Male HQ

National Day Parade Discussion - NDP Songs from 2012 - Present (compiled)

Have you seen the latest ND music video? Dont worry, if you havent seen it yet, you will be bombarded with its repeated airing from now till the big day. I thought it quite well shot and edited together. Pretty catchy English song alright, and I did spot some familiar theatre faces (Sebastian, Emma. etc) leading the troop of grinning school kids, working men, office workers up to the steps of National Stadium. But the video is a hoot for one reason. Who is that campy leader in the executive suit leading his cohort of executives? He was prancing around (Priscillia queen of the desert would be proud of him), overdoing his every moves as though he's a Gwen Stefani on steroid. I was laughing out loud as I watched him- he's a scene stealing drama queen alright. At least he makes the whole music video watchable (even if its for the wrong reason). :D Who is he anyway?

err... ED, it is "Will You"

p/s after listening to that song, my first reaction is "will i get paid?" :P (go read the lyrics of that song)

as for Kit's song, i felt it was uncanny similiar to her famous 1998 national day song "Home"

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

• 2 years later...
Guest mexxace

The lead singer of Electrico - the band who sings the 2009 National Day theme song - Desmond Goh - is very very hot!! Anybody knows where he performs and anything on him? Any chance he is 5% gay? His voice is so sexy!! "What do you see?" ...

http://www.electricomusic.com/

the lead vocalist is dave tan, the guy seen in the music video. desmond goh plays bass guitar. there's an article of them in this week's 8 Days.

what do you guys think of the NDP theme song this year? i was surprised to read about negative feedback from the public in various media. i personally thought it was reflective, catchy and for the first time ever, doesnt feel (too blatantly) like cheesy propaganda.

Guest mexxace

http://www.electricomusic.com/

the lead vocalist is dave tan, the guy seen in the music video. desmond goh plays bass guitar. there's an article of them in this week's 8 Days.

what do you guys think of the NDP theme song this year? i was surprised to read about negative feedback from the public in various media. i personally thought it was reflective, catchy and for the first time ever, doesnt feel (too blatantly) like cheesy propaganda.

Cadlad: Thanks for info. So he is Dave. Wow, such hotie. And voice is rather sexy.

Tennis-uncle: Mr Brown is so yesterday right? For sharp, intelligent political satire, I think TalkingCock is much better;l for bite sometimes, Yawning Bread will give you the satisfaction. And, based on personal preference, the guy in the video - a bit of a middle class pretentious (sorry hor). The whole spoof is rather gimmicky and crass. But I do, just as I started to first notice Mr Brown, there are still many people who like him and deservedly so.

Guest mexxace

You sure or not, Justin? You get me excited. But your information is a bit illogical without further explanation. He hangs out at Serangoon Garden, so he is gay. Sia, like that many people are gay there because there are many people who frequent Serangoon Garden leh. Sia!

Guest gaysingaporean

For once, the song is ok and the lyrics is not too bad.

The group did a good job with the singing and music arrangement.

Very good vocal!

My only complain is that it sounded too much like one of COLDPLAY's song!

Guest mexxace

For once, the song is ok and the lyrics is not too bad.

The group did a good job with the singing and music arrangement.

Very good vocal!

My only complain is that it sounded too much like one of COLDPLAY's song!

Were you invited to be the judge for Singapore Idol and then reject the invitation? You speak like the Idol judges leh!!

• 2 years later...

well i don't think it's this year's song. i certainly hope not. and before we all lamblast how horrible the singing is, let's not forget that they aren't professionals...and just take this video lightly...

suffering from secondhand embarrassment though, cause i know about half of those featured in the video..

haha i was expecting the singing to be meh but this is ... way too.. XDDD!!!!

and whoever is the lyricist = = im sure u could have come up with better lyrics than WE--LOVEEE-SINGAPORE x 3

But well, the army had a rough time this year. They shudn't be taken for granted and so while u guys bitch abt the singing, just dont bitch abt their profession :P separate things yo!

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

Guest Guest

But well, the army had a rough time this year. They shudn't be taken for granted and so while u guys bitch abt the singing, just dont bitch abt their profession :P separate things yo!

Really? What did they have?

World War 3, Terrorist attack or Alien invasion?

Guest Erotictales

I'm sorry to say this but I really, really feel sorry for any reservist in that marching contingent who's forced to sing this.

That is truly sacrifice for the nation.

Guest Marikita

National day is so meaningless and superficial these days. I hardly feel a sense of belonging to a country where nearly half of the population are foreign.

Guest Guest

National day is so meaningless and superficial these days. I hardly feel a sense of belonging to a country where nearly half of the population are foreign.

Exactly.

Guest Erotictales

I think the whole problem, other than the questionable MV, is really how it is so very superficial. When we do go into discussing the issues of the nation, what kind of response do we get? What kind of reaction do we get?

Maybe its not the song, but the people that complain too much some times. Maybe if they were not recording this song in the video, maybe if they were not dressed in clean no.3 but perhaps, if the MV shows them drenched in sweat and blood, carrying our SAR 21 and fighting tooth and nail to defend fellow singaporeans. They are not born singers, they were born to serve a high calling. Arguably, the highest.

So seriously, back off with the criticism for once and show some pride in being Singaporeans.

Guest Erotictales

That's rubbish. People reacting is a form of complaining? Did anyone demand for gruesome portrayals of battlefields? This video receives bad feedback because everything aside it is comical. It doesn't evoke patriotism because people are busy laughing.

Consider why Home didn't get this sort of reaction.

Consider too your strange demand why as a Singaporean I must agree with things state produced, even if awful, just to show appreciation.

Guest Erotictales

That's rubbish. People reacting is a form of complaining? Did anyone demand for gruesome portrayals of battlefields? This video receives bad feedback because everything aside it is comical. It doesn't evoke patriotism because people are busy laughing.

Consider too your strange demand why as a Singaporean I must agree with things state produced, even if awful, just to show appreciation.

Indeed babe. Complaining is a form of reaction. That is how we normally react to train break downs for instance. So tell me erotic, what is so funny about the video it evokes humour then? What is so damn comical about our servicemen and women doing their bit to contribute to the successful of this year's NDP? I am not lambasting or castigating, I was trying to allude to respect for their contributions, some thing which you ostensibly fail to grasp.

While I do agree that this video may not be very good, but I recognize their efforts the very least and refrain from posting frivolous and cutting remarks. Imagine you're one of them in the video. Not very nice huh?

Edited by Dandriel

Guest Erotictales

You are confused and have severe boundary issues, which births your own complaints. A consumer expressing negativity about a product is on that alone. You can interpret it as a personal offence on the developer's pride but that does nothing except to make matters convoluted. As a country, if everything does by Singaporeans must be appreciated by Singaporeans, as appreciation, that simply bothers on

irrational nationalism which will lead to extremism.

In fact, if you read carefully, my own first reaction is of pity for the reservists made to march to this in NDP. And why? Because of all choices, the organizers chose to project awkwardness of our citizens and soldiers. You can continue to mawkishly make this some sort of sentimental expression of patriotism, but the video itself demands otherwise. It shows our soldiers lured to be happy presenting a frivolous front. Is that itself respect for the state and population?

Lastly. If I am one of those inside. I will either blame myself for agreeing to something that has a failing concept. Or I will eat humble pie and consider why patriotism was not achieved. To get personal about it just means I am unworthy of, appreciation, from fellow citizens.

<p>At what point did I mention that every thing done by Singaporeans have to appreciated by Singaporeans?... Its about showing respect, not appreciation. Its not the video, but the soul and effort that our SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN invested in it. I am referring to THEM, not the VIDEO. -.- READ my last sentence, was I all hail and praises for the video? No, no, no! It is for the spirit of the regulars that I was praising. You accuse me of making the issue convoluted but my rebuke was clearly directed at the sensitivity of fellow forum users, whom I urge restraint. Stop trying to sensationalize my post by insinuating nationalistic fervor in what I said. Your accusation was misguided and it kinda missed the mark. Pretty badly too. It is nothing personal, directed at no one. You know not where of I speak and I'm confused? Okay. <br />

<br />

Go browse the personal section. You may find the threads there closer to home (based on your nick name of course) while you learn to read carefully.</p>

Edited by Dandriel

Guest Erotictales

<p>At what point did I mention that every thing done by Singaporeans have to appreciated by Singaporeans?... Its about showing respect, not appreciation. Its not the video, but the soul and effort that our SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN invested in it. I am referring to THEM, not the VIDEO. -.- READ my last sentence, was I all hail and praises for the video? No, no, no! It is for the spirit of the regulars that I was praising. You accuse me of making the issue convoluted but my rebuke was clearly directed at the sensitivity of fellow forum users, whom I urge restraint. Stop trying to sensationalize my post by insinuating nationalistic fervor in what I said. Your accusation was misguided and it kinda missed the mark. Pretty badly too. It is nothing personal, directed at no one. You know not where of I speak and I'm confused? Okay. <br />

<br />

Go browse the personal section. You may find the threads there closer to home (based on your nick name of course) while you learn to read carefully.</p>

That you choose to regress to a personal attack on my nickname demonstrates you have nothing better or sensible to say, isn't it?

Take it as this, if you still wish to. The producers of this video chose, markedly, to project our soldiers in a sensational, comical manner. Consider where the "spirit" that you talk of is actually them wanting everyone to laugh at our own army. Remember too that if they, as you wrote, are regulars, they are paid, by state money i.e. taxes, for their job. Of which just means we as the citizens already given our endorsement, support, and yes, appreciation.

I dont think this is the official NDP song,

it is written

This music video, set in a fun and light-hearted setting, is meant to introduce the Key Appointment Holders for the NDP 2012 Parade & Ceremony committee

but yes I find the singing dreadful, and sorry that I dont see the "fun and light-hearted setting" in the MV nor the faces. they looked stress and joyless. As a friend said "有气无力的,办丧事吗?"

Oh for those with Uniform mature fetish, here's the list of men/ women

Featuring (in order of line/appearance)

COL Roland Ng - Chairman Parade & Ceremony

LTC (NS) Clarence Tan - Parade Commander

MAJ Kenneth Chiong - Chairman Parade & Marshalling

SWO Joseph Koa - Parade Advisor

MAJ Lim Siew Gek - Chairman Log & Finance

MWO Tamizh Kannan - Parade Regimental Sergeant Major

ME5 Andrew Koh - Chief Trainer (Air Force)

ME5 Phui Peng Sim - Chief Trainer (Navy)

SWO Tang Peck Oon - Chief Trainer (Army)

MAJ James Phang - Chairman Cue

ME5 Philip Tng - Chairman Band

LTC Ning Tau Yee - Chairman Special Functions

MWO Lee Yong Kwang - Chairman Engagement

MAJ Ang Lay Kheng - Chairman Contingency & Safety

LTC John Vincent - Dy Chairman Parade & Ceremony

MWO Sathiamoorthy - Dy Chairman Engagement

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Well, its there... and you ought you have the foresight to use something less, erotic, if an intellectual discourse is what you so desire. The merits of our arguments can be juxtaposed, whether or not it made sense or not of its because I'm bored stupid and have nothing better to do.

Where you find it sensational and comical, I find it courageous (to be part of this video and not shy away) and heart warming. That, is the disparity between our views. I'm sure the producers meant not for everyone to, "laugh", at our own army. That's just you. Now, let's stop boring everyone with your misguided circular arguments and cease this pointless dithering. Your condescension has been duly noted.

To the rest of our forum users, sorry for making a mess (: I shall rest my case and well, let our erotic gentlemen continuing putting down the efforts our men and women in green, whom are sweating away for our nation's sake. I am not a crazy nationalistic patriot, I have my have share of negativity about singapore, but being in the SAF for now, I can't help but really really develop a profound respect for these people.

Let my post not engender any more weird allegations. Have a great day peeps (:

Edited by Dandriel

Guest Erotictales

As for my nick, one of the intended use for it is that it can very easily lure the pointless into focusing their assaults on it. Something very useful for pinpointing the irrelevant.

But if you so wish to otherwise. As a citizen made too to be a soldier, lifelong, which by the way is the intended use for this composition, I personally feel deeply offended that our soldiers are to be projected to the public in this light. I also, as I wrote way from the beginning, feel pity for the ones, regulars or not, made to participate in this video. I cannot, if I have to put it as regretfully, feel respect for the folks who conceptualize this, simply out of the dread that it will, doubtlessly will, encourage them to make more.

Guest Erotictales

Oh I have to confess this time I indeed didn't read properly. Or maybe it is you continously editing your posts?

I just want to highlight that so far, you are the only one to this point who's finding this heart warming. If you recall, your first post is to denounce those who derided the video. Telling them to back off? So on that alone, you seem to be the only one in your opinions? I'm not sure whether this is "Circular," but I think it does qualify to be self-deflating.

k

Oh I have to confess this time I indeed didn't read properly. Or maybe it is you continously editing your posts?

I just want to highlight that so far, you are the only one to this point who's finding this heart warming. If you recall, your first post is to denounce those who derided the video. Telling them to back off? So on that alone, you seem to be the only one in your opinions? I'm not sure whether this is "Circular," but I think it does qualify to be self-deflating.

k. if it makes you happy (:

Guest Guest

Change song title, too military. A nation's call? or just WE - a nation's dream

Maybe they should do a different musical arrangement.

1st, change the atmospheric intro to acoustic harp, with deep cello bass

2nd sans the marching band, put in a more modern & pop percussion, up the tempo

3rd Chorus ...... Singapore X3 should pick up with more passion, more arousing. Add horns to string section. Intead of using timpani, try taiko drum.

4th Soft ending - fade off with a solo oboe.

Redo the video

Film the officer in civilian in a more natural & accessible setting - with family/individual/with friends, watersporting(navy), skydiving(airforce), etc at all the latest attractions , RWS, mbs harbour front/park/skypark/flyer, etc. Then list their title after each shot. This would ease them & help them connect to the viewers.

Watching the video hearing them sing, definitely not gay.

They looked very uncomfortable as if kenna force to sing with rifle pointed behind(like my PC used to do to force me to finish 2.4km). hehe.

They also know that once this video is out, they sure kenna jabbed by their peers.

Now I want to recycle myself & go back to reservist & hope to serve under the following officer:

1. col roland ng - tall & cute, mid 40s?

2. maj keneth chong - manly , virile, late 30s?

3. Trainer Phew Peng Sim? Andrew Koh? - young one, looks like jap & korea, cute/handsome, late 20s?early 30s

After much thot, I would opt for no.3

• G_M changed the title to National Day Parade Discussion - NDP Songs from 2012 - Present (compiled)
  • JoJoMan changed the title to 🇸🇬 National Day Parade 2023 (Discussions)
  • G_M locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.