Male HQ

Body Building Protein & Health Supplements Discussion (Compiled)

Tight Ass

• 2 weeks later...

Bought weight gainer once and didn't really fancy the taste. Furthermore I don't see any effects from it. Currently I've been consuming whey protein. It's a better choice and you can see the difference if you hit the gym or cardio workout. If you're on a tight budget then I suggest to consume full cream milk. It helps to bulk you up but at a slower rate. GNC products can be very pricy and usually I buy my protein from nutrifirst. Way cheaper. I'm on gold standard whey protein anw.. Hope this helps :)

811Y D1R19U11IA

Is it a must to hit the gym to be able to gain mass/muscles?

Is it possible to achieve those by just doing pushups at home?

Same question. I've been doing home/outdoor (for jogging) exercises (mainly pushups and dumbbell exercises) and I'm building chest and arm muscles, though I haven't weighed myself yet weeks after I'm doing the workout routine, but the bulk is there.

Also, would going to the gym be more efficient because there are facilities which could improve weight (or more likely muscle mass) gain than at home or almost the same as long as proper routine is followed?

I also jog everyday for the purpose of burning fats (especially belly) and improving my cardio. I do the pushups and stuff every other day (like 3-4 times a week). I'm also consuming 1 litre of soy milk everyday. Am I messing up my lifestyle or it's good to go?

"Listen -- are you living just a little and calling it life?"

Mary Oliver

What I feel is that we should be consuming our proteins from the food we eat, and not really from protein supplements.

The thing is that we need energy for exercising and gymming and our primary energy source is carbohydrates and not proteins. Thus if we consume too much protein as energy in our diet, it is possible that our fat cells and muscles may break down to provide us with energy, which is not desirable, especially if our muscles were to break down to provide us with energy. However, this will only happen in extreme cases when one does not consume enough carbohydrates in their diet. Basically, carbohydrates should contribute around 45% to 60% of our energy intake and proteins should only take up around 15% to 25% (64g).

Also, overconsumption of protein will lead to a strain in the kidney as most of the dietary proteins are not stored in our body; thus all unused proteins will be processed in the liver and eventually be eliminated in our urine. This will definitely increase the workload of our kidneys which will cause detrimental effects such as increase risk in developing kidney failure. Additionally, excess proteins can also be stored as fats in our body, which is also undesirable.

In all, just consume proteins from our diet and it should suffice, even if you are gymming every other day.

Lots of comments that are packed with useful information here, haha.

Even i myself sometimes still wonder which supplement to take to increase my body mass & musc mass. I do realise that i manage to gain weight from 67kg to 73kg by increasing my meal from 3 to 6meals a day. But cutting down the meals as i realise i gained some fats too, lol (Finally)

Don't just plainly depend on supplement, maybe from your meals too. Your muscle grows when 10% workout, 90% when what food goes into your body? Haha.

Will be glad to receive some pro's guidence too, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some protein powder from my friend to try out. I add 3-4 spoon of protein powder to 500-600 ml of high protein chocolate milk. I will drink the whole thing in the course of jogging and/or gymming, but hours after drinking the concoction, I will Pass out chocolate milk... no shit smell... it smells just like hot chocolate. I know it is not diarrhoea, it is just chocolate milk... I wonder if there something wrong?

MAKING LOVE HELPS TO STRENGTHEN BONDS ^_^

protein powder + high protein chocolate milk? I think your body cannot absorb that much and it just throws it out again. You don't really need it for jogging (not even hardcore running) to be honest since it's just cardio. Not sure if you're supposed to drink during the exercise (before or after) but maybe that doesn't matter.

Instagram | @sodamnsonni

Twitter | @sosonni

I got some protein powder from my friend to try out. I add 3-4 spoon of protein powder to 500-600 ml of high protein chocolate milk. I will drink the whole thing in the course of jogging and/or gymming, but hours after drinking the concoction, I will Pass out chocolate milk... no shit smell... it smells just like hot chocolate. I know it is not diarrhoea, it is just chocolate milk... I wonder if there something wrong?

Most Asians are Lactose intolerant, so you might be one of the Asians.

Your body can only process that certain amount of protein within a few hours. If I remember correctly I read that maximum about 40-45g of protein in about 2 hours. The rest they'll just expel out from the body.

Too much protein in the day can give you back (kidney) pains too. Take note. Don't over eat it.

tumblr_m3l60d7jv21qbyxr0o1_500.gif

r u using the default scoop that comes with the tub or just a standard tablespoon from your kitchen?

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg

2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights

154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg

70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As the title suggest , I'm a beginner . It will be my first time buying protein powder to build up muscles . But there are too many choices . Maybe the gym pro might wanna help me ? Thanks guys !!

Honestly, protein shouldn't be the main worry. Although it's important as a quick source after workouts or in the morning, it's not as important as your macro nutrients. Well, anw to break it down the 2 popular forms are whey concentrates and isolates. Isolates are a purer form but cost twice as much. So would only suggest getting them if u have the means for it. If not, normal whey concentrate should be fine. The difference wouldn't be that drastic. As for the profile, it depends on your aim. If you're looking to gain lean muscles/cut, get one with lower/zero carbs/fats. But u can always load in some milk/dextrose if you're looking for some simple carbs in your shakes.

Well, I could go on for ages regarding this coz there's too many stuff involved. To cut it short, get one which doesn't burn a hole in your pocket and a taste that u like( if u still have any taste buds, lost mine some time ago already). There isn't a miracle protein which works twice as good as another brand and the ppl endorsing them don't get that big just by consuming protein powder. So yea, don't fret too much about it. Instead, take some time to get your whole diet right.

Ohh yea, as for mass gainers, I'm never a fan of them. IMO, they're just a quick way to get the required calories to bulk but the protein and nutrients is of a poor quality. I've got my starting gains from just a decent protein, creatine mono and lots of food. After 1 year plus then i start to use a proper stack. All the best man!

Hello all,

I am in my 50's.. had been going to gym over the years but usually on Saturday and Sunday and at times 1 weekday too. Jus wanted to keep trim and lean. However, as i age, i can see that outline of the muscle is not as what it used to be..as it is not as toned as before.

Anyone can kindly advise what supplements that i can take at my age. All these years, i have not taken any proteins or other forms of supplements when i gym. Jus the usual multi vitamins and Omega that's all. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest20

hey all,

may i have some advice on a protein-centric diet/food with high protein content, and some supplements which are readily available and affordable which can aid in my muscle-repairing and -building course?

thank you :)

well I'm not a body builder myself and I don't gym, but I have experience with protein powder- the mainstream kind at reasonable prices, as a matter a fact its half the price of the ones sold at GNC. You can visit www.nutritionpark.com, you can order the stuff online and the delivery man is rather friendly. Then again, I don't have a disciplined workout regime (back then, I don't work out at all now) so not much of a change was observed, so its up to you to find ways to utilize that protein.

I've spoken to the GNC salespeople back then and they told me that their sold products are that expensive as they are checked and quality assured, as for the ones sold online, they might be altered.

Though the ones online and the ones they sell are of the same brand which are safely sealed, so you can rest assured, well, its up to your own discretion.

Edited by Clickclock

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

scroll up, i've already given a link to a site where you can order these supplements online, its based in Singapore so it arrives fast and its really convenient.

www.nutritionpark.com

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

I faced the same problem when I was trying to purchase the protein shake online. Didn't have a lot of informations on it so it was hard to make a decision. Anyway here's some of my suggestion.

Choose a higher concentration of protein lets say per scoop.

Choose the one with lower fats/ calories.

Lastly, for cheaper alternatives, go through several websites for the pricing as different online stores at cheaper price. If you stay near the warehouse, you can collect it personally this saving the delivery fee.

PS: I'm using Elite Whey Protein Isolate.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I'm rather thin and i was thinking of hitting the gym. 

i'm only 52kg/ 170cm. 

Can someone pls advise whether I should take protein powder or mass gainner?

I eat quite a lot, but I don't gain weight at all. 

I heard mass gainner is bad for health?

pls help? Haha.

and can recommend good sites to buy these products? THANKS A MILLION!

Unless you're eating more than 3000 calories a day and not getting fat, you aren't eating as much as you think you are. Neither is your metabolism as fast as you think it is.

I would say Protein Shakes are the way to go. Make your own weight gainer with protein shakes, and it doubles up as a PWO. Add bananas, mix with milk, oats etc. Even make some scrambled eggs and cheese, and sprinkle some whey on it and mix that bitch up. (Only unflavoured ones)

Your only concern right now should be lifting heavy and eating more. Small appetite? Same here, I eat 4000 calories a day to bulk, just do it. Split your meals into 6-7 meals a day. It's easier to eat 6-7 smaller portioned meals than to eat 3 big-ass meals.

Snack on anything, at 1.7m 52kg I would personally buy you a burger mate. Snack that bitch up, after your food, snack on some almonds for an hour or so, and I don't mean stuff yourself mouthfuls of almonds for the hour. Spread out a packet of almonds for an hour, eat slowly, drink lots of water. Then drink some milk.

Then eat somemore. Then lift your ass off.

three rules:

eat healthy (alot for you) & drink lotsa water, sleep, workout

protein/ mass gainers aren't essential, they are supplements intended to support a normal diet but you have to have a good standard diet to begin with then you can consider supplements

if you find it hard to eat (like me), listen to compulsive and split it into small meals

head on over to www.bodybuilding.com and read up on the basics.. opinions varies just like body size so you kinda want to follow someone who has similar body type (ectomorph for you?) and frame

keep a progression report and stay on it if you're serious, it's a BIG help and keeps you motivated

Edited by IamAlex

5 years anniversary soon :)

Loving can hurt, loving can hurt sometimes

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.