Male HQ

An Open Letter

Larry

I joined the forum as member on July 2008 as asked by 'G.M.'.

Focusing in Main Forum all the while, I made a maiden trip last Sunday to Members’ Lounge, with a 12 years interval. My objective was to look for a posting on Singapore COVID19, which was re-assigned from Main Forum to Members’ Lounge.

And I read a disturbing statement: On 5/10/2020 at 5:57 PM, Since u r here said: It became quieter after it shifted here!

Well, reference to the remark, we ought to ask a question, i.e. what kind of forum we want?

#1, 暮气沉沉 lifeless: overlook, coldly or equivocal replies such as ‘fine, no comment’ or

#2, 百花齐放 all flowers are in bloom: enthusiastic replies with innovative and interesting ideas.

The current predicament is very much related to 3 confusing factors, i.e. Politics, Trolling & Bickering.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What is politics? It is policies (simply saying activities) to govern a country. Whether the policies / activities benefit the citizens or not, can be debated by the opposition or interest groups, nothing to do with ‘Blowing Wind’.

Our prime minister likes to wear pink shirt, but so what? Can this be a subject? Sure, why not? But it would look silly to the questioner & subsequent responders. The policy maker academic competency, dressing, hair styles, linguistic ability & etc. though are non-political, but on personal preference & human right, we as gentleman should not get involved.

However, when a tricky news reporter asked about why no apology was given to the foreign workers, and the reply was that no worker had asked. Both the question & reply were non-political, but people felt that her response was insensitive, equivalent to a schoolgirl standard, short of IQ, EQ & humanity needed for a political leader. Remarks & criticisms from the public had flooded the cyber world, inclusive this forum.

“DO NOT discuss Politics in our forum”  as mentioned by G.M. dated 5/8/2020 at 1.00 PM.

Absolutely correct, I can understand his logic, i.e. we should not discuss any government policies. I concur wholeheartedly, cause any misstep can give us trouble, as we involve mainly on GLBT matters. Ban & snip away all political related topics at the bud. If you are not happy with GST increases or unhappy on circuit breaker policy, right? Join opposition & complain there, but not at this forum, caused these are all government policies.

So long as the contents have no relation to government policies, we should carry on the discussion, contents such as lack of IQ, EQ, impolite, harsh & disrespectful talks by any political leader should not have any restriction.

It is not easy, not any Tom, Dick & Harry can be a moderator. It is a tall order, alert, careful & sensitive are vital. Don’t kill the wrong bird but let go a wild dog too. But no choice, any blanket order would create a listless forum, whereas overlooking might reflect the consent & would create a havoc environment at a later stage.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

Next, what is TROLLING? It is about posting of inflammatory or controversial messages, as to create discord, quarrels or upset in an online community, in order to get a rise out of other users.

Since the consequence is to arouse angry / violent feeling, intense argument or disagreement, such contents should be closely monitored, however avoidance might not be good idea.

“Why want to bother about an idiotic troll…” & “…to justify troll's existence by replying…”

I begged to differ on his arguments. How to identify is a troll when it get posted? There is no way to ignore. People would read, might feel unhappy & reply. One example is on employing foreign workers & ignoring the low-income group. Yeah, such argument may cause anger among us, but how true? Would Singaporeans willing to do their jobs, answer honestly. It might work only for those lowly educated, poor family background, or influence by the communists & extremists.

Effective & strong rebuttal are the necessary tools, hit them hard & avoid taking the ostrich approach.

Not to worry on trolls, so long as no online instigation to create public nuisance, fight, killing or damage public facilities, it should be fine. Otherwise, call the police.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lastly Bickering, it is about quarrel on unimportant things. There are plenty examples as following:

#1. “Damn, that hawker has short-changed me 10 cents,”

So, report police & arrest him la, why so petty, your 10 cents like a bullock cart.

#2. Why you get more “likes” then me on social media?

Because I am prettier than you… Why jealous ha, mine breasts is bigger…

#3. Why you always winning every argument you get into?

#4. Why you are still virgin…?

“DO NOT bicker with Guest and justify their existence” as mentioned by G.M.

Heck, quarreling about unimportant things, real stupid? Unimportant things, gosh, too much free time & have nothing better to do? You want to say you saw a bird with 5 legs, I don’t care, let you win & so what?

There are plenty of bickers on unimportant things in the forum, just to attract attention. However, on their language proficiency, most likely are those Ah Beng & Ah Seng. Surely there would be questioners & responders. Sometimes we need some of the non-senses to have a good laugh & stress relief.

Dear GM, live & let live, a real world with all kind of people. Up to them, want to bicker, so be it. We should not stop them, let them show us how low their IQ.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My opinion: 

We shall keep this forum colorful, innovative, lively & as much participation as possible. I would like to end this posting by repeating the same statement, gives it a second thought: On 5/10/2020 at 5:57 PM, Since u r here said: It became quieter after it shifted here!

Also, another interesting phrase borrowed from Fab for us to ponder,

鍾意就好,理佢男定 never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want. 结缘不结不解

With Best Regards,

Edited by Larry

34 minutes ago, Larry said:

Sharing herewith a posting from my private message:

百花齐放 all flowers blooming,  海纳百川 all rivers run to the sea as we share & 百家争鸣 contention of a hundred schools of thought 

except all too often, that thread is taken over by some guy (who is now using two accounts, roll eyes) to post horrible looking "links".

where is the discussion?

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Sharing herewith a posting from my private message:

百花齐放 all flowers blooming,  海纳百川 all rivers run to the sea as we share & 百家争鸣 contention of a hundred schools of thought 

Honey,

you may care to not forget what the Hundred Flowers Exhort turned into.

There is simply not enough of a public foundation around here to support such a move by one website.

Appreciate all your efforts.  

Guest Guest
20 minutes ago, wilfgene said:

Honey,

There is simply not enough of a public foundation around here to support such a move by one website.

Darling, u need a website to support such a move of thinking independently and having your own point of views? 🙄

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, And then said:

except all too often, that thread is taken over by some guy (who is now using two accounts, roll eyes) to post horrible looking "links"

where is the discussion?

That horrible spammer, and chiding posters of posting fake news when he himself posted so many misleading articles, not to mention that rotten holier than thou tone he adopts to lecture others.

Clearly not all guest post are nuisance, but some members too.

4 hours ago, And then said:

except all too often, that thread is taken over by some guy (who is now using two accounts, roll eyes) to post horrible looking "links".

where is the discussion?

that thread: which thread, title of the thread?

taken over by some guy: who is the guy, name please?

using two accounts: what the names of the accounts?

Super confuse, like reading a spy story.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

That horrible spammer, and chiding posters of posting fake news when he himself posted so many misleading articles, not to mention that rotten holier than thou tone he adopts to lecture others.

A spammer is a person or organization that sends irrelevant or unsolicited messages over Internet, to large numbers of users, to advertise, phishing or spreading malware & etc. Who is that spammer?

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Clearly not all guest post are nuisance, but some members too.

Any examples?
Edited by Larry

Guest Hazily Instructor

Thank you for taking time to open this discussion, @Larry, but even some of the responses are rude already (including from some members). I think the biggest problem is that a certain troll (or handful of trolls) has tried to take over Blowing Wind using guest accounts to attack and try to silence members who post a lot such as @Nightingale, @Steve5380, and @upshot for example. Those members are then forced into arguments with the troll (trolls), and the moderators respond by throwing the entire original thread into the Flaming Room, rather than cutting out the poisonous posts because that is too time consuming.

The downside of this approach is that many good discussions are prematurely ended due to the actions of one troll (or a handful of trolls) which is unfair to the website at-large. We also have a problem lately with "Guest Harley" and "Guest Quinn" and "Guest AhBoy" and "Guest Six" and the like creating something like 10 new threads per day and pushing other discussions off the front page. Starting so many new threads does not make Blowing Wind more lively. It makes the site look haphazard, and causes good topics to disappear too quickly, especially when more than half of the new threads are uninteresting or repetitive.

This would be a better website, in my opinion, if the Members Lounge became the first forum listed ... and the current Main Forum was moved down to second ... and converted into a spot for annoying guests and people with questions. I think more members would participate in the discussions if they were in the Members Lounge and there were no nuisance distractions caused by malicious trolls. At the same time, there would still be a number two forum where guests could post without interrupting the primary discussions, and members could check in if they wish to do so. The current situation is pushing some posters away.

3 hours ago, wilfgene said:

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Darling, u need a website to support such a move of thinking independently and having your own point of views? 🙄

What is "Hundred Flowers Exhort"?

A public foundation to support such a move by one website: I believe you refer to 'Blowing Wind', but what is the move? And how the move relates to this open letter?

Appreciate all your efforts: What do I want from the effort?

Both gentlemen Guest & wilfgene postings are super phraseology. I failed to understand, please pardon my deficiency. Super 'deep', catch no ball'.

Edited by Larry

40 minutes ago, Guest Hazily Instructor said:

Thank you for taking time to open this discussion, @Larry, but even some of the responses are rude already (including from some members). I think the biggest problem is that a certain troll (or handful of trolls) has tried to take over Blowing Wind using guest accounts to attack and try to silence members who post a lot such as @Nightingale, @Steve5380, and @upshot for example. Those members are then forced into arguments with the troll (trolls), and the moderators respond by throwing the entire original thread into the Flaming Room, rather than cutting out the poisonous posts because that is too time consuming.

The downside of this approach is that many good discussions are prematurely ended due to the actions of one troll (or a handful of trolls) which is unfair to the website at-large. We also have a problem lately with "Guest Harley" and "Guest Quinn" and "Guest AhBoy" and "Guest Six" and the like creating something like 10 new threads per day and pushing other discussions off the front page. Starting so many new threads does not make Blowing Wind more lively. It makes the site look haphazard, and causes good topics to disappear too quickly, especially when more than half of the new threads are uninteresting or repetitive.

This would be a better website, in my opinion, if the Members Lounge became the first forum listed ... and the current Main Forum was moved down to second ... and converted into a spot for annoying guests and people with questions. I think more members would participate in the discussions if they were in the Members Lounge and there were no nuisance distractions caused by malicious trolls. At the same time, there would still be a number two forum where guests could post without interrupting the primary discussions, and members could check in if they wish to do so. The current situation is pushing some posters away.

Perfect, perfect, perfect. Hopefully the moderators catch this posting.

My counter proposal: redefine Main Forum for members only, and replace Members' Lounge to Guests' Lounge.

We need you as member.

Edited by Larry

1 hour ago, Guest Hazily Instructor said:

We also have a problem lately with "Guest Harley" and "Guest Quinn" and "Guest AhBoy" and "Guest Six" and the like creating something like 10 new threads per day and pushing other discussions off the front page. Starting so many new threads does not make Blowing Wind more lively. It makes the site look haphazard, and causes good topics to disappear too quickly, especially when more than half of the new threads are uninteresting or repetitive.

I did a counting on page 1 of this forum, 28 out of the 46 slots available for posting are initiated by guests, approximately taking up 60% overall.

Guest Ah Girl
6 minutes ago, Larry said:

I did a counting on page 1 of this forum, 28 out of the 46 slots available for posting are initiated by guests, approximately taking up 60% overall.

Auntie Larry,  can I call you auntie because I am a little girl here.

You should  never count the number of guests in the 46 slots.  Instead, you should be counting the number of sensible topics out of the 46 slots.  Not all members are perfect and niether are "Guests" imperfect.

1 hour ago, Guest Ah Girl said:

You should  never count the number of guests in the 46 slots.  Instead, you should be counting the number of sensible topics out of the 46 slots.  Not all members are perfect and niether are "Guests" imperfect.

I can say all topics are perfectly sensible for the titles & from the start. However, we cannot guarantee all contents for the topic are completely upright all the while, as time passed by, new comers with ill intentions might come in & pollute the contents. 

Do you have a method to evaluate the sensibility of the 28 topics, please enlighten us.

Yeah, not all members are perfect but can be traced, unlike the guests plainly disappear & return with a new identity.

Will you agree, my young sister?

Guest Caught Telling Lies

Guest Hazily Instructor is correct that perhaps reorganizing the order and content of the forums might help turn Blowing Wind into a better place, and even moreso after @Larry was targeted by a disgusting troll last weekend.

I know it may seem ironic for me to suggest this set of ideas while posting as a guest, but I have no desire to have my member name trolled by a crazy and demented creep such as what has been happening to @Kimochi recently, as well as the attacks inflicted on @benedict5856, @FluteGuan, @Nightingale@Since u r here, @Steve5380, and many other members over the past few years, who mostly did nothing to invite such vitriol. Once the problem is solved, I won’t waste my time posting as a guest, and neither will the vast majority of any members on Blowing Wind.

The website moderators like have repeatedly explained over the years that guests are allowed to post, at least one reason anyway, to welcome in newcomers who will eventually become members. This is fine and I initially joined that way myself. But there are clearly one or two guests that have no intention of ever becoming members, or perhaps were banned because of causing trouble as members in the past, who are now using Blowing Wind as their personal canvas to troll members, type racist or xenophobic insults, create stupid topics, and dredge up dead threads.

A good website can’t continue indefinitely with a vicious guest (or guests) constantly causing trouble with the members. The last year and a half on Blowing Wind have been unbearable at times and something needs to be done before this place loses more of its seemingly shrinking usership. Sending threads to the Flaming Room does nothing to punish the trolling guests because that is what they want in many cases, after robbing members of interesting topics to discuss, which are then replaced with multiple stupid threads created at 4:00 AM by an insane insomniac.

GUEST CTL’S PROPOSED SOLUTIONS

• Convert the current Members Lounge into a Members Only Main Forum.
  • Convert the current Main Forum into a Newcomers & Guests Lounge.
  • Move the new Members Only Main Forum to first on the menu and the new Newcomers & Guests Lounge to second on the menu.
  • Move all currently existing threads which have reached at least two pages into the new Members Only Main Forum.

Under this proposal, guests and newcomers who want to try out Blowing Wind are still allowed to post without hurting the good discussions taking place between members. I am sure members will still check out the contents of the Newcomers & Guests Lounge and offer advice to any curious newcomers if their posts are deemed to be sincere. This also means less work for the moderators, after the changeover, because they would not need to constantly deal with trolling guests derailing threads and causing them to need to move posts into the Flaming Room.

One train of thought is probably that the current Members Lounge is not generating enough discusssion but, in my opinion, that is because the current Members Lounge is second on the list and the bulk of new and old topics are posted in the current Main Forum. If this were to change, and a new Members Only Main Forum becomes the top offering on the menu as well as home to the majority of the past discussions, it would quickly become the hub of activity. More members would also take part in the discussions because they would not need to worry about trolls.

For members who have expressed a desire to get rid of guests, or been targeted by trolls in the past, such as @upshot@singalion, @Garyl, @fab, @doncoin, and so on, now is your time to speak up. Do you agree that my proposal is a reasonable compromise which still allows open access via a Newcomers & Guests Lounge, but also helps cut down on the disruptions that keep derailing discussions, which everyone often complains about? Express yourselves to help the moderators understand what a frustrating experience reading Blowing Wind has become lately.

Moderating is not easy, of course, and we should be glad that @Bern, @G_M, @HendryTan, and the entire crew spend time volunteering their efforts to maintain this community, but solutions to the troll issue are needed.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

The Straits Times is not gay, and Channel News Asia is not gay, so I don't care what they do. This is a very important discussion, so I hope it can be conducted with civility, and without flaming. We all need to face the fact that over the past 1½-to-2-years, the discourse on this website has gotten worse and worse, with no end in sight. Most members and most guests behave themselves, most of the time, and help this website serve a positive role. But there are a few who don't and this has been a problem for quite some time. In fact, my guest screen name for this post is a tribute to another guest, who tried in an unfortunately misguided way to bring attention to these issues last year. Something needs to change.

Of course there will be certain guests who demand unfiltered access with no changes since that benefits them. But that might no longer benefit the website in general and this is what needs to be determined. To be honest, I think the suggestions on changing the order of the forums mulled above by Larry, Hazily Instructor, and Caught Telling Lies make a lot of sense, even if it's a bit of work for the moderators to rename forums and move existing threads from one forum to another. Once that initial work is done, however, my guess is that Blowing Wind would continue to be just fine. And for those worrying about access, guests would still have full access to the Guest Room and the Flaming Room, so no problem.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Caught Telling Lies said:

A good website can’t continue indefinitely with a vicious guest (or guests) constantly causing trouble with the members.

Yeah  .... right .... a "good" website can’t continue indefinitely with a vicious guest (or guests) constantly causing trouble with the members... Examples of good websites including "Fridae" and "Trevvy"? In fact, come to think of it, BW might have outlasted those highly sanitized websites as BW came about even before those websites started...

For members who have expressed a desire to get rid of guests, or been targeted by trolls in the past, such as @upshot@singalion, @Garyl, @fab, @doncoin, and so on, now is your time to speak up.

Hahahahaha ... so funny to see Guest Disclosed Yourself trying to rally for support here .... almost like some kiddo trying to get people to elect him into Student Council .. 

I know it may seem ironic for me to suggest this set of ideas while posting as a guest, but I have no desire to have my member name trolled

Yeah ....the IRONY indeed ..... LOL! Wanna control Trolls, yet turned out to be troll yourself. Thank you for showing us why the Guest function is sooooo important! LOL! 

irony GIF

This topic is almost 100% a troll-bait. Talk so much about wanting control Guest here and there, but still don't want to start it in the Member's Zone, and members go sign in as Guest themselves too.... hahahahahaha 

Guest Overdosed Yourself
12 minutes ago, Nightingale said:

This has nothing to do with sexual orientation.  Whether gay or straight, as long as it is a forum platform, all should be treated with due respect and courtesy.  Years and years ago, there was this British gentleman member, who was trolled so badly that he never appears again.  If he were to continue his posts, we could learn more about things happening in Britain or share his knowledge about other countries.

That is exactly my point, just from a different perspective, as Blowing Wind is supposed to be a safe space -- but certain trolls are going out of their way to destroy that safety -- which is a terrible thing for the community. Right now, posting on Blowing Wind can sometimes be just as hazardous as posting on homophobic sites like Hardware Zone, except that the attacks are vicious and catty rather than ignorant and homophobic. We need to find a way to turn Blowing Wind into a safe space for this community again, where people can communicate freely and express themselves, without being abused by mentally unbalanced trolls harbouring bad intentions. If that means changing -- not eliminating but changing -- how much guests can access the website, that's fine with me, because the current situation is no longer working for anybody except trolls looking to cause damage.

Thank you @Larry for starting this open letter.   It is bringing out some positive ideas.  

I want to remark here that in my opinion this site stands as an excellent value, and not only for gay issues.

This is why I post here from over 6000 miles away,  and not only because I like Singapore gays.

I realize that this site is full of intelligent, competent people who happen to be gay, and I am learning in this environment.

There is value in contrasts.  The bright sunlight during the day, the obscurity at night.  The warmth in summer, the cold in winter (anywhere away from the equator). The enjoyment of happiness and health, the suffering of depression and sickness.  Contrasts bring attention to what is good, what is bad,  what we want to be, what we should avoid or change.

I have benefited from the fighting, bickering, trolling.  I already had learned to be assertive, and here I apply this a lot.  I am increasing the "thickness of my skin".  Attacks that would have disturbed me in the past now fly by like a swirl of bad smell, and one holds the breath for a moment until it passes.  In reality, the stronger the attack,  the more creative one becomes in finding an appropriate answer.  I am sure that I am not the only one who benefits in this way.  When we look back, many of us remember being a vulnerable gay, too shy, too inhibited,  someone we now would like to coach to be stronger.

I like the idea of having the main forum for members, and have a separate forum for newcomers and guests.  Guests could replicate some threads from the main forum in the second one to add their comments if they feel their opinions are important, and if this is the case, then both guests and members take on the discussion in this second forum without moderators having to make the change. This should reduce disruptions.  And about all the negatives mentioned,  we can reflect and extract also some positives from them.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Princess of Narnia
11 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I like the idea of having the main forum for members, and have a separate forum for newcomers and guests.  Guests could replicate some threads from the main forum in the second one to add their comments if they feel their opinions are important, 

I strongly disagree.

Duplicity took up spaces, created confusion and eventually rendered members irrelevant.  In your view,  it was like keeping two sets of DVD - one set is the original cast, the other side is the original cast with extension and rendered the formal set irrelevant.  Curently, the main forum is run like a DVD with extension and all the bonus bloopers behind the scene included.   

I believe we can all be nicer and kinder to one another instead of attacking. Take the time to read and process what someone shares/posts, and try to see things from their point of view. You can disagree but it does not mean that you are completely right or they are completely wrong. More importantly, be respectful that everyone has different opinions that are shaped by their environment and life experiences. 

We need to take responsibility for our own actions. Check ourselves first before going off. This is something we all have to practice. Be better listeners or in the case here, be better readers and learn to think before we speak/post.

I think the different opinions is what makes this forum fun and engaging. Granted, we can all do without the trolling and nastiness that some have used as a way to express their views, nonetheless, it is their prerogative which I respect. I personally disagree strongly on the way they expressed themselves, but I can live with it because to me, it is more important that their voice be heard however negative it is. I can manage my own responses and feeling to what they say, but that is all I can do. 

Do not let negative people, especially those who do not know you affect you. Their words mean nothing. They are nothing to you. Focus your energies on the people you love and care. The rest can fuck off :) 

Love. 

It would be better to use registered members account and not guest to comment anymore, currently in this forum it is more risky or even dangerous to reply or to post anything if you atre a registered, hence the forum will really be quiet and be dominated by guest posts and rants. Its the "era of the guests" right now, they will not be punished if they initiate any of the three mentioned by @Larry. Hence also registered members will use guest accounts to hide and then post anonymously . Plus the moderators has no time to screen, we registered members hence will just follow and just be quiet, this is what we can only do. I think the purpose of why we have the forum was to engage with PLUs however in this day and age, why are we still hiding under guest names even if we are registered members, afraid of opposing ideas, fearful of dissent and still for more than a decade we still are pushed to the side and just made silent.

I'm really turned-on if both heads (the head above and the head below) are both functioning well

https://asianguysgonewild.newtumbl.com

https://linktr.ee/riverrobles  

WQPofyr.jpg

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

I like the idea of having the main forum for members, and have a separate forum for newcomers and guests.  Guests could replicate some threads from the main forum in the second one to add their comments if they feel their opinions are important, and if this is the case, then both guests and members take on the discussion in this second forum without moderators having to make the change.

And then you’ll end up having annoying spammers who can’t stop spamming the same annoying links on not just one thread but on multiple threads with their multiple accounts and liking their own post.

1 hour ago, Guest Princess of Narnia said:

I strongly disagree.

Duplicity took up spaces, created confusion and eventually rendered members irrelevant.  In your view,  it was like keeping two sets of DVD - one set is the original cast, the other side is the original cast with extension and rendered the formal set irrelevant.  Curently, the main forum is run like a DVD with extension and all the bonus bloopers behind the scene included.   

You are right in that duplicity takes up space and our time to read.  But it is an inevitable side effect of our modern living.  I lose so much storage space in backups.  Not only I keep them on my computer, but I keep 3 backups remotely, 2 in my house and 1 in my safety box at the bank.  I also suffer the irritation of duplicity in the news I watch online and on TV.  So I don't have expectations of finding BW free of duplicity.  What I find helps is to get on BW with the idea that one is taking a break from other relevant activities. 

Duplicity, redundancy is also inevitable given the fact that there is a continuous renovation of BW with new members.  We old ones have discussed topics in threads that end up closed. New members come up with new threads that are not much different than the old ones. 

And responding to your concern,  guest could replicate threads in the main forum IN NAME, without copying them, and continue expanding from there.  This has some duplicating cost, but it satisfies two objectives: having members and guests mixed in discussions, and having conversations free of interfering guests.

33 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

And then you’ll end up having annoying spammers who can’t stop spamming the same annoying links on not just one thread but on multiple threads with their multiple accounts and liking their own post.

Well, this is what we have now anyway,  with much duplication in threads with different names, different TSs.   

But YOU could help reduce the problem, no? 

Guest Guest
6 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Well, this is what we have now anyway,  with much duplication in threads with different names, different TSs.   

But YOU could help reduce the problem, no? 

By praying? I don’t think that works.

Guest Hazily Instructor
6 hours ago, Guest Caught Telling Lies said:

GUEST CTL’S PROPOSED SOLUTIONS

• Convert the current Members Lounge into a Members Only Main Forum.
  • Convert the current Main Forum into a Newcomers & Guests Lounge.
  • Move the new Members Only Main Forum to first on the menu and the new Newcomers & Guests Lounge to second on the menu.
  • Move all currently existing threads which have reached at least two pages into the new Members Only Main Forum.

You have now been "caught telling truths" because that is basically what I think should happen and your forum name suggestions are probably better than mine as well.

13 hours ago, Guest Hazily Instructor said:

Well to be candid,  its why I seldom come in much now to participate or give my opinion or perspective. Very draining and I rather deal with those who want to discuss things or advice with me honestly and without poison via DM or outside in gmail. What is written here is always drown-out in some manner. Waste of time really.... if i can do it in some other more productive manner, I would prefer it as ech time I come back in as a follow up to a thread I see at times too much noise. To say I would like thread for only all member... I can give my personal feeling on it but it is never my place to press for it.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

to me, it's simple.. just come inside this forum, just select whatever thread i want to read, don't comment, don't get involved..  no point commenting or anything.. if not being accused of "arm twisting" . "bickering", "doxxing", "talking bad about the politics & the politicians".. etc.. the policing of this forum is way off.. so instead..of fighting back with these empty vessels in here.. just read, understand, don't comment, don't react.

no point coming in here to pick fights, because the LGBTQ already have their internal fights.. and like what i used to say.. the bigger the tree, it will attract the unwarranted wind. 

just sit back & let the "tree" become the next trevvy.com

Edited by Zackling

All i can say is that, this forum is getting more & more tasteless when it comes to certan topics.. and in fact most topics in the forum are way too superficial to go even read, be involved & to be commented on.. too time wasting & energy consuming too.

And there're way too many superficial characters in this forum esp those comes in here as Guests..

8 minutes ago, upshot said:

Well to be candid,  its why I seldom come in much now to participate or give my opinion or perspective. Very draining and I rather deal with those who want to discuss things or advice with me honestly and without poison via DM or outside in gmail. What is wriotten here is always drown out in some why. Waste of time really.

It is your perfect right to look down at the participation in BW,  and your opinion should be respected like any other. 

A "feel good" forum should concern itself with motherhood issues and have everyone agree with each other in harmony and love.

A "discussion forum" should have civility as its golden rule.  Beyond this, everything that is not bitching and attacking is fair game.  If there is no anger, opposing ideas and contradictions stimulate the brain, exercise our intelligence and expand our knowledge. This will happen less if everything is congeniality, agreement, forced restraint.  A wise person is willing to change his opinions, his beliefs, even his "principles".  There can be competition in a discussion forum like there is in sports, if the participants have good sportsmanship. This is an acquired trait that separates children from more mature adults.  BW is not a forum for children.

4 minutes ago, single42 said:

All i can say is that, this forum is getting more & more tasteless when it comes to certan topics.. and in fact most topics in the forum are way too superficial to go even read, be involved & to be commented on.. too time wasting & energy consuming too.

And there're way too many superficial characters in this forum esp those comes in here as Guests..

I have the same feeling when I come in the morning (your evening) and see a bunch of new threads that are not worth a second thought.  Like "what did you do right today", or so on.

And then in contrast I have started some threads with intellectually challenging content, that languished and sank to the bottom.

Maybe what can help here is to respond to these dumb threads,  in good spirit and with a lot of humor,  and twist them around into a related topic that has some essence. Given that then one may get bashed by drifting "out of topic",  but it is easy to recover from that.

Guest Hazily Instructor

It would also help if members and non-troublesome guests ignored the proliferation of new threads created overnight by the time-wasting guest (or guests), and went to page two to post in the interesting topics that were unfairly pushed off page one, thus returning them to page one where they should have been all along. If there is anybody that I care about "what they did right today" then I will send them a text message to find out. In this forum, that is not why I am reading, and certainly not why I am responding.

When I suggested that BW should have a dark mode, GM said it's too expensive to add a few lines of codes.  Usually forums have options like 'Hide Thread'.  I also paiseh to suggest to him.  If BW is a ship, it feels like we're on a 16th century Pirates of the Caribbean wooden ship.  Creaking along...

6 minutes ago, Nightingale said:

Like the "Is it a must to . . . ." series.   :frustrated:

LOL!   There are plenty of examples. 

5 hours ago, Guest Hazily Instructor said:

It would also help if members and non-troublesome guests ignored the proliferation of new threads created overnight by the time-wasting guest (or guests), and went to page two to post in the interesting topics that were unfairly pushed off page one, thus returning them to page one where they should have been all along. If there is anybody that I care about "what they did right today" then I will send them a text message to find out. In this forum, that is not why I am reading, and certainly not why I am responding.

You have a good idea.  I have done this a couple of times, bringing back threads from long time ago to avoid them being closed.

I will follow your idea,  and bring back to page 1 those recent threads that I find are worth more attention. :) 

On 5/15/2020 at 7:10 PM, FattChoy said:

No comment

No offence. You had posted such comment 8 minutes upon my first posting.

4 hours ago, FattChoy said:

When I suggested that BW should have a dark mode, GM said it's too expensive to add a few lines of codes.  Usually forums have options like 'Hide Thread'.  I also paiseh to suggest to him.  If BW is a ship, it feels like we're on a 16th century Pirates of the Caribbean wooden ship.  Creaking along...

However, you came back with a new posting now, what made you changing your mind?

Tried hard to digest your proposal, about dark mode, 16th century wooden ship & etc. but failed. Mind to give us more explanation?

Edited by Larry

Guest jjlin

This is increasingly a hostile and useless forum.

Populated by mentally deficient members and weird guests.

Moderator obviously face an uphill battle trying to shape this place.

Only solution is to disengage, and stick to the cruising/hookups/travel section

I prefer the Main Forum as it generally has a livelier discussion.
The difference between Main forum and Members forum is Guest.

There are topics and posts by Guests that provide entertainment and insights.

There are also posts from some Members that are questionable.

If we find certain offensive posts, let’s either ignore them or simply flag them and let Moderators take action.

Only choose to engage with those who genuinely want a discussion and not with those looking for a bitch fight.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

23 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

23 hours ago, wilfgene said:

Honey,

There is simply not enough of a public foundation around here to support such a move by one (single) website.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 hours ago, Larry said:

What is "Hundred Flowers Exhort"?

(enough of) A public foundation to support such a move by one website: I believe you refer to 'Blowing Wind',

(1)but what is the move?

(2)And how the move relates to this open letter?

(3)Appreciate <all> your efforts: What do I want from the effort?

...phraseology. I failed to understand, please pardon my deficiency. Super 'deep', catch no ball'.

Cynics, can't live with them, can't live without them.  Like men.

On one hand, beyond me.  On another, laziness on my part.  You may care to check out the Autobiography of Lu Kang (the First Chinese reporter) or "the Last Aristocrat" by Zhang Yi He.

Only you know if you believe even a majority of locals have even heard of "I disagree with you but I support your right to express your views".

That's more than two birds and certainly not only 1 ball which I fantasize you catch.

By the way, the ashes of the ex-wife of the "2nd top-most Rightist of the PRC" is on the island.   

15 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I like the idea of having the main forum for members, and have a separate forum for newcomers and guests.  Guests could replicate some threads from the main forum in the second one to add their comments if they feel their opinions are important,

Why making life so difficult? Replicate here & there in order to voice out as guest. It doesn't cost a single cent to join as member, but to be polite, sensible & non hostile in communication.

The doubtful point for people not wanting to join as member I believe are boiling down to the liberty of come & go, with no responsibility on trolling, inciting quarrels & all other provocations.

14 hours ago, Guest Princess of Narnia said:

I strongly disagree.

Duplicity took up spaces, created confusion and eventually rendered members irrelevant.   

Then? Come in as member la... my dear princess. You cannot have the best of both worlds, to have someone else's cake and eat it.
Edited by Larry

27 minutes ago, wilfgene said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cynics, can't live with them, can't live without them.  Like men.

On one hand, beyond me.  On another, laziness on my part.  You may care to check out the Autobiography of Lu Kang (the First Chinese reporter) or "the Last Aristocrat" by Zhang Yi He.

Only you know if you believe even a majority of locals have even heard of "I disagree with you but I support your right to express your views".

That's more than two birds and certainly not only 1 ball which I fantasize you catch.

By the way, the ashes of the ex-wife of the "2nd top-most Rightist of the PRC" is on the island.   

Help... super "qing" (to be pronounced in Hokkien), totally catch no ball. Better stop reading immediately before getting mental disorder.

Serious. 

Guest Hazily Instructor
8 hours ago, glowingember said:

I prefer the Main Forum as it generally has a livelier discussion. The difference between Main forum and Members forum is Guest. There are topics and posts by Guests that provide entertainment and insights. There are also posts from some Members that are questionable.

If we find certain offensive posts, let’s either ignore them or simply flag them and let Moderators take action. Only choose to engage with those who genuinely want a discussion and not with those looking for a bitch fight.

The reason the Main Forum is livelier is not because of guests. It is livelier because it is first on the list and most of the threads are here. If the Main Forum and Members Lounge are switched in order, and most of the good threads are moved to the new Members Forum as suggested above, it would quickly become the center of the action.

The other thing is that some of those guests are members who don't want to use their member name due to all of the problems caused by troll guests. You can read above that even a longtime member like Upshot barely posts anymore because of the troll problems. Same thing happened to FluteGuan and several others. Nobody needs that crap.

The next issue is that some members only use their member name to solicit fun in the Personals Section, but when they want to participate in a Main Forum threads, they do so as guests. It would be better if they registered two member names, one for fun and one for discussion, but they probably view that as too much work to bother with.

The solution is not to ignore troll guests and, from what I have seen, let them do as they please. Somebody needs to bring down the hammer and stamp out their negative behavior. It is bad for Blowing Wind and it is bad for the gay community. The moderators are not robots or free all day long. Our suggestions would make their lives easier.

Guest Anonymous

Guest were here before you and me.

50% of main forum posts are by Guest. Guest Wordsareallihave is contributing a wonderful series.

I only read the main forum.

Some gay man are very deep in the closet. Some do it because of family. Some work as high government official, work as educator, work in security area or have public profile.  We know we are gay and we must walk very carefully.  Members with a named Internet accounts are not anonymous.  In less than a day, the authorities unmasked and charged the Twitter member who posted BDSM uniform pictures.  The records on his Twitter account will work as evidence against him in court.  With all due respect, blowing wind forum cannot be compared to Twitter.  Anonymous guest is an option to allow deep closet guest an outlet on Internet.

Guest Overdosed Yourself

I haven't seen anybody saying completely get rid of guests. What most of us seem to be suggesting is that a certain troll guest (or guests) currently has this website basically gripped in a "reign of terror" and it is obviously too much trouble for the moderators to chase him around and delete his constant vicious unprovoked attacks against members and other guests.

Since the troll guest refuses to respect the other BW readers, and the moderators can't stop him, we are suggesting that the Main Forum become for Members Only ... and there would still be another forum for Guests, Newcomers, and any Members who wish to interact with them ... so you can still post anonymously in the secondary forum as well as the Flaming Room.

13 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

Some gay man are very deep in the closet. Some do it because of family. Some work as high government officials, work as educators, work in security area or have public profile.  We know we are gay and we must walk very carefully.  Members with a named Internet accounts are not anonymous.  In less than a day, the authorities unmasked and charged the Twitter member who posted BDSM uniform pictures.  The records on his Twitter account will work as evidence against him in court.  With all due respect, blowing wind forum cannot be compared to Twitter.  Anonymous guest is an option to allow deep closet guest an outlet on Internet.

I'm super old-fashioned. I have zero social media platform, whether is Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumbir, Snapchat or any others, none at all. What I use only 'Blowing Wind', but isn't sure it belongs to social media platform or not.

As such, I shall dwell on 'Blowing Wind'. As far as I'm aware, this forum asks for little or almost zero personal profile. Even displaying individual photo is optional, only a few members who hide nothing & post their own pictures.

Regardless how little content on our profiles,  that doesn't mean we can do whatever things we desired. I believe the rule of law needed to be observed.

2 hours ago, Guest Hazily Instructor said:

The other thing is that some of those guests are members who don't want to use their member name due to all of the problems caused by troll guests...

The next issue is that some members only use their member name to solicit fun in the Personals Section, but when they want to participate in a Main Forum threads, they do so as guests. It would be better if they registered two member names, one for fun and one for discussion...

Gosh, never know people can become so sophisticated & so unreliable. These people ought to have two laptops in order to register two separate names. There were incidents about members acted as guests & were detected, resulted in receiving suspension from moderators, all because they used the same laptop which carried individual IP address.

Well, I have used BW forum in the early 2010s as a member, when I was 20 years old to 23 years. 

I remember that period to be quite a pleasant one, where there were quality topics that were quite interesting, as well as stories that were really emotional and heartwrenching. As a young man in the early 20s, there was a good mix of young gays and mature gays and I felt that the groups respected one another. Of course there were drama, but the drama were more often between members and they were actually full of brilliant sass. This is the period before there was any chatroom as well as private chat. Messages and letters were exchanged instead, members interacted more with one another using thread precisely because there is no chat room. Given that posts are more permanent, it opened up a longer period for discussion on a certain topic.

Then of course, the apps came along. People flocked to the app to look for the one or for sex. At the same time, BW implemented private chat and chatroom as well as a place for people to share their thoughts. Unfortunately, anything you hand to men will always end up being used for sex. Statuses on the wall becomes a place where people try to slut themselves out, private chat and chatroom also became a way for people to try to hook up as well. The atmosphere took a quick turn: Previously I could ignore since main forum doesn't allow personal ads. There was a period of time it seems like you are just smacked with it when you login. It was saturated at one point of time, and I guess people just left gradually.

Now I popped by occasionally, and it is a pity the forum has became an unsafe space for members to post. I do believe BW has the potential to become a really good forum again.

My thoughts are as below:

• Re-evaluating the features of the forum. Yes, keeping up with times are good. But moderators can also assess if certain features enhance or reduce the user experience of the forum. Reddit doesn't have a chat function, but was able to have users interact with one another using posts and content.
  • Content: This is a tricky one, I don't mind people asking questions but there are way too many questions on main forum now. Some of them are not even quality questions. There are so much questions that I think you can just create a sub-category for questions and just throw all question threads in there and the main forum will be so much cleaner. 
  • Guest or no guest: Well, I believe that no guests should be able to post (view only). Change is always difficult, but once implemented, guests have no choice but to make do with the change. There are no major forum out there for Singaporean gays.
    • Anonymity, as some members have pointed out, is of no issue. If a person can make a faceless profile in dating app, a person can make a basic profile with no description as a member. This is in exchange for a safer environment and reducing work for moderator to track guest postings. In modern context, regardless if you post with or without an account, someone can still track you down if they really want to. Posting as a guest is simply fake reassurance. 
    • I would suggest removing rights for guest to post topics, but only comment. 
  • Point restriction system: Alternatively, a taiwanese forum I browse (tt1069) use a system of points rather than splitting into members and non-members. Which I think works very well but I am not sure if it can be replicated here.
    • Generally, a registered member can create a topic. 
    • The member who's the poster sets a minimum number of points that others can view. The tier of the points of the member depends on the number of posts that the member has posted. For example, Members with 30 points are perhaps people who have posted 30 times (each post worth 1 points) 
    • For example, Steve5380 started a thread, and he set it such that only members with 30 points can read the thread.
    • Guests will not able to open his topic at all, unless they set up an account and post content 30 times. If they really have so much time, then too bad, but at least it makes it more troublesome for troublemaking guests. Even if members want to make a guest account to troll him, they now cannot do so easily. 
    • For people who don't mind handling troublemaking guests, they can simply set a thread without setting a point limitation. That way, everyone can read it and comment, including the guests.

21 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

Guest were here before you and me.

50% of main forum posts are by Guest. Guest Wordsareallihave is contributing a wonderful series.

I only read the main forum.

Some gay man are very deep in the closet. Some do it because of family. Some work as high government official, work as educator, work in security area or have public profile.  We know we are gay and we must walk very carefully.  Members with a named Internet accounts are not anonymous.  In less than a day, the authorities unmasked and charged the Twitter member who posted BDSM uniform pictures.  The records on his Twitter account will work as evidence against him in court.  With all due respect, blowing wind forum cannot be compared to Twitter.  Anonymous guest is an option to allow deep closet guest an outlet on Internet.

Can I just throw in my two cents, a lot of  your fear are misplaced dude base on what you wrote above. Now I might be wrong but let me explain.

When you visit/reply or start a topic thread, do BW requests for your real name, address, job..etc and then proceed to verify it before allowing you to join/enter or reply a thread? No, you can still be a guest to the forum to start or reply a thread.

Do they ask you for your authenticated personal details to track or sell your email/particulars to marketers or whoever? No, you can get away with using a fake name and put down an easily created email account (Gmail e.g.) with no link to your real official email used in your private life or work.

I used to run websites and forums at work. So I am aware why there are situations for your REAL particulars practices or like in BW's situation, they choose just to take basic particulars you set or 'make up' in their application to register you for joining their site.

All BW want is for you to have a consistent ID to help identify you to them and everyone so that when you participate in topic threads, others will be able to identify and relate you to the topic threads and comments you post. The good part, they get to compliment you for positive things you do ....or don't. (Life is like that in real life or you wear a mask the whole time to go thru life so no one knows what you look like?) This is just their  'light handed way' to self-policing the forum and ourselves to keep the peace in the forum. Truth be told, it does not stop troublemakers from still causing problem if they want, by creating and changing IDs or coming in a 'guest' as often as they like.

But NOTE, even if you use GUEST link to a free Gmail account created for registering at sites anonymously, the lawful authority CAN STILL GET YOU. You need to understand how the internet login in works. It takes a lot more IT know-how to hide who you are online. For 'normally' hateful deeds you do, like throwing a wet blanket on someone's comment or things considered 'light weight' insults or making remarks of a cruel nature, BW just have moderators give you a warning or ban your account BUT you can still happily create a new identity to make a new ID or sign-in as guest and come right back in to carry on your hateful ways. BW can not directly track you to who you are outside out of the software their forum uses.

But in cases where you post minors children sex files here for example, date rape, pass a harmful illness to others in BW, cheat someone financially or property...i.e., rest assure, the authority is very likely to track you to where you log in. Be it home, office or where ever via your internet service provider or mobile phone provider by tracking your online foot print. The means to tracking is part and parcel of software used to connect the various links nodes between service provider on the internet to forums and sites you visit. 99.9% of the time, it's too crazy for the authority to track everyone's internet activities every second of the day BUT if there is a priority, they can. So if you think using GUEST will keep you unknown to everyone? Think again. Irritating comments and cruel teasing might be minor and not fall within confine of breaching criminal laws thus most hateful Guests will get a way with it. But you take it too far, you can be tracked down. Sad part is many of the poison mockery will go unpunished as it is too small for the authority to care,so I am only say this for those people who do deeds that can be deem criminal... don't try to do it in BW.

To me, there is no reason for NOT creating an account. And having registered one (it's not the end of the world). It has a positive effect on me and everyone with whom I can relate a nickname with even if I truly have never met the person behind the nick. I see it in a positive (and notti heh) way. It ensures, I stay respectful and identify me to other regulars here. Doing so, helps me build my credibility, personality and defines me over time using the same ID that people can relate to. Like a village where everyone knows each person's personality thus we relate and react more knowingly & positive. I think that is a good thing.

Anonymous guest is an option to allow deep closet guest an outlet on Internet.

Positive outlet is good. BUT. If you are a closeted gay or what have you, it is no excuse for you to come to a gay forum targetting other closeted and openly gays, to vent your frustration and take it out on people who suffer while closeted, victimized, hurt in real life after coming out...etc. This is a place for people to share issues, problems and help each other out. If being closeted means you get the right to do shitty things and say harmful things to other fellow gays, you have nothing good coming to your real pathetic life hiding behind a closet door. No Excuse.

I can only think of 3 main groups of people who would be against registering a ID. The misguided, the paranoid and those with not so good intentions in mind.

Like someone here mentioned, the main thread has the livelier topics as one reason being, it's the first thread title they see coming in. True. I have no issue with a lively and fiery topics ( at times very troubling the type of topics that gets started ..... i try my best to ignore more and more of them) but it is the constant toxic-cold-water-wet-blanket hateful GUESTs keep throwing that overtime you just don't want to deal with it any more. They are not constructive, mean spirited, at time they do so without interest in the topic or thread but simply just to dump on the comment/commenter marked for the sake of making themselves feel better about themselves or spoiling things just because they can. For these people... "Guest" mode is a weaponized mean to slowly eroding all the good reasons for coming in or having a Blowing Wind (free nor payment required sanctuary) forum. For these people, tomorrow, the forum is shut down, there is no love lose. They will just find another one to spoil.

Let me be truly frank. This is mainly not the str8 coming in to do this and target us. I think deep inside we all know who these people are. If you take the time to observe their manner of commenting and emotional style, str8 do not have the patience, long term free time or level of bitchy disposition to do these unless they are mentally ill. I have had too many years dealing with this people inside and outside the web to not notice trend.

Edited by upshot
typo errors and clarity

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.