Male HQ

Covid Situation in SG discussion (compiled)

Guest Sianz

COVID-19: Tighter restrictions will buy S’pore more time to roll out booster shots: PM Lee

Singapore ― Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Friday (Sept 24) that the new measures announced by the multi-ministry taskforce (MTF) for Covid-19 should buy the country more time to deliver booster shots to people and vaccinate the remaining population.

On Friday, the MTF, along with the Ministry of Health (MOH), revealed that if infections continue at its current trajectory, “we can expect to reach a daily count of 3,200 and beyond within the next two weeks.”

As a result, stricter restrictions were imposed. They will take place beginning Monday (Sept 27) until Oct 24, 2021.

Permissible group sizes for social gatherings will be reduced from a maximum of five persons to two persons.

At the same time, the number of unique visitors per household will be reduced to two per day.

Work from home will be the default for employees able to do so, and home-based learning will also be extended until Oct 7, 2021.

Groups of up to 2 persons, down from the current limit of five persons, will be allowed to dine-in at regular F&B establishments if all diners are fully vaccinated.

The new measures should “help us get safely to being a Covid-19 resilient nation,” said Mr Lee in a Facebook post on Friday.

He noted that the decision aims to protect the capacity of the healthcare system.

“We are ramping up our operations to support fully vaccinated Covid-19 cases who recover at home,” said Mr Lee.

He assured the public that the government was supporting businesses affected by the new restrictions.

Meanwhile, the new Community Treatment Facilities (CTF) will provide closer monitoring and management of stable patients with co-morbidities and who are otherwise asymptomatic or have no symptoms.

“By placing more Covid-19 patients in the CTFs, we will free up hospital beds for more serious cases,” he added.

Mr Lee said, “The new measures will give us more time to deliver booster shots to people and vaccinate those still not vaccinated.”

As the Covid-19 pandemic develops, he noted that the country has to adapt its response to the virus.

“I know the changes can be confusing and unsettling, but please bear with us. We will work closely with you to protect all our families.”

Tan Kin Lian does not agree Ong Ye Kung should step down as Health Minister

Singapore — With the recent surge in Covid-19 cases, some Singaporeans have expressed dissatisfaction with Health Minister Ong Ye Kung’s handling of the pandemic situation, with a petition even circulating online calling for his resignation.

On Friday (Sept 24) Singapore saw its largest number of new cases to date, with 1,504 people testing positive for Covid.

Mr Ong has called the surge in infections a “rite of passage” on the road to normalcy and warned that the journey to reopening would be “uncertain and full of twists and turns.”

But the Health Minister has found support from a rather unlikely source, Singaporean businessman and social activist Tan Kin Lian.

Mr Tan, who ran for president in the 2011 election, has been a vocal critic of the People’s Action Party government. However, in a Facebook post on Friday morning, he wrote that he does not agree with the petition calling for Mr Ong’s resignation.

Instead, he praised him for his actions and wished him well.

“There is a petition asking for OYK to step down for his poor handling of the pandemic, which has led to the big spike in infections and illness.

I do not agree with this petition. I did not sign it.

I believe that OYK is taking the right approach. Although the spike was faster and worse than expected, this is part of the uncertainty of life.

We need to take a decision and deal with the consequence.

He is taking the appropriate actions, e.g. to increase the hospital capacity, to deal with the spike.

I wish OYK all the best in dealing with this latest event,” wrote Mr Tan.

On his blog, the former presidential candidate wrote further on the issue of spiking Covid cases. While he understands that people are angry and feel that “ministers are only fighting fires, one after another,” he underlined that the situation carries a lot of uncertainty.

Mr Tan added that the surge in Covid infections was also beyond what the ministers had expected. Again, he put in a good word for them, writing:

“Having learned about the spike, they are taking the appropriate actions to deal with the new situation.

I do not agree with the ministers on many of the actions that they took in the past to deal with the pandemic. My disagreement are based on their response to the known data. I think that they took many wrong decisions. I have expressed my differing views on several occasions.

I believe that they have taken the right decision to relax the restrictions and allow life to return to normal, as much as is possible. Although the spike in infections and illness is faster that they had expected, I do not fault them.

I also consider that their response to the new situation to be quite good.”

On 9/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, Guest KumLan公主 said:

Now daily cases 1500+.

Eveeyday record high!  My overseas frds all shocked to know.

I also dare not eat cocks....scare kena covid.

No need to scared. It’s just like flu

On 9/26/2021 at 2:11 PM, Guest Fatty said:

But i tot they promise that if 80% n above are vaccinated ( and as a result, covid become common flu), we are free. Why this tighten measure again? Are we missing something?

On 9/26/2021 at 2:11 PM, Guest Fatty said:

exactly ! still I don't understand why majority(I might be incorrect, but this is what I found from comments on CNA articles) of Singaporeans are quite happy with the restrictions and some even want total lockdown 

On 9/26/2021 at 5:44 PM, Guest Guest said:

But i tot they promise that if 80% n above are vaccinated ( and as a result, covid become common flu), we are free. Why this tighten measure again? Are we missing something?

1. It turns out that the vaccines are only approx 40% effective against infection by the Delta variant. 

2. The Delta is very much more transmissible than the original strain.

3. There is a possibility that the vaccines' efficacy wane after several months.

These factors make the spread much faster than they had expected. MOH seems overwhelmed at the moment. 

The saving grace is that the vaccines are still very effective in preventing serious illnesses. We can continue on the path towards endemic covid. But tightening measures need to be put in place to slow the spread down to a pace which the hospitals can handle. 

Each of us should be mentally prepared that we may have a brush with covid. Good to be prepared beforehand. 

Useful articles:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/what-to-do-if-you-are-a-close-contact-of-a-covid-19-case

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/what-happens-when-you-test-positive-for-covid-19-10-important-steps

Edited by Derren

On 9/26/2021 at 5:44 PM, Guest Guest said:

We need blessings from all different kind of God to not having to go through another CB. The reason they push for 80% so that they can open up to foreigners and not set free sporean.

They  overestimate the vaccination effective rate and underestimate the Indian variant spread. We can only open up when the numbers are single digit so that even when it double up,  we have time to get the booster shot up. Not when u have  few hundred then is very easy to hit few thousand. 

But of course as usual,  they did not expect this to happen.

Edited by lonelyglobe

The fear of COVID-19 is doing more harm to us than COVID-19 itself. The sad thing is we don't have numbers to justify this similar to numbers of people infected with COVID-19. Dunno when will we realise this and move in life like the western countries. We have already lost 2 precious years of our lifetime and there is no end to this in SG

On 9/27/2021 at 3:25 PM, Guest hello said:

The fear of COVID-19 is doing more harm to us than COVID-19 itself. The sad thing is we don't have numbers to justify this similar to numbers of people infected with COVID-19. Dunno when will we realise this and move in life like the western countries. We have already lost 2 precious years of our lifetime and there is no end to this in SG

You mean move on like this?

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/covid-19-toll-in-us-surpasses-1918-pandemic-deaths

Covid-19 toll in US surpasses 1918 pandemic deaths

PUBLISHED

• SEP 21, 2021, 6:59 AM SGT

NEW YORK (BLOOMBERG) - The US' Covid-19 pandemic has surpassed the number of dead in the 1918 influenza pandemic as soon as Monday (Sept 20), a milestone many experts say was avoidable after the arrival of vaccines.

The US has reported 675,446 deaths since the start of the pandemic, according to Johns Hopkins University data - more than the 675,000 that are estimated to have died a century earlier.

On 9/27/2021 at 12:46 AM, Guest Guest said:

You mean move on like this?

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/covid-19-toll-in-us-surpasses-1918-pandemic-deaths

Covid-19 toll in US surpasses 1918 pandemic deaths

PUBLISHED

• SEP 21, 2021, 6:59 AM SGT

NEW YORK (BLOOMBERG) - The US' Covid-19 pandemic has surpassed the number of dead in the 1918 influenza pandemic as soon as Monday (Sept 20), a milestone many experts say was avoidable after the arrival of vaccines.

The US has reported 675,446 deaths since the start of the pandemic, according to Johns Hopkins University data - more than the 675,000 that are estimated to have died a century earlier.

Wow! Really SALUTE sg gov for doing a GREAT JOB! Look at other countries?

We are indeed very lucky in Sg.

Let’s all support the sg gov and not spread hate about them anymore. Every one of them deserve our respect.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, Guest Guest said:

Let’s all support the sg gov and not spread hate about them anymore. Every one of them deserve our respect.

Great job? Singapore Covid death numbers have long already exceeded the previous SARS death count. 

And yeah .... people are so lucky to be in Singapore:  The number of infected is even higher than that in Cambodia, Myanmar and even Indonesia. Yes, support the government, and give them honest feedback and tell them the truth that they are doing a crappy job and they should step down. LKY would have a few of their heads rolling by now. 

On 9/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, Guest Guest said:

Yes , so lucky to be in SG, best govt in the world. Hope the govt imposes a total lockdown soon and permanently close the borders so virus can't come

On 9/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, Guest Guest said:

Yes , so lucky to be in SG, best govt in the world. Hope the govt imposes a total lockdown soon and permanently close the borders so virus can't come

Did that last year. Outcome was pandemic was pretty much in control if not for the incompetence of JoTeo at the dorms.

Then along came the MOT Minister OYK who let the Indian virus in, and that's the same MOH Minister OYK who now feels that the best way to handle the virus which he let in, was to let the virus continue to spread and ravage and let Singaporeans die. 

I suspect that when the government first tossed around the phrases "live with Covid" and "endemic", most Singaporeans didn't quite understand all the implications. I wonder if it was kept intentionally vague to avoid inducing panic and resistance. We were fixated on the goal to get 70% of the population vaccinated. Now Singaporeans are slowly waking up to what the plan really entails. 

The plan is to allow the virus circulate among the population. When enough people have developed immunity from either natural infection or vaccine, the transmission will eventually slow down and become manageable. How many people is enough? I haven't found the answer.

The tricky part is not to let the virus circulate so quickly that our hospitals are swarmed. 

Our hospitals seem ready for the plan. But MOH could have done a much better job getting prepared for Home Recovery etc. They were projecting 3,000 cases a day but were overwhelmed when it barely got past 1,000. Now there is talk of 5,000 cases or even more a day. Hope MOH has learnt how to scale up quickly. 

With the large number of infected cases, sadly the number of deaths will inevitably rise. But there is no other "endgame" scenario. The only alternative I can think of is a lockdown with no end in sight. Many families have endured financial hardship for the past 2 years. How many more livelihoods would suffer with an indefinite lockdown? Ultimately it's the poor who would suffer the most. 

Edited by Derren

On 9/27/2021 at 7:57 PM, Guest Guest said:

Did that last year. Outcome was pandemic was pretty much in control if not for the incompetence of JoTeo at the dorms.

Then along came the MOT Minister OYK who let the Indian virus in, and that's the same MOH Minister OYK who now feels that the best way to handle the virus which he let in, was to let the virus continue to spread and ravage and let Singaporeans die. 

The best is mess up in one ministry don't need to be responsible and can transfer to other ministry to create further mess. 

On 9/27/2021 at 10:45 PM, Derren said:

The plan is to allow the virus circulate among the population. When enough people have developed immunity from either natural infection or vaccine, the transmission will eventually slow down and become manageable. How many people is enough? I haven't found the answer.

If we can hit 90% vaccination rate,  base on 5.5m, that will be 4,950,000 vaccinated. Remaining 10% or 550,000 through infection. Based on current death rate,  that will be about 495. Currently we are approaching 100,000 with 78 death, still a long way to go. 

On 9/27/2021 at 2:25 AM, Guest hello said:

Those whose fear of covid-19 inflicts them more harm than the covid-19 itself...  belong to a psychiatric ward to be treated for such mental problem.

Get vaccinated, follow safety precautions, avoid big crowds and stay calm.  What are 2 years out of a life of 80 or 100 years?

I suspect that when the government first tossed around the phrases "live with Covid" and "endemic", most Singaporeans didn't quite understand all the implications. I wonder if it was kept intentionally vague to avoid inducing panic and resistance. We were fixated on the goal to get 70% of the population vaccinated. Now Singaporeans are slowly waking up to what the plan really entails. 

This notion of living with Covid was brought up way after the 70% vaccination rate. If people had known that is what the government is going to do, I think many people won't have gone for the vaccination because that will only encourage the government to approve more COVID deaths sooner. 

With the large number of infected cases, sadly the number of deaths will inevitably rise. But there is no other "endgame" scenario.

So which endgame scenario do you like for the ones who wanted to kill off populations to save resources? 

Thanos Thor GIF - Thanos Thor Cut Off - Discover & Share GIFs 

Thanos Avengers Endgame GIF - Thanos Avengers Endgame Dust - Discover &  Share GIFs

With the large number of infected cases, sadly the number of deaths will inevitably rise. But there is no other "endgame" scenario. The only alternative I can think of is a lockdown with no end in sight. Many families have endured financial hardship for the past 2 years. How many more livelihoods would suffer with an indefinite lockdown? Ultimately it's the poor who would suffer the most. 

They're not willing to spend more money. So no more lock down. And even when they did, they spent the bulk of the money helping mostly the biggest employers pay salaries. The poor who suffered most? who cares??

Wanna know where all those COVID grants went to? Here's the confession straight from the horse's mouth, and remember this when the taxes, CPF rates or Medishield premiums get increased next time, OK?  

Lian Beng says Covid-19 government grants helped boost remuneration for key execs, Companies & Markets - THE BUSINESS TIMES 

Lian Beng says Covid-19 government grants helped boost remuneration for key execs

BUILDING contractor Lian Beng Group has disclosed that government grants received to help defray additional operating costs due to the Covid-19 pandemic had factored into higher remuneration payable to its key executives for the FY2021 ended May.

"The remuneration payable to the key executives of the company includes a bonus component which is calculated based on the overall general profitability of the group. Both the additional operating costs incurred due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic and government grants received to help defray such costs were included in the computation," the group said in a bourse filing on Monday.

"The slight increase in remuneration is in line with the slight increase in profitability of the group," it added.

The statement was in response to a question the company had received from a shareholder ahead of its annual general meeting (AGM) on Tuesday.

The shareholder had asked the group why the remuneration for its key executives was higher than the previous financial year when net profit, excluding government grants, was lower.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, Derren said:

"Singapore shows the world what ‘endemic’ COVID might look like"?? And this show is coming at the expense of whose deaths? Are those dead going to win any posthumous Oscars award for getting into the show? 

And the best part is this: those who are dead are mainly the elderly who had supported the PAP since 1959 over the past 62 years. Let this be a learning point for all the younger ones: loyalty to the country and loyalty to the party are two different matters.  

On 9/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, Guest Guest said:

"Singapore shows the world what ‘endemic’ COVID might look like"?? And this show is coming at the expense of whose deaths? Are those dead going to win any posthumous Oscars award for getting into the show? 

And the best part is this: those who are dead are mainly the elderly who had supported the PAP since 1959 over the past 62 years. Let this be a learning point for all the younger ones: loyalty to the country and loyalty to the party are two different matters.  

They say 我死都支持你

Translate: i support u till my last breadth.

The tricky part is not to let the virus circulate so quickly that our hospitals are swarmed. 

Our hospitals seem ready for the plan. But MOH could have done a much better job getting prepared for Home Recovery etc. They were projecting 3,000 cases a day but were overwhelmed when it barely got past 1,000. Now there is talk of 5,000 cases or even more a day. Hope MOH has learnt how to scale up quickly. 

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this discussion!

On 9/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, lonelyglobe said:

No problem,  still on the right track,  they are preparing for 5000 cases daily, everything still under control, anyway is just common flu. 

Just listened to radio 972, n the doc said up to 10,000 cases per day also possible.

Be prepared

On 9/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, lonelyglobe said:

No problem,  still on the right track,  they are preparing for 5000 cases daily, everything still under control, anyway is just common flu. 

Exactly, even cases crossed 2000 and everyday also have death, and seems like death per day is on the rise, and yet G still think they are on the right track and situation still well under control?! What a world class leaders we really have.

Our hospitals seem ready for the plan. But MOH could have done a much better job getting prepared for Home Recovery etc.

But yet, the hospitals are still getting swarmed to the extent that the increase in number of hospital beds is going to be done "at the expense of some degradation of normal services". So, is our hospital ready or not ready? 

On 9/29/2021 at 1:24 PM, Guest Wtf said:

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this discussion!

Your idea of sanity is to exchange human lives for economic growth? Well done .... come, I clap for you. 👏👏

Karma Cycle GIF - Karma Cycle Watching You - Discover & Share GIFs

On 9/28/2021 at 8:17 PM, Derren said:

Sg is setting an example for the world again👏👏👏

So now are we starting to see the gov all along having a clear direction to this pandemic. At first we were starting to panic at the high number of cases but now we understand it is nothing to be alarmed. At last can 放心了。

On 9/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, Guest Guest said:

But yet, the hospitals are still getting swarmed to the extent that the increase in number of hospital beds is going to be done "at the expense of some degradation of normal services". So, is our hospital ready or not ready? 

Your idea of sanity is to exchange human lives for economic growth? Well done .... come, I clap for you. 👏👏

I suppose Guest wtf belongs to the 61% group? 🙄

On 9/29/2021 at 5:40 PM, Nightingale said:

(Forwarded)

“Before any vaccine came along, if you got Covid and you die, it was because of your underlying condition.  Now got vaccine already, if you got Covid and you die, it was because you didn’t get yourself vaccinated.  But if you got yourself fully vaccinated and you still die, it was because of your underlying condition.  Soon, you have been offered the booster shot.  You didn’t go for it and if you die, it will be because you didn’t go for the booster shot.  And if you took the booster shot and if you still die, it was because of your underlying condition.”

May I know which expert said that ... like vicious cycle ... 😅

More and more dying, 8 RIP.

”Eight more people have passed away from complications due to Covid-19 infection.

Of these, five were male Singaporean and three were female Singaporeans. All were between the ages of 72 and 90 years old.

Amongst them, six had been unvaccinated against Covid-19, one had been partially vaccinated and one had been vaccinated. All of them had various underlying medical conditions.”

https://mothership.sg/2021/09/covid-19-update-sep-29/

On 9/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, Guest Guest said:

where were all your tears for the average of 600 people who die of the flu every year in Singapore? Spare me your pretending to be concerned for the lives of others - you don’t care at all about those flu victims but are just in a hysterical panic caused by ignorance and fear of COVID-19. Sooner you realize this, the better for your mental health.

Don’t forget to use the resources I sent you to help you cope with your anxiety. 

On 9/30/2021 at 11:36 AM, leo yok loo said:

Seems like we have no clear plan to contain the virus, no clear instructions for the ppl , not even a clear leader to lead MTF. Sigh...

Thought they have clear plan to continue to achieve their plan to open up and live with virus? Perhaps this is why even current 2000 cases and many death everyday they still think it is expected and under control?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.