Male HQ

Shanghai ( China ) - Massage / Sauna / Places To Visit (Compiled)

DragonRider

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Might be going to Shanghai the first week of August for a conference, so am planning ahead and doing some form of research.

Is it foreigner-friendly over there? As in non-Chinese people? Any difficulties communicating in English? My Mandarin is obviously super limited ahaa.

Hi Butterscotch, trust me Shanghai might be the most foreigner-friendly city in mainland China, since a century and a half ago. According to a recent conservative estimate, there said to be over 250,000 foreigners living and working in Shanghai nowadays. There are even quite a few residential areas filled with expats, where retain distinct “exotic” western atmosphere. Although quite a few Chinese white-collar employees are getting used to writing and speaking English during working hours, please do not expect most of the people on the streets speaking English at a decent level. Even so, it is yet not too difficult for you to discover the city on your own, as bilingual signs (in Mandarin and English) are prevalently visible in town with regard to hotels, restaurants, and metro lines etc. An in-depth visit or more “intimate” contact with local guys might require to speaking Mandarin though…

As a native guy living and working here, I would encourage you to explore the charms of this huge city from diverse aspects, including the partially active gay scenes in town. Enjoy your time in Shanghai ^^

Hi Butterscotch, trust me Shanghai might be the most foreigner-friendly city in mainland China, since a century and a half ago. According to a recent conservative estimate, there said to be over 250,000 foreigners living and working in Shanghai nowadays. There are even quite a few residential areas filled with expats, where retain distinct “exotic” western atmosphere. Although quite a few Chinese white-collar employees are getting used to writing and speaking English during working hours, please do not expect most of the people on the streets speaking English at a decent level. Even so, it is yet not too difficult for you to discover the city on your own, as bilingual signs (in Mandarin and English) are prevalently visible in town with regard to hotels, restaurants, and metro lines etc. An in-depth visit or more “intimate” contact with local guys might require to speaking Mandarin though…

As a native guy living and working here, I would encourage you to explore the charms of this huge city from diverse aspects, including the partially active gay scenes in town. Enjoy your time in Shanghai ^^

Thanks Togayther! I do look forward to my trip though I am still unsure of where to go, gay and non-gay related. As I will only be there throughout the weekdays, I doubt the night life will be particularly interesting... though I do hope to step into a bar at the very least. Do you have any recommendations? Given the fact that you are there... :)

Thanks Togayther! I do look forward to my trip though I am still unsure of where to go, gay and non-gay related. As I will only be there throughout the weekdays, I doubt the night life will be particularly interesting... though I do hope to step into a bar at the very least. Do you have any recommendations? Given the fact that you are there... :)

Regret to know you will be in Shanghai on weeknights only... In this case you might unfortunately miss the amazing gay club “ICON”, supposed to be currently the biggest gay dance club in Asia. It was launched in Shanghai couple of months ago this year, but it only opens on Friday, Saturday and public holiday nights. As a way to compensate, there are still a few gay bars which you could check out on weeknights.

Bet you have done some research from internet - it is really ashamed to say there are not so many active gay venues in such a mega city with a population of over 23 million. In my humble opinion, there only attractive gay nightlife hangout (except ICON) is probably “Shanghai Studio”, which is located on Unit 4, No. 1950 Middle Huaihai Road (address in Chinese read 淮海中路19504号靠近天平路), near the intersection of Middle Huaihai Road and Tianping Road. Restored from a former site of bomb shelter hidden inside a local housing estate, this gay pub is like a subterranean labyrinth, interesting though not big in scale. It might be a bit difficult to find the entrance, so pay more attention when you approach. The crowds are mostly hot young guys at late 20s to early 40s, both local and international. It opens around 9.30 pm every night.

For the non-gay parts, the most popular nightlife venues are on the Bund (or Waitan in Chinese, literally means the waterfront), and Xintiandi (literally means New Heaven and Earth). Various restaurants, bars and nightclubs at the range from moderate to high-end, upscale level. These two are also popular hangouts among middle/first class (no offense or classism though) LGBT patrons therefore you could try your luck through eye contact, or at the very least go there for a feast for eyes J Another reason is that English is well spoken in all restaurants, bars, clubs in above two areas.

Last but not the least, make sure you have installed Jack'D (gay apps similar to Grindr etc) in your cell phone, as it is definitely popular among Chinese gay crowds. It is damn easy for you to hook up guys online anytime anywhere. However, please be very DISCREET if you consider to take some guy back to your hotel room. It is ashamed but I have to remind you of potential robbery or extortion which might take place in your hotel room. As you probably have read some reports that so-called money boys (most of them usually are pretending as massage boys) are not rare in China, no exception to Shanghai. Caution and Have Fun, anyhow

Togayther

Thanks for the recommendations, Togayther! Yeah it is rather unfortunate that I will only be there in the week, but I'll try to make my trip as worthwhile as possible... after work, that is ahaa. My research is only cursory at the moment; I am going to continue reading up and listing down places of interest. I don't have those apps on my phone even if they are the easiest channels to find hook ups. We'll see about having them.

• 3 months later...

For those who are into massage in Shanghai, I recommend a place call "Helen Massage" under 春 group branches, they provide pretty good oil massage plus happy sensual ending. Call for masseur no 19, he have good massage skill n .... It's at Tai An Road near Hua Shan Road (near metro line 10 Jiao Tong Uni Station). RMB 268 plus tipping

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear Guys,

I will be in Shanghai in May.

Any hotel to recommended?

There are many different hotel choices in Shanghai, it is all depending what do you want to do. I live in Huaihai Road in a suburb as well know as French Concession - A lot of cafe, pub and some old Shanghai style houses but if you want something close to the town then perhaps look into the hotels close to the Bund. I only been to the Bund area few times after live here for just over 2 years.

Guest casman

For those who are into massage in Shanghai, I recommend a place call "Helen Massage" under 春 group branches, they provide pretty good oil massage plus happy sensual ending. Call for masseur no 19, he have good massage skill n .... It's at Tai An Road near Hua Shan Road (near metro line 10 Jiao Tong Uni Station). RMB 268 plus tipping

Hello, I am going to Shanghai May 6th- 10th.... planning to go to Helen Massage, i do not see the sensual massage in the services, how do you ask? is my first time going...

Was in Ding Ling a few weeks back on a Sat evening. It was PACKED. There must have been more than 100+ people. There was even a queue for each of the 6-8 shower stalls. People were friendly in the dark rooms; lots of touching, blowing and even intercourse. As usual, the floor felt a bit dirty so I was tip-toeing around. Ended up with a handjob which was fine as I didn't feel like anything more. There was a massage-guy there who seems to be doing a good job but the message area is fully exposed so no hanky-panky. If the reception guy asks you for your member-card, just say confidently that you forgot to bring in Mandarin, and he'll let you through at no extra charge.

Dear Augeow,

Thank you for your help.

I already booked my hotel near The Bund.

BTW, any recommendation for massage when i am in Shanghai.?

Thank you.

Hey Chubtopchn,

There are many good massage places in Shanghai, as long as you DON'T response to anyone approach you around Nanjing west road, it seems it is quite rough there. Spring Massage is good one, they have many branches around Shanghai. You can choose no hanky-panky or with HJ massage there, I think it is 258RMB with HJ or 198RMB without, I can't really remember as I haven't been for long time.

Hope this help.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Shanghai,

Ding Lin shifted to new location.

Address: Hui Wen Road No. 50. Nearest Metro station: Bao Shan.

Would you mind to share your experience?

Just came back from Shanghai. Will share some useful information.

1. Airport

Singapore flights will land at Shanghai Pudong International Airport.

Between Changi and Pudong is about 5 hours travel.

2. Prepaid China DataPlan SIM Card

Skip the expensive data-roaming by your local telco.

At the airport, I got a pre-paid China Unicom (A China Telco) SIM card. On the spot Registration.

Cost is RMB 100 (SGD 20) for 500 MB of Data. Local calls included too.

I brought an old smart phone for the China SIM card.

I don't know how we can survive without data plan in this age.

3. Online Maps

Google Maps is NOT accessible in China.

Download the free Baidu Maps App onto your Apple / Android Phone before the trip.

It functions like Google Maps. Complete with bus/metro/car/walking navigation instructions

You will appreciate the data plan in (2).

4. Metro (MRT)

At any Metro station, go buy a 24-hours Metro pass for RMB 18 (approx SGD 5) at the Ticket-Counter. (NOT available on ticketing machines) Unlimited travel on the metro for 24 hours from the minute you first use the pass.

I took the metro from Pudong Airport into Shanghai and back. The Metro trip each way is about 80 minutes.

You can imagine the amount I saved on Taxi.

I downloaded an online Shanghai metro-map Phone App (Explore Shanghai Metro Map) to complement Baidu Map.

The metro system is similar to Singapore MRT, so you will be comfortable with it. Just that they have more lines. Also be wary that the last trains ends early. So if you are travelling back late, plan your time.

5. Traveling between Shanghai and other cities

I traveled to Hangzhou and Nanjing too. China has a system of Fast Trains between major cities.

eg Between Hangzhou and Shanghai (175km, it was 1.5 hours for approx SGD 25. Cheaper if you take the normal speed trains but add an hour of travelling time)

On the Fast Train, I bought second-class tickets. The fast trains were clean, air-con, comfortable, quiet and fast.

First class seats cost 50% more. You need your passport to buy train tickets.

Search online on Baidu Search Engine for the train schedules and fares. Then take the Metro /taxi to the Train station.

Alternatively, you can take the Inter-City Buses/Coaches. It goes on travel coaches for approximately SGD 10, depending on distances between cities. On one leg of my trip, all the train tickets were sold out, I took a cab to the Bus Terminal to get the buses.

Don't fall for the touts at the train stations. They were trying to sell me RMB 200-250 (SGD 50) for a RMB 50 (SGD 10) Bus ticket. But if you are desperate, bargain to RMB 150 (SGD 30), they will use their system to rush you to board the bus complete with ticket fare.

6. Online Trip Planner

In China use the China trip planning site http://www.ctrip.com

It has some good deals for hotels and local tour packages.

It accepts PayPal, VISA, Mastercard.

It has an English site http://english.ctrip.com/ . When I had problem with one of my hotel bookings, they have English Speaking telephone operators you can speak to.

Guest JingAn Joe

What about the new Ding Lin location.  This seems to be breaking news.  I was planning to go in July on my next trip.  Any photos of the front?

Guest JingAn Joe

Any reports of the new layout of Ding Lin?  Is it bigger? Newer? Cleaner?  I thought the old place was dated but pretty cool.

1. There are 3 well known gay saunas in Shanghai.

• LianBang (上海联邦桑拿)
  • DingLing (上海鼎临浴室)
  • HuLi (上海互利沐浴休闲中心)

I will do my trip report to HuLi sauna/bathhouse.

2. Shanghai is quite well connected by Metro. Metro-system is very similar to Singapore MRT. But they have more lines and fares are much cheaper. I bought a 24-hour unlimited ride metro pass for rmb 18 (SGD 5) Used the free mobile app "Explore Shanghai" and Baidu maps which are both available on Android/iOS to locate the metro stations and roads. See my other recommendations several posts above.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Shanghai Huli Bathhouse/Sauna. 上海互利沐浴休闲中心

Address: 415 BaoTong Road, 2nd floor 宝通路415号二楼, 宝通路与中兴路交叉口附近

Tel: +86-21-6629-0256

I took the Shanghai metro to DongBaoXin Road (东宝兴路站) Metro Station (Line 3)).

huli_map.png

Figure 1: Map to Shanghai Huli Bathhouse/Sauna

See the map and follow the blue route I drew from the metro station. It is 750 m/10 minutes on foot.

From the metro take Exit 2 to reach the car parking lot.

Then make a RIGHT turn into DongBaoXin Road (东宝兴路) which has shop houses on both side of the road. You can see the door numbers increasing from 420, 430 .. 460, you know you are walking in the correct direction.

Lookout for a Chinese Bank (ICBC), then do a left turn into ZhongXin Road(中兴路).

At the next traffic junction, right turn into BaoTong Road (宝通路). A few buildings later you can see block 415 on your right.

Go to the second floor it is Huli Bathhouse/Sauna.

huli_streetview.jpg

Figure 2: Streetview of 415 BaoTong Road where Shanghai Huli Bathhouse/Sauna is housed.

HuLi entrance fee is RMB 50 (SGD 10). Extra charges if you stay overnight. No Membership required.

Deposit your shoes at the payment counter. They pass you a pair of plastic slippers and a numbered locker key. They give you a small towel, short and shirts.

Based on the numbered key given, look for your locker number. Double lock your things and all your clothing inside. Naked with the small towel, go to take a bath. It is a bathhouse after all.

You can also approach the staff to book a rub back session. It is RMB 20 (SGD 5). Rub-back is done in an enclosed partition at the side of the bath hall.

The rub-back staff is XiaoBai, 30yo. He gets you to lie naked on the couch face up. As it will be wet, he also strips himself naked. Then he uses a small towel to rub you down, body, crotch, legs. Then it is the back. You will be amazed how much dirt he cleans out from your body.

If you like his service, ask him for a massage at RMB 168 (SGD 35). It is done in a private room, anything else is between you and him .

After the sauna and bath, you go back to the locker and change into the provided shorts and shirt.

There is a TV room where customers lie around to watch TV and interact. There are also activity rooms for mahjong. All facilities on one floor. There are money boys hanging around, when they spot new faces, will sure zoom in on you. They will approach you and try to make friends then offer you their prices. RMB 200-300-? (SGD 40-60-?) from massage to extras to more, depending on what you want. I didn't take their offerings so cannot elaborate more :-)

The sauna has private rooms for rental at RMB 40/hour (SGD 10) where you can book to rest and have private moments.

After your adventure, change back and return the slippers, towel, shorts and shirt to the counter. Clear any extra bills and return your locker keys. They will retrieve your shoes.

Use the above map to reverse your way back to the metro station. Advantage of this route is that on the way , public signage will help point you back to the metro station. Happy and clean :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Going to Shanghai next week for one day so I can only choose one massage place.

Can anyone give a review of Hero Man Spa and Shanghai Door Health Club?? Are the masseurs clothed/naked, is there a happy ending, is it extra for that etc....

Or if any Shanghai locals can nominate the best b2b massage in town I would really appreciate it!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • G_M changed the title to Shanghai ( China ) - Massage / Sauna / Places To Visit (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.