Male HQ

Body Building Protein & Health Supplements Discussion (Compiled)

Tight Ass

three rules:

eat healthy (alot for you) & drink lotsa water, sleep, workout

protein/ mass gainers aren't essential, they are supplements intended to support a normal diet but you have to have a good standard diet to begin with then you can consider supplements

if you find it hard to eat (like me), listen to compulsive and split it into small meals

head on over to www.bodybuilding.com and read up on the basics.. opinions varies just like body size so you kinda want to follow someone who has similar body type (ectomorph for you?) and frame

keep a progression report and stay on it if you're serious, it's a BIG help and keeps you motivated

That's a big mofo talking here!

RESPECT :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jackie

I'm new to protein supplements and had done readings on the different kinds of protein type and brand.

I've narrowed down to dymatize elite or dymatize elite gourmet protein. Anyone have tried and can advise which is better?

http://www.supplementshop.com.sg/quality-brands/dymatize/dymatize-elite-gourmet-protein-5-lbs.html

http://www.supplementshop.com.sg/quality-brands/dymatize/dymatize-elite-whey-protein-5lbs.html

I'm new to protein supplements and had done readings on the different kinds of protein type and brand.

I've narrowed down to dymatize elite or dymatize elite gourmet protein. Anyone have tried and can advise which is better?

http://www.supplementshop.com.sg/quality-brands/dymatize/dymatize-elite-gourmet-protein-5-lbs.html

http://www.supplementshop.com.sg/quality-brands/dymatize/dymatize-elite-whey-protein-5lbs.html

The gourmet protein if im not wrong has higher calories, but tastes better than the elite whey. The elite whey tastes good too, and chocolate.fudge is the best.

Guest Guest

I take BSN lean dessert. the vanilla is nice...like milkshake. I drink it now n then as a form of supplement and as a milkshake beverage as I do cardio everyday.

Guest Jackie

The gourmet protein if im not wrong has higher calories, but tastes better than the elite whey. The elite whey tastes good too, and chocolate.fudge is the best.

Thanks your advise  :) I'll try the elite whey chocolate fudge flavour

Guest dude_power

y take supplements? Look at the diet that you are taking first. What are the workouts that you are doing? Countless Bicep curls?Forget them. Do squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlifts, barbell rows and pull ups. U dont even need to train your arms to grow them cause these compound exercises will develop them indirectly.

If you are not eating regularly, then start eating. Supplements are meant for bodybuilders and are not shortcuts for ppl who want an instant answer to their workout problem. Consistency is the key..

I've been taking creatine for a week, but haven really gained significantly... I oso find out I don't get muscle aches after workouts, but I'm still not able to lift significant heavier weights... Why is this happening and is it normal?

Thanks guys!

Hahaha. I've said creatine helps, but it's no anabolic shit. It increases your muscle ATP, not jack up your test levels or change your body's hormonal state. ATP is needed during muscle contraction. So it will help, but it's no miraculous formula that you will see gains instantly lol. You're doing it wrong if you're thinking that by taking supplements, you'll get gains. For a natural bodybuilder, supplements just AID u. What matters are still all your macro, training, rest, sleep. So without these, even if you're using the best protein,creatine,bcaa or what shit, u won't see as much gains. The only way u can depend on a 'supplement' w/o these main components are if u turn to anabolics. So don't expect good gains just because you're taking creatine. Expect good gains when u have perfected your macro nutrients, training and rest.

Hahaha. I've said creatine helps, but it's no anabolic shit. It increases your muscle ATP, not jack up your test levels or change your body's hormonal state. ATP is needed during muscle contraction. So it will help, but it's no miraculous formula that you will see gains instantly lol. You're doing it wrong if you're thinking that by taking supplements, you'll get gains. For a natural bodybuilder, supplements just AID u. What matters are still all your macro, training, rest, sleep. So without these, even if you're using the best protein,creatine,bcaa or what shit, u won't see as much gains. The only way u can depend on a 'supplement' w/o these main components are if u turn to anabolics. So don't expect good gains just because you're taking creatine. Expect good gains when u have perfected your macro nutrients, training and rest.

Oh no... I eat n eat, train n train, rest at night still liddat.. either I eat wrongly, train wrongly or have not eunf rest... omg, what to do now?

Chill dude. 1 week isn't enough to see huge gains. Set a more practical timeframe of say 4-6weeks. And then you'll see. If there's still no changes, that's where u tweak your diet, training etc. so for now if u think you're getting in sufficient calories to grow, proper training and sufficient rest, just stick to it.

Guest Mozzie

I agree.. 1 week won't be able to reveal anything... To GreatMast, other than the fact that you don't get muscle ache (are you using heavy enough weight?), the rest should be fine. if you don't see/feel any changes in 1-3 months' time, please tweak something.. if you want, you can share with us your diet and training plan. We might be able to see something

Chill dude. 1 week isn't enough to see huge gains. Set a more practical timeframe of say 4-6weeks. And then you'll see. If there's still no changes, that's where u tweak your diet, training etc. so for now if u think you're getting in sufficient calories to grow, proper training and sufficient rest, just stick to it.

okay let me try longer n let u guys noe :P Thanks!

I agree.. 1 week won't be able to reveal anything... To GreatMast, other than the fact that you don't get muscle ache (are you using heavy enough weight?), the rest should be fine. if you don't see/feel any changes in 1-3 months' time, please tweak something.. if you want, you can share with us your diet and training plan. We might be able to see something

• 3 weeks later...

Nutritionpark.com, fitlion.com, supplementshop.sg, nutrifirst.com. Not sure if there's any cheap walk in branches. Nutrifirst might have a walk in branch. Maxinutrition have a few. If you're willing to spend almost twice as much, but keep your mind at ease about the supplements, then just go to gnc

• 3 months later...
Guest mr question

Hey guys,

My stomach always feel very gassy after consuming my protein shake

And after afew hrs, i will head to the loo to "detox". No stomach ache though, just having strong urge to go to the loo. And the "toxin" is watery. :(

Is this normal?

Pls advise. Thanks.

PS: I forgot the name of the product i bought, cos i have removed the big packaging n placed the powder in smaller containers.

Maybe you're lactose intolerance? Do u have the same problem consuming other dairy products? If so, switch to a protein which is lactose free. As for which protein to get, depends on your goal, budget, taste preference. In terms of effectiveness, it's just protein. So it all boils down to your goal; cutting or bulking. I'm not a fan of pure whey isolates as i rather use the money for other supps. I prefer a protein blend with fast and slow digesting protein.

Guest mr question

Maybe you're lactose intolerance? Do u have the same problem consuming other dairy products? If so, switch to a protein which is lactose free. As for which protein to get, depends on your goal, budget, taste preference. In terms of effectiveness, it's just protein. So it all boils down to your goal; cutting or bulking. I'm not a fan of pure whey isolates as i rather use the money for other supps. I prefer a protein blend with fast and slow digesting protein.

At first i thot so too, but i have no prob with other diary prods. N last time i tried ano brand n it was ok.

I m slim, aiming to bulk up, u have any reccomendatn for lactose free protein supp?

Max Robust Extreme & Orviax - The New 'Steriods Alternative'

Pls view link for the information,

http://www.menshealt...t/indexsgx.php?

I have 5 sets to sell away, each set costs SGD$80. I bought the 6 bottles deal so it is much cheaper (not earning profit), just bought too much.

Do PM me if you are interested. Cash & carry at a convenient location.

Guest Jackson wong

hi helo...gd evening..protein power or body buiding supplement is it good..im slim..n lean...but i got a bit of low blood pressure...n health proble...is it good to take that...any suggestion..or recommand....tks...

Hey guys,

My stomach always feel very gassy after consuming my protein shake

And after afew hrs, i will head to the loo to "detox". No stomach ache though, just having strong urge to go to the loo. And the "toxin" is watery. :(

Is this normal?

Pls advise. Thanks.

PS: I forgot the name of the product i bought, cos i have removed the big packaging n placed the powder in smaller containers.

You are lactose intolerant.

Whey Isolate of any brands would suit you better.

tumblr_m3l60d7jv21qbyxr0o1_500.gif

Anyone ever tried following whey protein brand:

1. Beyond RAW Re-Grow by gnc

2. Promax by Maxinutrition

3. Optimum Nutrition100% Whey Gold Protein

Which one is better in terms of effectiveness and money?

ON 100% Whey is considered a staple in bodybuilding. You may change brands in future but most people would have heard of this when they start (because it is highly regarded as one of the best and value for money in the industry).

Guest mr question

You are lactose intolerant.

Whey Isolate of any brands would suit you better.

Thanks dude.

Jus to confirm... do i look for products that have the name WHEY ISOLATE or what? :)

ON 100% Whey is considered a staple in bodybuilding. You may change brands in future but most people would have heard of this when they start (because it is highly regarded as one of the best and value for money in the industry).

Thanks for your advise, bro.

I just ordered 100% Whey.

Guest Guest

i dun recommend taking supplements (maybe except just whey protein) until you have reached a plateau in growing.

when i first started gymming, i take all sorts of supplements like creatine, NO, BCAA, pre and intra workout formulas (not all at once, i experiment with different supplements at different occasions). sure, i have good results and grow very fast but my 'muscles' are never the hard and defined type.

when i stopped gymming religiously for a few months, i shrank very fast. friends asked me how come you grow so fast and shrink so fast, not a good feeling and its like you are under the control of supplements.

after a few months, i started gymming religiously again, this time with no supplements at all. except whey protein (note: whey protein dun help you to grow muscles literally, it helps you to recover faster and to supple your overall protein intake). my growth was slow but i realise the muscles i put on are different than before - can feel its more solid and hard. alas, because of personal reasons, my gym regime has to stop for awhile again but this time, i didnt shrink much at all, the 'loss of size' was definitely much slower than before.

Thanks dude.

Jus to confirm... do i look for products that have the name WHEY ISOLATE or what? :)

Most commercial brands would have whey isolates. Whey isolates have gone further during the process to filter out the diary content (which is more commonly found in whey concentrates). To summarise, if you laosai after drinking the usual whey protein then whey isolates would be a better choice.

Some brands that you can consider:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (deduce to contain about 95% isolates, 5% concentrates)

Gaspari Nutrition Intrapro/Isofusion

Dymatize Nutrition ISO 100

BSN Syntha 6 Isolate

Edited by Wilbur

Most commercial brands would have whey isolates. Whey isolates have gone further during the process to filter out the diary content (which is more commonly found in whey concentrates). To summarise, if you laosai after drinking the usual whey protein then whey isolates would be a better choice.

Some brands that you can consider:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (deduce to contain about 95% isolates, 5% concentrates)

Gaspari Nutrition Intrapro/Isofusion

Dymatize Nutrition ISO 100

BSN Syntha 6 Isolate

Where did u get that deduction for on 100% whey man? Didn't know about that. Have always assumed its a blend rather than an isolate

Guest mr question

Anyone heard or tired before Mutant Whey? I bought from fitlion and Im trying to bulk up. Im quite skinny with high metabolism so it's quite hard for me to bulk up.

Oh yes, is mutant whey fr fitlion that causes my gassy tummy, n watery "toxin".

I m trying to bulk up too, but due to my lactose intolerance (mentioned in my earlier post), i cant take it as instructed in terms of frequency n amt, so i only take it after gym, n the result is not as satisfactory as i expect :(

Lol. Mutant whey. I had the same problem with it but now my body had adjusted to it alr. But anw, that isn't my pwo shake. It's just a cheap protein that I bought in case I didn't meet my macros throughout the day. I'll only use at most one scoop a day. But anw, if you're lactose intolerant, u wouldn't be able to consume dairy. So either stick with it or change to another whey blend like dymatize which is about $5 more than mutant, but cheaper in terms of cost per gram of protein. But if getting an isolate puts your mind at ease, then get an isolate. U know your body better than anyone giving advice here. Cheers!

Guest Guest

when i take my protein supplements, i have more pimples :(

i take BCAA, protein blend and creatine when i work out. i usually shop at bodybuilding.com, so far so good.

you have to drink alot of water, which is what you should be doing anyway.

Guest Javier

I don't like mutant whey. I've tried it once and it seems like a very low grade product. It gives me gassy feeling too and it is horrible to drink.

I will recommend dymatize over mutant or if budget allows then should get the myofusion elite protein

Wondering could I have some hot sex right after my training? Someone say it's bad for my health, how true it is?

I usually do some exercises before fun as I think my partner will have more appetitte seeing my just trained bod. Besides, I feel more hornier too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think a good place to start is to read the sticky thread on HWZ's Health and Fitness Corner.

http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com.sg/health-fitness-corner-48/beginners-bible-bodybuilding-supplements-fat-loss-newbies-pls-read-3419226.html

The most basic protein to buy is Whey protein, which could be find in every online supplement store and GNC.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey is a good protein to start with, cheapest found at FitLion.com at SGD79 for 5lbs.

one of the most popular and best selling is optimum nutrition. you will hear people saying ON protein.

for gym, you need whey protein. whey protein is absorbed quickly into your body, best taken straight after workout.

another common one is casein protein. casein is absorbed slowly, good to take before sleep.

pls note that protein does not give you muscles. protein merely aids your recovery - for muscles to repair themselves after workout and grow, as well as for nutritional needs

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.