Male HQ

Yoga Discussion (Compiled)

Guest Guest

Start by practicing against a wall. You start from plough position, your back facing the wall. Kick your feet off the ground, or have an instructor/friend assist, until you are in an upright/handstand position. Use the wall for support. Do one feet at a time, with the other feet on the wall for support, until you find your balance and strengthen your core. 

Love. 

• 1 month later...

I recently started doing yoga again after a long break.

If you're like me and prefer practicing yoga at home on my own rather then in a studio, then I'd definitely recommend Tim Senesi's videos on Youtube.

However, if you're new to yoga, then it'd be better if you went to a studio with an instructor present to guide you.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Sport-coholic
9 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Your thinking of yoga is for old ppl is so flaw. Aiyoh. 

Errm because I don't see 20s year olds guys in my yoga classes. My "old" is above 35 as we are being called an uncle and may face difficulties getting a job in Singapore.

8 hours ago, Sport-coholic said:

Errm because I don't see 20s year olds guys in my yoga classes. My "old" is above 35 as we are being called an uncle and may face difficulties getting a job in Singapore.

I noticed there are some 20 yo but rare

most are rather "old" as defined by sportcoholic (and including me myself abv 40)

but tsk

Sport,
Stop calling ourselves uncle leh

and stop reminding we have mid-career issue now (it s painful, much more painful than doing yoga stretches) , kekekekeke

However, it s more of the angmoh (males, let s leave out the females for now) straight ones are instructors or are interested in doing yoga(though they could be abv 35yo)

old or NOT, majority of the yoga participants are Ladies, all the fb posting that I have seen from my friends, are nearly ladies

when I tell a male, I joined yoga before, they jumped as though I m wearing a dress infront of them............

tsk
What era are we in?
and my yoga is not the usual ones (mentioned above, or those attached in youtube)

Guest Sport-coholic
2 hours ago, lovehandle said:

...stop reminding we have mid-career issue now (it s painful, much more painful than doing yoga stretches) , kekekekeke

Oops, sorry.

nice to know so many of u who luv,

the younger ones may not appreciate the effects of a yoga and they have "youth" to squander it away....

When I was so much younger , I assumed yoga is all about flexibility but I was entirely wrongly

13 hours ago, iamnotashame said:

Never tried Yoga before. Heard fr a friend who had his first time doing hot yoga that he almost fainted. Is it safe to do hot yoga?

Yoga in a hot room heated to anywhere between 38 to 42 degrees makes one perspire more, and has a detoxifying effect for the entire system.

It can be quite refreshing after the session.

Of course, hot yoga poses its own unique challenges, like sweaty palms, slippery grip on the mat, soaked top, breathlessness and heart-racing intensity, amongst others.

My advice is to be prepared with hydration, a towel for wiping off facial sweat, and dri-fit wear.

And also, to choose a suitable hot class - maybe a basics or level 1 class, instead of Bikram/hot classic.

And since only you know your body best, rest if you feel your heartbeat approaching your maximum tolerance level, or if you feel that the heat is getting too intense.

Even seasoned practitioners feel different in their bodies every day.

We all have different lifestyles, fitness and activity levels, medical and health histories, so our bodies are all different. 

Do what serves you, always.

And always focus inward on your breath and your mind, since yoga is all about connecting the breath, the body and the mind.

2 hours ago, bluerunner said:

For hot yoga class, especially Bikram, it's best to do topless with a pair of yoga trunks. Body feels really good when it can perspire freely. Really like hat feeling (of course, damn shag yet Shiok after coming out from practicing Bikram)

I m shy, no good body to show

28 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

I m shy, no good body to show

Ah I need to "enlighten" you Liao. In yoga practice, it's not about those people sharing the same room with you. It's about you and your inner self. Be at peace and you will find tranquility in your thoughts. 

Nameste. 

54 minutes ago, bluerunner said:

Ah I need to "enlighten" you Liao. In yoga practice, it's not about those people sharing the same room with you. It's about you and your inner self. Be at peace and you will find tranquility in your thoughts. 

Nameste. 

Aiyo, I  m not bothered with them - that was just an excuse above

I luv the sweat to be wrapped w cotton/cloth instead of dripping all over my mat, and my musk to be contained within the tee ....kekekekeke

Most of the poses that I cannot bend or do, I continue with myself, regardless of how perfect are the rest esp the gals

2 hours ago, ongjason said:

Who are your favourite teachers in local studios...?

Some of mine - Kiki, Deborah, William Wong, Kristin Lewis (when she was still here), Rene Ekeheien, etc

Advertising for Pure? But seriously, the ones you mentioned are good, especially because they don't over-mystify the spiritual practice of yoga.

6 hours ago, Guest said:

Advertising for Pure? But seriously, the ones you mentioned are good, especially because they don't over-mystify the spiritual practice of yoga.

Haha you must be from Pure and/or know these teachers personally!

These teachers are knowledgeable in asana instruction, anatomy movement (particularly William), deliver good instruction, don't take themselves too seriously (Rene).

Apart from them, I can also recommend Tanya and Georgia of Yoga Movement.

I guess I gravitate towards teachers who are approachable and personable.  I've had the experience of practising under 2 teachers (separately), who in my opinion were judgmental/critical of their students (saying things like "this class of students needs more flexibility" with non-verbal cues such as a barely perceptible sneer that still can be picked up unconsciously), or who maintain such a divide from their students, they refuse to establish eye contact with the student throughout a 60/90 minute class.  To me that's just plain rude and is not something I want to see in my yoga teacher.

Guest JasonP

I personally witnessing an old uncle who have been practicing bikram yoga at true pacific transformed himself. He hv similar spine conditions and in the beginning I saw that his spine was very much distorted and bend like "S".

In the spans of 2 or 3 years. I saw his back got straighter. I personally don't know him as I don't practise bikram but saw him at the changing room often after our classes.

• 1 month later...

Many guys in my yoga classes go topless in both room temperature or hot temperature classes. Not all are the typical 6-packs, but we don't judge bodies in yoga. Some will start with a tank but take it off halfway. Mostly it's the angmo guys though.

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:48 AM, Guest said:

Many guys in my yoga classes go topless in both room temperature or hot temperature classes. Not all are the typical 6-packs, but we don't judge bodies in yoga. Some will start with a tank but take it off halfway. Mostly it's the angmo guys though.

agree fully that not many local men  are into yoga

next , even if there are, they are not lean not necess slim

and we don't judge

• Guest locked and unlocked this topic