Male HQ

For gays who will be seniors one day - A Steve5380 Topic!

Steve5380

Guest It make sense
On 1/25/2022 at 11:50 PM, Steve5380 said:

Now wrong at all!  Our body will not try to make full use of calories coming in.  Otherwise we would have horrible fluctuations in weight. 

A car has a natural regulator of the maximum energy coming in:  this is when the tank is full and the filling nozzle shuts off. A battery charger like the car 

Don't blame on calories. Blame on your low metabolism rate. Now go  get yourself a Ferrari instead. 

On 1/25/2022 at 10:08 AM, Guest It make sense said:

Don't blame on calories. Blame on your low metabolism rate. Now go  get yourself a Ferrari instead. 

Precisely, a person who eats normal but has low metabolism,  must have the excess calories go somewhere. And they do, into the toilet. 

The metabolism is one regulatory mechanism in the body.  It determines the calories the body should consume normally.

There has to be another regulatory mechanism that senses the excess calories coming in,  the ones the that exceed that what the body metabolism needs,  and gets rid of them.

This is exactly what the fuel pump in the Ferrari does.  It pumps a constant volume, but when the pressure of the gas reaches the value its injectors need, it has a pressure regulating valve that returns this gas to the tank or its input.  In the case of our bodies,  the excess calories are not returned to the mouth, but have to leave the body at the other end. 

So the Ferrari is more efficient than us,  since we throw away the excess calories.  But then, the cost of the food we eat may be less than the cost of gas a guzzling Ferrari may need.   

Guest Problem solved
On 1/26/2022 at 12:26 AM, Steve5380 said:

Excess calories are not returned to the mouth, but have to leave the body at the other end. 

Then, get your other end plug and start getting on your feet. Was it too much to ask?

On 1/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, singalion said:

Actually, I m not sure why you lately tend to pull me into the same league as InBangkok. 

We are not flocks of the same feathers!

At no point I ever wrote or said I m perfect! 

I m not even near to perfect. 

I m well aware I have flaws because I m human. 

Probably nobody here at BW has ever seen the feathers of you and InBangkok.

So it is difficult to judge if you are birds of the same feather.  

If you are human and have flaws,  why you harp so much on my flaws?  I am human too!

On 1/25/2022 at 10:39 AM, singalion said:

The note said "if the pattern of mortality staid the same as in the year of birth."

Pattern, not mortarlity rate. 

That's different. 

Usually you are the one who would stick to words (aka solitude or loneliness)

But knowing you, you will now argue pattern and rate is the same...

You need to read again the note at the bottom of the graph you posted:

"Note: shown is period life expectancy at birth, the average number of years a newborn would live if the pattern of mortality in the given year were to stay the same throughout its life."

and then get informed about the two types of life expectancy:  the PERIOD and the COHORT, by reading the following: 

https://ourworldindata.org/life-expectancy-how-is-it-calculated-and-how-should-it-be-interpreted

"One important distinction and clarification is the difference between cohort and period life expectancy.

The cohort life expectancy is the average life length of a particular cohort – a group of individuals born in a given year. When we can track a group of people born in a particular year, many decades ago, and observe the exact date in which each one of them died then we can calculate this cohort’s life expectancy by simply calculating the average of the ages of all members when they died.

You can think of life expectancy in particular year as the age a person born in that year would expect to live if the average age of death did not change over their lifetime.

It is of course not possible to know this metric before all members of the cohort have died. Because of that statisticians commonly track members of a particular cohort and predict the average age-at-death for them using a combination of observed mortality rates for past years and projections about mortality rates for future years.

An alternative approach consists in estimating the average length of life for a hypothetical cohort assumed to be exposed, from birth through death, to the mortality rates observed at one particular period – commonly a year. This approach leads to what is known as ‘period life expectancy‘ and it is the much more commonly used life expectancy metric. It is the definition used by most international organizations, including the UN and the World Bank, when reporting ‘life expectancy’ figures. Period life expectancy estimates do not take into account how mortality rates are changing over time and instead only reflects the mortality pattern at one point in time. Because of this, period life expectancy figures are usually different to cohort life expectancy figures."

It says very clearly that the period life expectancy is the one that does not take into account how mortality rates are changing over time.   And in the Note: of the graph it says that it is the "pattern of mortality" what does not change.

So this means that "pattern of mortality" is given the same lack of influence as mortality rate.  Neither one changes.  The pattern of mortality here probably means the statistical distribution of ages of death of the population, possibly a somewhat Gaussian curve,  and the mortality rate is extracted from this curve.  If the curve does not change, neither does the rate.

So, both the Note: of your graph and my definition are right, just using different names.  

I don't try to find defects in your writings. If you write what is true, like that we are in January 2022, I won't contradict you.  I only do it in a case like this one, where you are wrong, especially when your wrongness comes from trying to correct me.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, singalion said:

Actually, I m not sure why you lately tend to pull me into the same league as InBangkok. 

I don't put you in exactly the same league.  I suspect that your attacks on what I write are not pure malevolence, but instead they are teasing inspired by a spirit of sportsmanship.  Usually they are not insulting, and harmless.

The "other one", on the contrary,  reveals a degree of anger and revenge that I think that only he can bring under control.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Intermittent Fast
On 1/26/2022 at 4:17 AM, Steve5380 said:

The "other one", on the contrary,  reveals a degree of anger and revenge that I think that only he can bring under control.

Because you do not know how to fast and kept feeding "it" with glucose and carb.

On 1/25/2022 at 6:20 PM, Guest Intermittent Fast said:

Because you do not know how to fast and kept feeding "it" with glucose and carb.

Maybe if I could start feeding him candy, like to a child.  But I'm afraid that could make him more hyper. 😲

By the way, I started water-only fasting two days ago, I don't know how long I will go before getting too bored.  But since I don't have to eat I have more time to get things done.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:51 AM, InBangkok said:

Water-fasting at his age? Ha! Falling for the quackery again!

Quack quack,  InBangkok, to your quacking as always. 😄

I am now coming to the end of my third day of water-only fasting.  With its good and its not so good.

Not so good is the lack of strenuous exercise that is recommended. Also without the meal times the day is like a continuum without fixed periods.  From going up in the morning to going to bed at night it is all the same,  a little boring.  Also disturbing is the loss of weight, already two kilos now.  This may be the reason I might end the fast early, tomorrow or Friday.  I also think of some perishable food I have that may spoil if I don't eat them it in many days.

The good is that I feel alert and sharp, without any physical problem. I am amazed at how much more time I have.  During the fast I stay at home, without even sticking my nose out of the entrance door.  Perfect solitude!  Instead of gym I do some light exercising and stretching at home.  I do much clerical work, looking after my papers, accounts, starting with my taxes.  I watch videos, TV, listen to music.  Play music on my three pianos in three rooms.  I haven't spoken with anyone except my sister, with whom I have large conversations helping her with some problems she has with her computer, and a few reps from the places I have my accounts.  I should call my son too.  So far I haven't lost any strength.  I miss going to the grocery stores, which I like to do, even more when I see some good specials they have this week.  I am not hungry, and when I see the adds for yummy foods I don't buy, I am glad that I don't buy them.

And expected goods are the physical benefits that come with a longer time fasting.  I must have multitude of senescent cells at my age that I like to get rid of.  Same with unhealthy interstitial fat that I might have that is now being used as fuel.  The lack of good, warm food makes me also feel more the cold,  which should have an anti-aging effect. 

Yet I look forward to end this fast,  because I LIKE to eat.  And I will eat plenty again,  minus some snacking.  And maybe, maybe I will be younger?   :lol:

Yes, David Sinclair again! 

This is his latest video, about the substances that could extend longevity.  This video is also long, a little more dry, and at the end he reveals what drugs, supplements he takes himself.  Quite interesting...

Interesting may be not for young guys who have other things in their lives and not longevity,  but more for guys like me who are a little older and have desires to live as long as possible.  For those guys who are not interested very much,  these posts can give at least an information about what is there,  what is happening today.  One never knows when one will be older,  ha ha.  Time flies...

Guest Oh Really?
On 1/27/2022 at 4:39 AM, Steve5380 said:

for guys like me who are a little older

OK, put your joke aside.  You should let Sinclair do a lab experiment on you, no time to wait.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:39 AM, Steve5380 said:

Interesting may be not for young guys who have other things in their lives and not longevity,  but more for guys like me who are a little older and have desires to live as long as possible.

As I just wrote, this thread is a total waste of time for all but those who are 78 and eye 120 as an enviable age to die!

I have ended my water-only fast today,  after 4 days ( 96 hours ) of not eating anything.    I wanted to do it a 5 day fast, but I was concerned over losing too much weight.  I lost 5 pounds,  2 1/2 kilos, with the fast.  Now I am starting slowly to eat some food, and maybe in a week I will recuperate back to normal.  

I didn't end the fast because of hunger.  Although I missed my snacks, hunger was never a problem.  But I started also to feel colder, especially at night.  It was a successful experience.  One that I won't repeat often, but I will be comfortable doing shorter fasts, like 48 hours, and in addition continue with my intermittent fasting.  

Now I will leave my home for the first time in these four days and go to two grocery stores to take advantage of some of the specials of this week.   Life could not be better!  I am happy to be a senior. :) 

I want to come back to the issue of declaring ageing A DISEASE.

This is relevant to all of us, including our younger fellow gays,  because it could be a revolutionary change in the practice of medicine.  And it will affect us all, since no one remains young forever.  Here is some information:

https://theconversation.com/why-ageing-should-be-classified-as-a-disease-126642

There are already geriatric doctors.  What they do is to treat a variety of temporary and chronic conditions that arise due to the "natural?" process of aging.  But they don't specifically treat the AGING mechanism because it is assumed that this is a natural process in humans,  like it is natural to have two eyes and not three.

After watching the latest video of David Sinclair about the longevity molecules and drugs,  I am starting to realize what a godsend blessing this declaration of disease can be to medical establishment and drug companies. 

Drug companies will be able to develop and market drugs specifically to combat ageing,  besides the now existing drugs for Alzheimer's, for loss of memory, loss of cognition,  arthritis, etc.  A new variety of doctors may spring up specialized in longevity.  So besides geriatric doctors we will have longevity doctors.  (a nice change mentioning the objective rather than the disease) 

And the biology scientists like Sinclair will be in big demand by the drug companies.  Longevity "medicine" will be in super high demand because...  what person wants to age?  :lol:

Edited by Steve5380

On 1/27/2022 at 10:15 PM, Steve5380 said:

I have ended my water-only fast today,  after 4 days ( 96 hours ) of not eating anything.    I wanted to do it a 5 day fast, but I was concerned over losing too much weight.  I lost 5 pounds,  2 1/2 kilos, with the fast.  Now I am starting slowly to eat some food, and maybe in a week I will recuperate back to normal.

If you seriously think any young or even middle-aged Singaporean or Asian who works for a living, perhaps has a partner and mostly has a group of friends takes this thread seriously, you have another think coming. Where are all the replies telling you your quackery is a fantastic revelation and they are going to follow your example?

This quack nonsense may not even work for old men who are desperate either to turn back the clock or stop it. As I have said before - and you have never countered the assertion - it would be utterly useless for those in their 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s - and probably also their 60s. So now you tell us you are on a cycle where you will llose weight suddenly and then put it on again quite quickly - a cycle that can't do your bodily organs any good at all.

On 1/28/2022 at 12:15 AM, Steve5380 said:

I want to come back to the issue of declaring ageing A DISEASE.

This is relevant to all of us, including our younger fellow gays,  because it could be a revolutionary change in the practice of medicine.  And it will affect us all, since no one remains young forever. 

So you are seriously trying to make us believe this. Had you known about all this quackery when you were younger, busily  working full time and visiting Middle Eastern oil fields, you would have had the time and so much energy you could go without food for 4 or 5 days and drink only water? Of course you couldn't and you wouldn't! Your body would not take it! You cannot work at any job and not eat for 4 consecutive days even if the plan was to keep that up for 5 days as you told us. That is pure madness. It's rather like you are choosing deliberately to make yourself bulimic - and sadly I know someone who died from that horrible disease.

And you have the gall to suggest this "could be a revolutionary change in the practice of medicine!" Have you now weaned your doctor son on to this crazy quackery? I'll bet he is far too busy working and bringing up a family to be bothered with such nonsense. But do tell us! We want to know! So if you have not persuaded your son to do this, why even bother to try and persuade young Singaporeans and other readers of BW?

Why on earth do you post such quack videos on an Asian site where food and enjoying meals together is part of the daily culture? Oh, I forgot. you really don't know Asian culture apart from visiting gay saunas.

It is now more than a day since I ended my 96 hours water-only fast,  and I could not be more satisfied.

I realize that some longer fasting can do away with the addiction to snacking.  Now I don't crave snacks, and I have to remind myself to eat, since my schedule got disrupted during the last 4 days.  If at all, I may have got an habit of drinking,  since I had replaced eating with drinking water, tea and coffee.  (no alcohol, you teasers)

I also have gained confidence.  Confidence in letting time pass without feeding myself, knowing that this is completely harmless.  Nothing more of this " Oh.. it's time for dinner and I have noting to eat!   Well... now if there is nothing to eat... I don't eat, period.  It is true that if we don't eat we lose some weight, but not energies.  It seems that having a flexible metabolism we notice no change when the body changes from glucose to fat.  No reduction in strength, endurance, energy, alertness.  It is like a hybrid car switching from the gas motor to its battery.  We get even quieter, without the noise of munching, swallowing, the clatter of plates, spoon, fork, ha ha ha.

If society would just listen to the benefits of fasting!  For once I have to give credit to the religions that include fasting in their dogmas.

No more need of attractive gays seeing their bodies transform though the years of enjoyable addiction to snack and meals, only to see their waists expand and some rolls appear,  then desperately trying the diets in fashion and trying to "burn calories" in the gym, and not seeing any positive results.   It must be so depressing, and naturally leading to resignation with the false theory that "it is in my genes",  "I am predisposed to obesity",  etc. etc.

Intermittent fasting and some longer time fasting does away with all this.  It is a SURE solution to being overweight.  It is not difficult to do, and it is safe and...  FREE!   It takes just a little dare in trying it. :thumb:

Edited by Steve5380

Three times I have asked, and three times you have provided no answer. And the answer is important for all the younger and much younger Asians who read BW and might perhaps be reading this thread. So I repeat -

On 1/28/2022 at 9:36 PM, InBangkok said:

Why on earth do you post such (I have deleted the adjective) videos on an Asian site where food and enjoying meals together is part of the daily culture?

You are retired and therefore have time to do as you wish. I understand that. But how do you expect younger Asians to give up food and snacks for 4 or 5 days when they will have busy daily jobs, regular commuting, perhaps some exercising and various other activities. Their bodies will be exhausted by the end of the first 24 hours!

On 1/29/2022 at 1:33 PM, Steve5380 said:

This depends on how neat you are.  Indeed, there are more shells than the nuts themselves.  This is why I prefer peanuts already shelled.  These days I bought three one-pound containers of shelled peanuts,  and now I eat them together with the steel-cut oats,  they combine into a complete protein. 

Oh Steve!

What happened to your role model function?

Peanuts are too fattening.

Why do you recommend intermittent fasting and then afterwards eat peanuts like a drug addict on cold turkey?

You should recommend Almonds instead!

Peanuts

Here are the nutrition facts for 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw peanuts:

• Calories: 567
  • Water: 7%
  • Protein: 25.8 grams
  • Carbs: 16.1 grams
  • Sugar: 4.7 grams
  • Fiber: 8.5 grams
  • Fat: 49.2 grams
    • Saturated: 6.28 grams
    • Monounsaturated: 24.43 grams
    • Polyunsaturated: 15.56 grams
    • Omega-3: 0 grams
    • Omega-6: 15.56 grams
    • Trans: 0 grams

=> compare this to almonds. (Nothing than peanuts)

Health Benefits of Almonds

Almonds are among the world’s most popular tree nuts.

They are highly nutritious and rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.

1. Almonds Deliver a Massive Amount of Nutrients

Almonds are the edible seeds of Prunus dulcis, more commonly called the almond tree.

They are native to the Middle East, but the US is now the world’s largest producer.

The almonds you can buy in stores usually have the shell removed, revealing the edible nut inside. They are sold either raw or roasted.

They are also used to produce almond milk, oil, butter, flour or paste — also known as marzipan.

Almonds boast an impressive nutrient profile. A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving of almonds contains (1😞

• Fiber: 3.5 grams
  • Protein: 6 grams
  • Fat: 14 grams (9 of which are monounsaturated)
  • Vitamin E: 37% of the RDI
  • Manganese: 32% of the RDI
  • Magnesium: 20% of the RDI
  • They also contain a decent amount of copper, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and phosphorus.

This is all from a small handful, which supplies only 161 calories and 2.5 grams of digestible carbohydrates.

Almonds are a fantastic source of antioxidants.

Antioxidants help protect against oxidative stress, which can damage molecules in your cells and contribute to inflammation, aging and diseases like cancer (4Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).

The powerful antioxidants in almonds are largely concentrated in the brown layer of the skin (6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source, 8).

For this reason, blanched almonds — those with skin removed — are not the best choice from a health perspective.

Vitamin E is a family of fat-soluble antioxidants.

Nuts are low in carbs but high in healthy fats, protein and fiber.

This makes them a perfect choice for people with diabetes.

Another boon of almonds is their remarkably high amount of magnesium.

Magnesium is a mineral involved in more than 300 bodily processes, including blood sugar control (17Trusted Source).

5. Magnesium Also Benefits Blood Pressure Levels

6. Almonds Can Lower Cholesterol Levels

7. Almonds Prevent Harmful Oxidation of LDL Cholesterol

Almonds are low in carbs and high in protein and fiber.

Both protein and fiber are known to increase feelings of fullness. This can help you eat fewer calories (33Trusted Source, 34Trusted Source).

Nuts contain several nutrients that your body struggles to break down and digest.

Your body does not absorb about 10–15% of the calories in nuts. Additionally, some evidence suggests that eating nuts can boost metabolism slightly (37Trusted Source).

Due to their satiating properties, nuts are a great addition to an effective weight loss diet.

Take a look at No. 8 and 9 also!

and more...   

Role Model...

On 1/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, singalion said:

Why do you recommend intermittent fasting and then afterwards eat peanuts like a drug addict on cold turkey?

Peanuts

Here are the nutrition facts for 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw peanuts:

• Calories: 567
  • Water: 7%
  • Protein: 25.8 grams
  • Carbs: 16.1 grams
  • Sugar: 4.7 grams
  • Fiber: 8.5 grams
  • Fat: 49.2 grams
    • Saturated: 6.28 grams
    • Monounsaturated: 24.43 grams
    • Polyunsaturated: 15.56 grams
    • Omega-3: 0 grams
    • Omega-6: 15.56 grams
    • Trans: 0 grams

"Peanuts are too fattening"?? As usual, omitting out the facts from the articles again just to mislead the general public? 

Dear readers, fact checking anything thing posted by some incorrigible liar is now compulsory before you take in any of his words. The full article from what he had posted above is here: 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/peanuts#nutrition and excepts on the weight loss portion in the same article is extracted as below. 

Weight loss

Peanuts have been widely studied with regard to weight maintenance.

Despite being high in fat and calories, peanuts do not appear to contribute to weight gain (21Trusted Source).

In fact, observational studies have shown that peanut consumption may help maintain a healthy weight and reduce your risk of obesity (22Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source, 24Trusted Source, 25Trusted Source).

These studies are all observational, which means that they cannot prove causation.

However, one small, 6-month study in healthy women suggested that when other sources of fat in a low-fat diet were replaced with peanuts, they lost 6.6 pounds (3 kg) despite being told to maintain their initial weight (26Trusted Source).

Another study found that when 3 ounces (89 grams) of peanuts were added to the daily diet of healthy adults for 8 weeks, they did not gain as much weight as expected (27Trusted Source).

Various factors make peanuts a weight-loss-friendly food:

• They reduce food intake by promoting fullness to a greater extent than other common snacks, such as rice cakes (27Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source).
  • Because of how filling peanuts are, people appear to compensate for increased peanut consumption by eating less of other foods (27Trusted Source).
  • When whole peanuts are not chewed well enough, a portion of them may pass through your digestive system without being absorbed (27Trusted Source, 29Trusted Source).
  • The high content of protein and monounsaturated fat in peanuts may increase calorie burning (29Trusted Source, 30Trusted Source).
  • Peanuts are a source of insoluble dietary fiber, which is linked to a reduced risk of weight gain (31Trusted Source, 32Trusted Source).

On 1/29/2022 at 3:38 PM, Guest Guest said:

"Peanuts are too fattening"?? As usual, omitting out the facts from the articles again just to mislead the general public? 

Ya!!  I was shocked too.  The so called fact, was like the label printed on commercial packaging and completely destroyed the true nutritional fact of Peanut (those without GMO) planted by ethical farmers. 

The point was a comparison between almonds and peanuts. The health benefits and slimming effects of almonds are much bigger than for peanuts.

The article says "weight maintenance" that is different to slimming factors (such as almonds provide).

Peanuts also have much more saturated fats.

Saturated fat is a type of dietary fat. It is one of the unhealthy fats, along with trans fat.

The above post was already debunked by his own posting where it says that the studies are just "observational".

For the almonds there is conclusive research on weight loss gains.

Here is the full content for almonds on weigh loss:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-proven-benefits-of-almonds#TOC_TITLE_HDR_10

Nuts contain several nutrients that your body struggles to break down and digest.

Your body does not absorb about 10–15% of the calories in nuts. Additionally, some evidence suggests that eating nuts can boost metabolism slightly (37Trusted Source).

Due to their satiating properties, nuts are a great addition to an effective weight loss diet.

Quality human research supports this.

In one study, a low-calorie diet with 3 ounces (84 grams) of almonds increased weight loss by 62% compared to a diet enriched with complex carbohydrates (38Trusted Source).

Another study in 100 overweight women found that those consuming almonds lost more weight than those on a nut-free diet. They also showed improvements in waist circumference and other health markers (39Trusted Source).

Despite being high in fat, almonds are definitely a weight-loss-friendly food.

Almonds and other nuts are very high in calories. As a snack, they should be on the binge eaters’ blacklist.

=> In the bottom line: almonds (with all other health benefit factors) are much healthier, more efficient in slimming and contain less saturated fat compared to peanuts.

Edited by singalion

The 10 Healthiest Nuts You Can Eat, According To Nutritionists

Almond is ranked no. 1 on health benefits.

Dec 24, 2019

1. Almonds

High Angle View Of Almonds On White Background
Sirinate Kaewma / EyeEmGetty Images

Okay, yes, there's a reason almonds get so much health hype. In addition to being a solid source of fiber and protein, almonds have also been shown to help lower inflammation in the body and help you maintain a healthy weight. (Some of those inflammation benefits may stem from the fact that almonds are high in vitamin E. One serving provides 60 percent of your daily needs!)

Some research has even linked eating almonds with a decreased risk of developing colon cancer.

Just note that a one-ounce serving of almonds comes out to about 24 nuts, so keep an eye on your portions.

Per 1-ounce serving: 164 calories, 14 g fat (1 g sat fat), 6 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 3.5 g fiber, 6 g protein

2. Brazil Nuts

Raw Braziil Nuts

4kodiakGetty Images

“These nuts pack in plenty of selenium, a mineral involved in thyroid hormone production and that’s crucial in antioxidant function for processes that protect us against cancer,” says dietitian Kelly R. Jones, RD. It's also great for hair skin and nail health.

"One study even showed an immediate impact on blood cholesterol improvements within nine hours of ingestion,” she says.

Take note, though: These are big-ass nuts. You only need to eat two or three a day to get the benefits, so don’t eat a whole handful of them like you would almonds.

Per 1-ounce serving: 187 calories, 19 g fat (4.5 g sat fat), 3 g carbs, 0 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein

3. Cashews

“Cashews have more iron than any other nut," says Jones. "With iron being the most common nutrient deficiency, more people should include them in their diets.”

The creamy texture of cashews also make them a great dairy replacement, Jones says. Try using ground salted cashews as a substitute for Parmesan.

Per 1-ounce serving: 160 calories, 12 g fat (2 g sat fat), 9 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein

4. Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts on a white background

elbsGetty Images

Generally associated with cookies, macadamias are highly underrated. “Macadamia nuts are high in thiamin (a.k.a. vitamin B1), manganese, and copper, and contain healthy monounsaturated fat, the kind found in avocados and olive oil,” says Michalczyk.

“They are also great in salads or as a more nutritious coating for chicken or fish,” she says.

Per 1-ounce serving: 204 calories, 21 g fat (0 g sat fat), 3.9 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 2.4 g protein

5. Peanuts

Peanuts

baratiborGetty Images

“Peanuts, though actually not a nut at all, but rather part of the legume family, are a good source of protein and many different vitamins and minerals, such as magnesium and phosphorus,” says Michalczyk.

Yes, you can reap their benefits by eating peanut butter, but try not to go at the jar with a spoon. “Keep in mind that peanut butter is high in calories, so stick to the serving size of two tablespoons,” Michalczyk says.

Per 1-ounce serving: 161 calories, 0.4 g fat (0 g sat fat), 4.5 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein

6. Pistachios

Delicious Pistachios

magnetcreativeGetty Images

“These little green gems make a great snack or salad-topper because of their high nutrient and antioxidant content,” Michalczyk says. They're one of the nuts with the highest concentration of the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, both of which promote eye health.

“Even better: Behavioral research has shown that it takes you longer to de-shell pistachios, so you are likely to eat less of them,” she adds.

Per 1-ounce serving: 159 calories, 12.8 g fat (0 g sat fat), 7.7 g carbs, 2.1 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 5.7 g protein

7. Walnuts

Walnuts

Jack AndersenGetty Images

“Walnuts are a super plant source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential in our diet and help to reduce the risk of heart disease,” says Michalczyk.

Though they’re a little higher in calories and fat than other nuts, they contain healthy fat that the body needs (and which helps you stay fuller for longer), she says.

Add walnuts to banana bread or oatmeal, or snack on 'em plain.

Per 1-ounce serving: 220 calories, 22 g fat (0 g sat fat), 5 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein

8. Pecans

Perfect Pecans

magnetcreativeGetty Images

“Pecans are one of the best known dietary sources of vitamin E," says Michalczyk. "They are also a great source of thiamin, a B vitamin that plays a key role in energy metabolism.”

You can use them in yogurt, oatmeal, soups, veggie sides, and more. “Fall is the perfect time to sprinkle them on just about everything,” Michalczyk says.

Per 1-ounce serving: 196 calories, 20 g fat (0 g sat fat), 3 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 2.6 g protein

9. Pine Nuts

Pine nuts
timsaGetty Images

"Pine nuts are a good source of vitamin E and K, as well as iron and magnesium," says Michalczyk.

Iron, which is essential for oxygen transportation throughout the body, is especially important for vegetarians, who may fall short on the mineral without meat in their diet. Pine nuts contain nearly eight grams of iron per cup, so they're a great source of the mineral, Michalczyk explains.

Use pine nuts to make pesto or sprinkle them on top of pastas, salads, chicken, or fish for a healthy crunch.

Per 1-ounce serving: 190 calories, 19 g fat (1.5 g sat fat), 0 mg sodium, 4 g carbs, 1 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein

10. Hazelnuts

Hazelnuts
Dorling KindersleyGetty Images

In addition to tasting delish in Nutella, "hazelnuts are a good source of vitamin E, copper, manganese, and antioxidants," says Michalczyk. Their antioxidants have even been shown to help decrease cholesterol and inflammation.

Enjoy hazelnuts as a snack, or add toasted hazelnuts to veggie dishes, salads, and pastas. (Just be sure to keep the skin on, since it contains the highest concentration of antioxidants, Michalczyk says.)

Or, skip the store-bought stuff and make your own hazelnut spread at home with hazelnuts, cocoa, and a touch of sweetener.

Per 1-ounce serving: 178 calories, 17 g fat (1.3 g sat fat), 0 mg sodium, 4.7 g carbs, 1.2 g sugar, 2.8 g fiber, 4.2 g protein

Here the full overview.

On 1/29/2022 at 4:07 PM, singalion said:

The point was a comparison between almonds and peanuts.

As usual, more lies. No, the point was NOT a comparison between almonds and peanuts. The point was a clear misrepresentation of the nutritional facts of peanuts like what was lied about below: 

On 1/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, singalion said:

On 1/29/2022 at 4:07 PM, singalion said:

The above post was already debunked by his own posting where it says that the studies are just "observational".

And now, just to fit his personal narratives, he is still trying to cherry-pick on the use of the word "observational" in the article, when other evidences are already slapping him in his face with the truths such as the mention of those studies which  followed the use of the word "observational" immediately.  

On 1/29/2022 at 3:38 PM, Guest Guest said:

However, one small, 6-month study in healthy women suggested that when other sources of fat in a low-fat diet were replaced with peanuts, they lost 6.6 pounds (3 kg) despite being told to maintain their initial weight (26Trusted Source).

Another study found that when 3 ounces (89 grams) of peanuts were added to the daily diet of healthy adults for 8 weeks, they did not gain as much weight as expected (27Trusted Source).

• They reduce food intake by promoting fullness to a greater extent than other common snacks, such as rice cakes (27Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source).
  • Because of how filling peanuts are, people appear to compensate for increased peanut consumption by eating less of other foods (27Trusted Source).
  • When whole peanuts are not chewed well enough, a portion of them may pass through your digestive system without being absorbed (27Trusted Source, 29Trusted Source).
  • The high content of protein and monounsaturated fat in peanuts may increase calorie burning (29Trusted Source, 30Trusted Source).
  • Peanuts are a source of insoluble dietary fiber, which is linked to a reduced risk of weight gain (31Trusted Source, 32Trusted Source).

I hope the world can now see for themselves the type of liar this member is.  And now, I bet he will be trying to wriggle his way out of the rabbit hole he dug for himself by throwing us more misleading lies. 

Healthiest nuts for dicease prevention

Almonds

Relatively low in calories, almonds have more calcium than any other nut, making them a great food for overall health. Plus, they are rich in fiber and vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps fight dangerous inflammation and possibly health conditions such as

and age-related cognitive decline.

Because they're so versatile, almonds are often a favorite among nut eaters: You can buy them raw, toasted, slivered, or coated with a variety of fun flavors.

What is better?

Almonds are good for shedding extra fat from your body. It contains amino acid L-arginine and as per a study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, this nut can help you burn more fats and carbs during your workout session.

Another study published in the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders observed that overweight adults who started having almonds regularly lost more weight than those who ate complex carbohydrates of similar calories and protein levels.

On 1/29/2022 at 4:30 PM, singalion said:

Healthiest nuts for dicease prevention

Almonds

Relatively low in calories, almonds have more calcium than any other nut, making them a great food for overall health. Plus, they are rich in fiber and vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps fight dangerous inflammation and possibly health conditions such as

and age-related cognitive decline.

Because they're so versatile, almonds are often a favorite among nut eaters: You can buy them raw, toasted, slivered, or coated with a variety of fun flavors.

What is better?

Almonds are good for shedding extra fat from your body. It contains amino acid L-arginine and as per a study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, this nut can help you burn more fats and carbs during your workout session.

Another study published in the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders observed that overweight adults who started having almonds regularly lost more weight than those who ate complex carbohydrates of similar calories and protein levels.

And here it is! More misleading lies from the incorrigible liar, and this time trying to mislead readers into thinking that almonds is "better" by copying articles talking about.... guess what ....   "Almonds vs Cashews: What is better for weight loss?" off the internet. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/weight-loss/almonds-vs-cashews-what-is-better-for-weight-loss/articleshow/67976476.cms

Anyway, the point I am trying to make here is not about peanuts or almonds here. It is to get all readers on this forum to wise up about how @singaLIAR got his name and to be careful of anything he says. He is the real-life boy who has cried wolf too many times already. 

Guest Are you Nut?
On 1/29/2022 at 4:20 PM, singalion said:

The 10 Healthiest Nuts You Can Eat, According To Nutritionists

People said ignorance is a bliss, but I see your ignorance as fool. Without further ado, here are the fact!!!

Rank first Per gram

1)  Peacans (low in net carb 4g, high in fat 71g)

2) Brazil  (low in net carb 6g, hight in fat 88g)

3) Walnut (low in net carb 6g, hight in fat 52g) - highest in Omega 3 compared by nuts

4)  Macademia (low in net carb 7g,  high in fat 102g) - highest in monounsaturated fat compared by nuts

5)  Almond (though its net carb is at acceptable 9g, but it has the lowest fat 45g among all nuts).  It would be better taking Almond butter instead (which provide more fats for the body), but still pale in comparison by healthy nuts above.

Who said fat is not good?  Our body smallest cell to the largest organ needs more fat and less carb/sugar to maintain optimum function.  

Furthermore,  Almond has the hightest amount of Oxalates (469mg) compared to all nuts being Macademia the lowest (42mg per 100grams).  Oxalates are substance that caused kidney stones.  Go figure which nuts stand above the rest.

Simple to read, short to understand and give more meaning to the topics. I hope to be a good example here for you troublesome guys.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:04 AM, singalion said:

Oh Steve!

What happened to your role model function?

Peanuts are fattening,  but the "too" is too severe.  Eaten in moderation they are good food.  Did you know that peanuts and its derivatives are a favorite food to help malnourished children, people around the world?

I have always praised almonds, and will never end doing it.  I have over two kilos of natural whole raw and unsalted peanuts in my pantry.  I usually buy the 40 ounce ( 1.13 Kg) packages by "Blue Diamond" from Amazon, for about $12, a good deal.

Almonds are an ideal nut,  although they are not too environmentally friendly.  They consume much water to grow.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:38 AM, Guest Guest said:

Dear readers, fact checking anything thing posted by some incorrigible liar is now compulsory before you take in any of his words. The full article from what he had posted above is here: 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/peanuts#nutrition and excepts on the weight loss portion in the same article is extracted as below. 

Weight loss

Peanuts have been widely studied with regard to weight maintenance.

Despite being high in fat and calories, peanuts do not appear to contribute to weight gain (21Trusted Source).

In fact, observational studies have shown that peanut consumption may help maintain a healthy weight and reduce your risk of obesity (22Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source, 24Trusted Source, 25Trusted Source).

These studies are all observational, which means that they cannot prove causation.

Thank you Guest Guest.  Your intervention was very opportune.  

Another questionable information from singalion that I did let pass is the idea that saturated fats are harmful.  This is an old opinion that is being debunked. Saturated fats don't seem to increase the vascular risk of clogged vessels, they don't increase the risk of heart attack.   The real bad ones (today) seem to be the trans fats.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:15 AM, Steve5380 said:

Another questionable information from singalion that I did let pass is the idea that saturated fats are harmful.  This is an old opinion that is being debunked. Saturated fats don't seem to increase the vascular risk of clogged vessels, they don't increase the risk of heart attack.   The real bad ones (today) seem to be the trans fats.

Yes, trans fats are recognised as harmful. Indeed they are officially banned in the USA. In fact, according to the WHO they are banned so far in 58 countries and 3.2 billion people are covered by the ban. But every health expert confirms that too much saturated fat is harmful to your health as it can indeed cause a build up of harmful cholesterol. This from Harvard Medical -

"Is saturated fat bad for you? A diet rich in saturated fats can drive up total cholesterol, and tip the balance toward more harmful LDL cholesterol, which prompts blockages to form in arteries in the heart and elsewhere in the body. For that reason, most nutrition experts recommend limiting saturated fat to under 10% of calories a day."

Using a chat room to dispense medical advice - and this refers to a number of threads on BW from various posters - can be dangerous if readers take the proffered advice as fact. A doctor or nutritionist should always give that advice. 

On 1/29/2022 at 6:08 PM, Guest Are you Nut? said:

Rank first Per gram

1)  Peacans (low in net carb 4g, high in fat 71g)

2) Brazil  (low in net carb 6g, hight in fat 88g)

3) Walnut (low in net carb 6g, hight in fat 52g) - highest in Omega 3 compared by nuts

4)  Macademia (low in net carb 7g,  high in fat 102g) - highest in monounsaturated fat compared by nuts

More relevant is the saturated fats as this is the most unhealthy for the body.

Unfortunately, you won't find any conclusive or final judgment on nuts from the experts.

The opinions all differ.

I will try to find some info from a reliable source...

On 1/30/2022 at 1:35 PM, singalion said:

By claiming Saturated Fat is unhealthy, was like saying every Stepmother is a bad person.

On 1/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, Guest huh? said:

By claiming Saturated Fat is unhealthy, was like saying every Stepmother is a bad person.

I think he means trans fat

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good

Edited by passinthenight
added link

On 1/30/2022 at 4:17 PM, passinthenight said:

Are yo trying to make excuses for him, or are you telling us that someone here doesn't even know the difference between trans fats and saturated fats? And yet he has the cheek to come here pretending to be some well-informed nutritionist to tell us which nuts are good for health and which are not? This would be an embarrassment for anyone with even any slightest sense of shame! What a JOKE for BW! 

Sure I don't know anything...

but:

Facts about saturated fats

Saturated fat is a type of dietary fat. It is one of the unhealthy fats, along with trans fat. These fats are most often solid at room temperature. Foods like butter, palm and coconut oils, cheese, and red meat have high amounts of saturated fat.

Too much saturated fat in your diet can lead to heart disease and other health problems.

How Saturated Fats Affect Your Health

Saturated fats are bad for your health in several ways:

Heart disease risk. Your body needs healthy fats for energy and other functions. But too much saturated fat can cause cholesterol to build up in your arteries (blood vessels). Saturated fats raise your LDL (bad) cholesterol. High LDL cholesterol increases your risk for heart disease and stroke.

Weight gain. Many high-fat foods such as pizza, baked goods, and fried foods have a lot of saturated fat. Eating too much fat can add extra calories to your diet and cause you to gain weight. All fats contain 9 calories per gram of fat. This is more than twice the amount found in carbohydrates and protein.

Cutting out high-fat foods can help keep your weight in check and keep your heart healthy. Staying at a healthy weight can reduce your risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems.

Anything to add???

Edited by singalion

On 1/30/2022 at 12:44 AM, Guest huh? said:

You got it right!  Congratulations for being well informed.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:11 PM, InBangkok said:

Yes, trans fats are recognised as harmful. Indeed they are officially banned in the USA. In fact, according to the WHO they are banned so far in 58 countries and 3.2 billion people are covered by the ban. But every health expert confirms that too much saturated fat is harmful to your health as it can indeed cause a build up of harmful cholesterol. This from Harvard Medical -

"Is saturated fat bad for you? A diet rich in saturated fats can drive up total cholesterol, and tip the balance toward more harmful LDL cholesterol, which prompts blockages to form in arteries in the heart and elsewhere in the body. For that reason, most nutrition experts recommend limiting saturated fat to under 10% of calories a day."

Using a chat room to dispense medical advice - and this refers to a number of threads on BW from various posters - can be dangerous if readers take the proffered advice as fact. A doctor or nutritionist should always give that advice. 

You quoted an article from Harvard Medical... 

How come you trust an article from Harvard Medical which (allegedly) supports your saying,  while you reject plainly as "quackery" other information from Harvard Medical you despise?   Did you know that David Sinclair is  is a professor of genetics and co-director of the Paul F. Glenn Center for Biology of Aging Research at Harvard Medical School ?

And I write (allegedly) because you only posted that part of the article you liked.  Here is more of it:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good

"Is saturated fat bad for you? A diet rich in saturated fats can drive up total cholesterol, and tip the balance toward more harmful LDL cholesterol, which prompts blockages to form in arteries in the heart and elsewhere in the body. For that reason, most nutrition experts recommend limiting saturated fat to under 10% of calories a day.

A handful of recent reports have muddied the link between saturated fat and heart disease. One meta-analysis of 21 studies said that there was not enough evidence to conclude that saturated fat increases the risk of heart disease, but that replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat may indeed reduce risk of heart disease."

This article at least acknowledges that saturated fats have received a bad rep,  and the idea that they are bad for the heart because of increased risk from cholesterol is... not proven.  Many other references now say the same.

Had you watched the video THE FAT LIES by Dr. Jamnadas, you would have learned how wrong doctors were in the past by demonizing fats! This has caused millions to get hurt by the crazy fad of "low fat" that replaced fat with a bunch of unhealthy damaging products.   But no,  you pooped on that video,  "quackery" you said.

OF COURSE we should limit the ingestion of saturated fats, the same as unsaturated fats.  Too much fats are bad.  This is so true about the excessive fats that lead to an excessive body mass index BMI.   A BMI = 27.7 is excessive.  Think about fats,  and bring your fat down to BMI = 25 or less.  :thumb:

On 1/30/2022 at 1:11 PM, singalion said:

Heart disease risk. Your body needs healthy fats for energy and other functions. But too much saturated fat can cause cholesterol to build up in your arteries (blood vessels). Saturated fats raise your LDL (bad) cholesterol. High LDL cholesterol increases your risk for heart disease and stroke.

Weight gain. Many high-fat foods such as pizza, baked goods, and fried foods have a lot of saturated fat. Eating too much fat can add extra calories to your diet and cause you to gain weight. All fats contain 9 calories per gram of fat. This is more than twice the amount found in carbohydrates and protein.

Cutting out high-fat foods can help keep your weight in check and keep your heart healthy. Staying at a healthy weight can reduce your risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems.

Anything to add???

You are right, but only if you make emphasis on the remark "TOO MUCH".   Didn't you do this about peanuts?

TOO MUCH saturated fat is bad.

TOO MUCH blueberries are bad.

TOO MUCH almonds are bad. 

You are also right about weight gain.  TOO MUCH weight is bad.  This is why I recommend @InBangkok to lose weight down to a reasonable BMI,  which in his case would be at a weight of 74.8 kg instead of the 83 kg he weights now.

A weight loss of 8.2 kg is not unreasonable, especially if he tries the benefits of fasting.

Edited by Steve5380

Is saturated or unsaturated fat better for health?

Grant-Tinsley-500x500-Bio.png?w=105&h=10
Medically reviewed by Grant Tinsley, PhD, Nutrition  Written by Adam Felman  Updated on January 26, 2021

The general consensus between dietitians, nutritionists, and other experts is that saturated fat is less healthful than unsaturated fat. However, the overall health impact of saturated fat remains controversial. Some researchers believe it may increase the risk of heart disease, while others believe moderate amounts might benefit overall health.

According to findings from a 2015 analysis, reducing saturated fat intake may produce a “small but potentially important” decrease in the risk for heart disease. The authors suggest that people reduce their intake of saturated fats and replace some of them with unsaturated fats.

Fat is an essential nutrient that the body needs to function fully. Fats in the diet help the body absorb vitamins and minerals and serve other vital roles. Fat stored in body tissues is critical for:

• energy storage and metabolism
  • body temperature regulation
  • insulation of the vital organs

However, a diet with too much fat can increase body weight along with a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease.

The most recent Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that adults get between 20–35%Trusted Source of their daily calories from fats. However, saturated fats should account for no more than 5–6%Trusted Source of a person’s daily calorie intake.

In this article, we look at the differences between saturated and unsaturated fat, the roles they play in the body, and which foods provide them.

Most fatty foods contain a combination of fatty acids. As such, many foods do not contain just saturated or unsaturated fats, which can make it difficult for a person to eliminate only one type.

Most health organizations and dietary experts recommendTrusted Source eating saturated fats in moderation and replacing them with unsaturated fats when possible.

The American Heart Association (AHA) strongly recommend a saturated fat intake of no more than 5–6%Trusted Source of total daily calories. This means that for an average 2000-calorie daily diet, people should consume no more than 120 calories or 13 grams (g) from saturated fats.

Some research from 2014Trusted Source and 2018Trusted Source supported a higher intake of MCT saturated fats, such as from coconut oil. However, a comprehensive 2020 analysisTrusted Source found that coconut oil intake produces higher LDL levels than vegetable oils.

People with existing heart problems should speak to a doctor before adding new saturated fats to their diet.

Researchers have studied the health effects of saturated and unsaturated fats for decades.

A 2017 scientific reviewTrusted Source reported an association between people who have heart disease or a risk of heart problems and those who consume higher amounts of saturated fats in their diet.

The researchers reported that saturated fats may increase levels of low-density lipoprotein or LDL, or “bad” cholesterol. Elevated LDL cholesterol in the blood may increase a person’s risk of heart disease.

The study authors also reported that replacing saturated fat with unsaturated fat may also bring down the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD).

However, recent research has challenged the link between

saturated fats and heart disease. A 2019 reviewTrusted Source did not record any significant effects of reducing saturated fat on people’s risk of heart disease. Trans fats, however, did increase the risk.

The jury is still out on saturated fat. While a diet containing too many saturated fats can increase body weight and the risk of CVD, it might not be as harmful as scientists once thought.

In contrast, the health benefits of unsaturated fats are well-established. The first evidence of their “heart-healthful” properties dates back to the 1960s. Researchers foundTrusted Source that people from Greece and other Mediterranean regions had a low rate of heart disease compared to other locations despite consuming a relatively high-fat diet.

Unsaturated fats help lower a person’s levels of LDL cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and build stronger cell membranes in the body. They may also help a person reduce the risk of rheumatoid arthritis, according to a 2014 study.

Nutrition experts classify fats into three main groups: Saturated, unsaturated, and trans fats.

Saturated fat

These fats have single bonds between their molecules and are “saturated” with hydrogen molecules. They tend to be solid at room temperature.

Food sources that contain high levels of saturated fat include meat and dairy products, such as:

• cheese
  • butter
  • ice-cream
  • high-fat cuts of meat
  • coconut oil
  • palm oil

A 2015 meta-analysis found that medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) might be the most healthful type of saturated fat. Coconut, for example, provides plenty of MCTs.

Unsaturated fat

Unsaturated fats contain one or more double or triple bonds between the molecules. These fats are liquid at room temperature in oil form. They also occur in solid foods.

This group breaks down further into two categories, called monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats.

Dietary sources of unsaturated fats include:

• avocados and avocado oil
  • olives and olive oil
  • peanut butter and peanut oil
  • vegetable oils, such as sunflower, corn, or canola
  • fatty fish, such as salmon and mackerel
  • nuts and seeds, such as almonds, peanuts, cashews, and sesame seeds

Mediterranean diets are typically high fat but have links to good heart health.

Trans fat

These fats take a liquid form that converts to solid fats during food processing techniques.

Some meats and dairy products contain small amounts of trans fats, but they play a role in processed foods.

However, since 2015, the Food and Drug AdministrationTrusted Source (FDA) has taken steps to eliminate partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs), a significant source of trans fats, from processed food. Manufacturers had until the beginning of 2020 to stop adding PHOs to their food products.

Examples of food products that may still contain trans fats include cookies, crackers, doughnuts, and fried foods. However, trans fats are becoming less and less present.

Share on Pintere

On 1/30/2022 at 1:35 PM, singalion said:

On 1/31/2022 at 3:13 AM, singalion said:

Trans fats are even worse than saturated fats. 

Better not to entertain the trolls!

First, saturated fats is "most" unhealthy; Then all of a sudden, trans fats are even "worse". You really have no clue what you are talking about before you shoot your mouth off, have you?

Just shut up and stop pretending that you know anything already, OK? Pasting long articles from the web all over this forum doesn't make you intelligent at all.  

On 1/30/2022 at 3:07 PM, singalion said:

Is saturated or unsaturated fat better for health?

Grant-Tinsley-500x500-Bio.png?w=105&h=10
Medically reviewed by Grant Tinsley, PhD, Nutrition  Written by Adam Felman  Updated on January 26, 2021

You are right that there is still this unresolved dilemma.

The best way to deal with it is to eat in moderation and do intermittent fasting and occasionally some longer term fasting.  In this way, we keep a healthy heart, unconcerned about cholesterol, and whichever of these two fats we ingest, we keep burning them off while we fast. 

( it is like a dilemma of which octane of gas we should put in our car.  If we drive in moderation, without demanding high power from the engine, we can avoid knocking and it may not hurt if we use a fuel of lower octane than what the manufacturer recommends ) 

In the latest AARP magazine I read an article:  "When the Doc says 'Diabetes".

We are close to a epidemic of diabetes type 2 in America.  This article is also on the web:

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/tips-for-managing-diabetes.html

"7 Ways to Improve or Prevent Diabetes".    Included here are some motherhood recommendations of eating less and exercising more.  Also: 7. Let the meds come as needed.

WHAT??   Thank you, thank you meds, welcome,  please come into my body to help me with diabetes ????

In this long article, NOT A SINGLE WORD  about FASTING! 

This world is full of ignorance and misinformation.  Fasting is probably the best, more effective way for an obese person with diabetes to lose weight and recover their sensitivity to insulin.  Fasting has been practiced since ancient times.  But would modern people, Americans, do it?   Oh no!  It must be DANGEROUS to let the body pass more than a few hours without nutrition.  It could stop and die, of course!  Like a traditional car that can run out of gasoline and stop dead. 

LOL!  This must be as smart as the recommendation for a long drive:  stop at every gas station to keep your gas tank full so you won't run out. :lol:

Such ignorance!  People don't realize that when we run out of the food processed by our digestive system,  we have a VAST reserve of fat fuel.   And they don't know that if they... if they would just DARE to try some fasting,  they would find that there is nothing wrong with it,  it is tolerable, it works!

My fellow BW gays,  if you ever over the years run into problems of overweight and pre-diabetes,  don't let the good medical establishment bind you into a lifelong regime of insulin injections and drugs.

Edited by Steve5380

On 2/1/2022 at 5:39 AM, Steve5380 said:

In the latest AARP magazine I read an article:  "When the Doc says 'Diabetes".

We are close to a epidemic of diabetes type 2 in America.  This article is also on the web:

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/tips-for-managing-diabetes.html

"7 Ways to Improve or Prevent Diabetes".    Included here are some motherhood recommendations of eating less and exercising more.  Also: 7. Let the meds come as needed.

WHAT??   Thank you, thank you meds, welcome,  please come into my body to help me with diabetes ????

In this long article, NOT A SINGLE WORD  about FASTING! 

This world is full of ignorance and misinformation. 

Let's get this straight. The AARP (American Association of Retired People) is America's leading organisation for people over 50. It makes recommendations on a variety of subjects to help older people enjoy a meaningful retirement, including on health.

Yet one old member of BW trashes its findings because he has decided these findings are wrong! 

Trashing is a not uncommon feature of posts here on BW. But this 78 year old man believes the AARP recommendations are basically "ignorance and misinformation". I am sure BW members will make their own conclusions.

On 1/31/2022 at 7:02 PM, InBangkok said:

Trashing is a not uncommon feature of posts here on BW. But this 78 year old man believes the AARP recommendations are basically "ignorance and misinformation". I am sure BW members will make their own conclusions.

This member knows what he is talking about.

Because he has consistently trashed half a dozen excellent videos by experts in longevity, nutrition, prevention of dementia, etc,  which were posted here expressly to keep fellow gays informed about the possibilities of having a better life. 

And as a BM member and an AARP member I do make my own conclusions, based on solid evidence.

Although longer term fasting is discouraged for people with diabetes because it can cause hypoglycemia  (too little sugar in the blood ) there is an increased recognition that intermittent fasting can be of benefits to diabetics.

But the article in AARP fails to say anything about fasting,  a real omission.   Contrary to what an extensive trasher writes here,  I don't have anything bad to say about anything else of AARP.  I like its magazine and its "bulletin", which I receive periodically.  It has some very good articles about topics that interests us seniors.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:28 AM, Steve5380 said:

You are right that there is still this unresolved dilemma.

It is not a dilemma.  There are good and bad saturated fat.  You need to know which one comes from which natural sources and more healthy.  Why was it no one knows?

On 1/31/2022 at 8:32 PM, Guest Gosh said:

It is not a dilemma.  There are good and bad saturated fat.  You need to know which one comes from which natural sources and more healthy.  Why was it no one knows?

You are right.  The saturated fat coming from lacteous products like egg, yogurt, cottage cheese may be healthier than the saturated fat in bacon, barbecued pig heads  (Cubans like this),  etc.  The differences here, more than the fat itself, is what comes WITH the fat.

Edited by Steve5380

Today I found a video by the Indian wise man Sadhguru, which I liked very much.

"Were We Really Created by God"   LOL!  This man is definitively not a believer.  He is referring not to religion, but PHILOSOPY.

He praises ignorance,  and I am 100% in agreement.  I am enjoying my ignorance every time more. :) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.