Male HQ

Vinyl Record Lovers

Creampie

5 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Happy LABOUR DAY holiday, y'all! 

Hope your long holiday weekend has been going well too...  Take care and stay cool & hydrated in our Hell-ish weather!  :P

Happy May Day Bro's!

I'm labouring over the rewiring of my HiFi System this weekend. 

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

As 2023 would have marked the 75th birthday of iconic artist Donna Summer this year’s Pride campaign will celebrate her legacy in style.  On June 2, UMG will be releasing a rainbow-themed picture vinyl featuring three of Donna’s timeless global hits. This is a limited edition run, with restrictions on the total quantity available.  (Selling fast with most sites sold too!)

Side A

• Love To Love You Baby (16:50)

Side B

• I Feel Love (06:46)
  • Hot Stuff (06:47)

spacer.png

On 5/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, steppenwolf said:

As 2023 would have marked the 75th birthday of iconic artist Donna Summer this year’s Pride campaign will celebrate her legacy in style.  On June 2, UMG will be releasing a rainbow-themed picture vinyl featuring three of Donna’s timeless global hits. This is a limited edition run, with restrictions on the total quantity available.  (Selling fast with most sites sold too!)

Side A

• Love To Love You Baby (16:50)

Side B

• I Feel Love (06:46)
  • Hot Stuff (06:47)

spacer.png

That's a truly beautiful vinyl!

Ive just ordered Taylor Swift's LPs since she switched to REPUBLIC label. : P

How quickly time has passed by.  It's coming to June soon.  2023 has zipped by so very quickly.

HOW ARE YOU GUYS DOING???  I Hope all is and has been going well for you guys!

Any travels plans for the 2H 2023?

Take care and stay cool + hydrated.

On 5/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, mike_amk said:

Happy May Day Bro's!

I'm labouring over the rewiring of my HiFi System this weekend. 

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

So, how has that gone, @mike_amkIs your system all set up and fully functional?

When could we have a LP listening social at your place?  : P

Hey, I think you guys must follow this thread 

I am following this thread, but I don't get notification when new entries are uploaded.  I wonder why.  I've signed up for notification,  but that doesn't seem to work.  Have you guys been experiencing the same issue OR is it just me???  :P

15 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

So, how has that gone, @mike_amkIs your system all set up and fully functional?

When could we have a LP listening social at your place?  : P

Hey bro,

It was a bit overwhelming... there were more cables than I remembered...lol !🤣🤣

So I ended up chucking out the older equipment that I no longer use, and put my NAD Integrated Amp on carousell, hope to find it a new home soon. And took out my DVD player with a 1Tb storage, and my Pioneer Tuner.

Made a few trips to the shops and got some new interconnects and other cables and plugs... now waiting for my CD player to be serviced. But strangely my power amp is now acting up... gosh... I've got to lug that 15kg millstone off for servicing!!

Anyway... I'm glad that the upgrading of my speakers went well, I managed to write in to the manufacturer in the UK to recommend a new driver, and the local Audio shop chap ordered it, and came over and installed it for me.    

So for now at least, I'm listening to music thru my new streamer... cant wait for the Turntable... and oops... I need to buy a phono-stage for my MC cartridge now... !  😜

20 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Hey, I think you guys must follow this thread 

I am following this thread, but I don't get notification when new entries are uploaded.  I wonder why.  I've signed up for notification,  but that doesn't seem to work.  Have you guys been experiencing the same issue OR is it just me???  :P

I'm following this thread and I do get the blue bell notification on the top right corner...

6 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

I'm following this thread and I do get the blue bell notification on the top right corner...

So, only when you're actively ON the app then?

If one is not, then no notification, even by email alert/ notification?

On 5/9/2023 at 10:53 PM, mike_amk said:

Hey bro,

So I ended up chucking out the older equipment that I no longer use, and put my NAD Integrated Amp on carousell, hope to find it a new home soon. And took out my DVD player with a 1Tb storage, and my Pioneer Tuner.

Made a few trips to the shops and got some new interconnects and other cables and plugs... now waiting for my CD player to be serviced. But strangely my power amp is now acting up... gosh... I've got to lug that 15kg millstone off for servicing!!

Anyway... I'm glad that the upgrading of my speakers went well, I managed to write in to the manufacturer in the UK to recommend a new driver, and the local Audio shop chap ordered it, and came over and installed it for me.    

So for now at least, I'm listening to music thru my new streamer... cant wait for the Turntable... and oops... I need to buy a phono-stage for my MC cartridge now... !  😜

Oh wow, that all sounds like an ordeal to me @mike_amk.  If I were you, I would have probably ditched everything and just not go through all the trouble fixing this and that ...  Waaaaahahahaha...  That's why you IS You and Me IS ME.

Well, we're all waiting for you to update us that is successfully connected and playing in one accord.

We hope to celebrate with you when THAT moment comes ...  Hopefully, soon!  :P

10 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

So, only when you're actively ON the app then?

If one is not, then no notification, even by email alert/ notification?

Is there an App version for this forum?  I only access the web-based one.  So whenever I come back to this site, and see the blue bell, that's the alert.

As for email notifications, I don't think I've activated that or is there one to begin with?

Thank God It's Friday and I've just placed an order for the following...

spacer.png

"A masterpiece of pop culture. A true milestone in pop history". Not our words but the words of Malcolm McLaren himself who reviewed favourably his debut album 'Duck Rock'. It may have seemed unfathomable but McLaren was highly influential in bringing hip-hop and World Music to a wider audience. 'Duck Rock' spawned two massive hits in 'Buffalo Gals' and 'Double Dutch' as well as influencing the likes of Herbie Hancock and Neneh Cherry. Here is a 40th-anniversary edition with a second disc of unreleased material. 

spacer.png 

A five-track promo of remixes distributed to DJs to complement the release of ‘Call A Wave’, the 1989 single credited to Malcolm McLaren And The Bootzilla Orchestra. The sought-after ‘DFC Dance Mix’, a classic of Balearic house, is backed up by four more ace reworkings, including by S’Express’s Mark Moore and famed producer William Orbit.

Any Malcolm McLaren fans here?

On 5/12/2023 at 9:28 AM, steppenwolf said:

Thank God It's Friday and I've just placed an order for the following...

spacer.png

"A masterpiece of pop culture. A true milestone in pop history". Not our words but the words of Malcolm McLaren himself who reviewed favourably his debut album 'Duck Rock'. It may have seemed unfathomable but McLaren was highly influential in bringing hip-hop and World Music to a wider audience. 'Duck Rock' spawned two massive hits in 'Buffalo Gals' and 'Double Dutch' as well as influencing the likes of Herbie Hancock and Neneh Cherry. Here is a 40th-anniversary edition with a second disc of unreleased material. 

spacer.png 

A five-track promo of remixes distributed to DJs to complement the release of ‘Call A Wave’, the 1989 single credited to Malcolm McLaren And The Bootzilla Orchestra. The sought-after ‘DFC Dance Mix’, a classic of Balearic house, is backed up by four more ace reworkings, including by S’Express’s Mark Moore and famed producer William Orbit.

Any Malcolm McLaren fans here?

Wow, you're in a buying spree mood, @steppenwolf  How many more LPs will you continue to buy?  : P

Happy Weekend! 

On 5/13/2023 at 10:15 PM, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Wow, you're in a buying spree mood, @steppenwolf  How many more LPs will you continue to buy?  : P

Happy Weekend! 

No lah, it's just co-incidental that my favourite artistes are releasing/re-releasing these all at the same time.

Btw I was at Zenn Audio over the weekend and picked up this pre-loved 12".  Any Madness fans here too?

• 2 weeks later...

Good Tuesday morning, Guys! Hope you all had a wonderful long holiday weekend ... Did anyone of you travel over the weekend or recently?

I have a confession ...  I'ma thoroughly vibing with Taylor Swift's MIDNIGHTS album ....  Waaaaahahahaha.

Love her songs from said album --- Lavender Haze, Maroon, Bejeweled, Karma, Question, etc.

Very EZ listening pop! :P

Have a great day and rest of the week ahead!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Are You Ready For It ???

#1.  So, I was able to get ahold of TS' Reputation (picture) LP; this LP has been hard to come by and I'ma glad I got it here in SG this week! 

2.  Then Hor, I somehow found TS' Red (Taylor's version) online in SG and I got it too!

It's been a good week cos I got to get these two hard-to-find LPs.  At least, from my experience lah ...  HEH HEH HEH ...

I'm gonna be hungover ... :P

1 hour ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Are You Ready For It ???

#1.  So, I was able to get ahold of TS' Reputation (picture) LP; this LP has been hard to come by and I'ma glad I got it here in SG this week! 

2.  Then Hor, I somehow found TS' Red (Taylor's version) online in SG and I got it too!

It's been a good week cos I got to get these two hard-to-find LPs.  At least, from my experience lah ...  HEH HEH HEH ...

I'm gonna be hungover ... :P

Where did you get them in Singapore?  From a store or a re-seller?

I bet this will be next?  Decided on that choice of colour yet?

image.thumb.jpeg.1069e3252a46ac59654c418fa36f511f.jpeg

Edited by steppenwolf

5 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Where did you get them in Singapore?  From a store or a re-seller?

I bet this will be next?  Decided on that choice of colour yet?

image.thumb.jpeg.1069e3252a46ac59654c418fa36f511f.jpeg

I got the two different LPs from Wow Accoustics and Retrophonic Record ...

LOL Haven't given much thought if I'd get the NEW Speak Now LP lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 10:53 PM, mike_amk said:

Hey bro,

Hey @mike_amk  how's your home sound system set-up going?  Any development/ updates??

Hi all, Happy Sunday.  How are you guys doing??

So, it's past middle of July and 1H 2023 is gone.  

Any notable vinyl purchases since the last few posts???

Since you've asked, this is the most expensive vinyl I've ever purchased in my lifetime, from two weeks ago in Tokyo...

https://www.discogs.com/release/1884030-Dead-Or-Alive-Rip-It-Up 

Edited by steppenwolf

4 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Since you've asked, this is the most expensive vinyl I've ever purchased in my lifetime, from two weeks ago in Tokyo...

https://www.discogs.com/release/1884030-Dead-Or-Alive-Rip-It-Up 

DOA.thumb.jpg.557e205d46157d00805062054a1ce805.jpg

😱. That's truly, really, definitely VERY expensive Sia!!!!  😮‍💨

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, 

How's it going... 

I've been preoccupied with stuff at home and have yet to go looking for a new turntable. 

Any lobang to recommend for a good deal on a tt.

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

• 2 months later...

I've just seen a web link to a hifi shop, Retrophonic at Duxton Road .

Think I'll head over there one of these days and look for a new phono-stage, as my new amp doesn't have a MC stage built in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, any of you been using a vacuum tube phono stage, care to share some info .

I've got an Audio Technica AT-OC9 moving coil cartridge,  that I need to match with a new phono amp.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Happy Holidays!  I hope you guys had an awesome long Christmas holiday weekend last week, and that you're enjoying year-end festivities to close out 2023 and getting ready to welcome 2024!

Take care and maybe all embark on a Fantastic LIFE Journey in the new year ahead, blessed with multiple NEW and Wonderful experiences ...

HugSZ! 💕 💕 😘 😘

On 12/6/2023 at 2:34 AM, mike_amk said:

Hey guys, any of you been using a vacuum tube phono stage, care to share some info .

I've got an Audio Technica AT-OC9 moving coil cartridge,  that I need to match with a new phono amp.

Heya Mike, how ya doing?  I hope you got a response from the numerous audiophile masters on here?

Apologies, due to work I'd not logged in here for a while.  Hope all is well ...

On 12/28/2023 at 10:47 AM, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Heya Mike, how ya doing?  I hope you got a response from the numerous audiophile masters on here?

Apologies, due to work I'd not logged in here for a while.  Hope all is well ...

Good Sunday morning and Happy NEW Year's Eve!

Whatcha guys doing tonight to reign in 2024??

Oh, one quick question, please:

Is it worthwhile to buy an "audiophile" CD player to hook up with my amp since I have a basic sound system set up for my vinyls?

If yes, which brand would you advise I get - Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha?  Best to get Made-in-Japan or ...?

Thank you much and have a GREAT DAY ahead!

@steppenwolf @mike_amk

5 hours ago, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Good Sunday morning and Happy NEW Year's Eve!

Whatcha guys doing tonight to reign in 2024??

Oh, one quick question, please:

Is it worthwhile to buy an "audiophile" CD player to hook up with my amp since I have a basic sound system set up for my vinyls?

If yes, which brand would you advise I get - Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha?  Best to get Made-in-Japan or ...?

Thank you much and have a GREAT DAY ahead!

@steppenwolf @mike_amk

Heya @SurpriseMEinHere, I'm not an audiophile myself.  So in my case, it's the other way round...

I've actually bought my turn-table to hook onto my existing Sony Theatre system, and using the Blu-ray disc player to play my CDs...  

Happy New Year in advance regardless and all the very best with your new adventures in 2024 (the above potential purchase included)!

Happy New Year guys!!

May the year ahead be filled with awesome Vinyl LP's and lovely music.

May our Audiophile Systems give us endless Aurally Orgasmic pleasure!!

Cheers 🥂 Mike 😉 

21 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Heya @SurpriseMEinHere, I'm not an audiophile myself.  So in my case, it's the other way round...

I've actually bought my turn-table to hook onto my existing Sony Theatre system, and using the Blu-ray disc player to play my CDs...  

Happy New Year in advance regardless and all the very best with your new adventures in 2024 (the above potential purchase included)!

Thanks for your reply to my question.

It's never crossed my mind to use my Blu-ray player to hook up to the sound system before ...  That's definitely an idea.  I'll go try it later today.

Thanks again!  : )

On 1/1/2024 at 12:06 PM, SurpriseMEinHere said:

Thanks for your reply to my question.

It's never crossed my mind to use my Blu-ray player to hook up to the sound system before ...  That's definitely an idea.  I'll go try it later today.

Thanks again!  : )

Yes, bluray players can play CD'S... I've used mine that way when my CD player conked out.

I'm rather happy to have my amplifier back from repair yesterday night.

I've spent the rest of the night cleaning and tidying up my Hi-Fi equipment and hooking up new cables that I've bought, and a new CD transport unit.

Finally at almost 3am, I sat down to listen to some music 🎶 🎵... awesome!! 🥂 

The next step is to buy a MC phono stage and connect my turntable to the system .

It is blooming expensive... a good one is gonna blow my budget by another 2k !

Yikes !!

Anyway one step at a time get the easy  bits done first.

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

14 hours ago, mike_amk said:

I'm rather happy to have my amplifier back from repair yesterday night.

I've spent the rest of the night cleaning and tidying up my Hi-Fi equipment and hooking up new cables that I've bought, and a new CD transport unit.

Finally at almost 3am, I sat down to listen to some music 🎶 🎵... awesome!! 🥂 

The next step is to buy a MC phono stage and connect my turntable to the system .

It is blooming expensive... a good one is gonna blow my budget by another 2k !

Yikes !!

Anyway one step at a time get the easy  bits done first.

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

Wow, that's awesome!  You're one DEDICATED audiophile, Mike!  : ))

Next in line would be to rewire my home theater system, and re-drill the wall mounts for all the speakers as I've gotten a new TV and the previous speaker positions are out of alignment for the new screen dimensions. 

Also, I've accidentally thrown away the calibration microphone for tuning my speakers... gosh... had to order a replacement from Japan,  and it will only arrive on the 20th !

It is gonna get real dusty in here... And I've got to install the soundproofing materials onto the walls,  as I can hear my neighbour which means they can hear my music too ...yikes! 

Looks like it will be a really busy January !

My back is gonna be aching like crazy, as I hate moving that blooming power-amplifier... it weighs a hefty 19kgs !! And my main speakers weigh around 22kgs each !!

I'll probably need to make an appointment with Ming to reset my back after all that. 👍 Cheers 🥂 😎 

1 hour ago, horchew said:

Can moldy vinyls be salvage? 

Yes surely it could.

I have LP's that are 60years old that I've inherited from my late relative, and I had it professionally cleaned,  and it plays well.. of course some clicks and pops are to be expected.

At the moment I'm getting my LP cleaner serviced... should have it back by end of the month and I'll begin to clean some of my collection.

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

18 hours ago, horchew said:

Can moldy vinyls be salvage? 

You can also clean them yourself and that's what I do whenever I acquired pre-loved vinyl records; with just enzyme solution, tap water and a record brush.  For the enzyme solution, prepare it by diluting it with tap water (1:15 ratio) and then bottle it up with a spray bottle with nozzle.  

As for the cleaning procedures, here're 7 simple steps:-

1. Gently "rinse" the record in slow running water from the tap on both sides, shake off the excess water and thereafter place it flat on a clean towel 
  2. While the record is still semi-wet, spray the diluted enzyme solution onto it, one side at a time - 3 squirts for 12" and 1-2 squirts for 7"
  3. Using a record brush (wet it first either with tap water or the bottled enzyme solution), gently clean the record in circular motion a few times
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the other side when one side is cleaned
  5. When both sides are cleaned, rinse the record again with running water and this time, use a separate clean towel thereafter to wipe off the excess water (I use a micro-fiber towel here)
  6. At this stage, the record may not be totally dry, so I'll leave it on a plate holder until the excess water is dripped off or evaporated over time
  7. Once your record is bone-dry, make sure you insert it into a fresh new inner sleeve before keeping it into the cardboard record sleeve

Voila, there you have it!  Anyway, there are a lot of YouTube videos demonstrating how you can clean your moldy vinyl records.  My way is definitely not the definitive way, but it has been working for me for years and it's very affordable too.

It may be manual work, repetitive and a chore too if you have many records to clean.  But then, once they are properly cleaned, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and pride with many hours of listening pleasure to come.

Happy cleaning!

Edited by steppenwolf

• 2 weeks later...

Something NEW in 2024 for active VINYL RECORDS group members to meet?

HEY All, Happy Sunday!

Although we may be the smallest active chat group on BW ... Would you guys be keen to meet up for makan/ drinks after CNY, in late-February/ early-March?

Yeh... that will be cool. 👍 

I've been trying to rewire my audio system... and it was a lot of heavy moving!

Wish I sent an sos for you guys to come over and give me a hand earlier. 

1 hour ago, mike_amk said:

Yeh... that will be cool. 👍 

I've been trying to rewire my audio system... and it was a lot of heavy moving!

Wish I sent an sos for you guys to come over and give me a hand earlier. 

Ah I see.  So, have you sent out your call for help then, @mike_amk?

Maybe, we could combine the assisted moving and gathering on the same day???  LOL

Move first, eat later?

Edited by SurpriseMEinHere