Male HQ

Baking Group

aldric

can we all throw aside what 6 pecs lah, handsome or not, ugly or short and jus hold a baking/cooking session? Whose house is big enough?? While quite a no. of us definitely has a conventional oven (not those portable ones) , I m  not sure in a typical hdb flat, how to hold a group of bakers in a small kitchen???

anyone has any good suggestions??? or just a small grp of 4 ? cos anyway it is just talking about baking and passion for cooking right?

Hi fellow bakers,

May I ask can a bakery shop make money?

If not, why are there so many bakery shops opening one after another in shopping malls and at HDB?

What are the challenges of setting up and managing one? Thanks.

gd qns

u hve to ask the bakery then

yes, I agree it s sprouting out here and there

so long u r in the retail/f&B , there bound to have that similar set of challenges

Y? u r opening one soon?

gd qns

u hve to ask the bakery then

yes, I agree it s sprouting out here and there

so long u r in the retail/f&B , there bound to have that similar set of challenges

Y? u r opening one soon?

It depends. Your cake or bakery has to be unique and different from other people. So it can attract people to dine. 

8 hours ago, Chocolateabs said:

It depends. Your cake or bakery has to be unique and different from other people. So it can attract people to dine. 

yes, but even unique get copycats

at one point, when only breadtalk got the pork floss, now the whole world has it
at one time, only one has charcoal bread, now all have the black bread

I saw many innovative ones keep sprouting out in hdb  (as raised by kidsters) but.........once I tasted a horrendous 1 with high pricing that is it, will never frequent again

Might have good news! (location yes, weekends preferably

the unofficial* (&Official expertise) enthusiasts pls report  here (Share your ideas too)! Lol

If u r expecting for a bakery class of an academy standard like in Shatec/sunrice or SIT (https://www2.ciachef.edu/singapore/courses.html), then this may not well be the best place
We aim to start from VERY small and ez to understand simple baking....

Chocolate , shyc, @ThePineapple @Boiboi15 @Curious_Mac can u teach? or anyone

Unofficial: Why unoff? cos for me, I m never those obedient -go-by-the-book type, so long I can cook out a dish/a pastry ie fine, I m NOT going for masters for culinary or to bcome James oliver or going to Open a RA (restaurant Andre)
U get me?

chefs shd stress but not the rest

Cross boundaries (from acting or writing to ....cooking) :霆锋 Nicolas tse

many foodies recommended this show cos hardly there are any cooking shows (mandarin)

None of them, including Japanese used gloves when serving the last cut (except sg!)

Edited by lovehandle

13 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

the unofficial* (&Official expertise) enthusiasts pls report  here (Share your ideas too)! Lol

If u r expecting for a bakery class of an academy standard like in Shatec/sunrice or SIT (https://www2.ciachef.edu/singapore/courses.html), then this may not well be the best place

Thanks for the invitation, unfortunately cannot commit. 

Great to hear the possibilities of a 'Great Sg bake-off', a spin off of the popular baking series where amateurs gather together to bake. Though unable to join, I may still be able to offer some ideas.

Once had such a gathering among ex-colleagues. Decided on a common topic or baking scope. Example, maybe bake a sponge cake for the session. Each participant will do their own research and gather their own recipe to bake. At the same time, he will prepare for his own ingredients and tools required. List them down and add footnotes if a certain ingredient purchase may have balance for others to use. We than email each other for reference. Those who requires the balance ingredients or tools from other, will than inform each other and keep everyone posted. This way, you safe on too much materials being purchase, some stuff may be of limited use after the session. Of course this is made possible with smaller groups but in big groups than have to appoint a leader to do the necessary admin work.

on appointed date and time, each will take turn to bake their stuff while others watch, learn and give all kind of advices. I must add we had great fun than and many hilarious moments where things went wrong. The final products may be shared in an ending tasting session with coffee or tea. Or participants may even bring home some to show off their skills. Do note this requires almost a whole day of baking as we wait for one another to use the oven. 

Alternatively, from the baking group, each person will take turn to demo his favorite or most commonly baked item to the rest of the members.

Hope it will be a success and you guys have fun. 

On 30November, 2016 at 11:19 AM, -Ignored- said:

so good one, only selected few hve it!

by the way, the colouring is a tad too dark , isn't it? lighten it pls

Hi there -Ignored-,

thanks for the comment, I've been just way too busy baking and didn't have the time to login here.

Regarding the "colouring" you've mentioned...well I do not use any colouring, in my cakes.

I bake a Very Rich Traditional Fruit Cake, and not the commercial type generally seen in 

local bakeries.

I leave my cakes to mature for 6 months before serving...hence the Very Rich Dark

appearance...and the whole bottle of Brandy that goes into each cake....hehe.

This is what my family has baked for generations and also what all my customers want.

So unless someone places an order one day for a lighter cake, I wouldn't actually bake one.

I guess it is all a matter of finding the right Fruit Cake for your taste preference.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Cheers, Mike  ;-)

3 hours ago, mike_amk said:

Hi there -Ignored-,

thanks for the comment, I've been just way too busy baking and didn't have the time to login here.

Regarding the "colouring" you've mentioned...well I do not use any colouring, in my cakes.

I bake a Very Rich Traditional Fruit Cake, and not the commercial type generally seen in 

local bakeries.

I leave my cakes to mature for 6 months before serving...hence the Very Rich Dark

appearance...and the whole bottle of Brandy that goes into each cake....hehe.

This is what my family has baked for generations and also what all my customers want.

So unless someone places an order one day for a lighter cake, I wouldn't actually bake one.

I guess it is all a matter of finding the right Fruit Cake for your taste preference.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

Cheers, Mike  ;-)

Mike
do u wanna teach us how u do it ? or would that be a "secret recipe"?

On 13/12/2016 at 6:27 PM, -Ignored- said:

Unofficial: Why unoff? cos for me, I m never those obedient -go-by-the-book type, so long I can cook out a dish/a pastry ie fine, I m NOT going for masters for culinary or to bcome James oliver or going to Open a RA (restaurant Andre)
U get me?

Sorry didnt see ur messages. What kind of bakes would u wanna learn?

26 minutes ago, Boiboi15 said:

Sorry didnt see ur messages. What kind of bakes would u wanna learn?

Preferably something simple to start with, less equipment .... shortest possible time

eg the most is using just 1 mixer , bowls and whisk? would teaching scones , sound less complicated?

I realised baking cakes is rather long

I can offer my kitchen..to host a small group of bakers and experimental cooks.

Preferable date: Sun 1 Jan 2017 from 12 pm onwards...

Purpose: To learn from one another...I'm definitely not an instructor-of-sorts but willing to pick up tips from you guys.

Equipment I have: Induction cooker and convection oven, mixer and blender.

Cost: Your own material as I am just providing the space.

Rules: No sex, no bitching and no discrimination, yes be very colour-blind.

Interested party, please pm me.

Tefal OF4448 19L Optimo Oven

2 hours ago, abang said:

I can offer my kitchen..to host a small group of bakers and experimental cooks.

Preferable date: Sun 1 Jan 2017 from 12 pm onwards...

Purpose: To learn from one another...I'm definitely not an instructor-of-sorts but willing to pick up tips from you guys.

Equipment I have: Induction cooker and convection oven, mixer and blender.

Cost: Your own material as I am just providing the space.

Rules: No sex, no bitching and no discrimination, yes be very colour-blind.

Interested party, please pm me.

Tefal OF4448 19L Optimo Oven

Pineapple tarts!:D

13 minutes ago, kidster said:

http://www.boredpanda.com/mirror-cakes-ksenia-penkina

These cakes look really nice. Are they difficult to make?

definitely! glazing skills needed

Wait till learning the basic before moving on to fanciful..

unless u r very talented in this area, then it will not be a problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rawrzilla said:

So. This is cool hahaha

Eh Depending on what you wanna bake, I can probably teach. I hopeless at Chinese New Year Stuff tho.

@kidster I can probably teach you to the the mirror glaze cake. It's easier than it looks. It just takes a fair bit of time coz you have to freeze the cake for best results.

Way. Another professional Chef. Knows the process.