Male HQ

Open Club  ·  137 members

Gardening

Gardening Enthusiasts

Clickclock

1 minute ago, AnH said:

Thank you

I guess it’s the flowers that attracted them as it’s not black ants... it’s those with lighter coloured body 

Good observation, anh!!! Sharp!

Cos there s nothing honey or sweet stuff inside soil (& they could have come from other places/ pots)

the bugs and flies usu will conceal under leaves or petals instead to mass produce Usu(though there r exception)

nt so much of inside soil

which is why some of the methods mentioned in Fluteguan article as well as joining the fb grp on gardening, also mentioned use of natural deterrents like citrus fruits or cinammon instead

(but again i will look at whether is my plant a fruit or vege cos if it s just a normal plant, then it s fine like a bonsai...

if bluerunner’s plant is meant to be an edible then i wont not want the plant to have its original taste alter)

Shyc,

i once a while will do deep watering( or showering as u termed it )is nt to keep away ants but due to other reasons as lack of water due to busy or travel or cos of overfertilised

Hence the need to “wash away” excessive nutrients (some fertilisers tend to b over on certain elements)

unless it s very necessary

we avoid deep showering too regularly, as our soil or compost added onto it(some will place tea leaves used) has the natural flair to build up required nutrients...

nature definitely has to work itself thru the ecosystem, if it heavily rained on certain days ie as good as a form of deep showering alrdy

Somehow Many fb sharer cried when it was just a simpl downpour cos overwatering n i rem that the rain amt for that nite was just ok n we r mostly living in hdb(based on their photos)

if this is a land/garden kind of planting, it will b a slight variation in our discussn instead

21 minutes ago, shyc said:

Actually got my 'showering' of plants from bonsai caring method. They also suggest submerging pot into a pail of water if it is not too big pot. Btw just the pot. Am sure this will kill any ants and their descendants. Bonsai soil usually will drain off well. I used to water my bonsai this way. 

25 minutes ago, AnH said:

Hi

try Carousell, under this seller ‘urban.cultivar’ 

wow! even you know this seller

he has one but unable to copy his link here not sure why

Why the plant, Shy?

4 hours ago, shy said:

Anyone know where I can get a burro's tail? 

https://carousell.com/search/products/?query=burro's tail

not sure is that too small for him?

alternatively ask in the fb grp, surely many responses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/

or go World farm and search for it

Awesome! Didn't think it would be in carousell. I went to Far East Flora and Kranji with no luck.

It looks cute, and I want to put a "curtain" in a sunny spot in the house. I don't mind babies as well. 

4 minutes ago, shy said:

Awesome! Didn't think it would be in carousell. I went to Far East Flora and Kranji with no luck.

It looks cute, and I want to put a "curtain" in a sunny spot in the house. I don't mind babies as well. 

Far east is my popular florist too!!

but sometimes i will go to carousell or fb for cheap lobangs esp growing certain species for first time eg CP

But now everyone is talking about “world farm” near to katib

10 minutes ago, shy said:

I heard about world farm too, but more interested in their pots and planters haha. Too bad it's so expensive.

Dont, dont go all the way for its pots??!

many will make do of daiso or go into those farms in jb if u drive

too bad, i dont!

and use creativy on some ikea stuff 

Many go to toyogo! Go there instead

n often have sales

Hort park? Heard abt it but.... 

Too hot to handle

for those who are really into nature and

doing yoga

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/activities/events-and-workshops/2018/4/witp-family-yoga-apr-2018

sg has attempted to landmark all our trees and heritage roads ( w info) and w free tour too

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-parks-and-nature/heritage-roads

in case u wanna go w your partner, fb etc

and nothing beats the info in the fb grp of urban farmers like the upcoming garden festival

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/

2 hours ago, HanWuJi said:

Has anyone here bought plants/gardening stuff from Hort Park's Gardeners' Day out?

Next one is 21st Apr [every 3rd Saturday of the month]. 

https://www.nparks.gov.sg/activities/events-and-workshops/2018/4/gdo-programme-highlights-apr-2018

Do they have interesting plants?

thank you

2 hours ago, shy said:

I’m not too sure about having it in a sunny spot though

as I’ve read up that this plant isn’t a southeast region species and belongs to the succulents, not cactus

but have to give it a try....

37 minutes ago, AnH said:

I’m not too sure about having it in a sunny spot though

as I’ve read up that this plant isn’t a southeast region species and belongs to the succulents, not cactus

but have to give it a try....

This is my inspiration... Anyway, my window only gets 3 hours of full sun a day, I definitely have to try!

u3vpcdgeaifz.jpg

Link to full thread 

Edited by shy

6 minutes ago, shy said:

This is my inspiration... Anyway, my window only gets 3 hours of full sun a day, I definitely have to try!

oooh, if in sg , not possible

unless it is just one pot, initally i was thinking are u planning for something halloween

cos the plant got a creepy feel as stated by some websites

58 minutes ago, shy said:

u3vpcdgeaifz.jpg

Link to full thread 

If you want to do it with succulent in Singapore don’t waste your time and money. String of pearls and/or burro’s tail will not grow like that in Singapore. It’s just too hot and humid. If you want to create the same effect with something suitable for local weather than it’s possible. 

13 minutes ago, Rice60640 said:

If you want to do it with succulent in Singapore don’t waste your time and money. String of pearls and/or burro’s tail will not grow like that in Singapore. It’s just too hot and humid. If you want to create the same effect with something suitable for local weather than it’s possible. 

Ohh no. Glad you warned me. What would be suitable as like a curtain? But hopefully with interesting leaves. 

1 hour ago, shy said:

Ohh no. Glad you warned me. What would be suitable as like a curtain? But hopefully with interesting leaves. 

agreed w Rice!

those plants which you seldom see available in Sg, u can forget about them!

(which is why i joined the fb grp to see what r the rare collections flourishing in sg)

and i mentioned in sg, u can only get it "small" 

it s also an art to know wht to buy back from overseas (esp temperate ctries), one can buy back rare species but die soon then better dont

4 hours ago, AnH said:

Do they have interesting plants?

thank you

I'm not quite sure as I've never been to one of these Gardeners' Day Out events before but will probably head over later this month.

There isn't much sunny space available at my place so I'll be looking for smaller flowering plants or smaller orchids.

purple dendrobium berry oda.jpg

12 hours ago, shy said:

Give Hort Park a try. There aren’t many (any) gardening books written for Singapore or Malaysia. Far East Flora have very commercial and common plants. Try visiting some nursery that are smaller operations. Most are on the West side of the island I think. 

26 minutes ago, Rice60640 said:

Give Hort Park a try. There aren’t many (any) gardening books written for Singapore or Malaysia. Far East Flora have very commercial and common plants. Try visiting some nursery that are smaller operations. Most are on the West side of the island I think. 

Try join "green culture singapore" on facebook... It depend what type of uncommon plant you want to keep. please bear in mind... uncommon will likely need extra care and understanding of the plant. If you want general decor then no need spend too much time searching for uncommon plant. 

Just head to any nursery, cheers store, florist store or ikea to pick up any plant within your budget and suite you eye look.

Thanks...

167 69 chn 51

LINE: songatsg0

Telegram: songatsg

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, k13v said:

Try join "green culture singapore" on facebook... It depend what type of uncommon plant you want to keep. please bear in mind... uncommon will likely need extra care and understanding of the plant. If you want general decor then no need spend too much time searching for uncommon plant. 

Just head to any nursery, cheers store, florist store or ikea to pick up any plant within your budget and suite you eye look.

ooooh,, the green culture grp has about 7.6K
Did u try the UF grp first? 20K over members

and the experts are all there, they will regularly hold events at members' house (in case u need)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers
Some special mbrs (in bw) have no other topics but plants: such a grp of 20K members surely will have one who are able to entertain them

some do nothing but to sing and talk to plants (plants and garden will definitely help them, in one way or another)

I believed the key to gardening is don't do it deliberately

nt just what she shared at the beginning: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/worldprime/3016014/?cid=nwd-facebook-vod-rtg3s_high-tsuruko2018apr

the key to food is nt to meddle too much (just grab wht is there made by the nature)

even those rooftop farmers I met , said the same thing, we worry too much, we overpamper the plants

a case I rem:

don't make it as though abit of what will ruin your plant, some after a thunderstorm and then repot their plants, I got a shock (eventually the plant was dead after repotting)

bTW, all of u know that u could tap on skilsfuture to study about hydroponics , farming aqua animals, plants etc

from composting to...https://www.thelivingcentre.sg/register/urban-farming-courses/skillsfuture-claimable-courses

• 2 months later...

What plants are you growing?

I have a couple pots of tomato plants that have been flowering but haven't been able to get them to fruit so far..

*Also more and more interested in orchids..

Edited by HanWuJi

5 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Too much rain lately. Have to move some of my plant in to avoid getting too much water on it. 

Hope sunny days will be back soon. 

Shouldn't it be alright? Like the excess water should leak out from the base of the flower pot no?

3 hours ago, enthuboy_93 said:

Shouldn't it be alright? Like the excess water should leak out from the base of the flower pot no?

Although excess water leaks out through the drainage holes on the pot, overwatered soil will cause roots to rot and fungal attack. 

On 6/24/2018 at 8:57 AM, HanWuJi said:

I have a couple pots of tomato plants that have been flowering but haven't been able to get them to fruit so far..

I had the same problems with my peppers and cherry tomatoes, plenty of flower blooms but no fruits. Even after artificial pollination with cotton buds. After a year they just died away.

18 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Although excess water leaks out through the drainage holes on the pot, overwatered soil will cause roots to rot and fungal attack. 

Happen to me all the time, over zealous carer.

Previously when my bonsai dried out, had read tat sometime it can still be revive but unfortunately the blogger never state how to unless you subscribe. Being a bit sceptical of the claim, never did follow up. Recently had an old plant that seems to have dried out. Leaves had dried up and completely barren. Decided to dig it out to throw away than I remembered the claim. Try soaking the whole plant after digging out realising tat there are totally no more roots. I forgot about it and left it soaking for a day. Took it out and place in a jar of water.  2-3 days after before I remember it again and wanted to throw way when I discover little greenish buds at a few nodes. It's been 2-3 weeks 2 of the nodes managed to grow new shoots while the remaining 6-8 had turn black and dried up. Still no roots what so ever. Anyone came across any organic way to enhance or speed up roots growth without getting commercially produce roots growth hormone? I just prefer experimenting this way to watch the outcome. Appreciation in advance.

10 minutes ago, Meneedyew said:

any orchid lovers here ?

What kind of orchids do you like/own?

I'm fairly new to orchids but I like Dendrobiums,  Oncidiums, Palaenopsis, Cattleya, Cymbidium type orchids.

Unfortunately some of them are not suitable for SG and will not bloom in local weather :( like the Slipper Orchid in that youtube orchid clip I posted a few posts above. 

On 6/24/2018 at 11:15 AM, lw_guy said:

Anybody have this new orchid hybrid, Dendrobium Hibiki? :) 

Saw this on a nursery fb page... 

Dendrobium-Hibiki.jpg

oh this is Dendrobium Hibiki, if you are patient, you can just wait a few more weeks for SGF at Gardens by the bay.

They sell these at the Market place at lower prices since there's plenty of competition there. It gets even cheaper nearing the end of the festival.

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

1 hour ago, Clickclock said:

oh this is Dendrobium Hibiki, if you are patient, you can just wait a few more weeks for SGF at Gardens by the bay.

They sell these at the Market place at lower prices since there's plenty of competition there. It gets even cheaper nearing the end of the festival.

Ah, thanks for the tip! :)  Hope it can survive in my corridor that is not too sunny...

Hi

I’m having getting my multi-petal hibiscus to bloom fully. I’m getting buds that starting to bloom but just slightly, then the bud stem turned yellow and dropped off...

Any advice?

Thank you much much in advance

On 6/26/2018 at 10:38 AM, AnH said:

Hi

I’m having getting my multi-petal hibiscus to bloom fully. I’m getting buds that starting to bloom but just slightly, then the bud stem turned yellow and dropped off...

Any advice?

Thank you much much in advance

Could be lack of nutrients. Try using liquid fertiliser. For blooming, fertiliser w high P value is required. 

On 6/24/2018 at 8:57 AM, HanWuJi said:

Unless you have frequent visitations of bees, you have to hand-pollinate the tomato flowers if you want them to bear fruit. Either use a small soft brush to gather the yellow pollens and brush them on the stigma, or if you have lots of flowers in a bunch on a stem, just shake the stem vigorously.

48 minutes ago, bluerunner said:

Could be lack of nutrients. Try using liquid fertiliser. For blooming, fertiliser w high P value is required. 

Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, victorp said:

Unless you have frequent visitations of bees, you have to hand-pollinate the tomato flowers if you want them to bear fruit. Either use a small soft brush to gather the yellow pollens and brush them on the stigma, or if you have lots of flowers in a bunch on a stem, just shake the stem vigorously.

I've tried this method using a small soft brush and cotton swab as well, but no luck with tomatoes/cherry tomatoes..

Chilli Padi on the other hand, managed to get several chilli plants to produce quite a number of red little firey chilli padis until the plants expended their energy resources and started to fade and diminish.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, victorp said:

Perhaps I spoke too soon! Was just checking my tomato plants this morning and noticed a tiny little ball of a tomato forming on one flower base :wub:

It is the first time I managed to get any tomato plant to bear fruit, doesn't even matter how small it is at the moment :D

29 minutes ago, HanWuJi said:

Perhaps I spoke too soon! Was just checking my tomato plants this morning and noticed a tiny little ball of a tomato forming on one flower base :wub:

It is the first time I managed to get any tomato plant to bear fruit, doesn't even matter how small it is at the moment :D

Congratulations on your first time fatherhood...:D

Hope u manage to raise them well and enjoy the fruit of your labour. 

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, shyc said:

Congratulations on your first time fatherhood...:D

Hope u manage to raise them well and enjoy the fruit of your labour. 

Cheers :D

Will cherish this very first tomato fruit, especially special for this serial plant murderer :ph34r::P

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, AnH said:

This is what I meant earlier... went to the nursery to get fertiliser and asked about the condition that my hibiscus plant having, was told I watered too much... not to do it Everyday, just 2 - 3 days once

1BED7D38-E996-4FDE-8CB3-1E4A4E63BE9A.jpeg

535C5DCC-355D-48C4-A516-B548B27AA6E1.jpeg

Love the rich greenness of the leaves and the dark redness of the petals.

Sometimes too much loving [overwatering] can be an overkill..

20 hours ago, HanWuJi said:

With my hibiscus I found that yellowing of the leaves indicate lack of nitrogen due to overwatering. Nitrogen replacement seems to help. Just make sure there are no mites/lice on the underside of the leaves. They can cause a similar appearance.

Other than using seeds from the vegetables and fruits bought for cooking and consumption I rarely am keen on buying seed packets and planting seeds I'm not familiar with..

but I happen by the gardening section during a supermart spree last week and came across these Globe Amaranth seeds..

Horti Globe Amaranth Seeds

How-to-Grow-Globe-Amaranth.jpg

Loving the rich purple colour but who knows how it will turn out - the seeds just germinated a couple of days ago and fingers crossed now that they survive the seedlings phase.. :pray: :B)

On 7/7/2018 at 8:20 AM, HanWuJi said:

Enough White Oil against scales?

On 7/8/2018 at 10:04 AM, HanWuJi said:

Other than using seeds from the vegetables and fruits bought for cooking and consumption I rarely am keen on buying seed packets and planting seeds I'm not familiar with..

but I happen by the gardening section during a supermart spree last week and came across these Globe Amaranth seeds..

Horti Globe Amaranth Seeds

How-to-Grow-Globe-Amaranth.jpg

Loving the rich purple colour but who knows how it will turn out - the seeds just germinated a couple of days ago and fingers crossed now that they survive the seedlings phase.. :pray: :B)

Supplementing with artificial light?