Male HQ

Discussion About Single & Hdb Flat Ownership + Hdb Loan (Compiled)

worldangel

Guest Guest
16 hours ago, Guest Taboo said:

I know of a couple who unknowingly bought a re-sale HDB 3 room (East area)  that came with a dark past. Initially everything were very normal until someone told them that their unit took a long time to sell. Feeling strange, they did a little digging and found that the previous owner actually jump to his death.

After knowing this piece of disturbing news,  many strange things started to happen.

The unit had since been sold to another unsuspecting buyer.

So it means no strange things happen before the couple found out that previous owner jump to his death? This is the reason why many times, ignorance is bliss, if you don't know anything is better then knowing many things. There are many units also have people died before, but if you don't know or don't think so much, many people stay there also nothing happen.

Guest Taboo
4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

So it means no strange things happen before the couple found out that previous owner jump to his death? This is the reason why many times, ignorance is bliss, if you don't know anything is better then knowing many things. There are many units also have people died before, but if you don't know or don't think so much, many people stay there also nothing happen.

The only abnormality before the dark past surfaced was that they always felt that someone or something was always watching over them. But that was something impossible to prove or to get rid of.

Guest Sleep
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, Guest Taboo said:

The only abnormality before the dark past surfaced was that they always felt that someone or something was always watching over them. But that was something impossible to prove or to get rid of.

That was the first sign.  The second sign was you tend to wake up or hardly get to sleep in the night until almost dawn.  It really drained your energy when you do not sleep well.  Worse is, you would dream of strangers whom you never met before.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question.

I recently changed my job with a slightly higher salary thus providing me with a higher monthly CPF contribution towards my Ordinary Account (OA). I'm also paying cash to HDB on top of my CPF deduction.

Should I stick with the current monthly CPF + cash contribution to HDB and slowly able to grow my CPF OA, or

should I increase my monthly CPF payment to HDB and reduce on my monthly cash payment (cash growth), but CPF OA will not grow as each month, it's just go in, go out?

I understand that CPF is something that you won't ever be able to get your hands on and that cash will always be yours no matter what but I'm not sure if this is a wise move?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

It's your choice really....

Did you know your CPF can be used for investment...if you are not sure look at STI ETFs...they pay dividends twice a year...

You may want to wait for the next down turn n nibble in bits...unless you feel the STI will chiong to 4000 points n beyond in not so distant future..

For other shares there is a ratio or percentage of your OA that you can use...i was told STI etf can use way past the limit they set for normal shares...

If you decide to use more cpf to pay thats also ok...reducing your loan n be debt free a lot sooner too...

Its what you do with the extra income....dont squander it all away...lol

Go check with your frens into stocks etc

Regards

On 01/08/2017 at 4:00 PM, Guest Guest said:

So best is to go for BTO flats.....you are the first owner lor. Unless the BTO is built on burial grounds. Hahahahaha....

21 minutes ago, HydroNaut said:

So best is to go for BTO flats.....you are the first owner lor. Unless the BTO is built on burial grounds. Hahahahaha....

You are the first lessee, you don't own it.

Yes, can use CPF for investment.  You can even top up your CPF which earn you much higher interest than the bank.  Amount topped up is also tax deductible.  There is also a SRS scheme where topped up money can use to buy insurance and bank fixed deposit. So you are a high income earner but paid low tax.

But wait - you can't get back the money until you reach 65.  And by very low installment.  You have to live beyond 90 to exhaust your saving nest.  

Don't read and response to guests' post

2 minutes ago, Marineboy said:

So what is a mature estate...Bidadari matured from what? hahaha

This you have to go ask hdb how they plan which estate is mature and non-mature. Bidadari is definitely a mature estate.

• 3 months later...

A first timer who is interested in buying a hdb

Background

- 35 yrs old earning at least 6k, hence bto is out for me :(. I can only look at resale.

- Personally looking for 3 room flats

1) How do u generally look for a hdb? I been sourcing through various online portals and it seems that the postings are repetitive. I don't know which agents to trust.

2) The listed price on the online portals, how much reduction can we bargain for?

3) Can I rent out rooms after I bought it since I don't have hdb grant at all?

2 hours ago, Guest unsure said:

Background

- 35 yrs old earning at least 6k, hence bto is out for me :(. I can only look at resale.

1) How do u generally look for a hdb? I been sourcing through various online portals and it seems that the postings are repetitive. I don't know which agents to trust.

2) The listed price on the online portals, how much reduction can we bargain for?

1. Either you go through the portals and verify the listings one by one or you can appoint an agent to do that for you. Of course, once you appoint an agent to do that, be prepared to pay a commission fee when successful. 

2) Listed price always varies. Some owners are prepared to reduce more, others hardly willing to negotiate. It's a lengthy process that takes time.

3) You can rent out the rooms as long as you stay there.

If you are interested, I can help you through the process. I'm a licensed agent.

On 8/14/2017 at 8:34 PM, firereaver said:

I have a question.

I recently changed my job with a slightly higher salary thus providing me with a higher monthly CPF contribution towards my Ordinary Account (OA). I'm also paying cash to HDB on top of my CPF deduction.

Should I stick with the current monthly CPF + cash contribution to HDB and slowly able to grow my CPF OA, or

should I increase my monthly CPF payment to HDB and reduce on my monthly cash payment (cash growth), but CPF OA will not grow as each month, it's just go in, go out?

I understand that CPF is something that you won't ever be able to get your hands on and that cash will always be yours no matter what but I'm not sure if this is a wise move?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

You can't really do much with the CPF OA money, actually. 

However, if the monthly cash outlay for your HDB flat is pinching you a bit tight, you may wish to get HDB to re-assess your monthly repayment amount higher so that you don't need to fork out that much more cash every month. That way, you can use the cash for other expenses.

If not, I would suggest leaving the extra bit inside the OA, since its 2.5% +1% interest is hard to beat. When you saved up at least 5k inside, you can then do a partial repayment of your principal loan with it, thereby further reducing your monthly repayment amount. Leaving it inside your OA to earn 3.5% is much better than putting it in your bank and earning that little bit.

However, like I said, if you do not need the extra cash on hand, then just leave the status quo.

Take note though, that your fire insurance and Dependent Protection Scheme insurance deducts their premiums from your OA also. If not, you'd probably have to top up cash for them.

TL;DR:

If you can find somewhere with better than 3.5% returns with ZERO risk, ZERO admin fees, then increase your CPF deductions for your monthly repayment so you have more cash on hand for that investment.

If, for whatever reasons you require more cash on hand, e.g. for a buffer, then also increase your CPF deductions for your monthly repayment so you don't have to use more of your cash.

Otherwise, just leave the extra money in your OA to earn the higher interest. When you accumulate at least 5k in it, you can then use it for a partial principal repayment of your housing loan, thereby reducing your monthly repayment amount.

Hope that helps.

7 hours ago, Guest unsure said:

Background

1) Location, Location, LOCATION.

Unless you intend to move out / buy new flat after staying in there for 5 years, then this place would probably be the place you're gonna stay in for the rest of your life.

Choose wisely. :D Other things to consider also proximity to parents' house for the extra grant.

I used PropertyGuru. Not sure about the authenticity of other websites, though. Anyway, the HDB website has very good guides on buying a resale flat (http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/buying-a-flat/resale) Check it out. I suggest going through the list of the properties that you are interested in, narrowing it down by specifying LOCATION, TYPE (3R/4R/5R), etc. Take a look at their pictures on the website. If don't have, take down the address, go to that particular unit and have a look-see for yourself, with your own eyes. Slowly reject those that you deem unsuitable for your needs. You should then have a final list of about 5-10 flats. Contact ALL of these. Talk to the owner, if it is the owner ownself selling, or talk to the agent and request for a viewing of the flat. After seeing the condition of the house and the local surroundings, you are then better able to negotiate the prices. Ask how much the owner is looking for so you have an idea. Use the hdb e-service to look at the prices of similar flats near that area to compare the prices also, so you don't get carrot-chopped. xD

The website will show some recent transaction prices by flat types. Use that as a gauge and probably a tool to help you nego the price down. 

2) Depending on how well your nego skills are, and how desperate the sellers are. But if you're looking at prime/developed  areas, then don't expect a great reduction. Check out the hdb website for the resale transaction prices for a guide.

3) I think you're still bound by the Minimum Occupation Period of 5 years, so cannot (unless you under the table, which in that case, don't get caught :P).

Hope that helps. 

22 hours ago, Nipoet said:

1) Location, Location, LOCATION.

Unless you intend to move out / buy new flat after staying in there for 5 years, then this place would probably be the place you're gonna stay in for the rest of your life.

Choose wisely. :D Other things to consider also proximity to parents' house for the extra grant.

I used PropertyGuru. Not sure about the authenticity of other websites, though. Anyway, the HDB website has very good guides on buying a resale flat (http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/buying-a-flat/resale) Check it out. I suggest going through the list of the properties that you are interested in, narrowing it down by specifying LOCATION, TYPE (3R/4R/5R), etc. Take a look at their pictures on the website. If don't have, take down the address, go to that particular unit and have a look-see for yourself, with your own eyes. Slowly reject those that you deem unsuitable for your needs. You should then have a final list of about 5-10 flats. Contact ALL of these. Talk to the owner, if it is the owner ownself selling, or talk to the agent and request for a viewing of the flat. After seeing the condition of the house and the local surroundings, you are then better able to negotiate the prices. Ask how much the owner is looking for so you have an idea. Use the hdb e-service to look at the prices of similar flats near that area to compare the prices also, so you don't get carrot-chopped. xD

The website will show some recent transaction prices by flat types. Use that as a gauge and probably a tool to help you nego the price down. 

2) Depending on how well your nego skills are, and how desperate the sellers are. But if you're looking at prime/developed  areas, then don't expect a great reduction. Check out the hdb website for the resale transaction prices for a guide.

3) I think you're still bound by the Minimum Occupation Period of 5 years, so cannot (unless you under the table, which in that case, don't get caught :P).

Hope that helps. 

1.) Don't think extra housing grant is for single, they should be for married couple only:

"The Proximity Housing Grant (PHG) of $20,000 has been introduced to further help families who want to buy a resale flat, to live in with or near their parents/ married child. Eligible singles will also enjoy a PHG of $10,000 if they buy a resale flat with their parents."

2.) buying or selling, time is money, do not rush to complete a deal

3.) less than 5 years as long as owner stay in 1 room, the other additional rooms can be rented out, just remember to register with hdb

i wonder anyone has knocked down, at least part of the toilet wall for new bto flats???

hdb rule is CANNOT knock the floor tiles due to water-proofing work... but instruction for hacking down toilet wall is not clearly stated.

please share. thanks

14 minutes ago, mith said:

i wonder anyone has knocked down, at least part of the toilet wall for new bto flats???

hdb rule is CANNOT knock the floor tiles due to water-proofing work... but instruction for hacking down toilet wall is not clearly stated.

please share. thanks

i dont think the keyword is BTO

if u r speaking generally about toilet wall, I believe there are many have knocked dwn part of the wall to do connection to another rm

if u have read those renovation pages , many homeowners even have no walls to their toilets/bathrm using glass fully

now, back to sudden change to floor tiles, yes indeed cannot remove them but but you could overlay new designs/tiles which u  love on them

but what is the price for doing that?

U have to pay the price of remove your toilet bowls , door of that bathrm etc so as to do the overlaying and then after laying (height of the floor increase), then u put it back ....

Hope this answers your qns?

On 11/28/2017 at 3:31 PM, -Ignored- said:

i dont think the keyword is BTO

if u r speaking generally about toilet wall, I believe there are many have knocked dwn part of the wall to do connection to another rm

if u have read those renovation pages , many homeowners even have no walls to their toilets/bathrm using glass fully

now, back to sudden change to floor tiles, yes indeed cannot remove them but but you could overlay new designs/tiles which u  love on them

but what is the price for doing that?

U have to pay the price of remove your toilet bowls , door of that bathrm etc so as to do the overlaying and then after laying (height of the floor increase), then u put it back ....

Hope this answers your qns?

thanks, but the keyword is indeed BTO.

i know for sure the wall of resale flats' toilet SURE can hack n knock down.

what i  really wanna know if anyone has got approval from HDB to knock down part, or whole WALL of BTO flat toilet wall.

i am not interested in toilet floor tiles, or over laying them. 

Edited by mith

11 minutes ago, mith said:

thanks, but the keyword is indeed BTO.

i know for sure the wall of resale flats' toilet SURE can hack n knock down.

what i  really wanna know if anyone has got approval from HDB to knock down part, or whole WALL of BTO flat toilet wall.

i am not interested in toilet floor tiles, or over laying them. 

oh, in your post, I saw floor tiles

I don't think BTO has a different set of rules from the non BTOs

4 hours ago, mith said:

u mean can hack bto toilet WALL loh....???

Walls- whether to b able to hacked is depending on whether it is structurally needed(regardless it s toilet or living rm walls)

those walls ie not permissible are coloured in black

why cant u go dwnload a floor plan and seek clarificatn here??

and

as i hve mentioned, many have hacked toilets to make it open concept or to smaller it

your contractor still need to submit a permit bTo or non bto at all cases of hacking even though we all knew it s possible

Can someone help to ans???!! Aiyo

This qn has been dragged for sometime...which is why i proposed if u felt clarificatn is nt clear, at the v beginning shd paste the floor plan here

if nt call up hDB and asked it once and for all, u bought their flat! Or planning to get fr them

if nt frens all in such line, shd b able to assist

my frens r all decades of experience in real estate, helping clients to rent condo etc

proper maintenance upon returning

and i mentioned, specifically bTo is nt the key,

so? the floor plan is the key, 1 cant move on w/o plans

Guest Vincent

Hi guys, need your advice what to do with our house if there is paranormal activity? Our place is near telok blangah. Should I tell the agent or buyer the truth? It has been a month now since the activity is happening.

14 minutes ago, Guest Vincent said:

Hi guys, need your advice what to do with our house if there is paranormal activity? Our place is near telok blangah. Should I tell the agent or buyer the truth? It has been a month now since the activity is happening.

Wow?! Is that true??? Can share more?!

u r not joking bah, can pM me to share

Sounds so interesting

i thk it depends on whether it s due to some other reasons, if u didnt investigate it thoroughly .... 

Guest Vincent

My tenant left already. He said his tv always turn on automatically at night with very loud volume. The light bulb always get broken. Replaced it 9 times already. Sometimes I hear shower is on but no one inside the bsthroom.

8 hours ago, Guest Vincent said:

My tenant left already. He said his tv always turn on automatically at night with very loud volume. The light bulb always get broken. Replaced it 9 times already. Sometimes I hear shower is on but no one inside the bsthroom.

oh, cant u verify this? I don't wish to believe his words

get broken? means shattered all the time?

use some recordings then

On 12/1/2017 at 10:25 AM, -Ignored- said:

Walls- whether to b able to hacked is depending on whether it is structurally needed(regardless it s toilet or living rm walls)

those walls ie not permissible are coloured in black

why cant u go dwnload a floor plan and seek clarificatn here??

and

as i hve mentioned, many have hacked toilets to make it open concept or to smaller it

your contractor still need to submit a permit bTo or non bto at all cases of hacking even though we all knew it s possible

Can someone help to ans???!! Aiyo

This qn has been dragged for sometime...which is why i proposed if u felt clarificatn is nt clear, at the v beginning shd paste the floor plan here

if nt call up hDB and asked it once and for all, u bought their flat! Or planning to get fr them

if nt frens all in such line, shd b able to assist

my frens r all decades of experience in real estate, helping clients to rent condo etc

proper maintenance upon returning

and i mentioned, specifically bTo is nt the key,

so? the floor plan is the key, 1 cant move on w/o plans

thanks. 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:22 AM, Guest Vincent said:

If the place is "dirty", it should happen from day one but looks like your case is quite recently....there is no requirement to tell agent or buyer, chances are if u told them, they will not want to buy, maybe the previous owner also experience but never say anything, if he had, will u still buy then?

22 hours ago, Guest Vincent said:

intersting find among other info of the area: http://www.api.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556

and here're suggestions available: https://www.americanhauntingsink.com/whattodo/

and another worth trying without much expense: get a bible or two and place in strategic spots, even on your bed to sleep with

this is still related about (flat) ownership, with a peace of mind.

btw, we shall be discerning about balance of sales flats too, especially concerning unoccupied/returned back units anywhere.

Edited by cmlf

• 4 weeks later...

Understanding what happens at the end of a 99-year lease

Calling for a reality check on surging resale prices for ageing 99-year leasehold properties, National Development Minister Lawrence Wong raised eyebrows in March when he reminded Housing Board residents that the Selective En bloc Redevelopment Scheme (Sers) will not apply to all flats, only a few. This led to a discussion on what it means to have the value of leasehold homes depreciate to zero. With 70,000 of the total stock of one million HDB flats at more than 40 years old, nearly 10 per cent of today's public housing will face lease expiry in 50 years.

The owners of 60-year leasehold private terrace houses along Geylang Lorong 3 got a taste of the process earlier this year. For the first time, Singapore Land Authority officers had to explain the lease expiry process, which means that owners have to vacate their property - in this case, by Dec 31, 2020 - with no compensation. While some owners had asked about the possibility of lease renewal, the authority said that, as a general policy, the land will return to the State upon lease expiry.

Of course, informing the owners of 191 affected homes - of which only 39 were owner-occupied - is a vastly different affair from a hypothetical scenario affecting tens of thousands of HDB flats in half-a-century's time. For home owners forking out high amounts for ageing flats in the hope of cashing in on Sers - widely considered a windfall, with its compensation based on current resale prices and the option to buy a new 99-year lease flat in the vicinity - Mr Wong's blog post in March was seen as a cautionary note. He reminded HDB dwellers that Sers remains a highly selective scheme, with only 4 per cent of HDB flats, or 80 sites, chosen since the scheme started in 1995. The conditions are strict: It is granted only to HDB blocks on sites with the potential to be redeveloped - where typically the land has not been well utilised. Suitable replacement sites for residents must be available. The Government's financial resources also have to be considered.

The message was loud and clear: For most flats, the land will return to the State at the end of 99 years. But the implications for HDB dwellers are less certain: What happens when the steady and steep depreciation of these HDB flats threatens to wipe out what many count on as a retirement asset? In a subsequent post, Mr Wong assured home owners that leasehold properties are still a good store of asset value, so long as one plans ahead and makes prudent housing decisions. But no one should be under the illusion that the value of an HDB flat will increase ad infinitum. After all, Central Provident Fund usage and HDB loans are restricted to the purchase of flats with a remaining lease of less than 60 years. Then there is a sharp fall in value when an HDB flat crosses 64 years of age - when the lease remaining is less than 35 years and bank loan restrictions kick in. And when the flat reaches 69 years, CPF savings cannot be used to finance the mortgages.

So even though the oldest HDB flats - located in Jurong East, Geylang and Queenstown - turn 99 only in about 50 years' time, home owners must plan ahead now. In particular, Mr Wong advised young couples to buy a home "that covers you and your spouse to age 95". In the near term, observers are keeping an eye out on whether ageing flats nearing particular milestones will see price fluctuations due to would-be owners factoring in their depreciating value. And for owners looking to buy a home in 2018 and the years ahead, they can avoid making painful mistakes - and being left without a roof over their head - by remembering that the 99-year lease is, for the most part, guaranteed: Nothing more and nothing less.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, thickhead79 said:

i moved in 4 mths enjoying now

can have fun NOW

2 room means just 1 bedroom, a living rm/hall and a kitchen - it is for singles abv 40yo right?

location are at the extreme areas? eg punggol , sengkang etc

17 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

can have fun NOW

2 room means just 1 bedroom, a living rm/hall and a kitchen - it is for singles abv 40yo right?

Not above 40yo, but 35yo can start apply for bto alrd and yes usually at ulu places non mature estate and max 2room bto. Mean 1 bedroom only. 

Just a thought, some disadvantage 

1. U need to wait 3yrs for completion 

2. Only u urself or with partner can stay there, no passive income from renting out other room

3.  Far away n in the middle of hdb town, its like everywhere i see only hdb n more hdb. Thats what i feel when i travel on those LRTs

Advantage;

1. Affordable 

2. Brand new house

Pls free to add. 

1 minute ago, Guest Gaia said:

Not above 40yo, but 35yo can start apply for bto alrd and yes usually at ulu places non mature estate and max 2room bto. Mean 1 bedroom only. 

2. Only u urself or with partner can stay there, no passive income from renting out other room

3.  Far away n in the middle of hdb town, its like everywhere i see only hdb n more hdb. Thats what i feel when i travel on those LRTs

Advantage;

1. Affordable 

2. Brand new house

Pls free to add. 

generally, this is most can afford : shoebox ( I don't even feel large enough if it is a normal 3 rm flat and I don't even have a big family to talk about)

in addition, many elderly opt to stay in such size flats designed for the eldery

for those who don't like outsiders in/out their flat will prefer this method, I have a question, who clean up the rooms/flat if u rent your place to outsiders? is it the owner, or the users have to rotate to clean up? hw about common area like kitchen , common toilet?

for me, it must be in the city or downtown , no way for other areas

I stop visiting all friends and relatives who r living at those areas, they r free to comeby though

General practice that i know 

If u rent out your spare common room, and u as owner also stay there, tenant responsible for cleanliness on his own room n common toilet,  the rest like kitchen n living room owner still clean himself. Of course common sense if he use kitchen have to clean up his own mess. 

If u rent out whole flat then tenant have to clean whole flat. 

This thing usually mentioned clearly on contract, and landlord always keep deposit just in case they mess it up to the irreparable point

3 minutes ago, Guest Gaia said:

General practice that i know 

If u rent out your spare common room, and u as owner also stay there, tenant responsible for cleanliness on his own room n common toilet,  the rest like kitchen n living room owner still clean himself. Of course common sense if he use kitchen have to clean up his own mess. 

If u rent out whole flat then tenant have to clean whole flat. 

This thing usually mentioned clearly on contract, and landlord always keep deposit just in case they mess it up to the irreparable point

reason why I raised is cos some hdb owners they might rent just one room (not whole flat , while waiting for more tenants possibly) and they go live elsewhere , so   m wondering do the owner come back and tidy up regularly as in weekly?

I trust many rent without formal contract too

17 hours ago, Guest Gaia said:

Advantage;

1. Affordable 

2. Brand new house

Pls free to add. 

A fresh 99 year lease to start off but the resale opportunity remain to be seen, the target market for a 2 room flat is definitely more niche as compared to the rest, this in turn may affect the resale price :whistle:

12 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

A fresh 99 year lease to start off but the resale opportunity remain to be seen, the target market for a 2 room flat is definitely more niche as compared to the rest, this in turn may affect the resale price :whistle:

But if you are 55 and above, or when you reach 55, you can choose to/or convert to the 2 room flexi scheme whereby the lease is between 15 to 40 years, depending on your age and sell back the remaining lease to HDB. 

55 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

reason why I raised is cos some hdb owners they might rent just one room (not whole flat , while waiting for more tenants possibly) and they go live elsewhere , so   m wondering do the owner come back and tidy up regularly as in weekly?

I trust many rent without formal contract too

I think in this case owner should come to clean once a week, but its all depend on what agreed between both parties 

10 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

can have fun NOW

u are just too extreme hahaha

single bto scheme is for 35yo above

i stay Yishun

waiting mrt to be ready in 2019

11 hours ago, thickhead79 said:

u are just too extreme hahaha

single bto scheme is for 35yo above

i stay Yishun

waiting mrt to be ready in 2019

There is also one for 55yo and above in mature estates, cheaper but less than 99 years lease. Can select from 15 to 40 years lease. 

• Guest locked this topic
  • Guest unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.