Male HQ

What Was The Last Song You Were Listening To?

DriveMe

Guest Marad44

You watch Tamil movies? Did you enjoy the movie? The flashmob was nice too.

You are right jeeves, the flashmob for Ringa Ringa was brilliant. I had to see the movie after reading reviews and viewing the TV discussion in which the producer, director, music director, cameraman, editor and cast participated. Director Murugadoss approached US-based Stan Winston Studios, who created some mesmerizing graphics in Cameroon's Avatar and Shankar's Enthiran, to do the visual effects.

I was so dumbfounded by the production that I saw it twice in Singapore and bought several copies of the DVD in Canada to distribute to the friends there. They were impressed.

Edited by Marad44

You are right jeeves, the flashmob for Ringa Ringa was brilliant. I had to see the movie after reading reviews and viewing the TV discussion in which the producer, director, music director, cameraman, editor & cast participated. Director Murugadoss approached US-based Stan Winston Studios, who created some mesmerizing graphics in Cameroon's Avatar and Shankar's Enthiran, to do the visual effects.

I was so dumbfounded by the production that I saw it twice in Singapore and bought several copies of the DVD in Canada to distribute to the friends there. They were impressed.

Haha well I thought the visual effects were ok. Definitely can't be compared to Avatar. But the movie's message was what stood out to me.

It was almost 10 yrs ago, I underwent through a very bad breakup.

So, time for some holiday and healing since my leave was just around the corner.

Things seems to fall into places that well, for I got a message from my ex campmate ( which we did had something going on , but never materialized because he is striaght but had some sort of fondness and connection with me)

He was working in the Middle East Dubai for two years, and was wondering if we will ever catch up for old time sake.

I somethings suspected Michael and I were some gypsies in one of our past life, for we have a tremendous need to be freedom, so we both were the most daring ones who dared to break and defy most of the SAF rules those days.

Since he was making big bucks working in the oil refinery there, he paid for all my air ticket and expenses, so I found myself in the Middle East for two weeks, within a months time.

Since he was on leave, we synchronized our timing together, and It was him who planned the holiday artilleries.

And one of the most unforgettbale experience was to experiencing the ruins of ancient Eygpt.

The Sahara dessert......

Both of us hired horses and rode upon the sand dunes where the ancient pyramids stood just next to us, in Alexandria.

When the evening sun sets to cool down the heat of the dessert ( which can be as high as 57deg) , and evening wind gathers shuffle the sands like an invisible palm of an unseen, the orange hue of the evening sky is simply breathe taking.

In the distance , we can hear the the Muslims offering their last evening prayer, with the sky above us so high, and the vast land infront of us , so wide and mysteriously haunting and enchanting, there is a sense of a connectness with Earth at this instance,

One could feel this spontaneous instance to realize what freedom, harmony and the love of nature and God, only the nomads the wanderers, the travelling tribes, or the gypsies will only understand, the freedom unbounded by men made laws and rules.

This is the freedom to be free, with things and people you hold on to so dearly once , suddenly become so meaningless , and you let them go, like the dust in your hand, to be blown away by the wind.

Between the Heavens and the Earth, this is where you are, this is where you belong, totally safe from time

I can't describe this freedom , until I heard the soundtrack of an old 1978 British movie- Caravan - composed by Mike Batts ( Michael and now Mike!!!)

, then can I convey the beautiful of the silence and freedom, which is almost escatatic......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ho7MIWeTA&NR=1&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppXrDbnPMA&feature=related

It reminds me of Mori Shin-Ichi in the 60-70's when he created hits after hits during my university years there. Here he is, delivering one of my favorites, 'Fuyo no Riviera' (Winter in Riviera) at the annual year-end Red and White show: http://www.dailymoti...o-riviera_music The lyrics are at http://www.musicajap...sica.asp?Id=480

I remember him in the Red-White show in the 80s.(I think so). He's familiar.

Nice song. Like the way he concentrate, almost feel like he means what he sings.

An 80s Jap pop idols. The Checkers with Tear's Request.

Edited by glowingember

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Guest Marad44
Katy Perry the one that got away...(media deleted fro brevity)

Everyone has one that got away...

Everyone has been the one that got away...

:huh:

Edited by Marad44

Everyone has one that got away...

Everyone has been one that got away...

:huh:

sometimes i really miss him a lot but i can't do anything about it since we r in our own life now.

just have to blame my self for my selfishness and my stupid prides in my teenage days . :huh:

It's surprising that most of Simon and Garfunkel 's fan are not familiar with this song from them - America -one of my favourite song with has a strong nostalgic woodstock aroma, the 60's flower power flourishing, with the romantic search of freedom for a better life, out of the dark social and political constrains , unrest and uncertainties.

Infact, it was written during the 60s Woodstock period, in line and the memories borrowed from the 1900's mass migrations from Europe, all escaping the unemployment, the overcrowding and the povery from their native soil, seeking the big Golden American Dream, only to be disappointed eventually.

Was listening last night, did brought back memories of my 1999 tour to San Fransico, where I went to Haight Ashbury, at Mission Street, one of the birth place of the Hippee Flower Power People.

And next to it, the Haight Ashbury Park, where in the 60s, the Flower Power Hippees, used to smoked weeds, slept and roamed almost naked, chant Hindu mantras, worshipped Eastern Philosophy and religion, and uprised to protest the Nixon/Kennedy presidential rulings.

Hippees were much like the modern day gypsies, and surprising, when I was there, there were still quite of large group of old Hippees, those who survived throught the 60s and still unable to relinquish their Woodstock lifestyle, still lost in their own world and time, with a strong aroma of weed pots around them. They should be in their 50s.

One of the prominent features of Haight Ashbury was the beautiful graffitis on many of the walls. They were not removed, but left as the legacy of the Hippees, and today, a tourist attraction I suppose

I talked to some of them, surprising , some slept in the streets and the Ashbury Park, extremely friendly, didn't ask me for money, and even invited me to spend the night at the Park with them, and i watched them, danced, sang, boozed, smoked weeds around their campfires, under the clear starry night.

Two days I shot about 30 rolls of flims, using Ilford 400, with my Nikon FM2 and Leica R6.2 manual cameras those days.

Managed to blow up about 21 large prints from the 36 compact prints.

I should frame them up in my new place, on a particular wall, honouring those Hippee Flower Power People, those who once fought and still believe in the freedom of the human spirit

Edited by TheVisitors

Love Simon & Garfunkel, and "America" is one of my favourite songs by them. My favourite part of the song is when the young couple in the song play a game of judging the secret careers of the other people on the Greyhound bus they are riding in, from the clothes they wear ("She said the man in the gaberdine suit was a spy/ I said, "Be careful, his bowtie is really a camera!"). Also, I really love the way they paint a vivid picture of the hordes of young people setting out on the highway (literally and figuratively) to explore the vast land of opportunities and dreams that lay out before them in the troubled but hopeful era of 1960's America when S&G sing "They've all gone to look for AMERICA!". Sends shivers down my spine, every time I hear that moving refrain.

Anyway, the last song I was listening to on my iPod last night was miles away from "America" by S&G. It was "Totally Wired" by the British post-punk cult band, The Fall. It's very abrasive and has a very propulsive beat and is filled with lead singer Mark E. Smith's typicaly sardonic, deadpan lyrics and talk-singing. Some of you might know who I'm talking about. It's not everyone's cuppa tea. But check it out, anyway. It's always good to expand your idea of what pop/rock music should be:

"I look upon those who would deny others the right to urge and argue their position, however irksome and pernicious they may seem, as intellectual and moral cowards."

-- William E. Borah

Just re-read Antoine De Saint Exupery's The Little Prince the 4th time

And have been listening to this hit - Price Tag - by Jessica J for the last few weeks, and I see the similiar the message.

Its very tiring , to think, that people are conditioned to see and judge things, and even people, with a price tag stick on them.

Their little minds are merely ruled by the figures, status and statistics they believe to be the truth they conclude for themselves.

Money seems to be more important than realizing a personal worth, based on the basic humanity

Free and intangible things like love , true friendship happiness, and even the air we breath, are not really appreciated, if not, abused.

Simply because if it doesn't comes with a price tag, it is not worth the trouble to pay any attention to

I have no time for such silly lttle minds, who pass such judgements, day in day out.

Just tell them to keep the fxxking Change to themselves

Edited by TheVisitors

Guest Marad44
... <Video removed for brevity>...Free and intangible things like love , true friendship happiness, and even the air we breath, are not really appreciated, if not, abused. Simply because if it doesn't comes with a price tag,...

Couldn't agree more. The song is beautiful, video shoot smart and the message simple.

We are conditioned to, 'good things no cheap, cheap things no good' and psyched into the marketing strategy of catchy packaging and cranked up prices.

Edited by Marad44

Couldn't agree more. The song is beautiful, video shoot smart and the message simple.

We are conditioned to, 'good things no cheap, cheap things no good' and psyched into the marketing strategy of catchy packaging and cranked up prices.

About two years ago, I went to Greece and bought myself a leather bag.

Its a full leather bag with top grade calf leather, and good workmanship.

It looks like those 30s post man saddle bag kind of look.

When I brought the bag around, it caught the attention of many people.

People actually thought the bag was from Hugo Boss, Bally or Tods and thought I paid like at ;least $1500 for it.

When I told them, I bought from a shop in Greece for euro $120, immediately there was this disappoinment on their face.

And someone can even remarked

" So cheap? Are you sure it is that good quality? "

i guess i m fine w "no brand" or non-designer wear...as long it s NOT imitation....alot of youths have been visiting the gmarket to get..........

Presenting u Bruno Mars:

from the twilight saga (i hve Not watched a single show of the series)

another version: w an overly exertion to some lines:

Guest Marad44
Bai_Long' timestamp='1327921706' post='375766'] media removed for brevity

I agree lovehandle. It transcends linguistic barriers, pulling on the heartstrings with its nostalgic music and video.

Edited by Marad44

Guest Marad44
... When I told them, I bought from a shop in Greece for euro $120, immediately there was this disappoinment on their face. And someone can even remarked, "So cheap? Are you sure it is that good quality?"

Those who pay premium price for pomp & ego will learn the truth about real value when they re-sell - as second-hand. ;)

Guest Marad44
<media deleted="" for="" brevity="">... SO ADDICTED to this song right now
I can see why. Only superlatives for this Kyoto-born 29-year old Kumiko, the sensation who mesmerizes her listeners with her countless hit singles and albums. This video with Omari Ishmael Grandberry just rocks! Thanks for sharing CM! Edited by Marad44