Male HQ

Body Building Protein & Health Supplements Discussion (Compiled)

Tight Ass

I think a good place to start is to read the sticky thread on HWZ's Health and Fitness Corner.

http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com.sg/health-fitness-corner-48/beginners-bible-bodybuilding-supplements-fat-loss-newbies-pls-read-3419226.html

to be honest, the stickies arent good for beginners, first timers prob only understand 10% of what they are saying.

only after you have gym for awhile then go back and read again and it will make sense.

i take BSN lean dessert protein shake to supplement my daily cardio exercise. My fave flavors are Choco Coconut Candy Bar and Banana Fudge.

its not only gymmers need to take protein.

ppl who workout regularly thru running, swimming etc

ppl who go for less carbo, high protein diet

older ppl who is suffering my muscle loss due to ageing sld also take more protein

i take every other day when i feel like. its not a daily affair for me as i m not going to bulk up.

i buy from iherb.com and for first time, pls use referal code VUK879 for US10 discount.

I was using ON for many years then Ultimate Nutrition Prostar Whey was heavily on promo (cheaper than ON that time) so i changed to that brand and stay with it ever since. Somehow i think its a little bit better than ON in terms of taste and nutritional content overall.

Since you're a beginner, the best advice is to research on your diet with a clear goal in mind. Read up on all your macro nutrients and how much protein/carbs/fats u need per day. Once that's done, get any whey protein that fits your budget. If you're looking for one with carbs, get mass gainers, but look at the sugar and fats contents. I'll recommend on pro complex. If you're looking for a cleaner source, there's a hell lot of low carb whey protein. Just choose one that fits your budget. For me, I just choose the cheapest whey available locally which is mutant whey. I'll rather save the money by not buying a pricier protein and use it for real food or creatine.

If you are trying to gain mass, would having supper helps or is it advisable not to?

some said if ur daily calories intake is less than required, taking supper wont make u fat.

some said ur body needs food to burn n repair when u sleep therefore the protein shake but i also wonder, can it applies to supper that we eat? lol

i still eat like 2 hrs before i sleep as i exercise late n i feel hungry after. so far, no weight gain and body fat hovers between 10-11%

I'm 184 77 21. This makes my protein needs really high. It is often difficult to achieve sufficient protein intake thus protein shakes are supplementary. Any tips to get bigger arms? I feel like my lower body has more than enough mass but my upper body is still on the slim side. 

if i take Amino Acids... do i still need to take the protein shake?

"Success has nothing to do with what you Gain or Accomplish for Yourself.
It's What You have Done for Others."
"Development of a country has nothing to do with High Economic Growth Rates,

Its about to what extent have Human Life in the country been Enriched."

By Myself ~~~

Haha. The common qn is the other way around, if I'm taking whey, do I still need amino acids. Whey protein is just a staple protein(can be replaced by whole food). Amino acids(either bcaa or eaa) are an addition. But there's still alot of dispute of whether u actually need them. For me, I've been using bcaa for a few months, but I'm trying to cut on them to cut cost. So now I'm only using them pre and maybe intra when I'm training fasted or training for a longer time to prevent catabolism. Might even stop using them entirely. Any other ppl have views on bcaa/eaa?

So if i take Amino Acids... could I dun take Protein Shake? 

By the Way .... how long can we keep our Sports Supplements? Is it ok to take them, even the expiry date is over?

By Myself ~~~

Haha. The question is, y are u even considering amino acids ahead of protein lol. I would say no, get a protein supplement before amino. Unless u have your protein sources from real food covered throughout the day, and importantly pre and post workout nutrition, then ok, u can skip a protein supplement though it baffles me as to why u choose an amino supp in the first place. Haha. But then again, it also depends on the type of training u are undergoing and your goals to determine whether amino acids will be useful for u. If you're just heading to the gym to lift a few weights, then amino acids would be a waste of money in my opinion.

those who train at gym....dont u afraid one day, u cant follow up w your gym schedule, u will become fat looking?

for most some gays, part of the reasons to go gym is to look at other guys and get laid, so they will still be motivated. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Would you guys continue to drink protein shakes even when you realise that it's causing you acne breakouts?

I have been pretty tempted to start drinking mass gain / protein shakes to help build up my body but sadly, based on previous experiences, I will tend to have acne breakouts more frequently if I do so. Just thought that I'd get some opinions on this dilemma I have... and if anyone experiences the same thing?

For now, I would prefer to prevent as much damage as I can to my face, though the desire for a bigger body is quite tantalising.

Replace your protein shake with real food then. Shakes are useful but it doesn't determine getting a bigger body. Essentially, it's still protein albeit the fact that it's broken down further for absorption whether it's isolates, hydro or concentrates. Knowing your different types of protein sources can replace shakes. Shakes are for convenience and highly recommended, but not a necessity.

Protein shakes caused your urine to turn yellow and your @#% smelly.

It also makes you look more aggressive(manly).

Try to replace it with natural protein like egg white.

But you have to consume 6 to 9 eggs(boiled, poached, fried) on a daily basis.

Would you guys continue to drink protein shakes even when you realise that it's causing you acne breakouts?

I have been pretty tempted to start drinking mass gain / protein shakes to help build up my body but sadly, based on previous experiences, I will tend to have acne breakouts more frequently if I do so. Just thought that I'd get some opinions on this dilemma I have... and if anyone experiences the same thing?

For now, I would prefer to prevent as much damage as I can to my face, though the desire for a bigger body is quite tantalising.

I supposed you mean whey as protein shakes, which I dont think is as heaty as mass gainers which contains more calories. Therefore if you consume on days  not at the gym, try to drink more water also, else you get heaty, and heaty may result in more pimples popping out. But thats usually only true for people who are acne-prone. just my point of  view.

Duh... Do u guys know that amino acids and protein are the same stuff? Protein is made up of long-chain molecules which are actually combinations of many amino acid molecules! Dun simply fall for those marketing tactics. Sheesh....

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

I beg to differ man. Yes, protein contains your bcaas and your eaas. But bcaa/eaa supp by itself are in the free form and there are studies which shows that bcaas do help protein synthesis and other beneficial effects to bodybuilding. So yes, bcaas are helpful with the right ratio and quantity. But are bcaas really necessary? That depends, if it's out of your budget, no it won't be necessary. But if it's something u can afford, yes, it does help.

Edited by ash12

So if we do take protein shakes after the workout...

when should we take the Amino Acids? before the workout? during the work out? or after the workout?

Do we need to take Amino Acids on days we are not working out? 

Do we need to take protein shakes on days we are not working out?

By Myself ~~~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys.

juz wondering. i'm planning on getting vitamin supplements due to inconsistency in my diet. more specifically, i'm planning on getting vitamins A,B,C and E. are there any recommendations? i've seen some recommendations on guardian/watsons, while some on iherb. thanks!

Hi guys.

juz wondering. i'm planning on getting vitamin supplements due to inconsistency in my diet. more specifically, i'm planning on getting vitamins A,B,C and E. are there any recommendations? i've seen some recommendations on guardian/watsons, while some on iherb. thanks!

A gentle reminder, just like panadols don't work for everyone some supplements may not work for you, too even though it is generally consumed by many people. Perhaps it would be wise to see a nutritionist since your need is to attend to your diet issue. Vitamin A,B,C and E are common supplements.

Just my 2cents.  

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

A gentle reminder, just like panadols don't work for everyone some supplements may not work for you, too even though it is generally consumed by many people. Perhaps it would be wise to see a nutritionist since your need is to attend to your diet issue. Vitamin A,B,C and E are common supplements.

Just my 2cents.  

Good advice from iamziz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi all, 

Sorry for digging out this old thread.

I read about some of the multivitamins suggestions on this thread and I will like to add them as a supplement. However, I don't like to swallow pills. My friend got me multivitamins before and they are huge. Had a hard time swallowing and hated the feeling like they are stuck at my throat. Landed up not taking them and it went past the expiry date. 

Do you have any recommendations on multivitamins that are smaller in size and easy to swallow. 

Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...
Guest gym bulk up

I had take few types of mass gainer. Personally I like muscle juice the most. The taste just nice and is economic. I like to take it during morning and after work out.Can see result within few months if work hard for gym.

I having dymatize

Elite 100% whey protein..

Found it easy desolve and provide energy all along workout.

Looking for protein that pump up my muscle.

Any recommend ?

There is already a similar topic in the Main forum just few topics ahead of your question.

Please learn how to use the search (top right) function before posting.

• 7 months later...

Hey there, I'm interested in trying out protein shakes/powder but I do not know what to get and where to get? x.x It would be lovely if there were anyone of you who would like to help out! What should a skinny-yet-somewhat-muscular guy with high metabolism get. Yes, I eat a lot by the way - especially meat (love me some meat heheh) But I've grown very slightly the past 1 year. Much appreciated! :) 

Most reputable protein powder works well actually. Personally, I use Optimum Nutrition as it's my favourite. It's a little pricier than others ($85 for 2.5kg) but I feel like it's a quality product that I can trust.

Everyone has a different way of consuming protein, but one quick way to increase your calorie count is by drinking your protein shake with skim milk. Fairprice has regular promotions for Devondale or Emborg long life milk (2 litres for 2.95) which is fairly cheap. I roughly get through 3 litres of milk per week, drinking 200ml each time with my protein shake.

Also, get them online from fitlion.com or nutritionpark.com for a better deal.

Hope this helps. :)

19 hours ago, Kannibal said:

Hey there, I'm interested in trying out protein shakes/powder but I do not know what to get and where to get? x.x It would be lovely if there were anyone of you who would like to help out! What should a skinny-yet-somewhat-muscular guy with high metabolism get. Yes, I eat a lot by the way - especially meat (love me some meat heheh) But I've grown very slightly the past 1 year. Much appreciated! :) 

Have you been working out? Taking an increase amount of protein would not bring you as far in terms of muscle protein synthesis unless its accompanied with regular physical activity

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.