Male HQ

BW New Interface 2016 + Polls / Comments / Q&A

IkuTube

BW New Interface - 2016  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Share with us your thoughts.  However, do note that this thread is not about reporting the bugs.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

I like that the mobile version can now attached pic or files (although I have not used it but I saw the "pin" logo) on the mobile version without full version.

That's great.

Like someone pointed out, I need to scroll more.

The first glance on the page is, something seems to be missing but after re-visiting this new design a few more times, I feel more comfortable.

22 minutes ago, bluerunner said:

I like that the mobile version can now attached pic or files (although I have not used it but I saw the "pin" logo) on the mobile version without full version.

That's great.

Like someone pointed out, I need to scroll more.

The first glance on the page is, something seems to be missing but after re-visiting this new design a few more times, I feel more comfortable.

Other than the chat system, the mobile version is exactly similar to the full version. The current board is such that it is responsive to the resolution it is viewed in (this is capped for mobile version).

As for all the extra space, if you're browsing on desktop, zooming out to 90% may help. If you're on google chrome, hold down the left Ctrl button and hit the minus/hyphen key.

do we really need to have the member icons on the right bar - status updates and topics? seems like too many icons on the main page.

also harder to reply to status updates now... need to click on "replies" to reply? used to be able to just reply directly

Edited by wantonmee

@wantonmee I'm assuming you're on the desktop (full) version of BW. You can remove the status updates / topics feed by clicking on the grey/white arrow on the left of the webpage. It allows you to manage what is being shown on the current page you are viewing. You can do this anywhere to customise your own personal BW user interface, play around with the settings, there are tons of configurable settings lying around.

In order to reply to status updates directly, you'll need to create your custom activity feed for status updates. At the top of the webpage you will see the "Activity" tab. Hover your mouse over it and the tabs below it will change. Under "My Activity Streams", click on "Create New Stream". You may perhaps name the Stream Title as Status Updates. You will see a whole bunch of settings here. Under "Content Types", make sure it checks (ticks) the "Status Updates" box. Click "Save as new stream" right below.

You will be able to access this Status Updates stream under "My Activity Streams". Direct replies can be made here, it's a little troublesome... at least until we figure if it's possible to tweak the status update feed block on the main page.

@lean n mean There's currently a linkage issue with our chat system to the forum. @Bern should already be aware of this and am working on it. +)

@Larry Because there is a slight change between how the old and new forum parses video clips, you'll realise that posts with clips made prior upgrade are now broken or a mere URL. You can still attach a video clip to a post. You do this by simply copy and pasting the video clip's URL (for eg. 

) into the reply text box and hit the [Enter] key on your keyboard. The video should appear before you submit the reply. I feel that the extra space is so that each paragraph only needs one [Enter] worth of space apart. It looks pretty neat on my end.

Hope this helps.

Hey IkuTube, at first thinking of posting at the other thread Hendry created, but his title was modified to posting bugs there, so I thought of posting here - more on experiences of using the new interface and my own personal opinion eh... (warning: long post ahead, haha)

Functionality of the new site
(1) Full and mobile version (strength)
Currently the 2 versions have almost identical interface, this is a great improvement!

(2) Round profile picture (neutral)
The new profile picture has a round icon, which reminded me like using whatsapp/Line (and some others). I wonder if this necessary? However, it don't quite matter though, just a comment.

(3) Loading of pages in sub-forum (neutral)
The very old version of BW will load new pages by clicking page 2, 3, etc. and it was then changed to load more pages in the current page (by clicking "load more pages" or something). This new version went back to the over old version which only load page 1 and 2 separate than having it on the same page, which I thought is a step back, though not a very important thing to have, haha.

(4) Time (and date) stamp of the post (weakness)
The new site has used the new form of time stamp (seems like current ongoing trend for a lot of sites) is not as user-friendly as the previous one. This made searching the last read post more difficult. For example, if I last read a thread at 2.15pm and say, there were 20-30 posts between 2.05pm to 2.55pm, then I return at 9pm, all such posts would be tagged "7 hours ago" eh? I know if we do a mouse-over on "7 hours ago" (for laptop/PC only), it would display the actual date and time of that post, but wouldn't this be chore to do/check for each post? However, this could not be done on a mobile phone (hence more difficult to read). I wonder if it is feasible to have back the original date/time stamp?

(5) Multiple log-in on devices (weakness)
I noticed that when I log-in on my laptop first, then I use my phone to log-in, and later go back to laptop, the laptop one has sign-out automatically (and vice versa) - this new interface does not allow multiple log-in like the old? As sometimes I might leave the house for a short while and with the phone on the go, then back home that can surf at the same time, it is a good feature actually...

(6) Post number missing (weakness)
Previously, with the post number tagged with each post, we could use it to quote post(s) above instead of using the actual "quote" function, especially if the post is very long. I thought it was still useful to have, rather than removing it. In addition, we could also set a link (from other sub-forum) by copying the link of the post number, which was a great function, any possibility to bring this back?

I think that is all that was observed at the moment.

Suggestion
I think there were quite a number of new things being introduced in this upgrade. While I appreciate all the upgrades done so far, I was wondering if BW could introduced changes bit by biy (say mplement 2 or 3 changes) at one time, rather than changing so many things all at one go? So that we all have time to adapt? We would eventually catch up, but maybe (I'm not an IT guy, so I don't know eh, haha) it would be easier to manage any bugs in this case as there were not many things introduced at one time? Haha.

Edited by sphere

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

@sphere Negative, this upgrade is from IP Board v3.x to v4.x. The first numerical digit in versions represent how massive the update is, and this is one of them. I don't think it can be disassembled and updated in parts, unless it's from something say, v4.1 to v4.3, whereby we can launch v4.2 as a buffer. Also, only @HendryTan and @Bern are working on the techie stuff, I feel it'd be too taxing for them (schedule-wise) to launch multiple updates. Please thank them for their hard work!

As for some of your points,

(4) I think this can be tweaked by the admins.

(5) You should still stay logged in even if you swap devices. At least I'm not facing this issue on my end. Clear the cookies on your browsers and login on them. Make sure both or all have cookies enabled and that you checked the "Remember me" option during login.

(6) The post number is gone, but the link to the post is on the time stamp now. I highly recommend that you use the quote function though, they can be collapsed (minimised) now if you do not want to see them.

@EasleyLim Need to buy skin. There's a temp fix to this if you're running BW on Google Chrome, get this extension. Inverted colour/grayscale both works... at the same time both look just as trashy. But it's less straining on the eyes. +)

53 minutes ago, sphere said:

Hey IkuTube, at first thinking of posting at the other thread Hendry created, but his title was modified to posting bugs there, so I thought of posting here - more on experiences of using the new interface and my own personal opinion eh... (warning: long post ahead, haha)

Thank you, sphere. Indeed, any change is about re-learning and BW just have to evolve.  Trust me, I am also still learning here.  Haha.

Glyph has replied well to your valuable feedback.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

@Glyph I definitely appreciate what both of them had done eh, like I said, am not an IT person, so now that you explained, it's fine eh.   :)

Took note of the points for 4, 5 and 6. Thanks for your time too, appreciate it. 

Off course @IkuTube, will eventually figure it out, just need a little bit of time, haha.

Edited by sphere

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

22 minutes ago, ah_fung said:

For both topics and PM, they don't go to my last read, instead it's always to post #1. Pretty annoying I think...

I think you have to click the blue dot on the left side or something to make it go to last read.

Quite problematic, especially to niche users.

Especially the add-ons and other services deployed in this case, which is unfavorable to those who wants extra privacy.

Guess that they didn't prepare enough codes to prepare for older versions of phones and browsers.

Quite a few problem, even though it made things slightly more simpler and accessible.

1. Java - This add-on requires permissions and may irritate new users, especially Mozilla Firefox users. 

2. JavaScript - Known to be full of flaws, especially hackers and viruses can be used to make the script run on its own without your authorization.

It tracks users activity and perhaps makes privacy much more poorer for users, and very much for vulnerable to those who do not have anti-virus. Who knows, DDoS can come anytime and anywhere. Smell dem sandboxes. 

While there are other things to concern such as inconsistency and loopholes for various versions of the site.. it would be better if you access this site from a computer instead and not use your phone. =] 

Holy mama.

4 hours ago, Gray32 said:

Quite problematic, especially to niche users.

Especially the add-ons and other services deployed in this case, which is unfavorable to those who wants extra privacy.

Guess that they didn't prepare enough codes to prepare for older versions of phones and browsers.

Quite a few problem, even though it made things slightly more simpler and accessible.

1. Java - This add-on requires permissions and may irritate new users, especially Mozilla Firefox users. 

2. JavaScript - Known to be full of flaws, especially hackers and viruses can be used to make the script run on its own without your authorization.

It tracks users activity and perhaps makes privacy much more poorer for users, and very much for vulnerable to those who do not have anti-virus. Who knows, DDoS can come anytime and anywhere. Smell dem sandboxes. 

While there are other things to concern such as inconsistency and loopholes for various versions of the site.. it would be better if you access this site from a computer instead and not use your phone. =] 

I call you out.

1. JavaScript has been a de facto standard since several generations back. It is 2016, most websites you visit daily are relying heavily on some form of JavaScript or other. Yes, that includes your Facebook, YouTube, and Google.

Of course, it is true that JavaScript can be vulnerable, very much in the way that exploits for other software such as Flash, Java, shell, etc exist. What you are referring is known as XSS in technical jargon.

2. Earlier last year, our vendor launched a newer version and stopped supporting the older version that we were on. To keep up with the times, we made a choice to move on with them, which should prove to be the right decision in hindsight. From a security standpoint, this is also generally preferred over supporting legacy system.

Along with the upgrade came several security improvements and patches to the current system which should enhance the security and privacy of our readers. I am not a security expert, maybe you could enlighten me on the advice against browsing BW on a mobile phone. You can send me a pm if it contains sensitive information.

Cheers. Happy 2016!

Join the official BW Telegram Group Chat: https://bit.ly/frmbw

On 12/31/2015 at 1:24 AM, Steve5380 said:

When will my personal "Content" feature be enabled (it is grayed-out now)?

Will it have the content list that existed before the software update? 

It is a nuisance to search the threads one was active in from the main menu.

I'm not entirely sure what this "personal content" feature you're referring to, but here's the link to the content you have made on Steve5380.

https://www.blowingwind.io/forum/index.php?/profile/15753-steve5380/content/

6 hours ago, Glyph said:

I'm not entirely sure what this "personal content" feature you're referring to, but here's the link to the content you have made on Steve5380.

https://www.blowingwind.io/forum/index.php?/profile/15753-steve5380/content/

Glyph,

What I was referring to is the list of all the threads where I have posted in, from the newest to the older ones, with the threads that have new content that I have not read yet in bold.   I used to get this by clicking "Content" in the pull down list under my name.

Ah... and I am also missing the button to click to go to the first unread post in a thread.  Is there a way to do that that I'm not smart enough to realize?

Edited by Steve5380

oh I would like to comment on the ease of uploading pics to the forum, unlike the previous version which required us to load it up on a hosting site, I could now upload it immediately and what's more, through double clicking the pics, I am able to adjust the dimensions without going through the HTML mode.

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

@Steve5380 There's no longer a "Go to first unread post" button in a thread, but the first unread post is separated by a line divider from the last read post. Also, you are able to source out unread content via the Activity Stream. Most of the previous search function for content comes under this.

Quoted so pics are minimisable.

SS3_zpskdgfsupl.png

Inverted the colours so the line divider is significantly visible. (Also happens to be the way I browse BW...)

SS2_zps3njfpjza.png

Go to "Activity" - "My Activity Streams" - "Create New Stream"

SS1_zps8szltgul.png

You'll be directed to this. The settings here are configurable to what you intend the activity stream to show. In this case, I've changed the settings to match what you requested for.

It's also easier if you follow a particular thread of interest, that way you get notifications when new replies are being made to a thread. To do this, simply click on the "Follow this" button at the top right of a thread page, or toggle the "Notify me of replies" button when making a post. You may need to configure your notification settings to enable this feature, which can be reached via the menu of the Bell icon on the top right of the page under "Notification Settings".

@HotIce Indeed... however, the current page loader loads only the thread viewer; not an entire fresh page, and directs you to the top of the thread viewer each time you do this. In a sense, it's almost similar to the old "Load more threads" function, and if I may say so is a lot faster than the old version.

@Clickclock Unfortunately, attachments might be something that we'll be restricting soon...

All in all, I guess it's about adapting to the changes of the new platform. Most, if not all, of the changes weren't determined by us but the IP Board devs. Some of it may be tweaked... but I dare say most are here to stay. +\

13 minutes ago, fab said:

from here .....

..... click to read the latest posts first?

*fab, I don't think he meant new unread posts eh.

29 minutes ago, Frago said:

what happened to all the usual "HOT" threads?

If I'm not wrong, the 'star' on the left of the topic denotes 'HOT' threads, others would just be a round bullet.

1 minute ago, sphere said:

*fab, I don't think he meant new unread posts eh.

If I'm not wrong, the 'star' on the left of the topic denotes 'HOT' threads, others would just be a round bullet.

i wasnt answering to anyone, i was asking a new question.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Haha, ok, me mistaken.

You click either the bullet or the star on the left of the post, it will bring you to the unread one.

Edited by sphere

13 minutes ago, sphere said:

Haha, ok, me mistaken.

You click either the bulls or the star on the left of the post, it will bring you to the unread one.

Love u very much!

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Haha, no problem.

If you notice it carefully, there's a blue line drawn across to separate read and unread posts eh, haha.

1 hour ago, sphere said:

Haha, no problem.

If you notice it carefully, there's a blue line drawn across to separate read and unread posts eh, haha.

i see (the purpose of the blue line).

anyway, is the friends list no longer around?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

22 hours ago, Bern said:

I call you out.

1. JavaScript has been a de facto standard since several generations back. It is 2016, most websites you visit daily are relying heavily on some form of JavaScript or other. Yes, that includes your Facebook, YouTube, and Google.

Of course, it is true that JavaScript can be vulnerable, very much in the way that exploits for other software such as Flash, Java, shell, etc exist. What you are referring is known as XSS in technical jargon.

2. Earlier last year, our vendor launched a newer version and stopped supporting the older version that we were on. To keep up with the times, we made a choice to move on with them, which should prove to be the right decision in hindsight. From a security standpoint, this is also generally preferred over supporting legacy system.

Along with the upgrade came several security improvements and patches to the current system which should enhance the security and privacy of our readers. I am not a security expert, maybe you could enlighten me on the advice against browsing BW on a mobile phone. You can send me a pm if it contains sensitive information.

Cheers. Happy 2016!

Oh nonono, I mean the TS should stop attempting to access BW through mobile devices. I'm still a newbie at this, totally forgotten about the term XSS. Heh! But please don't let that ever happen :(

JavaScript flaw is more on sensitive information being captured, and can be leaked out. Not much of a problem. ;x 

Cross Site Scripting was the one that I was referring about. But I guess the description blurred up with Java Applet. 

Well Mozilla Firefox has blocked some of the features in this site, so I guess that's just for MFf, but I guess I'm fine with accessing this site with the ever ram-eating chrome or other browsers. Hahaha! Sorry for the confusion =x

Holy mama.

11 hours ago, Glyph said:

@Steve5380 There's no longer a "Go to first unread post" button in a thread, but the first unread post is separated by a line divider from the last read post. Also, you are able to source out unread content via the Activity Stream. Most of the previous search function for content comes under this.

@HotIce Indeed... however, the current page loader loads only the thread viewer; not an entire fresh page, and directs you to the top of the thread viewer each time you do this. In a sense, it's almost similar to the old "Load more threads" function, and if I may say so is a lot faster than the old version.

@Clickclock Unfortunately, attachments might be something that we'll be restricting soon...

All in all, I guess it's about adapting to the changes of the new platform. Most, if not all, of the changes weren't determined by us but the IP Board devs. Some of it may be tweaked... but I dare say most are here to stay. +\

Glyph,  thank you for your information.  The website is now much more powerful than I thought. 

I still want to remark on the former "Go to first unread post" button.  It was SO CONVENIENT to use as soon as the first page of a thread is displayed, and it lead immediately to the first unread post.  Now the divider line is a nice sign especially if we scroll up and down, but we have to search for it, that means going to the last page and scrolling until it appears.  The software already knows the location of the first unread post since it draws the divider there, so why not put again this button and have it jump to this unread post?  And even better, leave it there even if there are not unread posts so that it jumps the screen to the end of the thread. 

OH... my mistake!  'Sphere'  did give me the clue in his post above to how to get to the first unread post. Nice!

This new version is full of new mysteries :) 

Edited by Steve5380

SS_zpssrohrbaf.png

@Frago It's back up.

@Steve5380 As shown in the picture, clicking on the thread title (2) will link you to the first post in the thread, clicking on the date/time of last post (1) will link you to the last post in the thread, and clicking on the circle/star symbol on the left of the thread (3,4) will link you to the first unread post in the thread.

@fab The same applies to any activity streams as stated above.

Unfortunately, the "go to first unread post" link is no longer available within the thread itself, or at least I have yet to find it. I'm still familiarising myself with the new forum template as well so... yeah.

On 1/2/2016 at 7:07 AM, MancerNecro said:

I think the star symbol refers to threads that you have made posts in, not threads that are popular.

Is there a way to search for a member?

Previously, there's a tab for "Members" and you can do a search for his userid.  Now the only equivalent tab that exists is "Online Users" and "Staff".  In other words, you literally have to keep checking if a specific member is online before you can find him.

56 minutes ago, ckson said:

Is there a way to search for a member?

Previously, there's a tab for "Members" and you can do a search for his userid.  Now the only equivalent tab that exists is "Online Users" and "Staff".  In other words, you literally have to keep checking if a specific member is online before you can find him.

OK, I got this figured out ... Just click "Activity" Button right at the top, then "Search", and then "Member Search".

After reading the various useful tips posted here and playing around with the site, I now totally love this new upgrade.  Every tool useful in the old version is available here and the site is fast & responsive.  Its not easy pulling off such a major upgrade with virtually no kinks after just a couple of days but the BW team had done it! Well done!

Edited by ckson

• Guest pinned this topic
  • Bern unpinned this topic
  • Guest locked this topic