Male HQ

Tokyo / Fukuoka / Sapporo (Japan ) - Massage / Sauna / Places To Visit (Compiled)

Guest 2727

To answer to ur question, it would be Yes. they are part of the 'gay society' i guess but the minority. Sometimes, just for fun, bars have crossdressing events but usually, PLUs in japan(at least tokyo) prefer PLUs who look straight. There are peps who like crossdressers too, maybe in some specailzed pubs. Correct me if i am wrong, u can find crossdressers easily at PLUs-cater cinemas, parks and esp. in asakusa 24kaikan.

Well, this was the first time I've been to Kaikans and I didn't see any crossdressers at asakusa, and my partner felt like she was not welcome, though it's only what I can tell from 15 min loitering around the place so definitely don't take my word for it. The place is full of ojiisan though, and one even grabbed me from my arm and wanted lead to his room while I was waiting for my partner. I kindly turned him down, but I think it's a heaven if you're into older men (I read the term 'archeologist' at some posts, is this the term for peps into older men ?)

Unfortunately my partner turned out to be a prostitute though. She keeps on complaining about how expensive crossdressing is and she needs more money and I should find 'rich' friends for three some and we should give her ichi-man per session. Too bad.

I found some PLU-cater video box and snack kind of place that CDs seem to frequent, so next I'm planning to visit these places. But I'm little bit worried about safety though cause these guys seem to enjoy to do it without condom, and god knows how many ppl they do it with everyday.

I kindly turned him down, but I think it's a heaven if you're into older men (I read the term 'archeologist' at some posts, is this the term for peps into older men ?)

Yes.

I found some PLU-cater video box and snack kind of place that CDs seem to frequent, so next I'm planning to visit these places. But I'm little bit worried about safety though cause these guys seem to enjoy to do it without condom, and god knows how many ppl they do it with everyday.

And Yes too, many dont use condoms.

Bart, i am curious about the 'PLU-cater video box'. Where do u find them? Thanks!

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

one of them is CKM, a video box in shin-nakano.

http://vbckm.h.fc2.com/info.html

a CD I've been writing to showed me this one.

another is Juno court. This is probably not a video box. I'm not sure what it is really but a meeting place for CDs and CD admirers.

http://juno-court.jp/

and finally rafflesia, a hatten bar.

http://jyosonhjyunohattenba-id.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

I've never been to these places though. just what I've found through surfin'.

Havent meet that taxi uncle for a long time and the other day, i had to take a cab back home so, i went to the same place to flag the taxi. This time the driver was non-PLU. We were on our way but was soon stopped by the traffic lights. I then noticed someone waving frantically in a cab that stopped beside ours. Guess who? it was none other then the taxi uncle i have met the other time. I waved back and he smiled. hahaha :rolleyes:

Another video box which i have visited in TYO is Gate-In. The website is: http://www.joinac.com/gatein/. A pity that it is in Japanese language. However, if you click on "Special Present" icon, you can print a discount voucher. The place is usually crowded in the evening and weekend. If you are into executive look Japanese men, this will be the place for you. Do note that this place is quite small and cramp. But it is an eye-opener for those who wants to explore the wild side of Tokyo.

• 3 weeks later...

Unraveling the scenes behind Japanese PLU bars

Some members asked me when I would continue writing on the saunas and bathhouses. Sad to say, I haven’t visited them for long long time (except for normal bathhouses)... In fact, if one would to track my earlier posts, he might have guessed that I preferred the bars. That is correct. I liked the bars so much that till now, I have accumulated close to 2yrs of moonlighting experiences at the bars from both Shinjuku (1/2yr) and Ueno (1&1/2). Though 2yrs is not a long time, the opportunity to work at the bar gave me a glimpse of the Japanese PLU bar culture. It is also source for information regarding PLU cruising places and more importantly, the bars are the places where I made some close friends. In the subsequent posts, I would like to share more about my knowledge on Japanese bars, hoping that it would benefit readers who are interested in Japanese bar culture, those that are frequenting the bars or those who are thinking of experiencing bars in Japan. There are bound to be differences between how bars operate in different countries. And there might be differences the bar u visit or how u view Japanese bar. Hence, if discussion/questions are brought about, it would be an additional bonus to all :)

Just to recap on certain views on bars in Japan:

a) Good place to practice conversational Japanese and learn Japanese songs.

b) Even if u don’t know Japanese there are places (though limited) which are more foreigners friendly.

c) Better place to find long-term partners/friends

d) Otherwise, bars can be considered ‘ley chey’ (maybe with the exception of fundoshi bars). Because, if one don’t know Japanese or if one is only looking for hot actions, why not head for the saunas, etc?

Thanks Andy. Looking forward to your always exciting insights.

Is it true that most Japanese gays r btms? because a friend told me and he told me to count the J pxxn where most are btms.

Thanks Jphilo.

A BW friend shared with me his friend's experiences too, mentioning that there are more Japanese btms. I heard of some stories when i frequented shinjuku that many japs that are btm. But let's be more skeptical and ask ourselves these questions: Do these (encounters/stories) represent the entire gay population in japan? How would u know if he is not a flexi or that he had changed to a top a day ago? And regarding the counts for J pxxn or whatever pxxn, we do see some of these actors who had been acting 'top' taking 'btm' roles too.

To actually answer ur question, i think that a survey on the Japanese gay population needs to be done. Even then, the population dynamics of Tops, btms, flexi, or none is kind of liquid- u might answer from a survey done on the majority of the Japanese gays today..yet, the proportion in the pie chart changes with time.

Tough Times and the PLU Bars operations

Yes, the PLU bars in japan are facing difficult times. Coz of the recent economic crisis? Nope, they have been sailing in the stormy seas since late 90s (economic recession?).

Every once in the while, i hear (in the bars), the old birds would say this:

'The good times are gone.'

'u wan to find good daddies? U should have been come to japan 20yrs ago.'

'Go back Singapore to find ur daddy' (LOL, the last comment was beside the point to me coz' find a japanese daddy is not my main priority, anyway)

But, is this true? Are the good times to hunt for Japanese PLU gone? And how do the bars cope with tough times?

I read this Taiwanese Blog frequently and there happened to be this article the blogger wrote about 'better quality of Japanese Pxxn actors in the past as compared to now' , which u may find interesting.

Taiwanese Gay Blog

To me the 'good times' are not gone. It's true that bars closed down coz of 'no business'. And i think its true that Japanese before the economic crisis in the late 90s had bigger spending capacity. However, if u are to pack up and say sayonara to Japanese PLUs, then u might be missing out quite alot. Actually there has been an increase in the number of bars in shimbashi, Ueno and asakusa.

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

Yesterday, I was drinking with some friends at shinjuku 2 chou me (havent step foot there for 1yr++ :blink: ). The renovation of underpass from Shinjuku JR station to 2 chou me has already been completed. Almost kana lost but finally reach the bar called Kinonaha

Its a bar which brings back many good memories.

I know the master since the bar opened a number of years back. I would rate the bar the number 1 bar among the young/old in shinjuku, not because of the friend btw us, but because the master has great personality, Plus he knows how to click with the customers. for instances, for first time customers, he gave a free drink, for part-timers with related bars he know, he gave us discounts, etc. These services were rare. Yap, he knows how to relate with his customer and establish a unique relationship with each of them. Hence, his bar, more often than not, is packed. When i entered the bar yesterday, it was almost 1/2 filled and within the next hour the place is 90% full. During these tough times, this is uncommon during weekdays.

This brings me to elaborate more on Management/Operations of PLU bars in japan.

Some terms to clarify:

Owner = the person who owns that bar/s... like landlord

Master = the person who operates the bar.. like manager (sometimes, the owner and master are the same person)

Staff = the people helping up at the bar, be it full time or part-time. (sometimes, the staff and master are couples)

What keeps business of the bar going? A number of factors are important:

1) Personality of the Master

How the master carries himself in front of the customer or within the PLU community is important. For e.g. if he is known to go to sauna or cruising ground, then mentally, most customers would deduct points off this master. Or he if he flirts/sleeps with his type every time (belittling directly/indirectly the presence of other customers), points are deducted. More points would be taken away if he does the above mentioned despite the fact that he is already attached.

The ability of the master to engage in conversation with various sorts of customers is also of vital importance. During the good days (i was told), even if the bar masters are not eloquent the bar still survives. coz in the past there are so many customers and merely serving the customers drinks would already keep the master busy from doing other things.

2) Events/activities of the bar

Sports/ onsen Trips / sakura viewing trips/ birthday celebration for regular customers / anniversary of the bar. These events built rapport with/among customers. E.g. there is one bar in shimbashi call Yukkuri (mentioned in the taiwanese blog). The bar has regular tennis sessions and also birthday party celebrations for their regulars. I was surprised that the master actually remembered my birthday and got a cake for me.

3) Others

Some bars are owned by the same person. E.g. in Ueno there are at least 3 main groups i.e. 3 owners who has a number of bars under them. The bars under them have different themes, respectively. e.g. one chub chaser, one mature chasers, one fundoshi bar. Another owner is a master of a bar in shimbashi and owns other bars at asakusa and ueno. I think its difficult for these bars to collapse during difficult times. If they are well-managed, the owner would still make profits.

Some bars diversify in their operations. Beside the night operation for PLUs, they open from noon for the general public. During that time they serve food, hence, it has become a lunch-time place. Two bars i know in ueno are taking this initiatives to widen their profit margins.

Country-themed bars is also an area unexplored. i.e. the master/owner of the bar is a foreigner. While there are many korea PLU bars, What about bars managed by foreigners?

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

• 2 weeks later...
Thinking of changing your nationality? Try Japan?

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20081205-00000050-jij-pol

Basically, its says that u no need DNA proofs, etc. As long as a japanese say u are his son/daughter, u can become a japanese.. :ph34r:

What a weird change in the Japanese law.

wow really? i think the online hunt for Jap daddies has just gotten a new meaning :P

on a serious note, Japan is facing declining birth rate and escalating grey population, maybe this is their way of drumming up younger population? (something like how our gahmen open the doors to ahem "foreign talents")

but andy, being in Japan for so long, is there any benefits to be a jap citizen?

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

errr. u get to F...K as many Japan as u like?

(Kidding) I dont know the exact benifits

But one thing for sure u need not renew visas.

Most peps staying in japan pay money to get medical fees 'discounts'.

U get pension (if u are a citizen) from the government after u retire if u pay the money (like CPF,etc) faithfully.

anyone knows abt benifits of being a jap_?

Just came back from TYO last week and I must say that it is indeed very cold in Tokyo. I can't imagine the weather as it approaches Jan/Feb where traditionally, it is the coldest months in Japan.

During this trip, went to 24 Kaikan in Ueno and Shinjuku. Just to update that I was not asked to present any passport or other identification. I guess the trick is to know the procedures well. Once you have purchased the ticket from the vending machine and present the shoe locker key to the staff together the ticket, you will have to write your name and address in the namelist at the counter. Basically, just write your Chinese name and the address in Chinese (e.g. Shinjuku). Then you will not be asked any further questions. Noticed that this is being practiced in Ueno and not in Shinjuku. In Shinjuku, they will just ask for your name.

Other than that, went to the infamous 500Yen cinema on Friday afternoon. Noticed that the crowd there has become more matured than before. Besides a few guys in their 30s and 40s, most are easily 50s and 60s. Activities are as usual appearing at the back of the theatre. The men there can be a little pushy and one insisted on unzipping my pants to take out my "little brother" to fondle. However, I was not that keen to have fun in the open area and politely decline and move to another part of the cinema.

In the evenings, I tend to spend time in the bars in Ueno, Shimbashi and Ikebukuro. I must say that among the few trips to the bars, this time round, it was quite enjoyable, having the company of both Singapore and Japanese friends there. Also, managed to speak to a some Japanese customers at the bars with my limited broken Japanese and English for some who can speak proficient Japanese.

My observations are that for men who usually go to the bars, they do not really frequent the saunas and vice versa. So if you want to have a wide catch, you probably have to visit both, haha....

Visited the sento at Asakusa and my friend was lucky to have a Japanese man who took a keen interest in him and they exchanged contacts. As for me, was not that lucky, but managed to get a nice soak in the hot spring water during the cold weather. After that, I was feeling like so lazy and sleepy.

Also, did the tourist thingie by visiting the Tokyo Observatory Tower at Roponggi. Was there at around 3.30pm and stayed till 6pm. As such, managed to catch the beautiful sunset and the night scene in Tokyo. There is also the roof top that you can go up to, for viewing of the open scene. Was nice, but freezing cold with the cold wind blowing straight in the space.

Despite the cold weather in Tokyo, it was indeed a very warm trip for me, having the opportunity to catch up with friends in Tokyo. Their hospitality given to me when I was there, put me to shame for the kind of effort that I put in when my friends are visiting me in Singapore.

Right now, I am back in Singapore. I don't miss the cold weather there, but I do miss the nice food, warm friendship, and scenery in Japan. Hope to be back to Japan real soon. Oh yes, I was questioned by the custom officer in Narita Airport (with a stern face) as to why I keep visiting Tokyo so often. I was so tempted to tell her that I miss 24-kaikan... <_<

Edited by gpfun

Its okie to let tell them this . they probably(90%) wouldnt know unless the are one of us. Otherwise, they are receptive to PLUs. :whistle:

Hmm.. I think better not. Later, I will kena a list of questions from them on what sort of place is that, and more thorough search. Will be embarassing when they open up my toiletries bags with a week supply of lube and condoms, haha...

During this trip, went to 24 Kaikan in Ueno and Shinjuku. Just to update that I was not asked to present any passport or other identification. I guess the trick is to know the procedures well. Once you have purchased the ticket from the vending machine and present the shoe locker key to the staff together the ticket, you will have to write your name and address in the namelist at the counter. Basically, just write your Chinese name and the address in Chinese (e.g. Shinjuku). Then you will not be asked any further questions. Noticed that this is being practiced in Ueno and not in Shinjuku. In Shinjuku, they will just ask for your name.

So the normal procedure is to:

(1) put the shoe in the shoe locker, with the shoe locker key

(2) buy the ticket at the ticket vending machine

(3) go to the counter and write down your name in chinese, and write down your address as "Shinjuku" in chinese

and they will not ask for your passport???

So the normal procedure is to:

(1) put the shoe in the shoe locker, with the shoe locker key

(2) buy the ticket at the ticket vending machine

(3) go to the counter and write down your name in chinese, and write down your address as "Shinjuku" in chinese

and they will not ask for your passport???

Yup, that's right! Do note that you will need to put 10Yen into the shoe locker to lock it and retrieve the key. As for address, u can write any Japanese address so long as you feel comfortable writing it in Chinese characters. Lastly, just act as Japanese, who dun like to converse much and you will be left pretty much alone and no passport will be asked for. Enjoy your stay there!

Hi Andy@Tokyo

Are you enjoying the snow in Tokyo now?

http://newsonjapan.com/html/newsdesk/article/70520.html

Central Tokyo has season's first snow

Central Tokyo received the season's first snow Friday, seven days later than average and seven days earlier than last year, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. A flurry was observed Friday morning in the capital's Otemachi area, according to the agency. Areas in Tokyo and vicinity may have more snow and could see the ground covered by snow later in the day due to a low atmospheric pressure system in the Pacific, it said.

(Kyodo, Jan 09)

Gp,

suppose to see snow, early in the morning.

I overslept today... by the time i woke up already 11am and it was raining..

cold is still my nemesis and i havent gotten used to winter till now. Wonder if those who had moved from a tropical country to stay in a temperate country feels the same-every single winter is a new experience to the word COLD.... u find it difficult to wake up in the morning. u wan to stay under the warm blankets and dont feel like getting out of bed. u do feel like undressing to take a bath.

Andy,

Having been in Tokyo in Dec, I can say that I dread doing anything except to slip into warm blanket and sleep. Was in 24 Kaikan, where it was cold there too. I headed for warm shower, then to sauna to heat myself up and then slip into those warm blanket.. Didnt have the mood to go "hunting" thereafter, haha..

But I must say that my first sight of snow in my whole life was in Tokyo a few years back after I left the bar in Ni-chome. I was so excited with the sight, but at the same time, it was freezing for me. Didnt stay too long out in the cold though. Not too sure if you share that sort of "excitement" as me seeing snow.

Guest just curious

Hi Andy,

Do Japanese behave differently during Winter? I mean do they finish work earlier and rush home cos its cold or do they work longer cos its warmer in the office? Also, do people frequent saunas, sentos and onsens more and stay longer cos they would enjoy the warmth there or do people frequent those places less cos it would be difficult to get there through the cold?

I suppose food is slightly changed too - more soups and noodles rather than sushi as sushi would be cold.

Thanks for info.

Hi -just curious-

Not too sure about winter. But if you encounter typhoon in Tokyo where the bullet trains are disrupted, chances are that the 24-kaikan will be packed with people. I was there in Aug and there was a day where there was typhoon, and raining cats and dogs in Tokyo. I went to 24-kaikan and stayed there overnite. Knew a Jap guy there who is staying out of Tokyo. He told me that the train services are disrupted, so he decided to stay there for the night.. I also noticed that during that night, 24 kaikan was quite packed with people!

Was there during winter, didn't notice any significant increase in people going to 24 kaikan, but I think more people would love to go to sento/onsen, as it is nice to soak into hot spring in the cold weather!

Just to add on to gp's reply

WIth regards to work, i dont see any differences. Food preferences, i would say yes. during winters nabe (like steamboat) are quite popular. sushi is also Ok.. for e.g. this is the season for oyster.

If u are talking about non-PLU saunas, i would say yes. so far, i havent heard of or visit PLU-only sentos or onsen, so i would also think people would make more trips to sentos and onsen.

For PLU-only saunas, in general, peps go there for different purposes. i would say that if the frequency u need to release ur load changes during winter then maybe the number of times u visit 24kaikan,etc would also change LOL :D

hummm the list goes on.. Overall, i think there are definitely some changes in behaviour during winter.

Memories at the Japanese Bar

His name was Fu-san and he was 63 years old. Every time when I go to the bar called ‘Moto’ I would find him or rather I would hear him laughing or cracking a joke with whoever was sitting beside him. Fu-san was a bar regular and despite his age, he was always full of energy and optimistic. Bringing along friends who clicked with him whenever possible, he would hop from bars to bars, drinking and marrying till late nights during weekends. He once treated me and a friend to another bar and there, he managed to show us the dick of the person sitting beside him.

A year ago, I stopped frequenting Moto coz I have to moonlight at another bar. But whenever I chanced upon him at Moto/other bars, he would request that I sing 美空ひばり (Misora hibari, a famous Japanese 演歌 singer) song for him. When I did, he would listen with his fullest attention, no matter how bad I sang. And when I finished, he would request for the next Hibari song.

Two weeks ago, a daddy (regular at both Moto and the bar I am part-timing) broke me the news- Fu-san has departed us two months ago. I saw tears fell when he told me and felt tears rolling down my cheeks.

Last week, when I visited Moto, I thought I heard Fu-san laughter.. I thought I saw him sitting among his friends sharing jokes and PLU-tales. I learnt from the

master that he had refused treatment for throat cancer, coz he would lose his voice in the process and that his death was quite sudden. The news wasn’t spread coz it was so saddening. His sunshine personality and kindness would always be in our hearts and memories.

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

Hi Andy

I am sure that Fu-san will always be around you providing you the listening ear and comfort. Take heart that he didnt have to suffer too much in the process.

I have seen cases of death around me lately and I am more aware of the fragility of life and learn to treasure the loved ones and friends around me more. I am always thankful that I have been receiving the support and care of loves ones and friends. Life is short. That's why I tend to take life easier now.

Guest just curious

Gpfun, Andy,

Sorry but another question please. Which part of town can I go to to have a look at fishing reels please? I mean I know where the sports area is - cant remember the name of the place but it is quite near Kudanshita but I dont think I saw fishing gear there. There are parts of town which are specialised but I dont know which part is for fishing gear. Can you help please? Many thanks.

I dont know if are any area/town/streets for fishing gears. but 上州屋 is a well-known company that specializes in fishing equipments.

They are all over japan. check the following LINK for the location of the shops in tokyo.

There is also a 2009 international fishing sports event in mid Feb. happening in Yokohama (1/2hr ~1hr away from tokyo) If u are interested check the following LINK2

Oshikurago Festival

Saw this article in a Japanese magazine and found this festival to be quite interesting and pretty similar to Dragon Boat Festival in Singapore/HK. Maybe will be a good idea to observe the festival given the opportunity.

The festival is held in Hagi City, Yamaguchi Prefecture on the first Sunday of June every year. Young men wearing Japanese towels around their heads and loincloths get on Japanese-style boats with five oars and devote themselves to a thrilling race.

002.jpg

003.jpg

Fugu- Anyone else tried?

-----------------------------------

Yesterday's News in japan. Today = Fugu posioning

Ironically, i had my first try of Fugu on Lunar New year's eve. Quite good.

Fugu sashimi (raw fugu) tasted like any other fish. If u steamed it, it tasted like chicken(?) but much more tender. I like it fried.

Also, with the food we had dried fugu gills soaked in Japanese sake. The gills gives a pleasant aroma to the sake... quite exotic.

Also do u know:

The license to cut and serve fugu is limited to the province. If one enter another province and wans to cut fugu, he would have to retake the test again.

Fugu- Anyone else tried?-

Tried fugu a few years back in Singapore (Inagiku @ Westin)...it was expensive, but maybe I do not know how to appreciate...it didn't taste too different from other sashimi. What I remmember is that the skin is kind of tough. Understand they also put it in porridge...maybe that should be nice and will make the porridge very sweet/fresh?

Thanks

Hi Andy,

This is a great thread. I'm tagging it so that I can follow up on your posts. Thanks.

Beef

p/s: secretly hoping to work in a bar someday too. Heading there in Apr. Should I check out any one bar in particular?

p/s/s: So sorry for Fu-san's passing.

Edited by beef4beef

"Life it too short to be small"

Sorry to hear about it Andy. I think it if I were to be in his state, I would also refuse treatment because the treatment may prolong one's life but the side-effects of the treatment is not a very pleasant one.

I think Fu-san would be glad to know that he has friends like u and those that had thought about and shed tears for him. Let's hope that he is in a better and happier place.

Thanks B4B and GM.

p/s: secretly hoping to work in a bar someday too. Heading there in Apr. Should I check out any one bar in particular?

B4B, There is a guide book on bars in japan and BWers coming to japan have started using the book. Although its all in japanese, its not difficult to understand. basically, there are maps which indicates the bar, the age range and types of patrons going to the bar. Could u PM OralB to check with him who is holding the book now, i.e. if u are keen to borrow it.

U could also PM me before u come and we can arrange to meet if possible. Then, i would be able to brief u on places to go (besides bar) over a coffee/meal.

P/s. let me know when u are coming? maybe, it overlaps with another BWer.. if so, we would meet up together.

yeah.. i also dont really know how to appreciate fugu..

sam64 if u got chance again, try the fried fugu (Fugu karage). i liked that best.

Every year there are 40cases (if i remembered correctly) of Fugu poisoning. and sometimes peps died coz of it. guess getting the licenses is not easy, hence the price of fugu is not cheap.

• G_M changed the title to Tokyo / Fukuoka / Sapporo (Japan ) - Massage / Sauna / Places To Visit (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.