Male HQ

Swimming vs gymming

idkwhy

Go for Max cardio, ie. Jogging and swimming. Try those places with gym and swimming pool side by side. Have a half an hour run at the treadmill followed by half an hour worth of continuous swimming. After the swimming if your arms still have strength, do push ups and sit ups. Do this 3 times a week. 

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

If you are older or have injuries, swimming is good. But do supplement with some weight training. For lean fit, diet also very important.

10 hours ago, Xiaoxianrou said:

Go for Max cardio, ie. Jogging and swimming. Try those places with gym and swimming pool side by side. Have a half an hour run at the treadmill followed by half an hour worth of continuous swimming. After the swimming if your arms still have strength, do push ups and sit ups. Do this 3 times a week. 

Well I'm 27 lol, but I have tendinitis (probs cause I was a scout and did too much of climbing trees and marching etc.) so probably I can't go for long run/ jog but I would love to though. I don't swim and I don't know how to haha :doh: So I'm planning to take up swimming lessons next month lol.

I go swimming 4x per week and shed 3" off my waist. The core is worked a lot in swimming so my abs also become toned. Each time I swim about 2km, takes an hour plus. Only thing is I need bigger biceps to balance things up and swimming doesn't do much for that.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

I go swimming 4x per week and shed 3" off my waist. The core is worked a lot in swimming so my abs also become toned. Each time I swim about 2km, takes an hour plus. Only thing is I need bigger biceps to balance things up and swimming doesn't do much for that.

Thanks for the tips! I don't think I can do 4x per week but I'll try haha :P

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

each time 40 laps is not easy to start with

On 10/13/2016 at 0:37 AM, idkwhy said:

Hi guys~
I'm not sure whether to start gym or go swimming (or maybe running). I would just want a lean fit body, and I have this tummy that forever won't go away. :( 
What do you guys think? 

SEXY AF. 

On 10/13/2016 at 10:21 PM, idkwhy said:

Well I'm 27 lol, but I have tendinitis (probs cause I was a scout and did too much of climbing trees and marching etc.) so probably I can't go for long run/ jog but I would love to though. I don't swim and I don't know how to haha :doh: So I'm planning to take up swimming lessons next month lol.

Great that you are taking the effort. Just remember this throughout your training, same goes for everyone who comes up with excuses with training: "If you want something you've never had, then you got to do something which you've never done". Don't expect the good bod to magically appear. It comes with hardwork, it comes with discipline, it comes with blood and tears. Your body will show how much effort you put into it. Life is fair, you get what you deserve, more so when it comes to training.

Edited by xydboy

On 10/14/2016 at 10:31 PM, xydboy said:

Great that you are taking the effort. Just remember this throughout your training, same goes for everyone who comes up with excuses with training: "If you want something you've never had, then you got to do something which you've never done". Don't expect the good bod to magically appear. It comes with hardwork, it comes with discipline, it comes with blood and tears. Your body will show how much effort you put into it. Life is fair, you get what you deserve, more so when it comes to training.

Haha that was inspiring! Thank you :D

If your swim is relaxing, then you may not be getting enough of a workout. To force your body to burn fats, you really need to swim till you are out of breath. To start, alternate periods of fast swimming with short periods of relaxing swim.

Swimming and gym - quite a different kind of exercise.

Swimming is good, for all overall being. Less stressful on your knees, legs (especially if you compare to running). Try to do pull your strokes a little longer (meaning to say, less strokes to complete a lap). Also, if you are looking to train your lungs, do a 50m burst; guaranteed you to be breathless. I train for stamina -  longer strokes, but 4 strokes, 1 breathe in/out... This helps to complement better for my long run too.

As for gym -  It takes more commitment to that. It is a good form of exercise, but do not ignore the cardio portion. Sorry, but I have too many friends, who have very nice gym bodies, but did not train for their cardio.

Stay motivated! Do not bother to think too much about your body. One must feel good when he exercises. Keep going! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 10:21 PM, idkwhy said:

i want to take up swimming lessons too. where do you plan to?

I only swim, because its a sport you can engage for life even after arthritic changes in your joints lol. Swimming in the sea with fishes is an amazing experience too. :) My longest swim was 7km in the open waters.

Personally I avoid gyms because there are those muscle maries everywhere hogging the weights, showing off, and making loud unecessary noises.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:36 AM, Guest Guest said:

3 inches??! I gonna swim swim swim!!! thanks...

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:19 AM, Samezuka said:

I only swim, because its a sport you can engage for life even after arthritic changes in your joints lol. Swimming in the sea with fishes is an amazing experience too. :) My longest swim was 7km in the open waters.

wow!!!

u must be superb swimmer

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016/12/5 at 10:25 PM, Samezuka said:

I really enjoy swimming. Shame it isnt really popular here. Most are at the pool to cruise or tan lol.

Just get in the pool and do your own thing. If people cruise, let them be. If they cruise you, just say thanks but no thanks.

On another note, whilst you can get a good body from swimming, I read somewhere that you won't get ripped and shredded from swimming easily because your body learns to keep some fat to maintain buoyancy. Our bodies are amazing things that learn to adapt to environment very quickly. Point is, don't just do one form of exercise. Swimming can be your main workout, but spend some time in the gym, maybe 2x pw. If you can't afford a gym, do some calisthenics at the park or body weight exercises.

Just to add, if you look at Schooling, he's not ripped. Same with the Thorpedo. Even Phelps is not ripped by gym standards. True, you got Quah Zhengwen, but that's just cos he's a skinny lil' chinky boy.

Well perhaps OP might want to give gymming a shot if his only ultimate aim is to get ripped. I swim because I like water and it is something I enjoy, not for a ripped bod. 

Subscribed to one of those commercial gyms before, but I couldn't stand the muscular divas hogging all the weights and blatantly showing off themselves, with loud moans and all. Too superficial for me. 

Of course that is just my personal opinion.

I think you should go to doctors and ask them this question. Because they will check your health condition whether it is ok or not. If it meets the standard that you can do gym, do some light work-out so you should have an gym membership with personal trainer or group of people who have the same situation with you.

If not, you should do something more  natural like running, swimming and jogging. It is all sport and it helps a lot on keep fit.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.