I miss those days when i was pri 4, and "Internet" this word had just hit Singapore... and it's a WOAH thing to surf online [ although not much content that time ] ... look now... everywhere there's internet access... not to mention, pagers hit Singapore when i was pri 6, and Handphone hit Singapore when i was sec 1...

I still remember that time take bus only $0.20... now look at the price x.x lol

1982 here.. :thumb:

The years we spend growing up with songs from 林志穎, like 不是每個戀曲都有美好回憶... The Petshop boys with 'Go West'

The most original version of 'Journey to the west' air-ed during late afternoons on weekends?

A good and cheap journey of 15cent on the feeder services.. Some single deck SBS buses with the huge big engine at the entrance, where you have to be extremely careful not to touch it... and how these buses seem like they gonna fall apart as it travels at slightly higher speed..

I totally remember that!

I was always curious about the huge engine and it really was hot. :blink:

1988-SBS6700A-767133.jpg

The bus uncle loved to speed, and it was darn noisy!

Used to dislike this bus cuz it was so stuffy...

bus_mercs.jpg

Edited by darkflame

Image00109.jpg

You are my ideal.

You are me.

Hmmm, for me, I like to game ba.

Home Gaming: Atari, Nintendo, Super Famicom / Super NES, NEC PC Engine, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Playstation 1, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox, Wii, Xbox360, Playstation 3

Games: Pacman, Spyhunter, Bouncing Babies, Excite Bike, Mappy, Super Mario Bros to the newer 3D high graphics

Handheld: cant remember the name but is the cowboy that shoots bottles and stuff before facing the boss, Gameboy, Game Gear, Gameboy Advance, Playstation Portable

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo F. Buscaglia

1981 here!!

seen many changes like in the education system going to EM1, EM2 and EM3 system. P3 streaming then P4 streaming again. Also got many syllabus changes.

seen the MRT from one line to now so many lines. i havent even been on the circle line at all before.

Cartoons from hand drawn to now 3D CG in HD.

Internet from dial-ups to now wireless on the mobile phone.

Pager to smart phones.

From SBC to TCS to MCS. Used to have SPH also but then kena makan.

LKY to GCT to LHL. (But then my MP never change until this year. although the constituency changed quite often)

but then have to say my year quite lucky. 98 economic crisis study in poly so no worry and school fees didn't increase. 2001 crisis in NS, sheltered again. 2003/04 crash again in uni. until grad time economy go up so can get better job.

Oh yes. Oh yes. Always stream and stream and it is like every year they tell you it is important as you will be divided according to how well you perform. Zzzzzz.

And O Level History also changed syllabus and the teacher told us no 10 year series to prepare. :wacko:

I totally remember that!

I was always curious about the huge engine and it really was hot. :blink:

1988-SBS6700A-767133.jpg

The bus uncle loved to speed, and it was darn noisy!

Used to dislike this bus cuz it was so stuffy...

bus_mercs.jpg

What I can remember is every time the bus stops, the whole bus will shake violently; can even hear the metal holders clearly vibrate. :blink:

From only payment is the use of coins, to those flexible transitlink cards to now the hard CEPAS tap cards.

Edited by boyzbe81

I have always loved the double deck non aircons, they are in a class of it's own. How i wish they could be around even now...

Our bus passes were made of flimsy cardboard.. Always trying to paste the stamp on just 1 box so that it gets extremely thick.. Cool stuff!

----- why cant life be bigger than facing constraints and making decisions -----

I have always loved the double deck non aircons, they are in a class of it's own. How i wish they could be around even now...

Our bus passes were made of flimsy cardboard.. Always trying to paste the stamp on just 1 box so that it gets extremely thick.. Cool stuff!

I still have them with me ^^

Still got double deck non aircon buses..... in Tuas, that is.... :P

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

For some weird reasons, this is the strongest impression I have:

1988-SBS6700A-767133.jpg

Think I use to ride in one of this.

Just for a change. I remember seeing this every weekend since my mother took me to Orchard.

And we would go to Novena in the afternoon for church before going to my relatives' place where we took a bus from Ang Mo Kio.

MRT_map_front.jpg

Wah... whr did u get this?

This is one damn old map....

1982 here.

hehe not sure if anyone remember this pager code lol "1-177155-4" & "17-31707-1"

Start using com when i was in pri 4. N i was using window 3.11, close com still need to type "park" in dos hehe..

Back then also got sega and sonic was the most popular game... then got gameboy with mario and nitendo where u can choose wat game u wan to record n play hehe

then everyday after pri sch go play tikgum, 20 cent in the machine n use touch light to shine at the card see where is the shiny card in the machine. Also got another machine i forget the name le, the machine got a baseball field kind on it, u swipe the card on the machine then the light will run n see how many base u run into, then when swiping they got a theme sound like "Ham Ta Li, 全垒打"

I am 1981 :)

Remember in my poly times, there is no thumbdrive yet so we have to get zipdrive and zipdisk, and later came CDR, with 2-4x writing speed!

Internet was not that great too, pen-pals and letter writing existed :D

1980s and 90s were indeed great times :D

I remembered dragon ball cards.. Think 40 cents a pack.. Must feel and touch carefully for the gold card... Was pretty good at it.. Haha

Sega 16bit games were cool then, moonwalker, ghost busters, golden axe, bare knuckles, and one of my fav.. Shining force!!

I remembered dragon ball cards.. Think 40 cents a pack.. Must feel and touch carefully for the gold card... Was pretty good at it.. Haha

Sega 16bit games were cool then, moonwalker, ghost busters, golden axe, bare knuckles, and one of my fav.. Shining force!!

I love shining force.. Always rush home from school to play.. Even skipped dinner just to finish the game..

talk about games, does anyone remember the card games like donkey, snap, UNO, heart attack?

used to have a sega and the only games i owned was sonic and bare knuckles (cos they were given free). the rest of games were rented from those shops which also rents out the consoles by the hour. remember must keep blowing the cartridges before inserting them in. (erm that sounds so wrong hahah)

yah and the pager codes, some must turn upside down to figure out what it means haha...

still remember polyphonic ringtones?

I am 1981 :)

Remember in my poly times, there is no thumbdrive yet so we have to get zipdrive and zipdisk, and later came CDR, with 2-4x writing speed!

Internet was not that great too, pen-pals and letter writing existed :D

1980s and 90s were indeed great times :D

Yea zipdisk survived only few years... Rmb the 1.44mb disk? Can't rmb the name of it and the even ancient soft squarish 512kb disk... Put into the drive still must lock one...

unlike now dvdr bluray... Thumbdrive portable harddrive... Last time when do project in JC still have to use diskette...

Although I nv used one of those but I think the MD is also quite a classic in our time...

talk about games, does anyone remember the card games like donkey, snap, UNO, heart attack?

remember must keep blowing the cartridges before inserting them in. (erm that sounds so wrong hahah)

still remember polyphonic ringtones?

Heart attack one of my fav game even up till now.. Anyone plays murderer?

I rmb the blowing cartridges.. Haha always cannot read...

And those nokia b/w picture messages... Iguanamobile anyone? Lolx

Yea zipdisk survived only few years... Rmb the 1.44mb disk? Can't rmb the name of it and the even ancient soft squarish 512kb disk... Put into the drive still must lock one...

unlike now dvdr bluray... Thumbdrive portable harddrive... Last time when do project in JC still have to use diskette...

Although I nv used one of those but I think the MD is also quite a classic in our time...

That'll be the floppy disk. Read thru B: drive. :D

Speaking of TV, I used to watch those Disney cartoons.

Those cartoons were really nice, compared to now.

And a lot of great Disney cartoon movies came out in the 1990s, i.e. the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin etc.

I watched them in the cinema.

Beauty and the Beast influenced me a lot cuz personality is a super turn-on for me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And about dragon ball, I remember my cousins were crazy about it. Constantly buying those cards.

My mother made me watch more Disney stuff so I wasn't really into anime etc then.

Heart attack one of my fav game even up till now.. Anyone plays murderer?

I rmb the blowing cartridges.. Haha always cannot read...

And those nokia b/w picture messages... Iguanamobile anyone? Lolx

I used to play it in primary school. Quite a fun game!

Reminds me of the period of time between final exams and holidays. :thumb:

The teacher simply said, "Just do anything you like."

Image00109.jpg

You are my ideal.

You are me.

Such a historic walkthru. Nostalgic while on a rainy day suffering sore throat - a 30year old forced to keep quiet. What did we do? Buying milk in pyramid packs. Seated in front on the floor to read hao3 gong1 min2 (good citizen). Then the craze combined of The Phantom of the Opera with Faye Wong and the Cranberries and watching the top-20 US billboard countdown. Such were the days.

Love this thread!!!

One thing tat i remember in those days that are not done in today's education system is that, teachers/discipline masters are not scared to ruffle u you when u do something wrong. If u forgot to bring your books, teachers will jus take your bags and throw it outside the classroom. Oh and there is the penalty where students are made to stand on the chairs when they misbehave.

I miss those times. If only ... today ... is like that!

Not sure if it the same, always remember collecting milk in the milk storeroom for those who ordered.. Does the 星期五周报 still exist?

I had my fair share of my maths teacher whacking the back of my head, and Chinese teacher making me stand at high altitude (table).. Was smacked silly from then.. Now abit only in the news.. Being teachers nowadays not as fun as before..

Not sure if it the same, always remember collecting milk in the milk storeroom for those who ordered.. Does the 星期五周报 still exist?

I had my fair share of my maths teacher whacking the back of my head, and Chinese teacher making me stand at high altitude (table).. Was smacked silly from then.. Now abit only in the news.. Being teachers nowadays not as fun as before..

Such a historic walkthru. Nostalgic while on a rainy day suffering sore throat - a 30year old forced to keep quiet. What did we do? Buying milk in pyramid packs. Seated in front on the floor to read hao3 gong1 min2 (good citizen). Then the craze combined of The Phantom of the Opera with Faye Wong and the Cranberries and watching the top-20 US billboard countdown. Such were the days.

I used to remember those milk packs in primary one and two.

My parents sort of didn't order so I didn't get mine. Was always envious of others. :yuk:

Haogongmin was too difficult for me. I hardly paid attention.

Always draw on the book and make the characters have speech bubbles in English.

I only know in upper primary, I was jumping like mad at cheesy stuff like Aqua, Spice Girls etc.

....and Titanic.

Edited by darkflame

Image00109.jpg

You are my ideal.

You are me.

How about...

My favourite game before farmville stuff which I dun play! :P

OMG! I LOVE AGE OF EMPIRE! That's the only game I played in the past at nearby community centre. I didn't get access to the net until I was sec 2, restricted by my elder sibling

I still remember the 星期五周报 last page have singer's lyrics, depending on what song is on hit or is on local drama theme song and my chinese teacher would never fail to make us do newspaper review on a particular article in it.

No Signature Needed