Male HQ

Travelling Alone

Guest Guest Guest

13 hours ago, FattChoy said:

I wanna share my experience,  as it can help some of you.  

I'm in the midst of my HCMC vacation. 

---

The fortunate thing about my trip was the hostel owner - a lady and her family,  and she was THE-BEST host I couldn't even dream of.  She was so accommodating with my questions and gave me all the best recommendations.  I decided to extend my stay at her place from 2 to all 8 days. The weather has been sunny and fantastic and I had a blast in the first day. 

Thank you for your help.  I am planning to make my next trip to Saigon, towards the end of the year.  Can you tell me who was your THE-BEST host?

I will travel alone... of course.   I was always weary of Vietnam remembering its war with the US in my days.  But I hear very good things about HCMC.  I hope my agility is sufficiently good to cross the streets in this city,  and even if I like to walk for miles in unknown cities I might choose the inexpensive taxis.  I hear that the gay scene is good there,  a good complement to the abundant cultural and historic places to visit.

Edited by Steve5380

4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Dear Steve, 

This place is a real eye opener for me.  Hollywood has always portrayed the US Army as the good guys and the Viet Congs as cruel murderers.  There's a War Remnants Museum which I found absolutely interesting, whereby they Vietnamese portray them as freedom fighters against US aggressors.   I think you should go to HCMC for every reason that you mentioned.  I lived in China for more than a decade and I've never seen a place like this before. 

I'm not sure the host could help you as she speaks Mandarin, but her daughter speaks English.  PM me when you've made up your mind.  Try to go during the dry season.

Rating: I like this HCMC a lotttttt.  

PS: Utopia-asia website is of tremendous help to me here.

Edited by FattChoy

Guest 小熊叔

I like traveling alone for the freedom. Also, I tend to live dangerously when overseas, getting picked up by men in gay bars especially. I love the freedom of the gay bars where one can dance alone almost naked and almost drunk.

Once someone buys me a drink, the intention is very clear. He'll take me home for sex. It's dangerous to go with a complete stranger in a foreign country. So I'll tell him that I've told my friend about us on WhatsApp. He'll then know that whatever happened, it's easy to trace back to him.

Most of the ones I go home with are the ordinary people and usually quite poor especially the Brits in London and the Japanese with tiny flats. Like most gays, they are also lonely like me. So spending the night together is more for talking and getting to know fellow gays at home. Sometimes they'll ask me to stay with them for the few days and then take me round to non touristy places instead. We'll go supermarket to buy food to cook at home because he being single don't bother to cook much. We literally played married couple game of teasing for sex and impromptu sex everywhere and anywhere.

Actually, they don't normally bring local folks home for sex, also for safety reasons. But a benign looking Chinese uncle with a good bod seems quite safe to them. One thing I noticed, they all seemed to have been to Thailand before and an older Chinese male seems so different from the Thai boys whose sex is so artificial and condescending without much communications.

Whereas, us Singaporean gays usually don't bring people home for sex because we live with families.

9 hours ago, FattChoy said:

Dear Steve, 

This place is a real eye opener for me.  Hollywood has always portrayed the US Army as the good guys and the Viet Congs as cruel murderers.  There's a War Remnants Museum which I found absolutely interesting, whereby they Vietnamese portray them as freedom fighters against US aggressors.   I think you should go to HCMC for every reason that you mentioned.  I lived in China for more than a decade and I've never seen a place like this before. 

I'm not sure the host could help you as she speaks Mandarin, but her daughter speaks English.  PM me when you've made up your mind.  Try to go during the dry season.

don't you know after 45 years, those "freedom fighters" against US sent their children to US and have citizenship there? 

14 hours ago, FattChoy said:

Dear Steve, 

Thank you FattChoy.  I will PM you and get your advice when I have done more research.

I will love to see the War Remnants Museum, and I won't dispute that the US was the aggressor.  I have read about the incident in the Gulf of Tonkin.  My experience with Vietnamese has always been positive and I find them friendly.  I used to do some teaching at the local university and had many Vietnamese boys and girls in my class.  They were very dedicated, clannish and... some of the biggest cheaters!  I look forwards to have the same experience there as I have in Singapore:  plenty of my type of eye candy...:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Guest 小熊叔 said:

I like traveling alone for the freedom. Also, I tend to live dangerously when overseas, getting picked up by men in gay bars especially. I love the freedom of the gay bars where one can dance alone almost naked and almost drunk.

Once someone buys me a drink, the intention is very clear. He'll take me home for sex. It's dangerous to go with a complete stranger in a foreign country. So I'll tell him that I've told my friend about us on WhatsApp. He'll then know that whatever happened, it's easy to trace back to him.

Most of the ones I go home with are the ordinary people and usually quite poor especially the Brits in London and the Japanese with tiny flats. Like most gays, they are also lonely like me. So spending the night together is more for talking and getting to know fellow gays at home. Sometimes they'll ask me to stay with them for the few days and then take me round to non touristy places instead. We'll go supermarket to buy food to cook at home because he being single don't bother to cook much. We literally played married couple game of teasing for sex and impromptu sex everywhere and anywhere.

Actually, they don't normally bring local folks home for sex, also for safety reasons. But a benign looking Chinese uncle with a good bod seems quite safe to them. One thing I noticed, they all seemed to have been to Thailand before and an older Chinese male seems so different from the Thai boys whose sex is so artificial and condescending without much communications.

Whereas, us Singaporean gays usually don't bring people home for sex because we live with families.

Thank you for sharing. For some reason your post was really struck a chord with me. I like to have random fun as much as the next guy lol but it's also nice if it comes with these rare moments of intimacy that makes the experience memorable. It's like a little glimpse into someone else's life and wondering what could have been or just being at ease with where you are in life. Reminds me of the movie Before Sunrise and After Sunset which I find myself going back to every once in a while. 

"Ideas! Ideals! All this paper between us. What a weariness. 

If only people would meet in their very selves, without wanting to put
some idea over one another, or some ideal.

Damn all ideas and all ideals. Damn all the false stress, and the pins. 

I am I. Here am I. Where are you ?" 

maybe yes. most of them corrupt the money to send the children abroad. those children don't need to be smart, they will buy them properties later to stay there for good. 

if the north wanted freedom. just stay there. We the south didn't need that. 

Guest Guest
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:06 AM, Steve5380 said:

Stay calm.  It is good to be concerned and think about all the eventualities.  Also realize that most fears never materialize.  You have plenty of time before December to become an expert on Rome tourism.  Pack light, just for 10 days and nothing fancy.  One carry-on bag and a back pack perhaps.  Start making a check list of what you will take.  The cellphone and laptop should be the most expensive items to take with you. Research the means of transportation in the city, towards the places you want to visit.   Load map of Rome on your cellphone.  Uber does not work in Rome, and taxis are expensive.  Become expert in its public transportation, and plan to walk a lot.  Carry a copy of passport in your wallet, not the passport itself.  And a minimum of credit cards and cash.  Be friendly but don't trust anybody.  Remember the magic word "No". 

Packing light is not a good option. Been to Rome before in December and it can be freezing especially if its drizzling. Pack suficient clothings to keep yourself warm

And enjoy the freedom of travelling alone.  Treat it as an adventure  rather then a trip.

Guest Weather is luck
7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Packing light is not a good option. Been to Rome before in December and it can be freezing especially if its drizzling. Pack suficient clothings to keep yourself warm

And enjoy the freedom of travelling alone.  Treat it as an adventure  rather then a trip.

It does snow in Rome. Pic taken below in feb.

rome-snow-gty-ml-180226_4x3_992.jpg

The global weather has been out of wack for some time now. Currently it is “summer” in singapore, but it felt colder in the past few days than it did last dec, jan and feb.

Please remember to check Rome weather forecasts on the LAST DAY before you fly.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:53 PM, Guest Guest Guest said:

If u were to travel alone, where will u go? I'm kinda introvert and always wanted to try travelling alone. Most of the time i go on a holiday i'm always with my friends and such i've never been able to try out the gay scene in other country.

If u have travel alone, whats country would u recommend to visit? what have u done there and what was fun about that place ?

i have travelled alone to taiwan and japan. 

japan has a very well developed transport system, taiwan is because chinese everywhere, easy navigation and communication.

Guest Mischievous bf

I love travelling alone. But rarely hv such chance. As I hv been attaced for ages, so almost all the trips I took was with bf or our friends or with our families. 

The few times I got the chance to travel alone was when I went on company work trips. Once I also insisted on travel solo for a month to Europe in between my old and new job. 

Travelling alone is liberation. My bf is the type who plan nothing but expect everything being plan n done properly for him. The good thing is he doesn't care where we go or do. He will be happy as long as everything is well plan by me and he happily enjoy his time with me. But sometime I find it tiring to do all the planning and execute the plan. 

I had the best time during my 1 month solo trip to UK, France and Germany few years back. Haha that's also the time when I took the chance to hv some fun with people I met at sauna, pubs and even with my couch surfing host! 

Of course I did all those without bf knowing la. Also had some fun with some guys I met via Gay app when I had work trips. 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:06 AM, Steve5380 said:

Stay calm.  It is good to be concerned and think about all the eventualities.  Also realize that most fears never materialize.  You have plenty of time before December to become an expert on Rome tourism.  Pack light, just for 10 days and nothing fancy.  One carry-on bag and a back pack perhaps.  Start making a check list of what you will take.  The cellphone and laptop should be the most expensive items to take with you. Research the means of transportation in the city, towards the places you want to visit.   Load map of Rome on your cellphone.  Uber does not work in Rome, and taxis are expensive.  Become expert in its public transportation, and plan to walk a lot.  Carry a copy of passport in your wallet, not the passport itself.  And a minimum of credit cards and cash.  Be friendly but don't trust anybody.  Remember the magic word "No". 

Was in Rome recently and took Uber Black.  They were all limousines and drivers wore smart black jackets and ties.  They will wait for you standing by the side of the vehicle and open the car door for you.  And it wasn't all that expensive either.

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

I might add one more thing... if you plan to travel alone to a new, faraway city, you might find it useful to register online with MFA so that our whereabouts are at least tracked. I might even go as far as give my iPhone's IMEI number to my partner and family, just in case, so that my location can be tracked by the police in the worst case scenario.

Sorry this sounds so morbid... it shouldn't. It's an adventure!

5 minutes ago, kimlo777 said:

Was in Rome recently and took Uber Black.  They were all limousines and drivers wore smart black jackets and ties.  They will wait for you standing by the side of the vehicle and open the car door for you.  And it wasn't all that expensive either.

I would feel strange riding in limousines and have doors opened for me... unless the vehicles come with a nice Italian boy inside?  I rather have that than the opening of doors  :thumb:  

Guest Morbid indeed
3 minutes ago, Blogger Adam said:

I might add one more thing... if you plan to travel alone to a new, faraway city, you might find it useful to register online with MFA so that our whereabouts are at least tracked. I might even go as far as give my iPhone's IMEI number to my partner and family, just in case, so that my location can be tracked by the police in the worst case scenario.

Sorry this sounds so morbid... it shouldn't. It's an adventure!

Why do you want to be tracked? That's the morbid part. Unplug from the matrix already, Murphy's law is a spoiler.

Guest Resting bitch gay

Speaking of Rome. How many of your had encounters like in the movies in Rome? Roman holiday, under the tuscan sun kind of ideallic seredipitous chance encounter with local men. 

I had mine at the traffic junction pedestrian walkway between the colosseum and the biggest gladiator training school in the world, the Ludus Magnus, of All places. 

He was built like an ancient gladiator indeed, in office attire. Insisted to help me take a photo of myself and the colosseum when he saw my valiant attempt at selfies in front of the junction.

Five minutes later, when I raised my head from the menu stand of the Be Gay gastropub to look back at the location like from 50 metres away, he was still standing there and he flashed me a that disarming smile straight out of the film Notthinghill.

He proceeded to "stalk" me all the way to the gay gastro pub Be Gay I was at and got himself a table inside. The cute italian waitor was clever enough to sit me down at the table beside him. I was a little creeped out and overwhelmed by the attention, under the weather too for being thrown off my itinerary by a missed train ride and so unwittingly displayed that resting bitch face while pretending to be busy with my menu after I had ordered my food.

He turned out to be so shy and broken hearted too and proceeded to "small talk" with the hot waitor instead who also ignored him. Poor thing!

Very anti-climax for everyone. Blame me the unspontaneous, uptight bitch. First solo trip to Europe. Promised myself I will do better to be nicer to the locals, friendly old ladies and hot strangers notwithstanding.

No matter how horny you are, do not try to pick up someone when u r traveling alone because you dont know what you will be picking up....letting stranger to take photo is a big 'NO' unless you do not want to see your camera or phone again, if really have to, find families with kids will be a safer bet.

2 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

No matter how horny you are, do not try to pick up someone when u r traveling alone because you dont know what you will be picking up....letting stranger to take photo is a big 'NO' unless you do not want to see your camera or phone again, if really have to, find families with kids will be a safer bet.

Unfortunately I have to agree, especially in a place like Rome

Guest Pick up bonus
1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

The family with kids could be a romanian mock up syndicated set up too.

I have thought about the run away with camera thing but a cheap camera phone like mine hankered after by a strappling italian looking gentleman in shirt and tie in the middle of a tourist hotspot without some cover or getaway route seemed remote at that time. Unless i wasn’t aware a car is waiting at the BUSY traffic junction to scoop him up after i had passed him my phone. Highly unlikely also.

Speaking of horny, I have picked up a cute, preppy American Chinese office worker at an Amsterdam leather bar after a full day of sightseeing and museum tours. We were both available on our own and ridiculously within reach. Couldn’t resist and no reason not to? Hehe.

Guest shot
9 hours ago, Guest Resting bitch gay said:

Speaking of Rome. How many of your had encounters like in the movies in Rome? Roman holiday, under the tuscan sun kind of ideallic seredipitous chance encounter with local men. 

I had mine at the traffic junction pedestrian walkway between the colosseum and the biggest gladiator training school in the world, the Ludus Magnus, of All places. 

He was built like an ancient gladiator indeed, in office attire. Insisted to help me take a photo of myself and the colosseum when he saw my valiant attempt at selfies in front of the junction.

Five minutes later, when I raised my head from the menu stand of the Be Gay gastropub to look back at the location like from 50 metres away, he was still standing there and he flashed me a that disarming smile straight out of the film Notthinghill.

He proceeded to "stalk" me all the way to the gay gastro pub Be Gay I was at and got himself a table inside. The cute italian waitor was clever enough to sit me down at the table beside him. I was a little creeped out and overwhelmed by the attention, under the weather too for being thrown off my itinerary by a missed train ride and so unwittingly displayed that resting bitch face while pretending to be busy with my menu after I had ordered my food.

He turned out to be so shy and broken hearted too and proceeded to "small talk" with the hot waitor instead who also ignored him. Poor thing!

Very anti-climax for everyone. Blame me the unspontaneous, uptight bitch. First solo trip to Europe. Promised myself I will do better to be nicer to the locals, friendly old ladies and hot strangers notwithstanding.

lucky he didn't shoot you down like in one of those Mafia movies but I m sure you would have loved if he had shot into your face...

You can be lucky you can be without luck, I pretty sure he didn't need to overly stretch his gaydar after spotting you...

So sad he didn't call you by your name...

The problematic part starts when a lot of Mediterranean see Asians as submissive bottoms, but not all are...

Guest Rude
6 hours ago, Guest shot said:

lucky he didn't shoot you down like in one of those Mafia movies but I m sure you would have loved if he had shot into your face...

You can be lucky you can be without luck, I pretty sure he didn't need to overly stretch his gaydar after spotting you...

So sad he didn't call you by your name...

The problematic part starts when a lot of Mediterranean see Asians as submissive bottoms, but not all are...

This poster sounds like he is dripping with jealousy. Tough luck scoring? Heard of plastic surgery and formal education?

Guest Resting bitch gaze
On 6/9/2019 at 1:30 PM, Guest Resting bitch gay said:

Oops my bad, it was the Coming Out gastropub. Be Gay Chiringuito was the gay beach bar i had been to in Barcelona.

Guest Dirtily Professor
On June 7, 2019 at 9:41 PM, rome12 said:

maybe yes. most of them corrupt the money to send the children abroad. those children don't need to be smart, they will buy them properties later to stay there for good.

if the north wanted freedom. just stay there. We the south didn't need that.

I have to say there was right and wrong on both sides during the Vietnam War but the root cause was colonialism by France, who refused to grant independence after World War II, and were far too slow to realize that the time of colonists dominating other parts of the world was coming to an end. Some people in Vietnam had no problem with going back under French rule and hoping to gradually gain independence, while others were sick of the old ways, and became so desperate that they were susceptible to any idea they thought would help their cause. That paved the way for Communism, Ho Chi Minh, the Viet Cong, and Violence, but it's really a story that is still going on in many countries in other ways today.

As for the US, they were locked in a doctrinaire struggle with the Soviet Union (Russia), and had a policy that all Communism and all Communists were bad due to their experiences of the Cold War. They also believed in the so-called Domino Theory that if the Commies took over one country, they would grab another and then another, again based on the experience of what the Soviets (Russians) did in Eastern Europe after World War II. It wasn't completely wrong in Asia either, if you look at China, North Korea, North Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. US mistakes, of course, actually helped push Laos and Cambodia into the arms of the Pathet Lao and Khmer Rouge. Their intentions were good but their execution was awful.

When it comes to war, no party is nice. Cause if they're nice then it's a beauty pageant, not war.

But look at what the North Vietnam did to their people and American did to south Vietnam people during the war. 

"Freedom fighters"? Using kids, giving them guns, ask them to deliver bomb and weapon and say because they awaken Communism? 

How could they awaken a political thing at 10 years old? 

Not to mention, making up some fake young heroes as a good image for the kids. And taught them counting numbers by "killing American soldiers"

On June 13, 2019 at 4:42 AM, rome12 said:

When it comes to war, no party is nice. Cause if they're nice then it's a beauty pageant, not war. But look at what the North Vietnam did to their people and American did to south Vietnam people during the war. "Freedom fighters"? Using kids, giving them guns, ask them to deliver bomb and weapon and say because they awaken Communism? How could they awaken a political thing at 10 years old? Not to mention, making up some fake young heroes as a good image for the kids. And taught them counting numbers by "killing American soldiers."

I don't read his post as saying either side was nice ... but more like they started with good intentions and then became corrupted ... because that is what war does.

The North Vietnamese wanted to get rid of the French colonists ... while the Americans wanted to prevent Communism ... and both lost their way in the fog of war.

After the North Vietnamese got rid of France ... they demanded to control the entire country ... and the Americans stepped in to try to prevent their brutal methods.

Both sides continued to make worse decisions ... and adopted more brutal tactics ... because their egos demanded victory ... but in the end everybody were losers.

1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

This thread is about solo traveling and not about vietnam war, if both of you so interested to discuss vietnam war, maybe can ask GM to create a new thread called "vietnam war" Please continue to share any solo traveling experience.

I was actually the fifth person to comment about the Vietnam War after @FattChoy, @Steve5380, Guest Dirtily Professor, and @rome12, not the second, and I was simply following up on a post that looked to me like the reader misinterpreted something because I understood it differently, not out of a desire to engage in a fill blown discussion of a war that ended a quarter of a century before I was born.

It seems to me that the ideal time for such a comment would have been Thursday, after back to back comments about the war, rather than waiting until Sunday and trying to make one of the youngest commenters look like a bad guy for following up on things that were previously posted by others. This entire website needs to 'solo travel' away from the recent negative barrage against younger posters.

50 minutes ago, Guest 2000 said:

It seems to me that the ideal time for such a comment would have been Thursday, after back to back comments about the war, rather than waiting until Sunday and trying to make one of the youngest commenters look like a bad guy for following up on things that were previously posted by others. This entire website needs to 'solo travel' away from the recent negative barrage against younger posters.

Please disregard those negative posters who complain about everything and everyone.  They act like old folks who have nothing better to do than to vent their frustrations here.

Most of us we welcome young posters,  and I am one of them, even being a very old man  :)

40 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Ok, all the 5 persons please start a vietnam war thread, please respect the person who started this thread on discussion on solo traveling.

Ok,  all of you guy get the h. out of here with your negativity.  How can you think that a TRAVELER,  solo or elsewhere, will not run into many circumstances worth commenting,  be it the memorabilia about a war or a deer with five legs!   There have been more posts here about Rome than about Vietnam,  and if you are not interested in neither you should graciously skip these posts and post your own recollections of your trips without fighting with other posters.

On Tuesday, June 04, 2019 at 11:58 AM, Magenta_Lilies said:

A couple of months ago, I don't know what came over me. As soon as I've gotten my performance bonus, I surfed around online to see what are the popular destinations currently. Picked Rome, went on to an airline's website and booked a return flight for December, 10 days total. Booked an Airbnb right after that as well. The thing is, I'm very introverted and have never travelled alone. Definitely will be out of my comfort zone. Excited yet extremely nervous. Fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly! :)

So hows your planning going...any questions can just post here, i am sure those who have been to rome will be able to help u.

Edited by lonelyglobe

On Sunday, June 09, 2019 at 2:49 PM, auri said:

Unfortunately I have to agree, especially in a place like Rome

Actually not only rome but a lot of poorer countries like spain, turkey and greece need to be extra careful....and due to the easy connectivity by train, they can also move in and out a country very quickly and it is almost impossible to find back your stuff.

Guest Dirtily Professor
5 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

I don't read his post as saying either side was nice ... but more like they started with good intentions and then became corrupted ... because that is what war does. Both sides continued to make worse decisions ... and adopted more brutal tactics ... because their egos demanded victory ... but in the end everybody were losers.

That was the idea. And since FattChoy and Steve mentioned there is now a museum about the Vietnam War to visit, it isn't really too out of topic.

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Please disregard those negative posters who complain about everything and everyone.  They act like old folks who have nothing better to do than to vent their frustrations here.

After reading through this morning's posts, he was probably annoyed by the multiple and profane slander attacks in the Malaysia scandal thread.

10 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

So hows your planning going...any questions can just post here, i am sure those who have been to rome will be able to help u.

Honestly, I have not started at all! Will be starting tomorrow I guess. Don't really have a plan on how to go about planning but I'll figure it out eventually. :)

I am thrilled to see how helpful some members here are! Will definitely hit up some of you guys to aid me in my planning. You included, lonelyglobe! :)

1 hour ago, Magenta_Lilies said:

Honestly, I have not started at all! Will be starting tomorrow I guess. Don't really have a plan on how to go about planning but I'll figure it out eventually. :)

I am thrilled to see how helpful some members here are! Will definitely hit up some of you guys to aid me in my planning. You included, lonelyglobe! :)

I've done few solo trips to europe and asian cities. good thing about travelling is that you don't need to have a detailed plan. what i do for my solo trips is just make a list of things to do and places to go, taking note of the opening and closing hours. every night I'll just see what i feel like doing the next day. doesn't matter if I don't get to do alll the stuff in my list.

if you intend to travel out of the city, then you might need to plan ahead because of the transport. you can look at joining day tours. viator is a good website to book, and it has guided tour packages or just express tickets to choose from. for popular spots like vatican, colloseum, etc, should get at least express ticket to skip the queue. 

as with many major cities in europe, do be careful of pickpockets and cheats. i had caught a pick pocket (rather lucky that i caught her in the act) and these people do work in groups. so long my stuff are still intact i choose not to confront. 

3 hours ago, Magenta_Lilies said:

Sure why not? And i believe those who have been there recently would be able to help, my trip to rome was like 20 years ago ha....but i suppose some basic stuff will not change like most mueseum close on mon? Easy way to start is to google or go travel agency to get their tour itinerary for reference and plan your own, read up on travel guide books too. Planning is actually already the start of your trip.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, Traveler3032 said:

Rome is not a good destination for solo gay travellers. But you will get to see lots of historical stuff there. Be careful of thieves. For me, my preferred places as a solo gay traveller are: Rio, Barcelona, Amsterdam, and Berlin. Shanghai is fine too.

Barcelona and Rio are also notorious for pick-pockets and many patterns of thievery too. From bags being cut on La Ramblas, to subway robbings, I don't think they are all that safe for solo. I was always with my friend who is a girl, and we had to be somewhat cautious at all times, especially near favelas and out of the main cities. 

Even parts of London is not good to be out alone past certain hours. In London, it is a little bit more racially motivated though - even long time Londoners who are not white, (Asian, South Asian, Black etc) can be harassed from time to time, or if they are unlucky and run into unsavoury characters. 

I do agree on Amsterdam and Berlin though. Those are very safe cities. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

14 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Oh dear singaporean, this is considered mild warnings compared to other cities, and are basic common sense (which I realise is not very common at all!). Logically, more aggressive incidents will also be towards the dangerous areas, alleys, red light district etc . But major parts of the Amsterdam is ok. I felt safe there. 

For Barcelona, it is a mixed bag. Most parts are ok, but I think all tourist spots are fair game. As for Rio, even my Brazillian friend kena rob few times a year - brings true meaning to the words "Daylight Robbery"

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, tomcat said:

Oh dear singaporean, this is considered mild warnings compared to other cities, and are basic common sense (which I realise is not very common at all!). Logically, more aggressive incidents will also be towards the dangerous areas, alleys, red light district etc . But major parts of the Amsterdam is ok. I felt safe there. 

For Barcelona, it is a mixed bag. Most parts are ok, but I think all tourist spots are fair game. As for Rio, even my Brazillian friend kena rob few times a year - brings true meaning to the words "Daylight Robbery"

I guess the safety advisory stated in the Editor’s note saying that the information contained on the page was compiled using real traveler reviews about warnings and dangers in Amsterdam, really holds no comparison to your godly sanctions of the city. I humbly apologize to the city saviour! Pray! Say no bad things of AMSTERDAM!  ALL HAIL, TOMCAT!

5E6A.gif  

30 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I guess the safety advisory stated in the Editor’s note saying that the information contained on the page was compiled using real traveler reviews about warnings and dangers in Amsterdam, really holds no comparison to your godly sanctions of the city. I humbly apologize to the city saviour! Pray! Say no bad things of AMSTERDAM!  ALL HAIL, TOMCAT!

You are indeed a Singaporean through and through. Save your adoration for LKY - of which you have been perfectly manufactured for. Kena spoonfeed until cannot even consider alternate info without your robot head combusting. Sad leh. Luckily you are guest, not so throw face right? 

You know, how I know the warnings are mild? Because it is applicable to basically every country out there, haha. Even Malaysia KL's Petaling Street carry the same warning, same for night markets of Phnom Penh, and maybe even parts of NYC & London!

There are rough parts of town in every city out there, and the warnings can be cut and pasted for all of these cities - that's how generic they are. And that's what I responded on, not sure why it can become such a trigger, haha.

My own perception based on travel is that the more advanced European cities (Scandinavian, Netherlands etc) tend to be safer than others. IMHO, they are the safest out of the whole world to travel to. 

But hey, why trust my word? I am not your limpeh, dearly departed LKY.  Trust these statistics instead - conducted by Mercer, they do the yearly Quality of Living Ranking, of which Personal Safety is a major criteria.  https://mobilityexchange.mercer.com/Insights/article/Infographic-City-Personal-Safety-Ranking Amsterdam is in the top 15, amongst Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany & Canada. 

Once again, nothing personal.
That said, thank you for going through all the trouble of searching, relinking & uploading such a cute gif just for me.

I am so honoured! hahahah.

safety-at-4x-100.jpg?imageOpt=1&fit=boun

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

The above infographic is a bit misleading.....

"This year, Mercer also provides a separate ranking on personal safety, which analyses cities’ internal stability; crime levels; law enforcement; limitations on personal freedom; relationships with other countries and freedom of the press. “Personal safety is the cornerstone of stability in any city, without which business and talent cannot thrive,” it says."

That's why Singapore/HongKong/Taipei/Tokyo are not up there in terms of "personal safety"

Nordic cities are safe, yes, but questionable whether they are safer than some Asian cities

Guest Guest

So people who don't believe in LKY must all believe that Amsterdam is safe? People who believe in LKY must all think that Amsterdam is unsafe? 

C6UV3%2BA

OK lor... Let you win. No time to argue with old man. 

Guest pick pockets

Bugis has been famous for pickpockets.

Now with the rather changed design it might have got better.

In a country with controlled media, it is very easy to keep out things from the news.

Do we have any statistics about pick pockets and cheats happening in Singapore?

My expat customer just came to my office 2 days ago and told that his wallet was stolen on Orchard when he went for dinner to the shopping mall at Paragon.

Man arrested for alleged pickpocket attempt at AMK Hub taxi stand

Feb 16, 2019, 10:22 pm SGT

SINGAPORE -  A 51-year-old man was arrested for an alleged pickpocketing attempt at a taxi stand at AMK Hub on Thursday afternoon (Feb 14), the police said on Monday.

In videos sent to citizen journalism website Stomp on Friday, a man could be seen taking a wallet out of another man's pocket as they waited in line for a taxi.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/police-investigating-pickpocketing-attempt-at-amk-hub-taxi-stand

Singapore is the safest country in Asia. Violent crimes against tourists almost don’t exist. The top list of crimes in Singapore leads petty crimes, including pickpocketing. It does occur at the airport, areas frequently visited by tourists and public transport. The main area of concern for a newcomer is scams.

Police arrest gang who pickpocket shoppers along Orchard Road

23 December, 2017

SINGAPORE — The police have arrested three women who allegedly worked as a team to pickpocket unsuspecting shoppers along Orchard Road.

The victims in the three separate cases of theft reported that items such as wallets and a mobile phone were stolen from their bags at malls along the shopping belt on Thursday (Dec 21).

Guest pick pockets

Outsmart the pickpocket: How to travel safely

Oct 02, 2016

Travellers are easy prey for pickpockets, but being vigilant in a foreign land goes a long way to not losing your possessions

In 2012, on the first night of engineer Ng Chee Keong's holiday in Bangkok, when he was walking back to his hotel, someone approached him with a bag of keropok.

Mr Ng, 35, kept saying no. But the man persisted, continuously pushing the bag of prawn crackers towards him.

Just as suddenly as he began, the man stopped, hopped onto a motorcycle driven by a friend nearby and left.

It was then that Mr Ng realised his $1,088 iPhone 5, which he kept in his front pocket, was gone.

He says: "While pushing the bag onto me, the culprit picked my pocket. I didn't feel it because of the pressure from the bag."

He is among many Singaporeans who are victims of theft and pickpockets while travelling overseas.

Although figures are not available, travel companies say such incidents are rampant.

Common items stolen include mobile phones, passports, cameras, wallets and purses.

Ms Jane Chang, 34, head of marketing communications at Chan Brothers Travel, says: "Theft is one of the more common crimes faced by Singaporeans abroad.

"They happen everywhere - from America to Europe to Asia - especially around tourist areas, town squares, bustling shopping districts and crowded trains."

Cities in Spain, Italy and France are most frequently brought up as places where tourists need to be on their guard.

Tour companies have plenty of stories.

Last year, a Singaporean man, while trying on a shirt in a factory outlet store in Madrid, placed his bag on the floor next to the display shelves. Within seconds, the bag - containing his passport and cash - was gone.

In June this year, a Singaporean woman was queuing for tax refunds at Barcelona Airport. While looking at her documents, she left her sling bag unzipped. She soon found her passport and purse missing from her bag.

Ms Alicia Seah, 51, director of public relations and communications at Dynasty Travel, says that from her understanding, about 300 pickpocket incidents are reported in the city of Barcelona every day.

"Singaporeans can be easy prey for predatory pickpockets, especially because coming from Singapore, a 'safe haven', we can sometimes take safety for granted.

"We might leave our bag on the floor or on unoccupied seats - unattended - and it can be an easy target for theft."

The agents note that pickpockets sometimes operate in syndicates, with one person distracting the victim while another commits the crime.

Minors are sometimes involved in these syndicates as well, notes Ms Chang.

"Victims are generally not as suspicious of children. And when caught, minors also cannot be held by the authorities," she adds.

Her advice? Do not keep all your valuables in one place. Sling your crossbody pouch in front of you and stay away from strangers and crowded areas.

Thankfully, there are also careful - or just lucky - travellers who have never had anything stolen from them.

Mr David Chang, 64, who owns a textiles company, has been travelling three or four times annually for the last 30 years, but has never been a victim of theft.

This, he says, is because he is extremely careful with his valuables.

He keeps his passport in the hotel safe and carries a photocopy of the document to identify himself.

The trousers he wears have deep pockets and he carries a thick wallet that cannot be easily removed.

Only half of his cash goes into his wallet. The rest is spread out in other pockets.

"I don't let strangers come close to me and I don't entertain random requests to fill in surveys or take photos."

He adds: "When travelling, it is easy to throw caution to the wind, especially when you see something exciting. But because you are in a foreign country, it is important to be vigilant at all times."

Guarding against pickpockets

•Never leave belongings unattended. Even at a cafe or restaurant, keep things on your lap or wrap the bag strap around your leg. Do not leave your bag at the side of the chair or at your feet. Get into the habit of looking behind you whenever you get up to leave a place.

•Separate your sources of money. Keep credit cards or cash in different places, preferably not all in one wallet, and on yourself. This way, even if something gets stolen, you still have alternatives to fall back on.

• Do not keep your wallet or purse in your back pocket. Keep it in your front pocket or in a properly zipped bag.

• Sling your crossbody pouches in front so that they are constantly in view.

• Avoid wearing expensive jewellery and watches. Keep your camera in a bag when you are not using it. Displaying expensive items makes you a target for thieves.

• Stay away from strangers and crowded areas. Do not give money to beggars or people on the street - you will need to take your wallet or purse out to do so.

In case of an emergency

• Jot down essential emergency phone numbers, such as those of the local police and the international contact number of your bank in case you need to cancel your cards.

• Scan and photocopy all important documents, such as travel documents, passport, driver's licence, visa, credit/debit cards and ATM cards. Keep a hard copy and e-mail the soft copy to yourself and someone else. This way, your documents will not go missing even if your bags do. In the event you lose your cards, it will be easier to get them replaced if you have a copy in hand.

• Buy comprehensive travel insurance. For example, XX offers personal accident and travel inconvenience insurance coverage of up to $1 million when cardmembers buy air tickets with any XX Miles card.

• Carry at least two credit cards while travelling. Leave one card in the hotel's safe deposit box in case of an emergency.

• Notify your bank of your travel destination prior to each trip and adjust your credit card limit accordingly. Following which, you can set mobile alerts for a pre-determined transaction limit so you will be notified each time a transaction hits above the pre-set limit.

• Write down your bank account number so that you can withdraw cash if there is a local branch at your destination.

• Find out your bank's policies on the replacement of cards. For example, how soon can a credit/debit/ATM card be replaced? Can you collect the replacement card at a local branch?

• Register overseas travel with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to facilitate contact in case of an emergency.

If you are pickpocketed

If you are mugged, hand over your belongings and walk away. Cooperate with the assailant and do not try to do anything heroic. Your safety is most important.

If your credit/debit cards are stolen

Call the banks to cancel the stolen cards immediately to prevent transactions being made on the card. After that, file a police report at the closest police station.

For XX cards, the bank says a dispute form has to be filed if there are unauthorised transactions.

The disputed transactions will be investigated through the police report, dispute form and interview with the customer.

The bank will liaise with these parties to obtain more details and much of the investigation outcome will depend on the level of details provided by the police or customer.

Under normal circumstances, an investigation case involving stolen cards takes about seven working days to conclude.

If your passport is stolen

Make a police report in the foreign country and request a copy of the report or an acknowledgement slip or receipt.

If these are not available, get the report number, as well as the name and location of the police station.

Report the loss to the nearest Singapore overseas mission with the relevant supporting documents.

Under the Passports Act, the loss of a Singapore passport has to be reported within 14 days of the loss. Notwithstanding, it is strongly advised to report the loss immediately.

Collect a document of identity from the Singapore overseas mission, which will facilitate your return to Singapore.

Upon your return, apply for a replacement passport in person at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority building.

If your identity card is stolen A police report is required as you are a victim of crime.

You must also report the loss to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority and apply for a replacement in person.$4,000 charged to my stolen credit cards within an hour

$4,000 charged to my stolen credit cards within an hour

For two hours in Russia, I had no passport, no wallet and no credit cards.

I was pickpocketed in St Petersburg during a month-long trip from Istanbul to Dublin in April and May. And it ruined the whole trip.

On the morning of my second last day in the city, my travel companion and I had boarded a crowded public bus on our way to breakfast.

After paying with a bus pass, I slotted it into my travel pouch, which also contained my wallet and passport. I then slipped the pouch into my shoulder bag, zipped it up from front to back - leaving the zipper puller behind me - and slung it over my shoulder.

Mistake No. 1: I did not wear the travel pouch. Reason: Wearing it can be mildly uncomfortable because of its weight.

Mistake No. 2: I left the zipper puller behind me. Reason: I am lazy and it is just easier to zip the bag from front to back.

No surprise as to what happened next. As I stood, looking at my phone and deciding what delicious tart to eat for breakfast, a pickpocket unzipped my bag and removed my pouch.

I had no idea what had happened until I saw a bus conductor come onboard two stops later. I reached for my pouch and found it missing.

Immediately, I panicked. I looked around. The other passengers did not appear suspicious.

Who was the culprit? Was he or she still on the bus? I did not know.

In those first few seconds, I stood shocked, at a loss of what to do. But I knew I had to react. And quickly.

I alerted my travel companion, got off the bus and we ran back to our hostel for help.

My mobile phone - which, thankfully, was still with me - had a Russian SIM card which could not make calls to Singapore.

While running, a million thoughts raced through my head. I had no passport, no wallet, no credit cards - what was I going to do? Could I continue the trip? How would I get home?

Reaching the hostel, I immediately informed the Singapore embassy in Russia that my passport was lost.

My passport, I thought, was the most valuable item - news reports say a Singapore passport can command $30,000 to $50,000 on the black market - and should be reported first.

But while I was on the phone with the embassy, the pickpocket was apparently swiping my credit cards.

By the time I called the banks to cancel my cards, the culprit had already charged more than $4,000 to them - $3,000 at a grocery store and $1,000 at a beauty salon.

My third call was to the Russian police. They could not speak English, but a staff from my hostel helped me report the lost items.

An hour later, a policeman called, asking us to meet him in a police car below the hostel. He took my statement in the car.

After this was done, he opened his glove compartment and - to my surprise - took out my pouch and handed it to me. My wallet was gone but my passport was there. The thief apparently took the cash and charged my cards, but decided to leave the passport and pouch in a McDonald's outlet, where the staff handed it to the police.

I was lucky. If the thief had taken my passport, I would have had to cancel the rest of the trip and return to Singapore.

I had enough cash to continue my trip and I never felt so relieved in my life.

When I returned to Singapore, I entered into disputes with the banks which issued my credit cards and these took four months to resolve.

Thankfully, I did not have to pay for the unauthorised transactions.

The final damage? About $800 of long-distance phone calls to report the loss of my items, get them replaced and assist with investigations.

Although I have travel insurance, it does not cover phone calls for non-medical emergencies.

Looking back, the whole experience was a lot of trouble because of one moment's carelessness.

I have learnt my lesson. The next time I travel, I will make sure I wear my travel pouch at all times, however uncomfortable it is.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.