Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, what is the best time to take Whey Protein, BCAA and Creatine?

30-60 mins before workout: Whey

During workout: BCAA

After workout: Whey + Creatine

Will this be the correct way?

"Go out looking like you want to be seen - reliable, respectable; A man who can deliver, not one of the boys"

4 hours ago, duhdoy said:

Firstly, nutrient timing is quite over-rated in your scenario. If you are doing repeated bouts of exercise, then perhaps it might be of critical value. Recent evidence do not support much usage of BCAA. Spend your money on whey if you want to. Creatine can be taken before or after workout. If your concern is about gaining bulk/muscle, then you need to eat more and workout more. I am surprised that you are not looking at glycogen repletion after workout. You also can get your protein/carbs sources from meals. I would rather you look into the exercises you do as well. If you supplement here and there without even going through a rigorous training regime using exercises involving major muscle groups (squats, deadlifts, etc), don't bother..because end of the day, you won't be creating sufficient stimulus for muscles to grow.

Reference:

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0189-4 (nutrient timing)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/#!po=34.6154 (nutrient timing)

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-4-6 (Creatine)

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9 (BCAA)

Follow me at http://instagram.com/ytraymond =)

13 hours ago, duhdoy said:

I wonder how relevant all this timing is.  Unless you are taking these products through an IV directly into the bloodstream, the time to digest them taken by mouth and have them reach the muscles must be factored in, unless you have a super fast system...

9 hours ago, xydboy said:

Firstly, nutrient timing is quite over-rated in your scenario. If you are doing repeated bouts of exercise, then perhaps it might be of critical value. Recent evidence do not support much usage of BCAA. Spend your money on whey if you want to. Creatine can be taken before or after workout. If your concern is about gaining bulk/muscle, then you need to eat more and workout more. I am surprised that you are not looking at glycogen repletion after workout. You also can get your protein/carbs sources from meals. I would rather you look into the exercises you do as well. If you supplement here and there without even going through a rigorous training regime using exercises involving major muscle groups (squats, deadlifts, etc), don't bother..because end of the day, you won't be creating sufficient stimulus for muscles to grow.

Reference:

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0189-4 (nutrient timing)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/#!po=34.6154 (nutrient timing)

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-4-6 (Creatine)

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9 (BCAA)

What is the correct way of taking it then? I exercise at least 5 days a week.

"Go out looking like you want to be seen - reliable, respectable; A man who can deliver, not one of the boys"

On 9/24/2017 at 9:49 PM, heliumduck said:

What good does it do to this guy to have some more muscles,  when all that facial hair and ponytail make him look so ugly?

His belly does not help either.  He should do more exercises to tighten the core.

3 minutes ago, duhdoy said:

What is the correct way of taking it then? I exercise at least 5 days a week.

Its not about correct way or wrong way. Like i've mentioned, the timing don't really matter for your case, unless you are talking about working out 2 sessions in a day, which is unlikely. What matters is that you take them. Simplistically, you can do the following: 1)  take whey before and after, creatine before or after, 2) take whey before, take normal food after, creatine before or after, 3) take normal food before and after, creatine before or after. I strongly urge you to look into your exercises, refer to the past chat or do a search on it in this forum. Questions on what exercises to do have been asked repeatedly and answers have been posted repeatedly. 

5 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Its not about correct way or wrong way. Like i've mentioned, the timing don't really matter for your case, unless you are talking about working out 2 sessions in a day, which is unlikely. What matters is that you take them. Simplistically, you can do the following: 1)  take whey before and after, creatine before or after, 2) take whey before, take normal food after, creatine before or after, 3) take normal food before and after, creatine before or after. I strongly urge you to look into your exercises, refer to the past chat or do a search on it in this forum. Questions on what exercises to do have been asked repeatedly and answers have been posted repeatedly. 

Okie, thank you so much!! :)

7 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

What good does it do to this guy to have some more muscles,  when all that facial hair and ponytail make him look so ugly?

His belly does not help either.  He should do more exercises to tighten the core.

https://www.instagram.com/fitness_iq/

His deadlift of 675lbs shows that he has weak core muscles? On top of that he has ripped abs. He needs to tighten the core..like seriously?

I recovered from a chronic back injury and have been practicing on my forms. 

My current weights are

100kg/100kg/127.5kg for

Squats benchpress deadlifts

While my back is not hurting, my knees sometimes feels slight pain (think the feet angle, still trying to get use to it)

If my goal is 

140/120/160kg 

Would it be recommended to get belts, etc?

For belts, should i get leather or the basic kinds? 

Edit: I'm doing stronglifts

Edited by Perception

28 minutes ago, Perception said:

I recovered from a chronic back injury and have been practicing on my forms. 

My current weights are

100kg/100kg/127.5kg for

Squats benchpress deadlifts

While my back is not hurting, my knees sometimes feels slight pain (think the feet angle, still trying to get use to it)

If my goal is 

140/120/160kg 

Would it be recommended to get belts, etc?

For belts, should i get leather or the basic kinds? 

Edit: I'm doing stronglifts

Might need to check your form for me to point out the root cause of the knee pain. For heavy lifts, especially when you are hitting PRs, it would be advisable to use belts, just in case your hollowing or bracing isn't held on well. As for the type of belts, just try on and see what suits you. Most importantly its the comfort level. Traditionally its leather for me. But it falls down to your own comfort zone. 

PS: If you are at NUS, try heading down to UTown gym. There will be lots of people who do heavy squats there. Useful to have a second eye from there and also spotter if required.

Edited by xydboy

15 hours ago, xydboy said:

His deadlift of 675lbs shows that he has weak core muscles? On top of that he has ripped abs. He needs to tighten the core..like seriously?

I didn't see any deadlift with 675 lbs.  He has ripped abs, and a lot of flesh around his waist.

Where he makes some bent rows in the video with an unloaded bar,  his tummy shows rather large.

Maybe his problem is to be overbuilt, which is hard to remedy. 

Many bodybuilders fail to realize that beauty is not in big muscles but in nice proportions.

9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I didn't see any deadlift with 675 lbs.  He has ripped abs, and a lot of flesh around his waist.

Where he makes some bent rows in the video with an unloaded bar,  his tummy shows rather large.

Maybe his problem is to be overbuilt, which is hard to remedy. 

Many bodybuilders fail to realize that beauty is not in big muscles but in nice proportions.

I think its his body, if he feels that it is good enough, who are we to judge? *shrugs*

Above is the link to his deadlift. If his video shows a substantial ability to lift that heavy, I do not think there is much to remedy given his following results in championships. Lets have a look at his past performance, which gives more credibility on his ability to control his deeper muscles and also an indicator of strength component. Given his weight (in lbs) was about 182.6kg (if my conversions were correct) then, his 1RM squats and bench are 3x and 1.8x his body weight. In comparison to average athletes, which are on average 1.5x and 1x body weight for squats and bench respectively. In terms of game changing scores for squats, bench and deadlift, that is significantly a lot, especially deadlift which is 3.4x. Although one might argue it was the scores based on last year. Lets have a look at recent numbers. At present with his current weight of 195 lbs, that makes his deadlift of 3.5x. The strength in the global core muscles are still present, in fact improved a little from 3.4x to 3.5x though not a significant improvement in comparison with his 2014 to 2015 scores. Considering his athletic level, the improvements gets lesser and lesser with the principle of diminishing returns. I think its enough said on his performance indicators and also his ability to recruit the core muscle fibres. Not to mentioned his medal tally: http://newbreedphysiques.com/about/

I question the validity and reliability of using visual inspection to determine the activity of the core muscle which are in the deep layer. Doesn't seem to be able to reflect much when compared with actual data. What you observe could have been his layers of fat, which most probably would be the case when one hinge/bend, it protrudes out. It has nothing to do with his core muscles.

Edited by xydboy

20 hours ago, Perception said:

@xydboy Thanks for your advice. I'm thinking of getting valeo gym belt. Do you think lifting straps are necessary? 

I do workout at Utown gym, and trying to follow the heavy squatters.

You could if you want to. Depending on your grip that you use. If you have been using hooked grip, I think it would not be an issue. But again its based on your comfort level.

• 2 weeks later...

Need advice!

I am a 52 yr old man and had workout in Gym for 9 months almost 3x a week for 1-1.5hrs. Instead of building muscle, I loose weight and all my friends said,  Hey what happened to u.

Height-1.65

Weight-59kg (previous 65kg)

I am not sure where did it went wrong. I can feel I am stronger "able to lift more weights than before" but no visible muscle results.

Some says not possible to gain muscle when u reach this age because of Testosterone aging.

Just couldn't accept this facts. Pls advice.

23 minutes ago, lycb2012 said:

Need advice!

I am a 52 yr old man and had workout in Gym for 9 months almost 3x a week for 1-1.5hrs. Instead of building muscle, I loose weight and all my friends said,  Hey what happened to u.

Height-1.65

I am not sure where did it went wrong. I can feel I am stronger "able to lift more weights than before" but no visible muscle results.

Some says not possible to gain muscle when u reach this age because of Testosterone aging.

Have you even been eating enough? It would be difficult to put on weight if you are in energy deficit to begin with.

4 hours ago, xydboy said:

Have you even been eating enough? It would be difficult to put on weight if you are in energy deficit to begin with.

I ate 2pcs bread and coffee for bff/ lunch mixed rice or brown rice with chicken breast meat/ dinner noodles or milk with cornflakes. I think I wrongly but have no idea how to go about it. I am a work class man, like most SG. Not able to prepare those gym meals I saw in YouTube. Or I need workout supplement to assist.

6 minutes ago, lycb2012 said:

I ate 2pcs bread and coffee for bff/ lunch mixed rice or brown rice with chicken breast meat/ dinner noodles or milk with cornflakes. I think I wrongly but have no idea how to go about it. I am a work class man, like most SG. Not able to prepare those gym meals I saw in YouTube. Or I need workout supplement to assist.

Xyboy thanks for your response miss out.

6 hours ago, lycb2012 said:

You need to count the calories to be exact. Saying this won';t help because we won't know how big/small the bread is, how big/small the bowl is, etc. And also have you been keeping track of your exercise program? What did you do for this period. It all matters. Only when you document them down will you know what went wrong.

11 hours ago, lycb2012 said:

Need advice!

Height-1.65

Don't worry.  First, make sure you are in good health (weight loss can be a consequence of illness).

If in good health, keep up with heavy weight lifting ("heavy" is something relative to the capacity of your body).

OF COURSE you can keep gaining muscle at 52!  I am more than twenty years older and I keep gaining some muscle.

Make sure you do your weight lifting in good form and efficiently.  Learn about it (books, internet) and maybe get professional advice.

Strength and looks don't always go together. You may be gaining strength and muscle without realizing it.

Learn a lot about good nutrition.  Bread, rice, noodles, cornflakes don't sound like optimum nutrition.  Chicken does.

Try oats, eggs, beans or LENTILS with vegetables, sweet potatoes, nuts, avocados, water melons, etc. etc., even whey protein...

Don't stuff yourself and trade a healthy slim body for the hope of exhibiting some muscles here and there.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, superman888 said:

I just take whey protein. Would like to add creatine. Any recommended brand? Now fat at 12%. But muscle not growing...

Work on your strength training regime first. Most of the time people are too caught up with their supplementation "program" rather than their training program. If you don't workout hard enough, no amount of supplementation would be sufficient. try to incorporate the compound exercise (refer to google or the posts mentioned earlier in this thread).

On 10/22/2017 at 12:31 PM, xydboy said:

You could if you want to. Depending on your grip that you use. If you have been using hooked grip, I think it would not be an issue. But again its based on your comfort level.

hook grip

you can get straps when your grip gets burnt out, or the versa grips type of palm sleeves
dont use hook grip for the big 3 la.... you need all of the grip to keep the bar where you want it to be
which is not drop-on-myself

So beetroot juice is good for endurance?

I love beets, and I add them to the onions and green vegetables when I cook lentils.

But from what I read, I will instead blend them raw and drink as a juice.

Maybe it will even slow down my dementia and erectile dysfunction ?  :lol:

Guest Turning to hunk

Those who have abs (who have low body fat) what did you do to achieve it? Is it really necessary to count daily intake and calorie to ensure that the body burns more than what is going in? Is cardio everyday necessary?

Guest Burn the fats
54 minutes ago, Guest :-( said:

Go bmt! 

That was how I got my 6pack and a well defined bod

Been there done that. That's because you exercise everyday from morning till night so you're burning fats every minute. Not possible when you start working and career takes up every second of your life. 

3 hours ago, trumpeter said:

Have to reduce ur fats intake n make the total fats less than 10% to see the define abs

Actually, you should be reducing carbohydrates intake, and not fat, to go into ketogenic mode. Carbohydrate intake trigger you to store fats, while fats intake gets burn off.

On 12/23/2017 at 1:53 PM, Guest Turning to hunk said:

Those who have abs (who have low body fat) what did you do to achieve it? Is it really necessary to count daily intake and calorie to ensure that the body burns more than what is going in? Is cardio everyday necessary?

You need to count your calorie intake and put a deficit of about 15% of your daily required calories (in otherwords just eat up to 85% of total daily required). I did not consider calories from carbs any different as compared to calories from fats or protein, just make sure the numbers are as accurate as possible. Cardio every other day is good enough if you want fast results, lets say 3-6 months? Otherwise, cardio once a week is good enough. Just FYI a 3km run will only expend you 150-200 kcalories, that is not even a hamburger hence you need to watch what you put into your body. You will see the abs once your body fat drops to a certain low percentage.... and most importantly don't give up!

On 12/24/2017 at 9:34 PM, Sibelius said:

You need to count your calorie intake and put a deficit of about 15% of your daily required calories (in otherwords just eat up to 85% of total daily required). I did not consider calories from carbs any different as compared to calories from fats or protein, just make sure the numbers are as accurate as possible. Cardio every other day is good enough if you want fast results, lets say 3-6 months? Otherwise, cardio once a week is good enough. Just FYI a 3km run will only expend you 150-200 kcalories, that is not even a hamburger hence you need to watch what you put into your body. You will see the abs once your body fat drops to a certain low percentage.... and most importantly don't give up!

Its all about cutting calories. Having a deficit of 300-700 calories a day would be required if one's goal is to lose weight. The deficit can comes from either through diet or exercise (energy expenditure).

I chance upon a Powerlifting reddit comment which says that SL5x5 is a bad programme for lifting heavier bench press. 

To my knowledge, SL5x5 has been a solid, successful, popular programme. 

Is this true for powerlifters or is SL5x5 outdated in general ?

Edited by Perception

4 hours ago, Perception said:

I chance upon a Powerlifting reddit comment which says that SL5x5 is a bad programme for lifting heavier bench press. 

To my knowledge, SL5x5 has been a solid, successful, popular programme. 

Is this true for powerlifters or is SL5x5 outdated in general ?

Bad because?

Guest deadliftqns

How many rep and set of deadlift should one do?

I seen a number of gymers doing 6 sets of 10 rep, but online workout portal stated 3x5 will do.

how heavy should we lift and should stop increasing weights? I currently stuck at 80kg and can't seem to progress further.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:50 PM, Guest deadliftqns said:

How many rep and set of deadlift should one do?

I seen a number of gymers doing 6 sets of 10 rep, but online workout portal stated 3x5 will do.

how heavy should we lift and should stop increasing weights? I currently stuck at 80kg and can't seem to progress further.

It depends on your goal. One should not just use a cookie cutter method in fitness. Its like saying we train all runners the same way and expect the same outcome. It depends on what you want to achieve. For strength, you can work towards the low repetition counts, for hypertrophy or muscle growth, you work towards 8-12 reps. Sets wise, 3-4 would be a safe option for starters/novice. This is the same for all exercise, it doesn't differ a leg press from a squat.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:50 PM, Guest deadliftqns said:

The answer to this is not simple.  It seems that our musculature benefits from being called to make efforts. Muscles cannot grow forever, and it is questionable how good would this be.  If you periodically do heavy workouts without injury you are doing good to your body, wherever this leads to. To reach a plateau is common and nothing to worry about. When and if the body is ready the plateau will be exceeded. Meanwhile, the muscles will be at their best and ready to perform when called upon. As adults we plateau in many things, physical and mental.  This is a problem only to those who have unmet expectations and have ambitions to reach them.  Like  professional bodybuilders who want to be champions.  Usually there is a price to pay and a benefit to gain, and this is a personal decision. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.